[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is everyone depressed?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: 1452905413112.jpg (65KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1452905413112.jpg
65KB, 604x453px
I've been told by numerous sources that all humans are discontent and unhappy with their lives.
Depression is apparently just a universal condition and only special snowflakes tell people that they have 'clinical depression'.
Is this true?
>>
No, it's not.

I mean, as a pessimist, I'm inclined to regard life as a fundamentally useless exercise of futility and vanity, but others can delude themselves into 'happiness.'
>>
There's a difference between being discontent and being depressed. There's also mild and serious depression.
>>
>>25909913
Care to explain the difference between the 3?
>>
>>25910166
He doesn't know what he's talking about.
>>
>>25909510
>tfw it's my 20th birthday in 3 months
>and I'll spend it like pic related
>>
I don't think so. Otherwise, wouldn't it be acceptable to talk about suicide?

It's almost always on my mind but it feels like I can't talk about it with anyone. If I tell people I love they'll feel hurt, if I tell a shrink I'll get sent to the funny farm and if I tell people who don't know me they'll call me an attention whore. Sometimes I think the best option might be to talk about it with people who hate me so that they'll help me go through with it. People say it's not normal.
>>
>>25910835
The people who dont want to talk about suicide are the weakest, most fucked up and secretly depressed normies. Don't you get it? Just talking about ti makes them uncomfortable because then THEY have to think about it. They worked hard to repress all thoughts about suicide.
>>
Wait a minute, what if everyone around you secretly hates their life and wants to die, just like you! But then how could humanity have continued to have procreated and expanded so much for the last 100 thousand years if that were the case?
>>
>>25910941
through sheer denial on a massive scale
>>
>>25910941
Maybe they aren't complete pussies like me?
>>
Hunter-gatherers are not depressed.
>>
>>25909510
no there is an overwhelming amount of evidence for the existence of depression

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18923511
>>
>>25909510
Last time I remember feeling full and sustained happiness was childhood. I hope life works out well enough for me to feel that way again at least one more time before I die.
>>
>>25909510
No most people just have some nuiscance in their life and think anytime someone is complaining about their life its something small, when in reality they can't understand some people have real mental issues from bad genetics or a very shitty life.
>>
>Is everyone depressed?
no, you dumb bitch, it's just you
you and your poorfag coworkers with no future
you and your other fucking church hens who sold out their dreams to be housewives
you and your fucking neurotic husband who never got over daddy verbally abusing him every day of his childhood

most people with your level of education and grooming should be capable of more happiness than that
i'd rather kill myself or drop out of society than deal with this defeatist live-miserably-through-every-day bullcrap
>>
The more aware a person is, the more he is depressed. People vary on level of awarness, so they vary on levels of depression. you could say that pretty much all adult men are depressed to some degree. for more you can read Zapffe and Becker.
>>
>>25910941
I'm going to argue that the advancement of society and changes in social environments leads to certain extremes that does not help the weak willed to get better. Certain people are considered valuable for things other people can't have, rather than the potential.

One can argue that an increase of technological advancement makes some natural factors obsolete. While at the same time, promoting some characteristics that isn't worth bringing up. Such as WSHH.
>>
>>25911645
You're quite the faggot.
>>
>>25910857
you are, originally posted, 100% correct
>>
>>25911410
underrated post
agriculture was a mistake
>>
>>25909806
somebody's been reading the conspiracy against the human race
>>
>>25911592
Actually I want to be a husband and have a house wife i am depressed that wont ever happen
>>
Not depressed in a clinical sense, but most people are extremely unfulfilled and discontent.

Desire is a fundamental part of a healthy life. Not necessarily a desire for any specific thing, but a desire for some thing. Various religious groups have tried to find ways to tackle this issue. Obviously groups such as Buddhists believe that desire is the source of pain and that the first step to achieving true enlightenment is to rid yourself of desire. Growing up Catholic I was taught the concept of "in statu viae", which roughly translates to "in a state of journeying" and asserts that our lives are a journey to get to know God and that we will never be complete until we do it. Personally, as a non-believer, I do agree that we are in on a journey to achieve some sort of fulfillment and that this desire is ultimately the cause of our suffering, but I don't think it's possible to will ourselves into not wanting. But this is not a bad thing, because that desire is our reason to live. When we get things that we want, things that make us feel good, is when the brain releases dopamine. Dopamine is often misunderstood as simply a pleasure inducing chemical when the reality is that it has much more to do with reward. It tells us to keep doing those things that make us feel good, to keep working towards our desires. But, tolerance to these things builds up and what gave us a large dose of dopamine one day will not do so the next day, and we're cursed to keep searching for something else to fulfill us. This is why you hear normies who have had lives that we would kill for talking about how "depressed" they are. They've built up a tolerance to the pleasures that we've never had. It takes much more to make them happy than it would take to make us happy.

Real depression is essentially when that desire does not exist. Essentially, their natural tolerance is so high that they feel no reward for their actions and nothing natural can fulfill them. They can't produce enough dopamine.
>>
>>25912307
I also didn't have space to add but I'm speaking specifically of low dopamine depression. There's a bit of a different in low serotonin depression but the basic ideas remain the same, it's just that instead of not being rewarded for what feels good and thus not having a reason to pursue things that feel good, people with low serotonin simply don't normally feel good from anything.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.