[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buddhism thread?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (120KB, 500x637px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 500x637px
I guess most of you are atheists and sceptical towards religion but buddhism really helped me to get through the absolute shit I was in. I am still deppressed virgin loser but definitely not that much as I used to be. So what are your thought about buddhism. Any particular reason not to try it?
>>
>>26231387
Can religion help a person without empathy? No? Then what the hell is the point?
>>
I don't agree with the core facets. It's not bad to enjoy life or indulge in things. Karma is not real/consistent. Reincarnation is incredibly unlikely to be real too.
The only thing I agree with is: the root of all suffering is desire.
>>
>>26231534
>It's not bad to enjoy life or indulge in things
Nothing in life gives you permanent happiness, only temporary happiness. There's a reason why all these rich, attractive celebrities resort to taking drugs. If you acquire anything, you become afraid to lose it (which ends up causing more grief than joy).

The only way to achieve eternal bliss is to completely distance yourself from the material world. If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about. It's the reason why some poor person living in a slum can enjoy their life more than a relatively rich wage slave in a wealthy country.
>>
>>26231431
I would actually say that buddhism is pretty selfish religion/philosophy when compared to the others. It can't help with your empathy but it mainly focused on your view of the world and the suffering in your life. Sure dalailama says a lot about compassion and shit but I think it is secondary.
>>26231534
I would say that Karma and Reincarnation aren't thatimportant in practice of buddhism. Try zen.
>>
>>26231387
i like Buddhism and consider myself philosophically Buddhist if only because I obsess over suffering and talking about suffering and sharing pain and I don't know.
>>
>>26231534
what makes it more unlikely than likely?

that's like telling cave men about electromagnetic radiation. Then they say it's more unlikely than it is likely
>>
>>26231682
>It can't help with your empathy
As with most religion its a guide, it tells you to be compassionate. As with everything in this world you have to put in effort to see the fruits of your labor.

If you wanted to improve your empathy go out and help others in need. Go to Africa and live as they live, experience as they do, suffer as they suffer and you'll develop empathy.
>>
File: 25552603.png (191KB, 929x937px) Image search: [Google]
25552603.png
191KB, 929x937px
apathy is my religion
>>
>>26231387
look up Alan Watts on youtube
>>
I like Buddhism but hate how it's represented in the Western world. It has become the meme religion for moms in their 40s, to post select faux-spiritual crap about selflessness.
>>
File: image.jpg (35KB, 417x595px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 417x595px
>>26231387
Allahu Ackbar.

This is now a Muslim thread!

Daily reminder that /r9k/ is a Muslim board and edgy reddit atheist and cuckffar religions will not be tolerated. Islam will rule this board and rule the world inshallah! Allah is great!
>>
Because it's irrelevant and infinitely inferior to Christianity.
>>
>>26231387
I don't understand what trying a religion entails.

How can I try something if I don't believe in the supernatural?
>>
File: 1454048329448P.jpg (427KB, 1543x1360px) Image search: [Google]
1454048329448P.jpg
427KB, 1543x1360px
>>26234671
inshallah my brother.

/r9k/ for the muslims.
>>
>>26233787
I did all that but I was never able to feel anything for someone but myself :(
Honestly being among people irl is exhausting they are always expecting you to act a certain way or say certain things and I just don't care blabout them, not at all :(
I don't see religion as anything better just more pointless rules :p
>>
>>26234776
buddhism, taoism and confucianism aren't really "religions" in the traditional sense of the word
>>
File: 1447690657388.jpg (603KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1447690657388.jpg
603KB, 1600x1200px
>>26234890
Join Islam you infedel. There are no rules except to serve Allah.
>>
>>26231387
'Buddhist' here.

branding yourself and claiming this as a religion isn't what the Buddha taught. But if it helps you towards enlightenment, then by all means.
>>
>>26231431
You have empathy. You're aware of it, and you deliberately ignore it because you're scared of what would happen if you made yourself vulnerable by expressing compassion. You just say you lack empathy to be edgy. Stop being a teenager.
>>
>>26231682
There's practices like tonglen and metta meditation which are designed specifically for developing compassion.
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=9Q8z-UZYZ88

Good times from the buddhists
>>
>>26234776
Most Buddhists are atheists and the religion doesn't necessarily require that you believe in a supernatural.
>>
wew. I can smell the Haram in this thread. /r9k/ sure is being cuckffar today.
>>
>>26234986
I don't tho, I'm 23 :( I just never been able to feel anything for anyone :( stop talking that way about me ;( you know nothing about me :p it really pisses me off.
Do you have any idea what it's like having to pretend all day? :( I get shunned each time I'm sincere:( I'm forced to listen to hours upon hours of complaining by people that like me but I can't like back at all :(
You are just a stupid American weeabo aren't you :( chin chon I meditate like naruto :( you are American act like one :p
>>
>>26235189
Oh well buddhism is not for you then since you've apparently tried your darndest. Toodle-oo
>>
>>26231387
Can I reach Nirvana living in society?
>>
>>26235240
Yes. Anywhere.
>>
>>26235276
What happens when you reach it? Do you get superpowers?
>>
>>26235229
Well fuck you :( lest see if you can meditate for 80 days like buda did ;) you will literally reincarnate if you do it :) millions of starved retards that die everyday for religion can't be wrong :) go ahead join them were you belong :)
>>
>>26235291
Your soul will move to a plane of limitless possibilities, so if you wanted super powers sure.
>>
>>26235305
actually I'll approach this with the right intentions, right view, right wisdom, right resolve, right actions etc as specified in the guidelines and that would include not entertaining your silly notions.
>>
>>26235542
I'm too good for your silly religion anyways :p go ahead and live your life for a stupid notion at least normal people live their life for each other :)
>>
>>26235588
do what you want, you already are, and evidently nothing more needs to be said about that.
>>
>>26235613
But anon all I wanted was for you to fix me :( to show me love ;) I have been hurted so bad :( surely god wouldn't mind if we had a little fun :) just for this once :)
>>
>>26231682
You must first understand your suffering and overcome it, before you can help others.
>>
>>26235763
no Buddhism teaches you that not everyone can be saved, not everyone even wants to be saved. Its a pointless crusade to try to force a horse to drink water.

The only way to find inner peace is by making the journey yourself.
>>
>>26235764
There is nothing to overcome tho :( I'm just wired this way :) I know its hard to get my point across especially when so many teenagers post here but its true :( its just the way I am :)
>>
>>26235807
You are pretty dense :p I tried all my life pretty much :( knowing the reason why is libersting.
I don't have to try anymore :)
>>
>>26235848
call me a cynic but i've heard the phrase i've tried all my life far too many times to fully believe it.

I'll give you an example of trying hard and failing. Someone who is trying to put on muscle. They go to the gym lift heavier than everyone put in more effort than everyone. But they can't seem to put on muscle. Why? Not from lack of trying but because not using their brains for lack of better word. Instead of eating enough he just lifts weight. What i'm trying to say is you might be trying but are you doing it right? No point giving 100% when all that effort is being put into the wrong thing.

The first step of Buddhism requires wisdom.

TL;DR chasing your tail
>>
>>26236105
Well no, I never tried really :( not in that sense at least :p
Looking back at my life I never cared about anyone but myself, I treated others howevever I pleased with no regards for their emotions or well being :( but it just came natural :p
It didn't really hit me until college, I tryed really hard to be liked, doing wathever I wanted just didn't fly by :( and people liked me too they called me their friend :) except I never felt anything for them, it felt good to be accepted and hanging out was fun at first but I had to watch over my shoulder all the time ( couldn't let anything wrong slip :( they smiled and greeted me but I had to force myself to do the same ;p
At the end I cut contact and never looked back, I didn't feel the need to :p
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.