[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>the foundations of reality are flimsy at best >the more

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 11

File: 1449326718002.jpg (75KB, 480x410px) Image search: [Google]
1449326718002.jpg
75KB, 480x410px
>the foundations of reality are flimsy at best
>the more you examine and question deeper into the mere concept of existence, the more elusive and nonsensical it becomes
>the concept of the self operates likewise
>there is no true you, every aspect of your self-concept is constructed and you delude yourself into believing it
>your mind is essentially a self-aware void
>being is out of nothing
>being is nothing
>existence in its entirety is incomprehensible and any attempt to deconstruct it will still ultimately be bound by the rules from within, rendering all attempts futile
>can either an hero, but the experience of nothingness may be invalid and you risk reentering existence having never actually left
>or accept the absurd and be no further ahead than you were except now you've just swept it all under the rug and either delude yourself into meaning or accept nihilism and simply exist until you die

i just wish sentience wasnt such a burden sometimes. i mean, the last bit there isn't so bad and usually just existing without really caring about petty stuff is nice but the nihilistic crises get really old after about the fourth one.
>>
>>26074830
Ayyy lmao I just smoked some dank 420 too!!
>>
Fuck you op I could have lived my entire life in blissful ignorance of your soul crushing reality.
>>
>>26075202
that's what normies (you) get for coming to this website
>>
>>26074830
Just keep yourself constantly busy! That's what I do.
>>
>>26075202
>>26075306
>>26075350
Ayyy lmao my rebits we all smokin day kushy kush 2nite
>>
Well experience of nothingness is definitely invalid, but how do you think we reenter existence. Do you think it's something akin to reincarnation or are you just "you" forever?
>>
The only thing that could would make this reality make any sense would be something extrinsic to it

My vote goes for simulated universe t b h
>>
>>26075983
>>26076014
Ayyy lmao the omnivore makes so much more cents when you light day green and enjoy day kush
>>
>>26076067
What's the point you're trying to make here?
I don't get it
>>
>>26076166
Just smokin my bowls to be in the same mindset at op
>>
>>26074830
>being is out of nothing
>being is nothing

Thats slightly misleading though, I get what youre saying fundamentally, but its really more to the point to say it exists only unto itself, its internally consistent. There is no intrinsic meaning aside from what is experienced and all means to that end

In any case, ever since I've started to have these thoughts I've found it more difficult to fall asleep, or change conscious states in general, having such a ill-fated conception of it all I can't stick my head out into the full extent of this shit until I at least have a solid foundation in my mind.
>>
They better be flimsy
I don't think I could take them being anything else
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 236x203px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 236x203px
I am a nihilist OP and existence is absurd and anyone trying to reason with it is an idiot, but I'm too afraid to kill myself (a fear we both share, looking at your post) and instead I live. I live because I'm too afraid to die and while I'm here, I plan on living as comfortably as possible. While I'm here I'll immerse my self in hedonistic pleasures and fuck over anyone and anything in my way. My nihilism allows me to operate without the fear of repercussions or being labeled 'deplorable' or 'evil', fear not though Norman, my search for max net pleasure strays me away from doing things that would be considered 'too immoral' or anything that might cause future restrictions of pleasure by the ignorant meat puppets who're my fellow men.

This gives me a sense of happiness, when I feel sad or angry or frustrated or disgusted I remember my simple philosophy on life and I say to myself 'it doesn't matter, we all die in the end', then I continue where I left off. Steam rolling over everyone and everything, free of good or bad, heaven or hell, God or no God. I couldn't care less.
>>
>>26076233
>>26076250
>>26076253
Ayyy lmao nottin like lighting up dat sticky icky
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 366x425px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 366x425px
>>26076253
>better pic

I'm a robot? 1 minute, lack of originality?
>>
>>26074830

i've been feeling these feels today. sometimes i try to analyze what its all about, but obviously our mind simply cannot comprehend it.

should i just be like "fuck it, i can't know so i might as well not care?" or should i try to think critically about reality and my place in it?
>>
>>26076353
Ayyyy lmao dem buildings lightin up like my bowl
>>
>>26076314
Are you doing about weed as in marijuana? Thats illegal senpai I ain't no nigger
>>
>>26076375
I'm sorry, I'll stop
>>
>>26074830
>accept nihilism and simply exist until you die
this is the best option desu
>>
>tfw we are all the same entity, right now we are actually experiencing existence from my body but to each of you the same can be said and be valid

Literally the truth, believe it or not. I wonder how it progresses from one life to the next though.

Anyways hi future perspectives!
>>
>>26076511
What is "the future", really, then?
If there's a meta-timeline as you seem to be proposing, it would be, in and of itself, equally as ridiculous as the timeline we are currently experiencing, unless explained by another meta-timeline which would then need to be explained by another and another, reaching out into infinity
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 236x314px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 236x314px
>>26076511
You're reasoning assumes that there's a repeat button somewhere at the end of the universe, even if this were true, what does it have to do with nihilism, absurdism, and existentialism? Experiencing everything forever still offers no meaning; experiencing everything forever is absurd and sounds like an act of punishment?
>>
>>26076546
I just mean another moment, thats all i mean, before or after hardly have significance except if you pretended each moment of existence was a frame of video and looked at it back to front.

And it goes in a loop, which seems ridiculous, but has to be true since we find ourselves at any particular moment at all
>>
This seems to be a somewhat appropriate place to ask about something I have been wondering for the last few days. Is it possible to objectively affirm that something must exist, for we can perceive or have the illusion of doing so? I always thought we could never really know anything, not even that we cannot know anything with certainty, which is paradoxical but reasonable in a way. A few days ago, however, I came across the thought that something must undoubtedly exist for us to exist in any way, be it objectively or simply as an illusive abstraction.
>>
>>26074830
Only stupid people actually think this way. The moment you believe that there's anything that can't be understood, you've given up.
>>
>>26076587
That's a really dumb quote in your pic.
>THE ONLY THING TO DO IS THE THING I WANT YOU TO DO
What if I'm okay with being unfree? What if I don't care and find something else to do? Camus is a faggot.
>>
File: image.png (123KB, 385x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
123KB, 385x400px
>>26076594
I don't think you can, not even 'I' or thought.
>>26076844
More like

>There probably isn't any meaning in the world and to try to carve out some own personal meaning is probably a meaningless thing to do, but you should try anyway. Enjoy whatever this is.
>>
File: 1367596218707.jpg (91KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
1367596218707.jpg
91KB, 500x363px
I use to be a nihilist like you but then I found GOD.

Well not really. I mean not a bearded god that sits in a cloud but one that exists outside of time/space and therefore is not an entity like you or me.

Alan Watts helped me to see a new perspective on reality.
>>
File: image.png (96KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
96KB, 680x680px
>>26077264
Does he ask you to spread poo on your head?
>>
>>26076645

A good starting point on this topic is Descartes' Mediations

The better answer lies in what is likely to be true and acting on probabilities, but it's a long conversation.
>>
>>26075940
you ever think to yourself, not everything is related to drugs you fucking mobbit?
>>
literally just enjoy it
i get stoned out of my brain, do illegal shit to make money and fuck easy girls
i live comfortably, have tons of times for my hobbies and don't have a girlfriend
life is the shit when you just bee yourself man
>>
reality literally only exists because evolution allows it to exist. Thats literally the answer.
>>
>>26077316
I considered thinking about what is by thinking about what is more likely to be, but in my opinion calculated probabilities are most likely too affected by our perception to hold any value. Of course, the lack of an alternative option makes prediction seem like a solution, but no matter how reliable human methods like the principle of parsimony get, it will have always been conceived by something that has a limited perspective over things.

I will reread Meditations though, so thanks for the recommendation. I read it years ago and at the time I just rushed through the whole text without putting any mind to it.
>>
File: 1445558124202.jpg (227KB, 1173x392px) Image search: [Google]
1445558124202.jpg
227KB, 1173x392px
>>26077570
Afaik(and I only have a very cursory understanding of philosophy) is that it goes something like this.
>I think therefore I am
>Hume's Bundle Theory
>Whatever Kant said cause I need to read
>Nietzsche changes it to "it thinks"
Anyone well versed in philosophy able to give a quick rundown of where epistemology and ontology are at right now? Is there anything besides the Munchhausen Trilemma? Obviously there are going to be counterpoint but are there any wothwhile conclusions that allow us to posess knowledge or pursue truth?
>>
File: merrily merrily.jpg (44KB, 364x561px) Image search: [Google]
merrily merrily.jpg
44KB, 364x561px
The only solution I see currently(if you consider philosophy dead or at least stagnant) is to work on immortality and then subsequently enhancing our own intelligence. I feel like I would actually want to study anti-aging but depression consumed me a year ago, I dropped out of college, and I see no future for myself. I'm also too lazy to give a shit about much of anything anymore. I want off Mr.Bones wild ride
>>
Any reading you guys would recommend outside of the traditional canon? Anything you enjoy?
>>
File: dontsweatsmallstuff.jpg (20KB, 222x320px) Image search: [Google]
dontsweatsmallstuff.jpg
20KB, 222x320px
>>26076253
>I plan on living as comfortably as possible

>tfw I unironically agree with this sentiment minus purposefully fucking over other people
>>
>>26076199

Seriously why is questioning the phenomenon that is existence so frowned upon? I don't get it why it has to be reddit/DUDE every time.
>>
>>26074830

The thing that fucks me up and it fucking hard to explain is the way every thing simply IS.

Like the very fact that anything is anything at all is just fucking bizarre. It sounds shallow through text because I still haven't found the right words to explain it.

Also I hate how discussing this always triggers some superior faggot to say something like "babbys first existential crisis," it's a progression, you don't just go from being babbys first straight to grandaddies total acceptance.
>>
>>26079556
I think that they think that you think you're being really intelligent and unique and superspecial
They see it through the lens of ego and self-gratification over a genuine need to sate your curiosity and justify or at least explain your existence
Either that or it's a c o n s p i r a c y
>>
>>26079556
They find it uselessly are too small minded to question it themselves and this feel threatened. It's a coping mechanism I think
>>
>>26078657
Where do you stop though?
Like, let's say you are happy eating ice cream. What about eating ice cream and getting a blow job? What about doing all that while on ecstasy? Where are you satisfied? What about negative hedonism?
>>
>>26079655
Useless or*
>>
>>26078378
I'm more involved with a very narrow area in metaphysics, but analytic philosophy looks like this at the moment.

Epistemology:
>No gives a shit about scepticism
>Theories of justification are still fucked because of the Geitter problems and because a theory of justification must somehow justify itself (circularity problems)
>Every other person has retreated in meta-philosophical bullshit about intuitions, pragmatism, and truth making
>Outside of mathematical induction (logics and set theory), everyone caved and pulled 'cogency' card for shit in regular epistemological stuff, the philosophy of science, and the philosophy of religion

Ontology:
>Nominalism and Platonism are both all over the fucking place
>The problem of empty names never goes away
>Half the shit talked about has turned into philosophy of language because of existential quantifiers
>Meinongian's are ignored
>Possible worlds are fucking everything up for everyone

At least no one's run out of things to talk about.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-27-03-09-25.png (455KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-27-03-09-25.png
455KB, 1080x1920px
>>26079905
Thanks for the rundown yo I owe you one
>>
>>26074830
The foundation of our human reality is three dimensional. You realize that life is without purpose because you do not have to survive. In a infinite dimensional universe, there is no real purpose but for existence sake. You live because energy has transformed and as soon as you die, energy will transform in something different. The suffering is eternal.
>>
>>26079579
I've been having crises like OP for like 5 years now. Babbys first quickly turns into babbys tenth with periods of grandbabbies acceptance in between.

Anyway ik those f's about how existence is so bizarre. It only makes sense if you accept a deity and if you don't it's just this spontaneous self-recurrent somethingness that might be cyclical in origin or have come from nothingness, both of which make equally little sense.

I tend to just accept that no one will ever know jack about reality in our lifetime. Maybe in thousands of years when we link our minds to a hyperintelligent AI, but for now I guess we can just revel in awe at the fact that Being is, and has arranged itself into fantastical forms like life, or other humans, or the art they create. We can enjoy the strange immaterial phenomena of emotions and even channel them in such a way they can be felt by others in their own unique way through the act of creation.

Whether existence is a gift or a burden is ultimately perception I suppose. If you feel trapped like how OP does/did, it's just a matter of reframing how you see the world from reading that post and thinking 'oh no :-(' to "oh yeah B^)" and just floating through the world in your meat puppet enjoying the shit out of this weird fucking life.
>>
>try to think deeply about reality, existence, life and death etc.
>5 mins later I've drifted off
>now thinking about pizza, old cartoons and girls armpits

I don't think I'm cut out for this
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.