[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quest Thread General /qtg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 796
Thread images: 95

File: QTG.jpg (6KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
QTG.jpg
6KB, 250x250px
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QM's.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/x6BqaJ7r
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you are a QM, simply post your Twitter here to have it added to the directory. Spamming your quest twitter with non-quest related tweets may result in its removal from the directory.

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics and politics)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anime)

Discord (let's see how it goes):
https://discord.gg/0zE5SDpEB4RQRNyY
>QM question:
Are you considering switching to /qst/ from where you usually run? Have you already? Or have its creation given you an idea of going elsewhere?

>Player question:
How do you like this board and its quests so far?
>>
File: 1354237059761.jpg (197KB, 732x583px) Image search: [Google]
1354237059761.jpg
197KB, 732x583px
>>42843
I just want to say that I'm still happy that this board exists, and that it's a positive direction for questing on 4chan.
>>
File: 1.png (203KB, 907x755px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
203KB, 907x755px
>>42923
Agreed
>>
File: 1419800701979.jpg (29KB, 498x303px) Image search: [Google]
1419800701979.jpg
29KB, 498x303px
>>42923
>>42965
It's pretty neat and there's fun to be had.
>>
Seems to be picking up allot.
>>
I wanna do a quest where I invent a card game and you go around a city collecting cards and battling people as you go along but I'm not sure if I should and if people'd like it
>>
Forgot to add ReviewAnon's pastebin to the OP-post. Here:
http://pastebin.com/u/QuestReviews

I wonder if he will appear this week.
>>
File: 1449026072738.gif (19KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
1449026072738.gif
19KB, 500x332px
>>42923
>>42965
>>43024
>[Insert rage-induced post here]
>>
Would a Mad Libs-type thing be considered a quest? It's kinda iffy since it's hard to call it "collaborative storytelling" when you're really just waiting for the end result, but it's got the same kind of audience interaction of a regular quest, and I can't think of an alternative board to put it on.
>>
>>42923
>>42965
I just want to say that falseflagging won't help your argument. It's still a pointless change to a small community, and the relative inactivity should be enough proof that it's a bad idea.

But that stuff goes to the feedback thread. This thread is for quests.
>>
So I have this quest idea about an Alternative History quest where the Teutonic Order won the battle of Grundwald against the Polish-Lithuania union and you follow the journey of a Teutonic Knight and his companions through history, with the different plot arcs happening in different years, has their own plot, but is connected to each other.

Experience historical events that both happened and didn't happen in this Alternative History Quest.
>>
Couldn't you wait until Friday to post this? The weekend quest Discussion Thread will fall off by Thursday night so this thread is superfluous.
>>
Was the Discord chat just made today?
>>
>>43329
Yes.
>>
Should i do a quest about a little girl trying to scape from home or trying to survive the apocalypse
>>
>>43335
Neat, thank God it's not a skype group. I finally managed to convince most of my friends to migrate a month ago. Haven't looked back.
>>
File: E_britannia_coa.png (31KB, 141x148px) Image search: [Google]
E_britannia_coa.png
31KB, 141x148px
>>43317

That reminds, right now I am playing a CKII game where the Scottish House of Britannia, originally the House of Mac Comgall, rule over the Empire of Britannia, which stretches from Iceland to India.

They have recently easily annihilated a jihad for Sicily.

The levies are around 150000 in total.

I could really run a quest based off it. Indeed, I have screenshotted almost every decision in the game.

So, ALL HAIL BRITANNIA?
>>
>>42843

If the population continues to pick up, I think questing here will be better than /tg/'s.

I played in quests there (and even ran a few, once or twice) for years but the community started to get pretty close-minded and toxic, especially in anime-based quests.

Quests on this board have already been more creative than Anime Harem Quest #634436 and that's a step in the right direction.
>>
>>43426
If you ran it as a quest, and used the screenshot decisions, wouldn't they be worthless because the readers are gonna throw everything off the rails?

Unless you mean that you're just gonna use it as a setting, in which case ALL HAIL BRITANNIA
>>
Do you find appropriate art or do you make your own art for quests, /qtg/?
>>
>>43770
Mine's been almost entirely text with just a photo in the OP, but my next one I intend to do all the art for each update.
>>
>QM question

I'm considering it, though I haven't decided yet. I like my audience on /tg/ and I'm not sure all of them would follow me over if I did run here. I've decided to adopt something of a wait and see position.
>>
>>43770
I typically do my best to find appropriate and mostly consistent art for various characters, gear, and established locations.
>>
>>43770
Combination of finding art and attracting talented drawfriends.
>>
>>43074
I actually had a similar idea, and was thinking of trying to get it started today. Would you mind terribly if I did that?

>>43458
Agreed 100%. I was one of the people who thought moving quests to their own board seemed unnecessary, but in just the past few days, I've seen better and more interesting quests than I've seen on tg in a long time.
>>
>>43994

I wouldn't mind, go ahead, I'll just keep working on my thing in the background. Have fun.
>>
File: vbhwh.gif (644KB, 536x536px) Image search: [Google]
vbhwh.gif
644KB, 536x536px
>>43994
>>43074
How exactly would you do that?
>>
We need pictures! Pictures of QM-tans!
>>
File: planefag.png (80KB, 527x617px) Image search: [Google]
planefag.png
80KB, 527x617px
>>44111
>>
>>43317
This would be waaaaaay better of a question to ask in /his/. Not here.

In fact, that's basically a /his/ quest to the bone. Maybe you can drum up players there with this pitch.
>>
>>44125
That's not Fap Angel.
>>
>>44144
Why would I run a quest on /his/ when there's /qst/ and /tg/?
>>
>>44111
https://warosu.org/tg/thread/28807520#p28812949
Here's where they were originally posted
>>
>>44172
Critique from "experts"?
>>
>>44172

No, I mean make a thread on /his/ asking that question, like how would history be altered. Explain it's for a quest, and maybe link the quest there for players when you get the writing and everything finalized.
>>
>>44200
I was just checking if there was an interest in such a quest, not how it would alter history. Thanks for your concern though.
>>
>>44231
Oh.

Sorry, I mis-read your post.

I would still make a thread on /his/, because that would be your target audience.
>>
>>42843
>QM question

I plan on running on /qst/ for the duration of the trial, but I am keeping an eye on participation. So far, the results have been fairly positive on my end.

>Player question
Things have definitely improved over the last few days. A lot of the quests that flooded the board at first were just a premise with WAT DO attached to it, but we're starting to get more developed ideas. There are a few that caught my attention, but I don't know if I'll follow them yet.
>>
If I want to become a QM, how strict should I be to my participants? What if some of them makes stuffs outside the current settings, and it wont really make sense if I tried to jam it in the game anyway? Should an instant "Dont be a fag" reply enough?
>>
Does anyone actually read the stuff in the pastebin? What do you guys think of making a few pages on 1d4chan and linking to them from a sticky on /qst/? So that we can have updated information (like maybe a "currently active quest" directory?) and protips for new authors or people looking to improve. No way it'll fit into a regular sticky. We've got a ton of experience from years of questing on /tg/ and this is like the one time it can all be useful but all the pastebins are outdated and nobody can edit them. I've heard wiki vandalism was a problem but I can babysit them and revert troll edits.
>>
>>44378
Maybe not in those exact words
>>
>>44378
Depends on the quest and the tone. I'm generally pretty lax, but I also don't run particularly srs bsnss quests. Some people are a lot stricter. Generally, though, unless there's an overwhelming majority that demands a response, if someone gives a response that's basically nonsensical you can just ignore it.
>>
How does one roll and trip? I checked the faq and still couldnt figure it out.
>>
>>44378
>how strict should I be to my participants?
However strict you want. You're in charge.

>What if some of them makes stuffs outside the current settings, and it wont really make sense if I tried to jam it in the game anyway?
Don't add it if you don't want it. Some people just want to be disruptive and you're under no obligation to be disrupted by them.

>Should an instant "Dont be a fag" reply enough?
Try explaining why it doesn't fit. If the suggestion is obviously stupid like "kill ourselves" then don't even bother replying. Ignore it and pay attention to the people who actually care to participate constructively.
>>
>>44428
Don't be a fag.
>>
>>44378
>? What if some of them makes stuffs outside the current settings, and it wont really make sense if I tried to jam it in the game anyway?
I can't speak for how strict you want to be, because it depends on the writer and how you want your setting to be.

But do not let them do this. Do not let them try to add onto your canon. Your canon is your canon. Maybe 'don't be a fag' is strong, but just let them know that your story is your story and anything else is just fanon.

The reason it's important to establish this is because of a quest a long time ago that I remember, there was this guy named 'Fluff bringer' who would add this mary-sue fanfiction in-thread about a fanfiction character.

Eventually, it was included by the QM. Heads rolled, it wasn't the best written stuff to begin with, it conflicted with everything. Quest died soon after.
>>
>>44428
Trip goes in the name field. Rolls go in the options field.
>>
>>44409
I see. I still need to reply to them, tho. Since as far as im concerned, unless they are visibly noticed, memegamers will continue to spout unrelated things
>>
>>44443
AI Quest finished, famalama. Unless he did that in some other quest as well.

>>44428
How2Tripcode: In the "name" field enter Name#Password. You'll get a tripcode based off your password, but Name will still be what you wrote.

How2Roll: In the options field write roll+2d6 and change the 2 and 6 to be whatever you want.
>>
>>44462
>AI Quest finished
Huh, I was under the impression that it withered and died soon after that.
>>
>>44456
>memegamers
?????
Putting that aside giving attention to people who are begging for attention is something you shouldn't do.
>>
>>44468
I didn't quite like the ending to be honest senpai, but it was certainly an ending.
>>
>>44391
>currently active quest directory

Good luck with that. Someone tried that before and gave up after a couple weeks. It's a massive pain to manually deal with it. That's why the twitter directory exists.
>>
>>44462
>>44452
Thanks guys. Sorry for new faggotry but this looks like a fun board.
>>
>>44745
Ok so i figured out the trip and now am just fucking up the roll.
>>
File: 5-2-2016 4-07-06 PM.png (4KB, 315x132px) Image search: [Google]
5-2-2016 4-07-06 PM.png
4KB, 315x132px
Rolled 6, 10, 18, 18, 8, 12, 17, 19, 11, 11, 4 = 134 (11d20)

>>44781
Like this, dummy.
>>
>Himehorns
WHAT ARE THESE
WHERE ARE THEY FROM
and I'd ask why they're so damn cute but I know that already
>>
>>44820
We need an in depth, step-by-step how to dice (with pictures) in the rules.
>>
Rolled 54 (1d100)

>>44820
Like this? That other guy lied if this works.
>>
File: omedetou.gif (223KB, 500x369px) Image search: [Google]
omedetou.gif
223KB, 500x369px
>>44909
Congratulations!
>>
>>44820

>>44909 is me. Thank you friend.
>>
>>44954
We could tell.
>>
Thread IDs are going to make shitposting difficult.
>>
Hey, if anyone that follows my quest is out there...

If I were to get some free time in the coming week, would you prefer that I continue HMQ on /tg/ (that isn't debatable, it's staying on /tg/ until the move becomes official, I don't want to split the archives for no reason if this board goes down) or that I do a short quest here to test the board and provide feedback?

The test thread would probably be a Homeless Mutant Side Quest (Joyce probably, or Typhon) or that Estate Quest I kicked around ages ago.
>>
>>45386
You don't want to know how many times I stopped myself from shitposting last thread because I posted other 'identifying' things first.
>>
>>45386
No, it will make samefagging difficult. There's a difference.

You can change your ID with an IP addy change, but you don't change the Poster Count when you do, so it quickly becomes obvious when someone is samefagging.

The shitposting....well, look at all the "people rele3ived quests are gone forever" posts that have different IDs while the poster count remains the same.

Pretty easy to shitpost all you want, apparently.
>>
>>45399
Somehow, even when asking for mild opinions, you manage to create difficult choices.

Estate Quest!
>>
>>45450
>You can change your ID with an IP addy change, but you don't change the Poster Count when you do

How exactly does that work? I assume it's just a cookie, which means people can reset their browser and their IP and be completely fine.
>>
Rolled 2, 648, 101, 439, 136, 32 = 1358 (6d666)

>>
>>44443
>But do not let them do this. Do not let them try to add onto your canon. Your canon is your canon. Maybe 'don't be a fag' is strong, but just let them know that your story is your story and anything else is just fanon.
>The reason it's important to establish this is because of a quest a long time ago that I remember, there was this guy named 'Fluff bringer' who would add this mary-sue fanfiction in-thread about a fanfiction character.

MGNQ's writefags "adding to canon" comes to mind as well as the required writefag additional readings for planefag's KCQ as a result.
>>
>>45467
That just changes most of your IP address. The part of your IP address that is given to you by your internet provider doesn't change, which is what the power counter and unique IP counter of 4chanX counts.
>>
Rolled 2 (1d20)

>>
File: where the fuck is that convoy.gif (47KB, 550x630px) Image search: [Google]
where the fuck is that convoy.gif
47KB, 550x630px
So I've been spitballing the idea of running a quest for a while now, but I have no Idea what to write about. Thus far I've got a couple of basic ideas that I want to try out that I want you guys to give me feedback on. At this moment nothing is concrete and everything can change:
==================================
>Post-apocalyptic tank quest.
Basically, the bombs dropped and now people do battle in tanks in the radioactive wastelands. This is about as far as I've got with planning for it.
----------------
>Insurgent quest.
This could range form government oppression to X-COM to plain old "you are the terrorist". Once again, no concrete ideas on this one.
----------------
>Jet pilot quest
As the name implies, you fly a jet. Possible inclusion of strike witches.
----------------
>Strike Witches style quest.
This one goes straight for strike witches as a source rather than a subsidiary feature.
Things such as setting, combat theatre and characters are not being planned at the current time because I don' have a solid idea on what I'm going to do.
>>
>>45809

/tg/ has trained me to hate strike witches in all forms. Laziest questing possible, honestly.

I'd play your first two quests though.
>>
>>45873
What about the 3rd option if I dropped the potential Witches?
>>
>>45893

Sure, I'd try it out. Don't let me speak for /qst/ though, I have no idea what will be successful here.
>>
>>45809
I'd be interested in post-apocalyptic tanks. Maybe the tanks are NBC proof and designed to be soldiers' homes away from home as they fight on a massive radioactive stretch of land.

From there, you can focus on the claustrophobic atmosphere of the tank's insides, reinforced by how the outside is completely deadly.

As for plotting, unless you have an overarching plot, I easily see it becoming a Generation Kill-esque slice of life quest. And then the quest's success is dependent on your character writing.
>>
>>42843
This board is heaps fun so far. These links are good too, will this be a sticky?
>>
>>45941
Sounds good. The only real point for me trying the Strike Witches angle was because this is a new board and could potentially attract new people who have not been part of the previous quests on /tg/. The idea being that it could explore different ideas or perspectives, but I digress. More people are interested in other ideas so I'll focus on those.
>>45964
The Idea I was going for was that there are small patches of land which either suffered minimal radiation exposure or are otherwise habitable. Meanwhile bands of roaming marauders drive around the wastes in mad max style groups. Tech levels would be somewhere around 1960s-90s with tanks having varying capabilities, crew sizes, etc.
>>
File: axe-cop-hero.png (259KB, 670x360px) Image search: [Google]
axe-cop-hero.png
259KB, 670x360px
I am incredibly, incredibly motivated to do a Paladin's P.D quest. I do not however have much time, so I need to find a good day of the week to run this shit. Whaddaya guys think?
>>
>>45809
>>Post-apocalyptic tank quest.
>Basically, the bombs dropped and now people do battle in tanks in the radioactive wastelands. This is about as far as I've got with planning for it.

So, STALKER/ Metro style with tanks? I'd play that.
>>
>>46087
I would totally play it.
>>
>>46062
>Mad Max with tanks
This raises so many questions of logistics, maintenance, fuel and ammunition. Unless you're gonna go for something cartoony, taking more realistic concerns into account would make people wonder how bandits manage to get and use working tanks all the time.

That said, I'd be down with whatever you're gonna do because it's goddamn tanks
>>
>wanna /quest/ with colored drawings
>take for fucking ever to draw
How boring/tedious would it be as a participant to wait 2 hours for every update?
>>
>>46163
Pretty tedious, remember that you probably have a limited time with 2 hour updates for yourself and the audience.
>>
>>46163
45 minutes if pretty hard on your readers, speaking as someone with that time between posts. I'm also pretty verbose though, and I don't do much prewriting, because it's not really feasible with my quests.
>>
>>46089
Pretty much, old subway stations would be kinda like mini stopoff points.
>>46156
>how bandits manage to get and use working tanks all the time
Bandits don't ALWAYS have tanks. Mostly they're guys in slap-dash hazmat suits riding around in open top jeeps with explosive spears. Some of the more well equipped bandit groups might have a few ramshackle T-34s but they are rare in bandit hands. You might occasionally find one ruthless bandit with a T-60 and the old crew chained to the hull.
>>
>>46203
Soma finish your essays and pass college.
>>
How popular would a quest where there's deep lore, custom map, a lot of character customization, fantasy based, holds up to 5 players, turned base, and basically just interact with the world be?
>>
Rolled 3 (1d6)

Testing
>>
>>46326
>holds up to 5 players
Not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean that you'd basically just be playing a tabletop game on 4chan?
>>
>>46326
Sounds more like a hassle. At that point it might as well be a regular game with a GM, no?
>>
>>46326
>holds up to 5 players, turned base
And suddenly it's not a Quest anymore, but a forum roleplay.
>>
>>46356
5 people at a time can make their own character and do what they please with stats, character backgrounds, etc
>>
>>46245
I am not Soma, sorry.
>>
>>46378
Noted, so would allowing /qst/ create one character (with the stats and everything, of course) to guide be better instead?
>>
>>46415
It would be a step in the right direction.
>>
Sheit guys, after all this time can we all still agree that yuri is an abomination and quests get worse with them?
>>
>>46431
What's the ideal basis for a quest, then?
>>
>>46439
A solid idea, a dedicated QM and an involved fanbase. That's about it.
>>
>>46438
Only if you can agree that having a female MC doesn't automatically make the quest yuri.
>>
>>46462
No.
>>
>>46415

That's the usual format, at least.

A word of advice though - character creation in questing is notoriously tricky. Some fucker will ALWAYS demand to be a futanari and try to turn your quest into poorly written erotica. Just ignore him and move on
>>
>>46453
I've got two of those and the end goal is getting an involved fan base
>>
>>46438
I'm not going to REEEE at a yuri pairing, even if it's with the MC as long as it isn't forced as fuck.

But if yuri is everyfuckingwhere for no real reason, then yeah that quest can go to hell.
>>
>>46472
I was thinking of making it very specific to avoid such things by making only male and female options for gender and other things to rule out people trying to ruin it, and ignore shitposts
>>
>>46495
>gender choice
And just like that, 50% of your potential playerbase, gone with the wind.
>>
So let's talk speed, how long do expect a QM post after a previous one? sometimes it feels like it ages to see a simple outcome or progress the development
>>
>>46462

I've been questing on /tg/ I'm and off for almost six years. I would say that I have easily seen hundreds of female MCs in hundreds of quests, and I can think of only one quest that did not become purely focused on lesbians, fucking, or trying to fuck lesbians. One.
>>
File: Krys.jpg (24KB, 189x386px) Image search: [Google]
Krys.jpg
24KB, 189x386px
>>43074
I wouldn't mind something based on an existing but dead card game, like Chaotic.
>>
>>46495
Just roll a dice for gender. It'll save everybody the trouble.
>>
>>46510
What's the problem with gender choice then?
>>
>>46510

Picking a male MC avoids 90% of your problems immediately.

The players who demand yuri and female MCs are not the people you want in your thread
>>
>>46513
Ego's princes guard quest ripoff?
>>
File: ork boss going hold up.jpg (479KB, 1250x1126px) Image search: [Google]
ork boss going hold up.jpg
479KB, 1250x1126px
>>46513
MerCommand's Ace Combat Quest had a female MC in a squadron with three other women, and the readers immediately jumped on the husbando train
>>
>>46513
>Hellborn
>Ace Combat
>Devil Summoner (Hell that had a lez NPC pining for the MC, but the players turned her down.)
>DB Tuffle

So that's 4 on the top of my head in my limited questing experience.

I think you might be talking out your ass.
>>
>>46513
I always laugh when ,during character creation, you get a loli,futa, or futaloli.
>>
Oh god are we really having this again?
>>
>>46326
Well I'd wager you'd have something like 5 players.
>>
>>46570
QQ5dBh5c is triggered by Female MCs
>>
>>46438
Not really. My players enjoy it.
>>
>>46567
There is a quest running that has a hermaphrodite MC.

The players don't know it.
>>
>>46620
Is that the soldier of misfortune quest? Because I'm pretty sure that the QM said no.
>>
What would you lads think of a gauntlet-type quest? Where the QM throws a series of challenges at the player that ultimately ends with the player winning or losing?
>>
>>46667
Nope.
>>
>>46688
Questers from /tg/ hate failure, and it's worse everywhere else (Akun is infamous for players trying to metagame the quest so hard that failure cannot be an option, and your quest explodes if they still fail).
>>
>>46620
50% Human?
>>
Another question, how much time would you recommend to allocate a quest day?
>>
>>46881

Depends on the quest - QMs seem to be either NEETs with a lot of free time and 12 hour runtimes three times a week, or students who have to get a lot done in 3 to 4 hours once a week.

I've seen both be successful, the most important thing is communicating your schedule clearly so that your players know when to show up. Most /tg/ quests have a Twitter for this purpose
>>
>>46881
As a rule, I devote an entire day to Questing because unless you want to be stuck in a crawl in terms of plot, you have to run at least 6-7 hours-ish.

That's just the way I do it though.
>>
File: Captain America - Shield.jpg (184KB, 1702x630px) Image search: [Google]
Captain America - Shield.jpg
184KB, 1702x630px
I'm contemplating running either a Captain America or Spider-Man quest. I'm wondering, if I were to do so, what would some good story arcs be to adapt or look to for inspiration?
>>
>>46946
How serious do you want it? Silver or dark age?
>>
>>46976
Not total grimdarkedness, but I tend to prefer more modern stories (or at least tellings of classic stories in a more modern way).
>>
Goddamn, what is it about the idea of a female MC that these generals just can't handle? It was like that on /tg/ too, all proclamations of cancer and doom. A mature QM can and should write whatever character they damn well feel like. Fuck, my quest's MC is bi and in a stable poly relationship and there's been no problems to date.
>>
>>43994
Upon trying to work out how to make a fake card game that wouldn't be a chore to play in a quest, I have determined that I am not as motivated to run this as I first thought.
>>
>>47029
Vox?
>>
>>47029
>these generals
It was like two people man, you can check the IDs now. Stop reviving dead arguments.
>>
>>47029
Anything not featuring a straight, white male is "SJW cuckery".
>>
>>46326
>bi
>poly relationship
Wew it's like you WANT to be a degenerate cuck
>>
>>47065
Why are you linking that guy?
>>
>>47065
Meant for >>47029
>>
>>47045
It came up constantly on the /tg/ generals.
>>
>>46918
>>46926
Good advice all around. Going full NEET next week, so I'll be giving quest running a try at some point, I'm sure.
>>
Can we keep QTG here? User IDs make these so much better.
>>
>>47029
Qyubey?
>>
>>47124

Agree 100%. IDs seem to be preventing a lot of samefagging and shitposting in general.
>>
>>47124
Agreed. It eliminates the constant accusations of samefagging that happen on basically every other board, and it's nice to have that not be an issue.
>>
>>42843
Meta-threads are against the rules. I'm not saying it's a good rule, but it means this is probably gonna get deleted. Just a heads up.
>>
>>47153
There was already a /wqdt/, so the meta-thread rule doesn't seem to be enforced. Unless they changed it and are now letting meta-threads happen.
>>
>>45809
There was a slice of life post-apocalyptic tank manga somewhere. Hold on...

Look for Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou. Chapters are translated in English. Enjoy.
>>
>>47153
We've gone through the whole weekend with a WQT and it didn't die.
>>
>>47153
It probably won't. Mods want all the traffic they can get to excuse having this board up.
>>
>>45873
Schteel's strike witches quests weren't that bad.
>>
FeMC will immediedly make me suspicious. Despite what some unnamed groups of faggots might say, male is still the default state of player character in a male-dominated fandom. If the QM made the MC female, there's always some reason behind it, be it yurishit or something else fucking retarded.

>>47124
Except for the part where people will go through previous posts for the ID every time somebody makes their ass hurt.

IDs go directly against the whole point of 4chan and anonymity.
>>
>>47210
IDs are only per-thread, not board-wide. No one gives a shit after 404. I know that's a bigger deal on here than faster boards but honestly it still isn't a big deal at all. It really helps in quests anyway which should be the bigger concern.
>>
>>47172
Thanks anon, I'll give it a read.
>>
Man, there are a lot of people in this thread who are "suspicious" of female characters for really stupid reasons.

It's not like people can't make male characters for yaoi-related reasons. Then again, stupid people would probably flip their shit over that, too.
>>
What happened to all those blowhards from Spooky pitching Xenoblade-inspired quests?

Somethingsomething TEMPLE -To Ensure Mankind's Place and Longevity Everywhere?
>>
>>47029
>>47210
>>47279

It's literally a meme. We've had counts of female/lesbian/male/het comparisons, and it's really always been pretty close to equal.
>>
>>47315
Fair enough. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between people who are really stupid, and people who are just spouting memes; obvious overlap aside, I mean.
>>
>>47315
Those lists have literally always been skeved, incorrect, witheld information, etc. to make yurifags look better.
>>
>>47347
Not figuratively senpai?
>>
>>47347
No, they really weren't. It's a little to easy to be caught doing that.
>>
File: 1461799775800.jpg (211KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1461799775800.jpg
211KB, 1920x1080px
Let's say someone wants to run a Shounen quest with all those themes, light and dark tones. Now most shounen works has a Main Character with a dream of some sort:
>One Piece: Become Pirate King
>Naruto: Become Hokage
>Hero Academy: Become the next All Might Hero.
You name it. I'm looking for suggestions as to what a dream like that could be in a world inspired by Chinese/Monk themes and myths. Possibly also Kung Fu of some sort. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
>>
>>47361
>It's a little to easy to be caught doing that.
Yeah, and I've seen people call them out on it before, too.
>>
>>47376
Traditional/cliche standard is they seek to become immortal, learn an impossible to learn fighting technique, or found their very own school of martial arts.
>>
>>47376
Become the next Great Sage Equal to Heaven?
>>
>>47376
To be less cliche, how about they seek to achieve nirvana?
>>
>>47392
>>47397
>>47402
Great suggestions! Thanks a bunch!
>>
>tfw Historical fiction hasn't posted on his Twitter in nearly a month

I-Is he dead?
>>
>>46946
For Cap I'd adapt a bit of the Brubaker, Kirby/Lee and the Gruenwald stuff, splash in the movies because the movies are good and faithful to the characters, maybe adapt a few Avengers runs that feature Cap prominently, and never mind the canon of the comics because you can't please the purists.

Make it your own Marvel Universe, change what you want to change but be consistent with the changes.

My preference for Spidey is Young Adult Spidey. My personal favorite Spider-Man adaptation is Spectacular Spider-Man, the cartoon from a couple years back. I like a Spidey that is either still in high school or just finished, but you do you. I'd be hesitant to do a Spidey quest though since its been done before, but whatever, it can't hurt.
>>
>>46472
>Some fucker will ALWAYS demand to be a futanari and try to turn your quest into poorly written erotica.
I like to think that most of those have been drifting back to /tg/ after their initial indignation of no longer being able to rage about quests on their board.
>>
>>42843
>>Player question:
>How do you like this board and its quests so far?
Eh, hit and miss. The relative rush of new blood is nice, and plenty of new quests being started.

On the downside, the stories of /aco/'s first month make me worried about how moderation is going to play out. Also, it's a relative rush of new QMs who don't set up any way for fans to get notified of future quests, aren't aware that literary tropes don't always work well in quests, etc.

>>43074
The idea is appealing, but the trick is in how you'd run it. The quest format would encourage you to either perform very fast updates or come up with a truncated format for both battling and deck construction.

>>46688
If that's what you're going for, make it very very clear at the start. Some folks enjoy quests more for the narratives than the 'gaming' aspect, and plenty of quests in the past have had some sort of reload after a bad end, so a sudden disastrous end that leaves things hanging will certainly upset some readers if they were not made aware of the stakes.

>>46946
>if I were to do so, what would some good story arcs be to adapt or look to for inspiration?
Werewolf Cap! No, not really.

>>47419
Or if you want to go the villain route: Become the Bandit King / evil magistrate, like my father before me! (before an orphan went all Inigo Montoya on him)
>>
>>42843
>QM question:
Already made the switch, I think it went over well.

>Player question:
There's a lot of quests, it's nice to browse through. Only 2 or 3 grab my attention long enough to reliably participate though.
>>
>>47210
>IDs go directly against the whole point of 4chan and anonymity.
And so does looking up filenames and other means of IDing anons, but who gives a shit - it has a point on this board above all others. And if someone singles you out, or another anon, you can ignore them, as usual.
>>
>>45399
>Estate Quest
This. Sounds interesting, but can can you give more info on it?
>>
Hypothetical question: Let's say I want to run a quest with a similar plot hook to that of Fullmetal Alchemist.
>Two brothers/siblings
>They performed a taboo practice and one of them was left without a body, but mind trapped within an object or within his brother.
>The two of them find out that there is a rare item or etc. somewhere in this vast world that has the properties to perfect this taboo practice and restore the brother's lost body.
>They set out to find it.
How would I go about doing that in a Fantasy setting with low magic or very restricted High Magic? Would it be too unoriginal? Is it enough of a plot hook to base a Quest around?
>>
>>48364
Run it and find out.
>>
File: Template.jpg (28KB, 800x473px) Image search: [Google]
Template.jpg
28KB, 800x473px
>>48387
Couldn't have gotten a better answer. Have this.
>>
File: Samefag_Matrix.jpg (175KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Samefag_Matrix.jpg
175KB, 1024x768px
To weigh in on the ID thing, I had one person samefagging in my thread trying to insist on being female and then claimed that everyone who was like "no, let's be Big Master" was samefagging instead. It definitely helps. I don't usually look at the IDs, but when stuff like that happens it's really useful.
>>
>>48364
Make the brother a sword, also make him adorable, also question the purpose of conflict.
>>
>>48364
Unoriginal premises don't kill quests. Execution kills quests. Also people. Except when there's something wrong with the chair, or they mess up with the drugs.
>>
It's been already asked on this thread, but how would a historical quest go? One that is based off of real events with real people but has the benefit of alternate history going for it. Do quests on this board have to be original/fantasy?
>>
>>48675
It's not as though there's a rule to that effect. Just run the quest and see what happens. The worst that can happen is that nobody turns up or you run a shit quest.
>>
>>48675
>Do quests on this board have to be original/fantasy?
I don't think there's a rule saying you have to. Just that an alt-history quest, or even just a historical fiction quest, is gonna have a lot of armchair historians popping in to point out how wrong you are.
>>
>>47392
>>47397
>>47402
Rather than Shonen, isn't this going to be a Wuxia Quest at this rate?
>>
>>48706
Eh, if it still has the trappings and tropes of shonen anime, then it's still shonen at any rate, only with a more wuxia aesthetic.

Like, Hero Academy has the aesthetic of western superheroes, but it's still a shonen anime regardless.
>>
I'm not entirely familiar with Twitter, but how exactly do i add myself to the directory? Do i just compose a tweet while on that page? (The icon turned orange instead of blue) ive already subscribed to the list, if that means anything
>>
>>48675
/tg/ had multiple histy quests, some of which were quite popular.

This:
> is gonna have a lot of armchair historians popping in to point out how wrong you are.

can happen, but don't get too concerned about it unless you fuck up in a really big way. Nobody will mind too much if you mix up Marshall Ney's immediate subordinates, but make sure you know where Wellington was born, for instance.
>>
>>48687
>>48687
Thanks. One more question though, would it be better to have a made up character or use an actual person?
>>
>>48799
Go fictional character. It'll help with moving things off track (if you want to do that), and you won't have people screaming 'out of character' at every decision they don't like.
>>
File: RealityPepe.jpg (32KB, 500x439px) Image search: [Google]
RealityPepe.jpg
32KB, 500x439px
if /qst/ doesn't allow pony
and /mlp/ doesn't allow quests/cyoa...

what then?
>>
>>48743
The directory guy reads these threads, leave your twitter here and he'll find it.
>>
>>48805
>'out of character'
That's the thing though. Allowing the audience to munipulate the actions of someone to do whatever they want is a part of the alternate history. It's just everything around him/her is going to have to stay the same and react accordingly to our oocness. Plus it would be fun to have a powerful character we control to do what they want and feeling the consequences furthering going off the beaten path of historical events. Of course everything must make sense but I think I can manage that.
>>
>>48821
Okay thank you

Twitter: QMSaurn
>>
File: 1461818134330.jpg (127KB, 736x1377px) Image search: [Google]
1461818134330.jpg
127KB, 736x1377px
Hey guys, what's the best antagonist you've ever seen in a quest and why?
>>
>>48850
Hurricane Wren, MHQ. Got incredible characterization in very little time, was wonderfully and tragically foreshadowed. Her stage was intense and frightening, and the choices made in fighting her felt meaningful and risky. Her fate was emotional without being overdone.

Loved those threads.
>>
>>48814
Everyone's happy?
>>
>>48814
I hate you, but odds are if /qst/ lasts, we'll eventually hit a point where any subject matter is passable with minimum harassment.

I'm more optimistic than most people about the survival of this board but I expect it to survive mostly on redirects from other board interests until different quests are their own country.
>>
>>47210
Or what the players voted for? Happened in my quest.

Speaking of, on break right this second, but I'm running a weird dungeoncrawl modern fantasy thing here:
>>>/tg/47043968
>>
What's a good system/mechanics to use for quests? What works and what doesn't?
>>
>>48977
I'm a heretic for saying this, but I like freeform suggestions and voting; I can't stand dice.
>>
>>48985
I'd run with that, but I expect my current quest to be unpleasantly lethal, so... I'd rather have an impartial system in place so that people can't complain about it.
>>
>>42843
Cabal is almost deserted. Hugbox is ded as fuck.
>>
The biggest mistake I've seen new QMs do on this new board is tying what happens next to post #. Maybe on boards like /v/ and /b/ it's needed, but here on /qst/ it just inflates the post count and slows everything down as people keep trying to get gets.
>>
>>49058
> tying it to post number
Ewwww.
>>
Reposting from the rolling sticky.

Pardon my tripfaggotry for a moment.

I was reading the discussions posted here and became curious enough to ask my players a few questions. Specifically, why/how they started reading my quest and how many SMT games they have played (SMT being the franchise my quest is based upon). As of time of writing, 90 players have answered the first poll and 73 have answered the second.

http://www.strawpoll.me/10114710/r (embed)
http://www.strawpoll.me/10114720/r (embed)

If you can't be bothered opening them, for the first poll 40 (44%) players answered that they stumbled across my quest while browsing /tg/ and 34 (38%) said they enjoyed my previous work and decided to check my new quest out (no idea why, HBQ was shit towards the end). 10 (11%) players stumbled across the quest while browsing the suptg archives while the remaining 6 (7%) found it through other means. One of them said that he found my quest while specifically browsing /tg/ for quests. He was the only one, so I'm guessing that sort of motivation isn't very common.

For the second poll, most players played only a few SMT games, with 30 players (41%) only having played bewteen 1-3 games and 15 players (20%) have played no games at all. Maybe they watched LPs on youtube or something.

Use this information how you will. Or don't. It's completely possible that these results are utterly useless to this debate. In any case, I found them interesting enough to share them with you guys.
>>
>>44265
We do go on /qst/ and /tg/ too, you know.
>>
>>49097
Don't forget that *none* of them came across your quest on another board.

That's not the same as going to another board specifically for quests, sure, but taken in combination with the /tg/ figure -- it doesn't bode well.

Hopefully, when the board crashes and burns, it doesn't take quests out with it.
>>
>>42843
>player question

There's a lot of random garbage, but that's to be expected from a new board that just opened. I personally enjoy the oekaki/shitscribble feature (even if I'm well aware it is responsible for a lot of the garbage). The ID's are something I personally wanted to see for a long time as well, too many choices (hell entire threads) have been derailed by autists absolutely wanting "their" choice to be taken.

On the negative, audience not showing up in those well-established threads that tried to come here is a concern. But all things considered, I'm carefully positive about /qst/.
>>
Shadowrun Quest is back on Track ! The players waifued the human as expected
>>
>>47153
I've said it before in the feedback thread: I think that what the mod intended with that rule is to prevent one "Quest Alpha" thread and then one or more meta-threads whining about "Quest Alpha".

One single meta-thread about quests in general isn't a problem at all.
>>
>>49166
Seriously, did you expect anything else?

More importantly, giant snek x human smut when? J/K! Or maybe not...
>>
>>49028
Discord has come to life, though. Surprisingly.
>>
>>49290
>Discord has come to life, though. Surprisingly.
What? There is a quest discord?
>surprisingly
Yeah, only seen it used by huge groups.
>>
>>49299
>What? There is a quest discord?
Read the OP-post.
>>
>>48872
....I have to agree.
>>
>>48850
Chad, obviously.
>>
>>48364
You've stripped it down to the essentials, it hardly counts as fanfic.

I'd go with a bit higher than low magic, since mind trap is a bit much for 2 kids, taboo or no. Definitely restricted/hidden from masses, though.

Just don't asspull every other chapter like your pic.
>>
>>48706
Lots of Chinese wuxia TV shows have almost the exact structure of a typical shone anime.
>>
>>45386
That is fine.
>>
How come people make these? Some of them are really high effort. Those are the ones I don't get.
>>
>>49591
You're not from /tg/?
>>
>>49591
You'll need to be more specific in your confusion, unless you're actually looking for shitpost answers.
>>
>>49591
Well, why do you do a thing you think is fun?
>>
>>49331
>spoiler
Never read it, so don't worry.
>>
>>49596
Nuh uh. I thought it was all board games and MTG/Yu-Gi-Oh! stuff.
>>49598
I guess I'm just wondering what makes it worth the time spent... All the effort. But I guess that goes for every hobby.
>>49600
I understand now. Disregard me, I suck cocks.
>>
>>49612
Hey, that's cool, man. Cocks are pretty fun.
>>
>>45399
>Crusty
shit, i just thought that i hadnt heard from you in ages. If you can manage it, a quest on /tg/ or a Side Quest here would be great
>>
>>49612
I'm looking to set up a Quest when I get some time. I'm mainly motivated by the potential of improving my creative writing skills. I could just write shitty short stories and beg for feedback but this just seems more fun.
>>
>>48977
Not really a mechanic, but the suggesters having more back and forth conversation with the main character can be interesting. This means they can do things like try to talk the character into doing something they don't want to.

For decisions, I do like having the best justification weight them. Get people thinking about the upsides and pitfalls of Option A versus Option B.
>>
>>43343
Sure. I like little girls.
>>
>>49612
>Nuh uh. I thought it was all board games and MTG/Yu-Gi-Oh! stuff.
And, you know, D&D and RPGs. I.e. quests.

The activity itself makes it worthwhile. The preparation is fun, the running is fun. Why do you play vidya? Is it to unlock weapons, or is it to play the game in the first place?
>>
>>48814
>>>/trash/
>>
>>48985
>freeform suggestions and voting
>I can't stand dice
You say that as if the latter can only be appeased by the former.
>>
File: 17mpxhscv4qx0jpg.jpg (65KB, 330x246px) Image search: [Google]
17mpxhscv4qx0jpg.jpg
65KB, 330x246px
>>43343
>austria
>the game
>>
File: 20160503202725_1.jpg (416KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
20160503202725_1.jpg
416KB, 1440x900px
OK, so fuck the Aztecs and ALL HAIL BRITANNIA.

I might make it into a quest setting. "Crusader Clan" seems to be on my mind.
>>
So, apparently I'm running the wrong game.

Despite the memetic hate....should I be running possibly incestuous Twin Mecha Pilot slightly fetishistic Quest?
>>
File: tegaki.png (1KB, 230x250px) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
1KB, 230x250px
>>49880
If we can customize mechs as well as we could in MechEngineer quest then sure.
>>
>>49880
I vaguely recall you pitching that.

.....SLIGHTLY? Yeah fucking right.
>>
>>49880
Sounds interesting.
>>
Rolled 11 + 5 (1d30 + 5)

>>49880
I'd read it.
>>
>>46438
I want to tease a little yuri but I'm afraid my readers would force me to do it for real.
>>
>>48872
What was MHQ? I'd like to read this if it's actually that good.
>>
>>47376
Becoming the most powerful magician.
>>
>>50018
If you're the QM, your players can't force you to do shit.
>>
>>50018
If a mountain bends its will to the wind, it is no mountain.
>>
>>50018

That's more or less impossible, but you're welcome to try
>>
>>49899
Not a chance of that, sadly. I'm about as capable an engineer as I am a public speaker. Sure, there would be custumization and designing and alterations, but they wouldn't have much at all to do with engineering and more to do with player creativity.
>>
>>50032
But he will have a fanbase of yurifags if he panders to them, though. They won't magically become any less cancerous if the QM goes "it was just a prank bro" later on in the quest.
>>
>>50018
Make the MC straight and sympathetic to the yuri character's impossible love. Yuri-fans eat that up.
>>
>>50024
Maverick Hunter Quest
>>
>>50082
And with his weak little QM constitution, that's clearly the worst thing that could happen.
>>
>>50102
The worst thing that could happen is he gets no players despite catering to the easiest to please fanbase on all 4chan.

That will be the true test of this board's survivability. If you can't get 10 consistent yurifags in a quest on this board, you ,may as well close up shop.
>>
>>50124
I really think you're blowing this out of proportion.
>>
File: synnibar-l.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
synnibar-l.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>45809
Isn't that picture from World of Synnibarr? Run a fucking World of Synnibarr quest!

Hard mode: use the actual rules.
>>
>>50024
Maverick Hunter Quest. I got into it as someone unfamiliar with the setting, who had never played the Megaman games, and it's been a helluva ride.
>>
>>50124
Be cautious with that logic lest someone reverse it.
>>
>>50145
Not really. People have been getting less posters per thread regularly, even if they were established QMs running their popular quests.
>>
I'm gonna make my quest yuri and you can't stop me!
>>
>>50183
Hey, if someone closes the board due to the prevelance of yruifags, how is that not a win?
>>
>>50186
I meant that I don't think a quest needs "ten consistent yurifags" to survive on this board, and I don't think the lack of yuri content padding post counts will hurt the board's lifespan.
>>
>>50219
I know what you meant.

The thing is, in order to be a success, the quest would have to have at least 10 posters (a higher than normal average for this board) over 5 threads (the minimum number required on /tg/ itself to be considered a living, active quest) to be a successful quest pandering to a specific subgroup of people who play quests.

Do you think it can be done?
>>
>>50194
..point!
>>
File: estate4.jpg (2MB, 2118x1417px) Image search: [Google]
estate4.jpg
2MB, 2118x1417px
>>48330
It'd be about a young man living on a large, poverty-stricken London council estate. One day, people start to go missing. The police barely bother with all but the most tentative measures, and nobody wants to talk about or even acknowledge what's happening, but something is clearly up.

It'd be short, probably 5-10 threads. Less, if this board turns out to be super slow like people have been reporting so far.
>>
>>50242
I think you and I have different definitions of success. I consider a thread where everyone has fun to be successful, regardless of the actual number of people involved in it.
>>
>>50304
>Having fun
Fucking degenerate.

I'd add that a quest that doesn't get cancelled is a success. Barring certain circumstances like the QM falling seriously ill, in which case I'd consider it neither.
>>
>>50304
Oh, fun is defintiely good. But sustainable fun is just as important.

In this case, fun is only relevant to the players and QM. The mods see this as a numbers situation. How many people have fun is important to them despite the ridiculousness of it.
>>
File: 1460783482104.jpg (175KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1460783482104.jpg
175KB, 1280x720px
>>50331
I won't have fun! You can't make me!
>>
>>50331
The thing is, none of these quests need to be sustainable. As long as there are people making threads and having fun with them, that's probably enough for the mods. It's not like that would be any different than the standards of any other board.
>>
>>50358
You make an excellent point.
>>
I'm thinking of starting a new quest designed to capitalize on /qst/'s features so I can get a better feel for how useful they can be.

The premise is inspired by Shin Megami Tensei, C: Money and Soul of Possibility Control, Accel World, Mage: The Awakening, Beast: The Primordial, Inception, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Joker Quest, and probably a few other things I can't consciously remember.

The protagonist has just moved to a city where the boundaries between the dream world and the waking world are beginning to erode. The gods of Dreams, Sleep, and Nightmares (Law, Neutral, and Chaos, basically) have chosen to place the city's fate in the hands of chosen mortals, who are empowered to fight each other for control over the city. As the mortals fight and grow in power, their hopes and dreams extrude upon the waking world, affecting all aspects of the city (the economy, crime rates, tourism, weather, politics, education, etc.).

The players' objective is to survive, take over the city, and ultimately decide what should be done about the boundary between dreams and reality, as well as the city's future.

Is this something people would be interested in?
>>
File: tegaki.png (13KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
13KB, 400x400px
Oh man it's like I'm in 2012 again!
>>
>>45399
Crackbitchin on /tg/, mugga
>>
File: 1461801889327.jpg (36KB, 467x490px) Image search: [Google]
1461801889327.jpg
36KB, 467x490px
>>50432
>The premise is inspired by Shin Megami Tensei, C: Money and Soul of Possibility Control, Accel World, Mage: The Awakening, Beast: The Primordial, Inception, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Joker Quest, and probably a few other things I can't consciously remember.
>>
>>50472
I watch and read a lot of shit.
>>
>>50480
When your list of inspirations and references exceeds six different intellectual properties you may as well just call it OC.
>>
>>50432
Interested as long as Law wins
>>
>>50432
>The premise is inspired by Shin Megami Tensei, C: Money and Soul of Possibility Control, Accel World, Mage: The Awakening, Beast: The Primordial, Inception, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Joker Quest, and probably a few other things I can't consciously remember.
Can't you just give us titles that actually make it possible to imagine what you are going for?

I mean, there's a thing that I have that is inspired by Joker Quest and shit.
But if someone asked me to describe it, I would mention entirely separate things.

The premise is interesting, but also really fucking broad.
I don't care unless we got mecha and upgrades.
And there needs to be at least one guy whose effect of reality causes his area of the city to become his personal tech workshop.
>>
File: 1451990424415.png (234KB, 500x870px) Image search: [Google]
1451990424415.png
234KB, 500x870px
>>50527
>>
File: Septagram.png (41KB, 552x568px) Image search: [Google]
Septagram.png
41KB, 552x568px
>>50527
>>50432
Chaos needs a champion.

Seriously, people forget that compassion, forgiveness, altruism, and generosity are chaotic, not lawful.
>>
>>50621
>make it possible to imagine what you are going for
/qst/: The Movie.
By Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan.
>>
>>50645
So, shitposting and faint dreams of IPs that will be forgotten by the masses of newfags?
>>
>>50645
....I could almost get behind this.
>>
>>50639
lol look at this chaosfag's propaganda
>>
File: 0c6.jpg (26KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
0c6.jpg
26KB, 320x240px
I just want to take a moment to say that this board seems like so much fun and I hope it lasts!
>>
>>50676
New parents say the same thing about new babies.
>>
>>50676
No.
>>
>>48814
/trash/, probably.
>>
>>48850
Theodore Komenos

While certainly not a main character at all he certainly got the quests attention and planted the seed of hate in the questers
>>
Episode 2 of Dark Gate Academy is up, if anyone's interested. >>51055
>>
File: Sir Fetch Card.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sir Fetch Card.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
One of my readers just made this. I. I don't even have words, I can't stop giggling like a madman.
>>
>>51164
Fetching.
>>
Rolled 2, 12, 18, 2, 3, 4, 16, 5, 6, 14, 8 = 90 (11d20)

testing
>>
Any new quests that you're interested in? Favorites?
>>
>>51263
Riz's Foxfire, cegremo's Guildmaster Simulator, Capes of Rain City, everything else I've been seeing from /qst/ denizens is absolutely terrible (aside from a few gems like Norvegiquest), and the /pol/shit that. Just. Keeps. Getting. Made. Is even worse.
>>
>>51263

Third of Heaven is pretty cool. We're playing as an angel who was part of Lucifer's Rebellion and trying to get his bearings in Canaan.
>>
>>51263
FoxFire caught my interest. Also the Legend of Peter Titmouse.
>>
There is a construct civ quest ran by Saurn that's pretty good, though I think it'll be active later
>>
File: 1448530363986.png (108KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1448530363986.png
108KB, 500x500px
quests?
>>
File: map.png (418KB, 996x1280px) Image search: [Google]
map.png
418KB, 996x1280px
Someone needs to run a /good\ Pokemon quest.
>>
File: helicopter cirno.gif (104KB, 320x471px) Image search: [Google]
helicopter cirno.gif
104KB, 320x471px
>>51539
quests!
>>
>>51606
Jersey is just entirely overshadowed by manhattan and philly
>>
I'm glad gr15 exists, so I don't have to come here.
>>
First it was Two Steps from Hell, then it was Judas Priest , and now Sabaton.

What is up with people pushing music into quests where they don't belong? It's as bad as people pushing, I mean memespamming Ace Combat/XCom/Dark Souls everywhere
>>
>>51321
Another not-Fuyuki Holy Grail War Quest on /qst/. Color me unsurprised.
>>
>>51904
Been waiting for Moon_Cells quest on the weekend, but what´s the new one called?
>>
>>51676
While I agree, I think it's best to not start shit. And /cyoag/ has just as much shitposting as this thread. Dunno what to call it, /qstg/ I suppose.
>>
>>51865
In which quests does it feel awful? I only know of SQ using TSFH, and that fit the scenes SM wrote well enough.

I ask because I've been considering what BGM to use for exploration and other things in the quest I wanna run. And because I know from film student days how much better silence and imagination is than jarringly ill-fitting music.
>>
>>50639
Generosity is dangerous.
Compassion is useless.
Altruism helps no one.
Forgiveness is heresy.
>>
>>51922
Fate/Broken Destinies

>>51273
>>
>>52040
Why can't people just file off the numbers? At least then they could pretend to have an original bone in their body.
Smiley did it. It didn't work and the quest ended up sucking, but at least he tried.
>>
File: 1407186212919.jpg (1MB, 1442x2375px) Image search: [Google]
1407186212919.jpg
1MB, 1442x2375px
Will he ever return?
>>
Promises of Power is in another saltstorm.
Watching shit break down there is a guilty pleasure.
Also, if people here are interested in reading a well-written quest, I highly recommend PoP. And it could use some good (and chill) players as well.
http://anonkun.com/stories/promises-of-powerbr/W3yTMsk9etbwebh5D/home
>>
>>52627
>smut
>female protagonist
>>
>>52790
>smut
Barely any.
>female protagonist
Yes, and?
>>
>>52627
I was going to but that completely cringe worthy review at the top made me reconsider.
>>
>>52627
>>52803
They were easy to trigger though.
>>
>>52452
Chief has been done with quest's for a long time man and he seems content enough not to want to come back.
>>
Where do quests get archived on this board for multiple installments? Is it automatic, or do you have to intentionally archive it like suptg?
>>
>>53197
Intentionally at the moment.
>>
>>45809
Insurgent quest has my attention, if done well.

I remember one ages ago where the players spent nearly two whole threads over the wedding and our new wife (and no arguments either because it was arranged). Man where we PISSED when our uncle and her parents family got hit in a drone strike at another wedding.

Went from "hey man, we're just a coalition of villages that want to avoid the governments oppression" to "DEATH TO THE WESTERN DOG" in a heartbeat.
>>
>>53197
There's an archive, but it's mega shit.

No searching or ghostposting
>>
So I like Civ quests. I do. But they seem to kind of hit the same stale formula. I'm thinking of doing something hybrid. A quest with a MC with personality and a number of their allies. Something happens and they're stranded elsewhere, away from home. They need to survive (Civ Elements) and then also either carry out some task or have another goal where they're located (Traditional Quest Elements).

Not that I don't like the current Civ Quests...I just feel a need to shake it up beyond-

>Build
>Search for Food
>Explore
>Research

into something a little more intense.

Thoughts?
>>
>>54004
go for it?
>>
>>54004
Make the options a little more in-depth I guess.

> That ship wreckage further down the beach, could something worth the effort there [Gather Material]
> There's bird droppings all along that cliff-face. Where there's birds there's nests, and where there's nests there's eggs... [Search for Food]
>>
>>52436

how would one even file the numbers off of something so heavily based on a setting as in-depth as Type-Moon?
>>
I'm surprised there aren't a dozen Planetary Governor quests. Is there even one running on /qst/ at the moment?
>>
>>54373

I mean, let's go deeper: say you invent your own setting where secret wizards in the modern era summon the spirits of past heroes.

How is ripping off an established setting specifically so that you can write fanfiction quests of it better than just using the same setting and not even bothering trying to convince everyone otherwise?
>>
>>52452
>Will he ever return?
Right after Hexer and ShadowMaster come back.
>>
>>54593
>Hexer
But he's come back on multiple occasions, sure he may not have run AToW on those occasions but he has come back.
>>
>>54004
For examples of civ-quests-with-impact Ogre Civilization Quest by Blorp and Hive Queen Quest by QuestDrone would be the evolution of civ quests you're looking for.
I'd also throw in Feral Necromancer, too, it fits the almost-civy bill I think but focuses more on characters usually. Dead King's Quest by Mors would be the furthest on the spectrum from raw civ quests, but I think it's approach to politics and decisions would be interesting inspirations to draw from.
>>
>>49859
dont do it, go regular ck2

be some fucking nobody in the middle of aquitane
>>
>>54861
If you're looking for an early prototype of the civ style quest, try Slug Quest.
>>
>>54404

Run it!
>>
File: Regret (3).jpg (62KB, 444x199px) Image search: [Google]
Regret (3).jpg
62KB, 444x199px
Yo guys, I've been thinking up some ideas for a HunterxHunter quest. I've been gone from questing on here for a while so if there already is one, I'll probably leave it to that guy.

I've run 2 quests before on /tg/ although neither of those went very far and both were in original (well, not based on only one fictional work) settings. This would be my first "fan fiction" quest.

It's the summer though soon though so it's not like you guys won't have an abundance of quests already.

Do you think I should run it?
>>
>>55003
Are you really fucking worried about oversaturating a board about quests with another quest?

This isn't /tg/, bro. No one's gonna get mad another quest thread's up anymore. Just do it.
>>
>>49746
Not really. That's the way I like to do things AND I can't stand dice. I don't often see other ways of doing things anymore, though.
>>
>>55019
Haha, yeah you're right. I guess I'm stuck in the /tg/ mindset still about quests, but with this place that probably isn't anything to worry about.

I'll plan for another 2 or 3 weeks and then I'll start something up and see what comes.
>>
While I'm behind this board 100%, I feel like there should be a way to advertise quests on /tg/. Like, a single general for it.
>>
File: NERV-Tasmania.jpg (532KB, 1200x533px) Image search: [Google]
NERV-Tasmania.jpg
532KB, 1200x533px
>>55057
Don't plan too hard. No plan survives an encounter with the PC(s). It's probably heresy to suggest this, but questing is essentially a form of roleplaying, and the point of roleplaying is to find out what happens - not to decide in advance and assign people roles from your movie script.
>>
>>55083
It's not free, but you could always buy adspace on /tg/. I think one of the first user ads was for a quest (albeit a cringe-worthy one).
>>
>>54945
Nah, running one quest is enough.
>>
>>55083
That's dumb. Anyone interested in quests in general would just check /qst/.
>>
>>55124
>buy adspace on /tg/
Oh god no, I would hate to be in the quest that comes along for that shitposting
>>
>>55124
That's probably something for big multi-QM Quests.
>>
Well we are back.

I am still waiting for you, Observer anon.

>>54683
>>54683
>>
File: SecretHandshake.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
SecretHandshake.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>55088
My planning mostly involves the overarching story that is happening (which will change depending on what most players seem to want) and making a character creation process, something that I was pretty good at for the last 2 quests I did.

Thinking of a few possible antagonists and story lines the players can choose from and thinking of companions they might enjoy on the journey will be part of planning, but in my mind, all these things can and should be changed at a moment's notice if players vote for a crazy write-in that can be fun.

Because that's what this is ultimately about.
>>
File: cant_go_wrong.jpg (70KB, 802x308px) Image search: [Google]
cant_go_wrong.jpg
70KB, 802x308px
>>55124
>>
>>55197
>Spongebob's reaction
>>
>>55088
>Don't plan too hard

I disagree. It's impossible to plan too hard, brainstorm all you want. Just don't be surprised if the players upset it all.
>>
>>55203
It was the banner
>>
>>55217
Yes, I think we realise.
>>
File: cadeira.gif (1MB, 302x201px) Image search: [Google]
cadeira.gif
1MB, 302x201px
>>55210
It's hard to let go of something if you've put a lot of work into it, though, and a lot of people just aren't capable of it.

>>55192
>>
>>55249

The best QMs don't avoid some minor railroading in the interests of the story (or not dooming the MC). They just never let the players see the rails.
>>
>>42843
>Are you considering switching to /qst/ from where you usually run? Have you already? Or have its creation given you an idea of going elsewhere?

I haven't quested in a while- a few months- but I was planning to go to anonkun when I got back to questing.

Might try /qst/ instead, when I finally come back.
>>
>>55163
It's already been done before. I forget the quest though
>>
>>55350
Same as DMing really.
>>
>>55556
See >>55197
>>
>>55083
Why would anyone buy adspace for a board that is a poor idea to begin with?
>>
>>55943
Autism.
>>
>>55083
I agree. I would never have gotten into quests if I hadn't seen one while browsing /tg/.

Actually buying addspace is awful though.
>>
>>54121
might do something when I have a day off work.

>>54353
Yeah that's definitely a start, but it still boils down to those same options. There was a Civ quest on /tg/ back...probably over a year ago with Constructs on the Floating Islands that developed a pretty compelling plotline that I really enjoyed...and then poofed.

>>54861
Interesting. I'll jot those done and have a looksee.While it's fun to blaze new trails, it makes more sense to follow a predecessor.
>>
>>55083
Quests will advertise themselves as long as good ones are made, especially if the parodies of such are made. Doing a good successful history quest would eventually bring the topic up on /his/, doing a good anime-based quest would bring up the topic in /a/, etc etc.

Right the board looks highly successful. If high-quality quests keep getting churned and new QMs don't burnout, and even though I hate to admit it the circlejerk and QM dickriding grows, /qst/ looks to be on the road to success.
>>
I'm suprised to see real content coming out finally.

However, what about things like those hunger games threads that used to be popular, will those be allowed here?

What about Oregon trail threads or dragons pass?
>>
>>56719
>However, what about things like those hunger games threads that used to be popular, will those be allowed here?
God no. They got /trash/.
>>
>>56719
>However, what about things like those hunger games threads that used to be popular, will those be allowed here?

Are those even games? You just load up images and let the program do the work.
>>
>>56719
Sure, the more the merrier.

I think the entire board should be dedicated to thread games. Roll games, etc.
>>
>>56810
Eh, if quests are too interactive and non /tg/ enough for /tg/, then those sure as hell belong here.
>>
>>56823
Go back to /trash/ with your shill.
>>
>>56840
Damn, found the problem with IDs, everyone can tell whose obsessed with /trash/ and shit posting.

In this case you.
>>
>>56849
Don't get your panties in a twist, man. The hunger games got a board where they are welcomed after they got thrown out off /b/ and left 4+4chan. No point bringing them somewhere else.
>>
Here's a pitch:

Solo Dungeoneering Quest

You are a thief and you spend your time breaking into dungeons to steal the treasure. Explore the dungeon, hide from the nastiest monsters, stalk the weak ones, and make out with a sack fat with gold.

Ruleset would probably be Swords and Wizardry with the character as a gestalt of a thief and something else to provide a little extra umph when going solo.

Planning to run on /tg/ sometime later this week. Probably Thursday
>>
>>56859
I disagree.
We should bring everything remotely related to a quest here so the board doesn't die.
>>
>>56849
Why did my ID change? Didn't fuck with cookies or anything and my IP is dynamic.
>>
>>56873
Thing is, those games aren't quests. Case closed.
>>
>>56882
Thing is, a lot of our 'quests' aren't proper quests. They're just called that by name.

Case closed.
>>
>>56886
>Thing is, a lot of our 'quests' aren't proper quests.
At least you tried. Now go avafag in /thrash/.
>>
I have a few ideas for quests but can't choose which one to do.

Which one should I do?

-Old Republic Sith Quest.
You are a small man in a small galaxy who was thrown into the dangerous life of the sith when your potential as a force user was discovered.
Now you have to navigate the world of intrigue and backstabbing of Korriban all the while you have to make tough decisions and suffer the corrupting force of the dark side.

(Basically Call of Cthulhu but replace the sanity loss mechanic with dark side corruption, where you can get buttfuck powerful at a high price)

-Mass Effect Rogue.
You are a small time mercenary of the Blue Suns who just betrayed his team for the sake of loot.
Now with your shiny new ship you are tasked with achieving fame and fortune by executing ever larger heists all over the galaxy and rising to the top of the criminal underworld.

-Overlord Quest (the game, not the anime)

You are the newly crowned Supreme Overlord of Evil.
In a world devastated by natural disasters and ravaged by complete anarchy You are the only one who can unify the forces of Evil and put them to their places (under you, of course)
>>
>>56963
You could always just do all of them. Which one first? Personally, I'd play Overlord.
>>
What are quests? I read the sticky, I read part of a thread, I still don't get it.
>>
>>57007
Choose your own adventure. If you go look at threads it'll be easy to tell.

An OP makes a quest, be it original, or some parody stuff like Dark Souls Quest or something. The players or people participating vote on what actions the main character takes. The story moves on based on decisions. The idea is that people are writing their own story.
>>
>tfw using ERP to flesh out important NPCs in my quest.
>>
>>57020
I thought the point of choosing your own adventure was, choosing your own adventure. Not helping other people choose an adventure.
>>
>>56963
>Old Republic Sith Quest.
been done could be good though

>Mass Effect Rogue.
could be good as long as we play a real bastard of a character

>Overlord Quest
its been done and I believe there is one still going I believe no one really goes in for overlord or evil guy quests because they dont want to do the truly evil or tyrannical things like pillaging or raping or right up murdering established/likable characters
>>
>>57037
They do.

Typically the majority votes always win and there is an unwritten rule that "write-ins" aka literally anything the players want is always an option.

But "Choose your own adventure" might not be entirely correct.

It's more like a group sitting at a campfire and one guy tells a story while about 20 guys are all shouting at him about what should happen next.

There is also some RNG involved, because nobody wants to fail but failiure should still be a possibility
>>
Okay, sorry, I don't get it. I just don't, sorry.

Best of luck to whatever it is you do here. I'm sure it's very fun if I were part of the in crowd.
>>
>>57073
Try and give it a shot.

There are quests about almost everything, find a quest that gets your intrest and start reading the archives.

In a way it's like watching a book being written while you can also influence things that happen.

It's a lot of fun if you can get into it
>>
>>57073
Best possible way to understand it is to read them.

Find one in the suptg archives and read it. Look for one that relates to your interests, whether it be necromancers, mecha, operators operating operationally, whatever and start reading it.
>>
>>56823
I disagree
>>
>>57025
My negro
>>
>>57096
>>57089
I tried clicking the first thing that popped up and got this:

>>51460
What is it?
>>
>>56810
It's not. Go look at /trash/, it's just RPing threads.
>>
>>57149
Cats and waifushit.

Just...trawl the archives for something you'd be interested in. I got into quests by looking up Valkyria Chronicles on suptg, and stumbling upon a quest explicitly based upon it.

Trying to get into quests by reading that is like trying to get into movies by watching Freddy Got Fingered.
>>
>>57149
What sorts of stories are you interested in? If you can tell us some genres, themes, ideas that you like, we can probably link a relevant quest.
>>
>>57149
I got into quests through things like dbz quests and branched out from there into some super hero quests and some mutant quests. What are you mostly looking to get into?
>>
So soon enough on Saturday, I am gonna be running a thing called Champion's Quest. Be sure to look out for it. I'll have a twitter up sometime soon too.
>>
So I have to ask: is the fight to stay on /tg/ basically over? Has the community there all but given up?

I continued to post over there for the weekend out of a sense that we were all more or less on the same page, and because I didn't want the manager to mistake my own acquiescence for "our" support. Are there at least some other QMs who still feel that way?
>>
>>57396
there are several QMs who aren't moving out anytime soon. I don't blame them, even though the shitposting is starting to die down. It's a bit before a full week since board creation, and I still feel that it could wait a few more days/weeks if mods are still going to stay silent.
>>
>>57396
It hasn't, it's just that most people don't have the stomach or tenacity to shitpost about it in a general 7 days a week. /tg/ is still almost entirely against it.
>>
>>57411
[Citation needed]
>>
BOARD IS SO FUCKING SLOW
>>
I've been running here to give the board a fair shake. Well, I've shaken it pretty damn hard, and the simple truth is, players don't like this board. All the bells and whistles are nice, especially the word count increase....but realistically, the players aren't here, and they don't want to come here.

I'm going to try one more quest, and well see what happens. I've posted all ym feedback in the feedback thread with the word feedback in it, so the mods can find it if they bother at all.
>>
>>57421
By which I mean about 10% are dead against it, 3% are for anything that will get quests off /tg/, and the remaining 87% don't give a fuck, judging by what I've seen.
>>
>>57406
>>57426
This is precisely what was predicted.
>This new board will not be populated by only a subset of /tg/'s userbase. It will be populated by anyone who is curious enough to show up. The rules are being written to take into account the influx of users who have no knowledge of /tg/'s culture.
Translation: the new players you can expect are mostly going to be casually interested cross-boarders, and will have no idea what you are doing or what they should be doing to make a roleplaying game actually work.
>In the long run I think that'll be fine; in a month or so /qst/ will settle down and it should be pretty comfy and well-behaved just like /tg/. In the short-term the place is going to be pretty chaotic as curious newbies from all over spam garbage everywhere.
Translation: /tg/ is a totally calm and well-behaved board, so we expect this one to be the same once all your new posters are gone. This will all work out in the end, because reasons.
>Stickies like that aren't very effective. We ban tons of people every day who don't read stickies and follow basic published rules.
Translation: you Chantards are idiots and you can't read, so I feel no need to explain myself or communicate with the new board.
>I loved RubyQuest and NanQuest back when they were running. Absolutely engrossing. And After the Brick was some of the best material I've seen on 4chan. Honorable mention for Huge Quest as well.
Translation: I haven't followed quests in forever and can't name any recent ones to demonstrate the breadth of my understanding, but don't worry. I know what the questers like. It's the same things I like, right?

That's how this all started. It's how the man who created the board over our objections thought things would work: he builds our "custom board" and it has its issues for a while, then the traffic eventually dies when people start to figure out that it actually takes effort to run a quest. We get a handful of new QMs in exchange for the ones that no longer run on 4chan or run less frequently, most of the new players end up migrating, and eventually we're expected to fellate him over what an amazing thing he made.

Just typing all that out was tiring, because it's the same old song and dance from the last week or so, but I was briefly reminded of why we were mad in the first place.
>>
I want to run here, I really do. This board deserves a fair chance.

Frankly because my current primary audience aren't /tg/ specific, I don't think I'll have a problem continuing as is, but I'm not sure if my audience will grow here.
>>
When offering a set of powers to the players, when there are several sets available, can anyone make any suggestions as to which set the players will tend to jump for?

Each of the six types of magic is pretty basic, and they're all extremely powerful. Do they go high utility, high destructiveness, most versatility, most edgy, most reverse trope (i.e. good necromancers)? Anyone have any feedback for me?

If it helps, the six basic element of magic in the setting are based off of old Elemental Law from Rolemaster, using the most powerful and basic elements (which are very nearly conceptual building blocks, rather than elements): Aether, Chaos, Nether, Nexus, Spirit, and Time.
>>
>>57484
I think it's really a crapshoot, and it'll depend on your specific audience and who's tuning in at the time.
>>
>>57494
Ugh. Worst of all possible worlds for the QM.

Thanks though.
>>
>>57508
Look at it this way!

You'll get to practice your improvisational skills!
>>
>>57515
True. Presenting the powers is the hard part. Giving the players a fair shot at it is kind of important, but there really isn't a 'useless' powerset, though some can help their situation more than others.
>>
>>57484
My suggestion?

Get creative.
People will like you if you make unique and creative but at the same time balanced powers.
Don't make Mary Sues with "OMG SO UNBEATABLE" powers, even if a someone is fuck strong give them weaknesses.

Using vanilla powers is fine but keep in mind that people like originality and get bored of the standard stuff pretty fast
>>
>>57549
People love Mary Sues if their character is one though.
>>
>>56963
>crowned
Who the fuck crowned you?
>>
>>57555
The trips speak the truth.

But it's also true that shit gets boring that way.

>>57484
Also another thing I forgot to mention.
Giving people the ability to choose 1 of 6 possible branches of power without them knowing fully what each means might be a problem.
Either make it very clear what each does or simply choose one yourself if you want consistency.
>>
>>57559
Presumably you yourself. Like Napoleon did.
>>
File: Gnarl.jpg (91KB, 706x674px) Image search: [Google]
Gnarl.jpg
91KB, 706x674px
>>57559
This guy
>>
>>57559
If you don't know, Overlord is basically Pikmin where you play as Sauron
>>
>>57467
well I don't exactly disagree
>>
>>57559
Who stopped him?
>>
>>57582
I tried playing that but I got bored of it.

The "you killed babies!" villager complain was hilarious though.
>>
>>4342
Can someone tell me what I did wrong?
>>
>>57624

At least personally, I'd probably read the first few lines of that thread on the catalog and skip it. There's nothing intriguing, nothing catches my attention and promises me something fascinating or interesting.

It feels very cookie-cutter, the opening image isn't interesting at all, and, just by reading the text, I can't tell WHAT the quest is going to be about, or what its theme and feel will be.

It doesn't GET me.

Plus, personally I prefer "traditional" quests where players vote on the action of one player.
>>
>>57642
What would you recommend for a better first impression?
I was trying to do a kind of open world, players having a world to explore rather than some linear set of events.
>>
Is it okay to give a quest a simple name like Fantasy Quest?
>>
>>57665
Too simple, too broad. Give it a name that suggests the style of fantasy, or something that hint at the nature of the quest.

Mine will probably be quite generially named - Dramatic Princesses Rescue Quest or the like. That tells people it is fantasy, but it is about princesses in some fashion, and that it is probably going to be fast paced and exciting or dangerous (i.e. dramatic).
>>
>>57655
I would go with a much more eye catching image. Something like this one implies power and world building.

If you're going to do an explorer quest, you;re going to need something that suggests 'sandbox' to the players. And you're going to have a group of players who all want to go in differing directions. What you instead want to do, with this style of quest, is set up three or four potential goals - you can trek to the city of Lothar and eek employment in one of the guilds; you can seek the mysterious inhabitants of the forest and gain magic, or you could go to the ruins of magdar, and seek the tools of adventure left in the wake of other explorers. Something like that gives them some kind of goals to work towards, and gives them incentive to more around and explore the world a bit.
>>
File: 1405683948396.jpg (144KB, 1297x616px) Image search: [Google]
1405683948396.jpg
144KB, 1297x616px
>>57691
Forgot the image.
>>
>>57655
You need a hook. Something in the opening lines that will grab the players' interest. Something like 'Finally my revenge is at hand!' or 'I should have never trusted that halfling.'

Starting with character generation can be bad because there's no sense of immediacy unless you make it clear what the character is going to be doing.

Starting in the middle of the action is good. You might work in character generation by presenting a problem and then offering options to solve it that are typecast for classes. I cast a spell on the giant snake, etc.

Secondly I don't think the pastebin is a good idea - having people have to divert their attention to a non-live link right away is a turn off. If you're going to have mechanics, think like a tutorial. Tell people the full information they need to make a decision in the post and then build it up piece by piece. Tell them about skills the first time they use a skill. Tell them about levels when the level up.

Lastly, the quest start is the time of peak trollposts since no-one's invested yet, so it pays to troll-proof your initial decisions.
>>
File: dreamland.jpg (910KB, 1600x1150px) Image search: [Google]
dreamland.jpg
910KB, 1600x1150px
>>57655

The problem is that your quest looks low effort.

Now, don't take this badly. I don't mean to say that you're not putting any effort. I mean to say that it doesn't LOOK like you have.

There isn't any particularly creative writing in the OP, and the image looks like something done in paint in a couple minutes.

I'd say... you should have started with some better writing, and with a map that catches people's imagination.

Now, everyone will have different ideas on what a "map that catches the imagination" is. It might be one with an explored core but vast, poorly mapped regions waiting for intrepid explorers. Or it might be something detailed and full of places with catchy names. It might be something clear and crisp and easy to read, or something drawn like a historical medieval map.

I'll be honest: I realized that that drawing was a "map" only because the filename said so.

Image is the map of the Dreamlands from Call of Cthulhu. It's one of the most evocative pieces of cartography I've ever seen in my life. Just posting to give you some ideas.

Also: why are the players exploring? Why should they explore? Where's the motivation? Why should they CARE? It doesn't really give any hook.

It doesn't have to be a particularly deep reason, but there should be SOMETHING. "memories" is really vague and not terribly interesting, unfortunately. (At least, to me. Other people might feel differently)
>>
>>57624
Personally, I would read
>Welcome....transported up here.
then nope out by how cookiecutter it is.

the next section doesn't really tell me what kind of person the MC is, and that is a problem only compounded by your
>wat do

now I'm sure you want US to do some of the defining, but this is the kind of vagueness that encourages passive self-insertion and/or just rolling to see what we do.
>>
Is anyone gonna start a new civ thread? I have no proficiency with making and maintaining but would love if someone started a new one.
>>
>>56353
>
Quests will advertise themselves as long as good ones are made, especially if the parodies of such are made. Doing a good successful history quest would eventually bring the topic up on /his/, doing a good anime-based quest would bring up the topic in /a/, etc etc.

>Right the board looks highly successful. If high-quality quests keep getting churned and new QMs don't burnout, and even though I hate to admit it the circlejerk and QM dickriding grows, /qst/ looks to be on the road to success.

You must be high or something. I just see a deluge of Problem Sleuths and a bunch of slow posting shit that's better off on SB or Anonkun.
>>
Holy hell I did not expect that many responses. Thanks guys.

>>57691
I was trying to do hardcore sandbox, where you figure out what you wanna do yourself.
Though of course it still lacks any interesting conflicts or apparent challenges, like a civil war to fight in or a local troll to slay. I think I'll add in some objectives that are contextually sensitive to the local area.
Like the Cities of the Midlands has a thieves guild you can either join or help take down, or there's a bounty on someone who ran into the wild, or you can just join the military.

>>57698
I was trying to do that with the Rugo character being ominous with saying "don't say I didn't warn you", like making the player think this shit is gonna go all Mirai Nikki on their ass.
I wanted to have real consequences as a result of a player's actions, no matter how good or bad they were. Which would result in some fucked shit.
As for expositioning stuff as I go along, I didn't plan to have skills or anything like that, maybe specific spells but not specific skills for melee fighting. But since I'm still using rolling, I guess I should throw in some of those instead of "muh realism".
How would you recommend going around character creation then? Or should I just drop it?

>>57713
Similar answer to the other guy who mentioned the map and giving the players a goal.
I didn't want to have quests because it feels unrealistic, because in reality people do whatever the fuck they want.
As for the map, I'm shit at drawing on computer. And yes, that actually was made in a few minutes on Google pictures.
>>
>>56353
....you are smoking some really fine drugs there, anon.
>>
im glad Zerinp5r got these help.
I hope MY quests are picked up and not just die thanks to these posts.
>>
File: Lestradia.png (4MB, 2892x2420px) Image search: [Google]
Lestradia.png
4MB, 2892x2420px
>>57763
Is it still you? you've got a different ID.

>I was trying to do hardcore sandbox, where you figure out what you wanna do yourself.
I appreciate that, and believe me, I LOVE sandboxes. Most of my games are sandboxes. But you need to start with SOMETHING and then open up.

There's a reason even videogames start you off in a "tutorial area" and then open the sandbox up. It works, and works for other interactive games too.

Ever heard "limitations breed creativity"? Lack of limitations cause people to not be sure where to go or what to do, or even what they can or can't do.

An empty space is a terrifying thing. You need to ease people into it.

>a civil war to fight in or a local troll to slay
>the Cities of the Midlands has a thieves guild you can either join or help take down, or there's a bounty on someone who ran into the wild, or you can just join the military.

You should've mentioned this, for example. Even in a sandbox, nothing exists in a vacuum.

But, again, I don't know how a multi-character quest on 4chan would work, or even if it can. I've got no experience with that.

>I didn't want to have quests because it feels unrealistic, because in reality people do whatever the fuck they want.

I don't think that is right. People take input from their surroundings. People exist in a context.

A character that exists in your world will have had his entire life of context. He would know that's a civil war going on, that there's a troll hiding under the bridge outside town taking a toll from every caravan, that the Midlands are full or thieves, that a dangerous criminal is running around with a bounty on his head, and that the military is recruiting. He knows that context, and can act on it.

If you plop a player in your setting without ANY context, he wouldn't know, and wouldn't be able to guess, these things. You can either give them a full guidebook to the setting, or ease them in it bit by bit. Starting them with NO input and expecting them to know what's going on is a bit too much.

>As for the map, I'm shit at drawing on computer. And yes, that actually was made in a few minutes on Google pictures.
There are some good map tutorials around the internet, and some good utilities. Image is an old generic fantasy setting map I did with a free program called Hexographer. It took me a while, but I think it look ok.

It's important to look like you're putting effort in your quest. I wouldn't click on a quest whose title image is a "map" someone did in a few minutes on Google pictures.

A good Quest Master is like a good tabletop Game Master. Most of his work is done before the game. He has to prepare things, organize, put effort in the game BEFORE the game happens, then ALSO run the game.

Put effort in your quest and show it, and you'll get attention.
>>
>>57794
I'm am same guy, on school wifi now. Was on mobile before and now I'm on laptop.

As for limitations, I planned to have limitations in being what the players could actually be capable of. Like, they have to take into account real-world setbacks like logistics, supplies, disease, other people trying to fuck their shit up, local laws and customs, etcetera. For a tutorial area, I could probably have them be in a small town that got raided or something? But that's super cliche, so perhaps they're getting training from an instructor in whatever class or skillset they chose.

I came up with those quests off the top of my head, trying to think of ideas. If they sound good to you and anyone else I'll add them in.

Context, I completely forgot about that. Despite technically being able to do whatever the fuck they want, other things also get to do whatever the fuck they want, so that can affect someone's decision making process.

I'll make sure to give myself more preparation next time then. I think I'll stick with the setting, but instead provide a more realistic map with like cities and landmarks and stuff.
>>
>>57793
I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.
But yeah, maybe my questions can be related to other aspiring QMa
>>
>>57793
>referring to posts by the ID
Even if in jest this is why I hate IDs. I don't want to be a person with a face.
>>
>>57843
Not sarcastic, just sad
>>
>>57827
>I'll make sure to give myself more preparation next time then. I think I'll stick with the setting, but instead provide a more realistic map with like cities and landmarks and stuff.

Preparation means really a lot. Not just the map (although that's important, for what you want to do), but the setting as well. You have to give players an idea of how the world is ans what they can do in it.

That's what I mean by limitations. Not power limitations, but setting limitation.

Take the real world. We live in the real world, so we know that you can be a homeless guy, a soldier, a CEO, or the President of the United States. Those are all things that exist.

But in your world, what do we know? Can I be a Hexarch of Pirlonia? Can I be a Snarfwarghble from Yongdoggler, armed with my trusty quiptarl and seeking the mystical Macguffin?

I'm making a very stupid and extreme example, of course, but I hope I'm making my point clear.

Honestly, rereading your post, i realize that your quest would actually be quite a bit more interesting if you cut the entire first part of your post, started from "You are in the southern district of the Midland Cities, in a tavern. The lighting is low, and the air is thick with pipe smoke and the stench of everyone around you.", and then built on that.

The post limit is 3000, so use those. Say things like "You glance nervously around, and once more check for the reassuring weight of your coin pouch. The Midland Cities are a hive of scum and villainy, plagued by thieves and cutthroats." and then went a bit on explaining the setting. Not ALL the setting, just barely enough to give us a bit of context on our immediate surroundings.

...I'd conclude with a more believable prompt than a little girl in a seedy tavern looking for a mercenary, but that's for personal taste.

Honestly, I don't think you should retry with your quest without changing a lot, or maybe even trying something entirely new, because then people will go "oh look it's this thread again".
>>
File: hey kid wanna ss.jpg (82KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
hey kid wanna ss.jpg
82KB, 640x480px
>>47733
>My personal favorite Spider-Man adaptation is Spectacular Spider-Man, the cartoon from a couple years back.

Still mad it got axed.
>>
Does anyone know when the /qst/ evogame run by The Librarian will return?

It doesn't look like it even got archived.
>>
>>57881
So concerning making characters tho, should I just tell people to make a name, race, and class in initial post with my original post?
And what about rules for like rolling and moderation? I feel like a pastebin would be better for that, which is why I used it in the first place.
>>
>>57898
Like I said, I have no experience in running multi-character quests.

But, if i had to guess:

first of all: 10 players is way too much. If I were you, I'd start with 4 for the first thread. Have them already be a group. Frame it as a D&D game, that is, "you're a party of adventurers doing adventurerish things".

Absolutely avoid putting essential info in the pastebin. No one reads a pastebin before deciding if he should follow a quest or not. They read them only once they've gotten invested in your thread.

Finally: I'm sorry to say this, but your rules are very badly written.
Going through your pastebin, you lost me at this line:

>WE WILL BE USE 2d6 FOR ROLLING, OR A 12-SIDED DI (I think)

There are multiple things wrong in this line:

1) 2d6 is not the same thing as 1d12. 2d6 give you a number from 2 to 12 and the result is biased towards 7, with a probability bell curve. 1d12 gives you a number from 1 to 12, and it's unbiased, with a flat curve. This is basic dice math.
2) "rolling" doesn't mean anything by itself. Do I have to roll high? Low? Do I have to roll above a certain number? Does this number change depending on the action's difficulty? What are some sample difficulties? What do I need to roll to open a door? discover a trap? stab a dude? jump a mountain? steal the sun?
3) there's a typo. minor and petty, i know, but hey, first impressions count.
4) rules should never have "i think". you're coming off as a guy who has no idea what he's doing, or even if he should be doing it.

Finally:

>KEEP POSTS AT AROUND A HUNDRED WORDS, NO TOO MUCH MORE.

Why? The character limit is at 3000 specifically because a lot of people, both writers and players of quests, wanted that. Quests are usually narrative, verbose affairs. It feels like you're asking people to NOT get invested in your world. That you don't care what they have to say about it.

...My suggestion to you right now would be: before running something like this, read a RPG rulebook.

I have the feeling you've never read one. I might be wrong, but that's the idea that your writing conveys, and it's not an idea you want your players to have.

You could base your quest's mechanics on an ACTUAL rpg that exists, even. modern D&D can be complex, but there are simpler variants.

Labyrinth Lord is a oldschool D&D retroclone with fairly simple rules. They can be a good inspiration, although I think they're still a bit too complex for playing on a board, where you want everything super streamlined.
If you want something simpler, Simple d6 is a set of rules made by /tg/ that i find particularly elegant.

You can google both of these.
>>
>>57980
You are correct in assuming that I have no idea what I'm doing. I figured since we're on a 4chan board I didn't really need it to be too complex or put much thought into the rules. I apologize if I came across like I was trying act like I knew what I was doing.

I think I'll just do 1d12 then, I thought 2d6 was the simplest way to do it (I have googled how the dice works but I still can't conceptualize it).
As for how I determined rolling, I was gonna do the typical "roll however high or low to determine level of success", your "level of success" ranging from either a complete failure to meeting every single goal you had in mind.
Instead now I think I'll have the roll determine the difficulty of the thing in question. For example, if you roll to climb a wall the roll doesn't determine how well you do but how difficult the wall is to climb (got this from Lindybeige on youtube).

So essential info in original post, like exposition of the world and basic rules, then specific stuff in pastebin? Or just no pastebin at all?

I honestly forget the reason I did the 100 words limit thing. Maybe I felt like making people get to the point, but yeah allowing players to explore their narrative seems like a way better idea.

I will google those, thanks.
>>
>>58008
>Instead now I think I'll have the roll determine the difficulty of the thing in question. For example, if you roll to climb a wall the roll doesn't determine how well you do but how difficult the wall is to climb (got this from Lindybeige on youtube).

I used to watch Lindybeige too, but I don't remember this. I don't quite get how it's supposed to work. It feels very random.

So a wall can be super easy or super hard to climb depending on a dice roll, with no context? Wouldn't it be better to establish a difficulty beforehand based on circumstances? i.e.:

"This wall is a smooth fortress wall built specifically to keep people out. You need to roll a 10 or higher to climb it."

"This wall is an irregular, natural rock wall full of purchases and seems fairly easy to climb. You need to roll a 5 or higher to climb it."

Otherwise, what could happen is that a fortress wall might roll very low and thus be very easy to climb. Why would people build it that way? And, does the wall change every time someone tries to climb it? or you roll once for every wall?

It just seems counterintuitive.

>>58008
>I figured since we're on a 4chan board I didn't really need it to be too complex or put much thought into the rules.
People won't pay attention to you if you do that. They've got better stuff to do. There are quests running right now with good writing and effort put behind them. You have to compete with them for an audience.
>>
File: Space-ConQuest.png (314KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
Space-ConQuest.png
314KB, 720x405px
In 4 or so hours from this post I'm going to start a strategy/quest game I've been working on for a few days now. It will have some modified and light strategy elements found in 4X games, mixed with a whimsical space exploration theme with 4 different opposing civilizations. Custom graphics with a space themed UI included. Come join the flight test, and share your opinions.

The actions in the game encourage creative thinking instead of just "Send ship to planet A", but rather "They have heavy defences. What if we send spies to rig the sewer system with explosives and cause a literal shitstorm in an act of terrorism?"

Second post in the thread will contain a tutorial image to explain the core mechanics. It takes around 5 minutes to read. I will answer questions before I start the game, if people need clarification.

I'm gonna leave a little teaser for those that are interested.
>>
>>58022
I think the idea was that it was more realistic, because your ability to do something doesn't change. Like, if I'm a good climber, I know if I can climb a wall or not, it was about looking at the game through the character's perspective.
Link to the actual video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF8UU4pqefk&ab_channel=Lindybeige
>>
>>58043

Yeah, I disagree with him (and I disagreed with him about a few other things as well, which is why I don't follow him anymore), because, going by that logic, Olympic high jumpers would NEVER knock the bar and fail the jump when jumping a height that they already successfully jumped before.

Going by that logic, deadly accidents in factories and construction yards would never happen because, if people did that yesterday, then they can do that today.

Reality is not that deterministic, nor should a game be. A lot of things can go wrong.

Let's say you look at a wall, and say "yeah, I can climb that."

Halfway up the wall, a brick comes loose. Or a gust of wind shifts your balance. Or you realize you've been vastly overconfident with your abilities. And you fall.

Why did that happen?
It happened because reality has an unpredictable element and because you're not in possession of perfect information. Things can go wrong unexpectedly. You can climb a tree ten times, and on the eleventh a branch that supported your weight the ten previous times snaps and you fall.

You work three years in a steel mill doing the same routine with no accident, and then one day you're a bit tired or distracted or unlucky and you trip and fall into a vat of molten iron, Terminator 2 style.

Besides, there's another problem with this system: it's not "about my character".

When I'm playing, I'm interested in my character. I want my roll to be about my character.

"My character manages to climb the wall" is interesting. "The wall is easy enough to climb that my character can do it" is not. Even though they might sound like the same thing.
>>
>>58078
Perhaps I could take point from either perspective? Like, I the roll determines the wall's difficulty, but as a QM I take into account recent events or however many times someone has done something, or perhaps a second roll for a random event, and add that to the character's chance of doing a thing?
I could just be overthinking too.
But I feel like this could really come in handy when fighting something or something, like your roll determines how skilled and strong some random bandit or an enemy soldier is.
You roll 12, you get a weak ass recruit. You roll 1, you get a seasoned veteran.
I was also thinking of maybe having players write out their moves too, like what they do with their weapon or magic.
>>
>>57898
>should I just tell people to make a name, race, and class in initial post with my original post?

Chargen is best done through the narrative gradually while include setting information in its details and be part of the choices that advance the plot of the quest/get the players involved with the world. Of course you're having more than one in mind, I'ma put it on you to cannibalize a proper method for that. To be honest I'll say it doesn't sound particularly easy to do, but if you're dead set on it you'll find a way or break down in an existential crisis.

So in the instance of a single character instead of:
>Ranger
>Knight
>Mage

You miight go for some simple equipment commentary with some setting backinfo:
>You lay your staff gently aside to reach for the reagents in your satchel, you're sure that accursed alchemist overcharged- you can never trust this backwoods merchants.
>You use the raucous din of the tavern as a mask for sharpening your dagger and shortsword, carefully eyeing your longbow rested on the table while peripherally scanning the patrons.
>You shift uncomfortably in your plate armor while handling the pommel of your sheathed longsword, you've never liked the capital city, too many people all too willing to pilfer from the unwary.

And of course the information you provide in all character/class options can be multipurpose. You can even include specific character traits to outline with each option, or have those decided at a later time during a very relevant choice.
For example, the second one included some nature of the character; they've got some mildly furtive inclinations. The first one included the mage doubting cynically someone they've met before, the third has the character making judgements. These add aspects to the characters, although they don't necessarily need to turn up here and could be in other choices they do contribute to the overall definition of their character. Although I don't recommend using these ones specifically, they're RPG cliches for easy examples.

The last one also tells players about the setting more than the previous two, and it's still true whether they pick it or not; now they've read information you can use later without it coming across as too unexpected. Of course it's very simple; just the name of a city and the nature of its residents, but players can often imagine more than what you said and might discuss whether to go to or avoid such a place based on your small descriptions. That too can and should be used as material, though be consistent with what you've established and be dynamic with what your players haven't entirely uncovered.
>>
>>58008
>what about rules, I feel like a pastebin would be better for that
For what you've given other poster said it best.

It's a good idea to keep the majority of the rules in a pastebin, but it should also be brought up and explained in thread at least once at the moment they become relevant. Usually this is made easy by clarifying the roll system in a couple sentences and then asking for the roll, so no one feels obligated to read a pastebin of rules. Then feel free to post a link to it afterwards for everyone that wants the information, keep in mind that not all players will read and never shy from clarifying.

Also the more you explain rules to players the more you'll see your players helping newcomers understand them, and then you'll feel warm inside. Do long as you don't devote too much time to clarifying, as there is a balance to strike there that is mostly up to you.

>>58008
>I figured since we're on a 4chan board I didn't really need it to be too complex or put much thought into the rules. I apologize if I came across like I was trying act like I knew what I was doing.
A lot, and I mean, a lot of effort has gone into good quests that attract peoples attention and keep them coming back.
Some people schedule their afternoons around or lose sleep for them, certain quests at times drove people to drug use and suicide. Some QM's have lost their apartments from QMing more than going to work, some have had to get therapy from the pure shitstorms their commitments have birthed. This is a hardcore fucking industry you pleb, we won't let you survive if you don't have the guts for it.

Well, no, it's not actually that serious. The previous info only applied to three QM's that I know of. But if you shy at the fact a lot of good quests have several weeks to months behind their worldbuilding alone, and then a year+ of runtime, that's a lot of hours of effort and dedication to interactive board based entertainment. People don't bother with what they believe is a waste of their time. Though even if your quest feels lacking in simple measures you can still get 3-4 dedicated players for several months. However it's recommended that you TRY YUR BEST and DO IT GUD, rather than rely on minimalist expectations of effort.
>>
>>58105
I was talking basic information, so if there's player-player interaction, then you know what you're looking, and NPCs can also react accordingly.
So yes, I agree with you that character development needs to be done through actual play, but you need some basic stuff to go off of.
>>
>>58107
So, keep pastebin linked, but also exposition rules as they become contextually important instead of making people read it. Am I correct?

And wow. I thought I'd get railed on for trying too hard on 4chan. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>58112
That's a solid goal, but don't be afraid to hybridize to make it easier on your initial players. They're the ones that'll put forth the effort to keep you going for fun and expansive adventures, and if you know what kind of players you aim to get then you can fuel your writing accordingly- and enjoy it too.
>>
When I get a new draft for the thread ready, is it alright if I post it in here for review?
>>
File: 5109832.png (86KB, 281x294px) Image search: [Google]
5109832.png
86KB, 281x294px
>>58130
Sure. It was something done every now and then in the ancient QTGs.
>>
>>58125
>And wow. I thought I'd get railed on for trying too hard on 4chan. Thanks for the advice.

You just need to check some of the currently successful threads with a lot of posters to tell that some people really put effort in what they do. Stuff with good writing, maps, character sheets, elaborate rules.

>>58125
>So, keep pastebin linked, but also exposition rules as they become contextually important instead of making people read it. Am I correct?
Yes, this is a good idea. You want to make your players' lives as easy as possible. Stuff that's one click away is too far. Threads need to be self-contained.

>>58130
>When I get a new draft for the thread ready, is it alright if I post it in here for review?

Yes. Even though I said that you're "competing for players", it's also true that this board will only thrive if it gets a lot of good content and good players. So it's in everyone's interest here for your thread to be good.
>>
Man, with the rise of /qst/, everywhere I go, writers are pacing themselves like taleanon. It's grating and boring.
>>
>>58125
>trying too hard.

The only crime you can commit is not trying enough.
The more energy and time you spend on working on your quest the more it shows.
You have no idea how many people like small things, such as character sheets.

Also about pastebins:
-Make a character sheet detailing the Main characters attributes, appearance, etc.
-Make a separate paste for social links or work them into the character sheet, you can use that to flesh out some of the side and background characters and people will love you for it.
>>
Guess I'll use this name now since it's supposed to be my QM name. Here's the draft:

Welcome, to Paradisium. A fantasy world, to put it quite simply. With humanoid races, magic, fantastical beasts, adventure,
And consequences.
Should you choose to enter this realm, this little world of mine, take heed: While there are things that have been added to it, beyond what you know, much remains the same.
You will find that the second you make a decision, whenever you act, you have tossed a pebble in a still pool. Somewhere down the line, the ripples will come back to you.
Remember to think things through.

In Paradisium there are four races you can choose from: Fire-elf, Wood-elf, Human, and Sar-kuhn.
In your initial post, put in your preffered name, your race, age, and gender.
For this first thread, I will only be accepting three players. This is first-come-first-serve, so if you post after the first four submissions you will be ignored.
If there's suddenly a conflict because one person is trying to post under someone else's name, I will ask for everyone but the original poster of the character to leave.
If the problem persists the character is kicked completely from the game, and will go down in history as having died from some uknown disease.

Pastebin with extended rules:

You've know your party members, your friends, since you were all children. You grew up in the Midlands, played together, fought the tough kids on the block together. You all got to where you are now, in this dusty tavern, with a thick haze of pipe smoke dulling your senses, together.
You each sit next to each other, sipping your preffered drink. All around you are hooligans, thieves, drunk guards, veterans brooding in the corner. The low hum vibrates your ears enough to wonder how the hell you wound up here.
Wait, that's right. You all failed together. You all dissapointed your peers, your family together. You were all estranged together, because of the decisions you made. They were good intentions, good intentions that hurt people.
Now, you're with the rest of the failures, drinking away the rest of your days. Each of you works the kind of job where people say "someone's gotta do it". The pay is shit and the three of you barely make enought to pay for the small room at a shoddily built in just down the road.
At the end of the work-week, you come here. You drink. You talk. You try to be happy.
Question is, who are you? What do you say to your friends?

>>58198
I was going to ask players to keep track of their own characters, but I guess I could make a sheet for NPCs.
>>
>>58197
Can you explain this a bit more?

I'm not familiar with taleanon
>>
>>58197

This is why stuff like Joker Quest hung around for a long time, because shit happened every chapter.

Then again, Princess Guard had a fuckload of episodes ABOUT NOTHING.
>>
File: 1431031015617.jpg (104KB, 449x642px) Image search: [Google]
1431031015617.jpg
104KB, 449x642px
>>58234
>Princess Guard had a fuckload of episodes ABOUT NOTHING.
A simple quest for a simple time.
>>
>>58206
Alright. I'll bite. What's a Sar-kuhn? Any reason there are two kinds of elves but no dwarves? I suspect people will also wonder what a fire-elf is.
I'd let people post, in the first post, with a brief description of their character on top or name, race, age and gender, which are rather non-indicative. What do they do, maybe what abilities they have.

Why not tell them to "say three things your character is good at", or five, or whatever? A rudimentary skill system?

As for name conflicts, encourage people to adopt trips maybe? and use one yourself.

Also: rather than first-come-first-served, say that you'll pick the three posts you like the most.
Because you might end up with three posts of "penis lol" and a fourth post by a player that is obviously taking you seriously.

It also encourages people who genuinely want to participate to try and put some effort in their writeup.

One last thing: I know that you want to go for a sandbox style, but if you want the premise of the game to be that the players are adventurers/mercenaries/explorers, say so. Say that they together decided to change their lives and become adventurers, or something. Otherwise what are they gonna write? "man, my job sucks" "yeah, mine too." "mine too." and that's it.

You need a hook, a call to adventure.
>>
>>58234
It also set up threads upon threads of people doing nothing but arguing about previous situations since they had nothing really pertinent to discuss or decisions to deconstruct.
>>
>>58234
>This is why stuff like Joker Quest hung around for a long time, because shit happened every chapter.
Eh...
It's taken us what, half a year, to finally beat Alura and her minions?
>>
>>58253
I was planning on having the players doing their introductions before presenting quests. Then the quests would be the thieves guild, military, troll stuff I mentioned earlier.
I'll make sure to pick and choose then. I thought that was considered biased QMing for some reason.
And I just realized I completely forgot to exposition the races, thanks for that.
>>
>>58253
>One last thing: I know that you want to go for a sandbox style, but if you want the premise of the game to be that the players are adventurers/mercenaries/explorers, say so. Say that they together decided to change their lives and become adventurers, or something. Otherwise what are they gonna write? "man, my job sucks" "yeah, mine too." "mine too." and that's it.

Rereading my post, i want to be more accurate: I'm talking about expectations in the social contract.

Now, that sounds like a bullshit sentence i just made up, but follow me for a sec

You can be as sandbox as you want, but you'll still need some context. In this case, the context is what you wrote: the PCs are failures and they fucked up, and now they are in a tavern together.

This tells player exactly that much, but it doesn't tell them that, for example, they can become adventurers.

Of course they can, but players read this and go "the QM wants us to be failures in this tavern". They don't read "the QM wants us to flip our lives over and become adventurers".

Because there's a social contract, an unspoken agreement between you and the players, in every role-playing game, where you expect certain behaviors from your players, and they expect certain from you.

So, the players will generally act on your input and launch off from there. But, if you don't give them the right input, you might never get them to react the way you expect them to. You're starting them off in a depressing situation without anything immediate to hook them. If I didn't know, I'd think that your expectations are that we are to sit in a tavern and be sad for the entire quest.

Unfortunately a Quest is not like a traditional novel where you can spend some time in the normal life before the Call to Adventure, building up atmosphere or backstory. Attention span here is terrifying low, so you have to start with the Call.

All this is, of course, just my opinion.
>>
>>58259

50-50 chance that she's raped to death in the next episode.
>>
>>58284
What, right in front of Kaz? I don't think he's gonna stand for that.
>>
>>58283
The idea of them all being failures was that they were now basically blank slates. They had no expectations from anyone, no obligations or responsibility except for what they have for themselves.
I guess I could make that the call?
>>
>>58234
>episodes about nothing

This sounds disgusting.
I want each of my threads to matter and give the players the feeling that they achieved something.

I don't know, it just makes sense for you to give the players a reason to participate in as many episodes as possible.

I also try to end as many threads with cliffhangers as possible, hate me if you want to
>>
>>58289

His fan base seemed to mostly be the same people who watch slice of life anime... Not a very discerning crowd, you can nothing for hundreds of threads and they would barely notice
>>
>>58289
There's a fuck ton of other /qst/ quests that write a lot but nothing really happens, aside from long winded VN dialogue/narration ado about nothing.
>>
>>57246
I somehow thought this was a picture of aku from samurai jack from the thumbnail
>>
>>58289
I mean. What about the whole "Beach episode" concept?
>>
>>58288

But why not improve the situation?

For example:

Your players are a prisoner on a troop transport - and there's another problem. You just set the ship on fire.

From this scenario alone, you give the players a huge variety of choices. Why are they a prisoner? Why did they set the fire? Are they a spy, a criminal, a war prisoner making a noble escape? Where did they come from, and where were they going before their capture?

Most importantly, you present the players with an immediate problem to solve: how to get off this fucking boat?

Always give players an immediate issue to solve and fill in the medium and long term goals according to their playstyle.
>>
>>58289
I think that most threads should be like that, but downtime is still pretty valuable and deserves spotlight now and then. You know, sprinkle in some slice of life to make the world feel real.
>>
File: narrative arcs.png (38KB, 474x230px) Image search: [Google]
narrative arcs.png
38KB, 474x230px
Relentless action can be as boring as "nothing happens".
>>
>>55555

Lets see thks posr
>>
>>58333
Naturally, you can't go full throttle all the time, otherwise you'd burn out.

But I think those should be a rare occurance, like the reward for a job well done.

I don't want to be too judgmental though as I simply can't into slice of life
>>
>>58387
>some "quest" with a first post ending in X makes the decision resolution system

Fuck. They aren't even pretending to be decent.
>>
Dark Gate Academy Episode 3 is now up, for anyone interested. >>58400
>>
>>58403
What's even more sad is the fact that we have the pastebins here that have a ton of useful advice for upstarts but these people just flat out ignore it.
>>
>>58457
They'll get it in time. Most people on /tg/ didn't learn through pastebins, it was just osmosis over the years.
>>
>>58466
I guess you're right.

Even I ignored the pastebin the first time because I thought it wouldn't be useful.
But I was guided to the right path
>>
I miss crusader quest, whatever happened to that rapist faggot Historical fiction anyway?
>>
>>58206
Now I have my own biases against
>chargen
as well, but it seems you are so intent on "sandbox" that such a thing would fall on deaf ears.

I feel that if you're so intent on the meta-introduction, you should use it to clearly state that each person will play a different member of the party.

Then, consider that a given player will likely not sync with the hours you're online, and it will not be uncommon for only half of your party to react to a given story post.

Also, rather than a quest, I am getting more of a sense that this is closer to those Builder threads or Guild of Adventurers kind of deal. Indicate so somewhere in the title. Yes, it's okay that to not be original.

You mentioned earlier that you're trying to hammer in the idea that there are Consequences. Well, I'm not feeling it. I can't sense that death and/or dismemberment is going to be a common occurrence in the first "actual" story post, or even that all manner of people could be listening in on your supposedly friendly conversation. Completely blank slates makes it hard to take things seriously either, because at the time of creation, players aren't familiar enough with the setting to create characters who would seamlessly fit in.

In this case, going full edge actually works better for the purposes of hammering the point. Having mechanics for resolving Consequences and sticking to them also helps, because it goes a long way to making people feel that you aren't just claiming to be "hardcore" but will never have the balls to do it. The simplest of ways being what to do when a character dies, and how to swap in a new character and/or decide what to do with the now characterless player.
>>
>>58466
well THIS is going to be painful.

Who has a copy of the Rookie QM bingo board?
>>
File: QuestThreadBingo.png (165KB, 600x675px) Image search: [Google]
QuestThreadBingo.png
165KB, 600x675px
>Only one of the quests I used to follow have migrated to /qst/
>Haven't run my quest in almost a month
>Scared none of my players will show up if I run

Damn it, I feel so conflicted... I want to help this board out in some way, but I can't help but think I'll just fuck up my quest running it here...

>>58582

Yo.
>>
Well, someone beat me to posting the image.

>>58582
Needs to be modified for /qst/.

Blocks of text at text limit are a lot bigger now.

Obviously a retarded resolution system like "post ending in X decides" should be there too. Honestly I think it should be an entire line on its own.
>>
>>58595
thanks. I know not all of it is true and that some stuff will need to be edited now that quests are only competing with quests, but it's still useful.
>>
>>58595
Why not start a new one-shot quest to test the waters under a new name?
>>
>>58595
Run a side story to your main quest to check things out?
>>
>>58595
Run a oneshot, you still need to test the text-formatting stuff anyway.
>>
>>58602

I always felt that it was useful. I'm also guilty of checking off all but a few of the boxes in my first thread, but haven't we all?

>>58604
>>58610

I just might do that... Thing is, the idea I've had for a new quest could be more than a one-shot though.
>>
>>58623
You know you could just talk to your fanbase on Twitter instead of making assumptions or fearing how they may react to a /qst/ move.
>>
>>58632

None of my followers give two shits about my Twitter.
>>
>>58645
Then you must not have any followers.
>>
>>58645
What? Do you not use it to tell them when a quest is being run?
>>
>>58658

I do, actually. But none of my players would show up until 15-20 Minutes after an OP gets posted...

>>58653

I'm starting to think my "Players" is just one guy with schizophrenia and a cellphone.
>>
>>58595
Basically if any upstart reads the pastebin diligently then they can avoid most of these.

We really need to make an effort to indoctrinate people into reading that shit and we can improve the board substantially
>>
>>58667
What makes you think that anon

what quest do you run?[/spoiler
>>
>>58686

The King of Fighters: Reborn Quest. And it's mostly due to the fact that I've made every single goddamned mistake as a QM and have no self-esteem anyway, but anons seem to follow what I do so...?

I'll probably do a one-shot on Friday, get that idea I've had out in the open and just run it.
>>
>>58684
Name the next /qtg/ the "READ THE FUCKING PASTEBIN Edition"?
>>
File: qtg2.jpg (98KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
qtg2.jpg
98KB, 960x960px
>>58713

I'm cool with that.
>>
File: Header.png (182KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Header.png
182KB, 800x800px
Man, I had ideas about an Evo-thread inspired quests about a group of aliens tasked to repopulate earth with animals, but we gonna have funky shit since they scattered shit at random, like lemmings in Jungle and Turtles in Tundra and they like to spice things up with events. I like to use some rolls to make the game more intrresting, any ideas?

Some of my ideas so far includes
>Using the rolls for fighting a [calamity beast]
Alien pets which acts similar to extinction events, killing off the species that failed a roll against it 3 times. Maybe Carnivore would had +1 to each roll, and herbivore would have to be defeated 4 times to be killed off.
>Surviving typical natural disaster,and benefitting from it.
Rolling critical numbers not only cause your creature to survive, it also would give them some advantage such as stronger immunity or something
>(Maybe) roll 1d12 EVERYTIME you posted a creature, with 1 making the evolution annuled.

anything else that could spice up the Evo games?
>>
>>58753
What if the MC is one of the aliens instead?

Think about it: he is the person charged with repopulating the planet with its original inhabitants but he gets bored and decides to fuck with the ecosystem instead
>>
>>58753
Sounds cool as shit

Would attend
>>
>>58774
Yeah, thats basically the plot. But it was the supervisor that decided to play games in order to boost ratings of the the Repopulation Game Show back home.
Playing around the ecosystem sounds fun, but seems like out of my league, Im running this game with the rule of cool as its bible anyway

maybe each evolutions done and events would accumulate Evo Points for you to improve creatures after each Calamity Events?
>>
>>58785
Thats the thing, The Librarian said that he would return within 1-2 days in the last thread, to start the continuation of the game and I dont want to steal the spotlight, since I want to play that one as well. But lets see.
>>
>>58812
Which ones the librarian?
>>
File: 1425403134722.jpg (111KB, 1058x705px) Image search: [Google]
1425403134722.jpg
111KB, 1058x705px
>>58798
Okay, here's a little challange for you.

Make the quest a bit meta.
Tell your players that they'll take the role of the alien population who are watching a TV show on their home planet of Yggsharon and they can influence the events that happen in this hype, new reality tv show by making votes at their home.
>>
>>58024
Space ConQuest "Test Run" Edition is live! If you guys are interested in some light 4X space conquest come check it out!

>>58767
>>
>>58850
So it's like that Earth show from South Park?
>>
>>58850
Mildly reminds me of a horrible idea I had about a quest that involves being a super technologically advanced alien competing with other members of their belligerent race for galactanet subscribers with videos on screwing with lesser races or conquering them/giving them weird tech and telling their viewers to hit the like button because it helps them out a lot.
>>
File: Bzoll.png (26KB, 462x399px) Image search: [Google]
Bzoll.png
26KB, 462x399px
>>58819
The first and the last one here in /qst/
>>14465

>>58850
This actually might help me address some issues and help me build narratives. Might actually use this, instead of the researcher gimmick

All of these things that I planned may benefit from a more complex creature photoshot. How's this?
>>
>>59040
Yeah your arts probably already going to guarantee i take part in some way
>>
So, has any jokster tried a "my wife's son" quest yet?
>>
>>58284
>>58286
>six months of getting more and more annoyed with her
Man, this will be fucking cathartic.
>>
File: Dungeon Life Quest.png (194KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Dungeon Life Quest.png
194KB, 500x500px
Hey folks. Gonna be running a one-shot here on /qst/ to get a feel for the board, set in the same world as Dungeon Life Quest. I'll link 'er on Friday when I get started, aiming at 2 PM EST or so. I'm gonna try to make it so you don't need to have known the world to play, but if you feel like reading up anyway, you'll find my archives here: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Dungeon%20Life%20Quest

I look forward to seein' folks there.
>>
>>58547
Can someone explain to me what being meta is in the context of quests here?
>>
>>59139
Think of Deadpool talkign to the audience and his little yellow boxes.
>>
>>59139
So when I talk about Paradisium in my intro post, don't describe as if it's an RPG, describe it as an actual place?
>>
>>59153
Never, EVER speak out of character.

Stay in character, describe stuff as it's happening right in front of you.

You want to keep people immersed in your story and the way to do that is to stay in character and take the quest seriously.

Being whacky, 4th wall breaking and meta is fine as long as you are running a comedy or gag quest but for anything serious it's a taboo
>>
>>59145
I still want that ASoIaF quest where you're a Deadpool-esque Sellsword that breaks the 4th wall, talks with the players, and makes silly references.
>>
File: Floazovan.png (99KB, 937x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Floazovan.png
99KB, 937x1024px
>>58774
>>58785
>>58850
>>59073

>Badabing-badaboom
Lets -- Get -- Peacefully -- Fun!

With Matsukur from Suhaeb District,as your host
Guide Ardh's helpless animals back to their glory with every every every call!
With various obstacle along the way
And danger of Manus that may..or may not be extinct!
Come a participatory fun courtesy of Alienatian Governers and Enamde Outer Alliance

Series Premier
EVO GAMES ft Matsukur
17 United Timesour until 23 United Timesour
Only on GOV.RA.DAGRI

>Badabing-badaboom
Lets -- Get -- Peacefully -- Fun!
>>
>>59199
....okay, now THIS is a fucking hook.
>>
>>59178
If it wasn't done already by Deadpool, I'd totally run Dramatic Princesses Rescue Quest like that.
>>
>>59212
I need to get some planning for this setting's first
maybe 1 or 2 days later this 'show' will finally goes on air

If you have any suggestion about the setting or gameplay, or maybe combat like I initially said in >>58753 pls shoot right away
I need to sleep now
bye, /qst/ my newset favorite board
>>
>>59199
What kind of dadaragons faggotry is this supposed to be?
>>
>>59175
Wasn't trying to speak out of character, thought I was sounding like some omniscient being or whatever. But I see you point, thanks.
>>
>>59229
well not just you, but ALL OF YOU that had ideas pls shoot right away, will check again in couple hours
thanks!
>>
>>59199
Now this is what I'm talking about!

Looks like you figured it out, draw people in by whatever means (confusion is one of the best hooks out there)

Also make sure to use your Rick and Morty style gibberish properly.
Nonsense is fine at first but creative wordplay, such as mispronuanciations of existing words will get you creative points
>>
hey

we are back
>>54683
>>54683
>>54683
>>
File: Hero-Quest-game-board.jpg (384KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Hero-Quest-game-board.jpg
384KB, 1600x1200px
Two question:
Would there be interest for Hero Quest Quest? Really just playing of a game in a thread with players deciding hero actions. Got myself a near-mint box in a garage sale. Probably run in a week or two, kind of busy this weekend.

Secod - does anybody have that Transmetropolitan edit with spider explaining questing? Pretty please with sugar on top.
>>
>>59380
Heck I'd play it.
/qst/ needs a bit more quests directly linked to actual pre-existing games. I've just seen Exalted, Traveller and Shadowrun for now.
>>
>>59380
I don't doubt there would be. If you want an idea of how such a thing could be done, look up Lego Quest (for taking pictures of things in action) and the Arkham Asylum play-quests (which had multiple players, but are still applicable).
>>
>>59412
I've been contemplating running a quest based on Everyone Is John. Given the board's use of IDs it could actually work to differentiate between different voices.
>>
So far it has been a very interesting experiance.

Though some quests seem to be a little samey, I can't fault creative abillity.

It's unique and isn't actually nothing.
Its got the potential for some pretty cool things. A well prepared anon who has a Quest design document already planned out could make something great.
>>
>>59437
It's like starting a new settlement in Dwarf Fortress. Everybody is flailing about and wondering what the hell to do next, but when things get more organized, it's time to STRIKE THE EARTH.
>>
>>59139
I don't want to read you talking. I want to read the story. If something sounds like you talking it's immersion breaking.
>>
>Begin quest premise dump.

Dramatic Princesses Rescue Quest!

This is a single shot, potentially multiepisodic quest (most likely no more than three, possibly only one). It contains magic, fighting, heroics, blood, maiming, death, and princesses. Also girls loving girls and not you. Or boys. Or other girls for that matter. Because they're in love.

While the heroine does not take herself too seriously, the players should take the quest seriously, as failure can result in terrible, terrible consequences. Not just for the heroine, but for her girlfriend and possibly the universe. Yes, the whole universe.

Because this is ¡¡ Dramatic Princesses Rescue Quest ‼ , not Happy Fun Time With No Bad End Possible Quest.

>Formatting removed for ease of reading.
>End quest premise dump.

>All princesses are guaranteed below the age of 18 and above the age of 14. No animals were harmed in the making of this quest except the QM. This quest is gluten free.
>>
>>59437
>>59478
As an aside, how long until the board pops its cherry and gets a Breaker Quest?
>>
>>59580
>This quest is gluten free.

Dropped.
>>
>>58667
>But none of my players would show up until 15-20 Minutes after an OP gets posted...
You think everyone has blinking lights on their phones and can stop working to read your updates?
>>
>>59621
Damnit! I knew I should have left the gluten in.
>>
>>56872
I'd follow your quest. You should link here when you start up.
>>
>>56963
I would love a mass effect quest.
>>
>>59175
What about serious, Grant Morisson-tier fourth wall breaking moments?
>>
>>59580
>This quest is gluten free.

Picked up.
>>
>>59990
Grant Morrison is a pretentious hack though, and while he had good moments in his career any attempts at emulating him is just going to get a roll of the eyes.
>>
>>58667
This is actually pretty normal you know. Even with twitter it's not unusual for 5-30 minutes to pass before you get responses sometimes. Life happens.
>>
>>60274
>implying
>>
>>59587
The second Breaker Quest started its "hiatus" nearly two years ago, so, somewhere between never and not for a good while?
>>
>>59580
What kind of bad ends are we talking? Not as terrible as being grounded I hope.

Anyway, sure, sounds fun.
>>
>>60628
Oh, summary execution, rape, murder, being trapped in a timeless space for all eternity, disintegration, mutation, the usual. Nothing nearly as bad as what you suggested, you sick bastard.
>>
>>59990
I can think of a few quests like that. Vale Quest started with some pretty egregious fourth-wall breaking moments.

Then again, Vale Quest was all about the fourth wall.
>>
>>47385
They called them out, but their call outs turned out to be false.
The lesbians are everywhere meme is just that, a meme.
>>
>>60721
Oh is that all?
>>
>>60818
Well, it is Dramatic.

Teen princesses are drama whores after all.
>>
>>60832
You make a good point.

I admit to slight worry over trolls steering things towards bad ends though.
>>
>>60856
I doubt that will be the case. That would not lead to Fun.

And there is the fact that the bad ends work in both directions....she's a princess On A Mission, and the Heroine, after all.
>>
>>60902
But why would trolls care about Fun either way?
Well, I might be worried for nothing.
>>
>>60721
I need more time loops in quests so that we can fail extravagantly without permanent repercussion.
>>
>>60938
That's what I'm planning for crits. You don't have critical fails and critical successes, you have critical dramatic incidents that are angled in favor of one side or the other but don't end the situation instantly.

Time loops might be an option though. It is one of the possible powers.
>>
File: tegaki.png (5KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
5KB, 400x400px
Any good spooky quests? Preferably of the drawn variety.

I just want someone to scratch the Ruby/Nan Quest itch now that Weaver has gone full retard.
>>
>>61351
Google Maps Quest is so good that I'm seriously thinking about resigning from the QM business because clearly, as our distant ancestors used to say in years gone by, "the internet has already been won".

...but, really, it's not in the style of RQ.
>>
File: jian-guo-lotr-art-1.jpg (353KB, 600x840px) Image search: [Google]
jian-guo-lotr-art-1.jpg
353KB, 600x840px
You know something no one has realized is we don't need to put quest in the subject field anymore because we're not being courteous to /tg/.

Just sayin'.

Also I'm thinking of running a strategy quest, not a civ quest, but one more focused on the characters involved kinda like Empire Quest from way back when if anyone remembers that.

Any interest for that?
>>
File: tegaki.png (6KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
6KB, 400x400px
>>61351
Am I really gonna have to reread Ruby for the fifth time?
>>
>>61835
On the upside you don't have to wait for any updates. And you won't have to suffer arguing with other players, either.
>>
>>61854
Yeah, you'll just be muttering at the monitor instead. Getting annoyed at their terrible decisions and reasoning, but not have even the illusions of influencing either.
>>
File: tegaki.png (12KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
12KB, 400x400px
>>61854
t-true, but I know the story scene-by-scene at this point
>>
>>59235
Why do none of you ungrateful shitfetuses not appreciate creativity?
>>
File: tegaki.png (958B, 149x149px) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
958B, 149x149px
>>61972
If you're desperate for draw quests that might be spooky you could try tgchan.
>>
I've been thinking, has anyone thought about doing a Groundhog Day quest? I feel like that shit could be good in the right hands, but that's true about most things.
>>
File: deja vu quest.png (159KB, 300x251px) Image search: [Google]
deja vu quest.png
159KB, 300x251px
>>62055
I've looked at tgchan a few times, and I've enjoyed a couple quests there, but most of them are furry garbage.

>>62059
Somebody started one at one point, but he couldn't draw enough players.

It was pretty spooky too
>>
>>60274
I'm talking about those weird fourth wall moments where the panel gets that weird stereoscopic visual effect, and that thing in Multiversity.
>>
>go to tgchan
>first thread on the page is Dragon Romance - a NSFW quest
tgchan was a mistake
>>
>>62093
See, yeah, a quest like that has a lot of potential for spooks. You're already limiting agency by making it so that all your actions the day prior reset, so nothing sticks except for what skills you learn while in the reset. I would love to see anons experiment with something like that, like maybe majority vote was to see how far we could get before the day reset or try and observe why it is you retain knowledge from the reset day.
>>
>>61351
Look up The Book of Worms on tgchan. I'd link it but my phone is being garbage. It's a completed quest and it's got annelids, trepannation and a guy on the run from a spooky dream librarian
>>
File: STUG LIFE MOTHERFUCKER.jpg (53KB, 550x358px) Image search: [Google]
STUG LIFE MOTHERFUCKER.jpg
53KB, 550x358px
So I asked about potential quest ideas earlier, and after settling on the post-apocalyptic setting I now need your help fleshing out factions. I have a few basic ideas on what the factions are but I've only been able to come up with ideas for the Neo-Nazis and USSR remnants. I'm looking for ANYTHING, this includes:
>Characters/Crews (if for certain factions then list the faction)
>Groups inside certain factions (squads, social groups, bandit groups, etc)
>General ideas on things that can be added to factions.
But anyways, let's get to the setting and factions:
=================
>Setting:
The nukes fell between 1970-1990 and now survivors in Europe carve out survival in the ruins. Tanks are mainly used as they are great at covering the blasted terrain, carry the requisite radiation shielding to go into radiation hot-spots and are heavenly armoured against the mutated beasts that roam the land (including giant spiders). People live in pockets that can range from small subway stations to small cities (I must stress the SMALL part as they tend to get VERY over-crowded).
=================
>Factions:
---------------
>4th reich
Neo-nazis, same shit as the 3rd reich. down to the constant surveillance of the population, cult leadership, genocide and inhumane testing. The few pockets that are open to outsiders are hauntingly clean and with TOO happy citizens.

They mostly use either upgraded WW2 tanks or post-war west German tanks.
---------------
>NSSR
Neo-communists. Made up of the reminants of the old USSR, they drink hard and fight hard. Mostly because if they don't then they'll be sent to either the gulags or the eastern frontier. The eastern frontier is central and eastern Russia and Siberia. Its infested with giant, man eating spiders which only take prisoners so they can use them to to incubate eggs. Death is slow so most soldiers either fight to the death or wear suicide vests (that don't always work).

They mostly use soviet tanks.
---------------
>NATO reminants
The old remains of NATO troops scattered around the wasteland. Most of them swear allegiance to their home pockets but they will defend eachother.

They usually use tanks from NATO countries, but some captured Reich and NSSR tanks are used in either logistical or propaganda roles.
---------------

>>CONT
>>
File: M551_Sheridan.jpg (169KB, 986x690px) Image search: [Google]
M551_Sheridan.jpg
169KB, 986x690px
>>62687
>Rangers
A fast response volunteer outfit. They don't pay much but cover maintenance and repairs. They are well liked around the wasteland and this usually makes them welcome in many pockets. And their cell based structure means that a group can be disavowed at any time.

The group mainly uses an assortment light or otherwise fast tanks in order to be able to respond quickly to people who need help.
---------------
>Warrior company
Kinda like the Minutemen, except that they don't help for free. Everything has a price and they are just as likely to put down a rebellion as they are to support it. They pay their employees well and provide maintenance support, but heavy repairs are paid for by the crew.

They use a wide assortment of tanks, provided that they are in working order.
---------------
>Freelancers
Crews that swear no allegence to a particular group, these freelancers are standard groups. 100% of the money paid for a job goes to the crew, but also has to cover repairs and living costs.

Freelancers use every tank under the sun, or that they can get their hands on.
---------------
>Bandits
Just generally the assholes of the wastelands, they are cast out by the more "civilised" survivor pockets and instead they forge their own paths in blood. They are ruthless and brutal to the extreme. Unlike the other groups, barely any of them have tanks. Instead they rely on conventional cars outfitted with all manner of weapons and armour (think human orks). Those few that own tanks are always the most brutal in their groups, and it's all to common to see these bandit tanks race into battle with their old crews chained to the sides as trophies.

Bandits are most often seen with old WW2 tanks, or any other type of thank that is easy to repair and maintain. They also use all manner of pre-war converted civilian vehicles, like armoured battle buses.

Any help, such as ideas, feedback and other stuff is appreciated.
>>
>>62059
>>62093
>>62267
>Groundhog Day quest
I used to have an idea for a quest like that. Sorta Fantasy-Science Fiction. Let me see if I can dig it up from my notes.

---
Several kingdoms have governed the continent for centuries of peace and conflict. However, one day all off them were faced with a grim reality when massive hordes of dark and twisted creatures came pouring and leaping out from the Abyss below. Some Kingdoms decided to fend for themselves and were swallowed whole by the enraged hordes. The Three major Kingdoms banded together to fight this threat against their existence. Slowly, but surely, they started to lose more and more land and cities to these creatures, pushing the front lines further and further towards the Capitals.

After the fall of its capital and the massacre that ensued, the Kingdom of Wallenz fell. The Two remaining Kingdom's felt cornered. It was at this time that a female Adept wielding the force of Biotics from the Church of Atlas, a religious organization that worshipped the technology of the ATLAS exosuit that was considered taboo to use because of its mortality rate, stepped forward with a plan to invade the Abyss and strike at the heart of these creatures. Desperation and fear ruled the survivors, so the two Kings agreed and gave the woman a sizeable host made up of soldiers from both sides and some willing survivors/refugees from the fallen Kingdom of Wallenz.

They made for the Abyss, a subterranean underworld spanning across the entire continent!

---

They found a suitable spot to burrow down into the ground with their machines and they would journey into the core from there. They lead a foray into the Abyss and during the first battle down there, you're killed. However, upon dying, you find yourself back on the surface again, dozing off by a rock close to one of the encampments of the large host, awoken by someone kicking you. Time has reset!
>>
File: 1415858927844.png (9KB, 426x364px) Image search: [Google]
1415858927844.png
9KB, 426x364px
>>62470
Oh, I remember I started reading this at one point. Not sure why I dropped it, although the art does veer a little too far into furville.

I'll give it another go.
>>
File: 1449857507785.jpg (21KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1449857507785.jpg
21KB, 250x250px
>>62470
>>62803

>reading toxo quests
>>
>>63528
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>61675
We realized. We're just not assholes and we have every reason to maintain our policy in order not to annoy people who are filterign quests.

Only trolls spam boards. Quest runners don't need the extra grief caused by not being polite. Making quests without the quest tag annoys the portion of /tg/ who doesn't care about quests but isn't vitriolic and hateful about it. It's like puttign general ina thread. Some people don't like generals. It's courtesy.

Being courteous is what makes us better than the antiquest fags.
>>
>>64502
They meant quests on /qst/. But uh... How's the view from up there? I've never seen someone climb a horse of that height so fast before.
>>
>>64538
To be fair f a m that post could be taken either way.
>>
>>61675
They're still quests though. What else could we call them?
>>
>>59587

The problem with Breaker is that it kept dancing around the smut. The MC should have been fucked by the end of the first chapter, to get over that hurdle. Give her some deep, anonymous dick and go from there.
>>
>>64556
He means that you can give your quests proper titles now without appending "quest" anywhere.

It's an aesthetic thing.
>>
I'm kinda tempted to start my own quest but I really don't know what to run.

So far I have 2 main ideas. One of them is a quest based on King of Fighters where instead of Kyo, you inherit the kusanagi flames but you want nothing to do with orochi and shit like that.

Of course to sweeten the pot there will be female iori

The second is based off a old semi fluffed worldbuilding thread via these links.
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/37101255/
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/26667329/
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/26728511/
>>
File: mach quest.jpg (693KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
mach quest.jpg
693KB, 1280x854px
Did anons enjoy this first thread of Mach Quest?

>56700

I always appreciate comments or thoughts.
>>
This place active enough to survive? Maybe I'm just being impatient or something but it looks a tad quiet.
>>
>>64654
people are still kinda pissed me thinks
>>
>>64654
It was always going to quiet down after the initial rush of people.
>>
>>64654
Quests in general seem to have slowed down. Better to let them live out the rest of their days in a comfy retirement home where they can get the specialized care they need.

/tg/ can always come visit.
>>
>>64654
It's only going to go downhill from now on.

Right now we are in the sweet spot where the anti-quest fags got bored of pointlessly griefing with us and there is also a new influx of people who just got exposed to quests with the creation of the board.

Soon the novelty will wear off and it'll be even slower.
But this was to be expected, quests are pretty niche
>>
File: 1461021782760s.jpg (18KB, 250x247px) Image search: [Google]
1461021782760s.jpg
18KB, 250x247px
>>64664
>>64676
>>64687
>>64694

Well shit, that is pretty depressing. I've even noticed that some QMs have dropped out entirely and shit from this, a strange moment in time I suppose. Wonder if this place will still be around when I finally decide to run that quest I've been working on.
>>
>>64538
My bad.

And it really isn't a high horse thing. It is just polite.

Here on the other hand, you're absolutely correct. We're just used to calling them quests - we have been doing so for a very long time after all.
>>
>>64576
so i guess nobody has any comments for my quest concepts?
>>
>>64734
lots of people are sleeping, board is slow

King of fighters quest looks kinda bad, don't run it

Too bored to watch the other one, but know that people prefer fanfic than OC quest, y'know since they have a point of reference
>>
>>64734
Not quite sure how to help you out buddy, slow board and I'm a goddamn greenhorn. That said, >>64739 seems to have the idea.
>>
>>64687
Rather than saying "quests have slowed down", I like to think they stabilized. They exploded, relatively speaking, around 2014 I like to think. There was a new quest every day and most of them didn't survive past half a dozen threads.
>>
>>64767
>"Sir, our thrusters are all out of juice, none of the power cells are responding, half the crew is dead or MIA, and we're falling into oblivion, what can we do?!"
>"Yes. We've stabilized now."
>"Sir it's stable decaying orbit into the wormhole, just look at the readings!"
>"Don't bother pilot. We don't need eyes where we're going."
>"This was our destination all along."
>>
>>60485
That's not an answer.
There've been half a dozen Breaker Quests with a bunch of different QMs.

It's not a questing platform without at least one Breaker Quest.
>>
was braids grenades story removed or did it reach page 10?
>>
>>64845
>half a dozen
That couldn't be right.
>EGO
>Boo
>fae
>Darkness Extrapolated
>EGO 2.0
>World of Lewdness
Fuck, there really are at least half a dozen and I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting at least one.

Truly /qst/ needs its own duckride.
>>
File: 1423375361994.jpg (88KB, 772x397px) Image search: [Google]
1423375361994.jpg
88KB, 772x397px
>>64839
>>
>>64881
It's was the auto-sage caused by the 72-hour time limit.

Yeah I know. It was pretty lewd.
>>
File: 138221884841.jpg (863KB, 600x9827px) Image search: [Google]
138221884841.jpg
863KB, 600x9827px
>>63528
Or looking at them, who would do that?

>>64392
Toxoglossa is the author.
>>
>>42843
This board is pure autism.

AND I FUCKING LOVE IT
>>
>ran 4-8 quests
>every single one of them ended in utter failure

should i just give up by now?
>>
>>65101
It's just that the audience here is fucking minuscule in comparison to other boards. Residual salt and belligerence and all that.

Also, it depends on what you were trying to do.

Which quests?
>>
>>65109
>It's just that the audience here is fucking minuscule in comparison to other boards.
I'd say that it's normal considering how young the board is compared to others. I would bet that half of the site's userbase doesn't even know that /qst/ exists.
>>
>>65109
you name it

>various donut steels
>2 fallouts
>1 xcom

and currently in my dark souls quest. I waited about an hour and a half waiting for a reply but no one came . These kind of stuff are kind of disappointing.
>>
>>65101
Probably you aren't fit for this job.

Which quests have you followed ?
>>
>>65121
none.

I don't enjoy being the player although i did have some fun in the cultural one but i barely participated in it.
>>
>>65124
Then there you have it.

You are just some clueless bastard who doesn't even know what he is doing.
Your homework: lurk moar

Go to suptg and start reading quests that have a rating above 15 and use them as reference, both long and short ones.

Also: READ THE FUCKING PASTE
>>
>>65124
How can you understand this medium if you don't take the player prospective ?
Every Qm was and still is a player. Find a good successfull Quest and learn from his creator.

>in b4 spoonfeed me on good quests
>>
>>65120
I'm not interested in Fallout.

Souls would have to wait until I'm done playing 2 and 3(ie. never because I have no fucking time)

XCOM would be nice IF your mechanics are solid, but judging from >>65124 I have significant doubts, and with the large number of quests to parse through I don't have enough spare fucks to give for anything crunchy at the moment, anyway.
>>
>>65132
>>65126
i do lurk but i rarely participate. I just find it tedious, being the player, that is.

But you are right, both of you. I can't deny that.

>>65134
The mechanics were serviceable but it was kind of a mess to keep track of.

I have a glaring problem; I tend to burn myself out real quick ,other wise, i will lose the spark. I can't find a good medium between them.
>>
>>65144
Stick to one shorts and short quests rather than long ones. Give a defined gal, and make the journey from start to finish the enjoayable part of the quest - say, a single XCom mission, rather than world survival/eradication of all aliens.
>>
>>65144
>but it was kind of a mess to keep track of.
then it's not serviceable.

You make mechanics for YOURSELF just as much as you make it for players.
>>
>>65144
Running a quest, just like running a tabletop rpg, takes experience, time, effort, know-how and dedication.

Lurk more. Read good, popular quests. Don't just read them to enjoy them: read them to learn what they did right.

Then reread your failed quests and other failed quests on this board, and try and spot what they did wrong.

Learn from your and others' mistakes.

But, honestly: if you're the sort of person who burns out quickly and tends to lose interest, then either try and run a self-contained quest that will last only a few threads and reach a definite end before your attention span is over, or learn how to focus better... or give up now and save yourself the trouble.
>>
>>65154
I tried 2-3 one shot quests. they were a bit more successful and more satisfying

Ideally,This is the most sensible solution to my problem. However, I got this urges to take a step further and turn said one shot to a full quest which is doomed from the start.

I will see what will become of my souls quest. I really don't this one to fail. Should it happen, I will stick to short quests until i feel confident enough to start actual quest.
Thank you anons for your advice
>>
>>64694
>>64710
Reminder that the mod expected this: a spike in traffic producing what he called "garbage" (his words, not mine), followed by a dropoff in traffic (presumably because a quest takes sustained effort to write). At that point he fully expected the board to become "comfy and well-behaved" (again, his words).

The difference between said moderator and most people who have actually run or played a quest in the last eight years or so is that he thinks that can be sustained. Most of the rest of us realize that a few dozen QMs spread throughout the week can't support a board where there are no other topics of discussion and where general discussion of quests is contained to a single general. Maybe if we all ran once a day we could create that content, but we can't. Half the QMs we've got would be burned out at any given point even without taking into account the fact that we're real people, and occasionally have to take time out of our week to do people things.
>>
>>65193
If all the QMs on both twitters ran every day on this specific board, we would barely make the board serviceable.
>>
>>65255
And if the dinosaurs didn't go extinct then we could be riding them.

What you are suggesting is so ludicrous I can't believe you actually thought it'd be viable.

What >>65193 said is true.
Questing by nature is not something that can be regulated like that.
Both you and the guy who created this board are delusional for thinking otherwise
>>
>>65271
It was a statement, not a suggestion, dear. Calm down please.
>>
File: Bzollters.png (3KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Bzollters.png
3KB, 200x200px
>>59040
>>59199

HAHA! Ihave managedto stealan incomingshow planfrom governmentchannel!
Ifyou wantto tryplay, thencome toour channelhere here! >>65261
Itmay bewonky, buthey letstry thisbaby out!
>>
>>64892
Don't tempt me, I did my part already.
>>
>>65319
Do it, you know you want to.
>>
>>65282
The way your typing is rather offputting
>>
>>65320
But people found my weird magical realm transgender fetishy near/actual rape of magical girls too much!
>>
>>65341
There's no such thing as too much. If people think it's too much then clearly you just haven't gone far enough to mind break them yet.
>>
>>65340
In a good way, or annoying one? Just trying to build a character here and maybe a bit carried away since this is my first time QM-ing
>>
>>65361
I see what your trying to do but its offputting in that i wouldnt want to be subjected to it for long so i wont really be participating.

Dont change it up though just because of me, you do you man and enjoy running
>>
>>65371
I can try toning it down. It was initially came from a typo,that I think might be fun

Just check upon us sometimes, It can be fun.. maybe
>>
>Feedback thread is unstickied
Soo... is the mod ever going to listen to us again or no?
>>
>>65350
I can't keep more mindbroken pets, I haven't even got room for the ones I DO have!
>>
>>65397
Of course not.
>>
This is unfun. I haven't seen a quest here whose update time is less than an hour.
>>
>>65397
>again
>>
>>65437
Perhaps you should run one then.
>>
>>65437
That's because anyone worth their salt still runs on /tg/
>>
>>65456
To be fair a FEW things were addressed. But it was like touching up the paint on a barn after the horse has already left, won the Triple Crown, been set out to stud, and died of old age.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d2)

Testing coin.
>>
Rolled 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 = 25 (25d1)

>>65750
Testing a bunch of not-coins
>>
>>65578
*That's because everyone full of salt still runs on /tg/

ftfy
>>
>>65746
Except in this case, the horse was shot dead inside the barn and some people still think it's alive.
>>
>>65788
Whats the point of splitting your archives on the off chance qst fails? Better to keep them all together until a verdict is made.
>>
>>56353
>oing a good anime-based quest would bring up the topic in /a/
You're clearly not from /a/
>>
>>65814
>on the off chance qst fails
I hope it doesn't in the long run. I think the board has A LOT of potential, maybe even some additional features if the Hiro and the mods feel a bit generous. I still think the main issue of the site is the relatively small userbase.

The board is only a week old and it will probably take a few weeks, maybe months before people hear or find out about it.
>>
>>65869
>The board is only a week old and it will probably take a few weeks, maybe months before people hear or find out about it.

Ehh. Honestly this might be the most people we will get since we have curious people checking out the new board and experimenting. Once the novelty wears off, I expect it to be slower.
>>
>>65863
And quests coming up on /a/ is NOT something you want. Holy shit they get saltier than /tg/ ever does by an order of magnitude.
>>
>>65890
Can confirm. Quested on /a/. Got hypertension through osmosis.
>>
>>65900
Guess you could say it's in the water over there
>>
>>65900
Unless you're planefag and you're only happy when you're pissing /a/ off, it's a terrible experience.

>>65883
Again, this is even what the mod who made the place said would happen. But apparently, I'm told this is what we wanted?

He did it for us after all, so I must have wanted it.
>>
>>65883
I always think of new boards the same way when I look at 4chan's history as a whole. 4chan started off by mimicking a very specific Japanese forum style. More than a decade later it gave birth to countless new types of threads/boards, ideas and memes.

That's what I think about /qst/, for now it's just a board to have quests on. I would really like to see people get creative and think of game concept or systems that are specific and works well with 4chan's thread style. It might lead to new and interesting types of games, not only quests.

The title could possibly use a name change, something like "Forum quests & games", or something along those lines. So that people know that a wide variety of writing and game styles are encouraged.

Just my thoughts on the current state of things
>>
>>65957
/tg/ is better for all of this, though
>>
I feel like advertisement of related quests on /qst/ on other boards should be a thing.

But what about talk back threads? When discussion for a quest keeps going after it's done running. It happens sometimes with really popular quests. Should those be on /qst/ or on another board?
>>
Still not sure if I should run here instead of /tg/. Doing it just because I wanna support the board doesn't seem enough enough of a reason. I've only been running my quest for 2 sessions on /tg/ and I don't want it to die early due to lack of audience.

Please /qtg/, convince me.
>>
>>66188
Just run a one-shot here or something.
>>
The ordinary spoilers annoy me an unreasonable amount
>>
>>66184
>But what about talk back threads? When discussion for a quest keeps going after it's done running. It happens sometimes with really popular quests. Should those be on /qst/ or on another board?

No? Just keep it in the thread. We have 750 bump limit, 3 days autosage and a slow as fuck board that'll take half a day or more to fall off.
>>
New thread of Dark Gate Academy is up. >>66302
>>
I'm starting the next session of Lemontree City Quest in 30 - 60 minutes.
>>
>>66188
don't move it here. It will die. I have a following - one third showed up here. We'll see if the yurifans show up at all later today
>>
>>66188
>Still not sure if I should run here instead of /tg/. Doing it just because I wanna support the board doesn't seem enough enough of a reason. I've only been running my quest for 2 sessions on /tg/ and I don't want it to die early due to lack of audience.

I tried running a "fresh" quest here a few days ago and it was slow but had enough players to survive, and it was a very obscure sort of quest to begin with.

Then I brought my main quest with established readers here and it ran just as well as it would've run on /tg/.

A friend of mine who ran a quest with a very small pool of players on /tg/ actually had his players increase on /qst/.

I don't know, man, but I think it's worth a try. Especially if your players follow you via twitter or something rather than simply hanging around.
>>
File: teamsvscivilwarposter.jpg (613KB, 1280x1896px) Image search: [Google]
teamsvscivilwarposter.jpg
613KB, 1280x1896px
Have we made this joke yet?
>>
>>66632
No.

Edit in QMs and QMCs.
>>
>>66207
>>66526
>>66569
I feel like I'm getting mixed messages here. Have the results of this board really varied this wildly?
>>
File: Carrion Braffs.png (158KB, 510x339px) Image search: [Google]
Carrion Braffs.png
158KB, 510x339px
If you want to try your luck at moving our animals to selected areas at myprivate lands for fun andgames andevoluton, then just go right-ahead!
Do it while Im gone for a timemoment, since when I came back, I cameback with Events!
>>66595
>>
>>66677
Seemed obvious to me, it's been up for something like a week, everyone's going in with different expectations and experiences to skewer their opinion on it if they're going in at all, there're half a dozen unpredictable or unknown factors deciding how things go here and our knowledge of quests on /tg/ was completely based off of anonymous observation in the first place.

Worse yet anything we "confirm" right now might not be true in a month, the general expectation is that player turn-out will drop as the novelty wears off but as far as fact goes we can't predict shit.
>>
>>66677
Big name QMs like Exalted are going to be fine. People will click on the twitter link instead of touching the board. New, small-time QMs get fucked.
>>
>>66719
Paid banner ads pointing to /qst/: good?
>>
>>66928

Waste of time and money. You're not going to direct more traffic here than the announcement did.
>>
>>66928
Next up: a popularity spike in QM patreons.
>>
>>66719
>We can't predict shit

Welcome to any analysis ever. Doesn't make it worthless
>>
>>66943
Doesn't really seem feasible.

I mean hell, would a patreon for some kind of QM Alliance even work?
>>
>>66677

I ran a test quest (Black Library) and did fine. Got between 2 and 5 players.

I think everyone is panicking for no reason. The average posts per day has been tracking upwards steadily even after the initial burst of posting.

Everyone should just be patient.
>>
>>66953

>QMs uniting in any kind of productive fashion

Haha, nice one
>>
>>66955
For most quests, your first thread is your most successful
>>
>>66955
>I think everyone is panicking for no reason. The average posts per day has been tracking upwards steadily even after the initial burst of posting.

I agree.

Quests with a minimum of effort and skill behind them get players. (like yours for example)

Zero-effort quests with no originality or creativity, and badly written or organized quests, drop off the board.

This is not rocket science.
>>
>>66973
And how much of that was the sticky?
>>
File: oy vey!.png (71KB, 538x269px) Image search: [Google]
oy vey!.png
71KB, 538x269px
The experimental test run of Space ConQuest is slowly starting up for a new session, depending on the amount of old and possibly new players that might join, the game will start in 20 minutes or so.

Feel free to lurk and enjoy the show and possibly become a substitute, no guarantees though.

In any case, trade agreements must be made!

>>58767
>>
>>66947
I wouldn't call the current whispers any analysis. It's all conjecture. There's a lot being said in thread by every side that's at best based on isolated experience, which means little, and a lot that's based on nothing at all, which is worth nothing.
>>
>>66953
>Doesn't really seem feasible.
That is precisely where the jape rests.
>>
>>66984
I have absolutely no idea.
>>
>>67032
See you in August. Hope you prove me wrong.

But when planefag gets 80 IPs while the new board smell is strong, I'm rather confident in my prediction.
>>
>>67066
Planefag is kind of an outlier to everything.
>>
>>67066
It's worth-noting that it was Planefag, whose playerbase is largely separate from most of the quest playerbase by all accounts and expressed a strong opposition to /qst/ right from the start of things.

It's also probably worth noting that very little of the thread was actually spent running the quest.
>>
>>67077
And XS?
>>
>>67066
Planefag is something else though, he's not the sort of thing you should make accurate estimates with.
There are New QMs, Old QMs, Hiatus QMs, Moe QMs, Dead QMs, Salty QMs, Multitrip QMs, Headpat QMs, Troll QMs, Boring QMs, Red QMs, Blue QMs, Gold QMs, Draw QMs, Smart QMs, and Stupid QMs.

However- in a dark void severed from all those ultimately mundane people, there exists the creature that is Planefag. Ruling over an incomprehensible realm whose power level entry requirements, in spite of being not quite that high, manage to turn away even the most robust of players from his witch ordained hellscape.

An altogether different form of animal; is it really even a QM, you might wonder, as it devours its prey without restraint.
>>
>>66328
Continuing >>58736
>>
>>67066
Was the 80 before or after he ended early?
>>
Here we go again

>>54683
>>54683
>>54683
>>
>>67167
>Moe QMs
Who's the cutest QM?
>>
>>67375
Hex
>>
>>67384
Former QMs don't count.
>>
>>67384
Wrong its Axi.
>>
>>67392
He's just between threads right now!
>>
I want to run a silly card games based quest along the lines of the YGO where everything revolves around serious business card game dueling. I have a couple things I'm wondering about.

1) will players be able to handle the freedom to do shit like pic related without spamming it constantly? My thought was I'd make some mostly gibberish rules text and let them come up with stuff, but I don't want them to just degenerate into laser proof forcefields / anti-forcefield lasers, if you know what I mean.
2) how granular should I get with the actual play by play? Let them control every turn, have randomized card draws, etc?
>>
>>66677
No one has wanted it, is the problem. This is a burden that we have to live with because the mods can't do their damn jobs.

There are pros and cons. Pros are the formatting options and OP options. Cons are the general quality and lack of attention from anyone.

If someone comes in and shits in your thread with poni, no one is going to clean it up. There was an MLP quest on the front page for almost a day yesterday.

This is a ghetto for things to die in. So it's a matter of time, if you run something here, that it suffocates. If it's going to be short, you'll be fine, if you plan to have 20+ threads and a constant overarching story: You're screwed.

>>66955
Like this guy.
>2 and 5 players

Stop and think about those numbers for a second. Even half-dead one-shots in /tg/ get twice that.

He's great for his one thread. Will anyone return?
>>
>>66928
Do you want people from /b/, /r9k/ and /s4s/ coming here?

That's why /tg/ was the ideal board. People there were already predisposed to writefagging.

I mean, you could advertise if you want the possibility of lots of "TAKE OUT MY DICK AND JERK MYSELF OFF" votes.
>>
Would you guys recommend starting a quest on the weekend when there's, presumably, a more likely probability of people being here?
>>
>>68452
Yes. Absolutely.

Not sure about the current climate though.
>>
>>68452
Someone did a look at one time and found that the most active quests ran on almost every day but a Thursday.

That was on /tg/ though, I'm not sure 'active' is how I would ever describe this board.
>>
>>66632
But which side is which?
>>
>>68531
>most active quests ran on almost every day
Well when you're running everyday, of course you're gonna get be the most active.

Or do you mean that most quests strangely run on any day that ain't a Thursday?
>>
>>68252
>Do you want people from /b/, /r9k/ and /s4s/ coming here?

/b/ and /r9k/ have some decent writers; besides, /tg/ was born from Warhammer Wednesdays on /b/. I'll give you /s4s/ though.
>>
>>67436
There is silly card game going on akun, look for EnteeCards. Warning:has smut

It used custom rules and we get to play for every turn, QM dropped this method beacuse it was way way too slow and demanding with more than 5-6 updates per duel. Play by play in the end is not very engaging.

The players will spam the i win option and gibberish is for smartasses.

IMHO designing a heavly complex card game isn't worth your time when players generally opt for simpler features.

Cheers.
>>
>>68601
I mean, quests typically never worked on a Thursday. No one knew why. They had the least number of players and responses.

But Monday-Wednesday were good. Friday and the weekend were better. Tuesday was the second least popular day, followed by Monday.
>>
>>68968
I can vouch for that even when I was running on /m/. idk what it is, but it transcends individual boards.
>>
File: 1405862000480.png (129KB, 2744x800px) Image search: [Google]
1405862000480.png
129KB, 2744x800px
It's happening again.

>>68958
>>
I honestly think the quest threads being so much longer is hurting more than anything

If the board moved fast enough to ever know something off then it'd be fine but as is theres a lot of going through good quests over and over to see if they are back up or not whereas on tg the threads are only ever up when they are being ran
>>
>>69062
Welcome to the problem of having a board all to yourself.

Even worse part? It will get even worse. Threads that people abandoned for weeks will start to sit on the catalog.
>>
>>69894
Technically false as they are placed on autosage after 72 hours, but still possible for a thread to exist for longer if new threads haven't been created to push it out.
>>
What quests have "good" mechanics, and what makes them good?
>>
>>68252
>Do you want people from /b/, /r9k/ and /s4s/ coming here?
I do. Ruby Quest started on /r9k/, and /tg/ spawned from /b/.

The quest scene has really stagnated, and an infusion of new blood would be wonderful. It's unfortunate that this experiment didn't particularly pan out that way.
>>
>>44820
We need to go deeper.
>>
[i]Test[/i]
[b]Test[/b]
[red]Test[/red]
[green]Test[/green]
[blue]Test[/blue]

That concludes my test of the emergency text format system. Now, back to your regularly-scheduled posting. Might just bite the bullet and run my quest tomorrow @ 11 AM PST/2 PM EST.
>>
>>46438
I hate to be that guy, but it seems any romance shits up a quest, even ignoring waifu wars among players and/or harem shit in-canon.
Then again, I haven't read every quest ever, and there could be a couple that do romance right.
>>
Let me just say, with the way the board's settings are, there is no incentive for QMs to improve their writing/pacing or anything in general.

They just double down on their awful and cover their ears, and just post whenever they feel like it.

So if you call out a QM for being shit at doing anything, they'll crybaby over it and be bullheaded.
>>
>>49097
Dunno if you're still lurking, but your quest got me to buy Persona Q, my first taste of the Persona (albeit non-canon) series.
So, thanks and stuff.
>>
File: Beast Eye.gif (2MB, 420x236px) Image search: [Google]
Beast Eye.gif
2MB, 420x236px
>>70835
>Playing the fanservice game before playing the original games that amplify the enjoyment of said fanservice game.

Not a great plan.

Go play Digital Devil Saga or Nocturne.
>>
>>50639
That's because most of the time people just use chaos to be lolrandum.
I actually have an OC who characterizes the afformentioned positive qualities quite nicely, while struggling with her nature as a berserker.
>>
>>69062

Most of the qst quests are, to be blunt, fucking shit. There's been a massive quality drop.
>>
Any ideas on making the MC lose a battle without a shitstorm?
>>
>>70938

Be JQOP?
>>
>>70938
Make the MC learn something from it that he/she will later be able to use against whomsoever defeated him/her. Be sure to actually press this onto the players, so they get that they might have lost the battle, but they have a higher chance of winning the war, so to speak.
>>
>>70938
Not have a terrible playerbase? Obviously the more popular your quest the harder it is since it increases the chances of having a mentally challenged anon that gets extremely angry and is very vocal about it.

I've had a battle where the MC's best friend lost her damn arm. We didn't cause a shitstorm or yell at the QM or each other. We got sad then determined to not let that shit happen again by getting gud (all of which was reflected in character).
>>
>>70973
Guy who participates in Moloch's threads, is that you?
>>
File: Santatron.png (29KB, 510x556px) Image search: [Google]
Santatron.png
29KB, 510x556px
>>70988
Maybe.

Yes.
>>
File: LawFags.png (172KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
LawFags.png
172KB, 500x280px
>>70998
Thanks to poster IDs, I will always know when it's (you) now.
>>
>>70973
to be fair, dice rolls there are heavily skewed in player favor. If I was strictly looking for a quest that gave the sense that defeat was a real and frequent possibility, I'd go elsewhere.
>>
>>71017
>Implying poster IDs carry over to other threads
Oh boy.
>>
>>71036
If I can tell who the guy is by one post, I can sure as shit just ctrl + f his current ID to find the rest of his posts.
>>
>>71017
Least until the board falls off. Then I'll fade away until I out myself again.

>>71018
It got lethal when enemies started having larger dice pools then us to correspond to how strong they are. Most of the reason we'd let demons fight and keep humans out of it. Opposing roll checks was never a good mechanic anyway. Moloch would be the first to admit his mechanics were weak as hell in DSQ.
>>
>>71046
>ctrl+f
You can just click the ID. By hovering over it, it says you made three posts in the thread, and clicking it highlights all of them.
>>
>>71073
Highlights them but doesn't skip to them.

Ctrl-F does and it really helps in a big thread like this one.
>>
Hey gu ys - why is the thread not bumping? We ain't at the limit.
>>
>>71107
72 hour autosage.
>>
File: 1450224444860.jpg (26KB, 352x370px) Image search: [Google]
1450224444860.jpg
26KB, 352x370px
I just finished Book of Worms. It was bretty gud, and did some things that I didn't expect like having the universe-devouring godbeast enter reality.

Radula's role in the epilogue was excellent.

It wasn't without its faults, though. The dialogue was really rough, and often times cringeworthy and/or redundant to the point that I didn't even bother skimming. Basically any time a crowd was addressed or Beth started talking about her mom, I fast-forwarded.

Also, I could never get over the anthro art. It worked in Ruby Quest because everything was so minimalist, but the straight up furry people were tough to stomach. That was the audience it was created for, though, so I suppose my opinion doesn't matter too much.

Overall 7/10 - wouldn't reread, but don't regret reading it.
>>
>>70742
OPs only for text formatting.
>>
>>67375
Gobble
>>
File: 1460681315329.png (352KB, 686x576px) Image search: [Google]
1460681315329.png
352KB, 686x576px
>>71121
Does anyone know how Conspiracy of Wasps compares? Is it another horror quest?
>>
File: Illuminati-Logo.png (172KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Illuminati-Logo.png
172KB, 800x800px
A Quest: Digimon Overwatch

Premise: Your name is Abel Jensen, a human resource manager working at one of the world leading software companies.

One day, you stumble into evidence of human experimentation and this is apparently connected with the supposed gas explosions and serial murders happening around town. You discover that the source of these happenings is now what they are reported to be.

In your quest to find the truth, you come across an ally, a creature called a Digimon. A Digivice appears before you.

Shall you became a Digimon Tamer as means to help you find the truth?
>>
So is another thread of this sort going to be made before this one falls off the board?

>>71956
I like it. Digimon's always been a favorite of mine, and adding a totally different hook to the narrative like that is pretty great. You have a partner Digimon picked out already, or did you plan on having the thread pick it out somehow?
>>
File: Digimon Overwatch.png (188KB, 800x577px) Image search: [Google]
Digimon Overwatch.png
188KB, 800x577px
>>71972
IDK but probably going to be a virus type.

Partner is connected to the villain somehow.
>>
File: Beetlemon card.png (236KB, 300x437px) Image search: [Google]
Beetlemon card.png
236KB, 300x437px
>>71978
Sounds neat. I've always had a soft spot for Frontier, personally, but the franchise has a ton to work with in each given series.
>>
File: 1344058599730.jpg (67KB, 680x449px) Image search: [Google]
1344058599730.jpg
67KB, 680x449px
>>71956
>Jensen

>>71972
No doubt.
>>
>>71972
It's called the weekend quest discussion thread.
>>
>>71972
>So is another thread of this sort going to be made before this one falls off the board?
Yes, I will make one later today.
>>
>>71112
To put this into a frame of reference: /qtg/ couldn't hit 750 posts before going into forced autosage. The bump limit can be WAY lower and not be a problem.

In another, more negative frame of reference: /qtg/ can't hit 750 posts in three days with the sort of traffic we're getting. It could hit autosage twice in one day on /tg/.
>>
>>70938
>Without a shitstorm
What are you, a fucking pussy?

Horrendously maim the waifu, but do not kill them. Make the players save them. Make the waifu begin to question their adventures with the players. Make them promise not to fuck up next time.

Then kill the waifu.
>>
>>72083
How much of that was pure shitposting for the sake of shitposting though?
>>
>>72101
Fuck off, Seo.
>>
>>72114
How much shitposting is here on this board? How much of this board is either shitposting or the sort of "low quality garbage" the mod warned us about?

"Shitposting" is a purely subjective assessment. How do you define it? How do the whiny little shits who got this board made in the first place define it?
>>
>>72150
Not really. Shitposting is basically anything that is: irrelevant to the thread/board, that contributes nothing to the discussion at hand, spam and/or bait.

Now the "low quality garbage" the mod was speaking about, there's a much harder question considering it's unclear what he actually wants in the first place.

As for the whiners, you'd need to ask one of them. Their whining is shitposting both on /tg/ and here.
>>
Rolled 5, 8, 7, 8, 7, 8, 5 = 48 (7d10)

Dice mechanics.

I like cegremo's one, but I'm thinking of changing it very slightly for combat and other dodgy interactions (like trying to diplomancing without having good information) in my next quest. Here's how it'd work: 1d10 rolls, the first one is the principal and gets modified by the following rolls in a certain time window (let's say 5 minutes). Each roll between 1-3 substracts 1 from the principal, each roll between 8-10 add 1. 0 is a critical failure and interrupts the chain, 11 is a critical success and does likewise.

Thoughts?
>>
Rolled 2, 2, 9, 7, 8, 1, 2, 10 = 41 (8d10)

>>72236
As an example:

5 is the principal, then it gets +3 for all the 8s resulting in a final roll of 8 (which would be a very solid success).
>>
>>72238
2-1+1+1-1-1+1=2

Nice failure.
>>
>>72236
soooo adding more dice adds more variety, but doesn't skew things in either direction? And you can add flat modifiers for when you WANT to skew things? Interesting...
>>
>>72236
>11 is a critical success
So we'll never get one, considering you're rolling d10s?
>>
>>72236
>>72238
>>72242

Too random. You might want to set the principal depending on the difficulty of the task ahead and only roll for modifiers.
>>
>>72243
Well, it also adds lethality (or you know, consequences) to the whole dice flinging game.

>>72246
That was kind of the idea, making combat and situations which aren't prepared for swingy without completely removing the excitement for rolling dices.

But I see your point. Good thing I haven't yet started the quest.

>>72245
READNIGGAREAD
>>
>>72236
>Thoughts?
Always consider that you can roll dice in the background instead if the /qst/-dice system isn't up to your required level of stuff.

Like in Joker Quest.

JQOP has started questioning his sanity ever since he started doing fights larger in scale than 1on1. Apparently it's very hard on the system.
He made that comment in a current fight with 12 combatants, but he'd also already done a scene with 40 or so combatants at an earlier point in time.

What does this mean?
Well, do the hard things yourself. Players should only interact with the quest in filtered ways.
>>
>>72290
I'm a player as well. I know the feeling of seeing dice rolls and going "fuck yeah!" or "oh shit". I don't want to remove that from my quest. I actually find it pretty dull when there's no rolling and everything is in the background. Different strokes for different folks is what it boils down to.

And I'm not using a system per se, I just like having that element of randomness when I write a quest.
>>
>>72307
>I actually find it pretty dull when there's no rolling and everything is in the background.
Well, in JQ you can see the dice rolls whenever weird shit happens.
Like "you punch him and explode his arm" weird.

Just keep in mind that 4chan dice can be really fucking obnoxious in their results. Many a quest readerbase has sung tales about it.
>>
>>72252
I think the important part is the "principal" roll. It's too easy for it to immediately be a 1 or 10, making the rest of the rolls less important.

What if the principal roll is locked to 3-8, all values above or below are treated as those max/min values?
>>
>>72238
Make it per 5 posts instead of per 5 minutes. Do you remember the first thread we implemented this dice mechanic in NBS? Anons were spamming dice rolls like crazy. I don't know if thats what you want for your quest, but I had to change it for mine.
>>
>>68252
The news roll and header already show "New trial board: /qst/ - Quests"
>>
Should I start a new thread if the old one has autosaged even though it still hasn't fallen off the board yet?
>>
>>72726
It's on the ninth page now, so you might as well make a new thread.
>>
>>72741
I thought everyone used the catalog nowadays.
>>
>>72726
Don't forget to add ReviewAnon's patebin into the OP-post.
>>
>>72750
Yeah, but even then it's down at the bottom.
>>
File: banned.png (85KB, 895x307px) Image search: [Google]
banned.png
85KB, 895x307px
That was interesting.
>>
>>72741
>>72754
>>72757
Sorry, I mean my quest thread, not this thread.
>>
>>72827
Ah, my mistake. I say stick to the thread you have now until it's about the fall off the board, then start a new one. The Players you have will stay in the thread until it dies.
>>
>>72791
Meh. Their shitposting has been deleted since day one, and it's not like that's going to stop them.
>>
So it's been 20 hours now, and this thread is still up.
>>
New thread:
>>73200
>>
>>73208
Still on page 9. No real need for it.
>>
>>73135
It takes 30 hours on average for things to drop off the board.

Tells you something about the speed of this board, doesn't it.
>>
>>72479
Thought it was pretty fun to be honest.
>>
>>73448
It tells me the board is every bit as slow as we said it would be.
>>
well we are back again

>>54683
>>54683
>>54683
>>
>>74740
True.
I've been wondering if I should start a quest, but seeing how slow the board moves makes me wonder if I should.
Thread posts: 796
Thread images: 95

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.