[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Last Grease Monkey

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 19

File: image.jpg (75KB, 960x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75KB, 960x400px
Yuma, Arizona
198X
5 years after the End

Slivers of sunlight begin to squeeze themselves through the gap between the garage door and the wall, eventually intersecting with your eyeballs and awakening you. You are on a mattress on the floor of a two-car garage. Your bed is surrounded by tools and car parts, the remaining space is occupied by your car. Rubbing sleep from your eyes you pull yourself up from your raggedy floor-mattress and switch on the radio. You are 22 year old Hank Dalton, and today is the day.

"This is 89.9 The Roach, coming at you live from...fuck if I'm gonna tell you that, I'm sure most of you listeners are friendly but like my scalp where it is."

The DJ yammers on as you enjoy the dregs of last night's Tabasco slathered canned chili and wash it down with a can of lukewarm Orange Crush. You roll open the garage door to let the sun shine in.

"You can think of our little station and its name a couple different ways. Either we're a cockroach, the last thing standing after the whole world goes to shit, or we're that last piece of the goodness of the world. Burnt down to a nub but we're holding on to the last little piece till our fingers burn cause dammit, there's still some good hits left in it. Like this one."

(Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose - Too Late To Turn Back Now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfYkhQblYjY)

After it overheated on your last supply run your car has been apart for weeks, every single moving part from the brakes and suspension to the engine getting replaced or overhauled. It was painful but necessary, you're lucky you were able to limp it back to town last time. Yesterday you and your buddy Jim finally got it most of the way back together. A few finishing touches and with any luck it'll be back on the road before noon.

A few hours later, it's complete. The carburetor, the final piece of the puzzle,is snugly bolted on with the fuel line, vacuum lines and throttle linkage perfectly situated. You pour a little bit of gas down the carb, reach through the window to turn the key and can barely contain your excitement as the V8 roars to life. It stalls but you hop in, give it some gas and within seconds it's idling quite nicely. You drop the 4 speed into 1st, let off the clutch and pull your [insert vehicle here] out into the street for the first time in nearly a month.

A) 1967 Chevy Nova
B) 1969 Chevy El Camino
C) 1966 Pontiac GTO
D) 1971 Oldsmobile 442
E) 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner
F) 1971 Dodge Charger
G) 1970 AMC AMX
H) 1969 Ford Torino
I) 1967 Mercury Cougar

And now that your car runs, where will you go?
X) Test it out around town
Y) Test it on the highway
Z) Should be fine, go find a supply run to do.
>>
Mercury Cougar

Test it out in town. We don't want it to break down out on the road.
>>
>>64847
>1968 Plymouth Roadrunner
Gotta have that huge spoiler like on the Superbird though.

>Test it on the highway
>>
>>64847
>H) 1969 Ford Torino
>hardtop
>sky blue
>painted with Icarus on both sides reaching for the sun painted on the hood

>X) Test it out around town
>>
>>64847
B. That bed space might come handy for supply runs won't it?

Y. How are you gonna test high speeds in town?
>>
Rolled 4 (1d4)

Rollan

1. Cougar, town
2. Roadrunner, highway
3. Torino, town
4. El Camino, highway
>>
>>65091
Aww yiss.

Btw, do you intend to make this last 40 threads and have it ruined by a bunch of /o/tists?
>>
File: image.jpg (11KB, 168x168px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11KB, 168x168px
>>65108
>tfw dad is dead and we didn't even get a chance to save him thanks to Erikunt

40 threads mite b koo, gotta get through this one first. I know I'm not near as diligent as Dew Trail Opie though. If I wanted this ruined by /o/tists I'd have posted it on /o/. For those familiar with Dew Trail expect a lot less slice of life/waifu shit and a lot more biker murder. If the next post isn't up in an hour or two then I am knocked the fuck out and will post in the morning.
>>
>>65135
>expect a lot less slice of life/waifu shit and a lot more biker murder

fine by me.
>>
File: spraypaintart.png (747KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
spraypaintart.png
747KB, 1680x1050px
>>65091
>no Torino
Fug. May as well pitch cosmetics for the Camino, I guess.

>midnight blue
>quad tailpipes
>rattlecanned desert sunset scene along both sides
>orange undercar lights (the inspiration for the art)

I offer this as an example of the desert piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF4GBRAgwp4
>>
File: image.jpg (120KB, 736x439px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 736x439px
It's a car! It's a truck! It's an El Camino!

Features:
>aftermarket AM/FM tape deck
>tonneau cover (watertight)
>smuggler's box (removable section of front bed floor for carrying more illicit goods)
>bench seat (can have up to 3 people in the cab, just go easy with those shifts to 2nd and 4th)

Drivetrain:
>427 big block, ~450hp
>M21 4 speed
>12 bolt posi w/ 3.90 gears

>>65262 #
Willing to take suggestions on color and other modifications, not sure how I want to deal with voting or whatevs. I like your suggestions except the underglow is a bit anachronistic. That painting is fucking rad as hell btw.

-----------------------

Sure you could fuck around in town, but you won't know what it can really do until you're out on the open road. The lumpy-cammed 427 snorts and bucks as you idle through a small shantytown near your garage. A group of grubby children point and gawk, you grin and throw them a rev then dump the clutch and hit the main road sideways in a haze of immolated rubber. You can't help but giggle as a guy on a bicycle panics and runs off the road into a ditch as you speed past. Holy Christ on a cracker, this beats your old 396 by a vast margin. 60 mph in first gear and the 427 is merrily singing the song of its people at 7000 rpm. When you finally shift the engine seems to grumble with disappointment, it wants to go fast! After flying past more cyclists and a few meandering farm trucks you make it to the highway and head:

A) East into the hills, has some twists and turns good for checking the handling. High chance of road pirates.
B) West toward the California border, straight road on flat desert good for a high speed run. High chance of being harassed by PRC (People's Republic of California) troopers, dickheads who think they're cops.

Before you take the on ramp, you slide a tape into the player.

W) Deep Purple
X) Black Sabbath
Y) Uriah Heep
Z) Led Zeppelin
>>
Rolled 4 (1d4)

>>65262
I'd rather go with sidepipes and the underglow feels out of place but solid suggestion otherwise.

>>65499
A because touge.
1 is W, 2 is X, 3 is Y, 4 is Z. Shuffle as fuck yo.
>>
File: 546b244734997_-_elcaminoss-lg.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
546b244734997_-_elcaminoss-lg.png
2MB, 1280x720px
>>65499
>>65598
A, Z) as well.

As for the look, I'd prefer something more tame, like a faded factory color + scallops on the hood made with house paint.

Excuse my mspaint
>>
>>65499
B und Z
>>
>>65499
I'm happy to offer up cosmetics: they make things more fun to picture, and they're just so damn easy to come up with.

>A) East into the hills, has some twists and turns good for checking the handling. High chance of road pirates.
Police don't sound too exciting to me, and yet somehow even more dangerous.

Z) Led Zeppelin

(Taking a name, for convenience's sake)
>>
>>66894
But we have IDs now, those are your name
>>
File: Facepalm.png (8KB, 546x566px) Image search: [Google]
Facepalm.png
8KB, 546x566px
>>66972
... Oh right. If anyone ever tells you I'm smart, you have my permission to call them a dirty liar.
>>
>>65499
A and Z
Led zeppelin and lead foot.
>>
File: tegaki.png (6KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
6KB, 400x400px
Z?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3ioOxQ76dA

East it is, fuck going West if you aren't getting paid to. PRC troopers have been out in force lately. At least with road pirates it's a lot easier to get away with shooting them. [Yes nigga you strapped, you have a S&W Model 27.357 in the glove box.] Just as you get to the foot of that first long hill you see a Mack Superliner come over the horizon hauling a fuel tanker. It's flanked by a red primered Plymouth Duster and a green 65 Buick Riviera you immediately recognize as Jim's. As he gets closer he starts honking in celebration at the sight of your El Camino back on the road. You barely hear it over the growl of the Mack's Jake brake, which Jim described as sounding like "Chewbacca getting the best blowjob of his life". You give him a peace sign and put your foot to the floor.

You shift into 4th gear at 90 mph though you could wind it out a little more in 3rd if necessary, the speedo climbs past 100 as you crest the hill. A glance at the temp gauge tells you the new aluminum radiator is doing its job quite well. You carry most of your speed into a sweeping left turn, the rear end oscillates a bit but stays planted. You downshift back to 3rd as the turns start to tighten and the dropoffs get steeper. The new springs and swaybars help a lot but you're still not driving a Porsche, anything faster than 80 through here and you'll fly just like the Led Zeppelin Icarus mural on that Torino you almost bought. Over the horizon you see a plume of smoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kBX0K9nxPc

As the road begins to straighten out you see the source of the smoke: a mid 70s Ford or Mercury station wagon with the hood up and the roof laden with some poor family's every possession. Might have to come back out here with Jim and snatch that 9 inch rear end.

...Oh shit, the family's still there. A young woman and two kids. She steps out into the road and waves her arms frantically when she sees you.

A) Stop and help
B) Fuck em, leave em there, probably a trap. Keep going.
C. Fuck em, probably a trap, turn around at the next exit and head home.
>>
>>68144
A, looks legit.
>>
File: hhhehehe.jpg (134KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
hhhehehe.jpg
134KB, 500x333px
>>68144
>Icarus mural
It makes me glad to see this mentioned.

>A) Stop and help
>don't be retarded though
>assume trap
>assume family is unwilling bait
>stop with guns drawn
>>
>>68144
>>68144
>A) Stop and help
But slow to a crawl, pull our piece, and pop open the door.
"Get in if you want to live" are the only words we should say
>>
File: image.jpg (170KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
170KB, 1024x685px
>>68301
>Nope, nothing suspicious here, just get out and help (gun in waistband cause I'm not a complete asshole QM)
>>68603
>Probably a trap but, y'know, woman and kids. Better be ready to shoot something if you have to.
>>68751
>Don't get out. Come with me if you want to live (Too bad society collapsed before that was a reference to anything)

Remember there's two kids plus the lady, gonna be a tight fit in the Elky especially with the floor shifter. I'll wait a while then roll for it if necessary.
>>
Rolled 3 (1d3)

>>69075
1. Get out with gun holstered
2. Get out with gun drawn
3. Don't get out, have them get in
>>
File: you-died.jpg (16KB, 552x336px) Image search: [Google]
you-died.jpg
16KB, 552x336px
>>69734
Well, this quest ended quickly.
>>
You slow down to a crawl and pull your revolver from the glove box before pulling up. Best be cautious about this. You get your first good look at them. The woman is about 5'2, Mexican, slightly chubby (20ish extra pounds mostly in the right places), pretty face, hair down to her waist. Probably about your age. If these are her kids then she definitely fits the stereotype. The girl looks to be 8 years old or so. The boy sitting on the wagon's tailgate appears to be slightly older than the girl, blond and looks a little paler than the others. All three are wearing jackets since it's kinda chilly, but the cold must really be getting to him since he's wearing a scarf over his face. And sunglasses. Weird, but whatever. He has normal proportions for a kid, definitely not a midget in disguise.

Fuck it. You throw open the passenger door.

"Get in if you want to live," you blurt out before realizing just how dumb that sounds. Who the fuck talks like that? Hopefully she doesn't call you on it.

The mother and daughter or sisters or whatever stand there for a few seconds, still looking scared, not moving a muscle. The boy gets up from the tailgate and the woman socks him hard in the face, sending him sprawling to the ground. She then grabs the little girl, jumps into the cab and slams the door.

"Drive! Fucking DRIVE!"

You sit there for a second absolutely dumbfounded. Then the boy jumps to his feet, shrieking, and punches the passenger window hard enough to spiderweb it.

A) Fight
B) Run

Roll 1d100 for either choice.
>>
Rolled 33 (1d100)

>>71058
>fight
>>
Rolled 27 (1d100)

>>71058
Run.
>>
Rolled 66 (1d100)

>>71058
Reroll.
>>
Rolled 27 (1d100)

>>71058
Haul ass.
>>
File: 1368937781572.png (48KB, 693x1081px) Image search: [Google]
1368937781572.png
48KB, 693x1081px
Rolled 21 (1d100)

>>71058
GUN IT FUCK FUCK FUCK
>>
>>71232
... I suppose that's kind of an ambiguous choice, given the options.

Fucking run, find Jim and involve him in this situation against his will.
>>
File: 1981_Yamaha_XT250.jpg (210KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
1981_Yamaha_XT250.jpg
210KB, 800x530px
>all these bad rolls
I hope it just determines how many vehicles give chase.
>>
Rolled 63 (1d100)

>>71058
>B
See it's only sounds dumb if it's unneeded, that a Skinwalker or what?
>>
Rolled 73 (1d100)

>>71058
B. Time to gun it I guess.
>>
>>71058
My personal vote on this matter is to go get the hell out of here so that we can get the mother and daughter to safety so we can get them out of our car, then locate Jim and bring him back here with his gun, his friends, and all of his friends' guns, and turn this little shit into a greasy red smear on the road (assuming the mother doesn't give us a reason not to).

This thing just punched daddy's baby. I don't know what the fuck it is, but I'm not keen on the idea of just letting it live.

Also, that scream might make me a little scared that bullets kinda might not work on it...
>>
>>72011
>Also, that scream might make me a little scared that bullets kinda might not work on it...
Then we must apply more bullets
>>
File: image.jpg (132KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132KB, 960x640px
>first encounter of our quest
>all these bad rolls
>all this panic
Fug why have I waited this long to do one of these?

-------------

The kid's sunglasses are gone and his scarf is askew. He still looks like a normal adolescent, well apart from the eyes. And the teeth. I mean god damn those fucking teeth seriously. You gun it and drop the clutch with all the NOPE you have ever NOPED or ever will NOPE. For one horrible second the tires spin before fully gaining traction, which gives this little shit just enough time to grab onto the tailgate.

Hangman, hangman, upon your face a smile
Tell me that I'm free to ride, ride many a mile

20 mph. 40. 60. You run out of revs in 1st gear and he's still managing to hold on, clawed hands digging furrows into the metal. Holy mother of fuck, he's pulling himself up.

Your brother brought me silver
Your sister warmed my soul
But now I laugh oh so hard, see you swingin from the gallows pole
Swingin on the gallows pole

You see an exit coming up, your normal turnaround point when cruising the hills. You know it quite well and it gives you an idea.

A) Take the exit, give this little shit the ride of his life
B) Take the exit, slam on the brakes, hop out and fill this fucker with lead
C) Keep going through hostile territory with your uninvited hitchhiker, you're pretty sure things can't get worse

Roll 1d100
>>
File: 3583406813_df12309b8b_b.jpg (305KB, 1024x490px) Image search: [Google]
3583406813_df12309b8b_b.jpg
305KB, 1024x490px
Rolled 41 (1d100)

>>72614
A) Never get out of the car.
>>
>>71903
Yeah I was clowning your dialogue but you ended up having the safest choice.
>that a Skinwalker or what?
Dude I don't fucking know I was just gonna do a Mad Max type thing then BAM freaky devil child all up in my shiz.
>>72011
>turn this little shit into a greasy red smear on the road (assuming the mother doesn't give us a reason not to).
Considering she gave him a haymaker to the face and wants to leave him in the middle of the desert I'm not sure how much love she has for him.
>>
Rolled 57 (1d100)

>>72614
A) Shake him off
>>
Rolled 25 (1d100)

>>72614
>A) Take the exit, give this little shit the ride of his life
Yea I know, only reason I said it was cause of some creepypasta from /k/ with a similar setup.
>>
Rolled 8 (1d100)

>>72614
A, shake him off.
>>
Rolled 76 (1d100)

>>73214
Never underestimate the boundless stupidity of a person who's lost a loved one to a zombie virus. Sure, she'll beat him in the face to put his ass on the ground so she can put distance between her and her son, but the moment you point a gun: "No!" she shrieks with all of the vocal pitch of a straitjacket warmer, "There has to be a cure for my baby!"

>>72614
>A) Take the exit, give this little shit the ride of his life
>ask mommy why she gave little Timmy all that sugar
>... and PCP, evidently
>>
You tap the brakes just slightly and take the offramp as the devil child is just about managing to pull himself up into the bed. The little girl screams and her mother/sister/cousin/whatever turns to you and gives you a "what the fuck are you doing" look. (At least the lady is in the middle seat so you won't be putting your hand near an 8 year old girl's crotch with every shift)

There's not much at this exit other than an abandoned gas station with a nice big flat gravel lot. Your usual technique is to hit the gravel, break the tires loose, and do one continuous drift all the way to the westbound offramp. But that might not shake him. You hit the gravel as per usual but counter steer way more than necessary, sending you spinning out in a huge cloud of dust and gravel. You keep it floored as both women scream and hold on to each other tight. In your rear view you see the thing's grip finally starting to slip. You let off the gas a bit. guide the still spinning truckcar back toward the asphalt, get the front wheels straight and launch it forward as soon as you're back on pavement, which finally throws the boy-thing off and sends him flying off into the gravel.

A) Get the fuck outta here
B) Shoot him (from the car)
C) Run him over
D) Shoot him AND run him over
>>
Rolled 1 (1d100)

>>74578
>D) Shoot him AND run him over
What's he gonna do stab us?
>>
>>74578
No roll necessary for A, 1d100 for the others.
>>
File: DESTROYUSALL.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
DESTROYUSALL.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
Rolled 66 (1d100)

>>74578
B) Shoot him (from the car)
I would say shoot him and run him over, but if bullets don't work then now we've got a devil child doing Sideshow Bob's talking car routine.

>>74616
... And now that's gonna happen.
>>
Rolled 16 (1d100)

>>74616
Cant argue with such a nice roll. D all the way. If that doesn't kill him that'll leave him with a few crushed bones.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d1)

>>74578
Just run away.
>>
You could run now, but instead you stop. Whatever this sumbitch is, he needs him some killing. Said sumbitch staggers to his feet as you crank down the window and level your revolver at him.

The first shot hits his left shoulder, he twists around from the impact then charges at you. Two shots to the abdomen knock him on his ass. He stares at you with hatred, strange yellow-green eyes and catlike pupils burning into your soul. Your next shot goes straight through one of those eyes and he flops to the ground.

"Holy shit," says the lady, "I think-"

Nope. This time he pops right back up, shrieking through that horrible fanged maw as blackish ichor oozes from his empty socket and other wounds.

Fuck this. Only one option now. You swing the El Camino around to face the mutilated abomination.

"FUUUUUUUUCK!" you scream, revving the engine. He grins and breaks into a sprint toward you.

"YOUUUUUUUUU!" You've finally figured out how to launch this thing, tires chirp and hook up almost immediately. You hit Devil Child head on and he goes straight under the bumper, the 427's roar isn't enough to obscure the otherworldly howling and bones snapping. Suddenly the engine cuts off and the car shudders to a halt. FUCK! It restarts with no hesitation but stalls as soon as you release the clutch. Not a peep from Devil Child. After reloading your gun you step out, peer underneath and nearly hurl up your breakfast at the sight of Devil Child's corpse wrapped around the driveshaft. Unbe-fucking-lievable, you've had this car on the road for an hour and a half at the most. This is fixable, but you'll need to tow it back to town.

"Is it dead?" asks the little girl.

You look one more time just to check, and notice that Devil Child's remaining eye is now brown and completely ordinary.

"I sure as hell hope so."

What now?

A) Start walking back toward Yuma, maybe see if the wagon will miraculously start or some shit
B) Take shelter in the gas station
C) Write in
>>
Rolled 59 (1d100)

>>77396
B) Rolling for a CB radio inside
>>
>>77396
>B) Take shelter in the gas station
I'm so sorry everyone
>>
>>77396
>traveling without a radio
Man, we dum.

>C) Write in
>ask mommy what the status of the station wagon is
It might be good to go for us to find Jim in it, but even if it's not functional, maybe it has enough interchangeable/close match parts that we can cobble together a crutch for our baby and limp her back to the garage?
>>
File: facepalm2electricjigaboo.png (62KB, 386x400px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm2electricjigaboo.png
62KB, 386x400px
Rolled 19 (1d100)

>>77396
>>78656
>>
>>78656
It's a Ford, there are no interchangeable parts there
>>
Rolled 46 (1d100)

>>77396
A) rolling for wagon starting and getting back to town.
>>
>>79238
We're not sure it's a Ford yet; it could possibly be a Mercury, or perhaps even something we completely missed our guess on; we were more focused on the family crowded around it.

I also don't know what is or isn't interchangeable between brands given the time frame these exist in. I'm not a greasemonkey.
>>
>>79666
Crash course
FoMoCo - Ford, Mercury, Lincoln
GM - Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Cadillac
Mopar - Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth
>>
Rolled 15, 15, 15, 12 = 57 (4d20)

>>77396
C) Inspect damage thoroughly. Can't be too bad, is it?
>>
File: image.jpg (114KB, 399x535px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114KB, 399x535px
As you lean against your newly immobile El Camino and contemplate the grisly driveshaft replacement job ahead, your two companions step out of the cab, Lady takes a look at the undercarriage and implores Girl not to do the same. Now that the adrenaline is finally wearing off the full gravity of the situation hits you.

"Holy." You pause. Swallow, even though your mouth is dry as a bone. "Fuckin...What..." You rub your forehead. Gotta think of what to say. Finally the appropriate words come to you. "What the fuckin FUCK, Lady?"

Lady stares off into the horizon toward Yuma. "His name was Gabriel. We picked him up in Las Cruces. He seemed normal, just a scared starving kid. There were five of us then..."

You decide to head into the gas station and see if you can find anything useful. You're not too optimistic. Lady...erm, Maria, keeps talking as she and Carla (Girl) help search. Carla is Maria's niece, who she had helped raise back in El Paso. They had gotten word from Carla's previously presumed-dead mother that she was alive and well in San Diego. So Maria, Carla, Maria's boyfriend Paul and two friends all piled into the Mercury station wagon and headed for the PRC. Not surprisingly she doesn't want to delve too deeply into what happened after they picked up sweet little Gabe.

Sure enough, nearly everything of value has been looted. All the canned goods are gone. There's ancient expired snacks, a few cans of diet soda, T-shirts and souvenir crap, a clerk's skeleton. Plenty of CB radio accessories like mics and antennas but no actual radios...

"Son of a bitch!" You kick over a shelf of magazines with all the pornos cleared out of it. "Why didn't I bring a damn CB..."

Maria's eyes light up. "We have one back in the wagon!"

"What? Why didn't you use it?"

"Paul ripped the antenna off when he found out...when he saw what Gabriel could do. He knew we were fucked, but he didn't want that little asshole using it to order people up like fucking pizza." She trails off, hanging her head.

A) Go get the CB from the wagon, alone. It's only a little over a mile walk, they should be okay here for a while
B) Go get the CB, bring Maria and Carla with you
C) Stay here, you'll figure something else out

You have a jack and tools in the smuggler box, do you pull the driveshaft and push the El Camino somewhere out of sight before leaving?
Y/N

If Y, what do you do with Gabriel/Devil Child's body?
>>
>>83316
>B) Go get the CB, bring Maria and Carla with you
>take the time to pull the driveshaft off and hide the car
>leave Gabriel's body somewhere visible in case it decides it's bored with being dead
>>
>>78656
>>79238
Hank's grease monkey skills are 1337 enough that he probably could cobble together a temporary driveshaft out of the old one and the one from the Mercury, but he'd need a good cutting tool and a welder, of which he has neither.
>>82016
It's really not that bad in the grand scheme of things, it's an easy fix but the driveshaft is too bent to work.
>>
>>83486
Bumpan to see if anyone votes differently, if not I'll go with this in a couple hours
>>
Voting A and Y, hide the body in a ditch.

Also I suggest we get some sort of cover for the bottom of our car. That is if we intend on running over anything else.
>>
Rolled 2 (1d2)

1. Bring the whole family on this adventure. Leave Gabriel out in the open where you can keep an eye on him
2. Go it alone, toss the body in a ditch since if anyone sees it they'll think you shot a 10 year old boy four times and ran him over. I mean well you kinda did, but...

Either way we're pulling the driveshaft and hiding the ElCo.
>>
>>65091
>1d4
>4
>>69734
>1d3
>3
>>88874
>1d2
>2
Sheeeiiit. Still gonna go with it one last time but maybe I should use higher numbered dice for these deciding rolls.
>>86397
I'll give you a chance to get a skid plate and other mods if you make it back to Yuma.
>>
>>88956
>if you make it back to Yuma
inb4 ded
>>
>>89024
Hopefully we can restart.
>>
>>89024
>>89169
Oh no, sorry I totally meant "when". I have no doubt in my mind that the CB radio retrieval will go flawlessly. Roll 1d100 to see just how flawlessly. I'll even throw you guys a bone and take the best roll out of, well, however many people give a fuck about this quest and post within the next 2 or 3 hours.
>>
Rolled 90 (1d100)

>>89717
inb4 I get a 1 and Gabriel's body has unwrapped itself from the driveshaft and disappeared
>>
Rolled 77 (1d100)

>>89717
Plz Dice Gods, I apologize
>>
>>89717
Rollin' for option 1.
>>
Rolled 45 (1d100)

>>89717
Rolling
>>
Rolled 29 (1d100)

>>90129
Oops
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 478x272px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 478x272px
>>89747
Pulling the driveshaft isn't that bad, just a few bolts which come off easy since you literally just installed them yesterday. You just have to pretend you're not working inches from a twisted-up corpse. A corpse that now looks fully human. Thankfully it's not a hot day. Pulling Gabe The Amazing Pretzel Boy out from under the Elky is a far grodier task, but fortunately he still has one mostly intact arm to pull him by. Maria helpfully brings you a scratchy Mexican-made "Navajo" blanket to put him on top of to make it easier to drag him into the ditch out back, which you do.

Something about the fact that his skull is mostly intact just bugs the fuck out of you, so you grab the biggest heaviest rock within reach and rectify the issue. As you climb out of the ditch you notice a buzzard circling above. Bon appetit, good buddy.

Carla has managed to find some comic books, she sits contentedly next to her chosen pile with her nose buried in a Spider-Man comic. Maria hands you her car keys and a duffel bag with a few tools in it and whatever fluids she could find. A gallon of antifreeze and a few bottles of...diesel oil. Well shit, even if that thing manages to start then the wrong oil type will likely be the least of its problems. Maria helps you push your car out back behind the building then you grab your duffel bag, sling it over your shoulder and take a mercifully uneventful walk back to the station wagon.

Ugh, what horrendously ugly pile of fuck this wagon is. Did Mercury seriously have the balls to call this a Cougar or did someone stick those badges on as a joke? Under the still-open hood things are even uglier. It's a V8, but the 2 barrel carb and rat's nest of vacuum lines tell you this thing was no hot performer even on its best day. You check the radiator, it's pretty damn low. Hopefully this gallon of antifreeze will help. The oil just barely registers on the dipstick and what's there looks like a chocolate milkshake. Joy. Fuck it, in goes the diesel oil. Now for the most fun part. You slam the hood down, get in and shimmy onto the velour bench which is stuck all the way forward because of course it is.

Against all odds, the fucking thing fires up and settles into a sickly chugging idle. White smoke is pouring out the tailpipe. Horse With No Name blares from the tape deck. Ah well, at least it's not Sister Golden Hair.

A) Back to the gas station, get the CB working and call Jim
B) Back to the gas station, pick up Maria and Carla, try to make it back to Yuma in this hideous, barely running shitpile
>>
>>91156
A) Let's not push our luck.
>>
>>91220
That's probably a good idea.
>>
File: vkQ7E.jpg (18KB, 360x483px) Image search: [Google]
vkQ7E.jpg
18KB, 360x483px
Also, maybe we should buy and strip the Merc for parts. I have a feeling that utilitarian vehicles like station wagons and trucks are usually commandeered by the PRC or the Group of Soviet Forces in California (if that's a thing)
>>
Just got back and saw OP's post. Before I vote, I wanna voice a concern for everyone to take into consideration: this is pirate country, and they are almost certainly pulling voices out of the air. They probably don't even know we're here right now, and calling out on a CB will change that.

That said, I massively agree with not pushing our luck and trying to sneak back in this hunk of shit

>>91156
>A) Back to the gas station, get the CB working and call Jim
>don't mention the Elky though
>tell him our Cougar finally broke the fuck down
If pirates DO show up, who are we to stop them if they wanna take out our trash for us?

And why didn't we think to bring a better tape with us just in case Horse With No Name happened
>>
>>91156
While I'm thinking about it, does the shop have ham radio supplies in addition to CB stuff? Might be fun to listen in on parts of the world we'll never get to see.

It might even find us some friends interested in travel
It could even give birth to new adventures
>>
>>91923
Well, it certainly would be a means of exposition.

1) What is PRC? A puppet state established by the Soviet Army/Navy remnants? How far does their influence reach? Are there insurgency groups in NorCal?
2) Is Las Vegas ok?
3) What is the safest way to Phoenix? Through Gila Bend? Are their salvage yards really as good as rumors say? Is the road to Quartzsite clear? At night, how far can you see the glow from the Proving Ground?
>>
>>92109
>their salvage yards
*the salvage yards there
>>
>>91156
Can we, with the tools and parts available to us, fix the station wagon enough so that it becomes more reliable? Maybe take parts from our car.
I'm concerned about this >>91773
>>
>>92124
The concept of cannibalizing our baby to supplement this smoking pile of scrap makes me feel like suggesting we cut our hands off to make sure that never happens.

Also, we've already discussed interchangeable parts; apparently we're not gonna be able to find much Mercury-compatible stuff under the hood of a Chevy.
>>
>>92124
We can take a large enough rock and attempt to bend the driveshaft [italic]almost straight.[/italic] and limp back home.
It'd probably destroy our bearings, worst case scenario - differential and/or gearbox.

How do I do italics and bold?
>>
>>92187
I don't know what the diffrential is, and the gearbox sounds like it's probably something comprised of a lot of small, precision-machined parts that would be a pain in the fucking dick to create replacements for if the one that we have gets damaged, and it might not be easy to find a replacement if we were to break either of these. If we can't either get a tow from Jim or fix the Elky to the point where we can run it without damaging it further, I'd sooner just push it back to town.

That gives rise to a good question though...

>>91156
How far out are we from civilization as we sit right now?
>>
>>92187
You don't. Only mods can format text.
>>
>>91220
Honestly I only put B there as a joke.
>>91420
The transmission and rear axle are worth something for sure.
>>91773
Duly noted, Hank will be vague with his location and not mention the bitchin Camino. And nobody is ever prepared for Horse With No Name.
>>91923
>>92109
>these niggas doin my world building for me
I feel so honored.
>>92124
No. We would literally be better off cutting the ends off both driveshafts with a hacksaw and sticking the Chevy ends on the Ford driveshaft with fucking JB Weld.
>>
>>92109
I have to ask where you're getting these names and questions from. Are these from something, or are you making them up?

Either way, I kinda like the ideas they present.
>>
Well gents looks like we hit 72 hour autosage. Next story post will be in a new thread.
>>92187
, .
>>92199
Like 30 miles. Jim should be within CB range though. Hell, he might even be looking for us since it's getting close to sundown.
>>92273
Those are all real places in Arizona.
>>
>>92230
>JB Weld
It'd be amusing if some institutions and corporations have survived the apocalypse.
>>
>>92187
>>92313
Fug, I meant put the letter i or b inside the brackets
>>
>>92316
Oh some have. Or at least their products have. Where do you think that can of refreshing Orange Crush came from? A 5 year old can would be all flat and nasty. Also the PRC may have commandeered a GM assembly plant or two.
>>
>>92187
Found why your formatting didn't work. Post formatting is only available to the OP.

>>92313
Make sure to post the link to the new thread here, and link to this thread at the top of the new thread!

>>92351
TWINKIES
>>
>>92273
Yep, those are actual places in the SW United States.
I assumed, given the time period, that there was a nuclear war between US and USSR. The Ruskies either invaded California and then the ICBMs started flying or the remaining Soviets have settled there after the nuclear exchange; "any port in a storm", as they say. I'm leaning towards the latter.
The insurgency part is a reference to Red Dawn, and the Quartz and Las Vegas bits are references to Wasteland and FNV.

Oh, and the Group of Soviet Forces in California is a reference to the occupation forces in East Germany
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_Soviet_Forces_in_Germany
>>
New bread
>>97652
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.