[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Soldier Of Misfortune: A 40k Quest Part 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Welcome to Soldier of Misfortune!

This quest follows the exploits of Elaine Isabella Delasante, an unfortunately lucky young noblewoman turned mercenary and pilot.

Last thread Elaine was part of a horrible orbital lander crash and was rescued by a strange mercenary company that calls itself the "Sectorless Soldiers" (SeS). Elaine is currently at a hidden SeS base where her injuries are being treated and thanks to her personal data-slate, which survived the crash, she has learned much about her past. Where we last left off Elaine was about to go through an orientation interview with a senior member of the SeS.

...And the hive planet you're on, Chorovak, is currently in a bit a four way civil war/xenos invasion clusterfuck. Thinks lots of Orks and Tau, and half the PDF has turned traitor. Fun times!

Previous thread can be found here: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/39197/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're currently in an unsealed interrogation chamber and sitting in a plasteel folding chair, and on the other side of a small metal table sits a tall dark skinned man who looks to be on the far side of forty years old. Judging by his red beret and the way he holds himself you'd guess that he's a senior member of the company.

The light above you is quite dim but you can still clearly make out his features - a strong jawline, a nose that must have been broken many times in the past, what looks to be shrapnel scarring near his dark brown eyes, and almost his close shaven almost ashen colored hair. You've decided to let him speak first, you've been treated well so far by his compatriots and owe them quite a considerable debt for rescuing you from that horrible beach. His voice echoes through the room, a smooth baritone, as he asks his first question.

"Do consider yourself to be a soldier, Elaine? What do you fight for?"

You were expecting him to open with a greeting or introduction, not a question. It lingers in the air for a moment before you answer, as you stop to consider what you even are. You were certainly a soldier before the crash, but do you really want to continue that life? Would most people even consider mercenaries to be proper soldiers?

>Yes, I've been in a few conflicts.
>Yes, I've always wanted to be one.
>No, not anymore.
>No, just a hired gun.
>Hey, I just do this for fun - call me whatever you want.
>Write-in.
>>
>>77862
>and almost his close shaven almost ashen colored hair.

Should have been "And his close shaven almost ashen hair."
>>
>>77862
>Write-in.
Yes Sir!
>>
>>78659
And I fight to live sir!
>>
>>77862
>Write-in
What's it matter to you, you old fart?
>>
"Yes sir!", you snap out without further hesitation, "I fight to live, sir!".

Woah. Where'd that come from? Is this some of the old you bleeding through? It felt... good. This sudden feeling of confidence is familiar and yet so strange. And why are you calling this old fart sir? Oh, yeah, probably the uniform and that voice.

A grin spreads across the man's face weathered face, it seems this is the answer he was hoping for. "Excellent, a natural soldier and survivor; quite the combination , Elaine. I'm expecting great things from you.", he states matter-of-factly.

"Great things, sir? Why would you think that?", you ask inquisitively, curious as to why he puts so much stock in a person he only just met. Considering what happened yesterday you can't argue that you're a survivor - you're hardly even injured after falling out of the sky!

"Hakim told me all about your extraction, Elaine, how you managed to out flank two airmen while injured and barely conscious. An impressive feat to accomplish in such a state, even for a veteran. I understand that you were suffering from amnesia at the time, and perhaps still are, but you still never forgot how to fight - how to think like a true soldier.", he says with a tone and cadence you've only ever heard from a priest before - like this is almost some sort of religious experience for him.

"Have you ever thought of fighting for a greater cause, Elaine?"

Have you?

>Yes, a few times, but I'm not sure what you're getting at.
>No, never seriously. Why are you asking?
>...Is this some sort of cult thing or an interview? Getting really mixed signals here.
>Write-In
>>
Before I go to sleep

>>
>>79203
>>
"I've... No, I haven't.", you say as you shift a little in your chair, "What exactly do you mean?".

Service in the Guard or Navy had never seemed appealing to you, and the ministorum wasn't exactly a compelling option either - the handful of priests on Sunset were corrupt beyond belief, taking bribes from all three noble families, and the entire affair left you with a very bad taste in your mouth by the time you had set out to be a mercenary.

The man leans forward slightly, resting his arms on the small table between you, and his voice fills the room once again.

"Gelt and the thrill of a good fight can't sustain a soldier forever, Elaine. Something more is needed,", he says as he clenches his gloved hand into a fist,"a greater personal cause - vengeance, vindication, peace, whatever it may be. That's what we do in our company, Elaine. We fight in every sector, for the highest man to the lowest, and we do it all for our own reasons - not money, not fame. We fight together but for our own personal causes. What cause would you fight for, Elaine?".

You fought mostly for entertainment and adventure as a mercenary, but is that still true? Was there really never a higher cause, just relief from boredom?

What would you fight for?

>My friends. What use is a soldier without a squad?
>To get my memory back. If I had a cause before I can't remember it now.
>Peace, wherever I can make it. Why would I fight if not for peace?
>Write-In.
>>
>>82314
>Peace, if I can find it.
>>
>>82314
>Friends
>>
>>82314
>>To get my memory back. If I had a cause before I can't remember it now.
>>
A number of thoughts race through your mind as you consider his question, and you sit in silence for a moment as you contemplate it. Friends are certainly worth fighting for, and finding a sort of inner peace would be as well. Then there's the issue of your memories, so many of them are simply missing and you'd fight like hell to get them back.

You finally speak up, "Not just just one.".

The man nods, "I believe I understand, Elaine. Your causes are your own, never let another steer you from them - If you wish to share them you may do so, or like so many others here you may stay silent. I'd like to offer a you a position in the Sectorless Soldiers, if you'll take it.".

Well, there it is. You knew it would come to this eventually, ever since Hakim informed you at the beach that your 'rescue' was part of their recruitment process. They stitched you up, gave you a place to sleep and a warm meal, and now they're trying to get you to sign up - but is it really worth it? They seem like good people and competent professionals, and you know they're not traitors or some cult - you passed a small but fairly orthodox chapel on your way through the base earlier. Your previous employer is probably still around somewhere though so you've got other options, and... you could probably think of something if you say no, you've always had good luck with those sorts of things.

>Yes, I'll join the SeS.
>No, I carve my own path.
>I need time to think about it.
>Ask more questions (Write-In). You still don't even know this man's name.
>>
>>83392
>Write In
Why do you care, you grey-haired cowboy?
>>
>>83392
>Write In
First I must pray to the Emperor for guidance.
>>
>>86975
Seconded
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.