[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a philosophy student. AMA.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 46

File: 1410372884341.gif (965KB, 500x489px) Image search: [Google]
1410372884341.gif
965KB, 500x489px
I'm a philosophy student. AMA.
>>
File: batman.png (305KB, 532x252px) Image search: [Google]
batman.png
305KB, 532x252px
how is unemployment treating you???
>>
>>34044803

Will you eventually go pre-law like all the other philosophy students?
>>
>>34044803
Do you also study theology?

What philosophy do you think is best?

Why do you study philosophy?
>>
Is there even anything to do in philosophy besides learning what others have done before you anymore? I enjoy reading about philosophy, but it seems that almost everything is already invented in it.
>>
How does it feel you're throwing your parents money out of the window on a course for people who think they're smarter than everyone else because they read Plato once? Philosophy is the most useless and self-fellating degree out there.
Do you think anyone fucking cares what you're studying?
>>
>>34044803
Who are your favorite philosophers, pre- and post-Kant?
>>
File: 1410650768211.gif (219KB, 512x284px) Image search: [Google]
1410650768211.gif
219KB, 512x284px
>>34044821
Philosophy can lead you to a lot of jobs. I'm thinking of librarian, but there's literally many ways you get profit from it.

>>34044822
Nope, will become a librarian. I fucking love libraries and culture.

>>34044851
No, but we do happen to study some authors that were religious as fuck. Augustin, Thomas d'Aquin. Philosophy isn't religion, but historically, both were heavily linked. Don't forget that churches were responsible for education.

What stream of philosophy you ask? Because there's one field, "philosophy", and many streams of philosophies like analytical or phenomenology. All have pros and cons, even the best ones. The worse are just too extreme to be considered serious anyway.

I love philosophy. I always was thirsty for knowledge, and it happens that philosophy is so fucking wide that I can literally study politics, law, history, science through philosophy. As in, criticize them mostly, kek.

>>34044912
The thing is, if you want to think properly you need knowledge, culture, and just to sharpen your skills. And you do so by studying other authors. Besides, you wouldn't want to invent mild temperature water, would you? Let's face it, some motherfuckers that spent their LIFES on a problem wrote books. Let's read them before reinventing the wheel.
>>
File: 1413037013297.jpg (30KB, 344x344px) Image search: [Google]
1413037013297.jpg
30KB, 344x344px
>>34044966
I'm not an amerifat, so France is giving me money to actually study what I enjoy. Your opinion on the field is just retarded though.

You cared enough to post a reply.

>>34044987
Greeks are rather okie when it comes to self help, even if it's mostly flawed shit (can't be the first and the best at the same time).

Hegel is fine in my taste, but it's way too general. I love Aron thought, and I'm getting in Rawls lately. Political philosophy is the best, you get knowledge to counter argument any fucktard that doesn't have a clue about what he's talking about, like on /pol/ (sadly, they won't recognize their flawed position, but that's an other story)

Fuck Heidegger though. Like, fuck it.
>>
>>34045031
I ask because my philosophy teacher was also a theology teacher.

And I also ask because i looked into philosophy as a replacement for religion. Atheist nihilist fedora tipper edgelord here. Wondering if you had a favorite as someone who looks deeper into it than wikipedia summaries like I did.
>>
File: 1419290737124.png (278KB, 478x639px) Image search: [Google]
1419290737124.png
278KB, 478x639px
>>34045134
Doesn't surprise me, after all there's a ton of "proof" of the existence of God (and the reverse as well, funnily enough). Besides, a lot of philosophers talks about God (mostly before the 18's century), so much to say that there's a "god of philosophers" to take apart the rational arguments about God, and the "god of religion" which is about revelation. Exemple? Descartes' proof of God, which is flawed as fuck but hey.

I'd rather go with a field or a theme, such as "science" or "liberty" rather that my own favorites, which I posted above. Besides, if you're not studying philosophy, you still can read the books, but it's rather hard. Books that are synthesis of some fields or streams are rather lighter, and gets to the point; plus it gets you a rather broad view of authors and their position to pick the ones you'd enjoy.
>>
File: help.jpg (40KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
40KB, 800x900px
tfw to stupid to study philosophy
>>
>>34045122
>France is giving me money to actually study what I enjoy
Cuck nation.

Hopefully Le Pen will fix things. But probably not.
>>
>>34045122
Good taste, I'm a fan of Rawls myself.
>>
>>34044803
Why waste time on a useless degree?

You also missed the whole point of philosophy.
>>
File: him.jpg (222KB, 600x696px) Image search: [Google]
him.jpg
222KB, 600x696px
Obligatory question about your opinion on Nietzsche
>>
>>34045262
>there's a ton of "proof" of the existence of God (and the reverse as well, funnily enough)
>>
>>34044803
what is the correlation between you being a philosophy student and anime posting?
>>
File: 1470839976431.png (583KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
1470839976431.png
583KB, 800x900px
>>34045318
No one decided to get the genetical lottery ticket we all got. Some are smarters, some are better looking, and some just happen to have lost completely.

But even if your starting perk isn't the best, doing something is better than doing nothing. No matter what, it's not a race against others, it's a race against yourself. By literally dedicating half an hour a day to reading a book will make you smarter than the day before.

It's not about others, anon. It's about you. If you want to do it, just do it, no matter how hard it is.

I have a hard time learning foreign languages. It takes me years to master one, more than others. Yet here I am, talking to you in english whilst I am a french faggot, and am learning german on the side.

You can do it.

>>34045334
Bait

>>34045346
It's not like he's the most commentated author of the 20's century, b-baka.

>>34045382
Didn't study him, have read him (Idol's dawn), felt like it was a man that just raged against everything. Mostly, he just criticizes better than he builds anything.

>>34045403
What's the matter?

https://plato.stanford.edu/search/search?query=proof+of+existence+of+god

All in all it just boils down to faith you know. An almighty creature could create everything and remove its own trace from it. Sure there are some problems with the concept of God (can God create a rock it wouldn't be able to lift? if God is profundly good, why evil exists?) but philosophy is filled with thoughts about God and it's supposed existence. It's not representative of philosophy as a whole, but it's a part of it.
>>
what is it like to have rich parents?
>>
>>34045382
Not OP but I didn't like NEETzche until I read Kierkegaard but after that I liked both of them much more
>>
File: Cliff-Harpers-Max-Stirner.gif (7KB, 170x200px) Image search: [Google]
Cliff-Harpers-Max-Stirner.gif
7KB, 170x200px
What is your opinion on Stirner?
>>
Hey man. Liberal arts (journalism) fag here. Welcome aboard the train of impending unemployment. There are no breaks.

But in all seriousness, I've taken quite a few philosophy classes of my own volition. I'm slowly starting to see how philosophy is more and more like a science and less like esoteric thought (save for the hellenistics. That's some confusing shit).

Good luck!
>>
>>34045565
>Bait
You don't believe someone could possible have a philosophical objection to the state throwing taxpayer's money at you?

Sounds like your education hasn't been very comprehensive!
>>
>>34044803
Are you a virgin? Kissless?

How frequently do you masturbate?
>>
What philosopher's do you reccommend?
>>
Philosophy is a waste of time and pretty gay overall

Also libraries are dying
>>
>>34044803
>implying you can "studying" philosophy
Enjoy getting brainwashed!
>>
File: 1473377927177.jpg (92KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1473377927177.jpg
92KB, 800x600px
>>34045563
It attracts attention and identifies me as OP.

Anime as a whole is ridden with animations made by otakus for otakus, and it's just an immature media which brings a lot of escapism to young adults.

Some animes are worth watching though, but they are literally rare.

>>34045572
I wish I knew. Mine are poor as dirt. As in, never had money, and I'm living below the poverty level in France. Way below.

>>34045598
Never studied him, never heard of him except on /lit/, never read anything about him. So far, it looks like a meme author like /fit/'s list of recommended books, but I might be wrong.

>>34045642
Philosophy is purely argumentation and rational thinking. Besides, any field that criticizes itself is basically doing philosphy (physicists talking about their fields as an object of study, like Duhem? Philosophy.)

As a journalism fag, you should know that critical thinking is the most necessary skill. Philosophy brings you that.

>>34045689
Go back to /pol/ to meme with your likes.

If you want a real answer though, I'll give you one. Yes, there are philosophers that are rather reticent to the idea of throwing taxpayer's money at people that are in difficulty. Why? Because in a world of limited ressources, it means TAKING from someone to give it to another. Isn't it stepping on one's liberty to dispose of its ressources?

But then again, what good it is not to redistribute some wealth to the poorest if the whole society is built not on your own merit, but on your lottery ticket you got when being born?

>social justice is a philosophy theme.

>>34045705
Yes, yes.
Once a day mostly.

>>34045720
Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Kant, Hegel, Nietzsche, Husserl, Heidegger, Foucault... really, there's a ton of them. I just threw down the ones I remember right now. It depends on the field, the theme, and what position you'd prefer though.
>>
>>34044803
why?

ravioli ravioli
>>
Philosophy is an overbloated field full of retards, compliments of our education systems. You'd be far better off getting a solid job in engineering or something with a high wage, and studying/doing what you love in your off time/retiring rather than struggling to live on a decaying field.
>>
>>34044803
are humans inherently good or evil?
>>
>>34045565
>can God create a rock it wouldn't be able to lift? if God is profundly good, why evil exists?
This is wikipedia tier shit. Worse even, it's "wikipedia intro but never bothered to read the whole article" tier shit.
>>
>>34045031
I want to be a librarian too
Godspeed anon
>>
What year are you?

>>34045861
He's going to ask you to define those things.

Much ink has been spilled over what "good" is, and we still have no answer
>>
>>34044803
Answer me this, what doth life?
>>
>>34045830
>people that are in difficulty.
Except that's nothing to do with you.

>But then again, what good it is not to redistribute some wealth to the poorest if the whole society is built not on your own merit, but on your lottery ticket you got when being born?
Surely you should me telling me that. You're the philosopher after all. Right?
>>
File: 1483871931821.jpg (83KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1483871931821.jpg
83KB, 900x900px
>>34045736
k

>>34045748
>>34045748
>implying thinking without culture can get you anywhere
>implying inventing the wheel again is a time well spent
>implying you are smarter than the best minds of history
I know it's 4chan, but ffs, I hope I'm just taking a bait.

>>34045756
Depends on the field and theme, just ask me what you want to read about. I won't tell you to read Plato if you just want to study a philosophy approach to science or social justice.

>>34045835
I love philosophy

>>34045858
Without Descartes you wouldn't have your clothes, computer, and every object around you. Stop memeing.

>>34045861
Depends on the author. But I'd ask more, why would humans be inherently good or evil? Isn't it a judgement? To make a judgement you need criterias. What are them? Are they the only ones? Couldn't it be a mix? Can you generalize all individuals to a vague name of "humans" while everyone acts differently?

>>34045873
It's not because it's on wikipedia that it's worthless you know. And it's not because it's on wikipedia that it loses all its meaning.

Look into "logical fallacies", you might want to look at "caricature" and "ad hominem"

>>34045887
Third.

>>34045887
>tfw questions presupposes things that you wouldn't even notice
>tfw after three years it becomes a second habit to identify them
>tfw now questions from people are too vague to get a hang on and get to the point they want to talk about
>tfw I'm slowly drifting away from normalhood just because they're not accustomed to doing it
>tfw

>>34045916
coz
>>
>>34045031
you are a girl i can tell because a guy would never say "let's read them before re-inventing the wheel"

a guy is only out to discover new things
>>
>>34045830
what animes are worth watching? watched the first episode of death note the other day and I thin I like the moral question it revolves around but I'm not sure it's worth it
never watched anime before btw
>>
>>34046025
>Without Descartes you wouldn't have your clothes, computer, and every object around you. Stop memeing.

You're not Descartes.
>>
btw op don't let all these bitter people shit on you, philosophy is awesome and teaches you so much about approaching and thinking about a problem, I only had a few mandatory philosophy lectures thus far but I'm thinking about doing a philosophy minor in my "free semester"
>>
File: 1471469158522.jpg (30KB, 366x416px) Image search: [Google]
1471469158522.jpg
30KB, 366x416px
>>34046012
Can you be less aggressive and accept the rules of a decent conversation? Even if I'm memeing, I still tried to make a point.

>except that's nothing to do with you
Define or rephrase, elaborate

>Surely you should me telling me that. You're the philosopher after all. Right?
It was a rhetorical question. Would you be ok to live in a society where you're a slave just because you were born that way? Like in India, or ancient Greece? Of course not.
Besides, even if equality might be a mean to achieve an end that isn't equality, it still means that we treat everyone the same way. You wouldn't want a rigged process, would you? Of course not.

>>34046032
>A guy is only out to discover new things
To discover new things you need to know what has been discovered before. And I have a dick.

>>34046135
Legend of Galatic Heroes, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Miyazaki's movies, Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze, Akira, Monster, Death note (overated because of its popularness but still good). Tengen tonpa guren lagann, Kill la Kill for well done over the top action. I'm surely forgeting some.

Anime isn't just about "moe" or fucking psychological stereotypes. LOGH, NGE have REAL personalities, unlike some fucking dolls that just are good to masturbate to.
I still masturbate to hentai tho[/spoilter]
>>
>>34046135
death note is so worth it
akira is good but the manga is way better than the movie
cowboy bebop hasn't got a great story but each frame is amazingly beautiful
and of course, miyazaki's work
>>
File: 1483979656801.jpg (44KB, 564x762px) Image search: [Google]
1483979656801.jpg
44KB, 564x762px
>>34046179
>y-you're not d-descartes!
>h-haha, I sure showed him!
What is your post even supposed to mean?

>>34046232
Don't worry, I know too well that people that rejects philosophy are rather dumb.
>scientists do philosophy
>lawyers do philosophy
>everyone with a relevant social position had to at some point
>we could argue that any argumented conversation is a bit of philosophy
>"p-philosophy is f-for dumb l-liberals!"
Somehow they always lack the critical thinking to bear with life, and can't even realise that what they say is not only retarded, but that it affects their own life as see problems that wouldn't exist if they thought correctly.

>"why are girls x"
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faulty_generalization

>>34046330
Cowboy Bebop is very good, albeit it's not perfect. Still worth it over any new anime coming out each summer.
To ANYONE interested in becoming less of a mental cuck, please read that page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies
EVERYONE does a sophism at some point, even philosophers, and being protected from them will allow you NOT to fall in /pol/'s retardation. Or retardation. Because good fucking lord, we literally walk in a rain of crap.

And I'm giving you an umbrella.
>>
>>34046235
>Would you be ok to live in a society where you're a slave just because you were born that way? Like in India, or ancient Greece?
You mean being born male?
>>
>>34046422
funny how >>34046477
instantly proves your point OP

have you ever read amartya sens work about justice and freedom? what did you think of it?
>>
>>34046422
>What is your post even supposed to mean?

You studying Philosophy isn't going to produce another Descartes, you fucking autist. It's not a valuable field anymore. It's over. You aren't the next Descartes, sitting here posting ironic anime pictures while you respond to your own egotistical Q&A on an image board for fucking losers. If you weren't a retard, you'd be into the occult, not philosophy rationalist garbage.
>>
>>34046477
>being born with a gender that might have social disadvantages
>being born as a piece of property
>same thing

Hmm... really makes you think that you're autistic
>>
doesn't it sometimes feel like talking to an empty room?
Personally I like linguistics and that's how I feel about it. Really interesting stuff, but that has no grasp on reality. When I draw I make something exist, when I read academic papers on biology I understand something that I could touch, but when I read linguistic related stuff, not really...
I really think philosophy and linguistics are similar in that sense
>>
File: 1483617960201.jpg (304KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1483617960201.jpg
304KB, 1920x1080px
>>34046477
Is this real.
I'm talking about real slavery, not memes like wage jobs. Where your LIBERTY is taken apart from yourself. You know, your right to use your body as you want, to do what you want, like posting in this thread. Because sorry, but even if you feel like another cog in the machine, you still can go wherever you want, do whatever you want in your free time. Hell, you can even
I shit you not
you can even choose your job.

Really, if you aren't memeing and your view of the world goes the way you're showing, you may need to broaden your horizons.

>>34046510
Told you.
I didn't, unfortunately. There's so much shit to read I can't even get into everything I want to read. I didn't even know that guy before you brought him up.

>>34046561
Unfortunately rational arguments can't beat someone that is thick and already got under any kind of conspiray theory. That's sad, really.

>>34046567
Philosophy uses concepts. First you got to understand them, then play with them. They literally are mental legos which makes you understand the world better.

I never feel like talking to an empty room as I always talk to fellow philosophy students about philosphy, and rarely do outside. Surprise, philosophers doesn't do philosophy all the time!

Besides, not everyone is interested, so why be a heavy burden and push things down their throats if they don't want to? Just joke and enjoy your stay as much as you can.

I won't deny that I'd enjoy more serious conversations or simply a "miminum wage" of knowledge/critical thinking, but hey. Can't do shit.

And finally, philosophy may be known as something that has no graps with reality, but reminber that putting an external reality to yourself is already a metaphysical stance.
And that's philosophy.
>>
>>34046533
Are you hoping to save France from being raped from foreign invaders with philosophy?
>>
>>34044803
Are you interested in dicks?
>>
File: 1411741130483.jpg (98KB, 635x701px) Image search: [Google]
1411741130483.jpg
98KB, 635x701px
>>34046711
>implying immigration is a problem
>implying the problem isn't a bunch of retards that happens to go their moronic ways justifying their means by "muh religion" so that they can kill freely
>implying white trash doesn't exist
>implying islam is just one religious stream
>implying skin color per se is a problem

The problem is the individual, not their characteristics. Besides, don't forget that americunts, british, chinese people are still immigrants when coming to france to live there. Still, it doesn't pop in one's /pol/ mind.

>>34046758
Only highly femine ones
>>
>>34046677
>Where your LIBERTY is taken apart from yourself.
The draft.

>You know, your right to use your body as you want,
Circumcision.

Being male is slavery by your definition. Your move OP.
>>
>>34046782
feminine*

originalyylalty
>>
>>34046782
You seem like a really reasonable person.

Like I'm not even being sarcastic. Why would you some here?
>>
>>34046677
I don't really know what I meant by "talking to an empty room", but I know you kinda missed the point. I can't blame you.
>They literally are mental legos
that's what I don't understand. Other fields gave us real legos to play with, but we (you more than I) chose the imaginary legos

>makes you understand the world better
but do you think it makes the world better? If so, how?

>not everyone is interested
actually, a lot of people don't give a flying shit. Are you fine with that? Of course you can chose who you talk to in a conversation, but if you wanna talk to society as a whole, with a book or something, who do you thing will listen? Other philosophers?

>Just joke and enjoy your stay as much as you can
that's what I do

Sorry if I come off as aggressive, I am not. Just trying to understand. Maybe it's just my nihilistic/materialistic/scientific (or whatever I'm not really sure) views that keep me from understandic the appeal of philosophy
>>
>>34046782
>implying immigration is a problem
>implying the problem isn't a bunch of retards that happens to go their moronic ways justifying their means by "muh religion" so that they can kill freely
>implying white trash doesn't exist
>implying islam is just one religious stream
>implying skin color per se is a problem

>The problem is the individual, not their characteristics. Besides, don't forget that americunts, british, chinese people are still immigrants when coming to france to live there. Still, it doesn't pop in one's /pol/ mind.

This is why people laugh at modern day ""philosophers"" like you. I don't know why you sit here and attack this /pol/ boogeyman all day when you are quite clearly just as retarded, just a different level of retard. You sound like you sit down and watch Sargon of Akkad videos all day.

When the Muslims irreparably destroy your society and culture (further more than they have already), and your society is in shit, I guess you just try rationalizing the "individual" to a pack of shitskins and they'll stop intruding on your ""rights"" right then and there. White people like yourself always like to intellectualize and miss the central issue at hand.
>>
>>34044803
Good luck anon!

100% origina lpost
>>
>>34045122
>Your opinion on the field is just retarded though.

Spoken like a true french.

How can you justify the retarded way philosophy is taught in France?

> Oh it's the crown of education, it's so important
> That's why it's the only course lasting a single year
> Yeah we've put a fukton of notions in a single year but certainly our students will be able to catch up
> Let's ignore the critics of Bouveresse and Derrida (written in 1989), only the other disciplines need to evolve
> Let's put questions which aren't on the program for bachelors on philo exams for our best schools, it will keep the poors and the arabs away
> We're heroes and our task is misunderstood and despised by the pleb

The way the french defends Philosophy is similar to the way they defend their language and their ideals, putting it on a pedestal and not asking if it's worth it compared to what it produces.

In reality it's merely the same as the division of work in every professionnal field. People are working on what really matters as far as result goes and we'll keep a few intellectuals to take care of the "great questions" because we can't be indifferent to them, we just don't have time to work on it ourselves. Modern monks and prophets which are useful only as far as we're not able to live according to their principles, they will produce the ethic we need and our politicians will dilute it to oblivion (french touch: every reform produces nothing but angry people).
I sometimes feel that we've made them into an administation which exists only to reiterate itself, like some godless Church.
>>
Say I wanted to get started on philosophy, what are the first few things I should be reading?
>>
File: 1411071311458.gif (350KB, 428x587px) Image search: [Google]
1411071311458.gif
350KB, 428x587px
>>34046831
Thank you really much. I really appreciated the compliment.

Albeit I'm a reasonable being, I do happen to have up and downs from some mental scars that I got from being a neet for 2 years.

This board reminds of me that era, and even if it was literally hell, it still feels like home in a way.

And if I can save some anon from going full poltard, I'd feel like I accomplished something. After all, my best friend did the same back in the days. [spoilers]But for that one needs to be receptive to arguments. But it's rare, unfortunately.[/spoilers]

>>34046949
Mental objects, or concepts, or ideas (they are all the same), needs to be transmitted. They do not exist in your mind per se, like a sheet of paper out of your mind.

As such, you need to recreate the concept in your mind so that it exists.

But we aren't alone. Do you think history exists outside of ourselves? Sure they are ruins, but how come we know WW2 happened? How come it lives in our mind even if we weren't there to see it happening?

Hell, mathematics too. The objects exists, but on a mental plane. (And that's a metaphysical stand I'm taking right here, but it's just to explain)

Does it make the world better? Yep. Without philosophy, there's no thoughts. And without thinking, you can't have science, which doesn't brings technology, and so on. And on a personal scale, it does WONDERS. (critical thinking)

I'm not fine with it, but can I change it? Nope. I try just to go with it, but sometimes it's hard.

"Society" is a concept, hehe. No one can talk to "society", we can talk to people. If you meant "about", then I'd just pick a book, learn, then be amazed at what I wouldn't be able to think on my own.
Nobody will listen but ones that are close to you are interested in the matter. Gotta roll with it.

You're not aggressive, don't worry. And I understand it can be hard to understand, and I'm trying to give you answers. Want an exemple? Einstein talked with Bergson about the concept of "Time".
>>
What do you know about Eastern or Buddhist philosophy

What does modern philosophy research look like? What do philosophy professors in research universities do?
>>
>>34047188
I'm not op or even a philosophy student, but you shoukd start by gaining base knowledge from easily readable books. People like Marx, Nietzsche and Stirner should be easy enough and will make it very much easier to understand more complicated texts. Reading Kant or Hegel at the start won't give you anything.
>>
File: 1411793710602.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1411793710602.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>34046949
Finally, philosophy is just so large that it's rather hard to define it.

I'll just say that capitalism, socialism, the idea of an universal income, marxism, started in philosophy books.

Hell, science and philosophy were one before Galileo and Descartes. So really, if you see the appeal of studying a weird bunch of numbers written on a sheet of paper that are supposed to represent the universal law of speed, then philosophy is the same.

>>34046982
Ad hominem. Learn the principles of argumentations before trying to argument. Oh, and don't do fallacies as well. That would discredit you.

>>34047008
Good luck as well!

>>34047071
>it's only taught one year, it must mean it's dumb!
It's just our education system that is like that. Other countries have philosophy lessons taughts for longer.

>Philosphy is about thinking
>Fuck I have to think because the question wasn't in the program
ok?

>the way the french defends
Thank you for making me just a "french guy", not a free individual with a free will.

>>34047188
Wikipedia. Not memeing, it's still a way to introduce yourself to general fields and get interested in sub parts that interests you the most. Then go here http://plato.stanford.edu/ if you want something more precise.

And if you feel the courage to read a hard book, taking hours to read a couple of pages, just get a book a philosopher that interests you wrote.

If you don't, take a book, you can find that is a synthesis about a theme, like again, "Social justice" or "Liberty".

Don't forget, progress is made little by little.
>>
>>34044803

In what fields do you apply your philosophies? Art, science, history?
>>
File: tumblr_kraywelkcX1qzcauto1_400.jpg (41KB, 376x490px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_kraywelkcX1qzcauto1_400.jpg
41KB, 376x490px
>>34047381
>Ad hominem. Learn the principles of argumentations before trying to argument. Oh, and don't do fallacies as well. That would discredit you.

>more intellectual masturbation when what I am prompting you with isn't even an argument

Proving my point every single time you post, my fellow autiste.
>>
>>34044803
Does Calculus (or a rigorous definition of real numbers) solve Zeno's paradox?
>>
Where do I go if I don't want to be apart of society
>>
>>34047381
>Ad hominem. Learn the principles of argumentations before trying to argument. Oh, and don't do fallacies as well. That would discredit you.

Don't get me wrong, the guy you replied to is retarded, but dismissing his whole argument and conclusion because of a fallacy is a fallacy in itself (and a very lazy one too)
>>
>>34044803
Classic or modern?
>>
File: 1411769364028-0.jpg (104KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1411769364028-0.jpg
104KB, 1280x720px
>>34047242
I know a bit about Japan's esthetic. Other than that, boudhism is more about personal revelation, which isn't rational.

Once critic I can give to my own university is that we don't learn about anythin outside of europe. Hell, analitycal philosophy, which happens to be mainly american, has to be learned by myself on my free time. Because I'm passionated.

And eastern shit is the same. Ah, and phenomenology managed to pierce into Japan.

>>34047299
Marx needs context and is technical. Nietzsche needs context too. Stirner, no clue about him.

The thing is, every philosopher learned about older philosophers, so they take some ideas, change it, ect. You need to know the history of ideas or you won't get shit. Or most of the shit. So really, do as I said here >>34047381

>>34047388
Be careful, a "philosophy of life" isn't philosophy but a way to live.

There's "philosophy" as a field, like mathematics, there's some sub categories, like metaphysics or political philosophy, and then there are streams inside these sub cats.

All in all, knowledge in philosophy can be applied anywhere. Did you know that science, albeit not doing metaphysics, has a metaphysical stance? That objects exists outside of us.

Besides, any field can get philosophied, so to speak.

>>34047465
Stay on that board, it's all fine.

>>34047470
It'd take too much time to explain why it's retarded. Without guaranteed results, considering he's going against me. So anything coming from me will be regarded as false per se, just because it challanges his point of view. Again, a lot are like that, and it was voluntary to end it shortly while getting to the point.

>>34047442
Dunno.
>>
File: 1412192038146.png (127KB, 350x456px) Image search: [Google]
1412192038146.png
127KB, 350x456px
>>34047527
Is there a difference? All I can think of is the time period of philosophers, which are classified as "classical, modern, contemporary...". If so, all of them.
>>
>>34047381
>Thank you for making me just a "french guy", not a free individual with a free will.
people are mostly forged by their education, and different countries have different education systems, so generalizing people by nationality isn't such an awful idea.
Of course, a lot of education also comes from the parents, and it sounds like your parents raised you well.

But the french education system is incredibly shitty and forges dumbasses
>>
>>34047213
I understand, that a lot of the reason why I still come here too. I know where a lot of the people here are coming from, and besides funny relatable memes and stuff, I actually want to help pull people out of that hole.

A lot of times I feel like just never coming back thought. If you suggest anything other than just mindlessly hating women/normies/brown people or that there are solutions to you're problems other than just wallowing in self pity people here fucking explode.

There's this crazy weird culture of dogmatic thinking with no actual basis or nuance, and it does nothing but hurt the people that embrace it.
>>
>>34044803
>AMA.
do you take it up the ass?

actually don't answer that, you def take it up the ass

fucking queer lol
>>
>>34047532
>>34047388
I realise that. What I consider philosophy is simply a kind of childlike wonder about the world. Do you have any fields as the once I mentioned, that you think is most beautiful in some philosophical sense? Or the relations between them?
>>
>>34047652
And if so, care to give an insight or stream of thoughts about something you prefer?
>>
>>34044803
2 burgers, fries with more salad, and mcnuggets please
>>
>>34047532
Who's you're waifu
>>
File: 1410501235774.png (359KB, 470x470px) Image search: [Google]
1410501235774.png
359KB, 470x470px
>>34047582
I legitimately thank you for developing a reasonable argument. Sure, I am the son of my time, and so do you. I almost educated myself though, missing father and naive mother

It depends, really. Our system isn't perfect. Our schools aren't perfect. But we got the ENS, which is well placed in the world. And everyone can get an education for free (or almost, it's flawed as shit but we don't get students loans like americans), which leads to a better society.

Again, it's hard to generalize without overdoing it.

At least our universities aren't known as american's : albeit a few good universities, the ones that aren't like that are rather... bland.

>>34047597
It's a sort of escapism. I was there, and even if it was dumb, thinking in such way makes you feel better. You can't change people, you can only give them the tools to change. Whatever happens next is their choice, but you did your job.

>>34047630
k

>>34047652
Define philosophical sense. It's hard to get your idea.

If you want to see what philosophy is, open "Critic of pure reason" of Kant. You won't understand a thing. Yet's it's purely arguments after arguments. And it's not a childish way to see world, I can tell you that.

Sure you can get some childlike wonders about the world again thanks to philosophy, but it's not because childs do that that it's childish.
After all, isn't seeing things in clouds similar to Art?

>>34047674
Well, I do happen to enjoy Hegel a bit.

To him, there's a goal for History. If there wasn't a goal, we couldn't be able to collect what is important in the past, and have an History.

That goal is the realisation effectively of reason. Basically, to him, everything has "reason" (or spirit if you prefer, but on a philosophical way, as in impregneted of rationality).
>cont.
>>
File: 1420394985755.jpg (187KB, 682x720px) Image search: [Google]
1420394985755.jpg
187KB, 682x720px
>>34047674
>>34047873
As such, he describes four great steps for reason to realise itself effectively (that is, it exists really, not just as a concept if you prefer: an exemple is the idea of liberty: even if everyone is free, slavery happened). These steps are taken by a "spirit of a folk", that is, a society. Before I lose you, it just means a civilisation. We don't know how it feels to live like ancient greeks.

As such, with that in mind, he classes societies with the degree of effective realisation of the reason, which happens to come to life thanks to the idea of liberty.

>First old eastern civilisation, one is free (but a tyran that is a slave of his passions isn't free)

>Second ancient greece, a few are free (there were slaves)

>Third ancient rome, a few were free (there were slaves too, + decadence from ancient greece's culture)

>Fourth, Germany of Hegel's time, everyone is free

Hegel is fucking hard to understand, but if I got to transmit you these bits, that's something.

I could have gotten into social justice now that I think of it. Fuck.

>>34047706
no u

>>34047789
>implying I have a waifu
>>
>>34044803
How old are you, OP? I used to be neck-deep in the stuff getting ready to do graduate work until I took the black pill.

Do you believe that there are some truths that are simply "revelations" which cannot be communicated verbally? I've always found that idea interesting but because of the nature of such claims it shuts down intellectual discussion
>>
OP, I'm a loser NEET in my thirties and just got done reading through Sophie's World, what's a good intermediate book about greek/roman philosophy?
>>
>>34047972
Why do you think serial killers/mass murderers do what they do? Do you see murder as a philosophy?
>>
>>34047213
>Albeit I'm a reasonable being
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
>>
>>34046677
>>34046803
Rational arguments being ignored? Sounds like France is wasting its money on you OP!
>>
File: 1412740655542.png (272KB, 363x518px) Image search: [Google]
1412740655542.png
272KB, 363x518px
>>34047974
22 years old.

Truth is rational. As such, it requires discussion, argumentations, and time.

However, you have Truth linked to some feelings, which would happen as a revelation. An exemple of this is simply realizing that you literally can do what you want in your life.

In other words, you can know something, like you are going to die, but you also can realize it. And when you realize you'll die someday, you feel like shit on the spot and don't want to go outside of your bed.

Thankfully we know a lot but realize a few.

The problem with revelation is that it's linked to emotions, an appareance of indubitability isn't indibutability, much to Descartes' whines.

>>34048038
Nice pick! I forgot about that book, but god damn it's a great entry level one. You can read Cicero's work (which is a bunch of stoicism reheated, but still good), and if you want to get into the greeks, read Plato. He wrote litterature with philosophy in mind, so it's easy to read. Hard to comprehend if you want to get technical like me, but for you, it'll be fine.

Other than that, any tips I gave already. Wikipedia, stanford's plato site thing, pick synthesis books.
>>
>>34044803
i hope i can be a student again some day
i want to learn
>>
How do you feel about Stephen Hawking saying "Philosophy is dead.(...)Philosophers have not kept up with modern developments in science."?
>>
What should I major in? I can't for the life of me decide on what i want to do with my life
>>
File: 1432115243355.jpg (45KB, 1137x640px) Image search: [Google]
1432115243355.jpg
45KB, 1137x640px
>>34048056
You'd need to question their motives. And do so, you'd need to understand their way of thinking, and how they got there. And no, understanding isn't approval.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that murder could be defended in a stream of philosophy? (A way of life isn't philosophy, albeit called a philosophy of life)

If so, I don't know any stream that promotes murder as a central thesis. However, it can be a mean to achieve something else, such as in eugenism (getting rid of what we see as harmful in a society (mostly the people in prison, but can be applied to gays, disabled beings as seen as in nazis)) or utilitarism (if it increase the happiness of everyone as a whole, let's kill that person).

>>34048108
It's as rational as believing in paranormal.

>>34048137
If you want something, make short termed objectives that are about working on getting that long term goal. It's just about milestones so that you actually move your butt, and feel good about accomplishing something.

You're gonna make it brah.

>>34048169
>says philosophy is dead
>uses an argument
>which is a mean of philosophers
>literally uses philosophy to criticizes philosophy
It always makes me kek.

Besides, we do keep with modern developpement of science. Exemple? The paradox of ancestral time (forgot the real name, it's close enough anyway). If time exists only because there's a spirit to think about it, how come there was time before humanity was there to think about it?
There's no answers that doesn't include some cosmical deus ex machina to this day.

Time being correlated to a mind thinking it it's Kant's thesis. But science has a counter argument.

Don't forget anon. Philosophy actually influences science, and so does science with philosophy. Philosophy just happens to stay back in time, as you need things to settle before being able to philosophy about something. Otherwise it's called journalism.
>>
>>34048303
>It's as rational as believing in paranormal.
While you're recommending wiki articles, try reading the page on ad homs.
>>
File: 1411322575994.png (32KB, 197x188px) Image search: [Google]
1411322575994.png
32KB, 197x188px
>>34048207
What do you want to do in life? What job do you want to do?
If you have no answers, you should be honest with yourself and find these answers.

Unlike memes on this board will tell you, a job actually defines a lot in your life. Relationships, money, social position, free time, ect. So gotta work what you enjoy instead of becoming one of the many ones that ends up hating their job and life because of a bad decision.

But don't fret. You have time, and will be able to fix things if you screw things up. There's always a way.
>>
File: 1410674250929.jpg (8KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
1410674250929.jpg
8KB, 250x187px
>>34048364
It finally poped up! Yes I indeed use them as well. But unlike you, I do that voluntary here with a goal in mind: getting down with a conversation that won't go anywhere because the other party has a mentality incompatible with a rational discussion.
>>
>>34048365
>If you have no answers, you should be honest with yourself and find these answers.
Not very helpful...
>>
>>34048365
>basing your entire life and self-worth on being a slave to capitalism

good goyim
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>34048365
I don't know what I want to do or what I like
I don't have any passions but I know I don't want to go into business
How do I find these things? I constantly jump from what I want to do to the next thing and am never able to stick with anything, same with any hobbies. I can never stick to them long enough to get good.
>>
>>34048413
Wrong way around!
>>
I read some philosophy once, it was alright. Then I read some stuff by Julius Evola because of the meme. He made me interested in Eastern Religions so I read a bunch about that. Now, I mostly just read literary fiction

What do you think of Julius Evola?

What do you think of Buddhism?

What about Hinduism?

Favorite fiction book?
>>
File: 1413986698967.png (380KB, 530x590px) Image search: [Google]
1413986698967.png
380KB, 530x590px
>>34048425
Find one hour or two, sit, and think voluntary about these questions. Firstly, what do you want in life?
Then, how to achieve it? Answering these two will get you material to think more. Just keeps on developing following that wire and you'll get to what you want in life. And the job which will fulfill you is on that track.

>>34048449
>jews controls everything!
>there happens to be atheists and christians as well in the elite of a society but that's irrelevant!
Antisemitism is just a form of irrational thinking. After all, it's a sub categorie of racism.

>>34048470
Got any mental disease that got diagnosed? If not, you could the reverse: What do you DONT want to do in life?
You'd need to read self help books rather than philosophy ones. Except if you want to get some old virtues that were in the greeks.

But all in all, you have to think about it yourself. After all, only you understand yourself the best.
>>
File: 1412360065939-0.png (55KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1412360065939-0.png
55KB, 600x600px
>>34048547
I don't know Evola.

It's a religion so it's up to anyone's faith. But at least it gives interesting new ways to see life.

Societal slavery based on a religion isn't fine to me.

Travel to the end of night, Celine
>>
File: Scared.png (156KB, 455x453px) Image search: [Google]
Scared.png
156KB, 455x453px
>>34048560
I haven't seen any therapists because I'm scared of them and wouldn't be able to open up to them. Why, what do you think I have?
And that's the thing, I don't know myself. Not the first thing about me. I don't know my favorite color or food, even.
>>
File: 1483649597238.png (117KB, 540x392px) Image search: [Google]
1483649597238.png
117KB, 540x392px
Why should I bother contributing to society if someone can just take my spot and everything turns out just the same?
Why is it worth working to live if my life has no real influence because there is a surplus of people?
>>
You sound like a good person, OP. Makes me feel like taking my philosophy studies seriously. I used to have a friend who would cheer me up and almost force me to read philosophy books to discuss with them. Good times.
>>
File: 1431628827169.png (608KB, 1266x768px) Image search: [Google]
1431628827169.png
608KB, 1266x768px
>>34048601
Nothing in particular, but it happens that some mental diseases can be the cause of a lack of ability to stick to something or have passions. I opened the DSM 5 out of curiosity lately, and what you describe could fill in.

But I'm not therapist nor doctor, so it's just an hypothesis I'm giving you rather than a definitive statement. I'm just giving an idea.

After all, not a lot know what they want to do in life. Hell, who knows themselves? All I know is that to choose my future job without emotions, I had to think about what I would do otherwise than being a librarian.

And there was a feeling of compfyness in becoming a librarian that I didn't get from any other possibility.

>>34048658
Because you are the center of your own universe, and as such, you are really important to yourself. If you get the job, it'll affect you positively. If you don't, it'll affect you negatively.

Same as above. You don't need to influence anyone to have a worthful life. No one chose to be born. No one. Yet we can get what we need and want, and as such, as there's literally no ultimate meaning in life, you should pursue what you want in life.
>>
>>34044803
define what a chair is
>>
>>34048745
It's not that I want to influence the world around me. My question isn't about how I as an individual can be satisfied with my life, but more about how I as an individual cannot be part of the collective of society because my role is not needed, but at the same time I am still required to work (in order to live) in this collective that does not need me.

The second question should have been worded more like: why should I have to work for society if I am not needed?
>>
File: 1483601039650.jpg (24KB, 507x473px) Image search: [Google]
1483601039650.jpg
24KB, 507x473px
>>34048721
Thank you kindly.

It's not because I'm a philosophy student that all of them are like me, or that philosophy defined me though. It sure opened my eyes on a lot of things, and even if I have a lot of flaws when it comes to ideas or anything really, I try my best to fix it and transmit something worthwhile.

Don't forget. There's no greater joy than to outdebate someone that doesn't have a clue about what he's talking about. And to do such, you need knowledge, critical thinking, and be used to debating. The first one is really important.

Hell, I have little to no knowledge in political philosophy, but I jsut have enough to understand why americans can't change their second amendment. Or why Nuit Debout was a retard movement.

>>34048818
An artificial object which you can sit on and that has a back to put your back against, which purpose is to be sat on.

Otherwise the ground could a chair, anything artifical could be a chair (like a wall), and foot-stool isn't a chair.
>>
>>34048595
>Societal slavery based on a religion isn't fine to me.
I assume you're talking about the caste system

I don't like that either but the Hindu cosmology is really interesting
Same with the Buddhist one
>>
>>34048871
a stool is a chair because you can sit on it

you can practically sit on anything, does that make everything a chair?
>>
>>34047381
> free will

Kek. I'm not trying to defeat (You), have all the free will you can muster, just observing that you react like french philosophers themselves.

It's not like this guy was the first man to claim philosophy is useless, it's a rather tasteless but standard claim about that field.
I'll concede it must get old quick to answer and explain why it's important everytime one brings it up.

>it's only taught one year, it must mean it's dumb!

I wrote that the program was too heavy because of being condensed in one year, not that it's a dumb subject!

> Other countries have philosophy lessons taughts for longer.

That's why I talked about french making it an exception. If anything, it's treated like a sacred cow:
How many years of art in a classic french curriculum? 4 years? Music, 4 years as well?

How come that 1 year is considered enough, it barely scratches the surface: since you're studying it on a deeper level, you certainly noticed that.

Even when french philosophers are asking for a reform, they aren't listened to. Well it's not like other fields are more successful in this country.

>Fuck I have to think because the question wasn't in the program

If it isn't, the people who receive extra-scholar education are at an advantage over the normal students.
It's already hard to go through the whole official program in a single year, being selectionned on extra stuff only helps to keep ((some)) people away, not the people who aren't fit for philosophy.

Please give me your opinion on quota, like the Science Po quota?

> Or don't, if you feel it would derail the thread. > I'm actually enjoying a decent conversation for once, even if we disagree and I would hate to be the shitposter who shits the thread
>>
File: 1420432741239.jpg (111KB, 728x810px) Image search: [Google]
1420432741239.jpg
111KB, 728x810px
>>34048856
You feel like you aren't needed. And you can feel something while not being it. Some feel like being smart, but they aren't.

Trust me, no one is needed. But the more you work on yourself, the more people will need your skills. And passive traits like kindness, work ethic, and so on, are hunted by everyone.

Because you need it, and can create the need of yourself in others.

I could get into melodrame as in "everyone is unique", which is true, but it's irrelevant to me. The world will spin without you. Just make sure you will make it spin with you.

>>34048887
Yeah, talked about the caste. The rest is just religion, and I have yet to get into it as a cultural matter. I have audio books of the Coran, the Bible and the Tohra, but I have yet to feel like listening to them.

>>34048902
Reread my post. What you said was already included in it. I foresaw the possible objections anon.
>>
>>34044803
Do you think that philosophy can save a person from depression? what about mental illness more generally?

Also do you think society needs to do more to stress teaching philosophy to kids? something like
http://www.sciencealert.com/teaching-children-philosophy-can-improve-their-reading-and-math-skills-study-finds

And another question, do you think that philosophy is more important now that we have information being disseminated through the internet so easily? is it even possible for it to be "more valuable" at a particular time as opposed to the past?
>>
File: 1470211749856.jpg (104KB, 1104x800px) Image search: [Google]
1470211749856.jpg
104KB, 1104x800px
>>34048905
Saying philosophy is useless has been said for two millenias and a half. If your definiton of useful is being able to get some craftmanship, then yes, philosophy is useless. But philosophy is like running around a stadium only to get exhausted at the end. Why do you do it? To get in shape.
Why do you study old authors which thoughts are rather irrelevant in today's society? To train your mental skills. And it gives you context. You won't say history isn't important, right? History of philosophy is as important.

Probably, I'm just tired after 4 hours of answering without taking a break.

Indeed it barely scrathches the surface. And yes I noticed that. But hey, it's not like in maroc philosophy teachers are listened as much, or are in other countries. France isn't an exception.

Social reproduction of inequalities. I know that. And so far as I'm concerned, saw, the questions were related to the program. Really.

The numerus clausis in medecine is dumb, but there was a reason it existed. I forgot which. And I have no opinion about Science po's quota.

And yes, it's an enjoyable conversation. As long as one makes a decent argument, I'll answer it. I won't look into meme thoughts.
>>
>>34048989
>I have audio books of the Coran, the Bible and the Tohra, but I have yet to feel like listening to them.
Just a tip, if you decide to learn about Hinduism don't read the Vedas, no one reads them, they're extremely long, and its a lot of incomplete instructions for ancient rituals. I recommend the Upanishads. And relating to Philosophy these were a big influence on the Transcendentalists

plus the Mahabharata, thats art
>>
>>34047071

Completely retarded opinion. Frenchfag here, law student. France is one of the rare western countries where philosophy is taught in high school. It is only studied in the last year of high school because it is believed that students are not mature enough before.
And let me remind you that even though social studies classes in the US may seem like French philosophy classes, it is actually completely different, since French students have both these classes (at least for 2/3 of them, that is the high school students majoring in literature, and those who major in economics and sociology).
>>
>>34048989
>But the more you work on yourself, the more people will need your skills. And passive traits like kindness, work ethic, and so on, are hunted by everyone.
One could take a position in society through self-improvement, but at the same there are many others that could also take it because there is always someone else who will fit the requirement because no niche may be too small or else it would be too difficult to fill.
And yes everyone is unique, but that does not mean everybody has their own niche in society that they can fill without competition.

My point is not that an individual may have nowhere in society to fit himself in, it is that there is always another individual that may fill it, so why must the individual (who can be so easily replaced) be required to work for a living?
>>
what do you think of the use of the words "fag" and "nigger" here? have they completely lost their original meaning? have they gained a new one? is it a good thing? do you think it may spread to the mainstream?
>>
>>34049277

I would also add that the "one year course" you are talking about is only the mandatory high school course, taken in the last year of high school. For college students willing to study philosophy in their education, you can pursue a Licence de Philosophie (3 years after high school), then a Master of Philosophie (5 years after high school) and then a PhD. And it's entirely free.
>>
>>34044803
Why do we like anime girls?
>>
File: 3hhaHN4.gif (434KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
3hhaHN4.gif
434KB, 640x360px
>>34049086
As a fortunate consequence, it could. It's highly improbable though, as depression is a disease that won't be cured with "lmao get outside". For instance, reenchanting the world is a consequence you can get from working on imagination. But you can work on that human skill without actually reechant the world like a kid.

Plus some arguments can make you feel way better about yourself, or your own social position. But it's really an optional thing that happens if you're lucky. I sure had some serendipity like that, but you can't look into philosophy for these. Or could, but you'll have to spend a lot of time to get them.

As I said, philosophy is amazing to develop your critical thinking. Any totalitarist society always bans philosophy for a reason. As such, I'm not surprised learning to think allows you to sharpen your mental skills.

The problem with internet, is that you can find anything. Conspiracies spreads easily. Far right opinions as well. But at the same time you can get the good shit by looking inthe right direction. Again, stanford plato site thing, wikipedia for general shit. And as a way to sharpen your critical thinking, yes, philosophy is important today. So that you don't swim in a sea of crap, learn about fallacies. It'll save you anon. But I doubt it is more valable today than before. It always was valuable. I mean, irrational opinions always spreaded, so let's avoid falling into them, no?

>>34049238
Alrighty

>>34049277
This anon gets it

>>34049284
Create your niche so that YOU get to be happy. It's either you, or someone else. Better be you.

>>34049312
Usual insult as saying autist. Yeah, they lost their meaning from the constant use and the derivative use of them. Is it good? Well, depends on your criteria. All I can say is that it changed. It already spread IRL, I use fag, autist, nigger, arab to joke. But I may be an exception, kek.
>>
File: 1420323833268.png (56KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1420323833268.png
56KB, 256x256px
>>34049314
A-anon, you're educating someone! T-that's lewd...

>>34049335
Because you find enjoyment in it.
>>
>>34049385

T'etudies a quelle fac?
>>
>>34049422
>Because you find enjoyment in it.
you're getting tired dude
this exchange was basically
>why do I enjoy X?
>because you enjoy it
wow so wise
>>
>>34049435
this is an english speaking website, speak english

t. croissant-speaking fag
>>
>>34049385
I was saying the depression thing because I kind of feel like it's the necessary tool to avoid nihilism. It also provides you with a really robust rationality that can make you immune to basic criticisms and bullying. I've kinda found that ever since I began reading more philosophy, I've stopped having negative thoughts almost entirely. It's like my brain no longer processes certain things as "sad" or "humiliating" because I can rationalize them away. idk if it's like that for everyone though
>>
>>34049385
>Create your niche so that YOU get to be happy. It's either you, or someone else. Better be you.

You're not addressing the question I asked at the end of my post, and I'm not talking about myself or how I become happy. The question is about any individual within a collective.
Why must the individual work for a collective that does not need him in order to continue living?
>>
>>34049501

Since English is an inferior language, it is certain that speaking another one in its stead when possible is legitimate.
>>
what's your MBTI type, OP?

You have been muted for 2 seconds, because your comment was not original.
>>
>>34049614
english is an interesting language linguistically speaking

it is spoken by a huge amount of people

it is easy to learn

it doesn't sound half bad

I really like my mother tongue, but english isn't "inferior"

on the other hand, dutch is boring, ugly and not useful

fuck dutch
>>
File: 1420474531491.jpg (281KB, 835x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1420474531491.jpg
281KB, 835x1200px
>>34049435
Paul valery, a montpellier. Putain de non ascii qui veut pas de mes accents de beau gosse.

>>34049469
Yeah, I just spent four hours answering to all the questions. Not to mention I've slept 15 hours the past three days.

>>34049501
no u

>>34049518
If it has positive consequences, go for it! And I sure do have more positive thoughts with mah knowledge in philosophy

>>34049523
I'll take an other approach then.

As in individual, you already are in a social group called society. You are born within a family with an history, in a city in a particular country in this world. In fact, no one is outside society, albeit he feels like it. Even neets. They still get some rather small connection to it, but they still exist (a room to live in, an ID card, a language, some money).

As such, as you're already integrated in a collective, it wouldn't be right if you didn't do your part in the rather large group that a society is.

The moral argument is rather poor, but it's still one. After all, the group is just way larger than an arborigene society,

So the prerequesite for your question is that society can live on without you. At first, yes, but then, you're already inside of it.

I can't think of much else right now. There surely is a deeper answer, but I'm not aware of it.

>>34049614
Exactly

>>34049618
Like the 16 free personality test that is retarded? I was like a commander or something.

The thing with these online tests is that their vague words can describe anyone and everyone. It's pretty much like astrology, numerology, dumbology.

It's fun, but there's no other value in these tests.
>>
>>34049740
>As such, as you're already integrated in a collective, it wouldn't be right if you didn't do your part in the rather large group that a society is.
>So the prerequesite for your question is that society can live on without you. At first, yes, but then, you're already inside of it.

Yes the individual already lives within the society because he is born into it, but nothing that he can return is of any real value because any other individual can fill the spot that the original individual could fill. Basically, the individual cannot contribute because of these circumstances.
So my next question is this: Should the individual be cut off from society because of the surplus of people even though it is not his fault he cannot contribute?
>>
>>34049740
While English may be an inferior language (which it isn't), this board is still an English one where you should use English or leave.

That aside, I don't quite understand your argument about contributing to society:

Most societies operate under a social contract, and those that do not eventually are overturned. In these social contracts, each individual member chooses to accept certain responsibilities and customs in order to join the society.

But, if someone chooses not to be part of a society, they shouldn't be expected to follow the society's rules.

I think the main problem with your argument is that you assumed that contributing to society is a prerequisite instead of optional.

Ok 1 last thing. I also have a question. What's your stance on psychology? (Do you consider it a pseudo-science?)
>>
have you listened to any songs by nekfeu (other than on verra bien obviously)? what do you think? Does he bring up actual points? To me half the things he says sounds like a 14yo trying to be deep and the other half sounds legit, so idk.

If you don't listen to nekfeu do you listen to any other french rappers? Rap is the fastest way to get non-simplistic ideas across to a lot of people imo
>>
>>34049740
>as you're already integrated in a collective, it wouldn't be right if you didn't do your part in the rather large group that a society is.
t. fag living off state subsidies
>>
File: 1421650238472.gif (446KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1421650238472.gif
446KB, 500x500px
>>34049979
What you're assuming is that what one's can return is of no value because anyone can do the same. But it has value, because on the individual scale, he's paying back what he got from being born there.

And no, it's not because anyone can fill that spot that you cannot contribute. The person that gets the job (let's assume it's one) is going to work. As such, this one create values.

It's subtle, but there are some jumps that are rather bold.

>should
Not only it goes against the common view of a society, but it goes against the view of a society we want to live in. There are people voluntaring right now to help homeless people, which are the ones that can be considered "outside" of society. It's not acceptable.

Besides, you're assuming every individual as the same value based on the "infinite supplie" of individuals. First thing, there's not an infinite ammount of people, so the value can't be devaluated to make everyone worthless. Secondly, we aren't born the same way, some are born blind, some aren't.

And finally, you're assuming one cannot contribute to society and that it's not his fault, and the reason is the surplus of people. Even if reproduction of social inequalities exists, you still can direct your life to make it better.

The second question just relies on so many assumption that it reveals your view on life, anon.

>>34050170
>social contract
Not everything thinker thinks there's a social contract.

Psychology is a fine science. Got flaws like any, but still a science.

>>34050195
Nope. Can't think about what I didn't listen. Yes, IAM, Orelsan. But their messages are rather... well, not that deep. And perhaps.
>>
>>34050170
>this board is still an English one where you should use English or leave.
The French are bad at following anyone else's rules. Despite being the core EU country, they violate EU laws all the time and get away with it.

>I think the main problem with your argument is that you assumed that contributing to society is a prerequisite instead of optional.
"optional" is a alien idea to him.

>What's your stance on psychology? (Do you consider it a pseudo-science?)
He's a retard, so he probably believes it's real.
>>
File: who stole my worm.jpg (46KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
who stole my worm.jpg
46KB, 625x626px
>>34050295
>this much of overgeneralization in one sentence good lord
>k if you want babe
>ok you're memeing, phew. I thought I had an intelligent anon to talk to.
>>
>>34050293
Ok, I know not every thinker believes in a social contract, but I was asking you, not other thinkers. A large part of philosophy is the ability to formulate your own ideas. You can base them off of the ideas of others, but you must always confirm the ideas rationally by yourself.
(You mentioned Descartes so you definitely know that you must doubt and prove all information)

I was hoping for a bit of a longer opinion on psychology but you don't have to if you don't want to. (pls do elaborate though)
>>
>>34050293
>Psychology is a fine science. Got flaws like any, but still a science.
>>34050295
>He's a retard, so he probably believes it's real.
Is telepathy real?!
>>
File: 1479307774913.png (96KB, 508x392px) Image search: [Google]
1479307774913.png
96KB, 508x392px
>>34050293
I believe I shall concede.
Though my question still intrigues me, I see the flaws you have pointed out and now I admit to them.
>>
>>34044803
What do you think about capitalism?
>>
>>34050527
OP is French.
>>
File: 1410575960805.gif (403KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1410575960805.gif
403KB, 500x281px
>>34050425
Granted but two things: there surely is someone that got a better answer than me, and I just spent 5 hours on that thread. And don't worry, I had lessons on knowledge and truth.

Well, what can I say about psychology? Freud opened a new field which allowed people to finally get a way to talk about their mental problems and get some real recognition instead of the old Taedium vitae. That said, I tried one, but she surely was bad as I felt judged and she didn't help me a lot. I mean, it's supposed to be an outside guide, sure, but if I'm honest enough with myself, I don't really need one.

A psychitrist however, is a real doctor kek. At least he can gives you funny candies to make you feel better. Mine doesn't unfortunately.

That said, psychology got influenced with phenomenology. As any science, it needs to develop itself, but it's not a meme science. Hell, what's a meme science but fake science like numerology?

>>34050508
I had to get serious for a moment and analyze your sentences like in philosophy books. And you're open enough to accept others argument. That's a great proof of intelligence.

>>34050527
It helped rise the world's condition of living. There are flaws as with anything (hello economical crisis, hello money inheritance which allows people to get rich from family even if it existed before), but at least it works. Unlike marxism.

>>34050570
And?
>>
>>34050293
>orelsan is not that deep
i beg to differ
suicide social is a well crafted piece about how categorizing people prevents you from thinking of them as people. Not super deep or anything but still better than most pop songs.
And in general I think that he represents pretty well our generation, he's well educated but lazy, he's lost all hope and he's lonely, but he still tries to be happy. He thinks the world is going to shit, but he doesn't feel involved in it so he doesn't bother fixing it. All those things represent our hopeless generation pretty well imo
>>
>>34050345
Do you have a rational argument against any of that?
>>
File: 1483589941320.jpg (99KB, 382x415px) Image search: [Google]
1483589941320.jpg
99KB, 382x415px
>>34050658
It's just that I'm used to such depth in philosophy that anything deep but on a different level just kills my boner. It sure is better than the rest of the crap, that's for sure.

But that's also the problem with him, as you stated he represents perhaps a group of people that I used to have affinities with, but as of late, with all of my projects and work, feels just weird.

I mean, it took me years of little efforts but I went from depressed neet to top 5 of my promotion with more and more knowledge in my field, with a concrete plan for the future and so on.

I guess it's just not for me anymore.

>>34050735
>stating a logical fallacy as an only argument is a logical fallacy
"Your argument is bad cause it's a fallacy, I'm right'

Except that the first premise doesn't lead to the conclusion of "I'm right"

However, they aren't arguments. So I still win.
>>
>>34046025
>tfw questions presupposes things that you wouldn't even notice
>tfw after three years it becomes a second habit to identify them
>tfw now questions from people are too vague to get a hang on and get to the point they want to talk about
>tfw I'm slowly drifting away from normalhood just because they're not accustomed to doing it

>literally babby's first philosophy lecture
>>
>>34050777
Pretty sure it's not about "winning" and "losing".

Consider this: By participating in a philosophical discussion, you are able to get rid of faulty old ideas and gain new ideas which are more rational and closer to the truth. Because of this, any philosophical discussion results in all parties coming out as "winners".

The only way you can possibly "lose" is by dismissing someone's argument instead of proving it false. (which you just did).
>>
>>34046477
Interesting thinking >>34048178
>>
File: 1468125372676.png (112KB, 555x378px) Image search: [Google]
1468125372676.png
112KB, 555x378px
>>34051087
I'm laughing so hard right now I can't even breath
>>
File: 1411977776127.gif (53KB, 828x472px) Image search: [Google]
1411977776127.gif
53KB, 828x472px
>>34051010
Oh and I was just joking about winning and losing anon

Good lord that other thread tho, made my day.
Being this much of a cuck he self victimize himself enough when his worldview is challenged

Please god let me be memed
>>
File: 1412864985479-1.png (87KB, 698x658px) Image search: [Google]
1412864985479-1.png
87KB, 698x658px
Anyway, it has been fun.

Thanks for the few warm compliments, thanks for the few challenges that popped, and thanks for the shitposters for providing free bumps.

Oh, and thanks to the other cuck making a thread about me. That's pure gold. Please, stay that way, it'll make everyone else feeling better in comparaison.

For others, don't buy into his way of thinking. Not only his arguments are fallacies, but even if they were relevant they are so irrelevant between each other there's no link between the premises and the conclusion.

OP, out. Have a good night.
Thread posts: 155
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.