[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is being good at chess a good way to attract women?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: Chess-Photo-2-1024x680.jpg (225KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
Chess-Photo-2-1024x680.jpg
225KB, 1024x680px
Is being good at chess a good way to attract women?
>>
Nice trips but no, it doesn't matter what your hobbies are.
>>
>women
Rancid swine
>>
>>25753590
It does if they're artistic 2bh.
>>
>>25753555
maybe if you are good enough to become famous or financially stable
>>
if you're attractive, it'll make you seem very intelligent and maybe even mysterious
if you're unattractive, you're just a nerd
>>
The queen is a fucking broken piece of shit.Nerf when?
>>
>>25753630
As with most things in life.
>>
>>25753630
I'm not even sure that's true 2bh. Girls seem pretty universally turned off by logical/analytical intelligence if it's used for anything but making money (I think they also don't get exactly appreciate how autistic a lot of guys - even socially successful ones - are when it comes to developing their social skills also, e.g. sharing pickup techniques is really just pattern finding and logic).
>>
>>25753640
Don't you know that the queen is indispensable? It IS the game. Eveything else is just an annoying blockade.
>>
>>25753555
I love that the white king is the whitest piece on the board.
>>
>>25753555

No.

/thread

original comment
>>
>>25753630
This, as with pretty much everything else
>>
>>25753555
No, but it is a good hobby, and you could meet girls through it.
>>
>>25754036
Whats good about it?
>>
>>25753619
Can confirm. Am writer / poet, girls REALLY dig it
>>
>>25753555
If only opening up to a woman was as easy as the opening moves in a chess game...
>>
>>25753555
I wouldn't say I'm any good really but more than once I've used 'I can teach you to play' to get a lassie to come back to mine or for me to get into her place
>>
I have been playing chess for the last 10 years as a not serious contender. I have not read a single book on chess. I reached the point of my skill that I cannot improve any further without reading books. You can play against a grandmaster computer but that gets boring as shit. I have done it hundreds of times in a row and you don't really learn anything. It's a fun game when you play with other players that are your same skill level, but not expect to improve by just playing games.

Chess is not a logical game. It's an autistic memorizing game. The only way to move upwards, is to memorize EVERY SINGLE FUCKING GAME that has happened with grandmasters. I do not recommend this game to anyone unless you want to spend more time reading games than actually playing it. Of course you can not give a fuck playing but then you're just a filthy casual.
>>
>>25754493
i think thats why magnus carlsen is so good, his memory is insane
>>
>>25754493
you gotta check out chess960 friend, your frustrations will end
>>
>>25754565

Looked at it, and while it's interesting, I feel it's iffy because I would have to lose an old friend to replace for a new one.

The issue with Chess960 is that it is not popular enough for people to play with. However, I'll get my former chess teacher 6 years ago to play with me and see if he would like it.

tl;dr thanks for the response and I'll try it on Saturday.
>>
How the fuck does anyone get good at chess? I play against the computer on medium settings and it ends in a fucking draw because we each take each others pieces equally.

How do you get to take a piece without losing one?
>>
File: MardiGras.jpg (220KB, 575x431px) Image search: [Google]
MardiGras.jpg
220KB, 575x431px
>>25753555

>thinking you can impress women with superior intelligence or cleverness

this isn't a disney movie bro... this is the real world
>>
No. Get good at some obscure shit like Ancient Roman board games.
>>
>>25754818
It's not about taking a piece without losing one. It's about calculating your sacrifices so you come out on top. Chess takes a really long time to be good at.
>>
No not at all. Why would it? To a non chess girl being shitty at chess and being really fucking good at chess would be basically the same thing and getting real good takes years of dedication. Chess girls probably don't actually care how good you are but good luck meeting any at all.
>>
>>25753555
I literally rape my gf at chess. I lose at most 3 pieces before I beat her. She's not dumb since she got into a doctorate program right out of undergrad. Women don't know dick about chess.
>>
>>25754825
This. Women, for some reason, don't seem to find intelligence beyond average attractive. Maybe they are intimidated or feel threatened?

/thread
>>
File: your all a buncha degenerates.png (608KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
your all a buncha degenerates.png
608KB, 720x960px
>>25753555
>black guy is playing black

I like this.

Also nice trips. Chess is really fun. But I personally like Go___
>>
Not if your a nigger.
>>25753838
No it isn't. A king and queen will lose.
>>
>>25753555
I can tell by position in pic how it started.
1.e4 e5
2.Nf3 Nc6
3.Nc3 Bb4
4.Nd5
But why is white Bishop on c4 and the black (kek) are to play now.

Something no yes in this position
>>
>>25754956
>Go
Fuck off weeaboo.
>>
Why do I see so many titled players online playing/streaming bullet for hours on end? Shouldn't someone at that level have better uses of their time?
>>
>>25754909
That's not true at all. They definitely do. they just care about when it's expressed in things like social skills or artistic creativity and not autism symptoms like chess or STEM
>>
>>25755174
>titled

What elo? any of them from >2700 elo?

Peopl with FM and lower like 2300-2400 are often normal people that have normal job and play some shitting games for relax instead of shitposting
>>
>>25753555
OP i dont think you understand, the only way to attract women is to be a 10/10 Chad. It dosnt matter what hobbies you have at all. If a 300 pound robot won a surfing competition women wouldn't care because he isn't Chad. But if Chad were to say his hobbies were shitposting on r9k, women would find that extremely interesting.
>>
>>25755072
Hey I just like classical boardgames and go is REALLY /math/.

There's more weebly games I could be playing like shogi but I don't like that one.
>>
>>25753838
I always trade/force the enemy to trade queens, even though I'm a decent player who could utilize the queen really well. The queen just makes things so much more complicated, it's insane.
>>
File: fen.jpg (34KB, 736x256px) Image search: [Google]
fen.jpg
34KB, 736x256px
>>25754909
Pic related,
>theoretical physic
>noble prize
>participate in the Manhattan Project at age of 24!

hot uni grills whole life
>>
>>25754772
try lichess.org and make public unranked Chess960 games. They fill up rather quickly.
>>
>>25754818
I'm >>25754493, I was never particularly good at chess, but you have to recognize your mistakes. For the first 3 years of my chess career, I did nothing but lose. I kept playing higher leveled players and then eventually got really good(I always ranked middle in tournaments because I wasn't really good in my prepubescent years.)

Here are good rules to abide by.

1. Develop your pieces. Pieces that aren't developed are useless.
2. Take control of the center meaning the most middle 4 squares at the center of the board.
3. See why your opponent makes moves. If you are able to figure out what your opponent is doing, you can avoid it or counter it.
4. Look for weaknesses in the enemy's spot.
5. Realize that chess like anything, takes fucking forever to get good at unless you're a prodigy which you're not.
6. Play for fun. Because stressing over a board game ruins the purpose of playing board games.

>>25755174
When you get really good at chess, that's the only thing you do because you give up all your desires to endlessly grind chess to be better at it.
>>
>>25753555
women can't even understand chess

also checkedy checked check checked
>>
>>25754863
Not it is isn't. It's about checkmating the king. Some mates involve great sacrifices.
>>
I once made out with a girl after talking about chess. I managed to do it because I looked good that night, I suck at chess.
>>
>>25754909
Just american women are like that
>>
>>25753555
You would have to be so good at it you earn your living through it and are semi-famous because of it.

Even then, Magnus Carlsen isn't exactly drowning in pussy.
>>
>>25754565
>not calling it Fischer Random

FUCKING NORMO
>>
File: kosteniuk40[1].jpg (39KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
kosteniuk40[1].jpg
39KB, 333x500px
>>25754036
> and you could meet girls through it.

Note: only slavic girls.

Not necessarily a bad thing tho.
>>
>>25754493
>I have been playing chess for the last 10 years as a not serious contender.
>I have not read a single book on chess.

lol what a maroon. Maybe if you actually picked up a book or two you'd realize that memorization is only the beginning of chess. Knowing the openings is the equivalent of knowing how to do the special and super moves in a fighting game.
>>
>>25754818
Play humans online, and read a book or two.
>>
>>25755345

>saw it in a jpg
>must be true
>>
File: 175 KB.png (175KB, 488x473px) Image search: [Google]
175 KB.png
175KB, 488x473px
>playing chess on my fine antique wooden chess board
>playing with fine antique wooden pieces with no felting

>opponent makes a move
>doesn't pick up their piece, pushes from square to square
>"scrrrrrrcchhhhhhhhct"
>>
>>25755786

It's not just openings, it's also endings, mid-games and other tips from chess masters. My point is that to be good at this game, you need to churn unnecessary effort to compete with other players who churned out unnecessary effort. when I first started playing, I thought chess was the ultimate demonstration in logic. Instead what I got is endless studying of the game to be considered a mediocre player.

Maybe I don't want to memorize a bunch of games for the rest of my life, so then I can play games similar to the ones I memorized. What I wanted is a game where both of us accumulated enough individual experience to see who can outwit the other while catching mistakes.

When Bobby Fischer's modification of Shufflechess led to Chess960, he felt that the current game's nature had too much intense memorization and didn't use any creativity or innovation. Which is what I'm going to play from now on.
>>
>>25756260
go play backgammon or go then faggot
>>
>>25755872
You are a fucking dummy, Feynman relations with women are well known. Why would you write this shit instead of doing some reschearch? You fucking idiot?

He had 2 wifes, he was doing his female students, when he was sad he was spending his time in brothel and fucking prostitutes.

You could spend 1minute on google, but no instead you wrote this dumb shit for fuck sake.

This is what is wrong with this board you sad cunts.
>>
>>25756260
You are wrong, its full logic, you have to learn basic contempt of how to play in endgame, like what is opposition. There are 30move theoritical endgames, but there is really small chance that you will have to play it. Like there is really small chance that you will end up with knight and bishop.

Even current world champion Carlsen is known of playing weird moves whitch often are critized by chess engines, so he can skip all theory preparation of his opponent.

But you are porbably 1200 elo. You can get to 2300 elo without need of memorization of openings.
>>
>>25754565
If you're willing to play a different game, you might as well play Arimaa, which is playable on a chess board and even more fun than Chess960.
>>
File: 1452818776407.jpg (119KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1452818776407.jpg
119KB, 1024x1024px
>>25755872
I am sorry anon, that was uncalled for>>25757031
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.