[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are we here, /r9k/? What's the meaning of life? What's

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (11KB, 280x238px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11KB, 280x238px
Why are we here, /r9k/?
What's the meaning of life? What's the point, just to move on until we croak?
>>
>>25631705

>babbys first existential crisis

Jokes aside, the meaning of life is whatever you set it to be. Bear in mind, my meaning may be different than yours.
>>
The point is to be the best you can be, so when you die and get reincarnated, all your traits, mentality, virtues, will embody your new self
>>
Most people find meaning in their normie-tier social existence. Others find it in their work or passions.

My passion is my writing... not that I'm good at it or know what I'm doing.
>>
File: 1451767569649.png (286KB, 889x592px) Image search: [Google]
1451767569649.png
286KB, 889x592px
>>25631739
>the meaning of life is whatever you set it to be. Bear in mind, my meaning may be different than yours.
So, there is no meaning

>>25631773
What's the point of that?

>>25631783
So the point is to not question?
>>
>>25631843
The point of that is up to you, if you want to remain stagnant in this life and the next that's your choice
>>
>>25631881
I mean, bigger picture. Infinite scale.
What's the point of any life?
>>
>>25631705
I want to drop out of school and watch anime/write for the rest of my life. It probably won't happen. The only time I even approach happiness is when I'm not in school. Choosing the more economic degree over passion was a terrible decision.
>>
>>25631843
If you're asking this question there is a high probability that you see "the matrix" for what it is. That you may not be capable of playing a normie character all day, sticking to a socially approved script. So do something else. Maybe make games or some shit. What interests you?
>>
>>25631991
My point is, that there's no end goal to life. You have a few years on this earth, and you should spend it doing things that you enjoy. As it is, we're by and large forced to work ourselves to the grave, with the small promise of retiring once we're at death's door. If you can find a way to get out of the system, you should do it.
>>
>>25632032
Philosophy, writing, finding the meaning of life.
Shit, I have no idea anymore.
>>
>>25631933

Literally just reproduction. That's it. Animals are meant to fuck to spread their species but we humans were gifted (and cursed) with consciousness so you can carve out your own meaning.

I could hollow out a chopped down tree and make a boat, claiming my purpose is to be Captain Assbeard the Pirate. It's all subjective.
>>
>>25631933
to ascend to a higher being
>>
>>25632437
How? When do we get there?

>>25632300
There's got to be more to existence than subjectivity.
>>
File: virtues.png (198KB, 2196x852px) Image search: [Google]
virtues.png
198KB, 2196x852px
>>25632562
>How
Be virtuous and sin free, something that human beings are capable of but doesn't do
>>
>>25632562

>There's got to be more to existence than subjectivity.

Well there's objectivity but you're not going to find some creatively inspired meaning in a world that's meant to be cold and unforgiving.
>>
File: 1448778108320.png (273KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1448778108320.png
273KB, 450x450px
>>25632605
>ascend to a higher being by conforming to an over 2000 year old code of human ethics
ok
>>
>>25632562
>There's got to be more to existence than subjectivity.
Well you're wrong, there isn't.
>>
the objective literal meaning of life is to reproduce

once you realize that the meaning of life is an oxymoron (living just to live, reproducing just to create more life which is then supposed to reproduce with no deeper end goal in sight) then its obvious that there is no real meaning of life

once you realize that there is no real meaning of life you're free to give it your own meaning, or not. if nothing makes you feel good and you have no passion to focus on and distract yourself until you die, that's fine.

the meaning to my life is to play video games, eat food, masturbate, and do drugs. enjoy my short time in this indifferent universe until I die and return to nonexistence
>>
>>25632709
okay keep being unvirtuous then its clearly working for you and you are at the pinnacle of perfection and happiness
>>
if you could comprehend what infinity really entails then you would know the answer>

our lives are absolutely meaningless. no amount of pain or joy you will ever experience is going to have an impact on what is ahead of your life.
>>
>>25632605
If this was true, how would we even know? How would the information reach us?

>>25632689
Ugh, don't you see how that is problematic?

>>25632726
Lot of people would disagree with you on that

>>25632727
You'll always exist in some form
>>
>>25632738
you're here too bud
>>
if you could comprehend what infinity really entails then you would know the answer>

our lives are absolutely meaningless. no amount of pain or joy you will ever experience is going to have a meaningful impact on what is ahead of life.
>>
>>25632437
Assuming that this is actually real and achievable, what would be the point to that?
>>
>>25632778

>always exist in some form

The atoms that you're made of will always exist. But you, as in your consciousness, will cease to exist when you die. Unless you're religious and I'm not going to begin to argue that.
>>
File: 1452072487616.jpg (105KB, 1040x621px) Image search: [Google]
1452072487616.jpg
105KB, 1040x621px
>>25632778

>Ugh, don't you see how that is problematic?

Not really. Life ain't fair kid, carve your own meaning or be carved by another's meaning. Adapt or perish, that's nature for you.
>>
>>25632933
Your atoms made your consciousness.
What's to say they don't retain some trace of you past this life?

>>25632965
Are those the only options? Urgh
>>
>>25632997

Your consciousness is made from electrons traveling between different structures of your brain and the hormones that your body produces. Without a brain to interpret those signals and without a body to maintain said brain you won't exist.

Think of it this way. You being alive is not the default state. You haven't been a live for the vast amount of time that anything ever has existed. Your life, even if you live to be 100+, is but a fraction of time you've been dead.
>>
>>25632800
What does that have to do with anything? Does being on r9k mean everyone here is miserable?
>>
>>25633141
winrarm
>>
>>25632997
Why do you think literally millions of people KILL THEMSELVES every year? And tens of millions more seriously attempt to? And the hundreds of millions with clinical depression? And drug addiction?

Think about how fucking hopelessly empty you would have to be to even attempt suicide. Well, that's how empty and pointless life is at the end of the day. And that's why so many people really truly get to the point where they can't take it anymore.
>>
>>25632997

What? Did you expect that the moment you came out of the womb you'd be given a pamphlet from your doctor that said 'Life: A Comprehensive, Detailed Instruction Manual'? If only, that'd certainly make things a hell of a lot easier.

Hate to break it to you but that's not how it works. Philosophy exists for this very reason, eventually you come around to a section that resonates with you the most depending on where you're at in life.
>>
>>25632778
Scenario A: Its true and you follow the guide, you ascend

Scenario B: Its true but you don't follow the guide, you get reincarnated and go through human existence all over again. Virtues and sins determine your next life as the soul is eternal.

Scenario C: Its not true but you followed the guide anyways, you would have lived a good life as a virtuous person then you die forever. End of story.

Scenario D: Its not true and you live how you want to live, you are happy/sad/whatever then you die forever. End of story.

Disclaimer: Virtuous and Sinless =! Religious
Disclaimer: Its hard as fuck which is why nearly no human being do it
>>
>>25633153
>Does being on r9k mean everyone here is miserable?
most people are, something has to have gone wrong for you to end up anywhere near 4chan
>>
>>25633141
>You being alive is not the default state.
Yes it is. It's all you know.

>You haven't been a live for the vast amount of time that anything ever has existed.
Says who?

>Your life, even if you live to be 100+, is but a fraction of time you've been dead.
You're never dead because you never experience death. You only experience the moments before death.

>Your consciousness is made from electrons traveling between different structures of your brain and the hormones that your body produces. Without a brain to interpret those signals and without a body to maintain said brain you won't exist.
So then it is possible for a future entity to have the same exact structures and live the same life as me.

>>25633193
Yeah, I know this feel...

>>25633201
I just... I wish I could reason myself out of existentialism but it doesn't work that way.

>>25633207
But why? WHHYYYYY. I don't want to be subjugated like a slave to existence but I don't want to kill myself over it
>>
>>25633248
>I don't want to be a slave
From the moment you are born you are a slave, to your parents, to your school teachers, to your employer, to the government, to God. Did you have a choice in any of this? No, the only choice you have is what you do with yourself.
>>25633240
>"It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the upon righteous, only to those who know they are sinners."
>>
>>25632778
This guy is obviously trolling, please stop showing how new you guys are
>>
File: 1447177490151.png (575KB, 739x496px) Image search: [Google]
1447177490151.png
575KB, 739x496px
>>25633420
so you think you're here to help us?

I honestly wish I could go back to believing in virtue and god, it's such a pleasant outlook on life. I'd probably be happier if I could go back to it.
but my mind won't let me, reading too much philosophy and learning too much science has ruined me
there's no helping me, at least not in a spiritual way. I'd venture to say a lot of robots have this problem
>>
>>25633637
if immersing yourself in science and philosophy caused you to think one way perhaps immersing yourself with something more spiritual could have the same effect.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.