[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else feel like listening to too much metal while growing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: metal.jpg (118KB, 674x608px) Image search: [Google]
metal.jpg
118KB, 674x608px
Anyone else feel like listening to too much metal while growing up stunted their social development?
>>
i'm kind of glad i was a stoner wrong generation classic rock faggot when i was a teenager than some smelly metal head
>>
Hard to say. I didn't really get into music until I was maybe 14? But I was a pretty devout metalhead from then until I was maybe 18 or 19. I think it fueled some of my lonerism in high school but it hasn't had much effect on my adult life, imho.
>>
>>26002929
>tfw 21
>finally growing into metal after spending years listening to indie, jazz, classical, experimental music, etc.
>>
At first it helped a lot, but when my hair was up to my back I think it kinda started fucking my shit up.
I'm glad I got into playing instruments, though.
>>
I was a hardcore kid.
I don't think it had any effect, it is still a bond to my old highschool friends.
>>
>>26003040
it's sad to see someone regress

sorry anon, so so sorry
>>
>>26002929
I grew up listening to Iron Maiden, Burzum, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and other rock/metal bands.

I've always been considered, in every social environment I was into, a creep with a weird musical taste. But I think music is just a factor of influence regarding your social development. For example, before the moment that I've discovered rock music (when I was 10 years old) I was already a "weirdo".
>>
>>26003040
So you're deliberately going back an evolutionary step and listening to greasy white trash neanderthal noise?
>>
any black dahlia fags in here

my favorite metal band

normally listen to softshit like defeater and pianos become the teeth thoug
>>
>>26003126
Abysmal was good
>>
File: 1428349955939.jpg (266KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1428349955939.jpg
266KB, 960x960px
>>26003154
>tfw not really interested in them since john left and ryan replaced him

something is off now. the sinister charm is gone from their sound. now its more technical dick showing
>>
>>26003062
eh. I find that many types of metal have influenced some non-metal styles I like (math rock, noise rock, post-rock etc.) and it's interesting to hear it from a historical standpoint.

for all the posturing anti-metal fags do, technically speaking it's not a whole lot different from other kinds of pop music. it's just got a silly "br00tal" image around it, but then again all rock is obsessed with silly images and rebelliousness. it seems people are more worried about their own image and how others perceive, rather than anything musical
>>
>tfw i only listen to normie music
>can talk with other normies about music
>they compliment my music taste
this happens often and it is one step closer to me being a normie
>>
>>26003223
It was better than their last few releases desu.
Still doesn't feel right without shannon on drums either, he's one of the few gotta go fast drummer you can easily distinguish.
>>
Metal was best for my social life. I always preferred atmospheric/drone/depressive black metal but still went to shows and got to know the scene. Since I got into break core, noise, and weird shit I've found its pretty lonely. I almost think it's a meme and something is wrong with me for enjoying it. Metal is still better than all faggot normie shit like jazz, pop, rock, and coon tunes, but aside from the older black metal I don't listen to much anymore
>>
The most normie period of my life is when I listened to metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L397TWLwrUU
>>
>>26003228
math rock is more jazz fusion than metal, and the others were more influenced by shoegazey ambient stuff than metal

i don't care about any image as long as i find the music is interesting, and i just don't find much interest in the little i've explored in metal. the most i'll listen to is meshuggah because the odd time signature stuff is interesting.

i sometimes go into the metal threads on /mu/ and i just don't enjoy much of anything in it. they always post songs that have 48 different sections that switch every 10 seconds in a 6 minute song. it's just too much for me.
>>
>>26003319
math rock is nothing like fusion. in fusion people actually know about harmony and don't act pretentious to compensate for a poor grasp of music the way math rock does with it's dorky obsession with time signatures and "dissonance". Allan Holdsworth can play every note wrong for 5 minutes at 140bpm and sound good, skinny emo twinks banging on minor sixth power chords making noise is total shit in comparison.
>>
>>26003319
>the others were more influenced by shoegazey ambient stuff than metal

I suppose it depends on what groups you're talking about, but stuff like black metal and sludge have definitely found their way into post and noise rock. Sabbath along with other early heavy metal groups pretty much gave alt rock many of its tropes

I listen to something like the first Iron Maiden album and find it hard to meaningfully separate it from punk or alt stuff that followed

I definitely gravitate to anything doom or sludge but I also like the weird time sig stuff. technical stuff can be fun but does get boring quickly. all in all I find that metal is not much different from other pop I listen to - some interesting stuff, some boring stuff
>>
I didn't start listening to metal until I was in my 20s
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 500x500px
Metalheads are some of the most autistic people on earth.
Shit fashion
Shit taste
Shit attitude
Shit elitism

Seriously, fuck you, Fish
Autistic metalhead tripfag
Fuck the Fish
>>
>>26002929
No. I was always timid and polite even when I was listening to black metal into my screamo bands.
>>
>>26002929
No, I didn't listen to heavy metal until I was in college, and it actually normalized me. I was really hyper-active and a bit feminine. Listening to heavy metal gave me male role models (really shitty ones, granted) and put a bit of hair on my chest, figuratively speaking. When I started listening to more complex forms of metal, it would take up a lot of my concentration to listen to it. I became interested in music, then math, and finally discovered my love of modal logic.

The metalhead scene in my school was also huge, and it gave me a group of friends who were generally shitty people. I was pretty sheltered growing up, and they taught me how to banter and how to hide my powerlevel.

Currently writing my first major philosophy article for a master's program, listening to An Autumn For Crippled Children. I'm still a little autistic, like sometimes I get a little too personal when I banter with normies. But otherwise, heavy metal led to a general improvement in my life.
>>
>>26003126

i took guitar lessons from ryan knight.

a big part of my wardrobe are metal t-shirts, my gf hates them but I still got a gf.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.