[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to make good quests?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: Roll your class.png (3MB, 4183x5474px) Image search: [Google]
Roll your class.png
3MB, 4183x5474px
How do you even make good quests?
>>
Rolled 6 (1d12)

>>690162
That's a good question. Sadly I am not a DM/QM so I don't know.

Rolling
>>
Rolled 4 (1d20)

Now rolling for traveling companion
>>
File: a minotaur appears.png (127KB, 800x700px) Image search: [Google]
a minotaur appears.png
127KB, 800x700px
>>
You don't disappear without any trace, communicate posting times in previous threads/via Twitter, respond often in threads, manage time well by having tight grip on Anons and hurrying them up at times or putting them in "yes/no" situation for clarification of declaration.

Most importantly - not disappearing without trace. I look at you, Council Quest GM.
>>
Original idea, good balancing, challenges that are difficult but not insurmountable.
>>
>>690480
>original
>>
There are like a fuckon of good archived quests. Go read some. Then you'll know.
>>
Rolled 7 (1d12)

>>690162
You generally want to be a semi-competent writer with some familiarity of the quest's subject matter. Being a regular fa/tg/uy also helps, since quests mostly originated from there.
>>
Rolled 19 (1d20)

>>690162
But there's no real winning formula. You can break from the mold, do things however the fuck you want, and still have a great quest. It really depends on how well you can write characters, interpret player input, and balance the game world versus story progression.

You can just make quests and get better, but if you're a good GM, or you can write engaging stories, you will know how to run a good quest without anyone telling you what to do.
>>
In the end, if you're writing something that you enjoy, and you think is original and interesting, and you put the effort into letting your audience know when you run and where you go, there is still a chance you won't get participation. You just gotta take the leap and build your wings on the way down, hope that you don't fail. Or if you do fail, try to be as awesome as possible.
>>
>>692135
I wish I could be smart and creative enough.
>>
>>690162
What do you call a Homosexual on skates?

A ROLLaids
>>
>>693481
Are you calling me homo?
>>
>>693435
You probably are and just lack experience. So try running and gain experience. It will help refine your style and let you know what works base on reactions.
>>
>>692135
To add to that. Try, try again. If you start something and no one sees it, post it again. What's the harm, right?
Granted, I'm sitting here with an idea and not sure if I even want to try, so who am I to talk, right?
>>
>>696713
Indeed. Many QMs and players here did migrate from /tg/, but there are still a lot of fresh faces on each end too.
There are people who expect a higher value of quality, or who expect their thread to explode with popularity, because that's what they're used to from the "mother board," but there are many people here who have much to learn, a lot of diamonds in the rough.
That isn't to say that the new QMs/playerbase are bad. We're still well into the transitional period, despite being under strict quarantine, and there is much to be established, much to learn.
We as players and QMs should both be more open-minded. Have an idea you want to write? Make something out of it, it doesn't have to be a lot, but just be sure you have something to show for it. See a Quest you might have passing interest in, but it doesn't have very many participants? Give it a heartful vote. Perusing the catalog is important.
>>
>>690162
1d12
>>
>>697676
Fuck I still can't figure it out

dice+1d12
>>
>>697682
>>697676
One more time
(1d12)
>>
Rolled 7 (1d12)

>>697682
Options field bro. The white box above this one and underneath the Name box. But the dice is typed right here, just wrong place.
>>
File: tegaki.png (5KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
5KB, 400x400px
>>697727
Have shitty diagram.
>>
File: How to roll dice.png (170KB, 1944x1096px) Image search: [Google]
How to roll dice.png
170KB, 1944x1096px
>>697682
>>697676
>>697720
Have better diagram.
>>
Rolled 5, 75, 19, 65, 88, 22, 14, 49 = 337 (8d88)

German player here, so different time zone for me.

>When is the best time to start a quest?

>How long will the quest thread I created be online here on /tg/? Wil it be deleted from this board after a defined amount of time?
>>
Rolled 10 (1d12)

>>697727
>>697739
Thank you so much
>>
Rolled 8, 16, 3 = 27 (3d20)

>>697781
>>
Rolled 3, 6, 15 = 24 (3d20)

>>690162
>>
File: tumblr_luzaboLDuh1qkt4uxo1_500.gif (418KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_luzaboLDuh1qkt4uxo1_500.gif
418KB, 500x375px
Rolled 27, 48, 1, 41, 12, 83, 65, 87, 76, 1, 72, 40, 56, 3, 97, 95, 65, 84, 65, 7, 3, 19, 12, 48, 44 = 1151 (25d100)

>>697781
See? Dice can be fun!
>>
>>697780
>When is the best time to start a quest?
I have seen good activity from 6pm to 1am. It's 10:17pm at the moment for me.

>How long will the quest thread I created be online here on /tg/? Wil it be deleted from this board after a defined amount of time?
I have seen threads last about 7 days.
>>
>Avoid using anime/videogame/established settings
These usually end up turning into self-inserts. If you must use an established setting, twist and warp it into something else and I don't mean, have your quest take place in the US instead of Japan

>Avoid multiple love interests
This often results in waifu wars. Either settle for a single love interest from the get-go, or go full harem mode.

>Use pictures
Using pictures per post (and not just character portraits) used to be the norm for quests. Text blocks are fine, but many of the more engaging quests I've participated in made good use of images.

>Find ways to communicate with your players
Just don't turn it into some secret cabal.

>Be wary of how you choose the player posts to act on
Sometimes quests work well with the "post rolling X value decides what happens next" method, while others work better with a voting system. Always be wary of free-form choices.

>Writing things out beforehand can help
Taking too long to update is bad.

>Establish a schedule
Do I even have to explain this one?
>>
Rolled 4 (1d12)

>>690162
lets see what I got
>>
Rolled 7, 10 = 17 (2d20)

>>690162
>>704428
now Traveling Companions
>>
>>690162
Be committed, have a setting that people want to learn more about and a don't let your players decide everything about the MC.
>>
Rolled 4 (1d12)

Testing
>>
Former QM here, I recommend looking over the Starter's Questing Gude, talking to other QMs, reading others quests and just Lurking more.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1emQ6IYzRYN4MG45Zl9a-0UH0ARuWLaBB_U924NXc-DY/pub

Take what you want from the link but "most" of the stuff is sound and solid.
>>
Rolled 2 (1d12)

>>715910
>>
Rolled 19, 1, 6 = 26 (3d20)

>>715911
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.