[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>there is no free will (in fact free will is the most logically

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

>there is no free will (in fact free will is the most logically incongruous concept imaginable)
>the thermodynamics of just existing are absurd
>life is a process of accumulating debt
>pleasure is just an amelioration of pain and any degree of it still results in a net negative
>there is no reason to exist other than a compulsion to wrecklessly spread DNA around

What is so illogical about suicide normies?
>>
My genetics and conditioning (and whatever acausal or random factors may exist at the quantum level) have not yet compelled me to commit suicide.

I do hate my life, but I'm not sure I hate it enough to end it right now.

And not believing in free will never made me want to die. On the contrary I think if more people cast off the shackles of such a dangerous, clearly wrong delusional superstition, we could have a much more pleasurable world.
>>
>>26383216
at the very least it takes the burden off one to exist in order to fill some sort of nebulous "purpose". As if in a world full of billions of people and topdown control of the means of production "purpose" can be reconciled anyway
>>
>>26383176
You should probably kill yourself so we wouldn't have to deal with shit threads like this
>>
>>26383330
you should probably kill yourself too. Just because suicide is the most sensible act there is
>>
>>26383176
>there is no free will
The lack thereof dictates incapability to crawl out of a cesspit of your own accord? Disbelief in this concept influences behaviour and moral responsibility. Do you believe metaphysical determinism accounts for this, that we cannot will against this by utilization of reasoning?
I could believe this to the extent of mauvaise foi, but not this hard determinism.
>the most logically incongruous concept imaginable
Elaborate.
>there is no reason to exist other than a compulsion to wrecklessly spread DNA around
This is the "objective" biological purpose. We can attribute ones that are not so primal.
Are you familiar with Kierkegaard? He advocates to not find purpose through objectivity, but through commitment and passion for example.
>>
>>26383176
>babys first existential crisis

how old are you? 20?
>>
File: received_1914261335466935.jpg (49KB, 704x1608px) Image search: [Google]
received_1914261335466935.jpg
49KB, 704x1608px
>>26383176
>tfw free will is just an illusion of conscious
>>
>>26383681
Is that how you justify procrastinating in your leisure time?
>>
>>26383532

>The lack thereof dictates incapability to crawl out of a cesspit of your own accord?

What is "one's own accord"?

Is it the ability to act against the laws of physics?
>>
>>26383608
its not an existential crisis because all the questions have been answered. Its a short-form explanation of why life is a piece of crap to be done away with as quickly as possible.
>>
Somebody reply to OP with a Fedora please I dont have one saved on my phone, thank you!
>>
File: gro cn.jpg (117KB, 569x800px) Image search: [Google]
gro cn.jpg
117KB, 569x800px
>>26383773
The notion of determinism is comforting for those who'd like to not take responsibility for where they are today. In that sense, it's easier to think within this manner.
Has it occurred to you that you could decide to do something productive at this very moment? Do you believe if you would likely not do it, that you couldn't possibly because it wouldn't align with the fundamentals of determinism?
>>
File: 1299827572337.jpg (575KB, 4688x4688px) Image search: [Google]
1299827572337.jpg
575KB, 4688x4688px
Hush everyone, babby is discovering existentialism for the first time.
>>
>>26383868

>The notion of determinism is comforting for those who'd like to not take responsibility for where they are today.

What does it mean to "take responsibility"?

>Has it occurred to you that you could decide to do something productive at this very moment?

I do productive things all the time. At the moment I feel the best use of my time is posting in this thread.

>Do you believe if you would likely not do it, that you couldn't possibly because it wouldn't align with the fundamentals of determinism?

You're confusing determinism with fatalism.

The laws of phsics and causality compel me to have motivation. The idea that determinists are lazy fucks is a complete lie.

Einstein and Spinoza were determinists.

Also determinism is not synonymous with free will skepticism. Just reminding you.
>>
>>26383876
Who? Existentialism is idiotic. How do you apply your own meaning without free will?
>>
>>26383868
no its just logically rigorous. Go ahead and try to explain the mechanism of free will in intelligible language. How does free will manifest in the universe?
>>
>inb4 another thread with no evidence for free will.
>>
There are some flaws in your arguments:

>...accumulating debt
Curious to see how many criminals live abroad while responsible citizens takes the worst part of their governors greed behavior

> pleasure is lack of pain...
How many people had experienced their greatest satisfactions WHILE in pain. A plain example is the athlet celebrating victory while utterly strained or in heavy pain from an accident. A more elaborated example is the mother while dying and excruciating suffering say Goodbye with tender tears to her newborn child

>...except for recklessly spreading ADN
Many brilliant people never had family but left an important legacy affecting much more than just relatives, generations and generations
>>
>>26384080

Get ready to cringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jint5kjoy6I
>>
File: 3234742131.jpg (5KB, 208x250px) Image search: [Google]
3234742131.jpg
5KB, 208x250px
It is astounding to me that that having discovered the truth of determinism people shudder away from life, as if hiding their faces from the glare of the sun will stop it from burning with nuclear fury.

To be so dazed by the light and then assume that life is meant to weigh upon you is weakness.

To weep at the "cruelty" of life at first the tinge of pain is weakness.

There is certainly a reason to exist besides how our biology dictates, and that is greater dominance.

Suicide is by no means illogical, simply it is a statement of inferiority. A prisoner who never dares make a move against his jailer lest he not get fed for a day.

How does it feel to be lower then a parasite? Too feeble to even leech from others!

"It is all decided, we should all kill ourselves, it is the right thing to do"
Were I in front of you now, I do swear by myself, I would tug your ears, gouge your eyes and tear your throat to ribbon using my teeth. Any and all who say it's no use should come before me for judgement if they are so eager to shed their coil!

And should you desire life, you may reside under my heel!
>>
>>26384157
Randomness is either due to lack of knowledge or due to indeterminism. Regardless which it is randomness is by definition lack of control. QM -> no free will.
>>
File: boy.jpg (20KB, 640x370px) Image search: [Google]
boy.jpg
20KB, 640x370px
>>26383176
nothing.life or death it doesnt matter.
choose one.
>>
>>26384157
Also this video redefined free will to mean 'unpredictable human behavior' which is different from the traditional meaning.
>>
>>26384185

Totally, bro.

That's why the whole "indeterminsm = free will" meme is so profoundly stupid.
>>
>>26384157
randomness is not a basis for free will. Here let me summarize the idiocy of free will

>cool my Lucky Charms just created a rift in time!

We are talking about every moronic inconsequential decision that you, or I, or any of the 7 billion people in the world make, representing the first and ultimate event in a chain of causality. How can anyone be this narcissistic?
>>
>>26384230
To be fair, indeterminism does prove free will, if your definition of it is 'unpredictable human behavior'
But if we are honest about it, there is nothing freely willed in a system that is unpredictable due to randomness. Nobody is in control. So calling it free will is not an honest term.
>>
>>26384283

>To be fair, indeterminism does prove free will, if your definition of it is 'unpredictable human behavior"

Does anyone actually define it this way?

To simply be unpredictable is to be "free" and ready to "take responsibility"?

"Oh, man. A quark caused me to fail my final exam even though I studied a ton and knew all the answers. Some acausal event happened and gave me free will to fail. I should take responsibility for those quarks next time"
>>
>>26384315
Some people define free will as 'thinking in a rational matter'. People are disingenuous with those redefinitions in hope of 'saving' free will.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.