[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My New World!? Quest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

You are an escapist.

It's not like you're proud of it, but it's undeniable. The ways in which you distract yourself from reality are excessive. Your daily routine consists of playing video games, watching anime, and browsing forums and image boards on the internet, the order of which really depends on the day. You were always this way, to some extent, but after failing out of college you began to find yourself more desperate for an escape. Your parents didn't mind resuming to take care of you, although they urged you to find some sort of job. You have yet to do that. You've yet to do a lot of things. In your mind, it's better to deal with responsibilities and worries by ignoring them.

Your lethargy has only forced you to accumulate more stress, though. After many months without an attempt to pull yourself out of this rut, your parents have offered you an ultimatum: pay some sort of rent at the end of the month or leave. As easy as you think finding a job should be, your social anxiety always keeps you from seeking one out, and what interviews you've had have gone quite poorly. Your wonderful illusions are starting to fade as you consider your position...

Even so, it all means nothing right now. At least until morning, you don't have to worry about a thing.

You gulp down the last of a large cup of soda, it's saccharine sting arousing some mix of nausea and bliss in you. Your eyes feel somewhat the same, having glazed over after hours of fixation on the monitor in front of you. Displayed on the monitor is a music player overlapping a social media feed. Soft music plays from the speakers on your desk, and a portable gaming device is laid out in front of your keyboard. You've been playing an RPG on it, and it sits idly mid-battle, the game's battle music playing only slightly quieter than the music you're listening to. The dissonance created by the competing sounds bothers you too little to inspire you to mute either source.

It's 3:15AM.

Laying your head back against your chair, you look up with wide eyes and sigh deeply. The ceiling swims due to your strained vision.

"Fuck, it's getting late," you speak into your empty room. You've grown a tendency of talking to yourself, especially when you're stressed out. Another sigh leaves your lungs, your chest shrinking once more so that you find yourself staring at the monitor again. As you move to shut down your computer, you hesitate to look at your feed. It's drawn to a slow crawl in the late hours of the night, and nothing new appears when you refresh. As if to compliment this, the song that was playing finishes, looping back to the beginning of your playlist. The repetitive music of the RPG drones on. It all feels eerily static. You've lived this night so many times, now. A cold bead of sweat meets your brow.

"I've... got to stop doing this to myself, huh?"
>>
File: 01_3.jpg (147KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
01_3.jpg
147KB, 1280x720px
>>660132
The whirring of a fan in your desktop stops and your monitor fades to black. You stand up, stretching your legs for a moment before flicking the switch on your wall to make the room dark. Fatigue finally hits you like a train.

You crawl into your bed reluctantly. Staying up any later is just going to make tomorrow more painful, but you still want to stay awake and keep yourself distracted nonetheless. As soon as you pull the covers over yourself and shut your eyes, a noise which you had tuned out catches your attention; you left the game on, and the music penetrates the silence quite blatantly. With an irritated sigh you force yourself out of bed and turn off the game. Realizing you hadn't saved for some time prior to that fight, your irritation grows. You tumble back into bed, now, looking up at the ceiling with a frown of discontent. Involuntarily you observe yourself chuckle, and the frown turns to a smile.

"Could you give me a break?" you say to the ceiling. Your inflexion is warm, as if you're speaking to a friend. Indeed, you and the ceiling have played this game for years. This isn't the first time you've asked a favor of it, and probably not the last time it'll let you down, you think.

Soon enough, you feel yourself falling asleep, and you...

~

"Ahhn... ahh???" Pain. Tremendous pain. It's spilling all over your body. It's creeping down your spine. Pain. From where? Your vision is as cloudy as your mind. What the fuck is going on? You can't even focus because of the trauma, but eventually you sense two things: a color and an aroma. Crimson and copper. That's when you vomit so violently that you fall unconscious again.

You feel yourself lapse in and out of consciousness for the rest of the night, soft whispers meeting your ears, and a gentle touch caressing your body. Each time, as soon as you grow lucid enough to question your circumstances, you fade away once more.

~
>>
>>660147
When you finally wake up, you're met with a sudden, splitting headache. Your memory of last night is hazy, but you can vividly recall that sickening feeling... You cover your mouth as you feel bile rush to your throat, but as a hoarse breath enters your nose, it subsides.

You're not lying in your bed. Instead, your sitting on what seems to be a wooden bench? But you're in an enclosed area, also wooden. It's rocking. Before you can attempt to decide upon exactly where you are, you realize just how clouded your mind has become. First things first -- who are you, again?

In this quest, simple decisions will be based on a vote. The majority vote after a period decided by how active a thread is determines the choice made. Things which test our protagonist's aptitude in any sense will require a roll. Highest roll within a traffic-based time period is used. Unless otherwise specified, rolls will use a d100.

>I'm _______, duh. roll 60 or higher Vote on a name. You're also welcome to offer ideas on character background.
>I... think my name starts with an _? roll 40-59 Vote on a first initial, or leave it to me.
>I have no idea. roll below 40 Ouch.

The bench you're sitting on continues to shake. You're able to conclude at this point that you're sitting in some sort of carriage. You're seated at the right wall of a wagon; to your left past a bit of railing is a window. You can see a rough trail snaking behind the wagon as it moves, fading into a light fog. That's right... it feels cold, but the air is thick. You can see your breath, and as it billows from your mouth is seems to join the mist which covers the morning landscape. You are alone in this wagon, but you know there must be a driver seated out in front of it. There's a small trapdoor on the ceiling against the wall opposite the back window. Of course, the driver could wait. You can feel unfamiliar clothes on your skin, and there's a knapsack next to you on the bench.

>Examine self and inventory, maybe that will give me some clue as to how I got here.
>Go straight to driver, they're my best bet at finding out where the hell I am.
>Open up back window and jump. I don't know what's going on and I can't stand to deal with it.
>>
Rolled 24 (1d100)

>>660167
Anna.
>>
>>660167
>>Examine self and inventory, maybe that will give me some clue as to how I got here.
tradition.
>>
Rolled 21 (1d100)

>>660167
I'm Elizabeth, duh
>>
>>660167
>>660175
Also examine self.
>>
Rolled 34 (1d100)

>>660167
>Examine self and inventory, maybe that will give me some clue as to how I got here
I'm Antoni Pizdec, a polish Gopnik
>>
Rolled 51 (1d100)

>>660167
>I... think my name starts with an _
I'm leaving it all to you.
>>
Rolled 100 (1d100)

>>660167
>I'm Isabelle, and examine self
>>
>>660175
>>660187
>>660196
>>660202
Our winning roll has decided to leave the decision to me. I should specify that our character is male (could have been otherwise if rolls determined so).
>>660216
I started writing this up before you replied, so forgive me. I think from now on, for rolls, I'll pick the highest of the first 4 so that there is no confusion.

"That's right... my name starts with a C-... why am I having so much trouble remembering it?" You stare confusedly out the window, watching the pebbles fly from beneath the wagon.

You decide that you should probably examine yourself before anything else...
>>
Well, I guess we've got an amnesiac.
>>
>>660246
Oh come on mate, you wrote two sentences, and I got a nat100
>>
>>660246
>Nat 100 with no announcement you had started writing
>Lol nope denied
Shit quest, 0/10 try again
>>
>>660246
You're wearing a hooded cloak, one which is light enough to allow for good mobility but also feels robust enough to stand against some wear. It's dark green in color, and reminds you of something. Of course, you're not sure exactly what. Beneath the cloak you've got on some standard clothes, along with leather gloves and worn boots.

Wait -- this isn't standard at all. I mean, it would be standard some centuries ago, perhaps. This isn't what you normally wear, though, not even close. You can remember that much. This is reminiscent of a traveler's gear in some sort of fantasy setting, like... in one of those games you played. That's right. Surely this is a joke?

You quickly rifle through the knapsack next to you, which you can only presume belong to you. There are provisions inside, all things which match your clothing. Candles, rope, bread, none of it is immediately appealing to you.
>>660259
You did get a nat100, and it's really wrong of me to railroad here in terms of your character. It's my first time, so I apologize for that. I'll retcon name/gender in favor of your vote, but you'll still need to recollect some things about your past. I can also give you priority over the following write-in options.

There's something which you expect to find in your bag, an item you're used to having on your person. This is something you can't imagine living without, something you remember having. What is it?
>write-in

You also examine your body as best you can without a mirror and find yourself remembering your appearance in full.
>write-in
>>
>>660282
I'm still kind of finding my way here, so I apologize for the shittiness. I'll stick to my rule of highest of first 4 rolls now to avoid any arguments. I'll also make sure to announce when I've started writing.
>>
>>660312
>Appearance
You are a deliquent of polish descent. A female gopnik of sorts. You have black unkept hair and a seemingly permanent scowl.

I'll let some people think of what item they want before deciding.
>>
I'll have to continue in the morning. Decide among yourselves what item it is you want.
>>660360 has decided appearance/background, but other anons feel free to offer more details if you wish.
>>
Here's a trip because of dynamic ip.
>>
>>660360
>>660373
Well if the protag's a delinquent, seems to me a switchblade might be both appropriate and handy in case shit goes down. Or maybe a high quality combat knife she inherited from great grandpa who fought in the war if you want a touch classier.

>We don't know if there will be com-

There's always combat.

Always.
>>
>>660595
We could have a weapon as a family heirloom or something.
>>
>>660613
Tis why I suggested the knife, but are you suggesting a little higher on the food chain? Old revolver or the like? That's a bit harder to swing given that it's something we 'can't imagine being without'.
>>
>>660647
Gotta have a weapon to protect yourself
Even if its a sword or some shit :^)
>>
>>660312
Difficulty up: We only have our smartphone, cigarettes and some money.

Our appearance is average with a forgettable face, we blend in, people forget about us, because we're so average.
>>
>>661258
This plus a half empty lighter
>>
>>661258
Seconding
>>
wew
>>
>>660216
Fuck you

>>660312
First off, its usually best of 3, fuck that guy for locking us into playing a lesbian. Second, Rolling for shit is nice but leave that shit out of character generation, Majority vote should get priority on that. Third, don't be a pussy. Take criticism but don't let the players browbeat you into doing exactly what they want or they're gonna throw a shit storm when they've legitimately failed or fucked something up until you retcon.
>>
>>660595
>>661258
>>661345
Perhaps all this and some small trinket?
>>661846
Don't get your panties in a twist.
>>
>>661846
chargen that doesn't end in tears and anger - doesn't happen often...
isn't there some warning about that in the qgt links?

>>661995
trinket: swiss army knife or a leatherman
>>
>>662025
Eh, we can just replace the switchblade with a swiss army knife.
>>
>>661995
>>662025
Bugger that we should be a real escapist

Pocket full of junk plus a leatherbound copy of Treasure Island
>>
Alright, if anyone's still around, I'll be resuming pretty soon.

>>661846 has brought up an interesting point, although I'd be an enormous faggot to change my mind too many times before settling on something. I think most of all I've considered the fact that deciding chargen based on a roll is prone to chaos. It was only my intention to decide how much of the past our protagonist remembered with the roll, but it ended up deciding the character's background as a whole.

As such, I'd like to do this: let's have a vote on the character's gender and name. Whichever gender reaches 5 votes first will be chosen, and you can offer up a corresponding name with your vote. If anyone is hell-bent on offering details for a new background they are welcome to do so, but the consensus so far seems to be a delinquent of sorts. (This is interesting to me considering what background I've given in the prologue, but I can find a way to make it work.) It's really nonsensical if the majority is not pleased, so understand I'm only doing this so that we're not stuck with a character that only the highest rolling person wants to play.

I hope that makes sense. From here on out it won't be so wishy-washy, I promise. If you've already had it with my incompetence as a GM you're free to leave, but I hope that going forward I can please those willing to stay along for the ride.

I'll prepare to resume promptly after the vote takes place.
>>
>>662219
Female, Anna.
>>
As for your item, it seems that most are in favor of a swiss army knife. That's not a poor choice, but I'd just like you to consider that this item will be the only familiar thing you inherit from home, and that arms aren't hard to find here. You may want to take something invaluable here.
>>
>>662219
Isabelle, female.
That guy got a nat100.
>>662256
I guess a small scorpion statue? Seems to be our forte with us being an deliquent and all
>>
>>662219
Male

>>662292
That doesn't mean shit.
Ive seen a guy roll a nat100 in a Last Airbender quest for a girl archer with low level Fire bending to fire bend. Shit don't fly if its retarded.
>>
>>662329
You're bitching about just a name and gender, dude
>>
>>662358
I'm pointing out your stupid reasoning.
Vote however you want but don't expect people not to call you out on dumb shit.
>>
>>662256
Some scale might be useful here. Give us a ballpark example on what's acceptable.
>>
>>662219
I choose female.
Name can start with C.
>>
File: 1475430055887.jpg (65KB, 944x670px) Image search: [Google]
1475430055887.jpg
65KB, 944x670px
Rolled 77 (1d100)

>>662219
Male. If we become female. As I have seen throughout the years. They will become bimbo tier sluts. Go for dat booty shake spell. And suck the Krogan Kock (So good). We need to be the other gender, or all prospects of good quest is lost.
>>
File: 1475458534873.png (271KB, 892x720px) Image search: [Google]
1475458534873.png
271KB, 892x720px
>>660246
>Pain
>Feeling of copper and look of crimson.
>Implying C isn't basically having a bout of too much stress and It's fucked him up so bad that his back collapsed from sitting so much, and becoming decrepit in the current hell of a life he's in.
Is this coma quest? Where you got fucked up by the inevitability of health creeping up. And now have to be a true Escapist? To escape the eternal sleep you currently confide in? Lest they pull the plug.
>>
>>662240
>>662292
>>665954
3 votes for female so far
>>662329
>>665954
2 votes male

I'd like to see either get to 5 before this is set in stone, as I said, but it looks as if female is the presiding choice.

>>664919
I didn't want to give too big a hint, but the place you now find yourself seems devoid of the modern technology you've grown accustomed to. Therefore it might make sense to bring something which utilizes modern technology to its fullest while still being a realistic household/handheld item. Such an item would be both highly valuable and possibly have great utility in this land. Like, your portable gaming device might be something you'd bring. Something like that that your character could realistically have possessed.

>>666021
Only time and investigation will tell what the fuck is going on, here.
>>
>>666349

I guess I'll support male and na starting with a C.
>>
>>666349
OK, so we're activating the Narnia Protocols then.

Well, much as I'd love to bring in a Colt .45, bringing the ammunition for an extended foray would just be unrealistic unless the MC is also the protag of an FPS.

Leatherman is a decent choice, but has nothing that can't really be acquired in most low-tech settings.

Hm. A high-end tablet or laptop loaded up with encyclopedia software might be useful, and would fit if the MC is a bookworm/nerd type. Especially if we can get it paired with a solar charger. Having most of modern man's knowledge at your fingertips for a few hours each day is pretty potent.

We could go Swiss Family Robinson up in this shit.
>>
>>666349
Female.
Name can be whatever
>>
>>666349
I'll cast my vote for male.
>>
>>666455
It appears that we are going to be a gopnik, but I definitely agree that a solar powered tablet would be useful.

And to finally finish this apparently day old vote, female.
>>
>>666349
>>666612
Quoting my female vote.
>>
With that, the winning vote is for our MC to be female. Name will be Isabelle. Her mental state is still quite hazy, but I wouldn't label her an amnesiac...

>>666455
>>666612
I like the way you're thinking, but a solar powered tablet is a little bit too unrealistic, and unfortunately you can't bring a charger. This doesn't necessarily mean a tablet would be useless after running out of charge.

We can juggle this around for quite a bit longer, but are all in agreement of bringing a tablet or laptop? Also, is our MC a female delinquent, or just a nerd/NEET? Please decide, then I can finally speed up the pace.
>>
>>666872
Or would you all rather I just take these things into my own hands to avoid another long voting process?
>>
>>666872
Delinquent.
Might avoid lesbian shenanigans that way.
>>
>>666872
It would be funny if we were a nerd attempting and only recently becoming a delinquent.
If we do choose that option, we could bring a >>666455 and >>662292

By the way, I'm going to assume there might be magic, so a gun or laptop might not be useless once out of charge (Electric or Metal Magic)
>>
>>666950
This sounds like a decent compromise, so I'm going to go with it in order to speed things up.
I will say that your assumption is very reasonable...

You'll learn the details as you recollect things.

I'm only going to allow one item, and I think that a smartphone is a good hybrid between something a delinquent and a nerd would carry. It's got a lot of utility, but you also used it to call up all of your delinquent friends to go drink out in some parking lot.

Gonna continue now.
>>
>>666971
nerd and delinquent?
Neat.
Did she start going bad and selling drugs to get her parents off her back?
>>
>>666971
I liked the idea of us carrying some basically worthless trinket for some unknown reason.
>>
>>666983
Or maybe years of being bullied made her spiral into a life of crime and to finally get fit.
>>666971
Also, are we using >>660360 as our appearance?
>>
Although the fog only seems to get thicker as you travel, the haze in your mind is starting to clear. Your long black hair is just as you remember it. You feel a bit lighter than usual, but you're already sort of underweight to begin with. Perhaps it's just your head. This is definitely your body, in any case.

From the knapsack you pull an item you couldn't live without; your phone. Unlocking it almost reflexively, you find that it's working as well as always. Your contacts are all there, along with your photos, apps, and music. Charge is at 97%, and in the interest of preserving it you adjust some settings.

You have no service, though. This is definitely nowhere near where you live.

Starting to feel a bit anxious, you try dialing your mother despite what you've concluded. You hold your phone to your ear just to ear it beep a few times. No service. Dammit.

Wait... surely your favorite tracksuit is in this bag? At least that pair of sweatpants. No dice. Not even a pack of cigarettes. You rifle through the bag to no avail. The phone is all you have on you.

"What the fuck is this? Where am I? What happened last night? Where is my stuff? What am I wearing?" You're starting to panic. This really makes no sense.

Suddenly, a muffled voice comes from beyond the front wall of the wagon. "-alright back there?"

It's likely the driver.

>"Y-yes... I just, lost something, is all. Sorry for the noise!"
>"Alright? No, I'm nowhere near alright. Stop the wagon this instant."
>"..."
>write-in

>>667004
That's more or less your appearance, yes. I'm going to leave ethnicity ambiguous, though.

Also, because of our slow traffic right now I'm going to go by first to 3 votes. That seems like a better standard than 5, anyway.
>>
>>667055
>>"Y-yes... I just, lost something, is all. Sorry for the noise!"
>>
>>667055
Yes, I just lost something. Sorry for the noise.
>>
'first to X' votes can be iffy, since they're awful at high or low voter counts, but you do you and update whenever you want

>>667055
>>"Y-yes... I just, lost something, is all. Sorry for the noise!"
>>
>>667113
>>667122
>>667821
We seem to have consensus, so I don't wanna hold things up, but I feel some basic information gathering is in order here. I recommend we ask an innocuous question in the next response such as, "Are we almost there?" or "What was your name again?" to get the ball rolling.
>>
"Y-yes... I just, lost something, is all," you stammer, trying your best to sound confident. "Sorry for the noise!"

After a moment, the driver responds with "All right, then. We're nearing the capital now, so just hang in there a little bit longer." It's the voice of a young man, probably around your age. Seems a bit young to be driving a carriage, but then again, it's not like you're familiar with the standard age for the profession in this land.

This land... that reminds you, this totally isn't home. You reckon it's probably very far from home. You can't help but chuckle a bit. "Are you kidding me? This reminds me of a light novel I've read..." It's likely you're only dreaming, you conclude.

Unfortunately, there's only the one window on the back wall, so you can't see in front of the wagon. You reckon whatever this "capital" is might be visible on the horizon now, though. You could probably get a good view of it from outside of the trap door, but with that comes the issue of confronting the driver.

>write-in
>>
File: MAMMON.png (255KB, 579x322px) Image search: [Google]
MAMMON.png
255KB, 579x322px
>>668873
MAMMON-SAMA!~
>>
>>668873
>Use camera in phone to check our face.
>Stick head out of window/crack the door open slightly to look around.
>>
>>668873
>peek out just a bit
>>669138
no need to use the camera, just the blank screen would do. besides, we got 'this is definitely your body' earlier
>>
>>669651
GOTTA MAKE SURE WE DONT LOOK LIKE SHIT
>>
>>668873
"So what I can expect when we reach the capital? I've never been there before."
>>
File: capital.jpg (74KB, 564x657px) Image search: [Google]
capital.jpg
74KB, 564x657px
>>669138
>>669651
>>669988

Conflicted, you look down at the dormant screen of your phone to see a reflection of your face. It's a face you remember. For some time it was a face you hated, but you've learned to accept yourself. It glares back at you wearily.

For a moment, you feel like you catch a glimpse of something deep within the eyes of that face. Your head throbs once, bringing with it a vivid recollection of the feeling from last night. It subsides after a moment, and you sit staring dizzily out the window.

It's probably about time you stick your head outside of the wagon, huh? You make haste to climb the small ladder to the trap door, admittedly a bit excited to see what awaits. You push open the trap door eagerly.

"So, what can I expect when we reach the-"

It's closer than you thought. The beautiful city sits around a hill, spiraling up the land mass with more extravagant buildings on each layer. Tall spires dot the hill, especially around a central building which reaches ambitiously towards the heavens with a great tower. While it's beautiful a beautiful sight, you can feel fear gripping you, for some reason. Perhaps it's the way the dense slums are dominated by the noble constructs which catch your eye. There's a hierarchical nature to this place.

The driver turns to look at you, having heard your voice trail off. The reigns he's holding meet with the mouth of an animal you haven't seen before. It looks something like a dragon. It's quadrupedal, and walks with mighty footsteps. You hear a low purr from the back of its throat.

"It's... really something, hmm?" the driver says, breaking you from your fixed gaze at the city. He seems a bit taken aback with how captivated you are, but at least he's being friendly about it. "Say, I never caught your name, traveler." Uh oh. The man is on to you. He looks harmless enough, looking expectantly at you, but it's not like you have reason to trust anyone you meet here.

>"I'm Isabelle." You may provide a nickname if you'd like.
>"My name... it's, uh... _____" Might be worth forging a new identity here, or going by some alias with those you're unfamiliar with.
>>
>>670053
Is the cityscape plainly medieval or are there signs of technology/lights?

>"Isabelle. And you are?"
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (259KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
259KB, 1920x1080px
>>670053
>"I'm Isabelle."
>>
>>670053
I'm Isabelle
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.