[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The STEM Meme Is Cancer

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 11

File: 1450993162147.jpg (66KB, 399x382px) Image search: [Google]
1450993162147.jpg
66KB, 399x382px
STEM jobs
>"This job sucks so hard that we're going to pay you $75,000-$150,000 per year just so we can get someone willing to do it without quitting or blowing their head off."
Liberal Arts Jobs
>"This job is so easy that we're only paying you $35,000 per year, enough to live on without being poor. Take it or leave it."

You're paid more in STEM mostly because the work sucks. The market is saturated with engineers and scientists. Everything is saturated. Your skills are not in demand. STEM programs are not hard. Any asshole that can organize his schedule will get through it with a job offer at the end.
>>
STEM is less saturated than liberal arts

also I enjoy my STEM job, best of both worlds faggot. stay poor
>>
>>25531182
clearly not when the STEM growth rates almost never go over 5%.
>>
>>25530955
>STEM mostly because the work sucks.
The reason women don't into STEM unless they come from the ass end of the world were clean water is fancy. Women are way more likely to skip boring shit.
>>
>>25530955
bio major, average job is $35k ... better to have done lib arts and fuck bitches 6 hours of classes a week
>>
>>25530955
>>"This job sucks so hard that we're going to pay you $75,000-$150,000 per year just so we can get someone willing to do it without quitting or blowing their head off."
The typical "science is boring" meme that all you dumb wageslaves pretend to believe just to feel better about yourself
>>
>he thinks anything outside of medicine is going to guarantee a decent job in any respect in 2016

College itself is a meme right now.

Also, STEM programs are hard. It's why I did liberal arts shit, which was absurdly easy. If I could actually do anything beyond algebra (which is already a struggle for me), I'd have stayed in the sciences.

Instead, I went into public administration, which is just filing paperwork, trying not to get sued, and pissing off everyone you come into contact with for not doing exactly what you want them to do.

If I wasn't a dumb shit, I could be taking it easy in a lab or playing around with computer software all day, instead of contemplating suicide with every other breath I take. Seriously. I should be in bed now for tomorrow, but the thought of going in just makes me want to curl into a ball, cry, and then go find a handgun.
>>
>>25530955
what the hell is a "liberal arts job"?

since graduating i maybe work 3 hours a day on average being paid a 33k salary the first year, 38k the second, and 45k the third. and i just did a few silly biotech bench positions at very shitty companies. i didn't even take bio classes until my senior year, so it's not like it even matters what you do in college in the first place.

here's better advice. if you think you're in school primarily to get a job someday, you will be poor for the rest of your life.
>>
>>25531182

stem is oversaturated in nearly every first world country

i.e. more graduates than jobs for nearly all of STEM.
>>
>>25531548
hey man, I the biotech companies you worked at did they require chemistry experience?
>>
>>25531561
that's why the alternatives are so great, like womens studies.
>>
>>25531597
i took a women's studies class as a summer course it was aids.
>>
>>25531595
none. i can't remember anything from chemistry. the kind of "experience" they asked for was if i know how to mix reagents to correct concentrations, which is just a basic math problem that you don't need to do since you get a recipe anyway. i would imagine that studying chemistry is a pretty solid plan though if you have the time.
>>
>>25531597

no, but it's basic critical thinking.

stem are the most expensive degrees to attain by a huge margin.

there is currently an over saturation of graduates with these degrees

there are no jobs available, and whatever jobs exist are diluted in value because it's a hirers marker; i.e. they can pay you much less money than you would normally get.

education is cool, but you should approach stem degrees with thought given to return on investment.
>>
>>25531485
>the thought of going in just makes me want to curl into a ball, cry, and then go find a handgun.
Feel that way about retail. Hang strong anon
>>
selling drugs is more saturated than both of those and it's still highly lucrative.
the problem is taxes and the cost of tuition.

selling drugs requires only the ability to add and subtract, even better if you can become your own supplier.
>>
>>25531779

what? selling drugs is not lucrative.

nigga you watch too much TV.

yeah its lucrative if you're the guy at the top of the chain, but that's like saying

> oh mane mcdonalds is saturated but its hella lucrative tho cos their CEO makes millions.

while the average dealer is on par w/ a cashier.
>>
>>25531653
>I barely took any bio and no chemistry and somehow this biochemistry lab hired me to do menial slave work!

Hmmm
>>
File: aigircute1.png (332KB, 1280x1245px) Image search: [Google]
aigircute1.png
332KB, 1280x1245px
>>25531734

I was in retail before this for many years, actually. Shit sucks hard, but in different ways.

You know what's really scary though? I miss my retail job compared to this. Everyday is stress and pain and I get home absolutely destroyed, despite physically doing less than ever. At least I could just fuck up all day in retail without any consequences.
>>
>>25531815
ok, if this is what you believe, this is what you believe.
i was surviving off of growing weed then selling it and one of my best friends saved enough to buy a Lexus, just drug dealing.

now the revenue in Denver off of cannabis sales is paying their state deficit, but i guess i watch too much TV.
>>
>>25530955
The work only sucks if you can't git gud at math and critical thinking
>>
>>25531702
>basic critical thinking
>expensive degrees
>approach degrees with thought given to return on investment
>how to sound like a wordy 16 year old

ok no you're right it's pretty basic. so since school has nothing to do with education in your basic world, and it's just a basic investment, let me see your own math on the most profitable degree (regardless of institution or where you live, since you think that doesn't matter). you've given thought right?
>>
>>25531885

d-do you actually think saving enough to buy a lexus is lucrative?

what?

are you actually trying to conflate a low level weed drug dealer w/ a state government taxing weed?

what?

... what?

nigga please.

yeah cool senpai I make enough to buy a lexus too, especially when you consider even the 2016 model is a mid range fucking car.
>>
>>25531702
>stem are the most expensive degrees to attain by a huge margin.

I don't think this is true

My uni charges the same whether you take stem or liberal arts
>>
>>25531825
i said biotech. and chemists did the chemistry. what is your problem? my first two positions were essentially pushing buttons on a machine and pipetting. hence the shitty salary.

not to fucking mention that you learn the relevant concepts at work you sack of shit. i still know enough to describe how my experiments work. biology programs specifically are way behind industry anyway.
>>
>>25530955
I enjoy my STEM job. Programming is fun and non-stressful.
>>
File: 1434697283107.jpg (98KB, 378x485px) Image search: [Google]
1434697283107.jpg
98KB, 378x485px
>>25531702

>hirers marker

lol.

Also, schools charge the same for STEM degrees as they do for liberal arts degrees; unless you're crying about the very meager difference in lab fees or required credit hours.

This is all something you'd be familiar with if you'd actually gone to college; I have no doubt you will eventually (every chucklefuck in the nation does nowadays), but you have to be 18 to post here, champ.
>>
>>25530955
this is true but i would take a life where i was good and interested in science and math over my current life where i'm sorta bad at math and have little interest in STEM or the liberal arts, outside of acting, which i've never done before, or know if i would like it or not.
>>
>>25531962
considering the initial investment, yeah it's pretty lucrative.
the other options are spend thousands on tuition and years of your time.
P.S. please stop indenting every sentence, it isn't necessary.

growing weed isn't being a low level drug dealer and yes it's lucrative, even in places where it's not taxed.
>>
>>25531975

well .. you're wrong, I don't know what else to tell you.

you need to do more investigation.

>>25531935

i can barely understand what point you're trying to make, you're mainly just rambling.

you should always consider ROI on a degree, I don't think anybody would ever argue with that -- unless your from a wealthy family in which case go nuts.

don't get the masters because it's 'logical progression', get the masters because it will unlock the next paygrade/opportunity.

don't go STEM because it makes you feel 'smart', and because you think you'll make huge sums of money.

like I already outlined: the market is saturated w/ graduates, more than the amount of jobs avaliable, and what jobs are there have been diminished in value because hirers have all the power when negotiating.
>>
>>25532046

> catching a typo where the keys are next to eachother on an imageboard.

gottem.

and no, look up the prices of JD units & MD units vs standard unit semester costs.
>>
>>25532106
>no math
>just a dumb teen
Thanks
>>
>>25532135

>JD and MD
>everyone else is talking about undergrads

How many goalposts you gonna move tonight senpai? Also, it's funny that you think MD units are comparable to every other grad program in STEM.
>>
>>25532154

whats with calling other people a teen? are you a teen?
>>
>>25532214

oh sure the undergrad is pretty much the same.

but why would we be focusing on undergrad in a STEM discussion?

that doesn't really make sense.
>>
>>25532106
I'm a grad student right now in pharmaceuticals getting a Ph.D. and I (as well as all the other pharmaceutical graduate students) get paid about 30k a year plus get tuition and fees waived as well as good health insurance and dental/vision. Stopping at the undergrad level with a STEM degree is pretty shitty
>>
>>25532279
Plus most STEM grad schools pay grad students tuition and usually provide a stipend anyway you fucking meff
>>
File: Jerry.png (112KB, 370x452px) Image search: [Google]
Jerry.png
112KB, 370x452px
>>25530955
>STEM programs are not hard. Any idiot can do STEM, I-I just like not doing it!
Good work, OP, happy thoughts
>>
>tfw making 80k on your 2nd year out of college as a process engineer
>tfw recruiters were practically sucking the dicks of every ChemEng students at every job fair
Lmao
Just don't go to a shit school and do your internships, dumbfucks

Though, the ones that really have it made are the people who did Comp Eng/EE. They're making slightly over 100k straight out, after getting employed from google as infrastructure engineers.

this is at berkeley, by the way.
>>
>>25531482
>le science

that's a funny way of saying "making a smartphone 0.1% faster"
>>
>>25531485
>college is a meme
oh my god shut the fuck up faggot. if you don't have to pay for it, fucking go.
>>
>>25530955
I'm making 50k a year just supervising shit and throwing out ideas (with knowledge of most creative programs).

Easy, easy money.
Plus, I went to a community college so no debts to pay off.
>>
File: 1449373225613.jpg (11KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
1449373225613.jpg
11KB, 235x235px
>>25531891
OH MAN I CANT WAIT TO SIT AND STARE AT THIS MILD STEEL PIPE FLANGE IN AUTOCAD ALL DAY

AND IF I CHOOSE TO DO FIELD/MAINTENANCE WORK INSTEAD OF BEING A CUBICLE ZOMBIE I GET TO BE A GLORIFIED RIG PIG WITH TWICE THE RESPONSIBILITIES, HALF THE RESPECT AND MARGINALLY BETTER PAY.

SURE IS FUN TO DEAL WITH THAT PIECE OF SHIT 40-YEAR-OLD HEAT EXCHANGER THAT MY COMPANY IS TOO CHEAP TO REPLACE BECAUSE MY EXPERTISE IS VIEWED AS AN EXPENDITURE RATHER THAN AN ASSET

MAYBE IF TIMES GET REALLY TOUGH I CAN TAKE A JOB MAKING SURE STRUCTURAL STEEL I-BEAMS ARE MADE AND FITTED TO SPEC OH MAN THIS IS REALLY THE MOST RIVETING FIELD

SO MUCH EXCITING

TRULY GOD TIER
>>
>>25533193
>Reply
Yeah. I went to night school for practically nothing, then got my work to pay for my masters and now make 90k.

I a kid that got into real estate with almost nothing and makes over 100k.
>>
Well my degree is kind of a mix of both STEM and liberal arts.

I have to take several statistic courses. I have several programming courses. I have a sound design course. The rest of the courses deal with design theory, graphic design, web design, user experience design, etc.

I do a lot of creative work, except I get to do it with code and software which I really enjoy. Hopefully I can land a web design job after school and make an easy 40k or 50k a year doing something I have an interest in.

Its better to be happy and enjoy what you spend 50% of your life doing than being rich, but if you can do both, why not do both?
>>
>>25531485
>liberal arts is easy
>picks easiest part of it

t. poli sci major
>>
>>25530955
>not hard
>anyone can do it
>yet continues whining about STEM rather than seizing that fucking salary

Please.
>>
>>25533218
Is being a rig pig still possible these days? Didn't the need for those jobs plummet in the last couple of years?
>>
>>25533343
>not hard

did you fucking read the OP or not

>This job sucks so hard that we're going to pay you $75,000-$150,000 per year just so we can get someone willing to do it without quitting or blowing their head off
>>
>>25533343
man you really are retarded.
>>
science and math are fucking boring dude why would you even do that
>>
>>25533554
b-but if you aren't engineering you're a wymyn's studies major
>>
>>25533554
this.

popsci makes it cool but at the end of the day, nobody cares that isn't involved
>>
>>25533218
literally just described most modern STEM jobs with added competition from chinese/indian engineers driving down wages all across the board so you're getting paid the same as the lib arts major that eventually works his way up to manager.
>>
so ive been in this college meme thing for a little over 2 years now and i fucked up awhile back so if I continue being a chemistry major it'll take about another 4 years.

what do I do should I change my major if stem is such a meme or do I just drop this college meme all together and do welding help me i wanna kill myself
>>
>>25530955
STEM is the only guaranteed job maker in the future. They're going to automate and destroy millions of jobs or severely reduce hours. Now, what happens after that is anyone's guess but if you want to be sure, you'll be taking those jobs yourself.
>>
File: 1445872875736.png (158KB, 1000x963px) Image search: [Google]
1445872875736.png
158KB, 1000x963px
>>25533956
>tfw going to fuck over millions of wageslaves by introducing automation

Honestly feels great

wagies gonna starve!
>>
File: 1410827079052.jpg (88KB, 340x333px) Image search: [Google]
1410827079052.jpg
88KB, 340x333px
>tfw vocational school master race
>>
>>25533956
>STEM is the only guaranteed job maker in the future.
you know they will just import h1bs to do your job for less
>>
>>25532106
that's a lot of meaningless words but at the end of the day a stem degree is a way better choice than a non stem degree
>>
>tfw I became a dual certificate welder / plumber in 2 years with no debt due to apprenticeship work
>tfw currently make $90/hour on average as a private contractor for residential homes, and close to $150/hour for industrial work

Feels good man.
>>
File: 1451383780450.gif (775KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
1451383780450.gif
775KB, 245x245px
>>25530955
>The market is saturated with engineers and scientists
>>
>>25530955
>The market is saturated with engineers and scientists
>Any asshole that can organize his schedule will get through it with A JOB OFFER AT THE END
What a fucking retard.
>>
>>25533813
>eventually works his way up to manager
Kek

also, indians are a meme. no good company hires FOBs. The people that work alongside me are mostly whitewashed japs/koreans and whites
>>
>>25534290
his point is that it's saturated, so your not god-tier for going into STEM because there are 10000 other niggers just like you and even if you get the job, it sucks ass anyway.
>>
>>25531485
>I struggle with algebra
>>
>>25530955
>too stupid to do STEM
>uhhh, it just sucks guys, HAHA
>I switched to History because I liked it!
Sys admin and made 73k last year, and it's been a year since I was a senior. And it's only gonna go up higher. It's an easy job and an easy pay.

Keep up the "STEM is shit" meme, though

Less competition for me :^)
>>
>>25534502

If there is not enough stemfags to fill positions it is not saturated. Did you forget that words mean things again?
>>
>>25534502
This is only true if you went to a shit school, or if you're an EE

sorry, dude
>>
>>25534582
saturated =/= no jobs

It means that employers have like 1,000 applications to look at for a fucking entry level paper pusher position and that they can basically lower the salary to whatever they want until someone says "Fine."
>>
>>25530955
>The market is saturated with engineers and scientists. Everything is saturated.

Not here in the States they aren't.

Also lol Liberal Arts is so fucking saturated why do you think so many people with a liberal arts degree can't find a job?
>>
>>25533218
>I don't know what engineers do, but I know what Solidworks and AutoCAD are: The Post
>>
>>25534629
>Not here in the States they aren't.

Ask the U.S Electrical Engineers who are losing their jobs to H1-B visas what they think about that.
>>
I don't doubt for a second that STEM is more promising in terms of careers with a bachelor's degree.

But I was and still am too stupid for STEM, Psychology is easy and I knew people in the field so it wasn't hard to find a job. STEM isn't for everybody, hell college isn't for everybody, half of the people with degrees are going to be stocking shelves anyways.
>>
>>25533376
I live in Alberta.

No, you're not getting a rig pig job right now with no experiance or knowing anyone in the industry.

It sucks. I had a decent job, quit before the inevitable layoffs to go to school for accounting. Everyone making 150k last year with no experiance can't get hired at mcdonalds right now. Feast or famine.
>>
>tfw mechanical engineering degree from #10 in the country

I'm basically a rock star, no big deal or anything.
>>
>>25534813
if you don't get a job in engineering, your degree was useless, where as any libtard major will at least be able to apply their knowledge wherever they go, because it's not technical
>>
>>25531485
>If I could actually do anything beyond algebra (which is already a struggle for me)

Man, I know that feel way too well.

I'm pretty good at the kinds of math that can be done mentally or understood visually (Geometry etc.) but the second shit turns into equations on paper my head starts spinning. Same goes for programming since it's the same kind of thing as algebra.
>>
>>25530955

>$35,000 a year
>enough to not be poor
>good luck with this
>>
Do you guys want to know what major is absolutely 100% useful every single day of your life?

>major in Russian
>move to Russia
bam, you use your degree every single day without even having a job
>>
>>25535051
Even so, I'm content.
>>
>>25535579
that's because you're dumb
>>
>>25530955
>You're paid more in STEM

>Your skills are not in demand

Yes they are, that's why they're paid more

>STEM programs are not hard

Yes they are, that's why the work sucks

troll less faggot

STEM's not just about number crunching and technology, STEM teaches you how to solve problems and how to THINK, something your liberal arts toilet paper will never do while you're dissecting sonnets written 300 years ago for entertainment in some guy's spare time
>>
>>25531485
Good luck finding a good when you graduate, there will be lots on unpaid internships available or entry level jobs that require a minimum of 2 years experience.
>>
>>25532405
What the cost of tuition at Berkeley though, 30k a year, plus 100k in Silicon Valley is basically poverty.
>>
There are no stem jobs. The STEM worker shortage is a myth invented by people like cuckerberg to bring in more H1B wagecucks. Cuckerberg couldn't get laid back in college and now has a lifelong grudge against everyone else. He wants to fuck over and impoverish as many people as he can.
>>
>>25536186
this

sdghfjgfgoriginalcomentn
>>
>>25533956
What you automation doomsayers need to realize is the jobs that are going to be replaced first are those that involve manipulating electronic data.

An AI robot that fits a pipe as well and as economically as a trained human being in a real-world environment is basically science fiction, but an AI to optimize pipe layouts for a new chemical plant is much more realistic.

Basically:
>>AI manipulates electric data
versus
>>AI manipulates physical world thru extremely expensive sensors/appendages/attendant programming that all have to work perfectly because annoying liability issues
>>
>>25531485
>medicine
>guarantee a decent job

Tell that to all the med grads who can't even find places to do a residency at.

Also:
>liberal arts shit
>absurdly easy
>I went into public administration
>>
Why are any of you looking for this type of work? Don't you wanna do something with your life? Be on the edge and work your way up to something big? Be a leader, inventor, CEO, director, cinematographer, sound designer, editor, calibrator, conductor, day-trader, etc.? Something more artistic, political, or business oriented? Why do you want to be so safe?
>>
>>25531597
no. things like economics and other "general thinking" degrees like philosophy are great for getting positions at banks and shit.
>>
>>25536186
This. SERIOUSLY DO NOT GO INTO STEM IF YOU EXPECT TO BE EMPLOYED IN STEM.
>>
>>25530955
most of you faggots couldn't even finish a degree anyway
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.