[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Panzer Commander Quest #10

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 4

File: ntcq_si_10.png (375KB, 700x401px) Image search: [Google]
ntcq_si_10.png
375KB, 700x401px
You are Lieutenant Richter Von Tracht, an armor officer of Strossvald, and part time supernatural wrangler, as it turned out. Locking ghosts in vaults isn’t the usual work of a tanker, but your first days in the service have hardly been usual. You had thought that the unusual times had ended, and you could get back to the more orthodox troubles of national security and suppression of insurgencies, but no sooner had you rid yourself of one trouble than another had appeared in its place. A masked fellow calling himself Poltergeist had appeared but seconds after you had trapped the terrible soul consuming monstrosity known as a demiphantom, and had disconcertingly asked you to free it for him.

Naturally, you had refused, but even without your aide Maddalyn’s explanations you knew that this man was the sort who wouldn’t simply leave because he was asked. At the very least, he wasn’t going around eating people, but it was certain he would be up to nothing good.

The most pressing matter at this time, however, is the militant organization of Imperial sympathizers known collectively as the Dawnseekers. Attacks by their parties had stolen an unthinkable amount of military equipment, as well as taking numerous prisoners; a matter that you and your allies felt was not being responded to appropriately by seemingly lax and apathetic local military forces, who had taken no major actions against this threat. The most fighting you had any knowledge of against the Dawnseekers was the fighting you yourself had gone through; three separate encounters, one where the train you arrived on was attacked, the band you had rescued your comrades Von Metzeler and Krause from, and finally the group you had encountered on the way north of the city, in the mountains, where you had been attacked by a bunch of them wielding equipment stolen from the battalion train coming in.

There were oddities in these events, however. A prisoner you had interrogated during your most recent conflict had hinted at some sort of knowledge of the local forces’ movements; they had not expected you in that area, and claimed to have good reason to as well. Odder than that, however, was the ominous claim of finding out “everything” in a mere few days at most. With such a time limit, you concluded that the most reasonable course of action would be to delve deeper into the mystery of the Dawnseekers as soon as possible. Straight from one mission to the next; there would be no rest for the weary.
>>
Not that you didn’t have time for a quick bit of fun. Maddalyn had seemed somewhat dissatisfied with your decision to shut the demiphantom inside the secret facility, instead of leaving her in to most likely either be eaten by the demon or killing her with the blast from the hellfire’s core exploding, destroying the evil spirit once and for all.

“What, not even a peck on the cheek?” you say with mock derision to her, “I sort of saved your life, after all.”

Maddalyn flushed nearly as bright red as her hair, and looked away, flustered. “W-w-wait, n-not here…”

“I promise not to watch too much,” Hans, one of your crew, sneered from below. Stein simply closed his eyes and sighed. Maddalyn was fidgeting disconcertedly as Hans whistled at her. “Hey, princess, you’re in my spot. Unless you want to start lugging shells around.”

Maddalyn looked back at you one more time before obliging and climbing back down into the radio operator’s position. Your red haired (and faced) fiancée was replaced with your crass radio operator turned loader, making up for his inability to relieve his stress on the radio with even more banter than usual.

“Your flunky wanted to plan what we were going to do, by the way,” Hans informed you, referring to Von Metzeler in a way that would never pass were he in the same space as you two. “Said that we should move back into the city to get a few things, but if you have different plans, I can, well, the ginger midget can tell him.”

“Richter!” Maddalyn whined, “Your crewman is calling me rude names!”

You struggle to not roll your eyes. Maddalyn couldn’t notice if you did it, but Hans did not share her condition, and he would surely inform the girl of your gesture.

>Go back into the city to plan a larger operation against the Dawnseekers
>Hunt down the last group you encountered; best to not leave them to lie
>The Imperial Gate’s garrison is near here, in their mountainous camps; go and check on them, and perhaps ask them what they’ve seen; you will have to abandon your armor temporarily to climb to them, however.
>Other

>Previous threads link pastebin: http://pastebin.com/UagT0hnh
>twitter is @scheissfunker for updates and scheduling
>>
>>920797
Go back into the city to plan a larger operation against the Dawnseekers
>>
“No, that’s fine,” you say, “There isn’t much we can do with what we have right now anyways. We’ll convene in a safer place where we can get everything established before we do it.”

Your trek back is not interfered with, despite your expectations. Either the militia you encountered were hiding from the devil you spun a tale about just before sealing it away, or they were hiding from you. You would prefer the latter; you did quite well for a first battle, you think. You kept a keen eye out nevertheless.

You passed back through the tiny town of Schoffes once again, seeing no sign of the dignitary you had dropped off there. A good thing, as a few men who couldn’t help but look suspicious had appeared since your last visit. They nervously regarded your armored vehicles.

“You’d think they’d just go over the mountains if they wanted to cause some trouble,” Stein said disdainfully, looking out a turret door view port. “Plenty of imperials over in Czeiss.”
“They’ve got forts over in the Reich too, Stein,” Hans said, “Suicide might not be their cup of tea.”

In actuality, the Grossreich’s side of its border with Strossvald was only lightly fortified. The Imperial Gate’s constructions were winding tunnels carved in the mountains, with uncountable firing ports and artillery batteries recessed behind the reliefs of the rock. Companies of Ducal Engineers were poised to obliterate the roads and bridges in the passes with pre-positioned explosives, forcing any invaders to travel off the paths and through lands dotted with all manner of mines. Deep in the fortresses also lay stores of chemical shells and tankards to be used in chemical projectors in the valleys; technically banned by most nations, but kept there as a deterrent regardless. Bertholite and Phosgene inhabited those armories, but also a foul compound called Composition F2, more colloquially known as Flayer Gas.

Feared by all who had seen its work, Composition F2 caused the skin to blacken and peel upon contact with its vapors; victims’ skin would slough off with a touch. It was actually quite poor at killing if its targets were wearing masks, but it caused suffering so hideous that only months after it saw use in combat it had been banned by all nations.

In contrast with the invincible natural and manmade walls protecting Strossvald from its Imperial neighbor, the Reich’s defenses against her eastern neighbor consisted of but some concrete bunkers and earthworks, with defenses that were only ever lightly manned. You had heard frustrated accounts from garrison officers fresh from their time on the Imperial Gate that their foes did not fear them, or even act like they existed.

“You didn’t have to go that deep into it,” Hans grumbled at your lecture, “You could have just said they don’t have shit on the other side.”
>>
Partway through the city, Von Metzeler asked you to stop over the radio.

You let your legs hang out of the turret as Rondo Von Metzeler approached.

“There are a few things I need to get from the shops here,” he tells you. “Tools for gathering evidence and for infiltration. I will need…two hundred strossmarks, probably. I left my wallet on the train we Kreuze and I escaped; I will need some financial help.”

“Two hundred strossmarks!” Stein blabbed from inside. “That’s almost four months’ salary!”

For him, perhaps it was. You of course earned a fair bit more than that.

“These are new and expensive instruments.” Metzeler elaborated, “We could do without, but I believe it would be a worthwhile investment.”
>What exactly are you planning to get that we can’t just get off the base?
>Figure out a way to do it for less, I left my wallet on the train too (Lie)
>Can’t we get a deal? Something like an IOU note from the army?
>Time to take one for the team, pool everybody’s cash together
>Other
>>
>>921963

What could he possibly want that needs four months pay to buy?
>>
>>921963
>>
>>921963

If he wanted to play Sherlock Holmes he should've joined the MP's; he's in the wrong service for that. What is he planning on investigating?
>>
>>921963
Lend him the money first, see if we can get the Von Blums to pay the bill later.
>>
“What exactly are you planning to get that we can’t just get from the base?” you ask, “Two hundred strossmarks isn’t a petty sum.”

“Not many things. A good camera, film, common clothing to make us less conspicuous if need be, and a large portion for bribes. To get the attention of the Intelligence Office in time for whatever that rebel said would happen in two days, we cannot use the normal methods.”

“Detectives don’t usually ride in tanks,” you observe, “Were the Military Police not prestigious enough? What are you planning on doing with all of that?”

“I was forbidden from joining the Military Police. Friends of the family disapprove of anybody who is not eating out of their hand.”

You weren’t in any deeper into the courts than was required, but you had heard of the Von Metzelers’ tendency towards darker dealings. They were a family of middle class bankers who had bought the titles of ailing nobility, and rumors whirled about when any of their dealings were discussed.

“If you are not fond of subtlety however, Von Tracht,” Metzeler went on, “Do not fear. We have a few ways of going about this business. If anything goes wrong in the more refined plan, the escape plan will involve blowing things up. No matter how we do this, though, we will need the camera and the channels opened. I have some plans which will deal soundly with this debacle of the Dawnseekers, but they require outside aid, or at least the threat of it.”

It seems that he doesn’t want to go into any specifics in public.

>Fine then, we’ll see if we can get reimbursed for it later.
>I’m sure we can get a discount of some sort. Maybe we have some fans.
>I’d prefer just stomping them flat, to be honest with you.
>Other

>>923403
I'll count this ahead as a vote for the first case in this post.
>>
>>923421
>Fine then, we’ll see if we can get reimbursed for it later.
>>
“Fine then,” you accept Von Metzeler’s demands, more concerned with whether you actually have two hundred strossmarks than actually giving them.

The grand total that you and your crew could scrape up fell far short of two hundred; among you there were twenty stossmarks and thirty two pfennigs. The terrible possibility of having to sell the trinkets you looted from what was now the demiphantom’s lair began to creep on you before Maddalyn dumped a handful of large bills into her hand. You see the color drain from the faces of your crew, save for those whose faces you couldn’t see.

“You really shouldn’t carry that much money,” you say.

“Richter, do you think I ever go out?” she asks haughtily, “Uh, go out alone, I mean.” She hastily added.

You deem the correct answer here to be no answer.

“Excellent,” Von Metzeler said with the first hint of pleasantness you had ever heard out of him as you handed him the cash. He didn’t question how you got it all together just from your crew, nor why so much of it was in relatively large bills. “This will take me just a little while. You and the rest should go back up to the Von Blums’ villa, I will meet you there when I am finished.”

“Way ahead of you,” you went back to your tank and hoisted yourself over the hull and into the ajar turret doors. As soon as you got back into your place, however, you noticed a cloying black matter with blank, white beady eyes looking back at you from the shadows near the cannon.

It was a clutch of Hungry Darkness, spirits that fed on residual energies from souls, or so Maddalyn had told you. You look in your pocket for the pearl the ones back at the cave; or, perhaps these ones were the same ones? You had the inkling that the pearl might have been an egg. You are relieved to find this is not the case, as the pearl is flawless as the second you first laid eyes upon it.

“Wooow, that’s really pretty.” Maddalyn notices the pearl in your hand, popping into the turret. “Where’d you get that?” She seems mesmerized by the little gem.

You weren’t sure how a blind girl who could only sort of see could describe anything as pretty. “The Hungry Darkness gave it to me. I think. They left it in front of me. It isn’t some sort of egg, is it? Or a turd? Don’t say it’s a ghost turd.”

Maddalyn giggled at you, “No, it’s not anything like that. It’s…well, I don’t know, but it’s fine. Anything spirits leave behind isn’t any harm. I didn’t think Hungry Darkness could feel anything like gratitude though.”

You remember that she can’t see Hungry Darkness, as you look to it and it blinks at you.

>Kill it
>It’s no harm.
>You don’t need it creeping out your crew. Maybe you can put it in a box or something
>Other
>>
>>923484
>You don’t need it creeping out your crew. Maybe you can put it in a box or something
>>
>>923484
>Smile at it
>>
>>923484
>>
You try smiling at the creature. It doesn’t respond in any way you can recognize. You suppose it’s difficult to be expressive without a face.

As innocuous as it seems, you decide it probably wouldn’t be very good for it to be distracting the crew. While the idea of putting it in a box was simple enough to come up with, actually doing so was on a different level of difficulty. For some reason, you think that batting at a spirit with physical objects to try and prod it into a container will produce any conclusive results before you accidentally reflect sunlight near it with the metal of the chocolate tin you planned to put it in. Convincing it to go inside the chocolate box is much easier once you start using light, and the formless spirit sinks into the sweets container, not seeming to have a consistent size keeping it from going into too small a space. You shut the lid on it and stuff it into a nook.

“Richter, what on earth are you doing?” Maddalyn asks.

“Practicing my ghost hunting. The thing from earlier followed me in here somehow so I put it in an empty chocolate tin. Maybe I can give it to Poltergeist and he’ll piss off.”

“If only it were that easy.” Maddalyn sighed.
>>
Your group had reassembled back at the regimental HQ near the Von Blums’ villa atop the hill overlooking the city of Blumsburgh. It took about an hour for Von Metzeler to rejoin you, and the city rumbled with activity, the population collectively deciding that it was about time for an early brunch. You called for a meeting with the leadership, for what it was, the officers as well as Signy; despite not holding any sort of rank the three militia fighters with her followed her every command.

Von Metzeler arrived holding a box of middling size, as well as a few spare bills. He hands them back to you wordlessly.

“If everybody’s here, how about we get on with this?” You prompt Metzeler to begin.

“Indeed.” Metzeler puts the box on the ground, ”These rebels, at worst, have stolen almost a battalion’s worth of equipment, and though we have seen evidence of this, a few anecdotal accounts are far from enough to move the Archduchy’s Intelligence Office from its other priorities.” Von Metzeler opens the parcel he held; it contained a boxy little camera, about the size of a hand, as well as a couple of rolls of film. “Our previous prizes were cleaned up; our enemy clearly still cares about maintaining some level of subterfuge. I don’t expect them to purposely fight us again after our battle; we must go and seek them out, and get irrefutable evidence of their activity here.”

“While we don’t know where their bases are, Lieutenant,” Krause continues for Metzeler, “We know where a place they’ve taken is, don’t we ma’am?” He turns to Signy, who didn’t seem prepared for this to plan to count on her specifically.

She pulls in on herself, looking away, “I can’t, I mean, yes, but,” She looks at you for a moment, right into your eyes, and suddenly becomes more firm. “Yeah, I know where they could be. They’re probably squatting in our old place right now.”

“Good. We can rouse a force and try and get them to come out and fight us.” Metzeler seemed satisfied, “We will only have to fight enough to collect evidence to send to the Archduchy’s Intelligence. It will be simple; the time and place of the battle can be chosen by us; a practically guaranteed victory.”

“No, no wait,” Signy thought of something and raised her hands, “I’ll welcome a fight with the Dawnseekers but if we go straight in there, it’s suicide.”
>>
You cock an eyebrow at her. “I wouldn’t have expected that coming from you,” you remark.

Signy grimaces. “You don’t get it. The guys that came and wiped us out…the other guys we fought weren’t the real thing. They were too weak, even I could tell they were amateurs. It makes me sick to say it but…the guys who took us all out, who’re probably still around there, I’m terrified of them. They fought like nothing I’ve ever seen, and-”

“How?” Metzeler butted in, “How did they fight?” He was much more urgent in tone than his usual, serious and monotone manner.

“What? They fought, I mean, really good. I don’t know!” Signy sounded indignant.

“Tell me what happened, please,” Metzeler insisted. He had never said please to anybody, not that you had ever heard about. “Were they aggressive? Did they prefer certain tactics?”

Signy looked troubled, grasping her chin between a finger and her thumb, but eventually gave an answer. “They would charge forward while they kept everybody’s heads down with the tanks’ machine guns. Then they’d use knives on the ends of their guns to stab people, right after throwing bombs into our places. They’d just charge right into people and run them through, shouting. A lot of us got scared and ran when they got so close, and when they started running they’d get shot.”

“Damnation.” Said Von Metzeler with sudden anger, putting his hand over his face. “Just like the ones at the train when we arrived.”

“What do you mean?” Krause asked, befuddled. “I don’t know how that tells us much. The people who attacked the train were fiercer, that’s all I can think of.”

“If it was mere ferocity alone there would be no reason to be concerned,” Von Metzeler glances at you from the corner of his eye beneath a palm, “Von Tracht, you know what this means, do you not? Inform our less well informed of the significance of their fighting style.”
>>
You had, in your extensive studies of military tactics and history, read about the application of the bayonet. It had seen increasingly less use on the battlefield, but during the time of the first Kaiser of Czeiss, Alexander, the bayonet had been an important tactical implement.

Not due to its deadliness, certainly, because throughout history very few battles, despite numerous bayonet charges, ever resulted in a clash of two sides fighting in formations bayonet against bayonet; the overwhelmingly common occurrence was one side breaking and fleeing when the other closed. This made it a useful tool not for dealing death, but for taking ground, a vital element of battle.

Close combat made an odd resurgence during the Emrean War, when accurate long ranged artillery rendered systems of trenches the only safe ground, thus the most significant fighting took place in them or trying to get to them for much of the war. Both sides developed tactics for these close in situations, often involving shattering enemies with grenades before storming in with either bayonets or crude hand weapons.

>This group is clearly made up of crazy berserkers.
>The Dawnseekers that attacked you didn’t have ammunition.
>The militia in that area, that attacked you and the train, they weren’t “militia” at all.
>Other
>>
>>924206
>The militia in that area, that attacked you and the train, they weren’t “militia” at all.

Really old school soldiers, huh?
>>
>>924206

They're clearly stormtroopers of some sort, they have to be from a different nation's army we just don't know which one
>>
>>924206
>Ask if they employed shovels in close combat
>>
>would have had this out earlier but I had to get something else done, also ayy trip

“Signy, can I ask what sort of weapons they used?” you ask offhandedly, “Did they use, for example, shovels?”

“Shovels?” she asked blankly, “I guess? A few of them had little spades, but I didn’t think much of it.”

“It sounds like they aren’t militia at all. They’re professional soldiers from somewhere, possibly ones with a lot of experience.”

“I thought that as well,” Metzeler supports your theory, “If they’re real soldiers that means another nation is interfering in the region here. Any concrete proof of their real identity, combined with what they’ve perpetrated, would lead to an investigative team within the day; enough to surely foil whatever plans these warbands have.”

“Now wait a minute,” Krause says nervously, “Are you sure you want to spook the Intelligence Office like that? If there’s soldiers from another nation’s army messing about on our soil, it might make them declare a need for the Domnen Procedure. Maybe we could try something else that doesn’t tempt the Intelligence Office to do anything too dangerous.”

The Domnen Procedure was preclude to all-out war. It involved forcibly relocating all descendants and immigrants of whatever nation or nations were most dangerous, or if relocation was impossible, extermination. The extermination procedure had never been executed, however; Strossvald’s common enemies were her neighbors that were not the Reich, and were relatively weak opponents.

“If there are enemy soldiers,” Metzeler keeps his tone level, “There might be a need for something that dangerous. We do not have the time to try and come up with the perfect balance of healthy concern and alarm.”

“Rondo, you know where my family comes from!” Krause protested, “Do you expect me to take that risk?”

“We don’t know whose army these soldiers are with,” Metzeler says defensively, “You are not necessarily in danger.”

“Lieutenant,” Krause turns to you, “I propose we do not do something so rash as attempt an attack or infiltration of the former base of the Shields of Liberty. We can find another band easily enough, and they’ll be easier to fight.”

>No, we have to get to the bottom of this. We have two days, we can’t beat around the bush.
>We don’t have to give everything to the Intelligence Office. We can just find what we need.
>You’re right, there’s easier and less dangerous ways of going about this. We’ll find another target.
>Other
>>
>>924592
>We don’t have to give everything to the Intelligence Office. We can just find what we need.
>Try to recall which of the surrounding nations had engaged in warfare lately. Those soldiers had to get their experience from somewhere.
>>
>>924805
Supporting

but if it comes down to it we can't just not let them know where the greatest threat is coming from just for one soldier's family
>>
>>924805
Same. Also ask Kruse which country his family came from.
>>
File: ntcq_continentmap.png (640KB, 1400x1147px) Image search: [Google]
ntcq_continentmap.png
640KB, 1400x1147px
Well this made me go and finally redraw the borders and terrain

You think back on the numerous wars that have happened within your lifetime.

The Sosalian states, a general name for the collection of post-Reich nations on the southeastern portion of the continent, had flickered between peace and war ever since their birth. No wars were ever conclusive, however, since committing enough forces to knock out another side carried the risk of a rival nation launching an attack on their flank. These small conflicts often lasted, at most, for a few months before one side got enough of a favorable result to be satisfied with peace, or one nation hurriedly agreed to a few concessions because of a looming threat or opportunity elsewhere.

One war that could certainly be called major was the Valsten Civil War, where East Valsten and Valsten split apart from each other in a war that was almost as brutal as the Emrean War, which ended only slightly after the civil war began. Neither of these southern neighbors of Strossvald were fond of their northern counterpart, so your country had always kept up a balancing act between the two nations, supporting whatever side was losing and keeping the two states at a constant stalemate.

Valsten and East Valsten were however, not the most warlike of the Sosalian states. That title belonged to the Twaryi, who made constant attacks on the country of Ellowie. With much of its borders being on the sea, Twaryi suffered much less of a handicap of needing to keep troops on all sides. It took every chance it could to try and conquer its western neighbor, but Ellowie was a durable nation, and even in its victories, when it came to crushing their enemies in a decisive battle, Twaryi was found wanting.
>>
Strossvald’s northern neighbor, Plisseau, was hardly worthy of consideration. Plisseau was a miniature diorama of the whole of Sosalia itself, a collection of many city states in constant competition with one another. The only reason it could be said that Plisseau wasn’t in a constant state of civil war was because Plisseau had refined civil war to a state that business flowed from city to city, gracefully avoiding the waves of warfare so that even if war raged in one section of the country, everybody had long since moved to safer places.

Strossvald’s eastern neighbor, Netilland, had caused trouble in the past, but rarely dared to attack Strossvald because of Strossvald’s close ties with Baou. Baou and Strossvald had a history of cooperation, and Netilland was loathe to provoke either, instead trying its luck to its other borders.

Sosaldt was largely lawless, with vast stretches of barren lands battled over by various warlords who would frequently cross borders to other nations to loot and pillage, much to the world’s annoyance. Any intrusion to Sosaldt to deal with the problem, however, had the result of uniting all of its criminals and mercenaries and warlords against the invaders, as the aristocracy that ruled only in name from their high walled cities would give great bounty to all who defended the “nation.”

The Reich was the only nation that had engaged in decisive warfare, forcefully annexing two smaller northern nations that had split away in the chaos immediately after the Reich had lost the Emrean War. When the youthful Kaiser Henrik took the throne, after settling the internal turmoil within the country, he had immediately set out on campaign and handily defeated the two small nations, despite Emrean materiel and volunteer assistance. Both the Reich and Emre had suffered terrible damage to their populations in the Emrean war, and although the damage had healed somewhat, the Emreans in particular were terrified of another colossal war; especially given how relatively easily their token forces had been swept aside trying to foil the Kaiser’s newest conquests.

Soldiers with some level of experience could truthfully come from near anywhere, but if you were to guess based off proximity, the easiest place for the soldiers to come from would have been the Grossreich, which lay just across the mountains from Blumsburgh, which itself was in the northwest corner of Strossvald; the Delsans to the north had little ambition for conquest from within their mountainous borders.
>>
“Say, Krause,” you wonder, “Where does your family come from?”

“I don’t think you’ll like the answer to that question,” Krause warned.

“The Reich.” You say without flinching.

“My family fled here after the loss of the Emrean War destabilized the country. I have no love of the lands of my forefathers, you must understand. It’s all in the past as far as me or any of my family is concerned, but it certainly isn’t of no concern to the Archduchy.”

“Don’t worry,” you reassure Krause, “We don’t have to give everything we find to the Intelligence Office if there’s some things that would be bad to reveal all at once. All we have to give them is exactly what’s needed and nothing more.”

It was a hollow statement, and you felt Krause knew it as much as you did; one man’s familial misfortunes couldn’t stand in the way of national security, but you wanted to be on your comrade’s good side for the time being.

Signy spoke up, “Anyways, I know a way we could get close without just busting our way in,” You found it odd she seemed to ignore all that was said about Krause’s ancestry, considering her spite for the Reich’s sympathizers in Blumsburgh. “There’s a contact I know about in the city who might be able to tell us a few things, maybe even set us up for a sneakier way of doing this. I’ll just need Tracht for it.”

“If Von Tracht goes with you,” Von Metzeler said, emphasizing the ‘Von’, “Who will command our expedition to reconnoiter the area? His skills are best used on the battlefield.”

“If I have Tracht with me I’ll be more convincing. My contact will obviously be reluctant after what happened; he needs to know there’s strong people on his side.”

>Metzeler and Krause will be fine on their own, they’re plenty capable. Go with Signy and meet her contact.
>You were never much for socializing. If Signy needs support she can take Metzeler or Krauses (Your pick)
>Why not have everybody go meet this person? Scouting can be done later.
>Other
>>
>>927746
>Metzeler and Krause will be fine on their own, they’re plenty capable. Go with Signy and meet her contact.
>>
>>927746

Hah, Metzeler wants us to command now! It seems we have made an impression on him.
>>
>>927746
>>
Von Metzeler seems annoyed at your decision, but accepts it. You go to your crew to inform them of the plan for now. They aren’t exactly comfortable with the decision either.

“I’ll be fine as long as I don’t get officer tightass,” Hans shrugs. “The other one doesn’t stink of richer than thou.”

“Deshteenk ahffit ffyuuno kommplyen,” Malachi said in an unintelligible accent.

“Because that one is a girl.” Stein said for Hans. How he could understand your driver was a mystery.

Maddalyn looked morose. “It won’t be that long, will it?”

“Relax, we don’t bite,” Stein tried to joke. “The commander’s got business. You’ll get used to it in this line of work.”

Maddalyn chewed on a side of her lip. “Yeah, I guess.”

She was the last to climb back into the tank as you left and your two subordinate officers passed by.

“You didn’t just bring me here to have coffee with you, did you?” you sniff at the coffee, black as tar. Signy had taken you to a coffee house, a quaint place in a relatively quiet part of the city, but still packed with patrons and drenched with the scent of butter and pastries as well as the bitter tangy scent of coffee. Signy had immediately ordered both of you biscuits and coffee, without waiting for your opinion on the matter.

Coffee was a relatively young drink, popular with the lower middle classes, made from the seeds of a plant from a continent south of the Grand Maelstroms. The Grand Maelstroms were immense storm belts which divided the world for decades at a time, before dissipating for almost as long. You had never studied deeply into world history, but you knew that the Maelstroms would cut off continents, only to reveal entirely new nations once they vanished; some saw potential in submersible vessels, but all proposals to cross the storms were shut down by pointing out the submarines’ need to come back to the surface for air; an impossible feat when the surface of the sea thrashed like a swarm of dragons. Despite the shifting identities of the nations abroad, the ecology at least never changed. A few fragments of the other continents that had been brought back during times of calmer seas were reminders that the rest of the world existed at all, such as the hardier coffee varieties that were able to thrive on the continent you called home.

That said you, like many others in nobility, thought the effort needed to make coffee a fixture of life was an incredible waste given the existence of tea. Yet here in front of you was this harsh, bitter culmination of numerous transcontinental expeditions, careful breeding and agricultural experimentation.

“Aren’t you going to put any cream and sugar in that?” Signy pointed a little spoon at your cup, and ignored your question, “It’s too bitter without cream and sugar.”

>I’d have preferred tea, you know.
>Naturally. I must confess that I have somewhat of a sweet tooth.
>Do I look like a little girl?
>Other
>>
>>927870

Captcha was tea. It knows.
>>
>>927870
>>
“I’d have preferred tea, you know,” you grumble while watching the steam of the hot coffee pirouette in the air.

“Tea’s got no taste,” she jabbed her spoon at you while sipping at her coffee, “This place’s stuff is great. You should at least try it.”

An adventurous taste yields a flavor so strong that it refuses to leave your tongue even after you’ve swallowed it. You feel your face contort itself involuntarily.

“I said to put cream and sugar in it!” Signy looked slightly amused.

“Where is this contact?” you ask impatiently.

“His name is Anders, and he was a friend of my father’s.” She picks a sugar cube from a dish and tosses it into your coffee with a little splash, “It’ll take him a little bit to get here. We’ve got time to talk.”

“About what,” you say with no tone. As you lean back she leans forward.

“Come on, I want to know more about you. We’re been in a fight together, right? That has to count for a little.” She thinks for a second then smiles, “How about your name? You’ve got a fancy name, tell me about it. You must be related to somebody famous.”

Truth be told the truly great Von Trachts of the Silver Lances were long gone. Your grandfather as well as your father had been men of peace, not that it helped their fame or fortune in any way. Your uncle, on the other hand, was a much more interesting character to you; despite his odd disappearance after his disownment.

>Tell her that your family’s a bit dull these days. They might not be exciting, but they are respectable.
>Regale her with the story of your uncle Heller Von Tracht’s exploits against Sosadtlian Raiders. He was more the sort you admired.
>Try and flip the question back on her
>Other

misleading typo corrected
>>
>>927949
>Regale her with the story of your uncle Heller Von Tracht’s exploits against Sosadtlian Raiders. He was more the sort you admired.
>Then tell her that the rest of your family’s a bit dull these days.
>>
>>928072
Seconded
>>
>>928072
Supporting
>>
>>927949
Not to put a rain on this, but didn't we already tell her about our family when giving her that verbal smackdown a few threads back? Either way:

>>
>>928815
This is in a less general context. I could have been more specific about that, though. More the who than the what.

You tell Signy that most of your small family is rather dull these days; your more storied ancestors were long dead, and what remained was mostly inactive in deciding the course of history.

Your uncle, Heller Von Tracht, however, was a different story. He had never married or settled down, leaving you as the sole inheritor of the Tracht house, but he had made much more of a name for himself.

You hadn’t met with your father’s brother very often; only once or twice; he wasn’t well received around the manor. He didn’t act like one of his bloodline should. Heller Von Tracht was known for crude language, drinking, gambling, and fighting. Oh, but what a great warrior he was, those who once associated with him would say, when he wasn’t hitting on anything wearing a dress, or punching the sons of higher nobility in the face.

Heller had made a name for himself in the early days of Strossvald’s armor corps, when the military was just beginning to appreciate the potential of tanks. He was a tank commander like you were…well, not exactly. You had been trained in the academy and assigned your vehicle and crew. Heller was not officially trained in use of armor at all, and had “appropriated” some armored vehicles in a way that he surely would have been court martialed for, were it not for what he did with them.

Heller Von Tracht had been assigned to the border with Sosaldt, a country largely ruled by anarchy and brutality. Warbands and petty bandits filtered over the border constantly, sometimes in hosts strong enough to throw the provincial lord into a panic. The armies would march, only to find nothing for their trouble as the southern war bands simply fled in the face of a much stronger opponent.

Some say that one day, a particularly large and coordinated group of brigands who called themselves the Fangs (a confusing classification since that was the name of at least eighteen other groups recorded) had ravaged a village, and razed Heller’s favorite tavern. Others said that one of his favorite girls was kidnapped, while those with a less healthy opinion of him simply said it was an excuse to go out and kill something. In any case, Heller went out over the border with six rickety old tanks bought from the ailing Reich; Pw-2s and 5s, little more than steel boxes with machine guns sticking out but respectably swift, and sought out the Fangs’ camp. The Fangs were caught completely off guard, and one hundred fifty were slaughtered and routed by only twenty one. Their leader was captured by Heller and brought to the local lord, who had the brigand prince summarily executed.
>>
Despite the displeasure of the military at Heller’s blatant theft of military equipment, he could not be punished; he had become extremely popular with the people in a single night.

Heller repeated his famous first outing many times, in long ranging raids over the border, and soon enough the people on the border knew peace like they had never known.

After a few months, however, Heller was accused of perpetrating banditry on the other side of the border. Dozens of weeping witnesses appeared, with disgusting testimonies of Heller and his soldiers’ misdeeds. Little physical evidence appeared, but it was enough for Heller and his men to be expulsed from the army dishonorably. Beyond that, nobody knew what happened to him. When you had asked your father, he merely said that Heller had “gone traveling.” All that was known was that he was no longer in Strossvald.

Although your ambitions had lain with joining the Silver Lances, the Archduchy’s particularly devastating way of responding to aggression from other countries, you would also have been satisfied with quashing the banditry of Sosaldt, like your uncle had.

Signy was utterly spellbound by your story. “But he didn’t really do any of that, did he? He doesn’t sound like the type! A hero of the people would never do any of the things he had been accused of.”

Heller’s rude manners had been one of the things that had been counted against him; as far as the courts were concerned, he was practically a caricature of the “type.”
>>
“You nobles and your ‘manners’,” Signy said ruefully, “I mean, you seem a little different, but the rest of you are so out of touch with anybody below you. That story you just told me is just an example. If things were done the right way around here, Heller’d have nothing but medals.”

“The right way?” you ask.

“Democracy, of course,” she says, beaming, “Every person has a say in their fate, and it doesn’t matter what your blood is or how much money you have. In Naukland, as long as you work, you can vote.”

It was probably intentional that she brought up Naukland, even though you had heard some say that there were more specific terms for it than “democracy.” Not that you had read anything of it besides the official name of the country being “The Federal Republic of Nauklands.” Sosalia in general, the name for the area between the Reich and Naukland, wasn’t exactly a shining example of the merits of democracy. Plisseau to the north was a collection of democracies at constant war, both Valsten and East Valsten’s governments were notoriously corrupt and run by merchant corporations, and Netilland’s Senate had no power over the constituent states. Despite your lack of in depth knowledge of these situations they were infamous enough that even you had heard of them.

>Strossvald is doing perfectly well. Power belongs in the hands of people with the knowledge and responsibility to wield it.
>Is a democracy really needed, though? It isn’t as if most of the people of Strossvald are wanting for it
>Democracy is certainly the way forward, even the worst democracy is superior to rule by the privileged
>Other
>>
>>929809
>And what of the damage those too ignorant of their newfound liberty might cause? Millworker Berns and Farmer John won't understand the workings of the state as well as, say, a nobleman or university graduate. They will follow either the loudest or most charismatic voice, or rely on their own limited perspective of the things no matter how inherently selfish that might be. That's not to say that the viewpoint of the working class isn't valuable, because I agree some reforms to give the people more a voice in the government is ideal, but the inherent dangers of inevitable corruption have coloured my perspective.

I picture Richter as someone who sees the merits of reform but yet retains enough of the noble outlook and pride that while he recognizes that things are pretty shit in Strossvald, he thinks of the nobility as the lesser of evils when compared systems. Though he doesn't want to admit it, obviously.
>>
>>929943
Supporting
>>
“Liberty can be dangerous in the hands of those unfamiliar with it,” you ruminate, “Millworker Berns and Farmer John won’t understand the workings of the state as well as, say, a nobleman or university graduate. They’ll flock to the loudest or most charismatic voice, and rely on their own limited perspective of things, even if that isn’t what’s best for everybody.”

“That could happen, yeah,” Signy admits, “It’d be better to have somebody you could remove from power that’s like that, though, than somebody you can’t.”

“It’s not that the viewpoint of the less informed have no value though,” you continue, “the state is nothing without the working class, so they deserve some say in governance. I can’t help but be influenced by how relatively easily they can be influenced because of their lack of knowledge, though.”

Signy leans her head on her arm, “There’s always going to be problems, but I think the bigger ones should be dealt with…oh, there he is.” She pointed to the door, where this Anders character was entering.

Anders was a weedy, bookish looking man. He crept into the café carefully, looking to and fro for enemies unseen. His little eyes were hidden by small, black-tinted spectacles propped atop a crooked nose. He eventually made his way over to you after taking a circuitous route around a few people that might have been assassins, in his mind.

“Miss Vang,” his voice sounded as withered as a man twice his apparent age, “I didn’t expect to see you again.”

“We’re a little harder to get rid of than that,” Signy said back.

“Don’t be so flippant. Don’t you know how dangerous this is?” every other word was an anxious rasp from Anders, “Especially after the ambassador was attacked. The Imperialists had finally calmed down, and now they’re on the warpath again!”

“That wasn’t us!” hissed Signy, “we actually saved him!”

“No you didn’t,” Anders corrected her with a harsh cough, “The military did. Even if that isn’t entirely accurate, that’s how it’s being passed around. Now the Imperalists’ Militants are hunting for republicans again. They’re trying to sniff out their scent, as well as anybody close to them.”

“I wouldn’t have called you if it wasn’t important, you know that,” Signy insisted, “I need to you do that thing you said you could do for us.”

Anders’ expression became statuesque, and he looks to you. “This person…”

“My boyfriend.” Signy says.

Wait, what? You weren’t made aware of this.

Anders looks skeptical. “How much does he know?”

“Enough.” Signy says firmly.

“I’ve never heard of him before. How long have you known each other?”

“Er,” Signy said and glanced over to you.

>A few weeks. Her father wouldn’t have approved, so it was secret.
>A day. I found her after she fled from the Imperialists’ attack on her base. Also, she’s not my girlfriend.
>She’s pregnant.
>Other
>>
>>931044

Long enough.
>>
>>931044
>She’s pregnant.

How could you pass this option up?
>>
>>931044
Long enough to get her pregnant, also her father wouldn't have approved
>>
“Long enough,” you say slyly, “She’s pregnant. Her father wouldn’t have approved of us.”

Signy nearly chokes. When Anders looks to her, though, she simply smiles, “Uh, yeah. I didn’t want to tell anybody.” She becomes more serious once more, “So, the thing you said you could do, way back?”

“What you speak of is a last resort.” Anders warns, “It wasn’t something that was ever meant to be used. You can’t possibly do anything with it anyways, as you are right now, there’s too few of you.”

“We’ll never have an opportunity again soon, if the Dawnseekers get their way.” Signy slammed her hand down on the table, “They’re planning something in two days or so. Have you heard anything about that?”

Anders lifted his glasses. One of his eyes did not move, as the other darted around. He gestured for you to follow him, and led you both to an uninhabited corner. A clasping of hands and a whisper with the closest diner set them walking away from where you were all going to be.

“I cannot help but be surprised, Miss Vang,” Anders laid his glasses down on the table, “Sigmund was always so distrusting of soldiers, especially soldiers as this one whom are of noble birth. He certainly complained to me plenty of them.”
>>
“I’ve got my charms,” you butt in, “The ‘thing’ Signy was talking about, though.”

“Nothing good could come of it anymore.” One of Anders’ eyes focuses on you. The other must have been made of glass, as it only looked straight ahead. “Back in the early days of the organization, the people who now call themselves Dawnseekers made a proposal to us. To join them, and together be a stronger political force. Sigmund refused, naturally, but the offer remains to this day. The plan Miss Vang speaks of is a plot to take them up on this offer…and destroy them from the inside. To undermine their ideology by converting them to one more palatable to the cause of Democracy, and take over their organization. That was only possible back when the numbers were relatively equal though, now it is quite implausible to try and overwhelm them from the inside.”

“That’s fine,” you realize the potential of this, “We don’t need to convert them. We just need to get inside.”

“That could be arranged, yes. It’s probably the only way you could catch them off guard at this point.”

“Do you know…wait, how would you know what the Dawnseekers are planning? You aren’t with them, it sounds like.” You wonder.

“I deal in information.” Anders tips his cap, “I confess that I’m biased towards republicanism, Sigmund was my friend, after all, but I hear whispers from everywhere. By the way, I’m afraid I haven’t heard your name.”

>Thie one’s a twofer

>I’m not giving my name to an information broker. I’m not quite that fresh off the boat.
> Richter Von Tracht
>Rondo Von Metzeler
>Other

>The next one, you can go for all, one, multiple. There might be questions this guy won't want to answer, or that might make him want to shut up, though.

>So what’s going on in two days? Have you heard anything about that?
>Have you heard about any large groups of people coming here from anywhere? Foreign Soldiers, for example?
>Have you heard about the trains that were attacked? What was the motive behind that, and what do they want with the equipment? Or the prisoners?
>Other
>>
>>931632
>Other
Richard Heller

>>
>>931644
Dude, he just mentioned he knows we're nobility.

>>931632
>Richter Von Tracht
>Have you heard about any large groups of people coming here from anywhere? Foreign Soldiers, for example?
>>
>>931632
>Richard Heller

>>
>>931632
>>I’m not giving my name to an information broker. I’m not quite that fresh off the boat.

>Have you heard about the trains that were attacked? What was the motive behind that, and what do they want with the equipment? Or the prisoners?
>>
“I’m Richard Heller,” you lie to him.

“Not Von Heller?” Anders raises an eyebrow just enough to be perceptible, “Not many men with no titles in the panzers. I’ve heard of a few, but not many.”

“Yes, well, nice to meet you too.” You thought it best to neglect any “Von” in your fictional name; there were no Von Hellers you knew of. “I want to ask a few things while you’re here, before we go on with this other plan.”

“If it’s for Sigmund’s sake, I am an open book,” Anders spreads his hands out to you, “I’ll quote your information later.”

Hopefully either he was kidding or his prices were reasonable. “So, what’s going on in two days? Have you heard anything about that?”

“Many things.” Anders replies, “Movement, quite a bit of it to the south, down the road through Pfier An Vin. Even stranger, it seems that there is nobody to be seen in Pfier An Vin. Not a soul, and nobody can think of the reason why all of its people disappeared. Regardless, it means that all traffic south has been barely noticeable, despite how much there is.”

“What kind of traffic?” you demand.

“Can’t say. It’s all been on cart or truck, though. Judging by the movement, though, whatever’s happening in two days is happening down south. Everything being dispersed then recollected is headed that direction; anything else is staying here.”

The tanks had to still be here, then. Something going on south didn’t answer anything about what was happening up here. You try another question. “Have you heard about any large groups of people coming through? Foreign soldiers, for example?”

Anders puts his hands together in front of him. “An oddly specific sort you mentioned there. As if you’ve a reason to think they’re here.” He lay his hands flat on the table again, “I’m afraid that sort of information isn’t so easy to speak about. Three of my informants went missing looking into just what you’re looking for right now, and although I discovered a few things, I received a very stern warning to forget anything I had found.”

“So you can’t tell us?” asked Signy despondently
“I can’t tell you directly, but I can answer questions that will help you find out.” Anders put his hands back onto his lap, “You should know, however, that if you decide to use the plan to infiltrate the Dawnseekers, you cannot look for anything connected to the soldiers. Not if you don’t want to be found out by whatever’s behind them. They’re incredibly cautious about all of this. I might be able to tell you one thing, maybe two.”

>How close are they to the Dawnseekers? Are they separate from them somehow?
>Are they soldiers from another military or ex-soldiers, like mercenaries?
>What do you know about the organization behind them? Is it a government, or is it a private interest?
>Write in (If you want a second answer, it has to be a write in, otherwise you get one of the above.)
>>
>>932011
>What do you know about the organization behind them? Is it a government, or is it a private interest?

>Were there any suspicious movings at the Reich border?

My thoughts on the matter: whatever happens down south is a distraction. The true strike will occur here, using the stolen tanks. After that we can expect an attack on the border fortifications to create a corridor for the Reich's forces.
>>
>>932011
>>932058
seconding
>>
Aight, as much as I'd like to do another thing where I run at like one or two posts a day til the next weekend then run on the same thread, I think I'm going to call it here so I can plan things out better. See you all on Friday. If this thread isn't on page 9 or something by then, we'll keep using this one because why not.
>>
>>933696
Alright. Thanks for running.
>>
>>933696
Thanks for running tanq, see you friday
>>
You think of a question that should narrow the possibilities down a bit. “What do you know about the organization behind them?” you lean in towards him, “Is it a government? Or a more private interest?”

“Yeah,” Anders says.

“Yeah?”

“I got deep enough to find out that it’s a front. It’s a government, behind the mask of an individual. A trail of useful fools and collaborators, working under a nation that isn’t their own. They’ve covered their tracks well, but not well enough.” He pulls out a pocket watch and looks at it pensively, “I’ve got time for one more question, before I have to move on this ‘merge.’”

It was time to narrow down where these people were coming from. “Are there any movements at the border with the Reich?” you ask, “Anything suspicious, trains, trucks, anything coming down the road related to all this”

“On Strossvald’s border with Czeiss? Nothing. All perfectly normal. On its other borders, oh, what’s going on there is interesting. There’s only a little too much, almost not enough to notice, but it’s there. It isn’t war equipment either, it’s indirect support. Money, migrants, raw materials…”

Anders closes the watch, “That’s all I can say right now. Ms. Vald, I’ll tell you when everything’s ready, through the usual channels. There’s one chance for this, so you’d better know what you’re doing.” He stands up and regards you both one last time, “After I pull this off, I have to leave. I appreciate everything your father did for me, what he stood for, but I’ve got a family to take care of. Maybe we’ll meet again. Farewell.”

Signy insists that you wait a while, to make you both not seem close. You’ve got at least somewhat of a lead on this, you think as Anders leaves ahead of you. Whatever’s behind all this isn’t working directly; even the nationality of the soldiers might be a front. You hoped to find out for certain when the merge was carried out and you could make your way into the Dawnseekers’ bases; some clue as to who the real culprits were. There were a few possibilities, but one possibility concerned you the most, especially here. If the Imperial Gate fell into the hands of imperial sympathizers, the Reich would have a direct shot into the heartlands of Strossvald.

You hoped that that concern was a distraction for something else, as the Reich was far and away the most formidable opponent possible.
>>
“’She’s pregnant,’ pah!” Signy expressed revulsion at your choice of bluff, “What am I supposed to be, your mistress? You should know your sort doesn’t mingle with mine.”

It wasn’t common for nobility to sully their bloodline, no, but it wasn’t unheard of. It mostly happened either with lovestruck independents who eloped with peasant girls, or those too impatient to wait for a more profitable option to turn up. To be fair, families like yours, who needed heirs from somewhere, wouldn’t turn up any fertile woman if that was the only shot at continuation they had. You don’t tell Signy this, however.

When you go outside, you see a small gathering.

A familiar figure is out on the street, surrounded by half a dozen squealing children. For a reason you could not fathom, Poltergeist was making a little wood and cloth puppet of a cat dressed as a clown dance about on the footpath. He was dressed exactly as before; apparently his dress was exotic enough that stray children had mistaken him for some sort of performer, a role he had appeared to have taken up in stride.

He’s noticed you, but he doesn’t look up at you. “Look, children,” he said in a faux hushed tone and pointing to you, “There’s a Panzerreiter. You see his hat? That means he commands tanks under the authority of your Archduke.”

The gaggle of children approached you curiously before bombarding you with excited queries.

“Have you killed anybody?” said a scrawny little kid with a gap in his teeth, his mouth hanging open.

“Can I ride on your tank?”

“Where IS your tank?”

“Why are your girlfriend’s eyebrows so big?”

“Do you have a gun? Lemme see your gun!”

They’re starting to swarm around you, their speech overlapping one another in incoherent babbling, while Poltergeist stares in your direction, shrouded by his robes and any expression hidden by his mask and hood.

>Surely things like you have better ways to occupy your time than play with children?
>One at a time, kids, one at a time. I’ll get to you all.
>Piss off. I’ve things to do other than refuse your vague deals again
>Other
>>
>>945412
Surely things like you have better ways to occupy your time than play with children?

Walk away, also he just totally blew our cover for the infiltration attempt, one of these children has got to be an informant.
>>
“Surely things like you have better ways to occupy your time than play with children?” you smirk at him, “I don’t have time for you.” You try to turn the other way and leave the soulbinder, but you find yourself facing him once more.

“Indulge me.” Poltergeist holds up a finger, “It won’t take long.”

“Do I have a choice?” you turn again, and find yourself right back in the position you were before.

“No.”

“I thought it was worth asking.” You feel your annoyance compound as the children giggle at your twirling.

“Such disdain for these little ones, you should be less standoffish to such innocent creatures. These children are pitiable. They have no idea of the hell that will rise from under their feet.” With a few quick motions, he wound up the limp cat clown and rolled it into a sleeve. “Nor do you. You believe you have an idea, perhaps, but you are deaf to the whispers of the threads of fate.”

“What’s that creepy crap supposed to mean?” Signy snapped. You were about to ask if he had really stopped you just to spout vague words on fatalism, but that worked too.

Poltergeist doesn’t respond to her. “…I prefer this girl to your other one. She at least has a healthy sense of curiosity, if not necessarily a better sense of manners.”

“Hey,” Signy stepped ahead of you and closer to Poltergeist, “I’m right here, you can say it to my face if you’ve got something to say.”

The masked man drew his hand across the air, as if opening an invisible door, and Signy’s voice faded away. Her eyes were wide, as if coming out of a dark room, and she stood motionless for a moment before falling backwards into you, eyes slowly closing. The children ooed and ahhed.

“Remember not to barge into other people’s conversations, children,” Poltergeist said, “Some people don’t appreciate interruptions.”

“Yeah, you're quite the comedian,” you hold up Signy from under her arms, “Could you undo that? She’s getting heavy.”

“Well, Richter,” the magic man put a thumb to his chin as if deep in thought, “How are these spells lifted in fairy tales?”

How did he know your name? You’re rather sure you never told him it.

“A prince’s kiss!” a pair of the little girls yelped.

“That only works on pretty girls,” a third brat whined, “Not girls with big eyebrows.” You noted that both the other two little girls had relatively substantial eyebrows compared to the third.

“Kiss her, kiss her!” demanded the two from before. The boys were making revolting faces at this.

“Well, Richter?” Poltergeist seemed quite amused, “Will you not put on a good show?”

>I’d rather not. I’m not your toy.
>Whatever. I’m not taking any blame for this, though.
>Blegh, no, girls with thick eyebrows are gross.
>Wake her back up or I’ll kick your ass
>Other
>>
>>946998
>>Wake her back up or I’ll kick your ass
>>
>>946998
>I’d rather not. I’m not your toy.
>Wake her back up or I’ll kick your ass
>>
“I’d rather not,” you try to look intimidating, “I think a better show would be me kicking your ass if you don’t wake her back up right now.”

Poltergeist stares at you blankly for a few seconds. “Did your other friend not tell you what I am? You have an admirable amount of pride and courage if you know and yet still challenge me.”

“This is my last warning,” you adopt a fighting stance. You aren’t exactly the most formidable fighter, but you’re physically fit and you’re willing to bet you’re stronger than this clown. “Undo whatever you did, or you’ll regret it.”

“Please, Richter, you don’t seem to realize how little of a threat you are to me. Don’t teach these children that violence is an acceptable answer. If you really are so offended by this, I’ll just rouse her from her slumber and be on my way, after I tell you what I came here to say.”

>I’ll hear it after I beat that mask into your skull. [Attack]
>You might be entertained, but I’m not. Say it and leave.
>You don’t seem so sure of yourself. Scared?
>Other
>>
>>947108

>>You might be entertained, but I’m not. Say it and leave.
>>
"You might be entertained, but I'm not." You're tempted by Poltergeist's smugness, but you aren't provoked. "Say it and leave."

“That was easy, wasn't it? As I wanted to tell you, Richter,” the enigmatic figure said, rubbing his hands together, “You have a pending request you can make of me. A wish, if you will, despite how unwilling you are to take me upon my offer.”

“I get a wish in exchange for unleashing a demon onto the world, after I’ve done so much to keep it from doing too much damage. Now that I’ve had some time to think about it...No, I’m still not sure that I want to make that deal with you.”

“You will be.” Poltergeist murmurs in a way that’s too self-assured for your liking. “I wanted to tell you not to think too grandly, when you think the time comes. That’s all.”

“Didn’t know you could see the future.”

“Don’t be silly. I can’t see the future any more than you can. I neglected to tell you that there were conditions before; you can’t expect absolutely anything, I’m not a god, after all.”

“I’m sure I’ll be fine without your strange deals, thank you. Now wake up Signy.”

“Of course.” Poltergeist sweeps his hands about like you’ve seen him do before, and Signy jumps up.

“What? Who? What happened?” She looks frantically about.

“One last magic trick,” Poltergeist snapped his fingers, “I’m going to make something magically appear. Are you ready, children?”

“Do it! Do it!” they shrieked as you dragged your hand across your face in despair.

“Down the path, a wheeled kettle, here comes a car all covered in metal,” the masked soulbinder rhymes to himself with a hint of musicality, before snapping his fingers.
>>
File: tcq_maploc_d.jpg (187KB, 501x501px) Image search: [Google]
tcq_maploc_d.jpg
187KB, 501x501px
The PzA-12 Armored Car that belonged to Signy’s militia suddenly sped around the corner, tipping dangerously before settling back onto the street and skidding to a halt beside you. Out of the hatch, Krause appeared, breathless.

“Lieutenant,” he leans out of the door, “There’s a situation up north. We found something we weren’t expecting.”

“Which is?” Something unexpected could either be good or bad, but you expected the worst.

“A patrol of Delsan Rangers. Two groups of armored cars, as well as accompanying infantry. We’ve stayed out of their way the best we can, but they’re coming close to an abandoned village north of Vaktheim.” He points out their rough location on a map, “We don’t know what they’re doing here, but they don’t look like they’re lost.”

Soldiers of Delsau, especially in the numbers described, were never to be found in the borders of Strossvald. Delsans were not an aggressive or warlike lot, and mostly kept to their borders. Regardless of the norm, the amount of them was intimidating. You weren’t sure of Delsan combat composition, but two groups probably meant at least a full platoon, perhaps more.

You look around for Poltergeist, but he has disappeared, along with the kids accompanying him. So much the better; you were sick of him anyways.

>Let’s go to regimental HQ and get some reinforcements, just in case.
>We’ll go back to HQ and raise an alarm. This is blatant military intrusion.
>Just take us straight back. No need to try and provoke a battle, we’ll try negotiating.
>Other

>Each grid square is 2km
>>
>>947494
>Just take us straight back. No need to try and provoke a battle, we’ll try negotiating.

The tanks ought to be able to handle them if it's just infantry if anything goes wrong
>>
>>947494
>>
You decide that it’s best to just go straight back. You had tanks, after all; you likely had a more powerful force than these trespassers. You’d clear up any misunderstandings, but if necessary, you would use your overwhelming firepower to make up for your disparity in numbers.

“Where’d he go?” Signy groggily droned. You pushed her into the car, her stumbling greeted by the salutations of her allies.

“Alright, talk to me, Junior Lieutenant,” you instruct your subordinate officer. Most people who entered the Armor Academy came out as Junior Lieutenants, but additional schooling carried with it the chance of a post-graduation immediate promotion.

“The hideout of the Shields of Liberty is around the lightly wooded areas to the east of Vaktheim,” he traced the location on the map between you, lit dimly by a flickering interior light. “We were investigating the perimeter of the area, when we encountered some locals traveling down from the north. They said they had seen strange equipment, and unusually dressed soldiers. We decided to look to the north, and that’s when we ran into them.”

“Did they see you?” you ask.

“If they did, they didn’t react.” Krause answered you, “I’ve kept in touch with Rondo, and he’s not been detected yet. We’ve kept a fair distance, but I presume we’ll have to change that.”

You would indeed have to. Unescorted visits to Strossvald’s lands were highly illegal, regardless of the reason given. Regulations demanded that they either be escorted out of the country or detained. The rules concerning what to do if a trespassing foreign military party resisted either option wasn’t abstract; whether they were “scouts” from Valsten, brigands from Sosaldt, or looters from Plisseau, Strossvald made it clear that those who did not surrender would be convinced to do so by force.

The armored car went forth at unreasonable speeds, with each turn you made either resulting in you crushing Signy or Krause against the other wall. However, at that speed, it was long before you made it to the position your 2-tank “platoon” was at. They were aligned facing northwest, among some saplings, decently covered from any would be observers.

Von Metzeler was perched atop the m/32. As soon the car stopped, you and your companions had tumbled out in a heap, tossed about by fast turns in rough terrain. As soon as you had left the roads, you had gotten entangled with one another; you were now far more familiar with Krause’s thighs than you had ever wanted to be. Your other subordinate glanced dourly down at you as you made yourselves into separate people once again.
>>
File: BDC1240.jpg (97KB, 700x385px) Image search: [Google]
BDC1240.jpg
97KB, 700x385px
“Fifty fifty chance and I get the short end of the stick…” you say to yourself, noting with disappointment that your cap’s tuft hadn’t survived the journey unscathed, more than a few hairs crushed or bent, and splayed from the center unappealingly. You heave yourself to the top of your tank to join Von Metzeler. With a look around, you deduced that you now occupied the position Krause had pointed out as the location of the Delsan force.

“So what’s the news,” you squint into the distance.

Von Metzeler hands you a pair of binoculars with a short update. “They’re definitely looking for something. They split up for a moment, and now they’ve reconvened down on the road there.” He points you to the road nearly a kilometer away down the hill. You look through the glasses of the binoculars.

When you had heard Krause say “armored cars,” you had expected relatively unintimidating fare, lightly plated vehicles with machine guns that were frightening to infantry but of no concern to tanks. You had been horribly wrong to assume such.

These armored cars were Delsan BDC-12/40s, big, ugly half tracked brutes with modified 4cm anti-aircraft turrets designed for Naukland destroyers grafted onto them, so enormous that they were almost as big as your own m/32.

“They’re armed too heavily to be a mere patrol,” Metzeler said in a stunning understatement. “There’s faster options than those if they merely wanted to look around.”

There were six of the big cars in total, along with what looked like roughly two dozen infantry, who would presumably normally be mounted. Delsau made frequent use of minimally uniformed citizen militia in manning its borders, but these men wore the puffy cream jackets of Delsau’s professional army. They seemed relatively relaxed, but nevertheless alert.

If it came down to a fight, you weren’t sure where you would place your chances. You figured that these battlewagons, despite their heavy armament, were relatively lightly armored in order to keep weight manageable. However, if they started firing, the m/28 and the PzA-12 would surely be shredded by the three round bursts of the 40mm cannons; even your own m/32 had parts of its frontal armor that would fail under withering 40mm fire, if they closed in some more.

>Send somebody out to meet them, or multiple people (Be specific)
>Wait and see where they go
>Set up an ambush somewhere and call for reinforcements
>Other
>>
>>947818

In this situation our only chances is opening fire first. I would like to avoid that and rather intimidate them by an outnumbering force.
>>
>>947818
>>
>>947864
Supporting

If they're just armored cars the .50cal equivalents our tanks are equipped with should be able to penetrate them correct?
>>
>>948152

You’re…pretty sure? They would be too heavy if they were properly armored, you wager, but the Delsans don't get into enough fights for you to say for certain.

The numbers these Delsans are throwing around are making you rather wary of simply going up and meeting them. You feel more comfortable meeting them in a situation where you hold superiority, in both position and numbers.

You order Metzeler to take command of his original vehicle again before slipping into the turret of your own.

“Your radio operator was performing sluggishly,” he criticizes before you separate, “She may be ill.”

You doubted that she was “ill”, but you said you’d keep that in mind.

“We’re saving the reunion party for later, because we’re moving now. Put me in with Regimental HQ.” Normally a Lieutenant would have nothing to do with organization that high, but your independent improvised structure as well as the larger radio this model had made such action possible. There was that, and the fact that this warranted higher response.

Headquarters was not pleased to speak with you.

“Who the hell is this?” they asked, even after you had clearly stated your name and rank. “Unless you’re a captain I don’t want to hear it. Get the hell off this line.”

You are unfazed. “There’s a foreign intrusion, by heavily armed Delsan military. Possibly two platoons, coming from the north above Vaktheim, including heavy cars.”

“You got a tank platoon right? You can handle it.”

You protest that you only have two tanks and an armored car, and more numbers would be helpful.

“I ain’t sending out tanks for a god damned Lieutenant. I don’t see why I should even have a single grenadier walk over there. If you ask nicely I’ll let you have a couple trucks full of merchants, but that’s it.”

"Merchants" referred to Grenadiers.

You request Maddalyn’s help, but you are rebuffed. “The regimental commanders aren’t people I can boss around, Richter. They’re too high up.”

There was another thing you could try, but it was a last resort. Any commissioned officer could call for a Case Thorn; the staking of one’s commission for immediate reinforcement in the event of unexpected powerful intrusions. A Case Thorn meant that a superior officer took charge of the operation immediately, however, if there turned out to be an enemy.

>You don’t need them anyways. Accept a truck of grenadiers and set up.

>Call a Case Thorn and request panzers

>Try to bluff your way into getting panzers (Write in)

>Other

Also, you need an ambush site. For reference, you’re at the red circle from earlier, looking northeast to the road where the Delsans are.

>Inside the abandoned village north of Vaktheim; you can enter it without being detected, as it’s on the other side of a shallow hill

>In the light cover overlooking the abandoned village

>Stay where you are and see if they’ll pass you by so you can come from behind

>Other
>>
>>948742
>Inside the abandoned village north of Vaktheim; you can enter it without being detected, as it’s on the other side of a shallow hill

I imagine they'll have to go through the village so just set up near the main road and catch them in a crossfire
>>
>>948742
>>You don’t need them anyways. Accept a truck of grenadiers and set up.

What if we position the grenadiers in the village and ourselves in the cover overlooking it, and set explosives in the village to kick it off? Presumably we can have the grenadiers set our scuttling charges if they don't have their own, but hopefully we can ask headquarters to tell them to bring some.
>>
>>949116
I'd support this, makes sense if the infantry is getting engaged they wont expect cannon rounds from their flank
>>
“Fine,” you acquiesce, “A truck of grenadiers will be fine. Just send them up to Vaktheim as soon as possible, please.”

Your requests were finally begrudgingly accepted, and you disconnected from HQ. No amount of preparation would be enough if they turned out to be hostile, even if that seemed unlikely. Unfortunately, despite what you considered a cunning plan to set explosives to trigger an ambush, if needed, you were denied this equipment. Apparently you didn’t rate military engineers.

You kept a close eye on the Delsan band as you sent Krause back out with the armored car to meet the Panzergrenadiers halfway, to make sure they didn’t unknowingly blunder into what could be an enemy. The Delsans did not move very much, thankfully; it seemed they were still waiting for somebody.
The Strossvald Panzergrenadiers were formed following the theory that tanks required infantry support to maximize their effectiveness, and in order to keep up with tanks, the troops must be mounted. Early armies used horse mounted infantry, but it was simpler for Strossvald to use trucks from the start. Each truck would carry a squad, and in each truck there was heavy equipment; submachineguns as well as carbines, a machine gun and an anti-tank rifle, as well as anti-tank “grenades’; less purpose designed tools and more bundles of blasting charges more suited for clearing bedrock than for use in anger.

You had heard of the Reich using Panzergrenadier units with bulletproof breastplates, but Strossvald’s High Command saw these as wastes of money and time considering these breastplates had difficulty turning away rifle rounds.

Panzergrenadier had never found much important use in Strossvald’s wars since they were formed. While they performed well independently, Strossvald’s tactical doctrine demanded that units were not to stray too far from one another, keeping the tanks and Panzergrenadier shackled to slow moving foot infantry. So much the better, as the most common officers of the Panzergrenadier were merchantmen and clerks not rich or prestigious enough to be selected for armor, and it wouldn’t do for them to have too great a potential, lest they get big heads. Nobility saw trucks as the tools of teamsters and uneducated laborers, and would not be caught anywhere near them or infantry that used them.

Soon enough, Krause had reported having met with the truck, and had guided the vehicle to you. Complaints about whose turn it was to haul the anti-tank rifle were just audible as you came around to them.
>>
“So which of you is in charge?” you ask of them.

“Sergeant Schaub,” one of the men raised a salute, “We were dispatched here to aid you, m’lord.” His face was stone hard. The middle class didn’t think much of having to call people they viewed as little better than them “lord.”

You familiarized him with your plan. He and his squad would take up positions in the old village, while your tanks would watch over them from the flank.

>They would wait for all the targets to come into view, then open fire at long range as soon as the tanks did. With luck, the Delsan’s entire armored capability would be quickly neutralized. You didn’t plan to negotiate; you had no legal requirement to.

>They would lie in wait as the Delsans closed, then surround them once they drove in. From this position of surprise, you would interrogate them, and if need be, arrest them.

>Have them lie in wait as a few people went up to meet the Delsans ahead of the ambush point. If a signal wasn’t given, it would be assumed the Delsans had not received the ambassadors gracefully, and one of the ambush plans would proceed.

>Other
>>
>>950878
>950878
>They would wait for all the targets to come into view, then open fire at long range as soon as the tanks did. With luck, the Delsan’s entire armored capability would be quickly neutralized. You didn’t plan to negotiate; you had no legal requirement to.

This is pretty sketchy and it was stated they they shouldn't be on Strossvald's soil without an escort, it's their own fault really
>>
>>950878
>>They would lie in wait as the Delsans closed, then open fire at close range along with the tanks. They should target the enemy armor with their AT rifle and explosives and should try to force the enemy infantry to surrender once the armor has been eliminated.
>>
>>950878
>They would lie in wait as the Delsans closed, then surround them once they drove in. From this position of surprise, you would interrogate them, and if need be, arrest them.
>>
>>950878
>>Then surround them. From this position of surprise, you would interrogate them, and if need be, arrest them.
>>
Okay, I woke up and took a shower just before getting an update ready and it got tied up. In the interest of keeping it fair I have another update so that something’s happening until the tie is broken. I'll probably call it soon after breaking though.

You climb back into your tank after briefing the Sergeant, as they sneaked to the village.

“So, boss,” Hans nudged you, “Just in case we end up dying this time, there’s something you ought to know.”

“You could always wait until afterwards.” You put your head back up to the cupola’s viewing ports.

“After we die?”

Yes, you thought but didn’t say.

“Redhead asked us the darndest thing when our substitute commander Tightass went out to take a better look at things.

“You promised you wouldn’t say anything!” Maddalyn immediately protested, “You, in particular, promised not to speak a word of it!”

You could hear the grin Hans had on right now, even as you weren’t looking at him. “She asked us if we thought you were cute. I told her that I didn’t swing that way, just so you know. Ow! Don’t kick me, ironing board. Gah!” He was promptly kicked again. You were tempted to look down to see how Maddalyn had contorted herself to kick Hans from the Radio Operator’s position, but you kept an eye on the town, and what you could see of the Delsans.

When they had continued to not move for long enough, you allowed yourself to engage in the frivolous chatter. Eventually Maddalyn’s blindness would have to be explained, but not right now; best to have the crew at ease.
>I’m practically a sculpture of a cherub. I wouldn’t blame you if you fell for me.

>I would prefer “handsome” and “rugged” to “cute.”

>To be frank, the lady’s tastes are confusing, I make our slurring northman driver look dashing.

>Other

-------

> You remember that you have two Hellfire shells, immensely powerful shells that are quite unhealthy for unenclosed human beings within a certain range, and can theoretically boil even heavily armored tanks with a direct hit. Do you want to put one in the breach?
>>
>>952298
>Other
Overly incredulously: "Hans, you're talking pretty familiarly with a noble lady. Are... are you trying to mask attraction with bullying?"

>No Hellfire shells for now.
>>
>>952305
They do know Maddy is a noble right? I didn't miss anything?
>>
>>952311
They do, yes.

You've been setting a bad example for enforcement of class barriers.
>>
>>952298
>I would prefer “handsome” and “rugged” to “cute.”

And >>952305
>>
>>952932
Same.Or to put it in anime terms, "Hans, are you sure you're not a tsundere?"
>>
>>953189

I hope not, I don't think our tank could handle any more tsundere than it already has to.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.