[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Design A Magical Girl

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 15

File: merrychristmasbitches.jpg (46KB, 413x600px) Image search: [Google]
merrychristmasbitches.jpg
46KB, 413x600px
An experiment in collaborative character creation! Help me make a magical girl and their visual design for my quest!

I'm going to use selfylab for the visuals (pic related as an example - I did not make that), but I need to get a few things out of the way first.

I need ideas for a theme for her magic, and a theme for her outfit.
>>
File: anormalmagicalgirl.png (181KB, 700x750px) Image search: [Google]
anormalmagicalgirl.png
181KB, 700x750px
>>937198

For example, pic related is my quest's MC, whos magic theme is 'starry night' and outfit theme is 'young royalty', with purple as the main colour.
I'll take ideas for either of those things, and when there's enough floating around I'll hold a vote (if necessary) to cement the decision.

Other examples of magic themes: 'force shooter', 'lightning strike', 'forest song', 'hand puppets'
But less weird shit like an element ('ice') or a concept ('time') is totally welcome and probably less complicated as well!

Here's an important bit: the character must be an extrovert, and probably at least a bit cocky. Her magic and visual design might need to follow that, might not, I dunno.

Now throw me your ideas!

I'll be showing up sporadically, and this'll probably take a few days.
>>
>>937198
huh... pre thread to design a character... I suppose that's one way to prevent char creation from bogging down a quests start.

uh...for magic themes... textiles/cloth?
as for the outfit to go with that...im thinking green... oh and maybe a pincushion on a belt to act as a scabbard for a sewing needle rapier...
>>
>>937220
oh... a cocky one eh?
... apply sewing metaphors to time and space? stitches in time, folding space...
>>
Also, this is for >>933651 which I ran yesterday.
The resulting character from this thread will be a rival of sorts (not specifically to the MC).

>>937220

Crap, forgot to mention.

The colour themes purple, yellow, red, and green are already taken. Haha.

Sewing needle rapier is a creative one!

I have no clue how long I'll wait for ideas. We'll figure this shit out as we go.
>>
>>937204
A naturally-introverted girl who only appears to be extroverted because that's what everyone has come to expect her to be. Inside, she's actually terrified of disappointing everyone's expectations, so she continues the charade - at least as long as she's in front of people she knows.

Her magic theme, 'concealment and deception', represents this, as does her outfit theme, which is either 'utterly inconspicuous' or 'constantly shifting' or possibly both. People often find it at odds with her perceived personality, but only those few who truly know her will understand its actual significance.
>>
How's about "Blinding Radiance" as a theme. Basically a character
so sick of being overlooked and overshadowed that she now does everything to be the flashiest, most noticeable, most in your face person as possible. Her powers could involve using and manipulating light and her colr scheme could be something like white with gold or yellow.
>>
>>937204
A nosy girl whose magic theme is 'magnification'. Her outfit is based on Sherlock Holmes', with brown as the main color.
>>
File: i fukn love rice.jpg (373KB, 1280x993px) Image search: [Google]
i fukn love rice.jpg
373KB, 1280x993px
Okay, before I have to step out

We currently have four ideas:
'Seamstress'
'Concealment and Deception'
'Blinding Radiance'
'Magnification'

I don't know if I should look to finalise the theme just yet, but if you're reading do consider commenting or expanding on one of the existing ones so I can get a better idea of what people are interested in.
>>
>>937507
I like the seamstress one, they could have a bobbin of thread on their hip or back they can use for tying shit up our other handy dandy string tricks
>>
>>937507
Seamstress for sure. If its magical girl go for a sewing needle with the tip going through a sewn button "X stitch kinda look" and then baddabing sword is a wand idea now.

Counterpart/ underling is a knitting based girl with mittens... adorable satanic mittens
>>
An girl with a cool exterior and an icy demeanor, her magic powers focus on spirits. She can communicate with spirits of the wild and ghosts of the dead and ask them to fight for her. Because she spends most of her time around them, she has adopted some of their mannerisms and now speaks in a chilling, monotone voice and shows no outward signs of emotion.

Her color scheme could be grey and pale blue and her clothes could have something to do with feathers
>>
File: clothes.png (799KB, 1400x775px) Image search: [Google]
clothes.png
799KB, 1400x775px
Oops. Didn't expect to be gone for this long.
Hmm, I guess I can't find a reason to not consider that a vote. Okay, lets just lock in 'SEAMSTRESS' for magic!

But that leaves us without an outfit theme.

What kind of clothing should a slightly cocky magical seamstress wear?
Something long and flowing? Or shorter, more free?
Something fancy, frilly as fuck? Or something sensible, smart and clean?
Something modern? A dress? A uniform?

Pic related is a bunch of outfits as a handful of examples and possibilities. Most have colour variants as well.
You can use them as your own examples of what you're thinking ("something like this, but...").

If you want to look at the full list yourself, the site I'm using should come up as the first result from googling 'attrade tags', and can be fed to google translate for something slightly less japanese.
>>
>>938920
shorter... functional... maybe an armored glove tipped with thimbles on her off hand.
maybe some sort of apron with lots of pockets with various tailoring/sewing tools in them, I also like one anons suggestion of having a large bobbin of thread strapped to her back.
as for head gear... either a bow or an elaborate hairdo that requires a pin to hold it together, but the pin is a back up sewing needle poniard thing.
>>
File: img000012.png (626KB, 959x1400px) Image search: [Google]
img000012.png
626KB, 959x1400px
A seamstress could take a few cues from Otoyomegatari.
>>
>>938920
Lets just do the turban one from your pic. with the full implication that she ONLY wears a turban
A pincushion turban.
>>
>>938920
how about some Central Asian inspi—
>>938989
oh I got beaten to the punch.

in that case...I'd think the sleeves would be compact, or maybe there's poofy shoulders and then long gloves? so that working is convenient. but then a cape (w/poofy pants) or a long dress to show off embroidery or something.

or maybe her outfit changes often! that seems like a lot of work, though, and might not be congruent with however your MGs transform.
>>
File: seamstressA.png (441KB, 643x940px) Image search: [Google]
seamstressA.png
441KB, 643x940px
Right then!

I think we're agreed on a mix being showing off frills or embroidery plus looking practical for working - that is, favouring shorter sleeves and looking like the outfit could hold tools.

With that in mind I'm going to post a few things I threw together, and afterwards explain what the hell I want you guys to do.

First up is Set A.

The rapier is the best I could find - lets just pretend that's a thread of cloth and not, you know, chocolate.

Maid slash waiter. Not great on the practical bit, but otherwise seems to fit well.

If I want to keep those spools of thread I have to keep the scissors as well. We can say she wears them all on her back, and they may or may not detach during battle or spellcasting.

The eyes and hair here were actually placeholder, but turned out to fit well enough with the outfit.
>>
File: seamstressB.png (92KB, 418x408px) Image search: [Google]
seamstressB.png
92KB, 418x408px
>>939321

Next up is Set B. Still on the waitress-ish theme, though this one is more subdued.

I couldn't find a decent hairpin that suggests 'sewing needle' or something similar, so I went with a beret. That could conceivably be used as a pincushion, right?

This image and the others have the scissors removed and background changed to be less distracting.
>>
File: seamstressB2.png (94KB, 418x408px) Image search: [Google]
seamstressB2.png
94KB, 418x408px
>>939329

Set B2, a minor variation. The only difference is the outfit. More decorative, more childish. No footgear, but that's just because I got lazy.
>>
File: seamstressC.png (121KB, 418x408px) Image search: [Google]
seamstressC.png
121KB, 418x408px
>>939333

And lastly Set C.

This is the result of my attempt to steer clear from waitress and maid uniforms. I'm actually fond of the result, but I have a feeling it doesn't fit the character well.

And the character is also meant to be 13 years of age. This looks older for certain.
>>
Note that the colour scheme isn't set yet! Suggestions welcome, though perhaps it'd be better to finalise the outfit first. Outfits have colour variations, but not a huge number of them.
I also haven't added accessories, obviously. I'm pretty sure I'll add a bag at some point.

The changes among those sets are mostly hair style, face, and outfit (and whether or not she wears a beret), and I'm pretty much just looking for comments on all of those things.

I'm still willing to look around for different styles, outfits and whatnot - these are not the only options, so if you think one of the sets would look better with a slightly different hairstyle, then describe that to me and I'll figure something out.

So tell me what you think fits, what you think looks good!
>>
>>937204
>Girl (male).
>>
>>939352
I personally like the third. The blue scheme looks nice. The cool feeling of blue looks calm.
>>
>>939352
I find myself partial to Seamstress C, but Seamstress A looks cool too.
>>
File: bitch its FRIENDSHIP time.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bitch its FRIENDSHIP time.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
C is in the lead, but I won't call it yet. I'll be back in about 12 hours - so that there's a little more to discuss, I'm also going to ask for spell names and ideas.

To help, here's a bunch of spell names for the current characters in the quest:

'Starry Night': Starry Lance, Shard Of The Night Sky, Void Step, Midnight Harvester
'Force Shooter': Gun Runner, Judgement's Decree
'Lightning Strike': Brokkr And Eitri, Thunderclad, Sky-Shatter Storm
'Forest Song': Echo Song, Tangleroot Pianissimo

Go nuts! What can a girl with a needle rapier, possibly scissors, and a lot of thread actually do?
>>
>>939430
I like the look of C the most, though I imagine you'd have to roleplay her slightly differently from the standard fiery redheaded extrovert magical girl the initial character requirements bring to mind.

As for spells:
Binding Twine - The magical girl strikes with her rapier, sewing an invisible thread into her target which allows her to physically interfere with its movements. The thread is intangible in all places except the point of connection, but a canny enemy may be able to free itself.
Picture of a Thousand Words - The magical girl instantly weaves an tapestry of such enchanting beauty that foes cannot help but have their gazes pulled into it. A largely defensive technique, it is used to break the focus of enemies at crucial moments.
Blanket of Total Destruction - A devastating technique that entraps an enemy within a conjured blanket that rapidly saps its energy and will to fight. The longer an enemy remains trapped, the less likely it is to escape. May or may not be incredibly comfortable and cozy.
Great Unraveling - With only her needle rapier and an immense amount of focus, the magical girl unravels the very threads that bind the fabric of reality together, causing everything in an extremely small area to be unwoven from the tapestry of reality itself. Extremely draining. Generally not viable to be performed in combat.
Other unnamed techniques - Variations of standard magical girl attacks, such as needle rains, binding spiderwebs, razor wire threads and realistic woven doll-clones.
Red String of Fate - Allows the magical girl to bind two (or more!) parties with the Red String. You know the one. Does exactly what you think it does.
>>
>>939430
I'd vote for C as well, it really is the most striking design. As for abilities...

Maybe the ability to spool and unspool the thread she has attatched to her needle, so she can use it sort of like a retractable grappling hook?

>>939468
>That spoiler
You absolute madman, I love it!
>>
>>939489
More spells could include:
Spanning threads serving as an early warning system or trap triggers/
Quickly weaving a camouflage covering made exactly for the place it's needed at/
Sewing opponents to various objects or the terrain/
And for maximum evil, cutting the strings that connect people. Love, friendship, loyalty? Snip.
>>
>>939507
Oh, and making lifelike stuffed dolls for distraction purposes.
>>
>>939507
First one kind of sounds like what Lubbock from AGK could do with his CrossTail. Third one brings to mind Stein from Soul Eater.
>>
I'm liking what I see here.

Great Unraveling sounds like an awesome ultimate technique.

>>939468
Pretty much all this is gold.
>>
File: accesscolorsandstuff.png (441KB, 888x858px) Image search: [Google]
accesscolorsandstuff.png
441KB, 888x858px
Awesome work guys, I think we've woven a pretty clear picture of this girl's combat style - a light melee fighter that relies on deception and quick thinking to set up debilitating bindings.

I might end up changing up some names and effects to better fit with the quest, but otherwise I think we've got spells down pat!

Set C is a definite winner for visual design. There seems to be support for keeping the cool blue as her main colour, but just in case I'm going to show you the other colours available.

And now some stuff to vote on:

Scissors and thread spools or no? They're fitting, but their more random colouring might clash with the rest of the outfit.

Accessories to the head! The top row of pic related shows two hair pins and a ribbon. The left is nice and fancy, the middle is very fitting and more subdued (the button's not-blue colour helps make the spooled threads stand out a little less as well), and the right comes as a set with those cross earrings, which don't really fit but are cool anyway.

This girl needs a name! To help, here's some of the existing names in the quest (alliterative - undecided as to whether I want all the names to be that way):
Alexis Aeron
Mika Myrri
Suzu Sigilind
Ciel Cinnamon

We had some suggestions for a confidence-as-a-facade character earlier, which could work pretty well. Any further random notes and comments on personality are welcome as well!
>>
>>940403
Oh, and at the bottom left there's a bag. It's half covered by the scissors. Keep, yes/no?
>>
>>939430
But OP, how could you forget D?
>>
>>940403
Delia Desmonaire

I like the dark outfits more, 1 > 3 > 2 > 4 being my order of preference, with 4 being my hair preference for 1, 2 being my hair preference for 3, 3 being my hair preference for 2, and if we must, and 4 my hair preference for 4.

Accessory 2, subtle, but fits the theme. Big bow feels a bit over the top.

Scissors, yes, not sure how I feel about the spools.
>>
>>940403
I'd vote to keep the blue color scheme, choose the far right head accessory and to keep the scissors and spools.
>>
>>939468
And support for this man's ability names.

Save that I think Binding Twine is a bit bland.

Inescapable Thread of Fate
>>
>>940622
Oh, and name suggestion, with a middle name too:

Veronica Vivian Valentine
>>
>>940403
Josephine Jacquard (after the inventor of the Jacquard loom)?
>>
File: realclose.png (139KB, 563x406px) Image search: [Google]
realclose.png
139KB, 563x406px
Right then, choice between hair accessories:
>
[ ] Button + Pin
[ ] Ribbon + Cross Earrings

And name:
>
[ ] Delia Desmonaire
[ ] Veronica V. Valentine
[ ] Josephine Jacquard

We'll stick with blue - the darker black/navy/purple is pretty cool, but I realised I've already got a purple in >>937204
Still taking random thoughts on personality. I probably have enough to work with, but more's welcome.
>>
>>941673
unless you can make the button blue
>[x] Ribbon + Cross Earrings
and
>[x] Delia Desmonaire
sounds good. other names feel 'sharp' while this one feels less so.
>>
>>941673
>[x] Button + Pin
>[x] Josephine Jacquard
>>
>>941673
Preferring button and Josephine currently. The ribbon and earrings are a bit big and busy.

As far as personality, I like the idea of the confident front emerging from a lack of direct strength to her power. Her tools are sharp but fragile. Her thread has little substance on its own. Her creations are an investment of order and time, which she sorely lacks in any fight.

Her close-quarters work and outbursts of frustration are easily mistaken for bravado. The world is her rowdy, uncooperative cloth, and if it won't sit still and be stitched to the next piece, then she'll chase it down, by golly.
>>
File: josephinetheseamstress.png (298KB, 548x797px) Image search: [Google]
josephinetheseamstress.png
298KB, 548x797px
Okay then, I think that means we're done.

Meet Josephine Jacquard, 13 years old, seamstress, close-combat trickster, and magician trainee!

We ended up with a slew of things to work with, including:

Some nifty weapons, spells, and capabilities >>939468 >>939507

Some great strips of personality >>937280 >>942106

And a cool visual design to top it off!

Thank you all very much for sticking with me, and for helping me put together an interesting character. It was a fun experiment to run, and I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.

Josephine will be seeing action in my next thread, and I hope I can do her justice!
>>
File: pomf.png (295KB, 548x797px) Image search: [Google]
pomf.png
295KB, 548x797px
For those interested, you can find my first thread here http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=LQAMG or >>933651 if it's still up.

And pic related as a bonus, because reasons.
>>
>>942165
The reasons are that Josie is clearly best girl.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.