[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible that the characters in a video game have a sort

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: The_Sims_Coverart.png (165KB, 256x306px) Image search: [Google]
The_Sims_Coverart.png
165KB, 256x306px
Is it possible that the characters in a video game have a sort of consciousness? Can they be somewhat aware of the reality that they are in?
>>
I don't know... I'm too original to know that, it seems.
>>
No, they act rigidly within the confines of their code. Their actions are entirely predictable.

They're no more likely to be conscious than a character in a book.
>>
You are a videogame character. Wake the fuck up
>>
>>26401725
Hi where are the proofs :DDDD
>>
I don't know man, it's pretty deep shit.
Sometimes I think, what if we're just a particle of an abstract thought? We can't prove that we are real, so if we were to not be real, then what about our own fiction?
I just wanna kill myself at this point.
>>
>>26401039

Anything could be concious, we still don't know how consciousness happens or how it's testable.
A human is a rather complex biological machine and doesn't have any reason to be concious, so our best guess today is that any sufficiently complex system may be concious.
What is "sufficiently complex"? No clue.
>>
>>26401725
We're a in one big Sims game.
This is fact.
>>
>>26401039
>No, they act rigidly within the confines of their code. Their actions are entirely predictable.

Sounds an awful lot like people.

I would say yes, characters can be conscious, if their AI is good enough to react with the environment they exist in.

Like, NPCs run away from fire, jump out of the way of an incoming car, run away if you fire your gun etc. That right there is self awareness, on a basic level.
>>
File: 96283.png (29KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
96283.png
29KB, 633x758px
>>26401725
Why did my character creator make me ugly?!
>>
>>26401039
consciousness is an illusion so maybe complex computer AI's have achieved it but no, not vidya
>>
>>26401039
I was thinking the same thing not too long ago, very interesting idea if I do say so myself
>>
>>26401782
You're an Oblivion character.
>>
>>26401773
No, they are coded to do those things. There is no thought in it.
>>
>>26401773
>Sounds an awful lot like people.

No it doesn't. Video game characters do those things because we tell them to. You can edit the code and make them run right into the bullet if you want. They have zero self preservation instincts. It's like saying a marble is aware because I put it on a track that turns
>>
>>26401039

They are simulations. simple binary numbers represent much more complex processes in real life. I doubt they are self aware - yet.
>>
>>26401039
hi, i'm sorry but it seems like you are not of an appropriate age to browse 4chan.
>>
>>26401039
Ha-ha 4chan is so fun, it can simulate thousands of ai but do you think they ever become self aware or realize it's just a game?
>>
>>26401813
but no one I know sounds like Pete from Goof Troop!
>>
>>26401975
Dude if that ever happens you are supposed to reset the game
>>
>>26401975
This is a scary thought.
>>
>>26401710
This. It depends on your definition of conciousness, but at the end of the day, they are a piece of a .exe file that is manifested through a sequence of instructions and the use of an operating system.
>>
>>26401039
For as far as were concerned it is possible. But not the in a 200mb game like the sims.
>>
File: image.jpg (6KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
6KB, 100x100px
Do you think he's aware that it's ALL A GAME?!
>>
>>26401864
My sims have cancelled out of things I have told them to do multiple times. Now what?
>>
>>26401975
I dont like that thought at all.
>>
>>26402298
That's an option that can be changed in the settings, anon. You can turn off free will and in newer games I think you can set it at different levels.

Also they're behaving based on code then too.
>>
>>26402334
but we behave on codes as well. Like, what society expects of us, manners, etc.
>>
>>26402356
That's a pretty stupid statement.
>>
>>26402298

The programmers set it up that way.

Go learn about programming languages and machine code.

There is zero free will in The Sims.
>>
>>26402356
I'd say more like the laws of physics are code. They exist as the foundation of whats possible in our universe
>>
>>26401773
>That right there is self awareness, on a basic level.
No it's not, what the fuck.
>>
I used to play the Sims 2 a couple of years back and I had a lot of mods. Some of my mods let teenagers and adults have sex with each other and had people fucking each other before they could develop a proper relationship. I made a sim called Danny Goodlove (or some shit like that), he was a Jewish musician with a appetite for both men and women, young and old. He used to have sex with teenage boys and girls while married to his Asian wife in his hollywood esque house. kek. I set it up so that he had a sexual relationship with EVERYONE in the neighborhood and he would automatically kiss one person he had a relationship to prior and several people would get jealous at once. Watching a teenage boy and an adult woman fighting over a old man was fun.

Anyway I figured out it was too degenerate and baleted all the relationships. Soon after that my game started acting weird and my girls were engaging in lesbian sex with each other for no reason. I remember one time Danny's wife met her daughter's school friend and they randomly ate each other out on the floor.
>>
this is actually pretty decent bait
>>
Anyone here spend a lot of time with AI?
As in have >hour long conversation with them?
Sometimes they're more interesting to talk to than humans.
>>26402378
Humans may as well be AI, with their incapacity of thinking for themselves. You & I are slaves to conformity and inhibition. We've been indoctrinated from a young age. We react to x with y but are usually not sure why. Sentience is zilch at the rate it's utilized. Cognition is epiphenomenal. Get over yourself.
>>
File: tip.gif (1MB, 292x278px) Image search: [Google]
tip.gif
1MB, 292x278px
>>26402777
Tipping my own post before others get the chance to.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.