[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have baby boomers really fucked up the economy or is it just a meme?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

Have baby boomers really fucked up the economy or is it just a meme?
>>
>>25830167

Stop complaining. You milennials have no idea how hard it was. Tuition was as high as $400, and five bedroom houses cost a whole $20k in the suburbs. By golly, those were hard times.
>>
ya

tuition,
mortgage
car
insurance
taxes

all fuck us in the ass.
>>
>>25830167
>compounding interest
>imaginary money/value system
>endless supply of people who will work for less-than-livable wages
>nation of fucking simpletons when it comes to conceptualizing centralized, planned economy ("keep gubermint outta muh pockets!")
>greedy fucks who prey on the above and have no intention of making things better for them. except when necessary, to prevent anarchy.

i think these are the main things that are responsible for how the economy is.

everyone is really cucked by the government. but that's changing because of the internet. people are joining together to be outraged in large numbers. it's a shame that Black Lives Matter and the lone, rogue gunmen shooting police officers are scaring poor white people. that's the exact tone of action needed to bring change.

you need thousands of dollars just to dispute a business or employer in court. isn't that fucking crazy?
>>
>>25830167
>shipped literally every possible job to china and india
>allowed feminism to grow to nightmare proportions
>women driven into labor supply, reducing the value of labor (and thus wages)
>mexicans allowed to flood across the border to reduce the value of labor (same as above)
>now that labor value is driven down so much familys must have 2 incomes just to survive; all women must work even if they dont want to
>none of us will ever have a wife or kids because of above reasons
>politicans allowed to become incredibly corrupt
>the media became a giant lying propaganda machine
>inflation and the federal reserve has fucked everyone out of any wage gains for 40 years
>wealth inequality is at crisis levels
>education is now incredibly feminized
>healthcare, education and housing are all incredibly expensive
>so much deficit spending its literally collapsing some nations, the rest not far behind
>political correctness is so extreme you cant even speak your mind without fear of retaliation

You tell me bro. You tell me.
>>
>>25830167
It was unions and colleges. Unions because they got all the non-college degree jobs shipped overseas. Colleges because they basically turned everything else into requiring a degree including thousands of jobs that didn't need one before.
>>
>>25830476
I agree with you on all those points but it wasn't boomers who initiated them, they just allowed them to grow. I find reasons to hate almost any generation, but I've only encountered boomers, generation x, and millenials. I have about as much hatred for Gen X as I do for boomers.
>>
File: 02.png (70KB, 554x527px) Image search: [Google]
02.png
70KB, 554x527px
>>25830167
>work at a retail store 40+ hours a week
>pay over $100 in taxes every check
>hear an old woman at work in the break room bragging about getting Social Security and still working
>mfw
>>
In broader terms, the portion of national income going to workers has been steadily declining, and the average purchasing power of wage-earners has stagnated. Most likely the cause of this is the belief that the government is a business that needs to earn money, rather than the more realistic view that the government provides a service to the people and is in fact the source of money. Which is to say austerity, dating back to the Reagan administration and the rise of "gubmint is the problem" sloganeering.
>>
>wah wah wah it's everyone's fault but my own WAWAAAAAAAH TFW NO GF ;_;
-every r9shitter ever
>>
>>25831645

wow you present a good argument you fucking retard
>>
>>25831645

>live in soviet states
>holodomor
>wah wah wah it's everyone's fault by my own

point is when it comes to economy and such it doesnt simply revolve around the individual you stupid fuck
>>
>>25831433
>wahhh a small portion of my wages go to keeping our society functional
>>
>>25832125
The wretched bitch should quit and live off benefits instead of taking a position that a young person could fill instead of stealing jobs and conning the system.

Fucking cunt.
>>
>>25832303
Yup because you're more worthy of a job than anyone else is, right?
>>
>>25830167
>le boomers meme

well done OP!
>>
>>25832374
I already have a job but there are people who need one and somebody already old enough to retire and collecting gov assistance is a cunt in the word itself
>>
>>25830476

>Black Lives Matter

You know that's just a political tool funded by a billionare boomer right? They're the ones who started the hippy bullshit remember.
>>
>>25830167
Of course, keep on blaming it on the boomers. It's as if they have exceeding power and control over the fate of our world.

Seriously, the rich and powerful did this, stop believing their horseshit.
>>
>>25832374
I'm pretty sure any young man can do more work at faster rates then old women.
>>
>>25832506
So why are you more deserving of a job than the people who need one?
>>
>>25832596
I'm young and physically able to work most jobs. I'm not going to drop dead in 2 years from old age or some other health issue that is due in age.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9bVnQPaj48
>>
>>25832586
>implying retail stores are factory lines

>>25832635
Itf shes still able to work shes probably not going to die that soon
>>
File: 1438713965031.png (114KB, 418x455px) Image search: [Google]
1438713965031.png
114KB, 418x455px
Your average baby boomer has little to do with our economic woes, although smug comments like "Kids these days are so lazy" don't fix anything. The bourgeoisie, young and old, are the true enemies. They are the ones who force deregulation and austerity, who keep wages low, who force us to work the same hours for the same pay despite increased productivity. We produce more than ever, at rates faster than ever, but why are we working more hours than our parents? It is the nature of capitalism to exploit when the people are disorganized.

This is not merely a problem of poverty and inequality, but a problem of authentic happiness. We are slaves to capital; we will soon think of ourselves as capital, rather than human beings. We must liberate ourselves from the chains of hyperconsumption and over-industrialism before it is too late.
>>
>>25832792
Have you ever worked in retail? Other then cashiering there's also a lot of heavy lifting and it requires you to be on your feet at all times.
>>
it was more that the boomers just happened to grow up in a period - the 50s and 60s - where all the economic stars aligned to their benefit. Europe and Japan were heaps of smoking rubble, India and China weren't really in the world economy, and the war had been essentially a massive stimulus package for the one intact first-world nation left, America. Technology wasn't advanced enough that most work could be automated to any large extent. You could get a secure job that paid enough to support a family without even a high-school diploma because business needed a great deal of labor and US labor was the only game in town.

All of that's gone, never to return. There's literally two billion more people competing for jobs in this day and age, and most of them are in China or India, and willing to work for a lot less than the US minimum wage. You no longer need 20,000 unskilled workers to run a factory, you need maybe 100 skilled workers, a bunch of machines, and one unskilled worker to mop the floor.

I'm not mad at the boomers for having been born at the right time, I'm mad at them for failing to realize that times have changed, and drastically.
>>
>>25831645
You very smart.
>>
>>25832872
>bourgeoisie
Do you even know what that means?
>>
>>25833171
Yeah, if they had stopped having like 4 kids each, then maybe the population would be stable enough not to fuck with the world economy.

But nobody cares because the owners of the world like having cheap labor.
>>
>>25830167
>parents say if they could work jobs and pay for their college and live on their own i could too
>NYC
>tuition for even community college is not lower than 3k A SEMESTER
>parents dont have a degree
>living in the city is probably same or more expensive than tuition
>commuting is literally 4 hours of the day gone
>having a working phone + internet is enough to have you starving for it
>working a part time job and after almost 3 months only have 700 dollars saved up
>this is working 4 to 6 hours a day already
>working full 8 hours for like 50 dollars more a week is a waste of time

i wish i was a beautiful girl and lived life on easymode
>>
>>25832872
>people are spouting marxism at college
>I'm 20
>mom is with me for printing stuff
>mom pushes me away from them
>i ask why
>she doesn't tell me why
>she won't tell a 20 year old adult who knows what marxism is, what's wrong with listening to their political stances
>thinks she can do no wrong
>>
>>25833171
>I'm not mad at the boomers for having been born at the right time, I'm mad at them for failing to realize that times have changed, and drastically.
This. They want to just kick their children out and give them responsibilities they never had.
>>
>>25833483
You don't get it. You have to go through an unending cycle of debt and loans, son. That is the only way. And when your business venture fails or company lays you off you must pull yourself up from your bootstraps and try AGAIN. You kids have no idea what it was like growing up with the aid of your daddy's GI Bill.
>>
>>25833526

>1st world college campus """"marxism""""

Your mom is saving you from a phase before it begins.
>>
>>25833569
I'm not a developing preteen. I went back to the table anyway, I was more redpilled than they were, I could make my own damn table.
>>
>>25830167
They let the banks run away with everything when they were doing coke in the 80s.

That thing they did with the housing market in 08?

Yea, they're doing it again. With college loans. We're COMPLETELY fucked.
>>
>>25831154
yeah it was the blue collar guys organizing for higher wages that fucked the economy. Not you know, endless war and neoliberalism
>>
>>25830167
life will be a lot better for everyone when they all fuck off and die.
>>
>>25831645
>When a normalfag think every single god damn thing is only in their control

You're no-true-scottsman is showing
>>
>>25831154
UNIONS ARE BAD11111
>>
you faggots are pathetic.
>go to college
>for medicine or engineering, NOTHING else
>get successful because these fields are always in demand

what's 20k debt when you're making 100k annually?
>>
>>25835193
>for medicine or engineering, NOTHING else
>>get successful because these fields are always in demand

>Go to a program you might not even enjoy
>Pay you debts by getting in more debts
>Go to a program that are super competitive

R E T A R D
>>
>>25835193
>not choosing CS
>any job I want
>work from home
>$100k starting
>>
My tuition is $400
kek
>>
>>25833526
>college campus communists
you really wonder why your mother doesn't want you associating with those fucktards?
>>
>>25835193
>>25835251
Here is a version for those not cut out for STEM..

- Go to local public community college for your first two years:
-for your core classes, make sure they transfer, they have a system set up with the local flagship universities so you can confirm what classes transfer

-Transfer to your flagship state uni after you get your cores/other bullshit out of the way

Assuming you work a part time job/intern in the summer you'll be graduate with minimal very manageable debt no problem.
>>
>>25830476
>endless supply of people who will work for less-than-livable wages

I think this is the biggest thing. Globalism. Waves of migrants who will work for a horrible quality of life because otherwise their gigantic brown families would be starving.

There's no such thing as national allegiance anymore, and nobody influential cares about anything other than money.
>>
>>25835193
Wrong, retard. You should only go to college for a degree that matches your intellectual strengths and your personal interests. There is literally no reason for someone like me to become a doctor instead of a programmer. Not only do I enjoy programming, I also seem to have a much better grasp on it than the majority of my fellow programmers-in-learning. I'm in the top 1% for mathematical ability in the United States, and while I'm not at all interested in actual math, the talent I have in maths is critical for becoming a good programmer. Why waste my talent and become a doctor?
>>
God, can you guys fucking believe that fifty years ago, you would be married at 20, you'd be buying your first house, you'd have your own car, and your life would be getting settled?

This shit was the STANDARD back then. Can you believe that? When leaving your parents at 18 was normal because you could afford it? It fucking baffles me.
>>
>>25835504

No that was never the standard.

That was movies. Most people in America haven't moved further than 15miles from their hometown.

That is a statistical reality.

Also you had a tiny house, houses have ballooned in the past few decades. Like more than doubled in size.
Cars from the '60s sucked, high cost of maintenance, and unsafe.
>>
>>25835561
>Most people in America haven't moved further than 15miles from their hometown.
?? How is that relevant?

How small is tiny?
And cars from the sixties were beautiful gtfo
>>
>>25831716
Almost as good as yours, right
>>
>>25832303
>>25832506
Try living off social security
>>
>>25830167
Kinda, doesn't help that millenials mostly have piss poor attitudes and work ethics.
>>
>>25833379
> then maybe the population would be stable enough not to fuck with the world economy
let the adults do the talking
>>
>>25833545
> responsibilities they never had
wanting the newest iPhone isn't a responsibility
>>
Baby Boomers are the retards who voted away the policies that built a middle class. Now those who want to return to those same successful policies of the past are labeled "progressives", and "conservatives" oppose them while simultaneously proclaiming everything was better back then. Bizarro.
>>
>>25833560
> thinks debt is unavoidable
>>
>>25835504
That wasn't normal, people would get married then live with their parents for years
>>
>>25836080
> I have no idea what political labels mean
>>
Just think.

After WW2 the world was essentially America's oyster. While the rest of the developed world lay in ruins, America alone stood unscathed, totally unmatched by any other nation on the Earth, producing an astounding ONE HALF of the world's manufactured goods. Ready to take up the reins of an unparalleled global superpower, and what did our glorious leaders do with that newfound preeminence? Did they lead by example and show the world the superiority of the American experiment? Did they embody the Empire of Liberty that Jefferson foretold?

No.

Without missing a step they made an unholy union with the defense contractors and perpetuated a climate of fear and launched a crusade against communism for the sake of enriching the Military Industrial Complex. They sold out the country to the arms manufacturers to win some campaign funding. They steadily perverted the image of America as a shining beacon of enlightenment built on universal values in exchange for political aggrandizement. And when the iron curtain finally came tumbling down and the phantom menace of Communism vanished our glorious leaders embarked us on a new crusade against Terrorism in order to keep the gravy train rolling.

WW2 was a plastic juncture in history. In those moments the foundations of the past buckled and the possibility for something greater to be built was within reach. That opportunity was lost to the shortsightedness of our predecessors. I fear Humanity may not survive the next one.
>>
>>25831445
Well, I agree with you that our government now operates like a business, but that's in part because it's NOT the source of money as it should be. The Federal Reserve makes and loans money to the government and our government incurs debt as a result. Citizens are taxed to pay this debt back, but for every $1 our government is loaned, we owe $2 back to the FED. But how are we supposed to pay it all back? It's impossible, the whole thing's a ponzi scheme. Our government was bought a long time ago when it gave up the ability to create it's own money.

This isn't going to change unless the whole system collapses, but there won't be any justice as a result. The wealthiest people will be safe and unknown while the rest of the country goes through turmoil.

The best one can good in this society is try to make enough money so you can live comfortably and enjoy your life. How much money you need to do that depends on what you want. Just don't get caught up in debt yourself or you'll be working your whole life to pay it off.
>>
>>25837411
The Federal Reserve is a government-sponsored enterprise; it was created by statute, its leadership is federally-appointed, and at the end of the day it still has to answer to Congress and the president.

Treasury's debt to the Fed is an elaborate fiction that doesn't exist to fleece the government or the American people, but to keep people from freaking out about how money is created from nothing on a regular basis. The real problem is that popular economics says that money shouldn't be made from nothing, so the fiction is necessary and everyone thinks that taxes fund the government. But the drawback is that the federal budget is talked about as though it were a corporate balance sheet, so nothing really useful gets done and unacceptably high un/underemployment ensues.
>>
>>25837411
>>25837510
Well the idea is that you have to have an agency with at least some independence from elected officials in charge of the money supply. If the government itself handles that, you get Zimbabwe: The government prints as much as it has to to do whatever it wants, and the currency rapidly becomes worthless.
>>
>>25831154
>Unions - organisations responsible for protecting the rights and welfare of workers arranged for unskilled labour to be shipped over seas, thus decreasing the value of labour and causing problems for workers

Are you actually retarded?
>>
Yes, they believed that the world was going to face armegedon from nuclear annihilation so they overspent their limits and accumulated all this debt that passed on to our generation
>>
>>25837548
But that's part of the fiction. The Fed has to change the money supply in accordance with the Treasury debt supply to maintain a stable fed funds rate, so really the money supply is driven by the federal deficit. As for Zimbabwe, hyperinflation typically comes from major economic shocks, not from monetary effects, and in that country things started spiraling out of control after an agricultural collapse, due to Mugabe giving the arable land to his cronies.
>>
>>25837565
he's retarded if he thinks they did that intentionally. But unionization certainly did create a powerful incentive for companies to find substitutes for the labor they had made much more expensive - which could mean either automation or just shifting the task to some area where the unions are weak or absent. There's a reason why every foreign carmaker to build a US factory has built it in right-to-work states in the south and not in the rustbelt states where the UAW was/is strong.
>>
>>25830167
I'm an undergrad at Columbia University and I'm paying no tuition - even though my family makes 200k+ combined.

Hide your assets and free tuition could be yours too. All I pay for is room+board and food costs.
>>
>>25837877
>room+board and food costs
So, like 20k per year?
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.