[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lost Gith Quest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 16

File: LostGithQstI.jpg (340KB, 660x936px) Image search: [Google]
LostGithQstI.jpg
340KB, 660x936px
A hot iron brands your mind. On it, the word 'Irrokozar'.

The name darts about in your consciousness, as though it were marked by a benevolent eidolon's meticulous hands.

There is still much you can claim to *know;* perhaps your quest is to find your son, whose loss of faith sparked vehement retaliation from the zerth of Sanzerathad. You cannot blame them, however, after what happened at Shrak'kt'lor.

Are you searching for the defiler of Shrak'kl'tor, then? No... his name is no longer *known* to you, nor are his intentions. Besides, the githzerai mind is one of introspection, not retribution. This fact is what separates your kind from its bloodthirsty and vengeful cousins, the githyanki.

If only you could remember the world before. Yours is a mind without reflection. You find yourself in a strange place with the undeniable charm of the Prime Material, although its stench is uncanny. Your senses *know* that something is wrong here.

You are left only with with your basest instincts, like an abandoned babe in the woods. Gone are the teachings of your cenobite days, gone are the lessons you swore to protect.

Now you have but one objective: to endure. In enduring, you will grow strong.

{Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN1hBkYrxCQ}
{Twit: https://twitter.com/Scoundrel_OP}

[pt. 1/2 -- next post incoming]
>>
File: WhatLiesBeyondthePortal.jpg (119KB, 1280x905px) Image search: [Google]
WhatLiesBeyondthePortal.jpg
119KB, 1280x905px
>>437464

Unknown Continent: First of Plateshift, Unknown Year

You plummet to the cold floor of a tunnel from a considerable distance above. You scrape your forehead in a foreward skid down a man-made slope, peeling the skin like an apple just before you tumble off sideways. In one swift motion you've been thrust into an unfamiliar existence; your only evidence of a past life being what few memories your ample Wisdom permits, and a portal of shimmering red and orange light on the cave ceiling, just past the slope behind you.

As you rise to your bare feet you feel infantile, as though you are taking the first steps you've ever taken in your life. Perhaps you'd even believe that, were there not a portal ahead that alludes to the contrary. A few fleeting memories briefly fill your mind...
Abyssal...
Sanzerathad...
Irrokozar. That's you. You are here for a reason.

>There's no time to waste. Charge the portal and get out of this strange place! [roll 1d20 - 5 to attempt running with your weak legs.]
>Clearly, you are meant for this mysterious world. Get up and walk away from the portal; you will find your purpose eventually. [roll 1d20 - 1 to prevent Stage 1 Regret.]
>Call out to whoever may be listening from the other side of the portal, but don't get up. Taking drastic action would only over-exert your body. It still feels fragile. [roll 1d20 to see what happens.]
>Remember why you are here. [roll 1d20 + 2. Slight bonus due to proximity to portal.]
>Write-in?

[pt. 2/2]

Feedback is encouraged. Also, I'm not a very fast writer but I love player interaction; write-in votes and vote combinations are always great to have.
>>
Rolled 17 + 2 (1d20 + 2)

>>437466
>Remember...
>>
Rolled 7 + 2 (1d20 + 2)

>>437466
>Remember why you are here. [roll 1d20 + 2. Slight bonus due to proximity to portal.]

That seems like an important thing to know though either way it seems like we are better off getting out of this place somehow. What does Stage 1 Regret imply?
>>
>>437491
Regret is probably a mental debuf like it's always been.
>>
>>437483
>>437491
>>437496

Sorry about that! I'm back now. Taking the first roll.

Also, there are very few stats at work in this thread but you can expect a few very minor RPG elements here and there.

Regret, as anon said, is a mental debuff but it's more of a slight story modifier than a stat change. Your character may experience certain things differently or have his abilities hindered slightly by these debuffs.
>>
File: claustrophobia.jpg (51KB, 467x350px) Image search: [Google]
claustrophobia.jpg
51KB, 467x350px
>>437635

>Remember...

17 + 2 = 19. Success.

The portal awakens foreign feelings bundled with the all-too-familiar pain of losing a dedicated ward. All that potential gone to waste...

A sudden flash of light knocks you off your feet. The portal closes, slamming shut with the force of a metallic gate. Just as postern doors allow defenders to sally out of a castle to meet the attackers, these beams of light weave expertly to your flanks and assault your mind from all angles. They tell you:

RETURN TO A FAMILIAR PLACE.
YOU ARE TOO PURE FOR THIS WORLD.
SURELY YOU WILL FIND HIM HERE.
DO NOT TOUCH THE ABOMINATIONS.
IF YOU RETURN, I WILL FIND YOU.

An hour later, you awaken. Visions of depravity continue to bore holes within your mind, filling them with only hatred and lust for violence. You know what they say about those who stare into the Abyss.

Behind you is a slope of collapsed rocks. Atop the slope lies an abundance of ash and charred imps, as left by the portal.

Ahead of you is a narrow path that will only get narrower as you progress. You can't see the end of the path, but the very thought of traversing it makes you feel claustrophobic.

To your left is a much more open path with a dim light at the end. It would be the most enticing if not for the faint whispers that seem to emanate from within.

>Rest and recuperate, but be weary. Something draws near -- you can feel it.
>Go left. The light may be an exit, or a sign of civilization.
>Crawl up the slope, inspect the charred imps.
>Go forward. The reward may be worth the risk.
>Look for any items that may have been left around. Surely you weren't naked before you got here.
>Combine options or write-in.
>>
>>437687
Ah, shit. That "visions of depravity" line was not explained very well. I meant to imply that you continue to experience depraved visions in spite of your better nature, not that they've fully transformed you.
>>
>>437687
Look for items then go to the forward path
>>
>>437687
>>Look for any items that may have been left around, but be weary. Something draws near -- you can feel it.
>>
File: beastlair.jpg (263KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
beastlair.jpg
263KB, 1920x1080px
>>437759
>>437846
Taking these!

>Look for items[...]

A quick search for items turns up nothing significant save for a few stones and a single sandal. You deduce that this sandal was custom-made for you, since it fits perfectly.

Wearing one sandal by itself feels awkward, but it's certainly better than stepping around stones and cold surfaces with nothing to protect your foot. You're still naked otherwise.
You also nab a few stones, why not.

Inventory -
3 stones

Although you have not found any kind of formidable weapon in the vicinity, you feel instinctively repulsed at the notion that you would need one. With some movement of your arms, you feel a vibration within them. They feel strong and weathered; clearly, these fists are tried, tested, and true.

>[...]Then go on the forward path.

Baby steps can only take you so far. With each footstep, you feel your body adjusting to the sensations of this world. You feel more balanced and grounded, and your baby steps soon evolve into a wobbly stride. Some graduation of your movement ability allows you to adjust to the terrain as it closes in on you, and all becomes dark once you reach a small crawlspace at the end of the path.

You duck down and look forward and see a tremendous beast with alluvium and slime dripping from its spiky exterior. This is a creature that feeds on nature and recycles it into energy. It seems quite majestic, and there is something alluring about its crystalline exoskeleton, its purplish hue, and the light it refracts. As you trace the ingoing light to its terminus and back, you find its source in glowing radiant orbs of pure energy. They almost seem alive with the way they routinely encircle the crystal creature at a safe distance.

The creature extends its legs backward and rapiodly meshes them togther into a long snakelike tail, changing its bearlike form to something much more practical for cave exploration. This is a fascinating beast indeed.

>Make no sudden movements. Let it pass before you even consider making another move. {roll 1d20 to not get caught}
>Go back and take the other path. You have no idea what you're getting yourself into.
>You sense a comforting peace in this place. Perhaps you can communicate with the beast... would you like to try? {enter what you'd like to say, or how you'd like to attempt communication. Then roll a 1d20.}
>Only a devil would tempt your senses like this. The beast is strange and possibly violent. Besides, you may be able to take some of its power by defeating it, and power is something you are in dire need of...
+> Sneak up behind the beast and grab hold of its tail. You may be stronger than you realize. {roll 1d20 - 2 to see how this sneaking goes}
+> Surprise attack! Chuck a stone at the beast to get its intention. You may be able to lure it into a trap. {roll 1d20 - 2 to get a square hit on the beast}
+> Wait for an orb to get close to the crawlspace, then nab it. You must *know* more about them.
>Write-in?
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>437916
>>Make no sudden movements. Let it pass before you even consider making another move. {roll 1d20 to not get caught}
+> Wait for an orb to get close to the crawlspace, then nab it. You must *know* more about them.
>>
Rolled 19 (1d20)

>>437916
>Make no sudden movements. Let it pass before you even consider making another move. {roll 1d20 to not get caught}
>>
>>437934
>>437946
Writing.
>>
>>437934
>>437946
>>437951

>Don't make any sudden movements. Let it pass before you even consider making another move.

19. Success.

You have come to *know* through experience that recklessly thrusting oneself into danger is never a good plan. You find yourself more interested in the strange orbs that follow the beast wherever it goes.

Upon closer inspection, you find that there are about eight orbs in all, each one with a slightly different hue. They fluctuate in size each time the beast makes a movement in any direction; sometimes they expand momentarily, sometimes they shrink. You decide to take one for experimentation.

> Wait for an orb to get close to the crawlspace, then nab it. You must *know* more about them.

As the creature begins tunneling deeper underground, its orbs spread out more and more. This gives you ample opportunity to steal one, so you reach out and grab the nearest orb.

The ball of light writhes in your grasp. You try to concentrate on the device as you hold it down, but it nearly blinds you with a few defensive flashes in your direction. They must be living creatures.

You come to *know* that these orbs are nothing like the essences one may come across in Limbo. It feels very tangible and authentic, as though it was created for practical purpose rather than to satisfy a chaotic plane's inexplicable desire to create and destroy things at random. This place is nothing you've experienced in your life... or is it? Perhaps it's too early to assume. You're still racking your mind for some hints about the past, or what led you here.

The beast tunnels off and the orb flickers on and off, until it eventually dies in your grasp. A screech of pain echoes through the lair.

The ground rumbles below you...

>Run back and down the other path!
>Attempt to apologize for disturbing the crystal beast's orb. Would you like to yell this into the ground, in hopes that the beast will care (or even understand you?)
>You must accept the consequences of your actions. Hopefully the beast will understand if you surrender.
>There is only one way to deal with this. Ready your fist and time a jump. On the way down, you'll try to take it by surprise. {roll 1d20 - 3 to attempt a timed haymaker.}
>Squeeze through the crawlspace and run into the lair, out of the beast's reach. {roll 1d20 to see how long it takes you to do this.}

Be right back, gotta cook dinner.
>>
>>437994
>Attempt to apologize for disturbing the crystal beast's orb. Would you like to yell this into the ground, in hopes that the beast will care (or even understand you?)

Shout off a hurried but heartfelt apology explaining that we didn't realize that they were connected so strongly to the beast and that we will remember this orb and the crystal creature and honor it's memory.
>>
>>438008
Sounds fine, supporting
>>
>>438008
>>438057
Writing now!
>>
File: gemdwarf.jpg (67KB, 564x864px) Image search: [Google]
gemdwarf.jpg
67KB, 564x864px
>>438008
>>438057

You clamber to your feet. In your haste, you nearly scrape your head on a stalagtite. Good thing you didn't; that head has taken plenty of punishment already.

Beginning with a clumsy, unbalanced stride, a thought speeds into your mind like a crossbow bolt. A memory.

You *know* that this is not your first time running, and it will certainly not be your last. You chased your ward across stepping stones formed through his own will. You did not stumble, and he did not use this opportunity to wrest a stone from your grip when you nearly fell to your death. Surely he is not beyond saving.

"The blame is mine, and mine only!" you begin in a shout, setting your throat aflame in the process. You must not have used your voice for days, weeks, or even months.

The ground continues to rumble as you set off for the path to your right. Your awkward run graduates once more, and you re-learn your ability to sprint. Good timing.

The rumbling grows faint as you make it to the end of the path. The faint light and whispers from before become more noticeable as you continue down this path.

At the end, you see a man who must be only half your size. A dwarf! you know the name of the species, but you don't recall ever meeting one before.

"Are you a..." begins the weary miner in an inquisitive tone. He seems a little shocked by your appearance, perhaps due to your lack of clothing.

You approach the miner and put a finger to his lips, then look back and continue your apology to the crystal worm as rocks crumble into the path behind. The dwarf seems to be shaking in fear.

"I did not *know* your nature, beast. I must ask you to forgive me for my transgressions -- I had no idea that these orbs were so crucial to your survival." you croak, your voice becoming more hoarse with every word. Speaking may take a while to get used to.

The rumbling stops, for a moment. The dwarf slaps your finger out of the way and takes a step back.

"Eh, I'm no coward, but I wouldn't stick around with the abomination about. Me and the wife..." he says, widening his eyes and stopping himself before he says something he regrets. "Well, I'm out here mining, at least."

The path widens to your right. You see wooden structures and scaffolding all around. You must be near a mine shaft.

[pt. 1/2]
>>
>>438318

>"From where do you hail? I do not *know* of this place. It is my will to learn its nature."
>"I will not harm you, nor will I harm your family. It is not in my nature."
>"You are a coward. Your fear of conflict shows itself in your movements."
>"This beast is an abomination? Mayhap we have not seen the same creature."
>"I have angered it. There is no turning back now; will you help me fight it?" {roll 1d20 - 2 to convince}
>Hold back the dwarf and wait for the creature to approach you. You must talk it down. {roll 1d20 + 3 to see what happens}
>Sometimes sacrifices must be made. Throw the dwarf to the floor and sprint off toward the mine shaft. It's well-lit and (more than likely) close to civilization.
>Combine options or write-in.

[pt. 2/2]
>>
>>438321
Forgot to explain that the purpose of throwing the dwarf down is to use him as bait for the crystalline abomination.
>>
Rolled 3 + 3 (1d20 + 3)

>>438321
>"I will not harm you, nor will I harm your family. It is not in my nature."
Hold back the dwarf and wait for the creature to approach you. You must talk it down. {roll 1d20 + 3 to see what happens}

Diplomacy HO!
>>
>>438372

Or rather ... not, please someone else roll to fix this
>>
>>438385
No. You get to live with your mistake.
>>
File: diplomacy.png (27KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
diplomacy.png
27KB, 800x600px
>>438385
You're gonna want a better roll.

If no one else rolls soon, I'll roll another one for ya. I hope people pick up this thread.

Or if you want to live with it, nothing toooooooo horrible should happen to you.
>>
>>438407
This guy votes that you live with the 6. Writing for that now!
>>
>>438475
Hell ya Ima rebel!
>>
>>438385
>>438407

"I will not harm you, nor will I harm your family. Such meaningless acts of violence are not in my nature." you reassure the dwarf, who seems to be holding back his urge to flee. He smiles a little in response, but it doesn't seem to be enough to fully earn his trust; the man backs up and knocks on a crawlspace just behind him. Perhaps these crawlspaces were put there by other dwarves to avoid dangerous creatures in the cave. This would explain a lot.

From the crawlspace, an even smaller dwarf -- a woman -- nervously positions herself just behind the miner.

>Hold back the dwarf and wait for the creature to approach you. You must talk it down.

3 + 3 = 6. Minor roll loss.

You take a deep breath and stand in front of the crowd, awaiting the creature's imminent retribution, or perhaps forgiveness.

In one abrupt motion, the head of the violet beast emerges only a few mere feet away from you. The dwarf and his wife run off, which seems to cause a stir with the creature. Its remaining orbs begin to circle around you, until you feel yourself unable to move.

"WHY DO YOU DISRUPT MY FEEDING? WHERE IS MY WISP?" screeches the beast, its orbs inflicting an intense electrical shock through your system. You drop to your knees, stomach rumbling, and feel yourself retch as they continue to shock you. You're completely immobilized once they're done.

You try to look up at the creature but an invisible weight holds you down, like a metal boot applying pressure to your back.

"WHERE?!" it exclaims, the orbs flaring red with anger. You can hardly see the beast from this angle, but is darker hue can only indicate one thing: it's not pleased.

>What do you say or do? Any further screeching will damage your hearing, and any further damage to your body may kill you. Choose your words/actions wisely.

Don't constrain Irrokozar too much. He may be stronger than you think.
>>
File: crystallineabomination.jpg (167KB, 800x930px) Image search: [Google]
crystallineabomination.jpg
167KB, 800x930px
>>438567
Forgot picture.
>>
>>438567
Start squawking like a duck and hope it doesn't think we're a sentient creature with any reasoning capacity.

That'll save us.
>>
>>438618
You already yelled an apology at it, and it seems to be able to comprehend Common since it's speaking to you in that language right now. You can try something along these lines but it's very unlikely to work.
>>
>>438567

Explain calmly that we have only just arrived and we did not *know* and wanted to *know*. We did our best to not cause harm and refer him to where ever we dropped the Wisp.
>>
>>438633
Supporting this
>>
>>438633
>>438639
Writing now with these responses.

>>438618
Maybe next time we can try this duck-squawk thing! but probably not
>>
File: Arby's_logo.png (39KB, 334x298px) Image search: [Google]
Arby's_logo.png
39KB, 334x298px
>>
File: familiarthrones.jpg (66KB, 704x393px) Image search: [Google]
familiarthrones.jpg
66KB, 704x393px
>Explain calmly that we have only just arrived and we did not *know* and wanted to *know*. We did our best to not cause harm and refer him to wherever we dropped the Wisp.

You attempt to flex your jaw back and forth until it's loose enough to work. The abomination lets up when he notices your attempt to speak, and you feel the orbs glow less vehemently as a result. There's some progress.

In a soft voice, you try to communicate your understanding: "I *know* nothing of this place. It was my will to *know* more about this place, and it was my... incorrect assumption that the wisps were not bound to your self."

The abomination calms its voice, speaking softly as the orbs begin to telekinetically position you upright, to look directly into its eyes. It appears to be smiling as it speaks, although it's quite hard to tell.

"You. I know of the People." says the beast, its gemstone eyes scanning you up and down.

"I know of your vanity. I know of your child, too. I have come to find that your kind are better conversationalists when their mouths are shut."

"My... vanity?" you inquire, genuinely confused. You remember no such thing.

Images of a crown flash before your eyes. You see stacks of books on the Prime Material Plane lining the floor of an ornate throne room. You grab one and begin reading...

"See? Your vanity. I showed you... and I can show you much more. But I won't. My focus is on the dwarves. "

>"Please, tell me more. I can only claim to *know* my past."
>"I would *know* your name, so that you may be honored should we come to blows."
>"What is your interest in the dwarves?"
>"Are you... omnipotent?"
>Don't bother speaking. It can already tell what you're going to say anyway.
>Attempt an attack? The orbs have loosened up enough for you to move, but you may be weak. (name which body part and the nature of your attack and roll 1d20)
>Abscond. Follow the dwarves; never listen to those who may be devils.
>Write-in or combine.

>>438666
Where's the beef?
>>
>>438758
>>"Tell me more. I can only claim to *know* my past."
>>
>>438758
>"Please, tell me more. I can only claim to *know* my past."
>"I would *know* your name, so that you may be honored should we come to blows."

I always liked these people, love the whole search for knowing
>>
And sadly I must sleep, may this quest prosper!
>>
>>438784
>>438788
Will take all these options.

>>438792
Goodnight! Thanks for participating, man.

Hey, I'm gonna take a break for an hour or two. Expect more questing later on. If you'd like to give feedback, discuss options, discuss the story, etc. then be my guest. Will post on my Twitter (check OP) when I'm back!
>>
File: DUERGAR.png (751KB, 1017x853px) Image search: [Google]
DUERGAR.png
751KB, 1017x853px
Next update coming about 12 a.m. CST or so. Thanks to everyone who showed up! Seeya later tonight/early tomorrow morning.
>>
>>438784
>>438788

"Please, tell me more. I can only claim to *know* my past." you ask politely, although your words come out as more of a pleading whimper than an honest request. It doesn't help that your voice is hoarse and gravelly, or that you were nearly roasted from the inside-out.

Despite the physical pain you just endured, your curiosity always gets the better of you. It's the githzerai way, after all.

"Don't make me laugh, because I cannot do so. Why bother having such big ears if they can't even listen properly?" jabs the worm in an insultingly complacent tone. "MY FOCUS IS ON THE DWARVES." he exclaims suddenly, temporarily rendering your ears deaf with tinnitus. When your hearing returns, you make sure to ask your next question with more tact.

"I would *know* your name, so that you may be honored should we come to blows." you say in a more confident tone. Your voice sounds strange and hollow, like your ears are unable to perceive distance.

"Tessolenika. Pray that we do not come to blows." says the beast. "No need to tell me where the dead wisp is; I already read your mind. Never cross paths with me again."

Tessolenika begins to shift in the hole from which it emerged

>"Wait. I must this of you: why did the dwarf refer to you as an abomination?"
>"Wait. I had a brief vision of the Abyss in which I came to *know* that your kind are not to be touched. I would like to know why."
>Githzerai value freedom above nearly all else. Now that you are *free*, why not enact revenge upon the offender for its actions? Grab the creature's tail the second it turns its back and tear off a few small crystal shards to place between your fingers, as a sort of knuckle duster. Then, strike it! {roll 2d20 and choose a location to strike.}
>No need to assault the creature, but maybe you can get away with stealing some shards for a knuckle duster. Close combat seems to be in your nature; why not enhance our fighting chance in case we find something else in the caves?
>Find the dwarf couple. They should lead you to civilization.
>Allow the abomination to leave and begin meditating. {roll 1d20 to see what happens.}
>Write-in or combine two options.

This may be the last update for tonight, getting tired.
>>
>>439389
FUCK woops.

Tessolenika shifts in the hole from which it emerged, and soon dips its head downward to traverse the path it had already dug.

Yep, I'm too tired. Forgot to even finish what I was writing. Sorry!

Goodnight for today, fellas. Hope there are more people tomorrow.
>>
Rolled 15 (1d20)

>>439389
>>Allow the abomination to leave and begin meditating. {roll 1d20 to see what happens.}
after that
>>Find the dwarf couple. They should lead you to civilization.
We are too disoriented and woefully inequipped to deal with such a foe.
>>
>>439389
>>Find the dwarf couple. They should lead you to civilization.
Tessolenika and the dwarves seem to occupy the same space and their interests clash again and again - no wonder they don't like each other...
But the dwarves will surely welcome us as a guest, can't be everyday someone like us visits them.

>>439414
>Goodnight for today
Can't catch it live but I enjoyed reading up on the story! Thank you for writing it!

It sounds like the protagonist is some amnesiac monks from another dimension... Looking forward to his adventures!
>>
>>439598
>>439664
Taking these!
>>439664
Not quite an amnesiac, but you're pretty close on that one.

Anyhoo, writing now.
>>
File: martialstance.jpg (30KB, 250x320px) Image search: [Google]
martialstance.jpg
30KB, 250x320px
>>439976

Satisfied with the encounter -- and the fact that your insides are still functioning as intended -- you decide to take a moment to reflect upon the preceding events.

>Allow the abomination to leave and begin meditating.

15. Roll succeeds.

You start by easing yourself to the floor, but your body seems more prone to collapsing. You come to realize that you may not live past this day. Through reflection, perhaps you will find a way home. Or wherever it is you're supposed to be.

Although burdened by your rage, you are humbled by another attempt on your life when a hurling stone from the ether nearly ends you. You now *know* to step with grace, even when your feet insist upon stomping aimlessly.

That's not the right event, but it's something. Your legs feel invigorated with new energy, and the ability to carry your dying body. You may stumble, but you won't collapse.

New Techniques Learned: Gith Misleading (Foot Stomp) ; Dal'rek Discipline (Leg Takedown)

When used together, the technique is known as Dal'rek Sweeping. You feel as though this has always been *known* to you, but you would not have thought to use it if your vision had not reminded you of its existence.

[pt. 1/2]
>>
File: Blacken.jpg (33KB, 564x676px) Image search: [Google]
Blacken.jpg
33KB, 564x676px
>>440089

>Find the dwarf couple. They should lead you to civilization.

You have wasted enough time here. The dwarf couple have already gone off on their own, but following their trail should be easy. Their steps were heavy; their footprints left with large boots.

You traverse through a mining shaft with still air, whose elevators swivel back and forth and up and down a tremendous, swirling chasm of branching paths. The light from above greets you, but you must reject its enticing offer -- you won't make it much longer without treatment, shelter, and something to eat.

Finally, you reach a rickety bridge of splintered alder wood. Ensuring that your sandaled foot takes on all the unavoidable dangerous spots on the bridge, you make it across with minimal splinters. That would have been the worst of your troubles, however...

Below the bridge is a drop at least a mile long, with any manner of unknown horrors potentially lurking beneath. There must be something more to this area than the dwarf let on. Perhaps it was abandoned long ago, and he wished to take on the creature himself?

After an hour more of traipsing through dark caverns and empty mine shafts near-aimlessly like a lost orphan wandering the streets of Sigil, you see the couple once more. They are seated at the edge of a cliff at the end of a wide tunnel, their eyes focused only on each other. A road of cobblestone paves a narrow road from the cliff, all the way down to the town's level, and forward to its gate. It's a winding path, but it won't be treacherous. You're nearly there.

"Isn't she beautiful?" says the male dwarf, stroking his wife's scraggly braids and looking deeply into her eyes. He must have heard you walk by.

Answer his question:
>"Of course. Her braids are as beautiful as the aether, and the clouds that line the Prime Material."
>"The lights of the town are like torches in Limbo. To think that something so pristine can exist in such a menacing environment... it is amazing."
>"Ach'ali drowning."

Ask a question:
>"Those mines were abandoned. I must *know*: why were their torches still lit?"
>"Why did you retreat?"
>"I must *know* if there is any clothing nearby. I won't survive much longer without it."
>"I must *know* more about the abomination."

Perform an action:
>Head for the town.
>Sit next to the dwarves.
>Search for items. {1d20}

Write-in:
>Write-in or combine options above.
>>
>>440093
>"Isn't she beautiful?"
>>"The lights of the town are like torches in Limbo. To think that something so pristine can exist in such a menacing environment... it is amazing."
We don't want to make him jealous. If we compliment her, she will choose us... and we have other things to do. :)

>"Those mines were abandoned. I must *know*: why were their torches still lit?"
Also: "Let's share food in celebration for meeting." (we don't have any, but dwarves are generous, right?)
>>
>>440093
>>Sit next to the dwarves.
Getting food is easier when in reach to receive it.
>>
>>440093
>>"I must *know* if there is any clothing nearby. And of that abomination."

>>Sit next to the dwarves.
>>
More quest later tonight. Stay tuned!
(sorry, hasn't been much today anyway)
>>
>>441336
Fuck, sorry. I'm gonna run ASAP later this morning. Way too tired now.
>>
>>441336
>>442413
No worries.
When are we going to be *known* as King-under-the-Mountain? :)
>>
File: DwarfWifeCasual.jpg (14KB, 236x318px) Image search: [Google]
DwarfWifeCasual.jpg
14KB, 236x318px
"The lights of the town are like torches in Limbo. To think that something so pristine can exist in such a menacing environment... it is amazing." you say in response to a rather vague question. He turns back and glares at you for a moment with a confused expression.

"Not the anthill, friend. The beaut' right here." he corrects you with a tasteful smirk, his wife blushing and shyly turning her face to the town. "Glad you like our little underground burg, though. We found a way to avoid them slippery folks on the surface by hiring an Earth Wizard to bless our town. They're a cheating bunch, not honest like a good dwarf. No offense to yer kind, elf."

>Sit next to the dwarves.

You approach the couple a with respectful gait and seat yourself, cross-legged, next to the husband, reasoning that you will seem more friendly if you level with them. Most would be unnerved by a mysterious nude "elf" talking down to them.

"Those mines were abandoned. I must *know*: why were their torches still lit?" you inquire bluntly, with minimal accusation. Still, the dwarf seems to take a small degree of offense. You may need to practice speaking when you have the chance, since you clearly do not know enough about dwarven mannerisms.

"Eh, believe me, we were within our right. I, myself, was meant to fight the beast. The wife came along too..." he begins, clearly pondering whether or not he should continue. After a moment of careful thought, he does. "We didn't quite do as we were asked, ya' see. I don't like the soldier types much, and the wife insisted I speak to the beast. Well, can't do that now; seein' as how you provoked it. I don't think it'll be safe to go back now."

You nod, staring blankly at the town ahead for a few idle moments. Perhaps you will make it out alive.

"May we share victuals in celebration for meeting one another? I do not ask in hopes that you will surrender your will for my benefit, I..." the dwarf pauses you with a shake of the head. He reaches into his pouch and produces half a loaf of bread.

"No need to sell me on the idea. You diced up in these parts from the middle of nowhere, an' we don't get your kind often. You could earn some good pay in the town grabbing items off bookshelves for those who can't reach." he says seriously. You raise an eyebrow in slight confusion, until the dwarf lets out a chuckle. It was a joke.

He produces a half-loaf of bread from a leather pouch on his back and places it in your outstretched hand. You thank him and consider eating later -- you don't yet know whether or not these people have refined eating manners or not.

[pt. 1/2]
>>
>>442893

Dwarf:
>"I would like to *know* more about the abomination.
>"Who are these... slippery folks you speak of? Do they happen to have the consistency of a slime beast?"
>"I apologize. Your wife is quite aesthetically pleasing."
>"I am not an elf. Have you heard the story of 'the People?' I knew it for a time."
>"Thank you for the food. I have none to give myself, but I will repay you later."

Path:
>Get going.
>Stay here and continue talking.
>Look for traps. You're too close to a shot at survival to let your guard down now.

Bread:
>Eat it now.
>Thank the dwarf and head off, eating the bread on the way to the town.
>Eat the bread later, when you're in town.

>>Combine options or write-in.

[pt. 2/2]

>>442631
It'll take some time, definitely. Only a section of the quest will take place underground.
>>
>>442895
>>Stay here and continue talking.
>>"I would like to *know* more about the abomination.
>>"I am not an elf. Have you heard the story of 'the People?' I knew it for a time."
>>"Thank you for the food. I have none to give myself, but I will repay you later."
>>Eat it now, but slowly there is no hurry yet.
>>
>>442899

>Stay here and continue talking.

Rather than leave the dwarves to their romantic moment, you decide to stick around and continue talking. They don't seem to mind.

"I would like to *know* more about the abomination. Why did you wish to speak to it? You told me you were a miner, earlier."

"Aye, and I hope you don't take offense to the fib. I was taken off-guard by ya'."

"But what of the abomination? "

"I don't know much about it, but the wife says she does--" he taps his wife, who seems to be staring off into the distance, on the shoulder. "Dear?"

"Oh. Karakzuul." she utters, annunciating each syllable deliberately as though she is teaching you how to read the word. You look into her eyes, but she turns away and refuses to say anymore. You may have upset her by disturbing it with your presence.

"I am not an elf. Have you heard the story of 'the People?' I knew it for a time." you correct the dwarf politely.

"Can't say I have, but I'm not too interested in hearing it."

"That is good. I don't remember it anymore." you respond with a friendly grin.

You thank the dwarf for the food and pledge to pay him back when you have the chance, but he shrugs it off. "Plenty of debts already, too much to keep track of. Don't worry about it." he says.

>Eat it now, but slowly. There is no hurry yet.

You eat slowly, passing a few more minutes with idle conversation. You learn that his name is Leifrin, his wife's "name" is Angel, and he's a Gem Professor (whatever that is) of a college in Blacken. He says Blacken is the town ahead, and everybody there lives peacefully.

Hopefully that's true.

>Write-in anything else you'd like to ask/discuss, invite him to join your party, wait here, or head to town. Or don't. I don't like railroading; whatever can be accomplished by taking a particular path can be accomplished in some other way later on. I don't mind if you continue exploring.
>>
>>442930
"Are there many elves around?" He thought we were an elf, so maybe they rarely ever have contact with them? Or it's like an insult?
"Maybe you can some more bread for the road?" We're still hungry, om nom nom.

Then head into town. We're an explorer now!
>>
>>442930
And try not looking at the wife's breasts, wouldn't do to anger her husband.
>>
File: lotusabomination.jpg (113KB, 900x658px) Image search: [Google]
lotusabomination.jpg
113KB, 900x658px
This quest has been moving along quite slowly but I fully intend on keeping it running. I'll try to churn out some quick updates tomorrow morning and maintain a somewhat steady quest schedule.

Unfortunately, my IRL schedule is fairly... well, inconsistent. I'll do what I can!

Would you prefer:

>Shorter updates with less detail but faster upload speed and overall better flow?
>No change, keep it like it is?
>Longer updates with more detail but slower upload speed?

Honestly, I'm probably the world's slowest writer. I think this quest would benefit greatly from some brevity, or perhaps better focus. Let me know!

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far. One way or another, I'm gonna get this thing kicked off.
>>
>>444781
>No change, keep it like it is
you're not the word's slowest writer, that's a title reserved for soma, keep up the good work, enjoying the quest thus far
>>
>>444781
I look at Melancholy quest and see one or two updates per day (announced on Twitter) - seems to work out...
And qst/ works for non-speedy threads.
>>
>>444982
Alright, sounds good. Glad you're enjoying it!

>>445252
I could certainly do something like that. Appreciate the input! I'll try to announce on Twitter before I post.

New update coming soon.
>>
File: undergroundpaths.jpg (101KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
undergroundpaths.jpg
101KB, 800x500px
>>443057
>>443061

"Have you seen many elves in this place?" you ask. Leifrin shakes his head, remaining silent for a moment before further explaining his assumption.

"Eh, I've heard of 'em. Most people in the village've never seen one, 'cept for Dokkout. He just loves the skinny tree-fellers. I don't, and most dwarves don't. They eat their own babes, y'know?"

As far-fetched as that sounds, you're willing to believe it considering the immorality of the plane from which you came. You may not remember much, but the taint of the Abyss is something you never quite shake.

"If it is of no trouble to you..." you start, but Leifrin already knows what you're going to ask for. The dwarf just sighs and produces a couple more slices of bread from his pack and hands them to you.

"Normally I'd be upset with someone pleadin' like that, but you seem like you could use it," he eyes you over for a moment. "and some clothes, if ya' will. 'Sides, the people in town probably won't care nearly as much as me and the wife do. Go on, get in there and eat something. And watch out for the juveniles; they're a tad caught up in the stories about elves and may mistake ya' for one."

Inventory -
3 stones
1/3 loaf and 2 slices of bread (some consumed by MC)

You shuffle in place awkwardly for a moment and scour your mind for a proper farewell, but turn up a few blanks. You decide to just say the first idiom that comes to mind.

"Zerthimon sowing." you say, rising to your feet. Leifrin sighs and extends his arm. You shake his hand -- this seems to be a more appropriate farewell in whatever world you're in. Good thing, too, since you don't even know what that idiom means anymore.

"Don't say stuff like that around town. They'll think ya' the most elfy person in the caves." he warns.

You cradle the remaining bread in your arms set off for town on the cobblestone path ahead. You don't have a clue of what may await you there.

[pt. 1/2]
>>
File: thegate.jpg (69KB, 534x470px) Image search: [Google]
thegate.jpg
69KB, 534x470px
>>445437

You find yourself at the city gates, where dwarven youth carelessly scamper around on the walls above. Despite the lack of proper ramparts, (besides a few clumps of cobblestone here and there) the kids seem to be perfectly fine straddling the edge of the the twenty-foot barrier. The construction appears to be fine enough, and structurally sound, but the lack of parental supervision could be considered negligible at best.

Just in time, a young maid walks along the edge of the wall and snags a little girl before she aimlessly dips her head into a torch sconce on one of the towers. Dwarven children seem to be as foolish as they are brave.

The dwarven maid, in the process of wrangling the child into the safe warmth of her grasp, spots you. She doesn't look happy to see you, either -- "terrified" would be a more accurate word to describe the expression lining her face. She cradles the child and takes off down the opposite side of the wall in a guard tower. You hear a few shouts of protest from what you assume are sentries in the tower, and a moment of heated argument. You don't hear anything else from the tower.

You approach the town gate and run your fingers along it. Appearing to be little more than an oversized wooden door at first glance, you come to *know* that the reality is so much more. There are far too many subtle rivets and latches, and an unprecedented thickness. Just as you presumed they would, the dwarves are great craftsmen.

In a flash, your head is assaulted from behind with a hard metal object. You're all but unconscious now, lying splayed out on the floor, your head to the cobblestone. You seem to have lost some of the perceptive abilities that your kind tend to value.

"Take 'im... questioning." says the disembodied voice of a man. He must've been the one who clobbered you.

"No, kill 'im! He eyed little Rosie! I know what them elves... not gonna let... my baby!"

Their voices are fading in and out with the same rhythm as your head's pulsing. You spit out a little and turn onto your back. How have you not died yet?

Two black figures, one with what looks like a rolling pin, one with what looks like a baton.

Soon, four black figures. They have double-headed axes in their hands. They seem to be wearing armor of some kind.

Your will to live does not falter. You can still do something!

[pt. 2/3]
>>
>>445440

>"I do not... *know* how I came to be in this strange world."
>"I am no elf."
>"Wait. I do not... *know* who Rosie is."
>Return to your feet to intimidate them. This will take a ton of your strength, but the move may succeed in making them think you're more dangerous than you are. {roll 1d20 - 1 to try to stand with poor coordination and strength}
>Kick one of them in the leg with the intention of bringing him onto your chest as a shield. Dwarves may make for decent shields. {roll 1d20 - 3 to see how this goes. Choose someone to kick! (an axeman, the woman, or the baton man)}
>Wait for help. {roll 1d20 to see if anyone protests this unnecessary use of force. Need 16 to pass.}
>Let them do what they will. It's not worth fighting.
>Write-in? You can't combine options this time.

[pt. 3/3]
>>
Rolled 18 - 1 (1d20 - 1)

>>445444
I've been lurking, I'll roll sence it seems nobody is playing.
>>
Rolled 6 (1d20)

>>445444
>>Wait for help. {roll 1d20 to see if anyone protests this unnecessary use of force. Need 16 to pass.}
>>
>>445444
>"I am no elf."
Better make sure they dont lynch us because we eat babies.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.