[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does talk therapy do anything for depression or anxiety? What

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: imgggg.png (454KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
imgggg.png
454KB, 1280x720px
Does talk therapy do anything for depression or anxiety? What are your anecdotes on its efficacy or lack thereof? I've tried medications to no avail.
>>
>>34082790
I didnt talk much so I dont know.
>>
>>34082790
The only thing that helped me was actually being commited. Though it sucked so much ass I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>34082841
I wish I had voluntarily committed myself some years back when my depression was at its worse. Instead I've done nothing about it and therefore can't get anywhere in life it seems. You would think your family would commit you once they saw you barely eating, sleeping, staying locked in a room all day.
>>
>>34082790
There are different kinds of conversational therapies, I tried one for five fucking years, in which I did all the talking, and it didn't really help, at all. Psychiatrist just sat there in his chair, listening emphatically, to what I had to say, and very rarely uttering a phrase of his own. Basically you could replace him with a fucking plant you put in the corner of your room, talk to it, and get the same result. So, if it has to be conversational therapy, I'd look for a therapist who talks back to you and holds a normal conversation with you, and not someone with a psychoanalytical background like my old shrink.

That's when I quit my shrink and started to look into studies comparing effectiveness of different therapies out there.

Statistically, CBT is more effective than conversational therapy. Also what really helped me against depression and anxiety was mindfulness. Maybe try to find a psychologist who offers MBCT (statistically also very effective against depression and anxiety). If you want I can give you a few saved links to free resources on mindfulness, if you're interested.
>>
>>34082968
> five years
Jesus

>Statistically, CBT is more effective than conversational therapy. Also what really helped me against depression and anxiety was mindfulness. Maybe try to find a psychologist who offers MBCT (statistically also very effective against depression and anxiety). If you want I can give you a few saved links to free resources on mindfulness, if you're interested
thanks for the advice. i'd be interested in seeing some mindfulness resources. can't see the harm in trying.
>>
>>34083025
probably the best free mindfulness resource out there if you're serious about it. 8 week program specifically tailored to reduce stress:
https://palousemindfulness.com/

same 8 week program, but tailored specifically to help against depression/anxiety, for cheap, but not for free:
https://www.amazon.com/Mindful-Way-Through-Depression-Unhappiness/dp/1593851286
https://www.amazon.com/Mindful-Way-through-Anxiety-Chronic/dp/1606234641/

here's a random article just to show that mindfulness actually helps with depression/anxiety:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/21/mindfulness-based-cognitive-therapy-treatment-chronic-depression-antidepressants

best way to learn it would probably be with a psychologist who offers MBCT, second best way with buying a book on amazon, third best way doing the palousemindfulness program. I don't know if it works for everyone, but it certainly helped me very much, more than pills and any other form of therapy ever did.
>>
>>34082790
depends on how self aware one is.

really all theyll do for you is give you an audience for your bitching and moaning.
>>
>>34082813
That was my issue as well. I just didn't see the point.

I think I never fully trusted my therapist. I just didn't know how she would be able to fix my issues when it was like we were not even living on the same planet.
>>
>>34083133
thanks, anon.

fuck the robotasdadasdg sdgsdg
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.