[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is it possible that alcoholics in media are cool buff guys

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: Max-Payne-3-review-main-940x500.jpg (110KB, 940x500px) Image search: [Google]
Max-Payne-3-review-main-940x500.jpg
110KB, 940x500px
How is it possible that alcoholics in media are cool buff guys while in reality most alcoholics would be mostly unfit slob like looking losers?
>>
>>25788760
Just another addiction that's been wrongfully romanticized.

Should I go buy another bottle of bourbon?
>>
Villain alcoholics are usually portrayed as pure trash while hero alcoholics are usually portrayed as just struggling with their addiction.
>>
A hold over from when alcoholism was associated with masculinity, which it was, very unambiguously, at least in the US from the 19th century onward. Ever seen how they drink in Mad Men? That was pretty representative of how american men used to think about drinking; it used to be macho.

I'd also argue that while the drinking culture is dying quickly in the middle class and richer, it's still alive and well among blue collar men.
>>
>>25788849

Blue collar/everyday layman drinking would look nothing like you see on TV about romanticized alcoholics. It will probably end up in a total mess and not you sitting in a chair with a whiskey, wearing a fancy suite, while tipping your fedora or something.
>>
>>25788921
>Blue collar/everyday layman drinking would look nothing like you see on TV about romanticized alcoholics.

It's not. It's just a shitload of drink over a period of hours in front of the tv punctuated by a lot of burping.
>>
File: 87.jpg (34KB, 605x605px) Image search: [Google]
87.jpg
34KB, 605x605px
>be kid
>tv shows lots of cool and rugged guys who chug a bottle of jack like its coca cola
>think how awesome it would be to be just like that
>tfw grew up being just like that
>tfw it's not cool or fun at all
>>
There is no way you can be a drink and still in shape. If you are always drunk you can't exercise, and drinking causes you to eat more.

You can, however, enjoy a few shots of whiskey like every other night.
>>
Because the Jew wants to keep you drunk and weak and obedient. They make drinking look cool and manly and try not to show the reality of what you are in for when you are a pathetic 40 year old drunk that looks like walking death.
>>
>>25789126
>8 posts

Took your time, /pol/
>>
>>25789027
That only happens with shitty beer
>>
>>25789165
It happens with excessive alcohol, even moreso with beer or soda mixers.
>>
File: true-detective-skip-crop.jpg (415KB, 680x1022px) Image search: [Google]
true-detective-skip-crop.jpg
415KB, 680x1022px
>>25788760
Since men showing any kind of weakness is considered gay, the only easy way to show a man struggles with emotional problems is to make him an alcoholic. Bonus points if he is violent (if he is a villain towards he is violent towards weaker people, if hero he is violent against equal or stronger people).
>>
>>25789150
Shut the fuck up and go back to reddit. /pol/ is the embodiment of this website. it's /b/ 2.0 you pathetic loser. if you're still holding the opinion that pol is 'rayciss' then you're an easily offended reddit cuck with no perspective. I don't like pol either but whenever fuckers like you who have no business being here I'm reminded of how much you seek to ruin day to day life from people who just want to be left alone.

go build a cuck shed. pussy
>>
>>25789104
you can defo be an alcoholic and still be in good shape. i am that
>>
>>25789282
how much do you drink, and how often, and for how long?
>>
>>25788921
>Blue collar/everyday layman drinking would look nothing like you see on TV about romanticized alcoholics.
Ya, but my point was that the reason why alcoholics are portrayed as cool is that alcoholism is associated with masculinity in a certain strain of our culture, that being a sort of hold over from the past.

I'd also add that masculinity is associated with blue collar people in general, and that the masculinity = blue collar + alcoholic thing gets stronger as a result.

As for why it doesn't look exactly like it .... I dunno that's a stupid quibble seeing as nothing in media actually looks like real life anyway.
>>
>>25788760
I'm an alcoholic. I run 3 times a week, do a lot of push ups and pull ups. Still drink fucking constantly. Look in shape but would hate to see my insides.
>>
>tfw you want to look cool drinking whiskey neat like in the movies, but you fucking hate the taste
>>
>>25789413
I think you'll get used to it after a while and after even more drinking you'll start to like it.
The ones who like it often drank to get drunk in the beginning and then they get older and can buy more expensive whiskey and start drinking it for the taste.
>>
>>25788787
> Just another addiction that's been wrongfully romanticized
this

i used to think if i was depressed then everyone would think i was cool and id get tons of sympathy. now i realize no one actually cares, and instead of sympathy you get people telling you to man up and get frustrated with you, and you realize how alone you are because no one is even there for you when you need it

bad times desu
>>
>>25788760
But max isn't a cool buff guy. He is old balding full of remorse and regret running from his past and realize the only thing he truly is goid at is killing and he hates that
>>
>>25788849
>'d also argue that while the drinking culture is dying quickly in the middle class and richer

I very much disagree, craft beer has become a very big thing in America
>>
>>25789413

A good trick is to just use soda water (seltzer water as called in some places) and then just slowly use less and less.

It also has the bonus of still being a better mixer than plebshit like cola (or dry ginger ale, slightly less pleb).

Also add lime if required, Winston Churchill used to drink his cheap whisky with lime.
>>
>>25788760
Alcohol kills testosterone production.
>>
>>25789300
I drink at least 1 liter of 5.2% beer every day. How fucked am I?
>>
>>25789277
Calm down /pol/, nobody wants you here.
>>
>>25789734
Calm your tits. you're being a faggot and if you have to ask a question like that because you're an indecisive bitch then quit. simple as that.
>>
>>25789734
That's fucking nothing man, you're not an alcoholic your somebody who enjoys a few beers.... I'm on like day 4 of being sober, but us drink more than 7L of 5% every day... 1L is like 3 fucking beers
>>
>>25789662
Media should really stop lying about this to people.

No one wants to deal with depression, even your actual friends will leave you eventually.
>>
File: 1451948666975.jpg (28KB, 450x596px) Image search: [Google]
1451948666975.jpg
28KB, 450x596px
Alcoholism is romanticized too much. Same with any addiction. Nothing cool about deluding yourself to be happy while browsing 4chan, or making an ass of yourself on the odd chance you're invited out. Welcome to my life.
>>
File: 1443366282775.jpg (30KB, 601x695px) Image search: [Google]
1443366282775.jpg
30KB, 601x695px
>>25789084
It's cool when you're a teenager. Then you realise everybody thinks it's childish. But it's so nice. Fucking stupid body rejects it I can harldy manage eating food without feeling sick because of some event that destroyed my body. I miss it I might be able to drink it again one day.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.