[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it so hard to be a purely good person?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: chief.jpg (63KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
chief.jpg
63KB, 640x360px
Why is it so hard to be a purely good person?
>>
>>26462724
because life will never be 100% good to you
>>
>>26462724
Good is subjective.
>>
>>26462781
I don't think so. I think good is objective and people contaminate it with their opinions and make it subjective.
>>
Depends on what you define as "good".

Jesus and his followers gave away all that they had and left to go help the poor. That is a life literally devoted to nothing but good. If that is what you believe is being "purely a good person" then it will be hard.

In my opinion as long as you work hard, never give up, don't steal, and make an effort in helping people then you're fine. Don't be a doormat for people doing whatever they want or doing shit that they should be doing for themselves.
>>
>>26462781
This is true OP, you define your own idea of "good"

That's not to say it gives you an excuse to just shit the world up at everybody else's expense. You have to figure out for yourself why that's bad. You need to figure out how to know what's good without being told.

If you want to have a positive impact on the world, you can start by not lying to yourself, deluding yourself, or being a sanctimonious cunt.
>>
Because other people aren't.
>>
>>26462819
existence is purely perspective, there is no inherent good or bad, nothing measurable by any pure metric.
>>26462724
it's hard to be good because you are an animal, a product of chance, and chemical and biological reactions. don't hold yourself to unreasonable standards, you just a bunch of chemical and electrical signaling.
>>
>>26462724
Why would you want to be a good person? You'll get cucked over by everyone and everything.
>>
>>26462724
You can't please everybody
Most of all yourself
>>
how do you define good? being alive itself means that you have to kill something and eat it to survive, unless you're a vegan i guess. how do you come to terms with that? every day something needs to die for you to live
>>
>>26462937
Then go into fucking vegetative status if you want. Il try to b myself ...ah i mean good.
>>
Because people are evil, and they will take advantage of that and you'll end up suffering and prvoding evil people with good things.
>>
The world is full of ambiguities and gray zones. Sometimes an act that is considered good under one interpretation is bad under another.

Conflicting values and interests complicate many questions of moral rectitude.

Additionally there are many areas of life that are zero sum. In many scenarios getting yours automatically implies someone else isn't getting theirs. This applies to all sorts of situations, from dating to job hunting to politics.
>>
>>26463004
Death is a part of life, it's not inherently wrong. It's unfortunate but for the most part, life is a series of greater and lesser evils.
>>
>>26462724
it is against your survival instinct to be nice to another person in a shallow level.
>>
>>26462724
Because its easy to be selfish and to not care.
>>
I don't want to be a passive doormat but I feel like you have to to a certain extent. It just requires strength I don't have to endure all the bullshit while still putting out good. It's even harder to be assertive when you can't threaten people so that makes it even more difficult.
>>
>>26463023
People aren't evil, they're individuals. Ants don't have the problems we do because they function as a unit and are too simple to develop concepts of the self, entitlement, cowardice, fairness, justice, etc. It's all to level the playing field.
>>
because "good" is impossible to define and you can never live up to any one standard

you can think of yourself as a "good" person by never having malicious intent, never fucking over other people etc

but then again, are you helping homeless people? are you helping starving african kids?

define it first
>>
>>26463142
There are no individuals, most of people are mass of some fucked idea, individuals are all the great people that have come up with great ideas and things that have shaped all the world, you are not a individual, nor am I, or anyone on this board for that matter.
>>
File: image.jpg (9KB, 125x112px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9KB, 125x112px
>good is impossible to define
>life beat the kindness out of me
>everything is subjective
>>
File: Aristotle.jpg (289KB, 753x762px) Image search: [Google]
Aristotle.jpg
289KB, 753x762px
Because humans are not inherently good. By default we are selfish and prone to turpitude by our flesh & its desires. Desires are not meant to be easy to combat.
This does not mean we shouldn't strive to be good. We should, not just because it's good for others, but for us. Read "Nicomachean Ethics". It has helped me a lot.
>>
>>26463208
I don't see how that works out at all, ideas are just like viruses, they still need individuals to infect. They control us like parasites, they are not greater than us.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVMrVjQrAfU
>>
>>26462724
BENIS IN BAGINA is all that matters
>>
>>26463256
Thanks dude. I will read that
>>
>>26463256
>We should, not just because it's good for others, but for us.

ie don't shit where you eat, and apply this philosophy to the entire planet and society as a whole
>>
>>26463303
Aristotle is great. Nicomachean Ethics is a great book for getting into his other works too.
>>
>>26463257
you can not call a group of people that all think in the same way individuals now can you ?
that's the catch, there are those great individuals that a group of people want to be like, but they never will and the sooner they realise that the better, the whole you're a special one and individual and stuff like that is all bullshit
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.