[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

difference between sex and gender?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
Can someone please explain to me the difference between sex and gender?

Lately there has been this trend in culture to make this distinction between sex and gender. I'm pretty skeptical of there actually being a difference (i.e. both words refer to the same thing), but I could be wrong.

What do you autists think? what is the difference between sex and gender? Is there even one?

I suppose the implications are that if this distinction doesn't make sense then transgenderism kind of loses it's foundation. So for trans people there has to be this agenda to push for this distinction to be accepted within mainstream society (at least for the political trans).

And obviously if it doesn't exist, as in it makes no sense, it's confused, not conceptually sound then all this bigender and agender stuff is nonsense, and the entire basis for transgenderism would crumble, right?

I'm just skeptical of it. Every time someone explains it it seems muddled. I've heard people say eg, sex is your body - your testicles or ovaries, and gender is your mind. But that makes no sense because your mind is your brain right? Or at least depends on your brain. And your brain is part of your body, so it's not really a distinction. Like why would the body be wrong and the mind be the right one, for trans people? Why not the other way round? What does it even mean for a body to be mis-matched? That makes no sense in terms of biology, nature doesn't try and make things correctly, and get the mixed up. Things just evolve, divide, reproduce, etc. There is no 'supposed' to be x way.

Please educate me on the difference betwteen sex and gender. Basically the problem comes to down to me finding it odd/incorrect/nonsense to say or think of myself as having a male sex and a male gender. I don't feel like there's two at all. Seems wrong.
>>
> But that makes no sense because your mind is your brain right?
Assumption.
>That makes no sense in terms of biology
Testosterone and estrogen production are different in different people. If you do research on males with less testosterone, you'll notice physical and psychological differences.

From a practical standpoint- sex is only important due to reproductive needs; gender is a cultural expression for whatever means.
>>
Gender is the sex you get to choose. That's literally all you need to know.
>>
>>26443663
>Like why would the body be wrong and the mind be the right one, for trans people?
because if you operate on the principle 'body is right, the mind is wrong' then someone with a cancerous tumor would be wrong to want it removed (because the body naturally has it, the brain is mistaken!)
>That makes no sense in terms of biology
i'm sure you're an expert biologist.
>nature doesn't try and make things correctly
now this is true - and you should remember it because it invalidates appeals to nature when saying people shouldn't have gender identity disorder.

>There is no 'supposed' to be x way.
this is true, but you have to remember that when you take that too far you end up with 'stop whining about your tumor' tier logic. diseases as a whole are basically defined in their relationship with society (you're depressed? that limits your ability to function in society and therefore gets a medical classification. you were born with no legs? that limits your ability to function in society, and therefore gets a medical classification, you were born thinking you should've been a woman and it's causing you problems functioning in society... you probably get the idea)

now as for shit like agender, genderqueer, etc, that's basically bullshit (and even if we accept it based on the cultural definition of gender, it's basically irrelevant in the mainstream culture and only relevant in tumblr-y subcultures, so the greater medical-classification-because-it-hurts-you-in-society thing doesn't apply.)

the difference between sex and gender is essentially as the image explains, the distinction between the two things is useful in certain contexts even if you don't need to make it 99% of the time (or generally, in casual conversation).

i find it odd to think that we're on a rock orbiting a ball of fire, but i don't need to think about it all the time because it's not relevant to daily life.
>>
Psychology as a science is based off the belief that there's a brain, and then there's a MIND.

A mind is responsible for things like conscience, reason and understanding, as well as personality, emotion and feelings. All of these things are obviously happening on the brain but the approach doesn't has to be physical, but psychological.

Likewise, sex is physical whereas gender isn't. This theory is supposedly backed by the fact that like with most things, men and women have cultural differences which add to the obvious physical/sexual ones, and these differences create a sense of belonging/non-belonging with your biological sex Thus, a "gender" is born.

Feel free to take this with as many grains of salt as you want. Point is, most smart people believe in it, but some smart people do not. Feel free to look for what your favorite intellectual has to say about it.
>>
>>26443663
gender and gender rolls are trash
>>
>lets get rid of gender rolls by creating new gender roll
feminist logic never ceases to amaze me
>>
File: 1454715938471.jpg (141KB, 534x820px) Image search: [Google]
1454715938471.jpg
141KB, 534x820px
>>26443663
Bullshit made up by professional snowflakes with communications degrees. They contribute nothing to society except whining about non-problems.
You are the cards you've been dealt. If you don't like society's "chains", then accept the fact that you're weird instead of trying to change everyone else. These people should count themselves lucky they weren't born as a shitskin in a 3rd world country.
>>
Its a weird thing.
Theres sex: penis or vagina
Then theres behavior: feminine or masculine
Then theres sexuality: likes penis or likes vagina
Then theres gender: thinks they are a boy or thinks they are a girl

So like you can get a masculine vagina likes boys thinks they're a girl, and you can get a feminine vagina likes penis thinks they're a boy. Or a feminine penis likes penis thinks they're a girl.

Its fucking stupid.

Theres no guarantee that they actually feel like the opposite sex, because how would they fucking know unless they grew up as both? You can have girly men and tomboys who otherwise match the stereotypical traits of their sex, and you can have people who match the traits of their sex but still call themselves the opposite sex.

And its hard to tell what feminists are fighting for. Male feminists are like " I need feminism cause I'm not manly" and other feminists are like "it doesn't matter what genitalia you have you can do anything and claim anything"

Tl;dr I hate gender politics as a topic.
>>
>>26444358
>roll
>>26444404
>roll
how the fuck do two different IPs make the same dumbfuck mistake?

ROLE
it's a gender ROLE

Roll - loop-de-loop (the dog rolls over)
Role - your part, what you're expected to do. (the police dog's role is to sniff out drugs.)
>>
There's really no difference OP. Sex = Gender. Anyone that tells you different is SJW shill
>>
>>26443663
outside feminism bullshit the male/female and masculine/feminine distinction is still useful in other languages.
(many objects are masculine/feminine in other languages, but they still aren't male/female)
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.