[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quantum Mechanics

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: 99999999.png (263KB, 558x557px) Image search: [Google]
99999999.png
263KB, 558x557px
>think learning quantum mechanics would be cool
>learn about the double slit experiment

This keeps me up at night folks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP9KP-fwFhk
>>
>>34108648
>learning from a woman
cuck detected kys yourslefvs
>>
File: 1475796299934.jpg (65KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1475796299934.jpg
65KB, 1280x720px
>>34108984
good, spare yourself from knowing of the double slit experiment. I wish I never heard it
>>
File: 1455741278430.jpg (40KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1455741278430.jpg
40KB, 657x527px
What's the big deal about it? I don't understand psysics
>>
why? to me this just confirms that the universe is alive, every particle conscious and aware, an ocean of possibility within everyone and everything. no need for fear, anxiety and depression, even in the face of adversity. Pain and suffering are only momentary, but awareness is infinite, and since we are awareness we ourselves are infinite, we are god, and god is us. And we live within his imagination (the imagination of ourselves), i mean think about it, everything you see is nothing until it is processed through your mind. Pretty beautiful imo
>>
>>34109179
did you watch the whole experiment? Just by observing the partcles, they changed. This means the particles are traveling through time, appearing in every possible location until we observe it
>>
>>34109234
This. Watching PBS studios explain the double slit experiment lifted my existential dread for a while again.
>>
File: guE7LX0.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
guE7LX0.png
51KB, 657x527px
>>34108648
If u ar in 9rk, u are retartet.
So wy woudl stady psychics ? Ar u ddump ?
>>
>>34109179
The action of observing the particles had an affect on them

the simple action of being observed changed what it did
>>
>>34109272
observing the particles with tools that only register a certain behavior of those particles. whatever goes into the instrument loses the wave phenomenon on it's way out.

it's a dumb "explanation" meant for fans of pop sci where genetics determine everything and there are multiple universes. there's literally nothing interesting about the experiment unless you're thinking of inventing new tools to observe electrons. you just have to accept that current models of physics and chemistry are imprecise. Wow.
>>
>>34109273
Got a link to that?
>>
>>34109319
it doesn't make sense to me that observing something would change the nature of it, are you sure it's not just the fact that we can't observe the particle objectively and so when we observe it, we don't observe the qualities of the particle to be the exact same way we know them to be?
t. didn't watch the video and never learnt anything past newtonian mechanics
>>
>>34108648
This garbage isn't even quantum mechanics, the double slit experiment is unironically taught in high school physics classes now
>>
>>34109667
When you observe something it means interacting with it somehow. This is what causes the wavefunction to collapse. There is no way to 'objectively' observe something without interacting with it.
>>
>>34108648
Death is not real.
>>
File: 1482265195721.jpg (230KB, 705x720px) Image search: [Google]
1482265195721.jpg
230KB, 705x720px
>>34109667
You hit the particle with a tiny unit of light(proton) which knocks it out of its waveform

A good analogy would be like in halo reach when you turn around too wish or whatever the screen resolution goes down to save computational power
>>
>>34109781
it is merely transcendence
>>
>>34109765
Thank you, now I don't have to type angrily and call people idiots.
>>
>>34109179
Big particles act like how you'd expect, but small particles act like waves, except when they're forced to act like particles e.g. when observing them. That's fuggin creepy.

>>34109353
>>>34109272
>observing the particles with tools that only register a certain behavior of those particles. whatever goes into the instrument loses the wave phenomenon on it's way out.
It's not just our tools. Look up delayed choice experiments.

>>34109805
>You hit the particle with a tiny unit of light(proton) which knocks it out of its waveform
That's a popular explanation but it's completely wrong.
>A good analogy would be like in halo reach when you turn around too wish or whatever the screen resolution goes down to save computational power
Wat.
>>
>>34108648
It's why they tell you to have faith and why those who wander to find themselves almost always die.
>>
>>34108648
Oxford Physics here

AMA brainlets
>>
>>34110920
how to acquire a girlfriend.
>>
>>34111242
Hmm... that's a tough one. Out of my area of expertise unfortunately
>>
>>34110752
>>A good analogy would be like in halo reach when you turn around too wish or whatever the screen resolution goes down to save computational power
>Wat.
He worded it wrong but it's a decent analogy, basically in any videogames, you do not render everything at the same time, only what you need to see, which gives less operations to compute.
If you'd pause the operations and "looked" at an area far away from your position, there wouldn't be anything.
Unless you have a really slow computer, or some issues, that never really happens though.
>>
>>34110920
>AMA brainlets

Why don't physicists make a bigger deal of the double slit experiment results?

It's the weirdest thing in the world
>>
>>34111348
It's just a demonstration of a principle

The actual idea of uncertainty very much is a big deal. Quantum physics is largely based on it and obviously that also carries over into atomic physics, optics, material science etc.

We still can't "explain" the results in the sense of having some more basic theory we can derive the uncertainty principle etc from, but we can model it very accurately
>>
milesmathis.com

(you don't deserve this)
>>
>>34108648
Now look up stern gerlach.
>>
>>34108648
You dont "learn" quantum mechanics from youtube videos. You might learn some fun facts or the simplified theory, but its still just above buzzfeed tier material.

However I must admit its interesting. Id recomend A Brief History of Time by Hawkins. Its a bit outdated but its a good and entertaining read, after that you could look for more recent stuff. To truly "get" it youre going to have to study actual physics tho.
>>
File: 1483312047566.png (837KB, 963x936px) Image search: [Google]
1483312047566.png
837KB, 963x936px
>>34109272
wouldn`t that be because they`re too fast to be precisely measured?
>>
>>34108648
I've looked at less than half of the video, gonna take a guess and say electrons being both particles and waves doesn't seem too bad.

Water moves in waves but it's still combined of a lot of h2o molecules. What if electrons and all those little subatomic parts vibrate or move around enough to cause it to branch apart as they travel forward in a way which makes a bunch of electrons move like a wave?
>>
>>34111682
They could be measured at any speed, even at almost the speed of light.

>>34109272
No information about the particles was changed (well the measurement will have had an influence on momentum and direction but that isn't the main issue)

What is important that additional information was gathered about the particles and that changed their behaviour. That means that "the laws of physics" only have a limited amount of information available as well, and act based on probability

>inb4 some fags misinterprets this as "consciousness of the universe" or some shit

>>34111965
It's not just a bunch of electrons though. You can literally use a single electron at a time and it will still intefere with itself the same way a bunch of electrons would. An H2O particle wouldn't behave like a waterwave anymore on its own
>>
>>34108648
>electrons suffer from the heisenberg effect

ayyyyyyyyyyyyyy
>>
>>34112469
>suffer

I'm sure they feel real bad
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.