[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advanced Hermitry Thread - Ocean Hermit Ideas

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: fishing boat.jpg (146KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
fishing boat.jpg
146KB, 640x426px
When I've saved a fair amount of money I want to basically become a total hermit. Probably the most realistic thing is just to get a house out in the country and never talk to people, maybe farm or something. However, there are some potentially more interesting ways to be a hermit that sound pretty doable if you have a bit of cash (which I intend to have in around 10-20 years or so).

One of my favorite hermit ideas would be to buy one of those small islands (they have a website for that) and basically live off of seafood from around the island and occasional shipments of supplies or maybe even some sort of garden. As any decent islands are probably beyond my projected earnings this isn't really in the picture except as a bonus goal.

More realistic would be to buy as much normal land as possible out in the woods and build my hermit shack in the center of it, or even just put a small trailer home on it or something, and just hunt, garden, and build cool stuff in the woods.

However, recently I had the idea that perhaps one of the best ways to have freedom away from the normies would be to get some kind of large-ish boat with living facilities in it and just fish for enough food to eat. They make machines that make fresh water out of salt water so enough water to drink and basically unlimited seafood could be had with a modern fishing boat. I've seen such boats used for between $50,000 and $100,000 which is certainly within the range of a diligent saver with a decent middle class job. (Unfortunately I can't find the boat selling site that I liked originally but there are lots of others out there if you search for used trawlers, lobster boats, shrimp boats etc.). It's probably a pretty dumb idea but it appeals to me enough to want to look into it more later on.

Any other robots planning to be a hermit? What's your ideal hermit location and lifestyle? Pic related is a bit bigger than the boats I'm looking at, ones like this are around $150k or more.
>>
I've been thinking about ding this since I was 14 or 15. The most realistic thing is to get a piece of fertile land and live off of it. But it's very easy to romantisise this way of life. It implies working all day and night, and requires tough survival skills. In the modern world, you would need to go to siberia, mongolia, northermost or southernmost america. It's really not as simple. You would not have electricity, you might have legal problems with the comunity for using natural resources and if you hurt yourself in some way, you're fucked.

Another thing is solitude. You may be able to handle it for a few months, or even years. But could you for six decades? It sounds fun, and enlightening to be one with nature, but how possible is it for a modern man?
>>
>>34043183
>Any other robots planning to be a hermit? What's your ideal hermit location and lifestyle?

Yes I'm planning a semi hermit lifestyle in europe. Gonna get 5-20 acres of land and build a house and a garden + chickens.. maybe a goat. Could do it now but I cant really bother to start the process (dont dare to). Got 148.000 euros saved up / invested but I need more so I can do it forever
>>
>>34043424

One wouldn't have to be TOTALLY isolated... just be away from people the majority of the time. Staying at home in a modern house at the middle of 100+ acres of wooded land would be a fair compromise to have some comfort and safety. With the boat you would sometimes need to refuel unless it's the sailing kind, and there's also some supplies it would be nice to stock up on once or twice per month. A solar setup would provide some electricity in most places out on the ocean and satellite internet is a thing for those with enough money. Total isolation is one thing but sufficient isolation to be considered a hermit can probably be accomplished with a bit of comfort and safety the modern world affords.

>>34043459

Nice. One thing about the goats is that they eat all types of fruit trees and garden plants so make sure to put yours in sturdy pens away from those things if you don't want to witness a goat desolation like what happened to my family's pasture when I was a kid. Chickens are cool but I've found that the easiest birds to keep alive for a long time are geese and they also make bigger eggs.
>>
I think about this all the time, meng. The problem with the boat idea is that you're just one leak away from having your whole world sink to the bottom of the bay. And I have read that boats are way more maintenance than homes. So I think it would make me nervous.

It's interesting to think about different places to live, but I think that the more important challenge is to generate a bit of income. As much as we'd like to think we can live off the land, you're still going to need to be having some money coming in, so a passive income source like rental income or dividends would make things a whole lot easier. Atter that's tackled, you're good. So I've been studying and working on that more than anything else.
>>
>>34044010

> The problem with the boat idea is that you're just one leak away from having your whole world sink to the bottom of the bay.

Yeah, but with the number of boats out there and the amount just sitting at the piers without sinking, I am thinking that modern boats probably don't leak too much. If I were to get one with a solid hull (as opposed to wooden planks or something) there wouldn't be much that could make it leak other than impacting with something. Of course there are risks but at a point it's like saying that if you own a house it could burn down.

As far as the investing goes that sounds like a good idea. Dividends or some other kind of interest money. Maybe I'll have released some music or a book by then that generates some royalties, but that's a pretty slim chance... my whole music career has netted me only slightly over $55.

Of course if there are people interested in seeing how an ocean hermit lives, I could YouTube it or similar, and start a patreon or other crowdfunding campaign...
>>
>>34043790
It's not hermitry if it's not total isolation, i reckon.
>>
>>34044454
Well, I guess the real problem is that I don't know jack squat about boats. :)

But, yes, royalties seem a lot harder and more unstable than "normal" investments.
>>
>>34044875

Well maybe it would take a couple years to get used to the lifestyle with some modern commodities, and then start going hardcore mode. If I could set up solar or a wind farm on my boat for power that would be cool. Also as I'd just be one person maybe I could customize a fishing boat by removing the fishing (cranes?) and replacing them with a small mast and sail for a bit of non fuel-consuming mobility, and then fish with rod and reel or smaller nets.

>>34045438
If I do continue to want to do it in the future I will certainly read up on boats and boat maintenance, but I doubt modern boats just spontaneously sink or people wouldn't store them in the water all the time. Old boats were stored up on land because the wood would get waterlogged, but I think the modern ones are fine being constantly in the ocean.
>>
>struggle for food
>die of disease
>die in bad weather
>your country gets invaded but you don't know
>poor hygiene

sound sfun
>>
>>34045751
Yes, true, I don't think they sink all the time. But I'd definitely look at the longer term costs of owning one rather than a simple home. Also, check this page out. I like this guy's ideas, he makes a good case for living in a semi-urban outskirts area.

http://ranprieur.com/me.html

"I used to think rural homesteading was a good idea. Now I think the isolation is psychologically harmful, and the transportation costs exceed the savings of growing more of your own food. A better strategy is to get a modest house on a residential lot in a city with cheap housing, grow high quality fruits and vegetables, bicycle to the store for cheap staple foods, and take advantage of the economic opportunities of the city."
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.