[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>When she says she doesn't like Kendrick Lamar

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 10

File: 1449343593851[1].png (901KB, 690x460px) Image search: [Google]
1449343593851[1].png
901KB, 690x460px
>When she says she doesn't like Kendrick Lamar
>>
>>26094917
>he says he likes kendrick lamar
>he can't hold a conversation regarding the social/economic/racial themes in his latest album

fuck off
>>
>>26095160
It's an album about mostly about himself, not social issues.
>>
>>26095194
>The Blacker the Berry
>Alright
>>
File: 1447984982830.jpg (66KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1447984982830.jpg
66KB, 640x640px
>>26095194
Hmmm, you sure about that?
>>
File: 1453962698926.gif (494KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1453962698926.gif
494KB, 200x200px
>>26095194
>album about mostly about himself, not social issues

Blacker the Berry
Alright
Institutionalized
Hood Politics

>JUST
>>
>>26095160
To be fair, To Pimp A Butterfly is much more abstract in its themes than good kid maad city or section 80 despite being the most overt.

Much of the album is characterized by it's contradictory messages such as "u" and "i" or "Wesley's Theory" and "Mortal Man" where Kendrick shows his humanity through both his good and bad. It's good to listen to, but it's not very productive to speak about since the focus is on his personal evolution.

I'd love to, say, talk about how The Blacker the Berry is a condemnation of race riots by BLM, but even within his own song he admits that he's killed black people too and it's hypocritical for him to be a moral guardian. Yet, in complexion (a zulu love) he speaks about the pride he feels in his race despite remarking Blacker The Berry condemning his own race.

Institutionalized is also another great example, where he talks about the pity he feels for his friends being greedy over the lavish life of being a rapper, yet "Hood Politics" has him sticking up for those same people and supporting that lifestyle. "These Walls" was an extended metaphor for interracial sex that was really him cucking someone he hated, yet Mortal Man has him speak with Tupac, who goes on a brief aside about the state of women in black culture.

All in all, it's a very complex album and due to that not much meaningful discussion takes place because the message isn't clear.
>>
>>26094917
cheer up anon there is a girl out there that will suck his dick for you
>>
>>26094917
Kendrick Lamar is an idiot and so are you.

His "social commentary" is so ambiguous you can barely tell what he's talking about and then he dresses it up in weird stylization under the guise of being something that you need to listen to to understand fully but it just sinks in that it's random bullshit.

It's just gross and it's not going to age well.
>>
File: j-cole-mad-grammy-loss.jpg (37KB, 545x397px) Image search: [Google]
j-cole-mad-grammy-loss.jpg
37KB, 545x397px
>>26095482
>angery j cole fan detected
>>
>>26095550
J Cole sucks too

As do 90% of rappers
>>
poor black people boohoo
>>
>>26094917
If she likes Nas then i'm good
>>
>>26095633
>90%
more like 99%
only relevant rapper right now is earl sweatshirt pretty much
>>
>>26095416
What if? I'm just saying...what if...Lamar's story is a microcosm in representation of larger world and it's troubles?

>I'd love to, say, talk about how The Blacker the Berry is a condemnation of race riots by BLM, but even within his own song he admits that he's killed black people too and it's hypocritical for him to be a moral guardian. Yet, in complexion (a zulu love) he speaks about the pride he feels in his race despite remarking Blacker The Berry condemning his own race.

BLM condemnation? Really? I felt it had more to do with condemning gang violence. I felt BTB is a blatant attack on institutional racism where at the same time calling out the rappers hypocrisy for also being complicit in the destruction of his own community (gang banging). Zulu also touches on it with its closing lyrics.

>All in all, it's a very complex album and due to that not much meaningful discussion takes place because the message isn't clear.

nah man, the messages are very clear cut. I think the real ambiguous discussion is in Lamar's growth as person throughout his entire works.
>>
File: fuckouttahere.jpg (35KB, 480x529px) Image search: [Google]
fuckouttahere.jpg
35KB, 480x529px
>>26095482
>>26095633
>>26095827
its ok if you arent into rap, just dont make a fool out of yourselves
>>
>>26095858
Sorry, I forgot I'm not supposed to have an opinion on something unless I like it
>>
>>26095416
>The Blacker The Berry
>Condeming BLM
Kek. That entire song was criticizing white people and America, barely had anything to do with Black People's part in it until the very end.
>>
>>26096028
Overall it was condemning institutional racism. I think the writer was trying to point out how different interpretations can be made about the album. His whole argument was that the album is so complex/ambiguous that no real conclusions or discussion can be made about it.
>>
File: smug dickgirls.jpg (355KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
smug dickgirls.jpg
355KB, 1280x1280px
>finally get a gf
>she thinks this dick is free
>>
>>26095827
>relevant
>Earl Sweatshirt

Earl's good but he isn't remotely relevant. If you could find 100 random people capable of naming 100 rappers it's unlikely any of them would name Earl.
>>
File: 131358782088.jpg (47KB, 360x261px) Image search: [Google]
131358782088.jpg
47KB, 360x261px
>>26095848
>BTB is a blatant attack on institutional racism
Yeah, no.

Just because something negative happens to a black person it's not because they're black, and you're being racist for assuming that.

Michael Brown robbed a convenience store 15 minutes before his death.

Blacks are more disproportionately targeted by police, yes. As are men, young people, people with tattoos, rednecks and everyone else that is more attributed with committing more crimes. If you think the American police are disingenuous then try taking a look at a place like Brazil. Or Africa.
>>
>>26096158
Yeah that's true and I definitely agree with him on that.

Maybe Kendrick went too far with the album. Provocative subject matter is great and all but when there's stanzas upon stanzas of ambiguous lyrics leading to contradictory messages it's really hard to listen to or appreciate it. I feel like a lot of the hip-hop community pretends they get it to seem smart and socially aware. I really hope his next album is cleaner in that regard.
>>
>>26095848
>What if? I'm just saying...what if...Lamar's story is a microcosm in representation of larger world and it's troubles?
I think that can be obviously grasped by anyone listening to the album, but this interpretation would be better applied to good kid maad city where the story was much more personal. To Pimp a Butterfly has a much more opaque transitions in Kendrick's growth because of the poem he keeps reciting at the end of each song.

>>26096028
>BLM condemnation? Really? I felt it had more to do with condemning gang violence. I felt BTB is a blatant attack on institutional racism where at the same time calling out the rappers hypocrisy for also being complicit in the destruction of his own community (gang banging). Zulu also touches on it with its closing lyrics.
>That entire song was criticizing white people and America, barely had anything to do with Black People's part in it until the very end.
You're both correct in your interpretations but that doesn't mean that the condemnation isn't there:

"It's such a shame they may call me crazy
They may say I suffer from schizophrenia or somethin'
But homie, you made me
Black don't crack, my nigga"
These lines are a direct reference to what happened after he tweeted about Ferguson and the double standards of the black community. In light of this article, it's not hard to see why he'd direct some of his criticism towards BLM
http://www.essence.com/2015/01/12/black-twitter-reacts-kendrick-lamar-comments-ferguson

>nah man, the messages are very clear cut. I think the real ambiguous discussion is in Lamar's growth as person throughout his entire works.
I disagree, I think Lamar's personal growth is the more obvious of the two.
>>
>>26096277
so tell me what the blacker the berry was shitting on then?
>>
>>26096277
Nigger you know that implies rationality. All of these retarded "muh institutional racism" kids are not rational thinkers. They think targeting someone for their skin color is bad, target people they don't like for their skin color, and still think what they are doing is good. Logical disconnect everywhere.
>>
>>26095416
>>26095160
dude I like his music and all but Kendrick Lamar is dumb dude, like why are all these rappers pan-africanists and pseudo-communists yet so obsessed with money, you feel me? kendrick tries to talk about contradiction and shit but his message just seems to fly past class and it's basically bourgeoisie pan-africanism
>>
>>26095482
u gotta admit though Alright is a good song
>>
File: c31.jpg (25KB, 600x592px) Image search: [Google]
c31.jpg
25KB, 600x592px
>>26096891
Perhaps the "gangsta" trope is played out and we see more pseudo-philosophizing from supposedly good rappers who are deemed notable because they break the stereotype?
>>
File: 1449362762109.png (444KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1449362762109.png
444KB, 800x600px
>>26094917
>when the white suburban cuck says he listens to niggers "rap" about imaginary niggershit
>>
>>26096891
Kind of agree, he's getting into Lupe Fiasco territory with his new album. He's smart but not that smart.
>>
dumb drakeposters
>>
>>26097205
>>26097205
wh.. what's wrong with Lupe?
>>
File: memerapper.png (47KB, 635x402px) Image search: [Google]
memerapper.png
47KB, 635x402px
>>26095160
watever tryhard nigga i jus here for da memes
>>
>>26097205
Motherfucker what is wrong with you. Kendrick isn't trying to be "smart" or pretentious, he's an observer speaking about the society he was raised in
>>
>>26096387
>>26096768
all right!
Can we agree that the album is purposely ambiguous/contradictory to portray the rappers conflicting feelings about his race and community?
He loves his hood, it's people, but he both loves and condemns their actions/lifestyles because he is aware that a lot of it is detrimental.
>>26095416
>>26095482
>>
>>26096891
Nah, but Kendrick is the real thing though. He's not kanye/middle-class college educated talking about black problems with a silver-spoon in my mouth tier.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.