[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post-War Winter [Chapter I]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 2

Mechanisms and rules will become evident as they are needed. I suspect this will eventually turn into a nation/base quest, where you not only lay out decisions for the protagonist but also direct the community he is part of as a whole.

The old ways of the world are gone, melted in nuclear fire and sin. Very few have survived and, of those who did, even fewer chose to take up the fight.

The rest... they survive. Any way they can. You are Emmerson Cross, an elected Sheriff type figure in charge of general security within a small community of survivors who currently call the State Library ruins their home.
>>
File: tumblr_nyhdj4YzYo1s24qluo3_1280.jpg (131KB, 800x540px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nyhdj4YzYo1s24qluo3_1280.jpg
131KB, 800x540px
>>739164

You awaken with a stale taste in your mouth. Whiskey from the night before, baked in by smoke and a dissatisfying lack of sleep.

Shuffling, you bring your feet to the cold floor and try to rub some kind of consciousness back into your face. Outside the sounds of daylight echo by your door - footsteps, quiet conversations, the distant, soft thudding of the construction teams in the foyer.

Fuck. They were meant to be done two days ago. The haziness of the night before prevents any real recollection of what it was the engies were meant to be doing down there, but you know they're running behind. Someone's going to be pissed, a shouting match you'd likely be the mediator to.

With no natural light to use as a guide, your body suggests that it probable late morning by now. Still a bit foggy, you start pulling together a uniform for the day, tightening thick boots and digging around for something to wear on the upper levels. Something warm.

The small room, once the office of some administrator to the library, is a mess. Old books and furniture that hasn't been picked up by the Reclamation teams is amassed against one wall, a small cot and several piles of 'belongings' otherwise leaving the room bare. The only light comes from under the door, a sliver of a yellow glow from the hall bulbs.

Beside the cot is an old handgun, what people have started referring to as your 'service pistol', and a pack of cigarettes that you've been struggling to keep hidden. You tuck them away, holstering the weapon, and find your feet.

This late hour means the mess would already be empty. The 'boss' would be on the prowl by now, too. If he's not instigating some new level of verbal sparring match with the engineer team, he's probable on the way here to kick your ass out of bed.

Regardless, the dull thud in your head mediates any worries about the late night and kind of carefree calm settles on you.

Where should you head first?

>> Wander the halls
>> Find your boss, the 'Mayor'
>> Head for the foyer to inspect the construction work
>> Find something to eat
>> Other (write in)
>>
>>739169
>Find something to eat
>>
>>739169
>Find something to eat
>>
>>739195
>>739203

>> Find something to eat.

Your stomach rumbles as you grab your keys. Heading out of the small office you call home you stop to secure the lock on the door before starting on down the hall. A hangover is still stalking along, threatening to show its ugly head, and you focus intently on the hallway ahead to avoid it.

Last thing you need is people realising you might have some good alcohol hidden away. Not very sheriff-like, to keep something like that a secret.

What was once an administrative block is now residential housing. As you wander by open doorways you see other living quarters, in similar disarray as your own, and nod a 'hello' to some familiar faces who catch your gaze. Most people on this level are what the community has started calling Anytimers - people who don't have any tangible, post-war expertise that can help keep everyone alive. They're on call, then, doing odd jobs like cleaning, manning the kitchen, helping with laborious work like moving shelves from one floor to another.

They're good people, mostly. Older folk, usually, and a few teenagers. Most of them came here in bad shape and are only now just getting back on their feet, eager to help and share the load.

You reach the corridors end and climb the stairs, two at a time. The blood's pumping properly now and you suddenly feel energy creep into your demeanour. Maybe you hadn't drunk so much, after all. The crisp morning air hits you as you reach the first sub-level and chatter echoes down the hall toward you. You were wrong, after all.

The mess, which is a large storage room that was cleared out on day one, is still active. Rows of impromptu tables - mostly desks, but also a few overturned bookshelves - fill most of the room. A large canteen is setup here where the Anytimers go about preparing meals. Nothing fancy, but you're a little relieved to have not missed something warm this morning.

Nobody is on duty as you approach but there are a few people scattered around the room, either chatting quietly or finishing up their meals. You're not the only late riser today.

>> Grab a plate and join some of the others
>> Find something for the road and continue on
>> Other (write in)
>>
>>739264
>Grab a plate and join some of the others
Need energy for the day
>>
You splatter down some beans and what's MEANT to be scrambled eggs onto a plate, grabbing a mug of water before seeking out somewhere to sit yourself. Too late for coffee, it seems.

Across the room you find yourself seated nearby a young couple talking. The woman you don't know, surprisingly since she doesn't have any of the mannerisms of a new arrival, but the young man you know - Jarrod Clark. He's young, quiet, and knows his stuff. A good kid to have around, even if he's still a bit green. Last you heard he'd just started doing some shadowing with the engineers.

"Morning officer." You can tell the formality is a joke, though something on the young guy's face suggests he's not so sure himself. You just smile, inspecting the beans on your plate.

"We're meant to eat this stuff, right?"

You spend some time talking with the pair. The girl, after all, is a new arrival. Apparently she arrived only a few weeks back with one of the King scout groups. She's been assigned to the clinic. By the time you were back 'on the beat', you'd forgotten her name.

It's easier that way...

Jarrod didn't have much news. You were thankful he didn't mention anything about the incident the day before, adamant that he would have heard about it in some way. A few of the looks you received from others around the mess hall during your short stay suggested that not everyone was going to be so polite.

You knew that already, anyway. Part of the job.

Downing the last mouthful you say your goodbyes and head out, not yet decided on what's next.

Given the time of day, there would definitely be paperwork and status reports waiting in your office. The boss man would be searching for you soon, too, a conversation you weren't quite ready to have just yet.

>> Wander the halls for a while
>> Find your boss, the 'Mayor'
>> Head for the foyer to inspect the construction work
>> Head to your office
>> Other (write in)
>>
>>739331
>Find your boss, the 'Mayor'
>>
>>739331
> Head to your office
>>
>>739331
>>> Find your boss, the 'Mayor'

May as well get it over with
>>
>>739336
>>739366

>>> Find your boss, the 'Mayor'

You give a deep sigh before tackling the next set of stairs. You're adamant at this point that you know where to find Saul Anderson.

As you hit the top of the staircase, passing a few construction workers who look sleep deprived to say the least, the shouting from far down the lobby meets your ears.

Above the mess is the main foyer of what used to be the State Library. A large expansive lobby with small store rooms and offices branching off it, overlooked by a second floor balcony that would usually be host to some fancy exhibits the curator had on.

Now the place is chaos, the expansive glass runners along the front of the building replaced with ugly metal sheets and makeshift barricades. The cold is intense up here, seeping straight through the half hearted external wall that the engies have produced, and you shudder involuntarily as you cross the foyer.

The engineering team are working on the wall, assembling any kind of barrier they can with mismatched chunks of metal and timber reclaimed from the old furnishings of the building. You can feel the odd whisps of wind as you pass by, indicating more than a few holes in the structure. It was always going to take some time.

The foreman, one of the oldest individuals in the outpost, gives you a knowing nod as you wander by. His face pleads 'get that bastard out of here so we can work' and you just return the gesture.

Saul, the unprecedented mayor of a mere 117 people, is up on the balcony. He's holding a long grey coat close to his body, reminiscent of a soviet bureaucrat, as he shouts down at a startled looking figured you recognise as Karen Jones. She is, in the sake of formality, the engineer administrator. Making plans, sourcing materials, setting rosters and priorities - her job.

Right now, despite not being able to even make out the words from your approach, she was getting hell brought down on her by a man who's greatest contribution to the outpost so far was the 'Mayoral Inauguration Day' celebration - a total farce.

How do you approach your 'boss'?

>> Jump right in and break up the conflict - you've had enough of this old bastard's shit
>> Diplomatically talk him down - the engineers have done nothing but improve the outposts since the team was assembled
>> Standby and let him finish - he's your boss, after all
>> Other (write in)

I'm happy for you to write in on any of the above and give some dialogue to the situation!
>>
>>739441
>Jump right in and break up the conflict
>>
>>739441
>Diplomatically talk him down - the engineers have done nothing but improve the outposts since the team was assembled
>>
>>739441
>>> Diplomatically talk him down - the engineers have done nothing but improve the outposts since the team was assembled

I'm all for going dick tator folks, but lets just see where it goes for now
>>
>>739468
>>739486

>Diplomatically talk him down - the engineers have done nothing but improve the outposts since the team was assembled

"Come on boss, let's just crank it down a few notches."

The shouting suddenly stops. There's an odd silence as both of them look at you - Jones, as if she's startled by the sudden of abuse and doesn't know how to react, and Saul, with a red face and spittle slowly crawling down his chin. His eyes are filled with a red fury.

Even downstairs, as the cacophony ceases, the thudding of construction tools comes to a halt for a few moments as the team look upward, wondering what's going on.

"Down a few notches?! Are you fucking kidding me!?" The old man has never looked for outraged.

"Boss... Mayor.. please. This isn't needed. The team's working as fast as they can, they're getting things done." You point down to the work team, remembering how much the old man likes his title. "See? I seem to remember there being a huge hole in that barricade two days ago. Where's it gone? These boys were working day and night to get it sealed up, and it's being done."

The old man is breathing heavily and you can see he's not buying the logic of the situation. Too little, too soon - might as well be on his mayoral crest.

"How long does it take to fill a damn hole? We've got people freezing to death downstairs and they're up here drawing lines and making measurements and.. and..." he snatches a small ledger from Karen's hands, hurling it to the floor, "...and drawing fucking pictures. And people are freezing! How difficult could it be!" The yelling's wearing him out at this point and you take your opportunity.

>> [Deception] "Things... are moving along fine. I've already spoken to the team, everything's coming together as planned. They needed more materials from downstairs and Reclamation dropped the ball. It'll be all taken care of by tonight.

>> [Negotiation] "Everything's under control. Let me handle this one. You've got more important things to do, boss. I'll talk to them, whip them into gear, and if it's not finished up tonight I'll answer to you."

>> Other (write in)
>>
>>739543
>>> [Negotiation] "Everything's under control. Let me handle this one. You've got more important things to do, boss. I'll talk to them, whip them into gear, and if it's not finished up tonight I'll answer to you."
Lazy dipshits should not be lazy dipshits
>>
>>739543
>>> [Deception] "Things... are moving along fine. I've already spoken to the team, everything's coming together as planned. They needed more materials from downstairs and Reclamation dropped the ball. It'll be all taken care of by tonight.
>>
>>739543
>[Negotiation] "Everything's under control. Let me handle this one. You've got more important things to do, boss. I'll talk to them, whip them into gear, and if it's not finished up tonight I'll answer to you."
>>
So we're gonna go leaders now schemers?

Sounds good
>>
>>739552
>>739560

>> "Everything's under control. Let me handle this one. You've got more important things to do, boss. I'll talk to them, whip them into gear, and if it's not finished up tonight I'll answer to you."

[+1 Negotiation]

It felt like a weak attempt but Saul must have been ready to give in. Shouting can be an exhausting feet for an old bureaucrat. The flush in his face ever so slightly begins to subside and he sighs, ignoring the young woman beside the two of you.

"Yes. Fine." He turns to leave, heading for the stairs to the upper levels where his office and the old exhibition rooms are. "Get it done."

A sigh of relief comes from Karen a few moments after his departure and you get the impression she'd been holding her breath. Below, a very dull thudding begins again as the team gets back to work, working with their elementary tools to bend chunks of old steel from the basement into working parts of a makeshift gate.

"Should buy some time, at least." You smile to the young woman, noting how in over her head she is. She just nods, reaching for the ledger that had been thrown to the floor. As she rises, you catch her eyes fall onto the handgun strapped to your waist, and there's an instant tension in the air.

You'd forgotten she had been there the previous day. So many people had watched.

"Thank you. We'll get on it. I don't... a few tools went missing, a few orders down to Reclamation didn't seem to make it. Just bad timing." She doesn't sound so sure.

"Missing tools? Does that even happen?" She nods.

"I didn't want to make a fuss, but I've put in a report to your office. I doubt it's... theft. People just lose things. Who would steal here, anyway? What's the point?" She started for the stairs and you mutter a quiet agreement, letting her go.

Since setting into the building and creating some kind of formal social structure, theft had never been a problem. Everyone was always content just getting along, or avoiding those who didn't, and keeping busy. The idea of actual investigative work almost makes you smile. This isn't your life.

>> Double check on the engies, make sure things are on track
>> Head to your office
>> Other (write in)
>>
>>739614
>>> Double check on the engies, make sure things are on track
>>
>>739614
> Double check on the engies, make sure things are on track
>>
>>739614
>>
>>739622
>>739666
>>739669

Best set the record straight, you figure. You're night's either going to be a quiet one, or one filled with verbal abuse, depending on whether there's air flowing through this damned barricade. Might as well sort it out now.

"So what's the deal? You guys on track like I just said you are?" You take the stairs down, shouting over the clamour of tools on metal, and the foreman approaches. You'd always dealt with the engineers directly, or with Karen, and so you'd never needed much of a conversation with the man in charge.

"We're on track. Yeah. Thanks for.." He trails off, wiping greasy hands down his overalls as he looks over at the team, still working on straightening out a chunk of metal you assume used to be a furnace or some kitchen appliance.

"It'll get done. Just struggling to appropriate all this junk, y'know? We don't have the tools for it." Another subtle plea to the man who, apparently, has the ear of the mayor. If only it were that easy, you thought.

"Understood. Good. We just need to get this cleaned up as soon as possible. It's not really the temperature he's worried about, I'm sure you know. Sooner people don't see this gaping hole, sooner they can stop worrying about the maniacs who made it." You think back to the siege, now only a week ago, and if feels like eternity. The memories are just blurs of gunfire and shouting and useless waste of life.

The foreman nods and pats you on the shoulder before returning to the world, issuing out instructions to his small team and helping them forge new materials from the pile of junk nearby. If nothing else, their work looks sturdy.

>> Head to your office
>> Other (write in)

(sorry if things are moving slowly!)
>>
>>739723
>>> Head to your office
>>
>>739723
>Head to your office
>>
>>739723
>>> Head to your office
>>
>>739730
>>739731
>>739740

>>> Head to your office

Content that work is progressing as best it can you give the thumbs up and pull your jacket tighter, heading back for the stairs. Your office, a small room that was once filled with archives, is on the ground floor. Tucked near the back of the building, with externally facing windows now covered in metal plating, the room is dark and isolated.

A pair of desks - one by the door and one against the back wall - are the only main features of the room. An old dusty computer sits on the furthest away desk, your work station, accompanied by a dirty mug and a scattering of papers.

Sarah, your assistant, isn't around. She isn't usually, coming and going as needed and taking care of administrative arrangements for the mayor when you don't have her occupied. Regardless of her presence, however, clicking on the hanging bulb on the ceiling reveals that she's come and gone.

Paperwork - a neat pile of old torn pages - sits on your desk. Messages from around the outpost, status reports on where everything is at, that type of thing. If nothing more, a sense of civility and bureaucracy is something the mayor has kept alive in this place. It has it's benefit, sure, but some days you'd rather just upturn the whole place and start over.

You let out a sigh, closing the door, and settling in to absorb the recent news.
>>
>>739790

//// WEEK 1 - STATUS REPORT

//// OUTPOST \\\\

// SUPPLIES
[117] Inhabitants
[1] Internal Security Personnel (just you)
[11] External Security Personnel*
[5] Food (weeks)
[7] Fresh Water (weeks)
[8] Fuel for Generators (weeks)
[Low] Medical Supplies

*2 Patrol and Recon teams run by Angus King.

// FACILITIES
Mess Hall
Living Quarters (for up to 150)
Communications Office
Armoury
Barricaded Entry
Engineering
Reclamation Workshop

// ASSETS
[2] SUVs
[1] Pickup Truck
[17] Rifles
[3] Shotguns
[6] Handguns

// NOTEWORTHY FACES
Saul Anderson - Mayor
Jarrod Clark - Engineering Shadow
Karen Jones - Engineering Logistician
Angus King - Patrol Leader
Sarah Ward - Sheriffs Admin

// NOTEWORTHY ISSUES
- Possible theft of engineering tools on sublevel 3. Reported in by Karen Jones. Assumed to be the misplacing of tools. Priority - low.
- Message from Angus King - "Recon needs more weapons. Need approval to hit the markets on West and Brokers. Get Saul on board. We're bored down here."
- Message from Communications - "Close to getting the radios online. Need authority and process for broadcasting. Can you do this, or do we need to talk to Mayor?"
//// EMMERSON CROSS \\\\
//// Sheriff

// SKILLS
[2] Firearms
[2] Negotiation
[1] Survival

// TRAITS
Nil

// PERSONAL BELONGINGS
- Handgun
- Cigarettes
- Half a bottle of Whiskey

>> Respond to a Message... (indicate)
>> Send message... (indicate what and who)
>> Investigate report... (indicate)
>> Contact or visit... (indicate who)
>> Other (write in)

/// MECHANICAL INTRODUCTION
While you would want to seek the Mayors permission or guidance on a lot of things, you have reign over management of the community - building new facilities, authorising patrols, creating new internal politics or laws or functions. It's all on you.

Breaking off onto specific tasks (messages, reports, or visiting another community member) will take you back to the personal level. Otherwise, Turn/Week resolution will occur at this strategic level until an event forces you to deal with it.
>>
>>739802
>>> Respond to a Message... (indicate)
Communications
>>
>>739802
>Respond to a Message... (indicate)
>Communications
>>
>>739823
>>739855

Communications

With nobody to run a message for you, and the need to procrastinate from status reports quite high on your list of things to do, you're back on your feed in no time and heading up to what everyone has started calling the 'communications office'.

Since setting into the building, contact with the outside has been scarce. Most people King and his recon groups find out in the wild are either dead or shooting at them. It's an abrasive world.

Beyond the local neighbourhood, though, logic suggests there must be others out there who are living and surviving like the Library folk are. As such, getting a method of communication to that broader outside world jumped to the top of the list as soon as food, water and heat were taken care of.

The Comms Office is small and pokey, up on the first level. There are a few desks covered in old electrical equipment and devices. Sharon Twist, likely the one who shot you the scrawled message, is the only person on site when you arrive. In the centre of the room is an old desk and with a mounted regional map of the state. A large computer, hooked up to an old radio set, sits to one side.

Wires are everywhere.

"I got the message. You think we're actually ready to go online?"

She just nods, fiddling with something behind the computer for a few moments. Finally, satisfied with whatever it was she was assembling, the young woman looks up.

"Sorry? Yeah. Right. I think we are." You've never met someone so airy as Sharon, but talent is talent. She's one of one hundred, seventeen who knows anything about electronics and wiring.

"Yeah, I think we are." She repeats, moving to one side of the room to switch on a small generator. "Just a few more wave tests and we should be able to figure out how to get it all talking to each other. Most of this gear was fried, so it's been a struggle, but I think we've got something solid here."

Her tone goes serious and, switching on the power, her eyes finally meet yours.

"Are you able to give the green light? I know there were early talks about this stuff... what we broadcast, how much we share, who we target. Not to mention the frequency we go online - it's going to use a lot of power."

>> Give Sharon free reign, authorising communications to begin
>> Set down some strict protocols
>> Set down some lenient protocols
>> Keep comms offline for now - we're not ready for the potential consequences of reaching out to other communities
>> Consult the mayor, Saul
>> Direct Sharon to deal with Saul
>> Deal with this later
>> Other (write in)
>>
>>739902
>>> Set down some strict protocols
>>
>>739902
>Set down some strict protocols
>>
>>739902
>>> Set down some strict protocols

Gotta make sure we don't give our position or anything about us away, at the least.
>>
>>739902
>> Set down some strict protocols.
>>
>>739932
>>739935
>>739943
>>739950

There's no point getting caught with your pants down, not after having so many issues with the patrols lately. There are clearly dangers out there and, if you're making the call, you need to compensate for them.

That being said, then and there, you decided it was something you could handle. Saul didn't need to oversee everything. That conversation could happen another time.

"Ok, do it. We'll start small. I want you supervising every session, twice a day in one hour blocks. A report will come directly to me about the sessions - when they happen, what's said, who's communicating, and any responses." Sharon's already started writing things down.

"Let's keep it simple. No names, no location, no status - just seek people out, create an agreed communication method, and come back to me before you talk to them again. We'll go case by case." She's nodded as you speak and, despite having no precedent to go on, you feel confident this is a good strategy..

"Anything else?" You think hard. Nothing comes.

"No, just let me know when we get started."

If only every task was so easy.
>>
>>739976

//// OUTPOST \\\\

// SUPPLIES
[117] Inhabitants
[5] Food (weeks)
[7] Fresh Water (weeks)
[Low] Medical Supplies

// FACILITIES
Level 3 - Closed off, ruined rooftop
Level 2 - Mayors Office, spare offices
Level 1 - Communications Room, Living Quarters
Ground - Armoury, Sheriffs Office, Foyer
Sublevel 1 - Mess Hall, Storage
Sublevel 2 - Living Quarters
Sublevel 3 - Reclamation, Engineering
Sublevel 4 - Old storage, yet to be reclaimed

// ASSETS
[2] SUVs
[1] Pickup Truck
[17] Rifles
[3] Shotguns
[6] Handguns

// NOTEWORTHY FACES
Saul Anderson - Mayor

// NOTEWORTHY ISSUES
- Possible theft of engineering tools on sublevel 3. Reported in by Karen Jones. Assumed to be the misplacing of tools. Priority - low.
- Message from Angus King - "Recon needs more weapons. Need approval to hit the markets on West and Brokers. Get Saul on board. We're bored down here."
//// EMMERSON CROSS \\\\
//// Sheriff

// SKILLS
[2] Firearms
[2] Negotiation
[1] Survival

// TRAITS
Nil

// PERSONAL BELONGINGS
- Handgun
- Cigarettes

>> Other (write in)
>>
>>739986
>
I should have said - you can also just proceed to the next week.

Maybe you need staffers who can take on tasks for you, that you don't want to manage yourself.
>>
>>739986
Angus King

(I'll have to drop out of this quest for now, I need to go to sleep. Hope this still hold up tomorrow)
>>
>>740021
>>739986
+1
>>
>>739986
>>> Other (write in)

Perhaps we should look into getting ourselves a deputy?
>>
>>740021
>>740025

>> Respond to a Message (Angus King)

Returning from the comms office you decide to take a detour downstairs and kill two birds with one stone - Sarah still isn't around and the recon group need some guidance.

Angus King (which, by the way, you don't believe for a second is his real name) is some kind of ex-military operator who showed up out of nowhere early one... with a bag of guns. Since then, saying little and doing a lot, he's been taking care of the outpost by running patrols with a small, but growing, group of men and women who he deems fit.

Kings Patrol groups. They handle the arctic conditions, scavenging and combat. You manage arguments, stolen tools and internal policies. Sometimes you're not sure which side you'd rather be on.

Kings men and women are, also, responsible for most of the reclamation and scavenging done by the outpost, something that the mayor has had on hold for several weeks now.

You take the stairs down, passing the living quarters and find yourself on the 'industrial' level of fabrication and storage. Engineering is down here, as well as the Reclamation team, and the halls are cold cement and dimly lit.

At the very back of the building, buried deep down beneath the rest of the library, is the small bunker used to house the Recon groups.

Beds, a kitchenette, supplies for scavenger trips. A little clubhouse, you'd always thought.

Most of them are present - some sleeping, some playing cards - when you arrive. Angus, a large, bald man with an accent you've never been able to pin down, doesn't look happy.

"You've come to let us out of the cage, have ye?" You raise your hands in a half joke, half serious surrender.

"Not my call to make, man. Honestly. But I might have some good news."

You hear out his pitch, enjoying the homely feel of the small mess room, not to mention a mug of hot coffee.

From day one King has wanted to check out a large department store in the city, not too far from the library. He's sure, apparently, that there is a weapons store in there somewhere and probably an untouched one, at that. With a growing population to look after the current supplies are dwindling.

This was all part of the arrangement, mind you. King gets his own personnel, his own vehicles, and his own exclusive living area. In return, the mayor (and, by association, you) get the authority.

"Only reason Saul's upset about the idea is that one of our last reports suggested there could be people there already. Nasty people. Squatters, and armed ones at that. Nothing we couldn't handle if push came to shove. Or, you know, killin'." He smirks. You can't tell if it's a joke.

>> Authorise a small, stealthy recon operation, on the side of caution
>> Authorise a fully equipped scavenger operation, including diplomacy if the recon encounters contact
>> Authorise a run'n'gun assault on the department store
>> Consult the mayor
>> Direct Angus to go straight to the mayor
>> Defer this decision for another time
>>
>>740134
Stealth recon, scope the place out, see if the rumors of squatters are true. Don't engage, just gather some info.
That is what needs to be done, how it's done is up to Angus.
>>
>>740134
>Authorise a small, stealthy recon operation, on the side of caution
>>
>>740134
>> Authorize a small, stealthy recon operation, on the side of caution.
Pretty much this >>740154
Then
>> Consult the mayor.
>> Direct Angus to go straight to the mayor.
To make a decision.
>>
>>740134
>>> Authorise a fully equipped scavenger operation, including diplomacy if the recon encounters contact

Might just be worth the gamble if we can bring any people there into the fold if they've got a large stock of guns and gear. Likely not worth the risk shooting it out tho
>>
>>740154
>>740157

You stop and think for a while, listening to his words. You're vaguely aware that the other ten people in the room are all listening intently, to. Not to King, but for your response.

"Ok. Listen." No. Mistake. No good news ever starts that way.

"You've got a good point here, and I agree with you - we don't have the kind of equipment that we probably need to protect ourselves, not when more people are showing up every other weeks." He take a sip from the mug, acutely aware that it's empty, before continuing.

"I don't think we can take any risks out there, either. I don't want you or anyone else taking a slug because we were desperate. We're not desperate. Not yet. This thing... it's gotta be smart."

You spend the next half hour nailing out a plan - not just to give things the personal touch of having the mayor's offsider helping in the planning, but also to ensure you know all the details in case something goes wrong.

King picks three others and the four go for a recon. They'll each be armed, taking handguns and rifles, and a vehicle. The vehicle will be left an hour's walk out of the zone and the four will proceed on foot.

Emphasis on diplomacy and intelligence. Nobody will announce their presence or pull the trigger until it's a life or death situation. King and his will return back asap and report on what they learn.

"And then we'll go from there."

As you leave you feel content that this should buy some time - King's guys aren't happy, but at least they have some activity.
>>
>>740194

//// OUTPOST \\\\

// SUPPLIES
[117] Inhabitants
[5] Food (weeks)
[7] Fresh Water (weeks)
[Low] Medical Supplies

// FACILITIES
Sublevel 1 - Mess Hall, Storage
Sublevel 3 - Reclamation, Engineering, King's Clubhouse

// ASSETS
[2] SUVs
[1] Pickup Truck
[17] Rifles
[3] Shotguns
[6] Handguns

// NOTEWORTHY FACES
Saul Anderson - Mayor

// NOTEWORTHY ISSUES
- Stealthy Recon mission is underway. King has taken three others to investigate a possible weapons store worthy of looting. They are expected back within 24 hours.

//// EMMERSON CROSS \\\\
//// Sheriff

// SKILLS
[2] Firearms
[2] Negotiation
[1] Survival

// TRAITS
Nil

// PERSONAL BELONGINGS
- Handgun
- Cigarettes

>> Other (write in)
>>
>>740202
>>> Investigate report... (indicate)
>Possible theft of engineering tools on sublevel 3. Reported in by Karen Jones. Assumed to be the misplacing of tools. Priority - low.
>>
>>740202
>Investigate report...
>theft
>>
>>740202
I think every time we commit an action, we should write up a report at the end of the day/week and give it to the Mayor, so that he doesn't blow a gasket thinking that we're doing his job for his.
>>
>>740251

I think it's fair to assume that as internal security/right hand man? we have a fair bit of leeway in how we conduct our business, so long as we don't fuck up.
>>
>>740220
>>740233

So at the moment we are going to go ahead and investigate. However I think >>740251 is a good idea and I need to cap how many actions a day/week we take.

I think I'll change the status reports to daily and give you guys 3 actions a day. So we are currently voting on #3 for today, beyond the intro narrative.

I'll recount in a few minutes.
>>
>>740277

Sounds good
>>
>>740220
>>740233

>>Investigate Report... possible theft

The day is wearing on and, finally, Sarah appears in your office as you return from the King's clubhouse downstairs. She's already busy with something new, handwriting notes - probably updates for you to worry about tomorrow.

"Had a good day, hmm? Haven't seen you once?" She doesn't look up.

"I got all my paperwork done when you were still hungover."

You don't reply to sass.

Handing her the notes you've made so far, to go into the daily briefing for Saul, you grab your jacket and call it a day. One more thing to look in on and there's no point coming back up to your office after it. Bidding the young woman a (sarcastic) good night, you start the descent back downstairs.

Karen is around when you arrive, just arriving back from the work site upstairs. She looks exhausted, but content - they must have gotten the barricades finished after all.

"I read your report. Missing tools? What do you think?" She sighs, remembering it, and the pair of you head for her small office.

Some major tools have been lost over the past week and, now that the trend seems to be continuing, Karen's concerned it could be more than absent minded engies. What's of concern is that these are the good, rare tools - the stuff we did without for so long and just recently managed to get our hands on from the scavengers.

She doesn't seem sold on the idea that someone is stealing - there doesn't seem to be any reason to, not in such a confined and close community. More likely, the engineers have lost them or misplaced them, being overworked as they are. They've been running flat for weeks now, clearing debris and constructing barricades. They're starting to make mistakes.

>> Investigate the thefts formally, interviewing people and searching the outpost
>> Delegate the investigation to Karen to report back on
>> Delegate the investigation to Sarah to report back on
>> Disregard - people simply aren't focused on their jobs and this is the price they pay
>> Other (write in)
>>
>>740352
>>> Investigate the thefts formally, interviewing people and searching the outpost
>>
>>740352
>Investigate the thefts formally, interviewing people and searching the outpost
>>
>>740402
>>740398

>Investigate the thefts formally, interviewing people and searching the outpost

You think over the situation for a moment before responding, considering the role you're here to play and how important formality is in setting a precedent of safety and professionalism.

This is your job.

"I'll look into it, Karen. We'll sort it out. Give me some time and I'll get to the bottom of it."

She's too exhausted to be ecstatic, but the appreciation is definitely there. By the time you're back on your way upstairs, you're already considering just how to undertake an investigation.

The first report of theft since the world ended. How ironic, you think, after just authorising what could end up being a looting mission.

The day (and more heavily, the late night you've had) weigh on you by this point and you find yourself back on sublevel 2 before long, unlocking your living quarters. Many others are returning to their quarters, too - a quiet night tonight. The investigation, and whatever else, will need to wait.

You find yourself in bed shortly after, a restless night ahead.
>>
>>740426

//// Day 2 - STATUS REPORT

//// OUTPOST \\\\

// SUPPLIES
[117] Inhabitants
[1] Internal Security Personnel (just you)*
[34] Food (days)
[48] Fresh Water (days)
[55] Fuel for Generators (days)
[Low] Medical Supplies

Patrol and Recon teams run by Angus King. These figures are part of the total 'inhabitants'

// FACILITIES
Sublevel 1 - Mess Hall, Storage, Leisure Quarters
Sublevel 3 - Reclamation, Engineering, King's Clubhouse

// ASSETS
[2] SUVs
[1] Pickup Truck
[17] Rifles
[3] Shotguns
[6] Handguns

// NOTEWORTHY FACES
Saul Anderson - Mayor

// NOTEWORTHY ISSUES
- To Do - investigate the possible theft of engineering tools on sublevel 3. Reported in by Karen Jones. Assumed to be the misplacing of tools.
- Stealthy Recon mission is underway. King has taken three others to investigate a possible weapons store worthy of looting. They are expected back within 24 hours.

//// EMMERSON CROSS \\\\
//// Sheriff

// SKILLS
[2] Firearms
[2] Negotiation
[1] Survival

// TRAITS
Nil

// PERSONAL BELONGINGS
- Handgun
- Cigarettes

>> Other (write in)
>>
>>740431
>- To Do - investigate the possible theft of engineering tools on sublevel 3. Reported in by Karen Jones. Assumed to be the misplacing of tools.
>>
>>740498

I'm going to close it down for now and maybe try again tomorrow or through the week. I think everyone who is interested is asleep.

Thanks for playing!
>>
>>740549
Sounds good.

Be around tomorrow myself.
>>
>>740549
good writing!
do you mind getting a twitter account so you can announce when you run?
>>
Bumping for interest.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.