[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You Too Can Get Fit

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 18

File: Nick's Fitness Guide for r9k.png (689KB, 3664x2552px) Image search: [Google]
Nick's Fitness Guide for r9k.png
689KB, 3664x2552px
This is a thread for people who don't work out at all and don't know what a calorie is. I'm here for you. If you're a beginner, I'm here for you too. (Even if you're advanced, I'll try to help.)

Keep in mind:
>the email I gave before doesn't allow me to respond! I'm not ignoring you.
>I'm aware that one of you posted my DB program on /fit/ and they shat on it (I'm currently looking into this, but don't worry, doing that DB program is 1000 times better than not doing jack) which is interesting because I got that program from /fit/, after they disliked another program.
>the guide in pic related is enough to get you started on your way

If you're 100% against getting fit, then you're the person I am most here for. Talk to me.
>>
File: lose-gain-maintain-weight.png (71KB, 698x749px) Image search: [Google]
lose-gain-maintain-weight.png
71KB, 698x749px
How to lose weight.
>>
File: cardio.gif (137KB, 1288x2588px) Image search: [Google]
cardio.gif
137KB, 1288x2588px
Running.

>not advised if you have knee pains
>not advised if you are too fat
>in case of knee pains or "bad knees", talk to me, it may have a simple solution
>>
thanks, anon

any good home excercises for the back?

even though I am skinny and got muscles, my stomach is always like I am pregnant if I don't suck it in. When I do, my abs show. What do?
>>
File: how to lose weight.png (77KB, 1303x852px) Image search: [Google]
how to lose weight.png
77KB, 1303x852px
>>25746331
>any good home excercises for the back?

Rows.

>
even though I am skinny and got muscles, my stomach is always like I am pregnant if I don't suck it in. When I do, my abs show. What do?

Skinny fat. Lose fat, eat less calories.
>>
>>25745845
Are there really people too retarded not to figure this out?
>>
>>25746474

Yes. Way more than you think. Some even come arguing in my threads. They think calories are like a nutrient.
>>
>>25745836
How much are gym shills paid?
>>
>>25746456

been running for couple years, trying, man
>>
>>25746504

I don't know. Too much, probably.

>>25746549

Good. Do you count your calories? What's your goal?
>>
>>25745836
Reminder: exercise doesn't fix autism or depression, it only makes normies like you more due to the halo effect, which just makes you hate them even more.

t. sperg that got fit
>>
>>25746584
>Reminder: exercise doesn't fix autism or depression,

This is false. It will radically help with depression, and "autism" is an excuse. Some umbrella bullshit you hide behind. I know, I've worked with plenty of Aspies, and I'm not convinced you're one just because you say so.

So yes, it can help with both.

>normies

Stop using that word, it makes you sound like a Scientologist.

>got fit

And then? The ride never ends, don't just "stop".
>>
>tfw doing convict conditioning and couch to5k on my off days

I just want to have a body that's flexible with a moderate amount of strength. Am I on the right path?
>>
>>25746657

Better off using free weights for strength; bodyweights are fine but will take longer.

I don't know about couch to5k. If it's about flexibility, then it's fine too.
>>
Hey, Nick, I'm the guy from the other day who was saying you can't change your face and that I was going to get plastic surgery

I was drunk and very rude to you. I know you're just trying to help. Sorry, Nick.
>>
>>25746712

It didn't even occur to me that you might have been drunk.

It's all right, don't worry. :)
>>
>>25746635
>This is false. It will radically help with depression
This is a meme. At most, it'll help distract normies who are sad. Working out doesn't make existence not shit.

>Stop using that word, it makes you sound like a Scientologist.
NORMIES
NORMIES
FUCKING NORMIES
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>And then? The ride never ends, don't just "stop".
Addict.
>>
>>25746742
>This is a meme.

It's not a meme. If I had started during my own dark days of deep depression, it would have helped, a lot. It would have given me something to focus on which wasn't everyday life failures or routine at work/uni.

You keep that normie/me division to justify and excuse everything you want. I'm not neurotypical, I can tell you that much, but I'd sooner eat my own testicles than call anyone a "normie" and use it as an excuse not to make an effort.

>Addict.

No, but you don't just stay fit without maintening that state, which requires efforts too.

>I got fit, then that was it, and so I stopped

Isn't something fit people would ever say.
>>
>>25745836
wow look at that retard,
you come with shit everybody already knows.
and what for?
why the fuck should i get fit?
i hope you dont say to fuck bitches,
because you see at the end of it you will see you have nothing accomplished when you catch you girfriend cheating on you, with me.
>>
>>25746569

I don't but I guess I should, hah. I don't fast food, sweets or drink cola and other shit. Must be something wrong in my diet
>>
>>25746788
>Isn't something fit people would ever say.
You're right, I was in great shape for 5 years, but not anymore. I used to do martial arts, but picked up a lot of injuries, had to stop, and got (somewhat) fat again. I still go to the gym 3x a week and have no problem doing 20 burpees in a row (not impressive, just something fatasses can't do). It's just in the grand scheme of things I found that being fit didn't really help me that much besides giving me a status boost in the eyes of normies (I won't self-censor for the sake of avoiding "cringe" or whatever). If it works for you that's great, but it doesn't work for everyone. For me, nothing was more infuriating than realizing that people only liked being around me because I was good at something and looked nice.
>>
>>25745836
I'm disabled. My muscles suck. How would I get fit?
I'm a skellyton
>>
>>25746968
how are you disabled exactly?
>>
Okay so you've worked with people with Aspergers.
I've an actual diagnosis is there anything that needs to be done differently in terms of fitness.
I'm not over weight but I've pretty little muscle and I've major anxiety over letting people know I'm trying to get fit
>>
>>25746859
>you come with shit everybody already knows.

This isn't true. Not everybody knows this stuff.

>because you see at the end of it you will see you have nothing accomplished when you catch you girfriend cheating on you, with me.

This is funny. My partner would never cheat. We've been together for over 5 years now. She isn't into robots either.

>why the fuck should i get fit?

Assuming you're actually asking the question: health, strength, sanity, self-esteem.
>>
>>25746999
Muscles don't work very well.
>>
>>25746875
>I don't but I guess I should, hah.

if you want to control your weight/fat, then it's mandatory. All the running in the world won't defeat a caloric surplus, by definition.
>>
Hey Nick, I have very bad lower back pains, they come and they go but they're usually really bad (I can barely walk) right after some workouts. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? Will working out my lower back help with this? If so, what exercises do you recommend?
>>
>>25746922
>For me, nothing was more infuriating than realizing that people only liked being around me because I was good at something and looked nice.

Tunnel vision, there's always more to things than just that. There's a lot more wrong with you than fitness alone, as you're aware.

First, stop assuming everyone else is on your level, and stop judging them with standards that are applicable to you alone. If you're going to call them normies, go through with it and actually do consider them as children or inferior, but DO IT for real: that means, stop getting assmad when they behave like the normies you expect them to be. Who gets mad at a baby for not understanding English? Nobody. Get coherent, otherwise it'll be painfully obvious that you just want to be a normie, or want them to be like you. This can't happen, so if you can't overlook that, accept it, but REALLY accept it. Love the normies as they are.

When normies around me proclaim mundane shit I can destroy in 20 minutes by quoting 5 different books, I don't actually do it, and I don't actually hate them for saying dumbshit.
>>
>>25746968

Full body program, start very light. The right weight is described in the guide. You need to eat more, too.
>>
>>25746635
>This is false. It will radically help with depression

WRONG
i bet you're not fit
>>
>>25747024
>I've an actual diagnosis

I've worked with people who officially had Asp and honestly they looked far worse; I was also told by their assistant that their brain was basically rotting, hence "Asperger's", which isn't at all what I know of it. I am seriously skeptical of such professionals.

And no, if you're actually an Aspie, there's nothing that should be different, since it's about your body, not your brain.

Do you have trouble enjoying fictional movies?
>>
File: 1452132422085.jpg (173KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1452132422085.jpg
173KB, 1920x1080px
Will I still get stronger if I eat -500 cals from my daily cals needed while lifting every 2 days?
Im a 240lbs lardass and need to lose fat but I also want to be strong and muscular.
>>
You're doing gods work nick
>>
>>25747146

If you mean they're weak, that isn't a problem. If you mean anything else, see your doctor about it.

>>25747221
>Hey Nick, I have very bad lower back pains, they come and they go but they're usually really bad (I can barely walk) right after some workouts.

You need to stop right away and figure out what's wrong while your back recuperates.

Check form on every exercise you're doing. If you do situps, make sure your don't anchor your feet, because doing so will fuck your lower back as it forces it into two contradictory movements each rep. Maybe this is what's wrong.

Describe your work out.
>>
>>25747301

I do believe that it is common knowledge that exercising delivers the happies to one's brain. I can confirm by personal experience too, in myself and people around me who started working out.

>>25747341

Yes. Muscles need protein, so make sure you get enough of that, and even with a deficit of 500, you'll still get stronger. You have way enough storage fat for your body to take what it needs. Just provide protein and you'll be fine.
>>
File: 1434881467541.jpg (43KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1434881467541.jpg
43KB, 500x375px
>calories in, calories out

epic
>>
File: IMG_1297-copy_zpsd190c3c9.jpg (105KB, 600x421px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1297-copy_zpsd190c3c9.jpg
105KB, 600x421px
>>25747342

>literally switched from talking about Christ to talking about health

I'd love to believe I am.
>>
>>25747370
>I do believe that it is common knowledge that exercising delivers the happies to one's brain. I can confirm by personal experience too, in myself and people around me who started working out.

yeah it may help ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''depressed'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' normies with a bad mood
if you have real depression then it gives a spark in the beggining then everything go back to shit
>>
>>25747387

Are you challenging me? Calories in/out is basically saying that the laws of the universe can be counted on.

Make an actual argument so that I can respond to it.
>>
>sacrificing strengths with steroids

What... The... Fuck? Roids will make you strong as fuck lol.
>>
>>25747416
>if you have real depression then it gives a spark in the beggining then everything go back to shit

I'm not talking about being depressed as in being sad, or in a bad mood. I won't go into details, but I've had "real depression" for a long time and anything resembling a clear program, with clear goals and clear results would have helped. It's only one of the things you can do to get better, but it's worth doing it.

I believe only people who beat depression can actually speak about the best ways to beat it; suggesting that only you has "real depression" will not invalidate the fact that I beat it and you didn't.

Really depressed people, as in clinically depressed people, will try anything.
>>
>>25747346
I've had this pain on and off for about two years. I dance 4-6 days a week and I do a routine that consists of squats, lunges, sit-ups, push-ups and dorsal raises 5 times a week. I also have lordosis.
>>
Nick I'm 300 pounds, if I eat 2000 calories a day and do an hour of cardio and some weights I will see gains yes?
>>
>>25747393
Are you a Christian?
can you be more perfect?
>>
>>25747493
>lordosis.

I heard of ways to cure this, are you doing exercises to help with that?

It's most likely where your pain comes from. Classic exercises are intended for people with normal backs, so to speak.

I'd stop everything and focus solely on curing lordosis, or making it better, and giving your body a rest.

It is a good thing sometimes to stop for a month. Pain like this isn't a good thing. Talk about it with your doctor.
>>
>>25747478
Nick, should I do cardio and lifting at the same time? I am overweight and I am already doing diet. Besides losing weight, I also want to grow some muscles. What do you think it's the best for me?
>>
>>25747521
>Nick I'm 300 pounds, if I eat 2000 calories a day and do an hour of cardio and some weights I will see gains yes?

I need to know your height and weight first.

Cardio won't make gains. You need to lift to get more strength (more muscles).

>>25747531

The state of my faith is far from perfect, unfortunately. I work for the Church as part of my job, so there's that, and I chose that job because of my faith, but it's an uneven journey and it's very dear to my heart.
>>
>>25747578
I'm 6'2, I want to not be such a fatass
>>
>>25747546
No, because I have been told that it wouldn't bring me any problems and it makes me have a nice butt but I'll work on it now. Thank you and have a nice day.
>>
>>25747558
>Nick, should I do cardio and lifting at the same time?

No, but you can do cardio on rest days.

> I am overweight and I am already doing diet. Besides losing weight, I also want to grow some muscles. What do you think it's the best for me?

Depending on your knees, I'd consider swimming or running. Don't run if you're very obese and get knee pains, swim instead. Learn to swim for real first, as in a coach or shitloads of tutorials on YouTube (I learned that way).

It depends on what you want: what's the main priority? Losing fat or getting strong? Or neither? You can do both. I'd advise eating at a deficit anyway, and lifting primarily.

The reason is this: it's easier not to eat 500kcal than to burn them. It is possible to focus solely on lifting for now and gain strength and lose weight.

That's my advice, don't overbook yourself with too much to do.

I no longer recommend my DB program because some have voiced doubts that it is good in terms of muscular balance, so I am researching that stuff until I find a sufficient answer, after which I will either give my DB program again or correct it, or recommend something else.

But you can go SS/SL with a barbell no problem.
>>
>>25747614

I need your weight too, if I am to calculate your approximate BMR.

>>25747651

All right, it may be unrelated, I don't know, but consider it. Exercises against lordosis are mostly flexibility exercises and such. You're welcome.
>>
>>25747578
Okay, you're perfect. It doesn't matter that the state of your faith is not perfect as long as you're trying to improve.
>>
>>25747683
6'2, 300 pounds. pretty sedentary at work too
>>
>>25747704
>Okay, you're perfect. It doesn't matter that the state of your faith is not perfect as long as you're trying to improve.

You flatter me. I am trying to improve and help others to improve. All that's left of my faith is this, basically. And hope.

>>25747706

Your BMR, if you're around 25 yo, is close to 2500kcal, which means that 2000kcal would indeed be enough to lose weight. For now. Make sure to change it as you change. If you lose a lot, you'll have to go even lower.

Working out isn't mandatory to lose fat, you don't even have to think about it now. I advise to start slowly to ensure that you stick to the small steps you take.
>>
>>25747776
so far ive been biking for about an hour a day which has been helping a lot, mood has improved greatly since I started it
>>
>>25747818
>so far ive been biking for about an hour a day which has been helping a lot, mood has improved greatly since I started it

Excellent! Enjoying what you do is key to being able to continue. Consider this a great success, it is.

Definitely keep that up. Doing this and the calories, you will see results on a weekly basis.
>>
>>25747776
Faith is quite a journey, I wish you the best. The patience and the passion for helping others that you have shown in these threads say a lot about you and they will get you far.
>>
>>25747665
Thank you, I want both. I will start doing that. Can you tell me how much calories I should take daily? To lose fat and lift.
>>
Not in the mood for self improvements today,

Hurt my knees doing RDLs somehow (trying to work on hamstring glute isolation so I don't wreck my back on dead-lifts).

Anyway just wanted to stop by to thank you for these threads, it's nice to have some constructive positivity here.

/
>>
>>25747932
>Faith is quite a journey, I wish you the best. The patience and the passion for helping others that you have shown in these threads say a lot about you and they will get you far.

Thank you for these words. Truly.

>>25747967

To lose fat, eat 500kcal less than your BMR.

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

As for the rest, make sure you eat around 1 gram of protein for 1 kilo of your body (no need to count, just eat enough meat, eggs, beans, and stuff that has protein).

That will be enough to both lose fat and gain muscle.
>>
>>25748027
>Hurt my knees doing RDLs somehow (trying to work on hamstring glute isolation so I don't wreck my back on dead-lifts).

Not sure, but that's possibly the worst you could do for your knees.

If you experience knee pain when you use them, typically deadlift, then you are like me. I'm also having to prepare for future BB deadlifts and squats because my knees are fucked. I can't even run without getting seriously hurt.

Here's the potential problem: if you can't touch your toes, feet together, legs straight, then your hamstrings are too short. What this does is it forces your kneecaps against other bones, and that causes wear, and pain.

To remedy this, if that's the problem, you need to increase hamstrings flexibility.

1. put leg on small table or chair, both legs straight, hold where it is uncomfortable but not painful, 1 minute each leg

2. stand up, spread to the side, max, hold, swing left and right with your arms along the leg

3. sit, sole to sole, push thighs down, hold
>>
>>25748044
You're welcome.

This is original.
>>
>>25748157
thanks for the head up, will work on flexibility before returning to rdls.

what are some safer hamstring exercises, lunges?

I have no equipment aside from a barbell and dumbbells atm.
>>
>>25748157
Is it better to do cardio based on sets or I just do it until I cant handle anymore?
>>
where's a good place to get gear so i can be as natty as nattygraham4
>>
>>25748263
>what are some safer hamstring exercises, lunges?

The ones I gave you are safe, it's only flexibility, and it's what you probably need for now. I'd abstain from squats and such until your knees are fine. You can do some sumo squats when you feel better, but even then, don't abuse it. I do 3 sets of 5 or about nowadays, but no more, because I already feel it in my knees.

Treat those knees gently, and work on being flexible in your hamstrings, that's the main thing here. You will destroy your knees if you aren't flexible enough.

Count a few months to get results.
>>
>>25748332
>Is it better to do cardio based on sets or I just do it until I cant handle anymore?

See

>>25745858

And remember: cardio must be done at a pace where you can actually talk. So whenever you get winded, you walk, or stop, and start again.
>>
>>25748359
>gear

Not even once.
>>
Fuck off back to /fit/, no one needs this useless advice when the sticky has everything you need anyways.
>>
>>25748515
>Fuck off back to /fit/, no one needs this useless advice when the sticky has everything you need anyways.

1. the sticky doesn't have everything
2. not everyone here will go check /fit/
3. the sticky isn't a person

The sticky knows nothing of short hamstrings causing knee pains and such. Life is more complicated than saying "Google it" or "read the sticky".

Besides, if you think /fit/ is about fitness, you haven't been there in a long time.
>>
I WILL gain 30 pounds this year
>>
>>25748799

>pistachios
>nuts of all kinds
>whole milk
>on top of your normal diet
>>
I can't do push ups, not even a single one.

You obviously don't know me, but what do you think the reason for this is? Poor technique? I'm not muscular, at all, but I'm pretty sure even the biggest nerd out there can do a single push up without a problem.
>>
>>25748887
with frozen food, oatmeal shakes, and dairy products
>>
>>25749239
>I can't do push ups, not even a single one.

Absolutely normal. Most people can't do one either.

>You obviously don't know me, but what do you think the reason for this is?

Very simply lack of strength.

>I'm not muscular, at all, but I'm pretty sure even the biggest nerd out there can do a single push up without a problem.

And you're wrong. Most people think everyone can do one pushup, so most people lie about it. If you never train strength in any way, you won't be able to do a pushup.

Don't start with pushups, do simpler ones, from your knees, if you can. If you can't, do them against a table, or the bath tub. If you can't, against the wall.

Good form = arms bend at a 45 angle to your body. Hands should be slightly under nipple level.
>>
>>25749239
>I can't do push ups, not even a single one.

how is that even possible
>>
>>25749524

Don't be a moron, it's very common. I recall a time when I couldn't either.

It depends on your weight a lot.

>be me
>16
>55 kilos
>can do 30 pushups

>be me
>25
>80 kilos
>can't do a single one

It varies a lot. Ten years after, I'm growing more strength and can do real pushups again.
>>
Hi nick first off i wanted to say what you're doing i gr8 and ive been stuggling with motivation recently to get fit and this post is gonna help me get my goals sorted and my journey begins.

I'm 18 and a skinny fat at 5 foot 8 and 154lbs. I used to be rather fit when i was on the soccer team with a 19 minute 4km and i could do 9 pullups at my best. Over the last year I've become sedentary and can barely do a pullup. I want to gain muscle mass but lose fat (i have a fuckton of belly fat, esp for my weight ans bmi). Is the best thing to just lift with protein and eat at a calorie deficient?
>>
Hey Nick, ambassador of Zyzz, Anon here.
I get it, calories come and go. I'm a skeleton lord because I don't know how to eat properly.

How does a 'normal diet' look to you? What do you eat?
>>
>>25749734
>Is the best thing to just lift with protein and eat at a calorie deficient?

Pretty much this, yes.

Save/read the guide for more, but yes, that's the idea.
>>
>>25749755
>How does a 'normal diet' look to you? What do you eat?

I may not be the best example, because I'm the sort of guy who understands that enjoying what you do is an important component of whatever you do.

Me? I count my calories, and I sometimes fuck up. On purpose.

The main thing is to eat varied things. Everything you eat has calories, virtually, and you just need a bit of everything. Anything goes if it's natural and not processed, and is under your calorie count.

You, however, might need to eat more than usual. Eat pistachios, 100g of them is over 500kcal, 400kcal of pistachios would be over my daily limit, to show you.
>>
Getting fit didn't make me taller, better looking or make my dick bigger
Still depressed and suicidal
Except now I'm just bigger
Yay...
>>
>>25749875

Here's my feeling: you are the same guy who's been posting similar comments since the beginning; you aren't actually fit and never considered getting fit, but the idea of it upsets you to the point where you feel urged to come here and post this stuff.

You wanted my attention, now you have it. What do you have to say for yourself?
>>
>>25749841
eating 100g pistachios a day will kill you from vitamin E poisoning. I'm asking you about proper food, the kind you'd cook on a stove and I'm asking you this because I surely don't eat varied enough things.

Give me just your top 3 foods that you also consider healthy.
>>
>>25749940
Dude I was a Neet for 2 years and did nothing but workout.

I'm just arguing against you saying getting fit didn't solve any of my problems. You speak in absolutes, yet I'm here to tell you it did nothing for me.
>>
File: 1411340685000.jpg (400KB, 1126x1001px) Image search: [Google]
1411340685000.jpg
400KB, 1126x1001px
>>25749944
>eating 100g pistachios a day will kill you from vitamin E poisoning. I'm asking you about proper food, the kind you'd cook on a stove and I'm asking you this because I surely don't eat varied enough things.

Nuts are healthy, some of the healthiest stuff you can eat. Good fats.

If you want to gain weight, that's one thing, if you want to eat healthy and gain weight, that's another.

My top 3 depends heavily on what I personally like. Everything is healthy if it isn't processed, basically.

>meat: chicken, beef, tuna, salmon
>veggies: beans
>eggs

I eat a lot of all this as my basis, and I add whatever I like.

Pic related may help you more.
>>
>>25749944
>eating 100g pistachios a day will kill you from vitamin E poisoning.

Sauce. Not seeing this anywhere.
>>
>>25750041
>You speak in absolutes

I'm a Sith lord.

If it solved none of your problems, that's because you set out with the wrong goals. It should have done a lot for you. Are you sure you did it correctly? Lots of people spend years doing senseless shit that doesn't work. You wouldn't be the first.
>>
>>25750058
my point was that anything in excess can be harmful. I have a friend that got sick from eating a pack of roasted peanuts a day each day for several months.

I'm asking you this because I have a hard time making a balanced diet. I plan to hit the gym as soon as spring comes but by then I feel I have to put the rest of my life in order. And my diet right now is pure chaos.
So thanks, I guess. Keep giving advice!
>>
>>25750224

If you stick to food that isn't processed, you will be fine, just vary your diet and nothing wrong will happen.

I buy lots of cans as they are cheap and the food in them is natural: beans, white beans, red beans, corn, fruit, etc.

Once you learn basic cooking, you will be all right. It doesn't take long at all and tastes great.

I recommend stews and soups too.
>>
>>25748388
>And remember: cardio must be done at a pace where you can actually talk
Oh fuck I've been doing it wrong?
>>
>>25750364
>Oh fuck I've been doing it wrong?

Yes. Going harder than that makes your body tap into different resources or something. Like, your body would burn more easily available energy, such as what you've just consumed, instead of fat. Maybe even muscle.
>>
>>25745836
Hey Nick,

Im 125lbs and im wanting to get /fit/. I have two problems though

1) I work at a Fast food place and they give us only 15 mins for lunch (if we get a break) and that means only time to order Fast food from that place, how do i maintain or not put on weight from eating this shitty food?

2) I really want to put on some muscle. However all my work outs have left me unable to? It always seems to go to my leg calf and not my arms / chest. My brother is a gym rat and says if i worked out harder i could get swoll like him? Is it just my body type or am i doing something wrong?

Plz help
*a anon wanting to get /fit/*
>>
>>25750547
>1) I work at a Fast food place and they give us only 15 mins for lunch (if we get a break) and that means only time to order Fast food from that place, how do i maintain or not put on weight from eating this shitty food?

Can you not pack a lunch in the morning and bring it with you to work?
>>
>>25750579
No lie,our owner doesnt allow us to do that because of "health concerns". When we do, he doesnt say anything to us but forces us to eat in the back near the dumpster / trash room.
>>
>>25750547
>I work at a Fast food place and they give us only 15 mins for lunch (if we get a break) and that means only time to order Fast food from that place, how do i maintain or not put on weight from eating this shitty food?

Count the calories. It may not be the healthiest, but if you can keep under a certain amount, it'll be OK.

Another solution is simply this: you prepare sandwhiches yourself the previous day, or the morning. A big sandwich filled with natural food doesn't require cooking at lunch, just pull it out, eat..

>>25750547
>2) I really want to put on some muscle. However all my work outs have left me unable to? It always seems to go to my leg calf and not my arms / chest. My brother is a gym rat and says if i worked out harder i could get swoll like him? Is it just my body type or am i doing something wrong?

You need to follow a strength program to get strong. Something like SS, minus the nutritional part, would be fine. If you can increase the weight, then you can increase your strength. Read the guide to understand the basics of it all. It's the best thing you can do right now.
>>
>>25750643
>No lie,our owner doesnt allow us to do that because of "health concerns".

Send anonymous email to someone above him telling them he does this.
>>
>>25745836
Guess I'll ask here since /fit/ is shit.
I'm skinnyfat but only in my stomach area, everywhere else is thin. I've recently lost 9 pounds but my bulge remains and I don't want to lose anymore weight as I'll start getting too thin. What do?
>>
File: strong-lifts-how-to.jpg (178KB, 550x778px) Image search: [Google]
strong-lifts-how-to.jpg
178KB, 550x778px
>>25750769
>I'm skinnyfat but only in my stomach area, everywhere else is thin. I've recently lost 9 pounds but my bulge remains and I don't want to lose anymore weight as I'll start getting too thin. What do?

You're still fat. You need to lose more weight, because that's the only way your belly will lose its fat. It's excess fat all the same. You won't get much thinner anywhere else if you're already thin.

If you don't want to look thin, get stronger.

I suggest to continue losing weight (fat weight) and starting strength. Get thee lifting.

Work Out Tutorials

https://youtu.be/F3QY5vMz_6I?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

https://youtu.be/-4qRntuXBSc?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

https://youtu.be/Dy28eq2PjcM?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

https://youtu.be/rT7DgCr-3pg?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

https://youtu.be/7HRqB30lxmo?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

https://youtu.be/423Ew_DQC40
>>
I'm aware that information on getting fit is readily available. I know that diet and exercise work. I just don't believe I personally am capable of committing to any goal longer than a week before I rationalize it away and give up.
>>
File: kFuiSTC2.jpg (12KB, 240x219px) Image search: [Google]
kFuiSTC2.jpg
12KB, 240x219px
>>25750717

i wanna thank you man, im slowly making progress!
>>
File: example.jpg (187KB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
example.jpg
187KB, 1240x1754px
>>25750837
>I just don't believe I personally am capable of committing to any goal longer than a week before I rationalize it away and give up.

Since you're aware of your own bullshit, you are more likely than others to succeed.

Remember: commitment doesn't need to be perfect. Fuckups along the way are fine. Surprise yourself.

Start simple for a week and keep doing it afterwards. Do only this: count the calories you eat every day.

Nothing else. Do this for a week, see how many you eat, have them written down neatly.

You can also weigh yourself daily and write that down too.

I'm sure you can do this.
>>
I'm 5'7 and 146~lbs. Should I be bulking or cutting? From what I understand you need to be in a calorie surplus to gain muscle, so is there any reason to cut at this point? Should I just eat a lot and work out?

I have a good amount of body fat (chubby cheeks, double chin if I look down, love handles) so I'm not really sure what to do. Also, how the fuck are you supposed to get your daily calorie needs if you eat healthy? Healthy food is really low in calories and you'd have to eat a shit ton to be able to get the same amount of calories as 1 Big Mac.
>>
>>25750914
>From what I understand you need to be in a calorie surplus to gain muscle, so is there any reason to cut at this point? Should I just eat a lot and work out?

Not necessary, you can gain strength and muscle without excess fat.

>>25750914
>I have a good amount of body fat (chubby cheeks, double chin if I look down, love handles) so I'm not really sure what to do

You definitely DON'T bulk. Do not overeat. Undereat.

>Also, how the fuck are you supposed to get your daily calorie needs if you eat healthy?

That doesn't really make sense.

>Healthy food is really low in calories and you'd have to eat a shit ton to be able to get the same amount of calories as 1 Big Mac.

That's not true. Meat is healthy food and very high in calories. A small steak patty is around 200kcal if not 400. Add bread to it and you're around 600 easily. Eat two a day and you're at 1200, add a third and you've reached your max already.

Veggies are low in calories, but even a whole can of beans will be 300kcal or so.

Healthy doesn't mean "just veggies", by all means.
>>
>>25750466
>Like, your body would burn more easily available energy, such as what you've just consumed
That explains why my stomach felt like it was empty even though I had just ate.
That's some good information, thanks.
>>
>>25750964
>Not necessary, you can gain strength and muscle without excess fat.
How does that work if I'm not gaining mass? I'm still a retard when it comes to all of this.

>You definitely DON'T bulk. Do not overeat. Undereat.
So I'll want to lose weight. Okay, how much should I lower my daily calories then? A couple hundred?

>That's not true
Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places then. Most places I've looked at recommend like 6 meals a day, and that's pretty unrealistic in my current living situation.
>>
Hey Nick,

How do you control eating on impulse/binge eating? Also is planet fitness really a bad gym? I have a membership and went for a good 2 months but I stopped going because of personal issues but everyone always shits on it. Should I switch? Money is also a factor why I chose planet fitness in the first place.
>>
>>25750896
>Since you're aware of your own bullshit, you are more likely than others to succeed.
You'd think so, but sadly it doesn't work like that. I've gone to the gym with that reasoning before and it never lasts. I understand it's my fault for not following through or wanting it bad enough or whatever.
>>
>>25751161
>How does that work if I'm not gaining mass?

You can lose fat and gain muscle. Thus, it won't shown on the scale, but the change is for the better. Muscles are built with protein primarily, so as long as you feed your body enough protein, and as long as there's already excess fat, you don't need to overeat.

>>25751161
>So I'll want to lose weight. Okay, how much should I lower my daily calories then? A couple hundred?

400kcal less than your BMR, which you can calculate online.

>>25751161
>. Most places I've looked at recommend like 6 meals a day, and that's pretty unrealistic in my current living situation.

It's a meme. In the grand scheme of things, it makes no difference how many meals a day you eat. 2 meals a day works better for me. 6 small meals would just make me hungry and frustrated and I'd fucking snap.
>>
>>25751233
>How do you control eating on impulse/binge eating?

You analyse why you'd eat this way, and then focus on the fact that it's emotional eating and that you'd be better off dealing with these problems another way. Easier said than done, I know. Giving yourself strict limits will help making food be solely about nutrition and not psychology.

> Also is planet fitness really a bad gym?

I'm Swiss, so hearing about this thing sounds outrageously hilarious and weird to me, but if they have equipment, go for it. If they have free weights, hell yeah. The rest doesn't matter.

If they have dumbbells and barbells and such, just go for it. Nothing else matters.
>>
>>25751318
>400kcal less than your BMR, which you can calculate online.

Do you mean 400 less than the amount when I plug in my BMR (1676.88) into that Harris Benedict equation? I need around 2300-2500 daily, so I'd just bump that down by 400, right? From what I understand BMR is how much calories you need to live if you just sat in bed all day.

Anyway, thanks for all the help senpai
>>
>>25751499
>From what I understand BMR is how much calories you need to live if you just sat in bed all day.

Correct. Take 400 from that and you should lose weight. Adapt accordingly as things aren't always the same for everyone. I needed much less than my calculator suggested.

See how your weight changes or remains the same, or increases, adapt accordingly.

Welcome!
>>
This looks easy and great, I know I could do this, its just that I honestly have 0 motivation. I don't have someone that will keep on my ass and make me follow through this. In order for me to do this I would honestly need a partner. I know I'm letting myself down but its the honest cold truth
>>
So what did /fit/ say about your dumbbell program exactly?
>>
>>25751958
>I don't have someone that will keep on my ass and make me follow through this

You have me. Every time you see my thread, you'll autocheck whether you've been doing your work or not. Expect me.

>>25751958
>In order for me to do this I would honestly need a partner. I know I'm letting myself down but its the honest cold truth

Well, that's solved, pardner.
>>
>>25751958
>implying you need motivation

It helps occasionally but I've been going for 3 weeks without any signs of stopping. You just have to make it part of your routine. It'll eventually turn into a habit and you'll like doing it. Do it no matter what.
>>
>>25746549
I heard biking is better than running, why don't you look into that and invest on a bike?
>>
>>25751967

I'm still inquiring, takes effort to get answers from these homos. Know that my DB program was based on their comments. The main thing I'm concerned with is the muscular imbalance.

It needs more variety, so I'm working on a new program, for which I'll find tutorials and all. By variety, I don't mean more exercises, but more pulling exercises and such. Not easy without pullups.

For beginners, I don't think the program is that bad at all. I've been doing it myself for a while and I am more than fine, but if there's any truth to what the homos say, I want to know ASAP.

I'll keep you updated.
>>
>>25752011

This. Plan as much as possible, leave as little as possible to your willpower, so that when the time comes, you only have to do it. That's what works best. Don't make it like a huge effort every time, just make it part of your day, like brushing your teet.
>>
I really want to get fit, but I'm disabled (hands to be precise. can't do normal push ups for example). Any idea what I should do OP? I thought about running, but there's kind of an psychological barrier with all the people that are staring at me.
>>
>>25752318

You could run in deserted areas. Perhaps you can find weights that get attached to the limbs. I'm sure something exists out there. I don't know much about it myself, though.

I'm sorry that I can't help more.
>>
>>25752392
No problem m8. There aren't many people who can help with stuff like this.

Are attached weights comparable to traditional ones?
>>
>>25752453
>Are attached weights comparable to traditional ones?

Weight is weight, so yes. There has to be contraptions out there that you can attach to yourself and load weight. It's very comparable. You'll work the same muscles with it.
>>
>>25745858
I have bad knees + muscle pain in my groin when I run. I try to do the right technique but it still hurts. What do?
>>
>>25752487
>I have bad knees + muscle pain in my groin when I run

If you know yourself to be severely inflexible, then that's your problem. Hamstrings.

You're gonna have to stretch for months and then the pain will go away.

Flexibility affects a lot more than we think.

>hamstrings so short they force kneecap into bone contact
>may also cause groin pain for another reason
>>
>>25746492
desu senpai if you eat under 2000 calories a day you slowly kill your metabolism. If it was as easy as getting people to only eat one meal or two it would already be done. Losing weight requires not overeating and not under eating and exercise to be efficient.
>>
>>25752479
Okay thanks for your advice. I will look into it when I get home
>>
>>25752551
>desu senpai if you eat under 2000 calories a day you slowly kill your metabolism.

My BMR is around 1700. If I eat more than 1500, I gain weight or stay at the same weight. I need to eat 1200 to have any efficiency.

> If it was as easy as getting people to only eat one meal or two it would already be done.

Hardly. It is that easy, and that hard. I originally lost 8 kilos doing nothing but counting calories and undereating less. No working out.

>>25752565

Welcome.

I have to go soon, guys.
>>
>>25752541
I can press my palm flat against the ground with my legs straight, is that still not flexible enough?
>>
>>25752669
>I can press my palm flat against the ground with my legs straight, is that still not flexible enough?

It ought to be. Can you hold your shin against your hamstrings? Are your quads flexible as well?

There is such a thing as too much flexibility, but it's pretty extreme. Ever seen a doctor about it?
>>
>>25752801
>Can you hold your shin against your hamstrings? Are your quads flexible as well?
Yeah but cannot stretch as comfortably.

>Ever seen a doctor about it?
nope
>>
>>25753047

I'd recommend seeing a specialist to be sure what to do.

Google around, check if you are flexible enough all over.
>>
Do you have any good videos on running form and stretching? I've lost 80 pounds so far and I really want to start running a lot but I can't run for shit still. 181, 5'10 and can barely run a mile in 10 minutes.
>>
File: 1411629463744.jpg (2MB, 2084x4576px) Image search: [Google]
1411629463744.jpg
2MB, 2084x4576px
>>25753382

Unfortunately, I don't. I looked around some stretching ones but found nothing transcendental.

Let me see if I have some stuff in my folder...
>>
File: 1411380058138.jpg (413KB, 1168x1250px) Image search: [Google]
1411380058138.jpg
413KB, 1168x1250px
>>25753466

I hope this helps. Not videos, I know.
>>
I refuse outright to do squats and deadlifts, is there any point in me lifting?

I would be willing to do leg press on a machine
>>
File: 1452723756349.png (1MB, 896x2622px) Image search: [Google]
1452723756349.png
1MB, 896x2622px
>>25753466
>>25753516

Thank you, you're a saint.
>>
>>25745836

I'm a manlet btw, is SS any good? Also, I have two important questions: I have hypermobility, which makes my joints pop out during weight lifting, plus I get back sinus headaches when I run and my left Achilles' tendon hurts like a bitch after a while. What gives?
>>
>>25753563

Welcome!

>>25753569
>I'm a manlet btw, is SS any good?

Yes, SS is one of the confirmed programs.

> I have hypermobility, which makes my joints pop out during weight lifting,

I'd suggest knee braces and such.

> I get back sinus headaches when I run

Pressure tension probably. Not sure what to do about it, but I definitely saw something on the subject.

>my left Achilles' tendon hurts like a bitch after a while

Perhaps flexibility issues. Inflexibility results in joint pains and the likes. Make sure you are flexible, if not, do stretching exercises and get more flexible.

Pictures pertaining to this are posted ITT.
>>
>>25753632

My knees don't pop out, but my wrists, shoulder blades and shoulders do. Is there anything to stop that? And I did a test in high school that showed I was as flexible as the average girl, but that was a long time ago... Maybe I need to work on my flexibility more. Also, thank you for your help.

Do you know anything about martial arts?
>>
>>25753700
>but my wrists, shoulder blades and shoulders do. Is there anything to stop that?

I am pretty sure you can find braces for all these joints too.

>Do you know anything about martial arts?

Apart from a little bit of Judo when I was very young, not really. I have a friend who's pretty good at Kung Fu, though (female friend).

If you have any question I could ask her about it.

And you're welcome. A pleasure for me to help you all.

I must go very soon.
>>
>>25753767

Because I am a manlet, I wanted to try Judo, but I also have thin wrists, which are bad for Judo. Do you or her have anything to say in regards to this, or small people doing martial arts? 5"7 btw.
>>
File: 1411245799326.jpg (68KB, 609x750px) Image search: [Google]
1411245799326.jpg
68KB, 609x750px
>>25753805
>Because I am a manlet, I wanted to try Judo, but I also have thin wrists, which are bad for Judo. Do you or her have anything to say in regards to this, or small people doing martial arts? 5"7 btw.

She's not here yet, but I don't think you should limit yourself based on wrists' girth or height.

Pick the one you like best and do it. I've seen shorter UFC fighters, you know, and they did well.

You can't change your height anyway, so don't limit yourself because of it. 5"7 isn't that short anyway.

I'll ask my friend but I doubt she'll say anything like "Don't, too short."

Never call yourself a manlet again. As a meme, it's ok, but that's all it should be.

I must go sleep now, it's past 1 am.

I will come back!

Take care.
>>
>>25753878

>Never call yourself a manlet again.

I don't, but others do... Maybe they'll be scared to once I get big come on
>>
>>25753878
Nick, how do you feel about carb reduction?

More precisely, I mean watching your calories whilst also cutting carbs to about 30g per day.

I have been told and told and told that doing this makes weight loss go much faster. What's your experience?
>>
File: 1451846488600.jpg (128KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1451846488600.jpg
128KB, 650x650px
Is there anyway to kill your appetite entirely, so that eating at a deficit becomes easy?

Everything else is no problem but I'm hungry all the time, even with plenty of protein and fiber
>>
>>25754310
Eat beans
soups
stew
drink lots of water
>>
>>25754048

Carbs arent bad but they are calorific. Ppl who cut them off just cut off a calorie source. Just count calories and eat what you like. Bread and pasta wont kill you.
>>
>>25750643
Send an email to a higher up, pretend to be a customer and say you saw the poor workers eating at the dumpster
>>
I'm a clumsy as fuck. How do I make sure I don't injure/humiliate myself at a gym?
Thread posts: 151
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.