[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would getting a dog or cat help with my depression ?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 1200.jpg (92KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1200.jpg
92KB, 1200x675px
Would getting a dog or cat help with my depression ?
>>
Getting a friendly dog will indeed make your depression more bearable.
>>
They die in 15 years. If you haven't beat your depression in that time it will be 100x worse.
>>
probably! I'd recommend getting an older one who already learned some manners, maybe 15 lbs.
>>
File: 1483846835769.png (19KB, 245x267px) Image search: [Google]
1483846835769.png
19KB, 245x267px
>>34054678
Always

Oeganiti
>>
>>34054678
Yes.

>doggo and kots come to comfort me when I'm upset
>all excited to see me when I come home
>kot head butts me all the time and meows at me
>other kot doesn't love me as much but is comfy for petting
>feel less alone
>taking care of them makes me happier
>>
absolutely
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1soeku2
it can literally save your life
I'm more of a cat guy personally but I would bet my life there's no man on earth so deep in a hole that a loyal fuzzy companion couldn't cheer up
>>
Dogs are higher maintenence, but a better guaranteed outcome of alleviating your loneliness. They need frequent walks and vet visits because breeding made them sickly mutants. They are funnier because of their reactions to masks, they're more fun to play with but you have to clean up their shit from the yard.

Cats are less guaranteed to love you back, and if they do they're usually still complete dicks to anybody but you because they're jealous and possessive. But it's cute as fuck when it does happen and they are much cleaner. They only shit in a box, they try not to make a mess.

I guess it boils down to preference.
>>
File: german shepherd.jpg (18KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
german shepherd.jpg
18KB, 640x360px
>>34054678
NO, do not get a dog unless you're well versed in dog training and discipline. I'm saying this as the son of a dog trainer. In order to really get a dog to be obedient, well socialized and and most of all completely non-violent one has to spend hours a week carefully sculpting a dog into the perfect companion.

This takes constant monitoring and effort from week 9 to year one.

If you're not willing to put in what it takes the be prepared to have a hyper active barking potentially aggressive mess.

If you're gonna get a dog do lots of reading and research on the breed, grooming, exercise needs, and most of all training.

I've seen some bad shit in my days and it's all due to lack of knowledge.

>pic related to best potential doggo
>>
>>34054678
it will make you a normie, so basically yes
>>
>>34055063
This too, dogs need more discipline than the average person wants to give. Especially if they have a family, the whole positive/negative reinforcement thing works but you also need to follow it around, make it think every single move it makes is being scrutinized by you, it's what we consider psychological abuse to each other. It can't be your friend the way a person or cartoon animal can. It has to respect you on a very primitive level.
>>
File: image.gif (734KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
734KB, 220x220px
>>34054678
Yes, but if you have no experience with dogs or how to train them them go for the "adopt not shop" meme and pick out an adult aged trained dog from the pound.

A potty trained one of course and cool tricks optional. Puppies are difficult to train depending on the breed.
>>
File: 1480239277973.png (377KB, 824x896px) Image search: [Google]
1480239277973.png
377KB, 824x896px
>doggo lays his head/chin on my lap when I sit at my desk shitposting

Hes a good dog
>>
>>34055138
Well thats the thing about dogs. They'll love you no matter what, they'll be your friend forever after they've imprinted as a puppy.

They really have to know you're its master too, they have to know that you are the leader and you call the shots or else it'll call it's own shots. And then you'll see people being dragged around by big ass rotties because they never had the heart to teach it whose boss when they were puppies.
>>
I got a dog about two years ago thinking it would help me, I sent it back to the shelter after about 8 months.
It doesn't help, it is just another obligation that you have to deal with and it quickly becomes annoying buying food and vet visits.
I'd say it made it worse overall
>>
>>34054678
It won't fix any underlying problems or promote actual improvement, but you'll feel better when you're around it. You're straight fucked when you go to school or work for the day.
>>
>>34054678
I'll be your cat, homie. It'll cost you like $100 a month though.
>>
>>34054678
yes
i recommend a greyhound, they're basically cat/dog hybrids and thrive in small spaces and live longer than most dogs of their size
you have to make absolute certain you know how to train and care for them, though, no dog breed is easy
also neutering is a meme and sterilization that retains hormone balance is healthier
>>
>>34054678
Yeah. You better hope they outlive you because you're in for more depression when they start getting old and it just hurts more when they die.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.