[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A KINGDOM OF CRYSTAL - Crystallid Civ. Thread (part 2)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (292KB, 920x597px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
292KB, 920x597px
PREVIOUS THREAD:
>>621786
>>634534

SHORT RECAP:
The crystallids have been awoken by the chaos left in the aftermath of a great war between two powerful mage-kings that attempted to dominate the world.

The result was a massive mana wasteland that covered a large portion of whatever continent you are one.

Now, you have decided to take advantage of the dangerous landscape and form a subterreanean crystal hive, managed by the powerful consiousness of a being named Aest, who physically controls and exists within the Hive.

Initial exploration attempts into the deepest parts of the earth you've yet to reach led to the discovery of a strange energy cultivating mushrooms. Upon experimentation, the mushrooms appear to be from some mycanoid creature.

Three mycanoids now stand inside an obervation cell surrounded by thick, clear crystal, deep within the safety of your Hive.

----

The things behind the containment shield were... Unnatural to say the least. Your own personal physiology was highly dependent on regulated and supreme order, ridgid crystal through-and-through, but the fungal beasts before you were natural expressions of chaos. As they grew, tumors and growths formed and reshaped themslves dozens of times, twisted, gnarled limbs broke out of their torsos ending in stubby nubs that probably worked as fingers or claws for the clearly... Strange looking beasts. If anything brought you unease about the mushrooms, it was just how oddly they seemed to characterize animal form - two stood, one taller than yourself, one far shorter, and even a small rodent or dog-like fungal creature. All three stared at you, horrible grimaces of displeasure being shown through their jagged faces.

Your best bet in communicating with them peacefully, you assume, is to hope they have some manifestation of language - so using Aest's manifestation, you have her speak through the walls in as many common tongues as your Hive memory had access to.

>roll 5 1d100 to determine success in communication with the mycanoids

DC: 50
Win/Loss ratios
-----
5/0 W/L - Crit. Success
4/1 W/L - Major Success
3/2 W/L - Average Success
2/3 W/L - Average Failure
1/4 W/L - Major Failure
0/5 W/L - Critical Failure
>>
Rolled 51, 95, 81, 2, 78 = 307 (5d100)

>>634675
>>
>>634691
No anon, just 1d100 per person
>>
>>634691
oh. okay. that will take a while.
>>
>>634692
>>634695
how did i do that?
>>
Rolled 49 (1d100)

>>634692
i think we need to do something with all this magic that's just sitting in the mana wastes.
It can't be that hard to do something with it.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 1500x6400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 1500x6400px
>>634675
>>634710
Along with this anons thinking, here's the civ template to see the crystallids' benefits/detriments

If some anon could blow up a picture of their section on the civ sheet I'd be really thankful, since we'll need it every thread and I'm mobile for most of the day.
>>
>>634711
here ya go
>>
Rolled 18 (1d100)

>>634675
>>
Rolled 55 (1d100)

>>634675
>>
Rolled 77 (1d100)

>>634675
Rollin'
>>
File: Crystal.jpg (10KB, 188x266px) Image search: [Google]
Crystal.jpg
10KB, 188x266px
Rolled 8 (1d100)

HERE WE GO!
>>
>>635022
Oh god.
>>
>>635022
>>635024
nice.
>>
10/10 OP is dead
>>
>>635349
Calm your tits we've established I'm horrible at keeping update times low

That being said, update inc
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 736x1012px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 736x1012px
>>634691
W
>>634710
L
>>634729
L
>>634920
W
>>635965
W

3/2 W/L - Minor Success

At first, there's no measurable response from the Mycanoids, only the blank, conflicted stare of a creature backed into a corner.

Then you find a dialect of the common tongue that seems to click, not by much but you begin to see some recognition in the grotesque fungus' face.

"We... Peaceful" you manage to sound out in the strange tongue. The mycanoids look at eachother, before a high pitched screech that vaguely sounds like a similar tongue is emitted from the larger creature, the shrill tone more annoying than any sound your short existence has registed.

"WHHHaat ARRRRee ROCK MAn!?" The fungus screams in octaves not meant for communication for auditory creatures.

> "Crystal men. We. Race of peace."
> "Identify. Species."
> Say something else (write-in)
> Say nothing
> Other (write in)
>>
>>635447

>"We are Order We are Purpose. We are Consistancy"

>"Identify yourself."
>>
>>635447
>>
>>635447
> "Identify. Species."
>>
>>635447
>WE ROOOOock MAn WE PEACEFul
>>
>>635456
>>635463
>>635454
>>635463
>>635473

"We. Rock men. We. Race of peace." You manage to verbalize through the sheet of crystal.

"Identify yourself" your strained tones announce.

"WEEE are MYCANO TRIIIbe!" The larger mushroom announces. "SUPERIOR TO OTHER MYCANOIDDD"

> What do you ask? First three questions will be answered.
>>
>>635488
>Will you join us
>>
>>635488
>What is your preferred method of speaking?
>>
>>635488

>"Where are the other inferior Mycanoids located?"
>>
>>635693
>>635502
>>635519

"How, do you speak?" Your mind is getting strained at this point, speaking within this weird intersection of two distantly related languages.

The Myconoids stare at you, before screeching out, "You NO HEar US iNSIIIDee here" the shorter one shakes in frustration.

You follow up quickly, "Then. How?"

The screeching large mushroom replies in a clearly aggitated tone, "SEED, CHEMIcal, SPore! YOU no HHHEAR"

Communication must operate through some form of chemical exchange through their spores.

"Where... Inferior Myconoid... Location?" You grunt out fighting against the mental strain of the abhorrent language.

"BENEATH, DEEP, DEEEEP" The dog like fungus squeaks, the tone so high you doubt many species could hear it.

"Will... Mycono... Join us?" You rumble through the crystal wall.

"YEsss IFFF you RELEASE Mycono!" The large one replies.

> Raise the wall
> Keep them imprisoned, move on to a different task (write-in)
> Purge the cell to experiment on the corpses
> Release one (pick which), keep the rest imprisoned
> OTHER
>>
>>635757
>Release them
>What could go wrong.jpg
>>
>>635757
>>Release them
>>What could go wrong.jpg
>>
>>635776
This
>>
>>635757

>Call some crystal guardians to stand guard

>Raise wall

>Prepare to purge Myconoids with extreme abhorrence if they exhibit agression
>>
>>635757
Other

"How many tribes?"
>>
>>635757
>Release them
>What could go wrong.jpg
>>
>>635804
This
>>
Let us consider what we gain from associating further with these Myconoids...

Assuming they end up serving us, be it as a slave or as a vassal, what could they actually do for us...

Well, going from least to most helpful, an enslaved class of myconoids within our society could serve us as:

* A menial labor force [Industrial]: They are probably capable of hauling objects from one place to another. They would make poor cleaners, as even a slight jostle would cause them to shower whatever room they are standing in with spores. They are also sentient, meaning they could unionize and start making demands. While production of our own drones might be considerably slower than the mushrooms, they will probably be more competent at they're jobs, given that their non-sentient nature makes them little more than extensions of our will...

*Meat shields/Distractions [Military]: Our more sophisticated servants will require a significant time investment to produce. Having a wall of witless fungi soaking up damage and drawing away enemies in the place of our own kind would be somewhat beneficial.

The final options are ones which I would like the other players to strongly consider...

* Use Myconoids as cattle (Resource): OP mentioned that these creatures contained notable quantities of energy, we could farm these quick-spawning entities and use them to enhance our [nest/hive/geode]'s growth. Perhaps we could even selectively breed these creature's for higher energy yields...

*Use Myconoid's as experimental labrats: Experimenting with magically-charged, organic entities might yield some interesting revelations...
>>
>>637741
Consider a possible problem however, myconoids breed quickly, a scenario where we are outnumbered 100 to 1 is indeed a possibility.
Their energy output could be useful, but would we want to tie ourselves down with a link to organic matter?
Another issue that could be a big problem, assuming we do accept them as allies or slaves or any other form of relationship, this would mean that the other mycenoids would see us as their allies, making them our enemies in turn. I suggest picking a relationship that ranges from neutral to hostile, these creatures hold too much risk and next to no benefits.

Experimentation can be done without their agreement.
>>
>>637741
Enslaving sounds like a better option to be honest.
Using them to create magic batteries for us to use later, as we are unable to produce it innately, would probably help immensely.
>>
>>637753

>>637826

You misunderstand...

I am advocating for use of the Myconoids regardless of their consent, as opposed to forming an accord with them...

Honestly, I think we should just beat them up, and go back to either experimenting on them and/or farming them...

Also, who cares if the Myconoids can outnumber us?

What are they going to do, shatter our crystalline bodies with their spongy mushroom fists?
>>
Honestly the myconids probably aren't going to work out as allies without significant alteration of their genetic structure.

But we don't need to let the current batch of fungi know how much we hate them.

In fact having them as allies allows us to study their weaknesses for the purpose of "destroying the weaker tribes' so the mycono can "rule supreme". Then once we have a handle on what kills them and their spores, we equip a huge mycono war band with our "ultimate weapon" for use against the "inferior races" and give the mycono the honor of using it.

Too bad the mycono will be caught in the blast radius as well. A tragedy surely. In honor of their memory we will purge all myconids lands with fire and take their biomass and mana for our own use.
>>
>>637858
I like that plan, the mushroom guys are too dangerous in the long term.
>>
>>638057
>>637858
>>637848
>>637826
You guys really hate mushrooms, huh?
>>
>>638660
Would you trust a talking 7ft mushroom?

And sorry for the wait guys! At work, will post when I'm off my shift.
>>
>>638660
It's a matter of philosophical differences.

We are a perfect race of elegant and harmonic patterns, ideally placed to express the best qualities inherent to the phenomenon of life itself while avoiding the messy pitfalls.

And they are fucking tumor shrooms.
>>
>>639422
>ideally placed
I must have missed the part where Opii explained that.

Also,
>perfect race
And yet this whole hive intelligence was apparently secretly always there. That a mutation is serving to greatly increase productivity calls the term "perfect" into question.
>>
>>638660
I do not hate them, if a race is to have a boom growing 100 times faster than us we have no guarantees that they won't overrun us.
>>
>>635785
>>635797
>>635804
>>635909
>>636873
>>637218
>>637741

You stare at the Myconids, every fiber of your attention deciding the safety of releasing these beasts. Something about you couldn't shake the feeling, and so you order several guardians to flank the door and center.

You send a mental command to Aest, and the wall slowly melts into the floor. The three myconids walk out, stumbling on their grotesquely twisted limbs. The guardians, larger by many measures than the largest Myconid, stood solemnly and silent, several walking to surround the mushrooms.

Your vision notices several sacs growing and pulsating on the shorter humanoid's back, another on the rodent's head.

Something is about to burst.

> Command the guardians to slaughter the mushrooms but avoid the sacs
> Cut out the several seconds needed for communication, and cut them down yourself
> Attempt to instead subdue them with a command to Aest, which may take time
> Allow them to continue
>other (write in)
>>
>>640969
They're fucking spore vectores sent to burst every last inch of our cavern, we have to contain them! It's a trap!
>>
>>640969

>Order Aest to seal this chamber off from the rest of our base post-haste

>Purge the filthy organics
>>
>>640969
Screw these spongey bastards I'll cut em down myself
>>
>>640969
> Cut out the several seconds needed for communication, and cut them down yourself
>>
>>640969
>Seal off this room from the rest of the base
>Allow them to continue
>what could go wrong.jpg
but really, we ARE made of crystal and don't really breath.
>>
>>640980
>>641031
>>641041
>>641048
>>641326

The sight of the cancerous pockets as they continued to undulate under the spongey-looking flesh of the myconids was simply too much of a risk to bear, and quickly you step forward, arms near-instantly shaped into two blades, and start to swing towards the two with the pockets. The myconids start screeching as they realize your intention.

Roll 5 1d100 to kill or atleast harm the Myconids growing the pockets

DC: 40
>>
Rolled 18 (1d100)

>>641532
I fear my luck, but here we go!
>>
>>641538
Well this is ridiculous......
>>
>>641538
>>641542
R.i.p
>>
>>641532
Stab that fungal monstrosity through its heart
>>
Rolled 41 (1d100)

>>641576
Let's see if it lets me roll dice on mobile
>>
>>641581
Yep, and it's even a pass!
>>
Rolled 96 (1d100)

>>641532
>>
Rolled 28 (1d100)

>>641532
Here goes nothing
>>
Rolled 7 (1d100)

>>641532
MFW we kill a mushroom dude's unborn children
>>
>>641618
damn son

>>641679
I think he's the fantasy equivalent of a suicide bomb which was pretty good thinking by OP in my opinion, I would've never expected it till it exploded and filled our cavern with fast growing spores

Fungi don't need sunlight, only water, which makes them a problem underground
>>
File: chaoswastes.jpg (221KB, 800x489px) Image search: [Google]
chaoswastes.jpg
221KB, 800x489px
bumping for fun
>>
File: p1000620-small.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
p1000620-small.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
>>
File: IMG_1593.jpg (213KB, 1600x1065px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1593.jpg
213KB, 1600x1065px
>>
Rolled 39 (1d100)

>>641532

Rolling...
>>
>>641700

Doesn't matter how well that individual person did...

Overall, four of us missed the mark, which means we get a major failure...
>>
>>642142
No only three of us missed! My 40 was passing and his 90 was too! Not totally epic failure!
>>
>>642175

My mistake, we only got an average failure...

Fuck, and I came so close to turning it into an average success...
>>
>>642185
It's alright! A few setbacks don't spell doom, it'll be fun cleaning up the ensuing mess anyway
>>
So, given that Opii is clearly deceased, what do you say to having this thread hijacked?

Be warned, I don't have a lot of free time. You may be certain however that I have more free time than OP.

Further, I am an inexperienced QM who has been lurking /qst/ and /tg/ for years.

Lastly, many of my posts will be from my phone, including this post.

Would you like me to steal this thread?

>Yes
>No

Would you like me to implement my own rules? (D10 based on competence and training best of 3-5 rolls)

>Yes
>No

Would you like to start over?

>Yes
>no
>>
>>649269
Fuck off you vulture.

I'm dealing with a death of a close friend's father. I didn't post for 24 hours, calm down.
>>
>>649786
I don't think he was trying to insult you op. I think he just liked your threads basis and didn't want to see it die
>>
>>649786
I don't think it's anything personal OP, these things happen a lot in civ threads
>>
>>649786
Only thing is we need someone reliable. I am sorry your going through shot but keep in mind that we don't know you at all so don't expect to much sympathy
>>
>>649786

These
>>650639
>>651068

But also this
>>651758

Was not trying to insult you. We don't have a window into your life. I am used to /tg/'s pace of posting, and as such I honestly believed that you had abandoned quest.

In the future you would be well served to take a second and let us know if you have IRL concerns to take care of. I am sorry to hear about your friend's father.
>>
>>650639
>>651068
>>651758
>>651813

Yeah, sorry for snapping. It just bugged the ever living hell out of me when I was coming out of a really stressful day, planning on reading player discussion and all that, then see someone trying to take it over.

I'll start to hold regular updates when I get back home tonight (making a twitter to alert y'all about run times)

So - Sorry again for the confusion/wait time, this past-week turned out to be a shitty cornucopia of Uni exams, friend's depression, and a 40 hour work week. Going into the future (especoally this week) I have a lot more time to actually run sessions instead of aporadic updates
>>
>>651881
Sweet!
The twitter helps a lot and sorry about your irl stuff man
>>
>>652039
@Emperor_QM

It's a thing now, will announce times in a few hours
>>
>>652157
Sorry, got my own handle wrong ...

@Emperor_of_QM
>>
so dead? :/
>>
>>659572
Seems like it
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.