[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modern Necromancy Quest Redux: Thread Five

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 4

File: NecromancyQuest.png (259KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
NecromancyQuest.png
259KB, 1500x1000px
Continuing from the last thread. You'd just woken up and decided to focus on raising Lesser Physical Forms (skeletons) today. As a result, you elected to go to the nearby garden store and plant nursery to try to obtain aconite.
“Come with me, and keep an eye out for the imp.” You command, fishing a pair of ankle socks out of your drawer and pulling them on, following them with a pair of beat up old sneakers. Normally you’d wear your new ones, but you’re not eager to get potting soil and worm castings all over them at the nursery, and you get the feeling that squeamishness wouldn’t go over well with the old man and his brusque assistant.

You think for a moment and tuck the seed into your pocket, making sure it won’t fall out. It couldn’t hurt to have it on you when you talk to the guy, right? You head out to the garage and wheel out your bike, a fairly average road bike with slick tires and a thin frame, and enough gears to make your head spin.
You manage to pry it out from under a pile of scrap wood and a pair of your Dad’s old cross-country skis, and walk it to the front of the garage. As soon as you step outside you cast your eyes upward, searching the sky for the familiar outline of the imp...but you don’t see it. Cat looks similarly confused. You shrug—you’re sure it’ll become a problem at some point, but for now you’re just glad to have him off your tail.

You mount your bike and start peddling, rapidly picking up speed as you coast along the twisting, turning roads and approach the nursery. It’s not far, thankfully, and you’re only sweating a little when you finally roll into the parking area. It doesn’t look like there are any other customers here at the moment. You think a moment. How do you want to approach this?

>Directly. Go knock on the shop door and head inside, be upfront about what you need.
>Indirectly. Peek around a bit first, see if you can gather any info before announcing your presence.
>write-in
>>
>>883824
>Directly. Go knock on the shop door and head inside, be upfront about what you need.
We might wind up sidetracked if we don't, and whatever would have us sidetracked can wait until later, as long as nobody's bleeding.
>>
>>883857
Seconding
>>
Back from hiatus and ready to rumble!
Welcome to Modern Necromacy Quest: Redux! This time we follow Liz Shepherd from Olim, Maine, an 18-year-old high school graduate who’s just received a tome of unending horror in the mail, and is on a quest to become the best damn necromancer she can...or at least have some fun. So far we have
>Summoned a sassy cat ghost
>Claimed and secured a secret tree-house lair for all our dark needs
>gone to Portland to investigate a possibly supernatural library explosion
>failed a stealth check and got discovered by a guy digging around the library
>gotten pulled through a portal by said guy (Argus) and brought to the Seelie Court, one of two warring factions of Fae
>received an “invitation” to join the Seelie, and politely asked to meet their enemy, the Unseelie, before taking them up on it
>come home and discovered that somebody from the Unseelie is using a Stygian imp to spy on us (and quite a nice imp he was, too)
>gone to a garden store and nursery with our Dad to pick up a few things, imp and cat-spirit still in tow
>narrowly avoided eating an all-too enticing apple at said nursery
>received a small white seed from a wizened old store clerk as a result
>studied up on raising multiple summons at once and googled some good info about wards
>found out that your sister is a lying jerk and decided research was more important
>lurked moar in a chat between two real life magic users like yourself and got a tip to look for Ulysses' grimoire to learn more about warding
>got tired and went to bed

MNQR #1 - http://archived.moe/qst/thread/747132/
MNQR #2 - http://archived.moe/qst/thread/766214/
MNQR #3 - http://archived.moe/qst/thread/803791
MNQR #4 - http://pastebin.com/YbLnPSPt
>>
>>883857
>>883864
Writing now!
>>
>>883871
To celebrate, i'll work on the Goatslinger v1.0
>>
>>883929
Some other anon is here. Hijinks en route

>>883899
You take a deep breath. No sense beating around the bush on something like this. You’d only end up forgetting about your original plan and there’s only so much time in the day. Best to focus and do what you came here for. Even if it’s kind of terrifying to walk into a shop owned by a suspiciously magical-seeming old man.

So you hop off your bike and chain it to a fencepost, walking inside with your heart in your throat. It’s just as it was yesterday, a slightly earth and over-full front room, with the dark-haired girl at the desk. This time, however, she’s got a laptop, tapping away at something you can’t see. Whatever it is, it’s enough to draw a smile from the serious young woman. You clear your throat.

She looks up long enough to flash a disinterested look at you, then finishes what she was doing and closes the laptop.
“How can I help you?” She asks “Onion starts can’t have died already.”

“Ah, no...I was looking for a somewhat exotic plant, and this seemed like the best place to ask.”

“What is it?”

“Aconite. Do you have it?”
She gives you a curious look, and hops off her stool, walking out from behind the counter.

“We might. Stay here while I go look, and don’t touch anything.” She walks off, boots clomping down a hallway on the way to some to some dusty storeroom no doubt. The sound fades until the room is silent. You wonder what she was doing on that computer, and if the old man is anywhere nearby.

>Go over to the counter and take a look. She won’t be back for a while, and you’ll hear her coming in those boots.
>Stay where you are, no sense risking trouble over simple curiosity.
>Look around the area for the old man, see if he's in the back with the saplings. He was part of the reason you came here, after all.
>>
>>883946
>Look around the area for the old man, see if he's in the back with the saplings. He was part of the reason you came here, after all.
>There's no harm in a quick screen-peek though, right?
>>
>>883952
this
her fault for not having healthy paranoia
>>
>>883952
Skelebro speaks with truth
>>
>>883952
>>883956
>>883960
Writing now!
>>
>>883952
>>883956
>>883960
Almost forgot--roll 1d20
>>
>>884002
>>
Rolled 19 (1d20)

>>884005
Shit
>>
Rolled 1 (1d20)

>>884002
Shall i post "With Cat-like thread" again?
>>
Rolled 6 (1d20)

>>884002
>>
>>884015
https://youtu.be/WdJg6Duzzf4
>>
>>884015
Hoo boy. Liz officially sucks at being sneaky.
>>
>>884024
We can go for that cute and clumsy gil charm, i guess. Right before we bring our the goat with human hands, a gun, and a male self-pleasuring device
>>
You consider sitting still, but you do really want to find that old man. Besides being the caricature of a magical mentor and general wiseman, he slipped you that mysterious seed right before you walked out the other day when you came here with your father. It’s still sitting in your pocket where you’d tucked it, hoping he would shed some light on the apparently ordinary speck.

That said, the computer is right there, and you’re more than a little curious. So, pricking up your ears, you creep forward, intending to open it up and take a peek. You creep behind the counter, and pull up the lid. The screen lights up—and immediately begins its startup sequence, which includes an achingly loud series of chimes.

You swear nervously and slam the thing shut again to the sound of boots coming rapidly down the hallway. You step out from behind the counter and take two steps before a 50lb bag of peat moss in an inopportune place snags your leg and you fall, hitting the wooden boards of the shop with a resounding crash.

You’re still lying there, wind knocked out of you, when the attendant rounds the corner, a bag in her hand.
“What was that?” she asks, thin eyebrows drawn together by a knitted brow. Her tone reminds you of your 2nd grade teacher, the way she’d ask for an explanation after catching you in the act. She knew perfectly well what you’d done, but demanded that you admit it as well.

>Truth. "I'm sorry, I was just really curious about your computer..."
>Lie. "I have no idea. I was looking at those rakes and just tripped." (Requires roll)
>Half-truth. "Your computer made some weird noise and it startled me mid-step, so I tripped." (Requires roll with lower DC)
>write-in
>>
Rolled 11 (1d20)

>>884047
>>Half-truth. "Your computer made some weird noise and it startled me mid-step, so I tripped." (Requires roll with lower DC)
>>
>>884047
"I am sorry, i thought i saw a rat and freaked out, then i rached against everything around. Could you check if it is around? I-i really don't like rats"
>>
>>884067
>>884075
Unless there's a tiebreaker in the next 5 minutes, I'll roll a d2
>>
>>884095
>full on truth, I wanted to see what could make you smile
>>
File: tegaki.png (28KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
28KB, 400x400px
>>884095
with our luck, it'll come out as a 0
>>
Rolled 1 (1d3)

>>884067
>>884075
>>884116
Rolling 1d3.
1 is halftruth
2 is rat lies
3 is smooth as fuck
>>
Okay, roll 1d20 for a convincing half truth. Best out of three, go.
>>
Rolled 11 (1d20)

>>884131
>>
Rolled 11 (1d20)

>>884131
COME MEN WHO PLOUGH THE SEA!
>>
Rolled 6 (1d20)

>>884131
SMOOOOOTH
>>
>>884136
>>884142
>>884067
There's significantly less than a 1% chance that three d20 rolls for the same action would be the same. Spooky.
Writing
>>
Clambering to your feet, you manage to spout off a somewhat convincing and mostly-true excuse.
“I was just over here and your computer made some kind of noise! It was so quiet in here that it startled me, and I managed to trip over the bag here.” You give a weak, embarrassed grin. “Sorry.”

The dark-haired girl doesn’t look convinced, but goes over to her computer and opens the lid...but the chimes don’t repeat.
“Looks like it turned itself on somehow. That was just the startup sound. It’s an old computer.” It...sort of looks like she bought it.

“Oh, I know how it is. I’ve got one of the old desktop Macs, and I think it’s nearly as old as I am.” You smile a little, but she doesn’t return it, only extending her arm with the bag in hand. Not going for your jokes, but not throwing you out of the shop either. You think you’ll take it.

“I found some aconite cuttings. They’re kind of dried up. Be careful, they’re poisonous.”

“Will do. How much?”
She gives you a price as she steps back behind the counter, already starting to ring you up. It’s steep. You can pay it, since you remembered to bring your debit card this time, but it’s not cheap.
>just pay it, and figure out something else later. You really want to raise some lesser physical forms
>try to bargain her down, see if she’s willing to haggle.
>don’t buy it. You want it, but there has to be some other source.
>>
>>884196
These won't do, do you have wolfsbane? Monkshod can do in a pinch
Just kidding

Pay it, we to save some face
>>
>>884196
>just pay it, and figure out something else later. You really want to raise some lesser physical forms
>>
>>884209
>>884217
Writing now.
>>
With a sigh, you step forward and swipe your card, watching as weeks of savings from your part-time job at the school store trickle away. Still, it’ll be worth it once you get a lesser physical form, for sure. There must be all kinds of way to make money with shades and skeletons, after all, even if that seems like a good way to get a visit from the magic mafia.

You take the bag and flash a smile. She seems somewhat mollified, and not too suspicious.
“Oh no, I’ve gotten the wrong thing—I meant to pick up wolfsbane!”
Her head jerks up from the register and you actually do see a glimmer of a smile on her face once she sees that you’re kidding. She hands you the receipt once it’s printed out, her eyes lingering on your face just a little longer than might be strictly necessary. You can still feel her gaze on you as you leave the shop.

Cat greets you, having not moved from your bicycle.

“No sign of the imp, my lady.” He informs you, lazily licking one ethereal paw. That’s good, at least. Having a shadow made you nervous. Then again, it’s possible you just got a stealthier stalker...there’s an unnerving thought. Getting Ulysses’ grimoire sooner rather than later would probably be good.

You lean against the same tree as your bike, chewing on your lip thoughtfully. Where to from here?
>straight back home
>snoop around here, (look for the old man?)
>write-in
>>
>>884316
>>snoop around here, (look for the old man?
I thought this was what we came for in the first place

> her eyes lingering on your face just a little longer than might be strictly necessary
Either she knows or ge gonna get yuri'd
>>
>>884316
>walk straight in and ask for if the old man is about

We are not sneaky
>>
>>884336
That much is sure
>>
>>884316
>>straight back home
>>
>>884334
>>884336
Writing.
>>
>>884401
for the record, we DO have the white seed thing with us, right? Right?
>>
>>884454
see the OP

>>884401
You think about trying to sneak around back and look for the old man, but there is, frankly, no way that’s a good idea. You proved your stealth skill just a few minutes ago. You couldn’t even open a laptop without getting caught, so stealthing around an open yard in daylight just isn’t an option. Direct route is is, then.

Gesturing for Cat to come along this time, you head back inside. The dark-haired girl looks surprised to see you, looking up from her computer again. She leaves it open and casts you a curious glance.
“What is it now?”

“Well...do you know the old man who was here last time? I wanted to talk to him. Is he in?” It seems kind of silly in the light of day, wondering if some crazy old man is around and thinking he’s magic just because he gave you some kind of seed. He works at a garden store, having a seed in his hand isn’t exactly out of the ordinary.

“No, he isn’t.” She’s still as blunt as ever, but her tone isn’t quite as hostile as before. “He won’t be back for a few days. What did you want to talk to him about?”

“Oh, well it’s kind of just between the two of us, something he gave me.”

“Tell me. I might be able to help.”
Well she seems oddly insistent. You’re not quite sure whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing, but your hand drops to your pocket almost instinctively, feeling the bump where the seed presses against your leg.

>tell her about the seed
>refuse to tell her anything
>tell a plausible lie (he gave me a blank note, etc.)
>>
>>884474
Tell her, if she tries something Cat will give her the goosebumps of her life
>>
>>884474
>Sure I'll tell you, but you have to tell me something in return. Trivial stuff will work
>>
>>884474
>>tell her about the seed
>>
>>884487
This is good
>>
>>884484
>>884487
Writing
>>
>>884564
“Well if I’m going to tell you about it, you’ll have to tell me something about yourself. Anything. Just as a show of trust.”
The dark-haired girl gives you a long look, seeming to weigh it in her head before speaking.

“Fine. I’m a botany student at UMaine during the year. Now, tell me.”

“Okay, okay. When he shook my hand yesterday, he slipped this into my hand.” You dig around for a second in your pocket before managing to pull out the seed and holding it out for the girl to see. Sitting in the middle of your palm and seeming somehow...innocent. Like even it didn’t know what it would grow up to be.

Without warning, the girl plucks it out of your hand and gives it a close inspection, pulling a small magnifying glass off a shelf underneath the counter to get a better look. After a few moments, she speaks, seeming more than a little unnerved.

“It’s from some type of grass. I can’t tell what. They’re hard to tell apart, but I usually have a hunch. He gave you this?” The question sounds almost accusatory, as if you’d told her that the old man had stolen your wallet while he was at it.

“Of course. Who else would? I don’t hang around a lot of gardening shops.”
It doesn’t even look like the girl heard you, too absorbed in thought.

“I can plant it for you. See what comes up. Always easier to identify plants when they’re mature. And he wouldn’t have to know about it.” She speaks more rapidly than usual, as if wanting to get out the idea and be done with it. “I’d make sure it survived. Grasses don’t always germinate well.”

>Take her offer. You’re no greenhorn when it comes to gardening, but you’re no green thumb either. You could use the help
>Don’t take her offer. Who knows what kind of plant is gonna grow out of that, if the old man really is a wizard? You can’t endanger her like that
>write-in
>>
>>884628
>>Don’t take her offer. Who knows what kind of plant is gonna grow out of that, if the old man really is a wizard? You can’t endanger her like that
Dads a gardener to, he can help if we have trouble.
>>
>>884628
>take her offer
>I'll just need your phone number and address, not like I'm creepy stalker I just want to check in on the little guy
>>
>>884658
We are not killing her, Ribbz
>>
>>884645
>>884658
5 minutes for tiebreaker before I roll
>>
>>884688
We don't have to
>>
>>884658
I'll support this
>>
>>884628
>Don’t take her offer. Who knows what kind of plant is gonna grow out of that, if the old man really is a wizard? You can’t endanger her like that

She seems a bit excited for not knowing what it is.

She seems to think it is valuable or useful. Betting that she is probably an apprentice to him or something. She might be jealous that he gave it to us instead of her, he might have given it to us because we resisted stealing the magical apple and he thought we would be a good choice.

So lets just talk to him when he comes back.
>>
>>884699
nah, get your own seed
>>
>>884728
>>884712
>>884645
Three for don't take her offer
>>884658
>>884705
Two for take it.
That was close. Writing for not taking it.
>>
>>884733
“That’s very kind of you, thank you--” you start, noticing the way her eyes seem glued to the seed, the fixation only becoming more pronounced. “--but no thank you. I appreciate the offer but I’d prefer to do these things myself.” You reach over and pluck the seed up out of her hand, quickly tucking it into your pocket again. You don’t think she’d attack you for it…

She looks almost wounded when you tuck it away, but after a few seconds seems to regain her composure, returning to her normal brisk self.

“Fine. If it dies, don’t blame me. I’ll tell Bert you were looking for him.”
Bert, huh? You suppose that’s the name of the old man who gave the seed to you in the first place. You wonder what possible importance it could have, and why the botanist girl cared so much about it in the first place.

“Thanks. Have a good day.”
All you get in reply is a grunt as she turns back to her computer.

“I applaud your choice, my lady. She seems less than perfectly stable.” Cat’s oily voice rolls through the room, and you jump just a little. It’s one thing to know that nobody else can hear him, but something else entirely to get used to it. You wait until you get out of the dark-haired girl’s earshot to assure Cat that the applause of a dead cat means plenty to you.

You jump on your bicycle and start home, pulling into the driveway just as your brother Andrew returns from his archery camp with your mom, more exitable than you would have imagined putting arrows into bales of straw could make a child. He babbles something about a reenactment fair tomorrow that you’re sure you’ll hear more about later, and disappears into the house.

That’s all for tonight folks, I’m starting to get tuckered out. May be running tomorrow, will definitely be running Thursday. Updates will be posted here, or in the Discord (https://discord.gg/ksY4q87) See you then.
>>
Almost forgot--any criticisms or comments are welcomed. I always wonder what I could be doing better, so let me know.
>>
Will probably be running at 6:30, but may have to push that back. Will keep you guys updated
>>
Writing now.
>>
Aaaaand we’re back]
After putting away your bicycle, you enter the house. The cool wash of air is a welcome respite after spending so long in the blazing summer heat and the stifling humidity of the small garden shop. You can hear Andrew in the kitchen, happily chattering away with your Mom as she makes him a grilled cheese for lunch.

You enter the kitchen and sit down at the table, Cat taking up a spot on top of the refrigerator, tail slowly flicking in and out of the hotdog buns. Andrew shoots you a grin.

“Hey Lizzie, guess what happened at camp today!”
A matching smile spreads across your face—no matter how hard you try, you can never stay serious around Andrew. He’s six years your younger, but seems a bit brighter than the other 12 year olds on the block.

“Hmm...what was it?” you ask, steepling your fingers on the table in a mockery of deep thought.

“I got a bullseye!” he’s practically beaming, and immediately launches into a detailed description of the event. Every aspect of this stunning accomplishment is related, from the bow he selected (“It was a little taller than the ones I normally pick, so I think--”) to the camp counselor’s reaction afterwards (“He said I was the first one to ever do it and that I should--”). He’s so caught up in his tale that he doesn’t even notice when Mom slides a plate with his grilled cheese and celery to him.

The smell wafts over you and your stomach rumbles, your rushed breakfast and early exercise having given you more than your usual appetite. A smile quirks up on your Mom’s face.

“Shall I make another? A tuna melt, perhaps?”
After your grateful acceptance, Andrew once more captures your attention.

“Lizzie! Guess what else!” This time, he doesn’t wait for a response, plowing ahead with his announcement. “The counselor said there was gonna be a medieval fair at Webley Park!”
Webley Park is less of a park and more of an open stretch of grass used by whatever carnival, fair, or nomadic religious order happens to be passing through—but it has its moments to be sure.

“Mom said I could go tomorrow, and Dad is coming too! Do you want to go with us?” You freeze. Tomorrow? Unless your math is wrong, tomorrow is the ‘two days hence’ that Titania mentioned when planning your visit with the Unseelie Court. As much as you’d prefer to spend the day in the pleasant field of Webley Park eating overpriced food of dubious historical accuracy, it seems like a truly bad idea to cancel on the fae.

(1/2)
>>
Luckily, your Mom chooses this precise moment to hand you your tuna melt, and your first bite gives you a second to think about how to respond.
>Yes, I’d love to! (The visit with the Seelie only took a few hours. You should have plenty of time, and if there’s a conflict, you’ll cross that bridge when you come to it.)
>No, I can’t. (You really can’t afford to mess this up. If you have to be allied with either the Seelie or Unseelie, it doesn’t make sense to risk eliminating one of your possible options. )
>Ehh, I’ll try. (Best not to commit to anything. If you’re home when they start to head out, so much the better. If not, better that they’re not expecting you in case they decide to start snooping around.)
(2/2)
>>
>>890204
>Yo, the Liz-eister can't commit to this summit. But she'll do what she can, to the past travel...-an! Word.
>Ehh, I'll try.
>>
>>890243
>ehh, I'll try
>>
>>890204
>>Ehh, I’ll try. (Best not to commit to anything. If you’re home when they start to head out, so much the better. If not, better that they’re not expecting you in case they decide to start snooping around.)
>>
>>890204
>Ehh, I’ll try.
>>
Writing for apparent apathy
>>
Dunno why but I liked the original modern necromancer better. I think I just liked the protagonist and setting more.
>>
>>890356
Come to the Discord, I will give reasons to stay tuned.
>>
>>890356
If you come to the discord, please ignore past conversations
>>
>>890356
Skelebro is right, you may find yourself re-interested once you hear what we've got planned. That said, Liz is still very mutable as a character at this point.

>>890204
Swallowing down the delicious sandwich, you shake your head side to side, giving a thoughtful look.

“I’d really like to, but I’m not sure what I’m going to be doing tomorrow. I’d hate to tell you that I’m in, and then have to bail if something comes up.”
Andrew sighs dramatically, obviously not pleased with your answer, but seems to accept it after you give a helpless shrug.

Once you’ve wolfed down your lunch and thanked Mom again for the food, you return to your room, puzzling over what to do with the rest of the day. There’s always something to do, the question is just finding out what.

You could try investigating the seed some more. You doubt you’d get very far just trying to identify it if that botanist girl hadn’t even been able to tell what it was, but maybe it’s time to plant it? You’re not sure if it’d be a good idea to plant it in your room (or the garden for that matter), but there’s always the treehouse. You’re pretty sure you know where you could find a pot and some potting soil for it. Then again, you have no idea what it’ll do once it starts to grow; it might be a good idea to find somewhere even more remote.

You could try to head into Portland to find a copy of Ulysses’ grimoire. If the Unseelie Court is the nest of vipers that Argus led you to believe, you can’t help but think you’d be well off figuring out the basics of warding. If you’re going into battle, a shield is never a bad idea and all that. It might be hard to find transportation, but now that Mom’s home, she might be able to take you.

Then again, you did just blow a pretty significant chunk of your bank account on the aconite you needed for the Lesser Physical Form ritual. It’d be stupid not to take advantage of it. You have all the necessary ingredients now, so it’s just a matter of finding some bones and drawing the circle. The treehouse should be sufficiently secluded, so long as nobody comes looking for you. Cat could act as your watchman, and at least give you some warning if they did.

So...what to do?
>Plant seed. Specify where to put it.
>Look for a copy of Ulysses’ grimoire
>move ahead with the Lesser Physical Form ritual. Specify where you look for remains.
>write-in
>>
>>890391
>>Look for a copy of Ulysses’ grimoire
I don't think i am ready yet for another limerick
>>
>>890391
>>Look for a copy of Ulysses’ grimoire
>>
The meeting with the Unseelie will be at the RenFaire, right?
>>
>>890467
We don't know where that will be yet. It might be there, but it's equally possible for it to be anywhere else.

>>890391
>Look for a copy of Ulysses’ grimoire
>>
Writing for going to Portland
>>
>>890536
You really don’t feel like trying to find a sufficiently secluded spot to either plant a possibly-dangerous probably-magical seed or attempt to summon your first physical form. That, combined with your mounting anxiousness about your date with the Unseelie, makes you think that a little trip to Portland is in order.

So you pack Cat’s skull into your bag and head out into the kitchen to ask your Mom if she can give you a ride. She seems a little surprised, but you just say you’re planning on meeting up with your friend from yesterday. It takes a little convincing, since the scrapes on your leg from your last trip are still very much visible, but she agrees to drop you off.

Because your Dad’s not at home, Andrew decides to come along for the ride, and while Mom is helping him track down his sneakers you tuck a sandwich baggie with a chicken breast into your bag. If Cat’s coming along, it can’t hurt to have a sacrifice with you.

The car ride goes well, apart from a span of five minutes between Andrew discovering how to make a farting sound with his palms and Mom declaring that if he makes that noise one more time, she’s going to tape his hands to his sides for the rest of the week. After that, it’s just a few more minutes before she pulls over and lets you out with a wave, a kiss, and an admonition to be safer this time.

So here you are, just a few blocks over from the library where Argus sort of kidnapped you yesterday, on the search for a new grimoire. As you recall, that 10kIs guy in the chatroom suggested looking in antique bookshops for a copy. How do you start?
>Look for antique bookstores on your phone. Google Maps has got everything these days.
>ask a local. They’re sure to know all the hole-in-the-wall places.
>just wander around the area. You’re sure you’ll find something good.
>>
>>890642
>>Look for antique bookstores on your phone. Google Maps has got everything these days.
>>
>>890642
Pretend to be a tourist to avoid embarassment
>>
>>890642
>>
>>890668
>>890661
Roll 2d20 please. Best of three, unless there's a crit.
>>
Rolled 9, 15 = 24 (2d20)

>>890741
>>
Rolled 12, 6 = 18 (2d20)

>>890741
>>
Rolled 12, 15 = 27 (2d20)

>>890642
>>890741
>>
Rolled 11, 15 = 26 (2d20)

>>890741
>Bert
>>
Writing.
For the record, when rolling multiple dice, I will generally take the highest individual rolls. For example, if one person rolled 3, 18, and another rolled 15, 2, the combined total would be 15, 18. This may change as the quest continues.
>>
>>890768
so, best of three?
>>
>>890868
I don't need yo sass, anon
>>890768
Best to ask somebody who lives in the city about these sorts of things. They generally know the area better than anybody else, including the little shops all tucked away from general traffic.

After a few unsuccessful attempts to ask for information, you manage to get somebody to stop for half a second and actually talk to you. He’s middle aged, wearing a suit, and looks vaguely irritated, like somebody just farted in the elevator. After a few inquiries he waves vaguely in the direction of a bookshop and walks off in something of a hurry.

You make your way through the crowds with Cat floating along behind you. It’s not easy, but after circling the block a few times, you spot a dingy little bookstore set at basement level, and walk down the stairs to enter.

It’s dim and smoky, the only light coming from a few 60-watt bulbs well past their prime and some astonishingly dirty windows. You manage to find the desk easily enough, a grandmotherly-looking old woman smoking a pipe sitting behind it. You ask if she has anything like a grimoire by a man named Ulysses, trying to paint yourself as a student writing a report on traditional magic and folklore. She squints at you a bit, and shakes her head. Fortunately, she also informs you of a nearby shop that might have what you need, and gives you directions.

Heading along the route she recommended, you hear the bookstore door open and close behind you, but don’t think anything of it. A few minutes later, you have cause to regret your unawareness.

Crossing through an alley the old woman specified, you hear a can rattle behind you and see two teenagers of roughly your age, standing at its entrance. Starting to pick up your pace, you glance in front of you and see another figure blocking your way forward. He’s older, mid- to late-twenties, with long, greasy-looking hair.

“We heard you in there. You looking for a grimoire?” his eyes are fixed on yours, his voice a rasping croak. “You found one, you know what to do with it?”
How do you reply?
>What are you talking about? I’m just a student doing some research (will require lie roll)
>Yes, and you’d best hope I don’t decide to try it out on you. (will require bluff roll)
>Yes, why do you ask?
>>
>>890897
You think i would go looking around for something like a Grimoire and not be... "accompanied"? What do you guys want?
So, a sassier bluff option. Because i know you can't get enough of that sass
>>
>>890897
>What are you talking about? I’m just a student doing some research!
We really need to figure out a combat summon.
>>
>>890897
Hey, does Liz carry around some basic form of self defense? Like pepper spray? Small knife? Used tampon?
>>
>>890897
tell them to fuck off
>>
>>890937
She has some pepperspray that her mom got her a while back shoved somewhere in her bag, but it's a crapshoot on whether it still works after so long without being so much as picked up.
>>
>>890948
Fuck, that crap goes bad in a heartbeat.
>>
>>890923
>>890943
>>890922
5 more minutes for tiebreaker before I roll a d3
>>
>>890363
>>890374
Link to the discord?
>>
>>891059
https://discord.gg/ba7U9
>>
Rolled 1 (1d3)

>>891033
1 is sass
2 is lie
3 is aggressive
>>
>>891079
Roll 1d20 for bluff, same rules as earlier.
>>
Rolled 11 (1d20)

>>891084
Wait, who was sass again?
>>
Rolled 7 (1d20)

>>891084
>>
Rolled 10 (1d20)

>>891084
>>
>>891097
Writing
>>
“Of course.” You do your best to give off a slightly contemptuous air, though a wobble sneaks into your voice. “Now if you wouldn’t mind getting out of my way?”
He starts to laugh before you shoot him an a look of pity, as though to a child who just wasn’t understanding his lesson.
“You seriously think I’d go looking for a grimoire without friends? Now, what do you want?”

“We want to know what you’re doing in Unseelie territory. I sure as hell don’t recognize you, girlie, and I know every human working under Oberon.” he smiles, revealing a truly disgusting mouthful of yellowed teeth. You can hear the scuffling of sneakers on asphalt as the two boys behind you come closer, closing the net. Cat stands alert, glancing between you and the other people in the alley.

“I don’t think she’s Seelie either, To--! Oh, um, I mean, Ortho.” one of the boys blurts out, earning a glare from the older man.

“She ain’t got Titania’s mark?” The older man, apparently called Ortho, demands.

“Nah, and her aura looks all...weird. I don’t know if we wanna be messing with her, uh, Ortho.”
Now that’s interesting. Apparently one of the boys can see auras like Cat, and yours isn’t normal. That seems worth investigating at some later date, but for now dealing with these jokers is probably a priority.
>Capitalize on his fear (“Damn right you don’t. Stop bothering me before I cause some trouble.”) and get out of here as quick as possible.
>Stay silent (Best to let them freak themselves out and not make it clear how lost you are)
>Have Cat do something (specify)
>write-in
>>
>>891243
>Have cat knock over a garbage can or something loud
>That's right, it might be for the best to leave me be for now. I have business with Oberon tomorrow anyway, I do hope you wont do something stupid and make me miss my appointment. I can only imagine how he might feel about you ruining his schedule like that.
>>
>>891243
>>891269
This.
>>
>>891243
>"Good, your friend understands. Now move"
When she says move have cat give someone the chills
>>
>>891280
>>891269
Changing my vote for this, i like his moxie
>>
>>891269
>>891275
>>891295
Roll 1d20 for intimidation
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>891316
Grr
>>
Rolled 15 (1d20)

>>891316
Used
Tampon
>>
Rolled 14 (1d20)

>>891316
>>
File: grasshopper.png (212KB, 500x274px) Image search: [Google]
grasshopper.png
212KB, 500x274px
>>
>>891344
Writing.
>>891388
I AM REINVIGORATED
>>
>>891394
don't actually throw a tampon at them, plz
>>
>>891399
Too late
jk
Probably
>>
File: cricket.png (105KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
cricket.png
105KB, 240x320px
>>891388
Hey, why didn't you guys tell me Skelly was into this alternative foodstuff scene?
>>
Idiots like this can’t be reasoned with. Best way to get them off your back is to scare them off, or kick their asses. Since the latter isn’t an option (at least until you get those physical forms sorted out), the former will have to do for now. You make momentary eye-contact with Cat and flick your head towards a stack of garbage cans on one side of the alley, just past where Ortho is standing. He gets the message, and a few moments later they’ve toppled over with an almighty crash, and Ortho looks like he’s had a heart attack.

“Your friend over there has the right idea. I think it’d be best for everyone if I left now, got it?” You step forward, moving towards Cat’s dimmer, shimmering form and the way out of this alley. “You might not have heard, but I have business with Oberon tomorrow anyway. I do hope you wont do something stupid and make me miss my appointment. I can only imagine how he might feel about you ruining his schedule like that.”
At the mention of Oberon’s name and the chance that he’d be upset with their little trio, Ortho turns a white as a freshly bleached sheet.

To the thug’s credit, he almost stands up to you and the thread of what is surely some really professional torture at Oberon’s hands. Then, one of the boys behind you starts to whine about weird energy on the other end of the alley, and he loses his nerve. He ducks his head down and shoves past you, nearly knocking you over. You look at Cat and jerk your head over, and again he understands. A moment later, Ortho shivers, as though a drop of icewater had just run down his back, and leaves the alley a little quicker than he might have otherwise.

Once he’s out of sight, you finally release your breath, sagging against the wall of the alley. You knew things could get nasty in the magic world, but this is just ridiculous. You really need to get a gun, or some kind of magic defense. Hopefully Ulysses’ grimoire will help with that...assuming you can get a copy without being accosted again.

You leave the alley and, Cat’s shimmering form behind you, head for the bookshop.

All for tonight, my guys. As ever, suggest and shitpost to your heart’s content. Same time again next week.
>>
>>891450
Take this opportunity to look around for martial art schools
>>
Will be running tonight at 6:30pm EST, 6 hours from now
>>
Test to see if this thread is still bump-able
>>
New Thread!
>>909378
>>909378
>>909378
Thread posts: 124
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.