[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Per Abyssa Ad Astra (Civ game)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

File: fishman mug.jpg (80KB, 704x898px) Image search: [Google]
fishman mug.jpg
80KB, 704x898px
For generations, your people have dwelt in the dark plains, far beneath the roiling skies - eking out an existence from hunting the sparse few meat to be had here. You are Saakima, son of the chieftain Rakamaaka, and you are almost of the age where you must undertake the ritual to adulthood. Your tribe looks to you more and more as your father grow older, and the shaman Tiraati has said that it is time.

You are led out from the shaman's cave in traditional scale-paint, the tribe cheering you and your father standing there, proud. You are supposed to go up to the roiling sky, and bring back a sacred object to the tribe.
"My son! This is a momentous day, may you find that which belongs from the sky!" Your father said, holding back brine tears in his eyes, as he hands you your equipment...

>[ ] A hunter's spear, tipped with rare obsidian
>[ ] A shaman's focus, an idol of the deep gods
>[ ] Several daggers, along with some vials of poison
>>
>>445363
A Shaman's focus, an Idol of the deep gods.
>>
>>445385
A small figurine of the Sleeping God, Caatuhu, was given to you. Made of polished stone from the gizzard of the Wayfarer-beasts, it took three years to fully form the strange curves that allow you to channel the power of the Sleeping God through you.
"My son, I knew you are a fast learner in the ways of the gods, and may you return as a capable chieftain and shaman. May the Sleeping God bless you in his dreams, and may you be safe from the dangers of the roiling sky."
You grip the idol, and wore it on a necklace.
"I hope I'll see you soon, father. I will return, and lead our tribe to prosperity."
With that, you start to swim upwards, the sight of your people slowly receding to the depths. Even though your heart is heavy, you then think of what to get from the roiling sky - and where.

>[ ] Maybe a shell, with dazzling colors from the sandy peaks?
>[ ] You've heard of the strange thing called 'metal', maybe you could find some in the blackened valley?
>[ ] Forget about that, you should aim higher. Reach the roiling sky's shimmering surface first!
>[ ] Other (fill in)
>>
>>445419
Food, maybe seeds that grow in the ground?
>>
>>445428
Food? Food that grows from the ground itself? You have heard legends about these 'plants' growing plentifully nearer to the roiling sky. You do not know if your tribe could even eat those, as the few 'plants' that can grow on the dark plains were all sources of poison - at least that's what Tiraati the shaman said.
Then, you feel something approaching from directly to your front, in the murky darkness. You hope it isn't a Longfang, or perhaps the Sharpmaw. You grip the idol dangling on your chest and utter a prayer...

>[ ] Begone, ye predators, like a waking dream, I banish thee!
>[ ] Come fold into my mind, like a dreamer sinks - I am your friend, not food.
>[ ] By the sleeping currents, let me pass quickly, and halt your passage.
>[ ] May the tendrils of Caatuhu rend ye limb from limb!
>>
>>445460
>[ ] Come fold into my mind, like a dreamer sinks - I am your friend, not food.
We /fishcharmer/ now
>>
>>445467
You pool the power of the Sleeping God like Tiraati taught you, and open your eyes towards the approaching creature. "Come fold into my mind, like a dreamer sinks - I am your friend, not food."
Within an instant, you feel yourself as a Sharpmaw, your graceful skin covered in tiny teeth - and you see - or more likely, smell - yourself in the distance. You close the distance and circle around your meditative form, before returning to your senses, finding a sleek Sharpmaw nuzzling your hand.
"There we go. O Sharpmaw, long cousin, I am on a journey to the roiling sky - might you guide me there?"
Silently, it snakes its lithe body upwards, and you follow it.
Strangely, you feel as if you're approaching closer to the roiling sea, but the darkness still envelop you. Wasn't it supposed to become lighter?

>[ ] Check your bearings, maybe a wily current dragged you away.
>[ ] Perhaps there's something blocking the light?
>[ ] Maybe this is what the legends call 'night', of which the Sleeping God's followers are protected from the roiling sea's dangers by the dark.
>>
>>[x ] Maybe this is what the legends call 'night', of which the Sleeping God's followers are protected from the roiling sea's dangers by the dark.
>>
>>445509
You recall the stories the shaman told you. Unlike the dark plains where it's dark all the time, the roiling sea has a time where everything is bright, and the dangers might see you clearly. But the Sleeping God threw one of his dreams, so that his believers might be protected, unseen.
"So this is what they call 'night'. Not much different from home on the dark plains, eh, long cousin?" you ask the Sharpmaw, but it just continues snaking up. You follow, and you can hear the sound of the roiling sea above - you are close now.

>[ ] Proceed to find a 'plant', and determine if it's edible.
>[ ] You've worked up a bit of hunger, find some meat for you and Sharpmaw.
>[ ] Keep going, you want to see what lies beyond the roiling sea.
>>
>>445527
>[ ] Proceed to find a 'plant', and determine if it's edible.
>>
>>445527
>[X] Proceed to find a 'plant', and determine if it's edible.
>>
>>445527
>[x] You've worked up a bit of hunger, find some meat for you and Sharpmaw.
>>
>>[x ] Proceed to find a 'plant', and determine if it's edible.
>>
>>445527
>[X] Proceed to find a 'plant', and determine if it's edible.
>>
>>445546
>>445674
>>445803
>>446200
Apologies for the delay, last night thunder forces me to shutdown early and this morning is plagued by internet troubles.

--------------------------------

Looking around, you find yourself close to the peak of a cliff - and you hope that there's some of these 'plants' growing there. Your Sharpmaw friend accompanies you as you approach the cliff - and surely enough, you find things growing there that looks like flat eels, yet they succumb to the currents. You are about to pull one out from the ground, but a face emerges from between the 'plant' fronds. It's one of your people!
"Hey you! What do you think you are doing?"

>[ ] Sharpmaw, please protect me!
>[ ] Grab your idol and pray
>[ ] Attempt diplomacy
>[ ] Other (fill in)
>>
>>447199
>[X] Grab your idol and pray
>>
>>447199
>speak to person

HO FRIEND! BE YOU FRENDO O' KNAVO?

Also I'm collecting food from plants
>>
>>447212
>>447215
You grab your idol, just as the other dweller reveals themselves fully. He examines you for a moment as you examine him - a warrior, evidenced from his scars and the three-pronged spear he wields. After a tense moment he speaks up, "Hum! I've never seen you before, much less anyone that can tame that Sharpmaw. Where are you from?"
"I am Saakima, son of chieftain Rakamaaka, and I am here on a ritual to adulthood."
"Well met, Saakima, I am Korta, son of warrior Jaarto. But I've never heard of a chieftain named Rakamaaka before?"

>[ ] tell him of the dark plains, where your tribe dwells.
>[ ] dare ye disrespect my father?
>[ ] inquire of his tribe, and where did he come from.
>>
>>447371
>[X] inquire of his tribe, and where did he come from.
then
>[X] tell him of the dark plains, where your tribe dwells.
>>
>>447371
>[X] tell him of the dark plains, where your tribe dwells.
>>
>>447387
>>447891
"I come from the dark plains, far below the roiling sky."
Korta's eyes widen. "What! I thought nobody lived there, how did you survive?" The scarred warrior now moving closer to you, all language of hostility leaves his body for a moment.
"We hunt for the scarce meat to survive, and battle the creatures of the dark for it. Which led me to the explanation of why I wanted to pull this... 'plant'? to bring back to hopefully grow back there."
Korta, still wide-eyed, sighs. "I'm afraid that's not how farming kelp works. Tell you what, come be a guest in my village, Tarka, let our shaman and our scholar fill you with knowledge. It's just over there." He points towards the seemingly-endless 'kelp'.
"Can't you tell me how?"
"I'm just here to guard the kelp, not plant it."
Oookay.

>[ ] Sure, OK, follow him
>[ ] Wait, this seems a bit suspicious
>[ ] Well, maybe later? I've got to find something else to finish my ritual, if I can't bring back one of these 'kelp'.
>[ ] Other (fill in)
>>
>>447937
Follow him. If we bring back the concept of Agriculture we're gonna have done pretty damn well.
>>
>>447964
"Very well, Korta, lead the way."
He silently motions for you to move along with him, as he disappears into the kelp. Your long cousin floats above the kelp, following Korta. After some time going through the kelp, you and Korta arrive on the edge of a place marked with rocks. You can see mounds of sand and rocks further out.
"Ayooee! Ayooee! Korta brings a guest from the depths!" Korta yells.
Suddenly, from beneath the sands, a dweller-warrior, then another, rose up, holding the same three-pronged spears as Korta.
"Korta, what is the meaning of this?" One of them speaks in a harsh tone.
"Have you heard of anyone living in the drop-off? Well, this guy here lives there."
"I'll... go tell the elders. Yeah." The other one, slimmer than Korta or the other warrior, slinks to the collection of mounds.
The other warrior eyes you suspiciously.

>[ ] Introduce yourself
>[ ] Show him your idol
>[ ] Show him the Sharpmaw
>[ ] Other (fill in)
>>
>>447976
>[X] Show him your idol
>>
>>[x ] Show him your idol

And introduce yourself! Don't be rude...
>>
>>448222
>>448272
You grab your idol, and show it to the leery warrior as your long cousin lazily circles above.
"I am Saakima, son of chieftain Rakamaaka, protege of shaman Tiraati, devotee of the Sleeping God." You then loosen your grip on the idol, and pound your chest with your fist.
"That is who I am. Who do I currently face?"
The warrior is a bit taken aback, obviously not familiar with the formality you've shown.
"Well met... I am Gorto, warrior of the Tarka village. You've met Korta, I guess, and the guy teling the elders there is Rakata. If he goes straight to the elders, then you will soon meet chieftain Kartak, shaman Yotra, and lorekeeper Puurta." He pauses, pondering something, as you see figures starting to rise from the mounds of sand. Other dwellers, just like you - and they're following three obviously important figures. Soon the chief, the shaman, and the lorekeeper can be seen in the distance.

What do you want to talk to them about first, after introducing yourself, of course?
>[ ] This village is much nicer than the caves your tribe dwelt in, back in the dark plains.
>[ ] How can you plant kelp? Maybe even in the dark plains?
>[ ] It seems that your village might know more about my tribe, chief.
>[ ] Have you heard about the Sleeping God?
>[ ] Other (fill in)

----------------------------

I may have trouble posting on weekdays, since sometimes the office IP is one that 4chan blocks. Thank you for understanding.
>>
>>449744
>[x ] How you plant green rok? Maybe in dark-dark?
>>
>>449841
"Hail, traveler! I am chieftain Kartak, son of chieftain Tordak. With me are shaman Yotra, protege of shaman Waarto, and lorekeeper Puurta. We have heard you come from the deep beneath the drop-off, is that correct?" The chieftain's booming voice announces his arrival.
"Yes, chieftain Kartak. I am Saakima, son of chieftain Rakamaaka, protege of shaman Tiraati, devotee of the Sleeping God. My tribe has long lived in the dark plains for generations."
Shaman Yotra perks up at the mention of the Sleeping God. "It's true, then. But why come here, near the roiling sky?" his tone more curious than inquisitive.
"It is a custom of my tribe to go up and bring something from the roiling sky as a ritual to adulthood." You pause, noting the unchanging gaze of the chieftain, the curious look of the lorekeeper, and the satisfied look of the shaman. You continue. "I wish to learn how to plant kelp, to help my tribe live better."
The chieftain eyes you, then eyes the Sharpmaw still circling above you, then back to you again. "A noble cause. You may stay among us for a while. The shaman and the lorekeeper have plenty of question for you. On one condition - let that Sharpmaw go, release it to the currents."
You thank the chieftain, and the shaman and lorekeeper lead you to a mound of sand. Upon closer inspection, it is actually made of dried kelp and stone, the fronds keeping the sand outside.

>[ ] Inquire about kelp planting
>[ ] Inquire about the history of this tribe
>[ ] Inquire about the history of your tribe
>[ ] Inquire about how the shaman seems to know about the Sleeping God
>[ ] Other (fill in)
>>
>>450284
>[X] Inquire about the history of this tribe
>>
>>450284
>[ x] Inquire about kelp planting

How da fuq u eat dis plant shit?
>>
>>450596
>>450683
As per the chief's request, you grab your idol and say a prayer. "Long cousin, thank you for your guidance, may the Sleeping God grant you access to his dreams. Go on now, be free." The shaman and the lorekeeper watches as the circling Sharpmaw suddenly stops, and then chose a direction and lose itself in the distance.
"Amazing. I have never actually seen such control before!" the lorekeeper, Puurta, can hardly contain her excitement.
"O shaman, I am here to learn about these things that you call kelp, and how to plant them." You say, straight-forwardly.
"Hmm! What do you want to do, once you know how?" The shaman asks, testingly.
"I want to provide for my tribe, back in the dark plains. A new source of food that does not need to be hunted, that is something to bring back, yes?"
The shaman laughs. "Oh, I see. But it will be a challenge. You see, kelp only grow where there's enough light. You could try and grow the kelp that actually grows on the dark plains... but I think you already know they're poisonous."
Your chest falls. So close, yet so far...
"Although, I heard that there could be something else to grow on the dark plains. However, it requires you to find the other deep tribes." the shaman turns to the lorekeeper. "Puurta, will you kindly recite the history since before the time of legends?"
"Very well, shaman. This was told to you as it was told to me by shaman Waarto, who kept the story from the shamans before him." She continues. "Far ago in the waves of time, we dwellers had a big kingdom, under the roiling sea. This first kingdom stretches from the northernmost corner of the sky, to the southernmost. We used to be prosperous, meat and kelp was plentiful and dangers little. But then, as the kingdom grew, so do the evil in the dweller's hearts grew. The Gods' calls were left unheard, and trust no longer hold people together. Then, one fateful day, the king was slain, and the throne-taker threatened those who defy him to exile or death. Some of these exiled ones were driven deep below in the dark places, the chasms and abyss far below the roiling sea. These exiles become the tribes of the deep, like yours - left alone for generations." As she tells her story, her voice slowly changes from the excited young dweller into one which is heavy with experience and wisdom.
"But, as the waves turn, the throne-taker was slain himself, but now there are many who claim the throne. As they fought each other, something came from above the roiling sky. The sky-people. They come in metal shells that do not break against our spears, spears that launch themselves out of their hands, and big homes that seem like bigger Wayfarer-beasts. They destroyed and enslaved some of the dwellers, while the rest fled into the corners of the kingdom. That is how we come to be, the village of Tarka." She ends her story there, and her eyes return to being the cheery, excited dweller you met before.

cont.
>>
>>450999
The shaman adds. "These sky-people, they still raid dwellers from time to time. This is why we built our village to look like mounds of sand, so that we may hide from the sky-people." He pauses. "Well, that and what the spirits tell me. They help me to see if sky-people are around, and warn the dwellers of their coming." He cups his hand like he's listening to something. "In fact, maybe they're trying to say that we've got you as a guest... wait."
His face grows confused. The loremaster looks confused. "What do you mean there's another guest? Be it sky-people?! Not them, no..." He strains, as if to pick out a voice among many. "This one came from the sky above sky above the roiling sky..."

Right at that moment, you hear a distant boom that grows into a wave that almost topples the kelp hut the three of you are in.
What the fuck was that?!?

>[ ] Pray for guidance from the Sleeping God
>[ ] Ask the shaman and the lorekeeper if this has happened before
>[ ] Help out the chieftain and the warriors, even if it's not the sky-people his people might need help
>[ ] Check to the direction of the boom, find if the other guest is hostile or not
>[ ] Other (fill in)
>>
>>451004
>[X] Help out the chieftain and the warriors, even if it's not the sky-people his people might need help
>>
>>451004
>[x] Other (fill in)

>inquire as to whether or no they praise the sun
>>
>>451209
>>451482
You check on the shaman and the lorekeeper. Both are alright, albeit slightly shocked. "Wait, stay here, I'll go see what's happening." You poke your head out the hut, and see that several others are toppled. Korta and Gorto are already up, trying to upright a kelp hut. The chief, Kartak, is gathering the villagers on a clearing - taking head count of the village.
"Chieftain Kartak! What can I do to help?" You ask.
"Saakima! What was that?" The chief says, hurry in his voice.
"I have never experienced that before - but the shaman said that it came from the sky above the sky above the roiling sky."
"This is truly a strange occurence." His eyes widen. "How is Yorta and Puurta?"
"They are fine, our hut got thrown sideways."
The chief sighs in relief. "Phew. So you want to help, Saakima? You could help Korta and the warriors in uprighting the huts, and find those still trapped. Can you do that?"
"Yes, I shall help them." You zip to where Korta and Gorto are.
"Oh, thank the Orb! we've got help." Korta says, right before he places a hut back to its position.
Around you you see that most of the village is upended in one direction; all the huts blown from the boom in the far north. One hut lay in the kelp farms to the east, rolling along the current and you see it's headed to the drop-off above the dark plains of your home. Nobody else seem to have noticed.

>[ ] Pray to the Sleeping God to see where everyone is
>[ ] Swim towards the lone hut rolling to the cliff with all your might
>[ ] Ask Korta for help with that lone hut
>>
>>453956
>[ ] Swim towards the lone hut rolling to the cliff with all your might

It's not like anyone else is going anywhere
>>
>>454606
"By the Sleeping God!" You say, before you zip towards the rolling hut. Korta and Gorto was at first confused, but once their gaze follows yours, they quickly follow. You see that the rolling has slowed somewhat due to the kelp it's hitting, but it's still got enough momentum to drop off the cliff. You reach the hut as it clears the kelp farms, and found a grip. You pull, yet the hut is heavy - you almost fall down the drop-off with the hut when Korta, then Gorto, reaches you and grabbed the hut, too.
Wordlessly, the three of you pull the hut back, and set it on the kelp farm for now.
"You have quite the sharp eye, Saakima. Nobody wants to be homeless, especially after some disaster like that."
You nod, too winded to give a proper response. It was then that you see the glow to the north, beyond the kelp, beyond the deep.

----------------------

Okay, let's cut it there for now. Trying to update during work hours is kinda distracting in both ways, so expect another thread next weekend. I know it's still introductions and worldbuilding right now, before the real meat of the civ-game, but what do you think of the quest so far? Interesting enough for continuation?
Thank you for participating!
>>
>>457468
It's a brilliantly developed world with characters to fit. There's so much potential to build from the open ends you've left in lore and plot development. If you do it right, you can make a wonderfully enjoyable interactive experience with a a!bientl captivating world. I've noticed the patterns in action for choices, and the inatituin of a rudimentary class system (priestly actions versus more warrior or diplomatic actions) is also a bonus to the amount of freedom over the character's personality. Please continue it.
>>
>>459829
Alright, expect a continuation this weekend. If this thread haven't sank under the calm waves yet, it'll be continued in the same thread. Thank you for the feedback!
>>
>>462752
Oh neat, didn't realize you ran quests IG, please continue this.
>>
The night has ended in the village of Tarka, and another glow appears over the eastern part of the roiling sea. You became agitated, only to be reassured by Korta and Yotra that it's natural.
"It's just the Shining Orb, sailing its way through the sky beyond the roiling sky."
Thanks to your quick spotting of the runaway hut, the village did not lose any huts, although some of them had to be dug from the sands.
"I myself only knew of the Sleeping God - could it be that there are other gods than him and the Orb?"
"Perhaps. If what happened last night was the result of another god's doing, we might have to check out the north. Are you coming, Saakima?" Korta asks, excitedly.
"Now, hold on, Korta. Remember that he's here to bring back knowledge of farming to his tribe, but he'll need to go to the other deep tribes for things he can plant in the dark plains." Yotra says.
"Very well then, it's up to Saakima. We, the dwellers of the village Tarka, thank you for your help. May the path you choose be well."

>[ ] Go with Korta, check the north glow
>[ ] Go to seek the other deep tribes for plantable stuff
>[ ] Stay here for a while, learn more of the history of the dwellers
>[ ] Other (fill in)
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.