[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Civilization Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 6

File: 1441911415229.png (6MB, 2300x6400px) Image search: [Google]
1441911415229.png
6MB, 2300x6400px
Simple rules, just pick a race and we'll see which one has most votes when I finish making dinner. I'll pick place and time period from the race selected.
>>
Giants
>>
Homunculi been wanting to see them in action for a while.

Also if no one else wants them Ursine, Weres, and Undead are also good races
>>
>>84009

I could switch to ursine to get things going, not interested in any of the others though.
>>
>>84033
>>84009

I've got a few ideas that would work with Ursines (Dark Ages Soldiers or Middle Age Mercenary wanderers), but we will have to wait about half an hour for me to finishing frying some chicken, and then we'll see what else has been voted for.
>>
>>84107
Well, Im interested. I vote for ursines too
>>
>>84107
Ursines then
>>
>>84107

I'll switch my vote to Ursine then.
>>
>>83957
I vote homunculi.
>>
>>83957
>homunculi.
They need love.
>>
>>84370
>>84397
hey bear people look cool though

But then again i wanted to see how a homunculi thread would go as in technology sounds pretty badass
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 210x240px
>>84009
>>84115
>>84119
>>84155

Your stomach seems to suspend itself in your throat, but you hold fast. Your hands are only held off from shaking by the shield in your left hand, and by the mace in your right. Your teeth, huge and sharp, grind in your mouth. Fear, a rising serpent in the back of your mind, seems only exemplified by the rocky, wooded land in which you stand. The great pine trees surround your line, but cut off in front of you.

A hundred paces beyond your beleaguered line of ursine soldiers stands a mishmash of mercenaries, outnumbering you perhaps three to one. Swords, spears and hammers alongside a bristling wall of pikes are the only things you can focus on.

A war cry goes out from the enemy ranks, and you look to your brothers for support. Their bearish faces look exhausted, shaky and tired. You seem to be the only of your brothers holding his shield high enough to be efficient.

Your captain is dead, and the two hundred of you stand between these mercenaries and the baggage train, your families, your food.

You growl, and your eyes fix forward.

>What do you do?

(A 1d20 roll for actions, please)
>>
Rolled 19 (1d20)

>>84593

In response to their war cry, take a few steps forward and give a loud and primal roar in order to raise the moral of your troops and maybe instill fear in the enemy
>>
Rolled 2 (1d20)

>>84632
supporting
>>
Rolled 17 (1d20)

>>84632
>>
>>84632

You step forward, towards the enemy line, and you slam your mace into your shield with a roar. You bellow, fury and fear mixing into a fiery, overwhelming scream, and your roar is picked up by your brothers. Slowly, your line begins to form into a single, bellowing form. Great limbs heft oaken shields, and claws scrape into the dirt. Soon, a rhythm starts and the sound of mace hilts slamming into the ground in unison pours across the battlefield.

The enemy line tries to continue it's roar, but even with four men for each of your brothers, they cannot be heard. Your battlecry is not a measured thing, not a slogan, it is rage, overwhelming and primal.

The enemy wavers, and your men hold their weapons ready, their shields steadfast.

>What is your battle plan?

You have two hundred ursines, in a line four men deep. The back line holds pikes over the shoulders of the first three, the third line holds long-hammers, the second line holds great-swords, and the front line holds thick shields and maces.

The enemy is much less organized, but they outnumber you four to one. You have no cavalry, and neither does your enemy. You archers are dead, and you are the sole commanding officer. The land is forested. There is a river a mile or so behind you, and another, smaller one three miles behind the enemy line.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d20)

>>84767

Move to an area with denser groups of trees on the flanks of our formation to funnel the enemy into a kill zone. Send 2 small groups (25ish) to each flank to help protect from any enemies getting through the thick trees.

Basically a strat similar to in 300
>>
Rolled 6 (1d20)

>>84830
Re roll
>>
>>84830
Ooooh.... Dang.
>>
Rolled 8 (1d20)

>>84830
>>
>>84903
>>84891
>>84881
>>84830

Your give the order to move, and the formation almost immediately begins to disintegrate as men either rush to a new position, some to the left and some to the right, or simply stand as they are, not having ehard or understood your order. A few seem to run away into the woods.

The enemy sees weakness, and takes it's chance to surge forward in force. The enemy line, disorganized as it is, splits into three, one part racing to each of the groups, the western one, the central one, and the eastern group. In the centre, your ranks fall into a desperate melee, and one you seem to be rapidly losing, while on the sides a similar, but more stable melee is managing to just about hold off the surging enemy.

You fight a terrifying and brutal duel with an orc, only keeping his blade from your fur with your bracer before caving in his skull.

>What do you do?

Your forces are in disarray in the centre, and in chaotic melees on both flanks. The enemy has occupied themselves in the melees, and do not seem as if they will attack the baggage train just yet.
>>
Rolled 8 (1d20)

>>85158

Let out another primal roar reminding your men (bears) of their courage and warrior ways. Then ferociously begin smashing away at the enemy.
>>
Rolled 20 (1d20)

>>85262
>>
>>85417
What a rollercoaster.

>>85158

You bellow out a string of orders, the fury of your voice carrying, and then you launch yourself into the melee, fighting for all you're worth. Your shield rebukes swords, your mace finds it's mark, and your brothers take your example.

Slowly, the melees in the center are won, and each time a brother rises from a melee he joins you in line. Perhaps fifty of the initial hundred men that stood in the center remain, but now they stand in a knot, shields held outwards in a square.

The flanking enemy sees the opportunity for glory, and another wave of their troops falls from the sides into the center. You fight for all you are worth, and your fur grows slick with the blood of orcs and men. You are as if a fury, focused, forceful, and with an aim set upon your enemy's heart,

Your flanking forces have swelled with those of the center that had fled, and the enemy's flanking forces have been diminished by movements into the center. Slowly, the right flank forces forward, and in a moment, the enemy force there breaks and flees, a great white furred sibling of yours driving them back before leading the flank around behind the enemy, slamming into the back of their line and hewing into them with devastating effect. The left has a similar story, and soon the enemy is both surrounding your central forces, and being surrounded by the flanks.

The day is won as you cut down the last man, fur matted with gore, some of it your own. A cheer rises from the ranks, and you return to your camp for the night, some men remaining to collect the possessions of the dead and to scavenge for loot.

You have broken your enemy, and the emperor's representative, the Burghmeister of Carold, will have your reward when you march yourself back to the city. Of course, you may choose to chase down the remnants of the enemy, or even to seek employment under another ruler now your efficiency is known.

This is a world wracked by religious war, between men of the north who believe the lord god was born in all men in a fraction after the birth of the world, and the men of the south who believe he was born into the royal bloodlines alone, in larger concentrations. You were born in this world, Captain General, and it's war has brought you to where you are, commanding two hundred trained mercenaries and ruling over their families in the great forests of Carold.
>>
>>85645
>What do you do?
>>
Rolled 16 (1d20)

>>85670
Collect our reward, pack up the caravans and become mercenaries for the highest bidder.
>>
Rolled 8 (1d20)

>>85817

I agree with go and collect reward

I think we need to increase our numbers and find a suitable/defendable place for the women/children and elders to live while we go and find glory

Sorry for the delay
>>
Rolled 10 (1d20)

>>85817
>>
>>85912
>>85817

You spend a few days living in the city of Carold, accommodation provided by the Burghmeister. The man is a short and fat dwarf wearing expensive linens, and you find him to be easy enough to negotiate with, You manage to argue him down to three possible rewards

>A Permanent land grant of enough land to farm and feed your band (This comes with a choice of a title)

>A writ of nobility for you and your familly. (omes with exemption from taxes and the ability to hunt freely anywhere.

>Enough money to outfit and feed your men for a year.

>Which one would you like?
>>
>>86037
>A Permanent land grant of enough land to farm and feed your band (This comes with a choice of a title)
>>
Rolled 7 (1d20)

>>86037

>>
Rolled 1 (1d20)

>>86037
>>Enough money to outfit and feed your men for a year.
>>
>>86137
>>86069

You have been granted approximately enough land to feed all of your men, fifteen miles to the north of Carold. The land is taken up by a large forest, contained within which is a single village with a population of fifteen hundred. The village is called Stenbrot, and it is situated just by a small river.

You split the land out to your men as if they were your tenants, ensuring that you remain in control of the land, but they can farm enough to keep themselves and their families alive. Of course, with this land comes a title, and you are granted a small bronze band to note your position as a petty lord, though the title Captain-General supersedes this landed title.

You are a servant of the Burghmeister at current, and must provide feudal dues to him in exchange for this land. He releases you from duty and gives you leave to go to your new holdings, if you leave him fifty of your men to help guard the city and train it's militia.
>>
>>86317

Are the people of the village Ursine or what?

How many Ursine do we have left?

What duty would we be released of?
>>
>>86317
Perhaps our men can leave and we ourselves can train the city militia ourselves?

They've worked hard enough
>>
>>86412
The People are an assortment of humans and ursines, perhaps nine hundred humans and the rest Ursine or Half-Ursine.

We have 200 or so Ursine under arms, and we would be being relieved of the duty to continue to fight as mercenaries in the current war. We are of course free to take new contracts, but the Burghmeister is our nominal liege, and expects at least fifty men to help train his militias.

He will likely have more contracts in future, but you are being given this chance to establish yourselves in Stenbrot, to settle your families, and to rest for the winter.
>>
>>86441
This is definitely a possibility, and it would allow you to take contracts directly from the Burghmeister. You may even have the chance to go on some smaller hunting missions.

I'm really hoping people are sort of enjoying this whole thing.
>>
Rolled 12 (1d20)

>>86450

In this case I say we leave the ursine to train the men and head back to our new land to prepare for winter and recover from the battles. There will be plenty of war in the spring.

In the mean time we can search through the population of the town we have under control now for suitable men and ursine that can be trained to join our ranks for spring.
>>
>>86477
Sounds pretty good

Going for this
>>
>>86463

I am, would be nice to have others join to get more discussion on our actions.

>>86441

Perhaps we can do a combination of our two suggestions. We stay and train, they go back and do what I talked about doing in our absence to prepare for spring.

>>86463

If so would we still control their actions or would they idly do what we want done while we do whatever else?
>>
>>86498
We can train the militia some other days

Should inspect the lands we were given, make defensive plans for it and take stock of what it can provide us
>>
>>86498
You guys would still be able to give the Ursine in the city actions.
>>
>>86531

Thats fine with me too. I want to strengthen our numbers and see if anyone in that village is good enough to join our band.
>>
>>86560
How about

50 to train the militia
100 to tend to their families
25 to scout the surrounding lands
25 to self improve?

Just a general idea
>>
oh and we ourselves meet that little village of ours
>>
File: Map.jpg (838KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Map.jpg
838KB, 1024x768px
>>86600
Your men make their goodbyes, and with warmth and loyalty march to Stenbrot. The village is not a clean place, nor a good place. Life in Arkenwald is hard, and the people are born to suit it. Trolls and Ogres ravage the woods of the province, but Stenbrot seems to have suffered from their predations especially, perhaps that is why it was granted to you.

As you enter the village you are guided to the church, where a young priest in plain robes greets you, after he has finished his sermon.

''I am Jasten, It is good to see you, a strong hand will help keep the trollkin from the village. I will gladly assist you however I may. I know these people perhaps better than they know themselves, and I am glad to answer any questions you may have for me.''

You talk with him for a while, before finding yourself residence in a small, decrepit manor house near the village. Your men disperse out into the country side, setting up new homesteads for their families. Many will work as farmhands, but you are satisfied your men will live well in this new land. The village, at Jasten's acceptance, seems eager to help, but exhausted. Their supplies are stretched, and many of the houses have recently bee rebuilt. War is never good, not even for those that stay home.

The scouts tell you that the land consists mostly of spruce and oak forests with many farmsteads scattered around, and a few small hamlets scattered around. The manor house holds a large map room, if very little else, and you are given the chance to survey a map of Arkenwald.

(The map is shit because I'm crap at Inkarnate, just assume it's because it was drawn by a rather dim monk.)

Your close family, and twenty five soldiers dwell at the manor house, training the small local militia and themselves.

Winter will be hard, but it will pass.
>>
>>87130
Sounds like we gotta RAID some trolls and ogre boys

Heard ogre meat is tough but troll meat is deliciously greasy

Great for winter
>>
>>87199
Feel free to roll for it, mainly because that means I get to write fight scenes.
>>
Rolled 11 (1d100)

>>87352
>>
Rolled 14 (1d20)

>>87199

I'll back this, lets clear out these forest!
>>
>>87436
>>87441

You gather up the men you have on hand and a few militiamen for guides, and go out on the hunt, in marching order. You are all armed with torches and long-hammers, with each man holding a pint of lantern oil for troll hunting. You are lead along a small stream by your guide, and as night falls you reach a small bridge across the stream, reputedly a troll den. You arrange yourselves into formation and approach the bridge as stealthily as you can, with your men a few feet behind.

As you approach, the river comes alive, the sniveling, mutated forms of trollkin forming in front of you. They jeer and hiss, red and purple eyes staring at you with mocking glee. A burst of fireflies rises from the reeds, and a huge limb wrenches up onto the small stone bridge, the huge, dripping form of a forest troll rising from the water, with a bellow of laughter. It dwarfs you easily, and it's green, sludge like form seems to regenerate new boils every few seconds. Throuigh it's shaggy beard of moss it speaks to you.

''You want to cross the bridge, little bear? At Kelluis' bridge there's a toll''

About thirty diminuitive half breed trollkin and one huge troll oppose you. Twenty five of your men stand behind you, unseen behind you. You can signal orders to them with simple gestures.

Roll for actions.
>>
Rolled 10 (1d20)

>>87775
Rolls
>>
Rolled 17 (1d20)

>>87775

Order men to gather bunches of sticks and dried brush and tie them together in bundles then dousing them with the tar oil while you speak with the large troll to buy them time while they prepare the assault.
>>
>>87885

The men drench bundles of sticks in lantern oil, and hold them ready, approaching up to the scrubland by the path. You begin to speak to the troll.

''A Toll? Of what?''

The Troll was clearly not expecting this line of questioning, and pauses a moment before speaking again

''Whatever you have of worth, little bear. Gold, Secrets, Slaves''

''Secrets? I have one worth telling you, great troll, if you'll lean in close''

The troll looks intrigued and leans in towards your mouth. You sling your vial of lantern oil into the giant creature's eyes, following it up with a torch, lighting the oil. The troll hows in pain, flailing his arms as the tumors that make up his face crackle and pop. You swing your long-hammer in an arc, crushing into the troll's chest and being buried in cancerous, bubbling flesh.

You wrench the hammer away and dive back, burning faggots (Couldn't resist) sailing through the air overhead into the troll and trollkin. Now with their regeneration advantage lost, the men rush in and a melee ensues. The trollkin fight weakly, and are mostly hunted down. Their cunning, weaselish attacks unfortunately claim one of your man, but most are killed harmlessly. Another two militiamen die to the troll's flailing, but after perhaps ten minutes of whirling hammers, the troll is dead, it's flesh burned to cinders. It's hoard is composed of a fair number of coins and stolen jewelry, concealed in a half rotten horse.

When you return to town with a stripped troll skull, you are hailed as a hero, and the men receive free drinks for the evening. All is well for the moment, and you have fought your first skirmish with the wildlife.
>>
Off to a good start, and now we have some coins and jewelry.

I think we should secretly and silently start building/funding an ursine empire.
>>
>>88257

Thanks for the effort you are putting in even though there isn't much participation. This could be a really good quest
>>
>>88443
It's fun to write. I may need to sleep at some point, but that's a bridge I'll cross when I collapse onto it.

>>88392
On this front, some political explanation is in order. You're in the fantasy holy Roman empire during the fantasy thirty years war. Essentially, the empire is just a massive number of tiny states ruled over bu a larger elected Emperor. You could be elected emperor at some point, but that'd be rather challenging. At the moment the only chance you have at election for the position of emperor is in taking control of Arkenwald, Lastadt and Carold and therefore becoming a prince and eligible for election.

I'm really just happy to see where this goes. I'll bring in gunpowder sometime in the larger battles, and I'm sure cannons will make a fun addition when they arrive.
>>
>>88547

I'm talking more of carving out our own empire. Obviously that would be the end game goal, we could just work toward that as we go about our other business with our ultimate goal to be liberated and rule over ourselves.
>>
>>88615
Fair enough. Let's hope we survive that long.
>>
Rolled 12 (1d20)

>>88643

Lets host a feast to mark the first victory against the trolls of the forest and to celebrate the coming together of our tribe and the village people.

We also need to continue building up the village, specifically the defenses and food sources.
>>
>>88775
this food is the biggest factor we must work on

After all we are fucking huge bears
>>
>>88775

Midwinter has arrived in the village, and the rain is replaced by crisp snow, not heavy enough to damage farms but still pleasant to look at. A bonfire is constructed in the main hall of the manor house, and good ursine food is cooked, in the shape of several lambs and a boar roast.

The people eat, drink and make merry, and it seems your men have integrated well with the population, and they have proved a big help in the security of the local farms. The lean months have been hard, but your reign has brought prosperity, what little there is, to the village.

With the festivities dealt with, many able bodied villagers are left with free time now the harvest is well and truly over, and they are set to work building up defenses. A palisade wall around the manor house has been constructed from wooden stakes, and a few small watchtowers stand on the verges of the village.

Your merriment is disturbed by a messenger for Carold. The enemy is coming, in force, and heading straight for Carold, with perhaps three thousand men. You have been summoned to your entire force, and another hundred men, to the city to defend it.
>>
>>88921
fuck

please tell us we got humie cannon fodders?
>>
Rolled 9 (1d20)

>>88921

Gather all the men that we can and march to the city.

Once we get there seek an audience with our commander and tell them we need more men to properly defend against that many men, at the very least we need a regiment of archers.
>>
I'm just posting my support for this thread. I only come here for the Civ posts, but there's so few of them and they die faster than the low effort posts. The further they get in, the more time it takes for new people to catch up, so I think the number of participants sort of naturally dwindles from its initial value.

Also quick question: what other races are we dealing with here? I'm guessing the villagers are humans, right?
>>
I feel like its because people have add or something

back when /tg/ still had quests they didn't die like they do here

maybe an over saturation of quests or some shit
>>
>>89020
A shit load. Humans and Ursines make up the north east, with dwarves and beastmen in minority.

Trolls and Ogres are native to the land, and essentially live tribally as pagans. There is a crusade being organized against them in the far north east if that interests you guys at some point.

>>88965
You can get about a hundred of them, but it leaves the village completely undefended, and the three thousand men will likely go out ''foraging''

>>88984
As you arrive, you find the city is a massive bustle of activity as merchants flee out and as their supplies are looted by the guards. Grain cannot be allowed out of the city. Your men rendezvous with their fifty brothers who had been training the militia, and you come into contact with the Burghmeister, as the old man paws over maps.

''I will not dither, we have no other force to hand that is not tied up in the crusade or fighting the war in the south asides you, what militia your men have trained, and a regiment of guards. I'm handing you overall command, you will be rewarded for this if the city holds. I have gotten a message out to the army on campaign, and they will not reach us for several months.''

He gives you a description of the resources available.

You have enough grain to last ten months, and the river provides plenty of water. The city has large stone circuit walls, with five towers in total, and a central citadel keep. You have perhaps two months (Two actions) before the approaching army arrives. You have at your disposal 250 Ursine mercenaries, 500 Militia Archers, 700 Assorted Militia, Whatever men you can levy from the city's population and from the guilds, three hundred trained guardsmen and the money to hire mercenaries if you can contract any.

Reports estimate that the enemy army has picked up new troops on the trip, and numbers around three thousand five hundred, commanded by Prince Henrik-Frederik, among the best of the generals the empire can muster.
>>
>>89240
We'll get your two actions out now, and then start up again in about ten, eleven hours time with the siege, if enough people are here.
>>
Did the three thousand five hundred man army scare away everyone? Or are we just writing really elaborate siege strategies?
>>
>>89502

Sorry man I was doing a few things away from the comp. Not sure about the others. If you just wanted to pick this up tomorrow to give us time to strategize and hopefully pick up more people that would be fine with me.
>>
>>89502
I don't think I'm smart enough to make an action so I'm waiting for someone else to. Also I'm not sure where you live but I think this is pretty inactive hours for most of 4chan, and this board is pretty slow even at peak hours.

I guess I'll go for 1 action: see about recruiting from the city population
>>
>>89617
>>89615
Alright. I'll just stop for the evening now, it being 2am and all.
>>
>>89782
Alright. Sleep well, also great job so far, looking forward to seeing where this goes.
>>
>>89782

Gnight, enjoying the thread so far. Look forward to continuing tomorrow.
>>
Afternoon all, who's here?
>>
>>93136
I am
>>
>>93151
Unfortunately there's not much point running if there's only the one person.

I'll be here for the rest of the day on and off, if we get more people I'll run for as long as I can, if not then I'll continue next saturday at 4pm GMT.
>>
>>93282
Yea thats the biggest bummer about some if not most quest threads I'm in

Like almost everybody drops it leaving like 2 people participating and nobody wants a quest thread with only 2 people

I'm pretty sure people need something for their attention span like constant art work

So far most of the quest threads I've seen have constant art or some sort of pictures to get every bodies attention, maybe people have the attention span of a 13 year old if you don't reward them with artwork
>>
>>93282

I'm here
>>
>>93743
>>94259
Right, if you're here, we can do some siege actions. You've got two turns until the arrival of Henrik-Frederik.
>>
>>94630

What does the terrain around the city look like?

How long would it take to contact mercenaries?

Do we have time to train more archers?
>>
>>94630
build traps perhaps?

ALOT OF TRAPS

Like Rambo the fuck out of the opposing army before they get to the castle
>>
>>94690
also do they have cavalry or something akin to cavalry? If they don't have anything to intercept the archers perhaps all the archers could skirmish the opposing army before they get to the stronghold
>>
>>94690
>>94677

The land around the city is farmland, stripped bare by the harvest and the winter. That continues for about two days march, and beyond that is the massive woods in every direction. To the far south is the river Vassa. The army should be crossing over a bridge on it's way towards the city, but it's fifty fifty if you can catch them before they cross.

Mercenaries could be contracted in one month (One action)

You have about 15,000 ducats at hand to hire them, search for offers with an action and I'll tell you what you can get.

In theory a larger militia could be trained, yes.

>>94690
What sort, and where? Please do roll for it.
>>
>>94714
They are a large campaigning army, so a detachment of cavalry is to be expected.
>>
>>94730
Like caltrops, ditches with spikes, ....... more ditches in front of the expected path

Also

THE BRIDGE SHALL BE WHERE WE HOLD
>>
>>94746
>>94690
For traps maybe a row of large wooden polls hidden under loose dirt so when the cavalry charges we can pull it up with ropes and impale them.
>>
>>94771

I was thinking the same thing, we need to build abatis style things on the other side of the caltrops.

I dont think we have time to get to the bridge. I think we should try contacting mercenaries and use their money for troops for fodder so we dont lose our numbers. We should also train more archers
>>
Rolled 11 (1d100)

>>94730

My vote for actions are

Send word to mercenaries and see what we hear from them.

Have the archers go out and gather capable men among the population and teach them how to shoot a bow. As long as they can sling arrows at the enemy they will be useful

Have all the other soldiers begin work on the defensive positions. Caltrops 100 yards from the city walls, Abatis 50 yards ahead of them surrounding the city.
>>
Rolled 10 (1d20)

>>94878

Damn, wrong dice. Rerolling with right dice.
>>
>>94800
>>94774
>>94878
>>94886

You send out a flurry of orders, and the city bustles at your command. Carpenters are hired en masse, and a great abatic line is constructed outside of the city, with caltrops before it. Many of the local farmers are persuaded to guard their homes from the city walls, and are brought into the walls to learn to fire a bow.

You now have 700 total militia archers, along with another 700 militiamen capable of using slings and tossing refuse. With that done, you send out a call for mercenaries, and wait.

A few tense weeks of training and trap making pass before four groups of mercenaries arrive at the gates.

You may hire:
The Latt Band (250 Slingers, 100 Pikemen, 50 Trained cavalrymen) for 7,500 Ducats
The Gaeli Band (150 Archers, 200 Trained Swordsmen) for 6,000 ducats
The Marcher Boys (350 Slingers, 400 Assorted Melee soldiers, 75 Cavalrymen and a Mangonel) for 13,000 ducats.

You have 15,000 ducats.

In the distance, the thunder of horses hooves may be heard, very faintly. The traps are set, the men flee inside the walls. The drawbridge is pulled up, and the portcullis slams closed. Atop the walls, 1400 Militiamen, 250 Ursine Heavy Infantry, 300 Human Guardsmen and whatever mercenaries you may contract.

In the granaries, 8 months of grain.In the river, plenty of water and perhaps some fish. Firewood is plentiful, and the troops dwell in the abandoned homes of the populace. The bishop leads a procession around the walls, bearing an icon of the avenging angel, and so begins the siege of Carold.

In the distance, the enemy appears. A quick count is made. Two hundred standard, four thousand men.At the back of their force is a golem, dragging what appears to be a siege engine of some kind, resembling a catapult. At the vanguard, a gleaming wedge of knights in plate and mail, headed by the blackened steel figure of Henrik Frederik, your adversary. They pause a moment perhaps a mile off from the city, and the militia makes it's prayers.
>>
>>95072

This is the cities money right? So does it matter how much or little we spend when it comes to our band?

Basically should we be penny pinching for any reason?
>>
>>95072
>The Marcher Boys

WE MUST PROTECT OUR FELLOW URSINE BROTHERS FIRST

USE THE LESSER RACES TO ABSORB THE BLOWS
>>
Rolled 19 (1d20)

>>95145

I'm also inclined to hire the marcher boys and have them set up behind the fortifications with half our militiamen. Archers and slingers on the walls.

Have the Ursine heavy infantry behind the mercs just outside the walls with the rest of our troops inside the walls ready to assist. The Ursine with a small group of mercs surround the mangonel with fire focused on their cannon.

Have the troops inside the walls prepared to exit through the sides and flank if we gain the advantage.

I feel like I may be forgetting something.
>>
>>95194

The ranks form. Outside the walls stand one thousand seven hundred men, to face four thousand enemy. On the walls stand another thousand men. The Ursines stand as the back line of the formation, with the city guard making up the second line, the mercenaries the next two lines, and the militia three more beyond that. Your block of infantry satdnssteadfast around the mangonel, and four hundred paces in front of your line is the much larger army of Henrik Frederik.

Henrik Frederik's cavalrya re baited forward by the marcher cavaqlry, and they crash into the abatis, the front rank collapsing down on the caltrops. Their numbers severely weakened by your defenses, they are locked in skirmish with the Marcher cavalry to the left flank of the two battle lines.

The enemy lines are arranged with thick wooden shields on all sides, bristling with spears. The Mangonel fires, and the stone shot hits on target, slamming into the side of the enemy catapult. The Golem's chain snaps, and the huge stone thing looks confused, as if debating with itself. The enemy marches forward, and several men are wounded by the caltrops, but they are quickly lifted from the field and discarded. The enemy line navigates the abatis line well enough, and then their archers begin to fire, their back ranks launching a volley of arrows into your line. Many are killed, and the militia waver.

Your archers fire, and a larger volley falls upon the shields of the enemy. The enemy archers are devastated, but the infantry remains strong, marching forward towards your line. The enemy betrays no weakness, and their formation falls into a wedge, with the flanks falling back and the center surging forward. They are fifty paces away now, and the hail of arrows continues to fall. Another shot from the Mangonel is impossible from this range, and the men manning the machine form up around it.

>What are your orders?
>>
Rolled 20 (1d20)

>>95343

Sorry i had to take care of a few things. I'll be semi afk for the next hour or so as well.

Have the men fall back and into formations. Let them continue coming as the archers and slingers on the wall continue volleys. Once they are 25 yards away or so have the men charge with all the fury they can muster, archers continue firing into the back lines.
>>
File: tegaki.png (20KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
20KB, 400x400px
Perhaps form a concave circle formation so when the enemy comes at us they're semi engulfed within our ranks

Using our own troops as shock troops we ursines should flank to the right and i mean FAR RIGHT flank as much as we can to get behind the enemy formation.

Hoping our main lines doesn't falter and fold our flank should draw a good healthy chunk of soldiers allocated to our flanking forces further destablising their ranks

From there we should charge their forces

Hoping our charge would allow the enemy to show signs of weakness within their front lines against the levies allowing the levies to take advantage in their cracked defense

sorry shitty mouse on laptop drawing
>>
>>95597
well that sucks

Not sure if you still wanna continue this civ quest with only 2 people playing op
>>
>>95597
>>95615

Your men await the enemy, forming into a bowl shaped line, ursines concentrated upon the right flank, and the wedge slams into your center, the more disciplined enemy hacking it's way through the first line but being quickly repulsed by the marcher boys, and unable to fight properly with the barrage of arrows raining upon them. Your men step back, and back, and back, with the flanks remaining where they are. The center wavers under the weight of their foe, but they continue to fight as the mercenary forces are hacked down and the guardsmen take point.

The battlecry goes up, and the flanks surge forward into the enemy flanks, the ursine soldiers fighting with the primal fury befitting their training. It is a bloody and brutal battle on each of the flanks, many men on either side fall, but as the enemy center pushes forwards, your center begins to falter and the remaining militia turn to flee, being hacked down. The center, however, is not lost, much to the contrary. The remaining center troops split in two, to guard the sides of each flank. Now the enemy finds itself hemmed in by the walls and your now split flanking forces.

The enemy continues to fight, forcing the left flank back by a considerable margin, but their fate is sealed. Seeing this, the enemy forms into a diamond formation, shields up and spears bristling. Your lines cannot crack their formation, and your arrows prove ineffective too. The enemy formation remains steadfast, but they are surrounded. They stand still for the moment, but they will surely tire soon. The Golem in the back of their force, perhaps twenty feet in height and another eight wide, rises from its' confusion, an inarticulate roar of glee emanating from its' stone mouth as it goes to work annihilating the enemy supply train.

The enemy formation will not crack. Their elite core will not falter, and they seem to be hewing their way out from between your lines, away from the walls. The militia has been severely damaged, and your ursines have taken heavy casualties. This is a bloody battle, and victory is not quite assured yet, as the cavalry remain locked in skirmish, and the enemy stands with a force of more than a thousand locked in a diamond formation.
>>
>>95715
We can end for this session and start up again next Saturday.
>>
>>95802
Order some bearmen to lob heavy rocks at the enemy shields, put broken shields/anything wooden on fire and throw those too, burrow the enemy in a rain of debris and fire
>>
>>95808
alright

thanks for the quest op

I really hope more people join in

Maybe put in a nice looking pic in each post because that seems to keep the more popular quest threads alive lol
>>
love the thead, reading up
>>
>>94630
Does the enemy even have enough men for a long siege? I think the Prince just wants to dick around, pillage and rape the land and try to bait us into coming out.
We can get support by rivers even when the enemy army is there, right?

Or maybe the enemy has allies inside the city to open the gates for him?

I would like to
1) Get more mercenaries: When the enemy surrounds us, we will have more troops at any one point of attack than him.
2) Do a "security" purge inside the city: Execute known criminals (city guard knows them) to prevent possible unrest, seize the property of some price-gouging merchants (just to get more money), seize a grand house as our planning HQ (and don't give it back after the siege) and seize all ships (ours now).

>>93743
Yes, timezones suck - or maybe people don't yet know about qst? No, can't really believe that... constant art work: copy&paste naked girls?
>>94690
could be useful
>>
>>100699
"forgot" to update, sorry - ignore this
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.