[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rougelike Tournament

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 9

File: vampire-castle-huge-haunted.jpg (85KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
vampire-castle-huge-haunted.jpg
85KB, 800x600px
This is a rougelike, death is absolute and likely, play carefully and you may make it to the end.

You groan and sit up, the steady dripping of an unknown liquid echoes through whatever dim room you sit in currently.

"Hello there." A deep voice booms from in front of you as a small wisp of mist blows up and forms into a man with dark pants and a red velvet vest.

You scramble backwards with a yell.

"Who in the 9th hell are you?" You shout

"Your bound servant, sire. The entity that brought you here has secured me to you. I am a Gjin, a wish granter, a mere servant to your desires. Brothers of mine were captured by the dozens and bound to other...promising individuals such as yourself." He says with a sneer

You run your head confused.
"Entity? Other individuals? What in blazes is going on here?" You ask shakily standing

"Let me tell you as simply as possible as it was told to me. Some Light King, or Shrouded Lord has brought you and others to this realm for a simple reason. A tournament of sorts for the position of being their champion. Now I am to grant you materials to be wielded during this spectacle. So tell me, what were you in the life you had before this?"

>Cleric
>Assassin
>Knight
>Bard
>Pirate
>Tower Guard
>Monk
>Necromancer
>Merchant
>Nobleman
>Executioner
>>
>>924831
>Executioner
>>
>>924831
>Assassin
>>
>>924831
>Assassin
>>
>>924831
>Executioner
>>
>>924831
>Assassin
>>
>>924831
>Necromancer
Every opponents death makes us stronger
>>
>>924831

>nobleman
>>
"I was an assassin. I killed for anyone who paid enough, maybe I'm getting my just dues building my life on ending others." You say contemplative of your life

"Well now is not the time to regret your decisions, your skills may serve you well here." Says the strange being

He raises his hands and a bright blue light blinds you and you feel the weight of the black polished leather you commonly wore. At your feet lays a Rapier and a belt containing six throwing knives, you tie it across your chest and place the rapier in your sheath on your hip.

Your grey cloth undershirt and leather boots and pants provide cushioning to the rough leather.

"Truly a killer if I've ever seen one. There is a feast about to be held where all the contestants will be introduce to your coordinator of events. I am permitted to answer a single question before I take you so please do shock me with your inquisitive mind." The Gjin says seemingly growing quite bored

>Ask a single question.
>>
>>925248
If there is a way for me to get back to my old world without the aid of a Light King or a Shrouded Lord, what would it be?
>>
>>925248
What are my strengths and weaknesses?
>>
>>924831
>Merchant
>>
>>925248
>How likely am I to win?
W/ a smug-ass smile

OR

>How can I free the Djinn.
Because we were a freedom fighter in our past life.
>>
"If there is a way for me to get back to my old world without the aid of a Light King or a Shrouded Lord, what would it be?" You ask afraid

The Gjin laughs heartily
"You aren't in a different world boy, just a different plane of your world. The Shrouded Lord Zandax's plane. The only way to get back via Shrouded Lords or Light Kings is to ask and for them to allow it." He says before lifting his hands as a white light begins gaining brightness

You go to ask another question but find yourself blinded, as the bright white screen subsides you find yourself seated at an oak long table with around 20 other individuals. You are surrounded by five other tables with equal amounts of men when a voice speaks, seemingly in your ear.

"Hello potential champions. Welcome to my tourney of the damned, you have all been selected because you are scoundrels, criminals, filth, egotistical, nihilistic or othetrwise someone I'd find it entertaining to watch you be crushed." The voice says as a light chuckle follows

A few men begin looking around, you can even spot some women in the crowds.

"Worry not my little pawns, there is a silver lining. One of you at the end of this will become my champion and be imbued the powers of a demi-god. I will not only test your strength, but also your cunning, your speed, your ability to solve problems." He says again his deep voice vibrating your ear canal.

You feel your skin begin to warm up and darkness again creeps into your eyes. This time cool mist touches your bare neck and you see a woman across from you, her iron armor adorned with golden symbols. She graps a massive silver mace in both hands.

You stand in a mossy circle above an incomprehensible drop, the edges are covered in large stones. This is quite simply, an arena.

You try and move but find yourself frozen, you see her as well struggling to move.

"Here we have the might cleric, her faith in god and heavy hand led her to ruin. While her opponent, the assassin. Led men to their deaths and brought them closer to god than she ever could." The voice echoes

The roar of a crowd fills your ears. You feel the grip of an invisible hand lessen as you fall to your knees and rise. The Cleric looks at you, then the crowd, finally she takes a pendant around her neck and begins muttering to herself.

>Waste no time, attack
>Assume a defensive stance
>Try and talk about this.
>Throw a knife
>Write-In
>>
>>930947
>Throw a knife
To interrupt her chant then
>Charge her.
>>
>>930947
>Throw a knife
and advance. Keep at least the illusion of pressure on to prevent her from chanting.

>Bait her into missing a blow
Maces have to both have a good bit of follow through and strike something (so the rebound puts it back into position, yeah?) to be used properly, and she'll be be wide open if we can bait her into missing entirely. They also depend on predicting movement, so lead her with a seemingly predictable motion that you will quickly juke out of.

Just...be wary that she's probably faster than you think.
>>
Give me a d20 for a knife throw.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d20)

>>931121
Time to crush the opposition!
>>
>>931133
Fuck me insta death it seems
>>
Rolled 1 (1d20)

>>931121
>>931133
YASD
>>
File: 1429847173649-0.jpg (41KB, 562x437px) Image search: [Google]
1429847173649-0.jpg
41KB, 562x437px
>>931133
>>931162
I have no words for this level of failure.
>>
Rolled 3 (1d20)

>>931121
Time to show the casuals how it's done
>>
File: 1457800100610.jpg (8KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1457800100610.jpg
8KB, 300x225px
>>931188
You did half again as well as both of us combined.

You are truly a god amongst us.

We're going to die, but at least it's going to be spectacular.
>>
Rolled 17 (1d20)

>>931188
>>931162
>>931133

One thing left to do now. Rolling to kill ourselves from this shame
>>
You quickly reach for the knife on your chest and withdraw a knife, you go to hurl it at the Paladin but the mist has made your hands slippery.

The blade slips from your hands as you bring your hand down and the blade goes straight through your foot!

You are now pinned to the ground and unable to move unless you dedicate a whole turn to removing it.

The Cleric looks at you, the pity in her eyes palpable. She lifts her mace and a floating lights circle it before seeming to melt into the metal and give it a light glow.

She hold her hand out to you and you can see light now beginning to form at her fingertips.

>Remove the knife in your foot
>More throwing knives!
>Beg for mercy
>Write-In
>>
Rolled 4 (1d20)

Rolling for you being rekt by Cleric.
>>
>>931204
>More throwing knives!
>>931206
Looks like we both suck.
>>
>>931204
>More throwing knives!

>>931206
At this rate, the Light Kings and Shrouded Lords are just going to off both of us themselves to stop this from being more embarrassing.
>>
Round 2.
Another d20 for throwing knives
>>
Rolled 17 (1d20)

>>931235
Let's crit fail so we get the other foot.
Gotta be thorough
>>
Rolled 19 (1d20)

>>931235
>>
Rolled 1 (1d20)

>>931235
Rolling for other foot
>>
File: 1469093313311.png (66KB, 317x284px) Image search: [Google]
1469093313311.png
66KB, 317x284px
>>931247
>>931256
>>931260
...shit
>>
File: download (2).jpg (14KB, 241x210px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
14KB, 241x210px
>>931264
>>
Determined to at least not embarass yourself you grasp for another knife. The pain from your foot causing sweat to pour into your eyes but your desire for survival reaffirms you.

You grasp the knife by its cold blade and fling it with all your might, you watch it fly, tumbling in the air and imbed itself in her palm. Going straight through it.

She screams in agony as the magical energy in her fingers disperses. She grasps the knife and rips it from her hand whimpering, before looking at you. Now pure hatred in her gaze.

Removing the knife took up her turn, you're up.

>Even more knives!
>Remove the knife from your foot
>Write-In
>>
>>931306
Thank goodness ones don't take priority it seems.
>>
>>931306
I want to make a joke about the QM throwing us a bone, but I also don't want us to die horribly.
>>
File: 1469636687284.jpg (22KB, 480x433px) Image search: [Google]
1469636687284.jpg
22KB, 480x433px
>>931326
Good call.
I at least want you fucks to survive the first encounter. So I can maim you later with cooler characters.
>>
Rolled 16 (1d20)

You grasp the throwing weapon by its leather handle and withdraw it, the pain is maddening. But you do it, breathing heavily you look up.

The Cleric is rushing at you! A mad look in her tells you she has frenzied, no compassion in her now narrowed eyes. With her mace raised she closes in.

>Dodge (+5 for class skill)
>Counter Atrack with Rapier (+5 for proficiency)
>Counter with Throwing Knife (+5 for proficiency)
>Write-In

You must outroll the Cleric to succeed.
>>
>>931370
>Dodge (+5 for class skill)
Dodge everything
>>
>>931377
Roll a d20 with that
>>
>>931370
>Dodge
Remember, maces are weak to dodgy bullshit.

Starting with two 1s and a 3 came hilariously close to "grayswandir generating on the chaotic pc's tile" tier though
>>
Rolled 9 (1d20)

>>931383
>>
Rolled 15 (1d20)

>>931383
Check out this sweet one.
>>
You bend your knees slightly and await the raging Cleric. As she gets close she lets out a primal roar telegraphing her coming attack.

You spring forward in a tight front roll and evade the mace as it comes crashing violently with the mossy stone where you once stood.

Once you regain your footing you turn crouched and see her lifting the enchanted mace from the ground.

>Gather some distance
>Throwing Knives
>Backstab with Rapier
>Write-In
>>
>>931453
>Backstab with Rapier
>>
Rolled 13 (1d20)

>>931453
>Backstab with Rapier
Sneaky bastards are so satisfying when they pull shit like this off.
>>
>>931457
Roll a d20
>>
Rolled 17 (1d20)

>>931486
We're going to have a rep because we stabbed ourselves in the foot aren't we.
>>
>>931492
This is a roguequest; play it up to make people underestimate us. Turning weaknesses to your advantage is Roguing 101.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d20)

Saving throw for the Cleric.
>>
>>931516
She trips backwards into our blade huh?
Would that make this assisted suicide?
>>
File: why.gif (858KB, 240x228px) Image search: [Google]
why.gif
858KB, 240x228px
This Cleric is about to be fucked.
>>
>>931516
>>931525
There were no winners in this ridiculous battle, just those who survived immense bullshit, and those who did not.
>>
You rush forward with your rapier extended, it's point gleaming.

The Cleric spins around and throws her mace up to try and deflect your blow, unfortunately for her the massive weight of her swinging the mace upwards knocks her off balance.

She begins falling backwards as you continue to bear down upon her as she stumbles, her heels catch one of the stones and she starts to go over the edge.

Even though her fate is sealed you'll be damned if a fall kills her, you dash to ensure you're nearly face to face as you grasp her collar and haul her forward, thrusting your rapier through her eye socket and out the back of her head.

You let go and she slowly slides off the end of your blade and silently falls into the misty void below.

You sheath your bloodied blade and feel the warmth begin to surge through you again.

"Amazing, the fool who stabbed himself in the foot turns out to be a true killer." Says the disembodied voice again

"As a reward I will heal your wounds, and allow you one wish from your Gjin. Use it wisely, I wouldn't waste it on asking to go home either. Your next trial will be a test of cunning. Good luck." A long drawn out chuckle follows and you find yourself in a well decorated bedroom.

The massive bed contains comfortable pillows and soft silk sheets. Red velvet couches are on both sides of the room and a fully stocked bar is also here.
Last but not least a hot bath sits in the center of the room emits steam and it is surrounded by thin nets. It reminds you of the Sulimic Brothels you would spend your time in during the rests between jobs in the area.

Your Gjin materializes from the steam.

"Quite the estate you've been given. Seems this Shrouded Lord can see exactly what it is you want, I unfortunately, require you to say it. I've been given the power to grant one wish, within reason of course. I can't warp reality, especially in this realm so keep that in mind."

>Make your wish
>>
>>931583
If nobody has any better ideas, and we're proficient in their use, I'd say wish for a variety of poisons to use on our blades.

Don't really know the limits of the wish though; could be we can wish for that and better blades too or something.
>>
>>931596
Yeah I'd be down for poisons.

Ideally either alot of poison or have them be very potent.

Though I'd also like to ask if we could get a better weapon and if we did how it'd be improved
>>
>>931596
>>931599
Right, remember to wish blessed poisons, if that attribute means anything.

And cut off his inevitable snark about stabbing ourselves in the foot again.
>>
"I'd like poison. A variety of poisons for my blades." You say confidently

The Gjin smiles a sinister smile.
"Oh how hilarious it would be to watch you meticulously poison a blade only to chuck it into your foot." The Gjin laughs as he holds out his hand and smoke forms around it before a sma black belt containing a multitude of vials appears. You recognize them from your work, most are toxins that kill quickly and silently but you also recognize a single antidote and a paralysis potion as well.

You tie the belt on and climb into the bed and immediately fall to sleep as nightmares plague your rest.

You awake in a new building. Atop a dirty mattress you sit up looking around, the dry air makes the sweat from your sleep sticky on your head. The street bustles from under your window, the market place filled to the brim with people. A piece of parchment is held to the door with a long filet knife.

"Assassin. It is time to test your cunning, a man is hunting for you in this city. You don't know him, but he knows you. If you can identify this man and end him before he ends you. Of course you coukd just kill someone randomly but the city guard wouldn't take kindly to that I'd assume."
-Your Lord in Grey Shrouds

You are being hunted by an unknown assailant. Fortunately you've hunted many a time yourself so finding a man who fits predatory patterns should help.

>Go out onto the balcony
>Enter the market from the streets
>Climb to the roof
>>
>>931661
>Enter the market from the streets
Firstly we should make ourselves easy to find.
Then start going to more and more isolated places till it's just us and them.
Paying attention to anyone following us
>>
>>931665
Lure them in, eh?

Might work, unless he's going to snipe us from a distance. Keep to cover, and be wary of windows and doors, especially open ones.
>>
>>931341
Nah the way to do it is we kill ourselves then Play the character that killed us
>>
You decide to enter the market place and walk brazenly among everyone and throgh the few breaks of people ensuring you are seen by most.

You look around the crowd and dont really see anybody displaying that they are hunting for you, large tan towers of stone surround the town square, they make you feel uneasy.

You keep walking and hear a commotion behind you, sounds like a petty squabble.

>Look at the towers
>Turn to see what the squabble is about
>>
>>932733
Might be him, or might be a trap he set up to distract us while he comes from another angle.

Move out of the crowd into an alley or something with cover from both the towers and the squabble, and take a peek at the squabble.
>>
>>924831

This is a lot like Blacksite Quest, but with less sex.
>>
>>932784
this
>>
You duck into a nearby alley pressing yourself against a wall and lean around the corner.
You see a man with a blue cloth vest and dirty bandages wrapped from his palms up to his elbows. A merchant is pointing at him yelling in a foreign language.

A guard with an iron scimitar drawn puts a hand on the man's shoulder, you watch has the man spins around slamming his fist into the guards temple. A wet squelch echoes in the now silent market and the guard falls with a pulpy bleeding dent in his head.

You gasp at the brutality and catch the attention of the man. He turns and you can see the symbol of the Light Lord Rylin commonly worshipped by monks who use hand to hand combat as weapons detach from the emotion of battle.

He locks eyes with you and yells "My target I presume. I'll make this quick if you just stay still." He says approaching. He slams his fists together and you see the skin seem to slightly splinter and crack with orange light seeping through.

>Assume defensive position
>Attack first
>Throw a knife
>Retreat
>>
>>940900
We'll this is easy were a unassuming citizen and he is a criminal retreat and defend ourselves. Calling for guards and heading towards more guarded areas such as palace castle and or guard barraxe. Once we have sufficient back up we eliminate him.
>>
>>941299
This
I was thinking something similar
>>
>>940900
>Retreat
This is a roguelike, not a hack'n'slash. We aren't too proud to use every advantage we have.

Flee yelling for the guards- there's a murderer on the loose!

If we somehow start losing him, slow down. I'll bet he's the sort who'd love for us to look backwards for him only for us to run right into his fist.
>>
>>941456
Almost forgot, flee through the crowds. Note whether he kills them or not.
>>
You begin backing up.

"By the gods! There's a murderer on the loose." You yell as you begin to sprint down the alley

"Save your energy, no point dying tired." You hear the Monk call behind you as he begins to pick up the pace.

You run into the thick crowds and begin taking random lefts and ducking low before popping up somewhere else.

Roll 1d20 to see if you evade him.
+5 since as an Assassin Evasion and Stealth are proficient
>>
Rolled 20 (1d20)

>>941533
Hopefully, we'll be able to keep apprised of where he is as we flee.
>>
File: 1427401518567.jpg (61KB, 895x944px) Image search: [Google]
1427401518567.jpg
61KB, 895x944px
>>941552
I hope that's the city guard coming down on his ass hard.
>>
Rolled 1, 6 = 7 (2d20)

You turn back and see you have managed to put the entire crowd between the both of you. The Monk looks around and spots you again, scowling he takes a step but is grabbed by both sides by two guards.

You see his eyes faintly glow orange as the cracks and splits in his skin spread up his arms. Glowing more radiant.
"Release me in the name of the warrior king, heathens!" He spits

Rolling 2d20 for him to break free.
+10 with Faithful Fury

>Write in your next move
>>
File: FB_IMG_1474379940475.jpg (54KB, 506x877px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1474379940475.jpg
54KB, 506x877px
Nat 1 is not affected by bonuses.
>>
>>941645
Duck into an alleyway nearby and, if nobody's there, take the opportunity to poison our rapier with deadly poison.

If we haven't heard sounds of horror, pain, and death, pop our head back out to see what's taking him so long, otherwise return to the crowds and try to continue moving through them to inhibit him until they start to dissipate, at which point duck into an alley and do some old fashioned misdirection to try to lose him.

If he is still caught by the guards, look at him pityingly.
>>
Rolled 4 (1d20)

You watch as he pushed one guard away sending him sprawling, he tries to do the same with the other but receives the side of a kite shield to his head for his trouble amd is shoved against a wall his arm being pinned behind him.

He looks to you, fury quite literally burning in his eyes. You put your finger to the corner of your eye and drag it down your cheek like a tear drop. As he struggles again the guard pulls his blade and puts it to the nape of his neck before yelling to his prone guard companion.

You dip into the alley and pop the stopper on a vial of poison and drip it down your rapier, small curling clouds of vapor.

You sit and listen trying to hear anything that goes on.
>>
You hear a yell and screaming and turn to see the guard has imbedded his blade into the monk's lower calf. He yells and turns punching the guard off before stumbling into the crowd.

You sit and watch, the monk doesn't seem interested in finding you anymore. His eyes dart around like a cornered animal searching for a way out as he hobbles around nearly crippled by the large wound in his leg.

>Call the guards to his location
>Sneak up on him and attack
>Loudly call him out for a fight
>Throwing Knife
>Write-In
>>
>>941738
>>Sneak up on him and attack
>>
>>941738
>Write-In
Mm, let's keep our head down since we have the poisoned rapier and everything. Sheathe it if we haven't done so yet.

Tail him from a distance; I'm sure there are more guards where that came from, but we need to keep an eye on him in case he's more resourceful than we realize. If he manages to escape them, attempt to get ahead of his path and ambush him.
>>
I need a tie breaker vote or I'll roll
>>
>>941754
switching vote to this
>>
Rolled 1 (1d2)

Rollin for it.
>>
Roll a d20
+5 for a sneak attack
>>
Rolled 10 (1d20)

>>942561
>>
Rolled 19 (1d20)

>>942561
>>
Rolled 3 (1d20)

>>942944
Get fucked monk pleb. That's what you get for being chaotic
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.