[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Medieval Ruler

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 3

The year is 769 AD, the very beginnings of Medieval rule.

Charles and Carloman Karling rule over a divided Francia.

In the Byzantine Empire, controversy rages regarding the use of religious images. The emperor and ecumenical patriarch are Iconoclast in an Orthodox world causing many internal problems

The Abbasid Caliphate is at the zenith of its power. However, powerful vassals are already biding their time to break free.

In the strange and foreign lands of India, kingdoms fight each other for rule of the land, citing the many cultures and religions as just causes.

In the North and East, Slavic, Germanic, Finnish and Romuvan religions hold sway over the lands of Eastern Europe and Scandinavia but these lands are poor and the soil is weak.

How will you rule? A Lombard Warrior? A Bedouin Master of Secrets? A Polish Master Merchant? The choice is yours!

Let's begin, which region will you begin with?

>Western Europe
>Northern Europe
>Eastern Europe
>Balkans
>Anatolia
>Middle East
>Western Asia
>North Africa
>India
>>
>>369578
Northern Europe.

The Foolish King.

Pretend to be weak and foolish to lull the enemy then destroy them.
>>
>>369578
>>Eastern Europe
>>
I'll be posting intermittently while we get a good chunk o' votes in.
>>
>>369578
>>Northern Europe
>>
>>369578
>Eastern Europe
>>
We gotta tie, gonna wait a little longer, if it stays a tie I'll roll a d6.
>>
>>369578
>Northern Europe
>>
Yeah go with the North
>>
Northern Europe it is!

Choose the lands which you shall rule over!

Sjalland (Denmark)
Svipjod (Sweden)
Noregr (Norway)
Pohjanmaa (Western Finland)
Saxony
>>
> Sviðjod
>>
>>369589
Pohjanmaa

Were there even rulers in Finland back then? I guess we'll be the tribal chief
>>
>>369591
Essentially that's what they are in Northern Europe, but ruler is the blanket term I just use to make life easier.
>>
>>369589

Svipjod (Sweden)

We are Svensson.
>>
>>369589
>Svipjod (Sweden)
>>
The last thing you should do is agree upon an appropriate name for your ruler. Something like Asmund Bjornson or something like that. There will be written dialogue as well as narrative and I don't want to call him just Chief or Ruler.
>>
>Svipjod (Sweden)
>>
Gudmund Falk

Nice and easy to remember
>>
>>369598
>Falkson
>>
I got one to throw in there

Gunnar Knytling
>>
>>369596
Liten Manslem
>>
>>369600
Son of the Falcon

ebin
>>
>>369603
>>369600
>>369598
I personally dig it, so I think we'll go with Gudmund Falksson

Just give me a bit to write out an intro and think up some starting choices.

Shouldn't take long!
>>
>>369604
How about we all make a backstory for Mr. McKingsly?
>>
>>369605
You're assuming everyone's a good writer
>>
File: B002355.jpg (95KB, 512x502px) Image search: [Google]
B002355.jpg
95KB, 512x502px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-YCtdu7gAM

The bitter West winds sting your face, the spray of the ocean biting your face and the faces of your men. No matter, you feel the blessing of Ægir and his maiden daughters bestowed upon you. You and your men have been at sea for 4 days now ready to raid the lands of the Oeselians (modern day Estonia)

"Hark! I see the coast!" yells out Bori, your watchman.

"Steel yourselves men! We'll be loading up our ship with plunder by night's end!" shouts out Gudmund.

You are Gudmund Falksson. You were given the lands of Svipjod by the sacred laws of rightful combat and have taken the name "Son of the Falcon" for your speed and agility in combat. A tall, muscular man with golden blonde hair and beard and piercing blue eyes. Born and raised a warrior in Nordic society, you learned all there is to know of combat but you are still green in the ways of ruler-ship.

"Ready your shields, men!" calls out your Hirdman, Hemming Hjort.

It should be an hour before landfall and your men thirst for battle.

What do you do first:

>Give praise to the gods
>Inspect the Raiding Party
>Plan your attack with your Hirdmen
>Wait until nightfall

(choices aren't the best right now considering starting point, but I tried)
>>
>>369606
>Sweden

You all disgust me.

Svenskersvin
>>
>>369606
well there seems to be a fair number of peoiple here so yes I assume at least some are. And many dumb people can make neat stuff. Probably. Maybe. Plus why not?
>>
>>369607
Plan the attack. What are we raiding exactly?
>>
>>369607
>Wait until nightfall

Preserve our strength; we need not worry about matters of weaklings, such as "leadership", or "tactics", and the gods are always best worshiped in battle.
>>
>>369611
The Oeselian lands (Estonia) I'm doing my best to keep it mostly historically accurate for the times.

Vikings weren't really a danger until at least a century later. They mostly raided Finland, Estonia, Latvia etc.
>>
>>369613
Yes but are we raiding a temple, city, castle?
>>
>>369607
>Plan the attack
Make sure we're prepared.
>>
>>369607
>>Inspect the Raiding Party

We need to check with our raiding party.
>>
>>369614
I would just assume straight up villages. I don't think Viking raiding parties were picky or choosy with their stuff, you got the goods, we want it. (Women, sheep, cattle, gold etc) but I guess for literal sake it would be a village/stronghold.
>>
Since I see two for plan the attack we'll go with this one.

Seeing as this isn't the first time you've raided Eastern lands, you have a sort of natural inclination to their defensive structures and plans of attack.

"Gather around men!" you yell out "we need to go over how we'll take the most without losing many of you. Some of you WILL enter Valhalla today and songs will be sung in your name but first, let us see how we shall hit them hardest."

The lands you are raiding belong to the High Chief Kaupo Harjumaa, an old and infirm man that holds the southern Gulf of Finland. His weakest flank would be his western front of Kalevan, however, you will not find many goods there. In Narva, you will find goods aplenty but expect strong resistance as Narva is the seat of the High Chief.

A few choices are present to yourself but all take place in broad daylight so stealth is not an option.

>Take their western flank and grab up as much as you can without losing many men at the sacrifice of a bountiful raid.
>Take their northern flank and attempt to fight off the Oeselian defense but take more.
>>
>>369619
North flank

MORE. Our soldiers welcome death
>>
>>369619
>Take the northern flank

Even if it wasn't the more lucrative option, dead men mean more gold for the rest of us anyways.
>>
The men decide they will risk Valhalla for goods!

You see a fire burning in the distance, then another and then another, they know of your approach as you hear horns in the distance.

Shouting and cursing and psyching ourselves up, some of your men breathe hard and rapidly, giving themselves rage. Then, an arrow. Then another and another. "SHIELDS, MEN!!!" your Hirdman Alfr yells out. You don your helmet and axe and prepare the landing....

All of you here, roll a d20 and I will make the average. The average being how successful out of 100 you are.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le4B9T12zbs

Wanted to add this in for ambiance...
>>
>>369624
>>
If you don't know how to roll, in the options menu right dice+1d20
>>
Rolled 12 (1d20)

>>369624
Rolling
>>
Rolled 18 (1d20)

>>
If any one else is here, roll it up otherwise....
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>369624
>>
I think, after this, I will make it 50. Out of 100 seems a bit steep for now with few people.
>>
Rolled 7 (1d20)

>>369624
>>
Rolled 19 (1d20)

>>369636
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0PvZGVPiJU

Iron upon iron, shield to shield, your men fight hard and true but all around you are the colors of Harjumaa and less and less of Falksson. Still, you manage to hack your way through the hordes and grab a few virgin girls and sheep before retreating back to your ship. Two of your Hirdmen have perished as well as a quarter of your men.

Bloodied, battered and bruised, you remove your helmet and slump down.

"I haven't felt defeat like that since my first raid." you say.

Your uncle and brother and arms puts a hand on your shoulder "You can't expect every fight to be a success."

Standing up and looking at the faces of your men, you can see they are tired, hurt and want their families. You however, hear the unmistakable sounds of one of your men taking a girl on the other side of the ship which brings a smile to your face. "We haven't lost all, uncle. We have women and livestock now as well." as you go to join your men in the counting of the spoils.

A week passes when you see your home light it's tower for your coming. The tribal lands of Uppland, Aland, Vestmannaland and Sudermanland are yours and Alfr of Nerike is your "regent" watching over them.

Hopping off your ship with your uncle, you are greeted by your wife, Ylva and Olfeig.

"My king" she greets you "How fare you in plunder?" she asks

"Not at all well, we were beaten back by those foul Oeselians. Their gods must have favored them that day." you walk with your wife as your regent is busy counting the goods and helping the men out. Your wife explains the situation of the people. "They grow hungry, restless and angry. Our harvest was low this year and the cattle are dying from the cold. The people fear this winter is cursed and that Jotunheim itself has descended upon our souls."

You listen to every word she says "They fear all you care about is glory in blood."

You meet the eyes of the commonfolk, they are all filled with malice.

What do you choose to do?
>Hold a feast for the victors and slain
>Address the crowd
>Ignore them and make your way to your longhall
>Yell for them to keep working.
>>
>>369640

We said songs would be sung of the fallen, and they shall.
>>
>>369640
>Hold a feast for the victors and the slain
Let them know that we will not let the people starve.
>>
>>369640
>>
>>369640
>>Hold a feast for the victors and slain

damn.. Was my 19 too late?>>369639
>>
>>369645
Guys, I have been reading up on this super cool combat system if you're all down the next time it happens.

You all plan a three-step attack and agree upon it, when you do, I will ask one of you by using your thread tag to roll a 3d10, this will determine the first step and then repeat. So like

>Line up men (3d10)
>Batter gate (3d10)
>Storm the walls (3d10)

It is supposed to represent dynamic battle

So you roll for the first one, I describe it and then make a counter roll, based on who rolls better, the next step will then be taken.

Would anyone care to try this?
>>
Just let me know while I write out the feast.
>>
>>369647
Yea That would help a lot if this thread is cursed with bad rolls...

I hate them bad rolls so much
>>
>>369647
Sounds good to me.
>>
You call out to the commonfolk in your hold

"The gods did not smile upon us this time! We were beaten back by the filthy Oeselians and left with little but sheep and women. I see it in your eyes, the distrust, the malice and hatred for me. Let it be known today however, that I am an honorable and just man. I will not let the spirits of the slain go unwelcomed and unheard. Tonight, we feast in their name!" The commonfolk look as if they have a mixture of confusion and relief at the same time.

"My lord!" one of the farmers call out. "Our food is low and we may not make it to spring if we hold this feast!

"Would you want your slain kin to go ignored, to be not celebrated for their vigor in battle?! Do you dare shun the gods will?!" The farmer concedes to your booming voice and will. "We WILL feast tonight. I will need some of you to set up tables and light a fire."

Exhausted, you enter your hall and slump into your chair. Running your hands to clear the hair out of your face, you see your loyal men at arms gathering in the hall with their goods and already begin the festivities.

The feast is as loud as it is rowdy as your people file into the hall to begin the merriment.

"On this day, let it be known that those men who gave their lives to support our people will not be forgotten! Let us call their names: Borr, Oysteinn, Orvar, Alfr, Hrafn. Let them feast in Valhalla till Ragnarok!

As the hours go by and the feast dies down. Your uncle walks up to you with a mug in one hand and a girl on the other. "Let this be the first of many good days in your rule." he exclaims. "Thank you, uncle. I am just unsure where to start next..."

Dawn breaks over the trees on a cloudy day.

Observing your hold, you notice that many tasks need to be done.

>Population: 350 in total, 45 in your hold
>Influence: Insignificant
>Total goods and resources: 5 slots out of maximum in a storage of 50
Food: 3
Timber: 1
Metal: 1

Which shall you focus on first:

A: Construction
B: Research
C: Religion
D: Diplomacy/War
E: Trade
F: Politics (the difference between Diplomacy and War and Politics is Politics is internal while Diplomacy/War is external relations.)
>>
>>369658
>A: Construction
Barns to keep the cattle from freezing
>>
>>369658
Construction
>>
You see that the previous ruler was NOT a man of the people, judging by the gold ringlets and crown but the lack of proper facilities for...ANYTHING.

Your first order of business as the new ruler is to begin extensive construction projects, however, you only have enough timber for one basic structure which should be your prime focus for now.

>More storage
>Smoke hall (for preserving meats)
>Barn for livestock
>More housing
>Paths leading to and from your lands
>Small market for income
>Earthen Hillfort (extend your defensive structure to include dry moat)
>>
>>369658
>>369660

I must agreed about it. We real need to start storing food before the long winter.
>A: Construction
>>
>>369658
> D War
The only way we're going to eat this winter is if we get a successful plundering in.
>>
>>369673
>>Barn for livestock
>>
>small market
Definetly is an overall increase for us across the board
- Get more gold flowing through our market into citizens (and our own) pockets
- Make us friendly with traders with valuable foreign goods and practices (who knows what we might learn to do if we became friends with say, a pagan from Rus who is traveling)
- Makes us friendlier in general with neighbors when we invite them to trade with us, might be hard at first but if we guard it well it could succeed
>>
>>369673
> Smoke hall
This can help us ration what we already have.
>>
>>369673
Barn
>>
>>369673

Ok now it become difficult to choose. I'm looking at Smoke hall (I hope that they had already invented 'korvar'). Barn and and storage is good too.
>>
I am seeing a lot of barns here so we shall go with that.

Passing by your lands, you see your second frozen cow and the first frozen goat which has already been stripped of meat.

"This is an outrage! You call out! Who allows this wanton destruction of food and drink?!" A frail woman tells you that the last chief was a cruel, arbitrary man who had no sense of right or justice and did with the wealth as he please leaving the common-folk to starve. You challenged this old man and slew him in combat, but didn't truly realize the damage he caused to his own hold and people.

"We NEED a barn up as soon as possible!" you call out to the builders. "This winter is harsh and we will not survive without LIVING meat."

All roll a d20. We will use the old combat system for out-of-combat rolls. That seems way more appropriate as you all represent whatever is going on (warriors, builders, farmers, traders etc) as well as the leader when it comes to making said choices.
>>
VALHALLA AWAITS
>>
Rolled 19 (1d20)

>>369691
Rolling.
>>
Rolled 6 (1d20)

>>369691
>>
If we can get two more in here, the odds shall increase!
>>
Rolled 11 (1d20)

>>369702
can't we use first roll baby :3
>>
>>369702
Will number of rolls also lower the difficulty? Because any average higher than 10.5 is higher than the bell curve, and the more dice rolled, the more likely the average will drift toward this number.
>>
>>369706
I won't divide anymore. I am testing out different systems to see which would fit better. Definitely not this one, so we'll go with classic best number wins and that would be a 19 lol

After this though, I have to head out. Tomorrow around 9 AM I will begin it up and have way more time as it'll be my day off.

Removing the last of the timber from the stores, your builders carefully examine a plot of land that is flat and not completely hardened over and begin to dig.

Within just a week and a half, the men that built the barn bring you to it for you to inspect.

Working some sort of magic into their craft, the men have managed to take the remaining supply of timber and create a two story barn with one floor dedicated to the stables and pens while the other holds more food and has racks for storage. Seeming to have leftover wood, the men carve intricate knots and runes into the pillars and supports dedicated to your name and honor. "We thank you Gudmund, we see a bright and beautiful future under your guide. We are yours to your disposal." as they place a fist on their hearts.

Feeling a sense of right, you ask that the commonfolk join you one last time in front of the longhall. (While I am gone, think up a cool name for it.) "Honorable men and women of Svipjod, you were under the thumb of an evil man with no sense of honor to you or the gods! THIS is going to change! By our sweat, blood and tears, we will prosper again! Any able-bodied men are welcome to join our raiding parties, and strong women as well!" Tonight we rest, tomorrow we rebuild and prosper again!"

Thank you guys for helping me get this started up and PLEASE join in next time tomorrow. I will be here 9 AM EST (Massachusetts time)

Take care!
>>
Good, concise writing. I like how you use CK2 as a guide total guess
>>
>>369714
It's pretty obvious if you've played it before
>>
>>369713
How about Asemundsal for the name of the longhall? I guess it'd mean something like "Hall of Divine Protection"

Or Asgersal, "Hall of God's Spear"
>>
>>369938
I really second Asemundesal.
And to any Danskjävlar (Danish fuckers) are here, I'd just like to say fuck off.
>>
About an half hour late but I am here!
>>
>>372550
Welcome back! Great quest so far OP, keep it up
>>
>>372584
Just waiting on a couple more people who I think will show up! If I am delayed in replies it's either because I stepped out for smoke breaks or am playing Age of Wonders III (great fucking game)
>>
>>372605
I'm here
>>
>>370421
>>369938
I like this name
>>
Couple of rules:

Combat System: Dynamic 3d10

The way it works is that when any combat be it 1v1 or mass combat, you will all agree upon a three step plan
Example:

Bring Shield up
Shield Bash
Side Thrust

And I will choose one of each of you to roll this as I make a counter roll and describe it. Repeat process or rewrite 1 part of plan and then repeat. This is supposed to represent dynamic decisions made in combat to enhance the experience, it makes combat longer but way more fun than just roll d20 over and over again.

New non-combat rolls: Instead of d20 where the odds are greatly in favor of always successful, it will be d100, greater chances of failure but also for critical successes.
>>
Also gonna wait for 1 more person.
>>
>>372653
Here.
>>
We got three here at least, nice.

The people are celebrating your success on the new barn, but you decide to hold it in the builder's name. Mead, mutton and beef are served by plateful. In honor of your name and deeds, a citizen has asked to name your throne "Asemundsal" which you find to be a fitting name for a man of your stature.

As the feast carries on, your stívarðr (steward) comes to you and tells you a base fact. "My lord, you have no heirs or daughters. You can be the best lord in all the land, but still be worth nothing without a child to carry on your name."

Pondering this, he makes no ill logic, and you do need heirs.

This'll be good,

Roll for procreation (d100)
>>
Rolled 27 (1d100)

>>372682
>>
Rolled 74 (1d100)

>>372682
>>
>>372682
Not sure if I did this right
>>
Rolled 55 (1d100)

>>372682
>>
>>372696
Put 'dice+1d100' (without the quotes) in the Options field
>>
>>372696
Nope
>>
>>372682

>>372700
Thanks
>>
Rolled 58 (1d100)

>>372682
Rolling
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIbIIfQAdM0

Waking up, you hear retching in the corner as Ylva is bent over a bucket. The sickness is upon her which can only mean one good thing, she is with child. Feeling particularly joyous today, you greet everyone with a smile. The common-folk go about their business as usual and today, you decide to get down to business as your first official full day as ruler of Svipjod.

>Total goods and resources: 5 slots out of maximum in a storage of 50
Timber: 0
Metal: 1

F: Politics
G: Production
>>
>>372718
>G: Production
>>
>>372720
Supporting, raw goods are a must
>>
>>372718
G
>>
>>372720
Second, OP are our lands suitable for farming/grazing?
>>
>>372725
If it means more food, then absolutely go with
>G
>>
>>372725
Some of it is, not all. I would say your pride and joy when it comes to resources is timber and metals.
Your steward tells you of a parcel of land that is open for sale to the people of your choosing and that they have each sent a representative to sway you, but only you have that choice to make.

The morning light brightly shines through the door of Asemundesal when the three petitioners walk in. They are all here to ask for that parcel of land.

The first one is an old crone, wears a dress made of different types of leaves, all knotted together with thin birch bark and has one milky blue eye. A gnarled, wrinkled hand extends outward to you and opens to reveal seeds of different plants and berries. "This!" she cries out "This is what will make you prosper! Give us this land, and we promise you untold bounties the likes of which you've never seen! We have a Volva (seeress) with us who will bless the land!"

The second, a short, stocky man with a long flowing, red beard who appears to be made of the rock himself makes his way to you "Don't listen to this hag, the land's soil is hard to till and planting is almost by chance! There is iron in those hills to which we can make tools and weapons! Lend us this land, and I assure you that no metal will bend or break with us."

The third man, a tall, muscular man of about 35 walks up to you casually. "My lord, I have been cutting, carving and shaping wood for as long as I can remember, and my father before me and his father before him." he pulls out a slab of pine wood with a strange color "this sir is something I have been working on for years. This is the strongest pine grown in this land and it grows in those lands for sale. I have been using it for JUST this purpose. Please, consider my offer." All three stand and await your order....

>Food
>Timber
>Metals
>>
>>372748
>>Timber
>>Metals
Give the mines and hills to the short man and the forests to the thin man
>>
>>372748
Food
>>
>>372753
I should say, it's only one choice.
>>
>>372748
>Metals
>>
>>372761
Second metals. Our livelihood will be determined by the mettle of our men and metal of our weapons
>>
>>372748
>Metals
>>
>>372748
>Food
Feel like a broken record here, but we absolutely have to have food before winter hits. Getting a stockpile up absolutely needs to be priority number one.
>>
>>372781
I'm sure we can just raid other villages for food and supplies
>>
>>372761
>>372763
>>372776

"This is not an easy choice. All of you have brought your word to my hall and I listened with intent. However, that land can only belong to one of you." you look to the crone "your promises are tempting, the food would be a great boon to us. However, we already make enough food through fish and cattle and sheep to need more." you look to the woodworker "This is hardy, and would make us good ships. The wood you have in store however is not enough and we have plenty of longships in port and have no need for more."

You look to the miner "Our tools are weak, our weapons need constant repair and the iron can be used to also repair ships. We have need of iron-workers and miners and blacksmiths. You shall have the land." you rise up from your chair "I shall name it Djuphall, in honor of your work."

The other two leave with looks of anger and disappointment on their face. The old crone is the only one to say "You will live to regret starving your people." as she hobbles away.

"We can use that timber for structure supports and tracks. My name is Colborn Grimsson and I would be glad to assist you in any way possible. We will get to work right away."

Deciding to follow the miner's entourage, you would prefer to watch over the progress yourself.

Gonna use a modified version of 3d10 for rolls, accidents and problems do occur after all.

>>372761
Roll 3d10 for breaking of the earth

>>372753
3d10 for locating amount of iron (metals)

>>372781
Roll for extracting metals
>>
Rolled 6, 9, 1 = 16 (3d10)

>>372790
Rolling
>>
Rolled 8, 6, 2 = 16 (3d10)

>>372790
>>
Rolled 4, 8, 4 = 16 (3d10)

>>372790
>>
Rolled 7, 10, 3 = 20 (3d10)

>>372790
>>
Rolled 3, 6, 10 = 19 (3d10)

>>372790
>>
The 3d10 system works where I pick a certain person in the thread and they roll it out rather than everyone, this prevents flooding of rolls and confusion as to which is the better one or who won.

>>372796
>>372798
>>372799
Finding the sweet spot inside a hollowed out hillside, the miners begin to crack at the rock until it becomes softer as the builders are chopping trees down for supports and tracks.

After about 4 days of this rinse and repeat, a miner walks out covered in dust and dirt "we found it" he exclaims. Rushing forward, Gudmund wishes to see the metal that will be building his tools and weapons. A fairly large amount is found inside a cave hollow all around as it lines the walls which are 25 ft (7.6 m for those not in America) tall. According to the math laid out by the miner's foreman, this metal will last you about 10 years time but then they will have to move on to the next one.

Setting up the support beams and wooden tracks and rope, the men begin the careful extraction of the iron

You have gained 6 iron.

>Total goods and resources: 10/50

Metal: 7

>>
Rolled 6, 6, 4 = 16 (3d10)

>>372790
>>
>>372818
> E Trade
We should trade some of our new metals to Saxony for food.
>>
>G: Production (or Construction)

It's time to resupply our weapons and ships for another raid. Ideally we'd like to get control over lands which have been neglected by other lords which we can then take over and have the existing populace begin farming for us
>>
>>372818
>E: Trade
>>
>>372831
>>372823
>>
>>372840
*this
>>
As the week winds to an end, one of the guards posted at the gate hurries up to you. "Sir, there is a group of men headed this way from the south. I am not sure who they are, but they have a golden Irminsul on their flag.

Looking out from the gate-tower, you can see what the guard was talking about. A group of men are riding towards you with both their colors and the colors of peace. "WHO HOLDS SWAY OVER THESE LANDS?!" one of the men call out in a strange dialect. "That would be I, Gudmund Falksson!" you call back "I wish to seek company with you! We have much to talk about! I come representing King Theodoric of Saxony, would you allow us entry?!"

>Yes
>No
>>
>>372846
> Heck yeah.
>>
>>372846
>Yes
>>
>>372846
Yes
>>
>>372846
>Yes
>>
"Please, come inside! A storm is brewing on the horizon and we have meat and mead! you reply.

Taking their helmets off and resting them on the table. A tall, skinny man whose balding on the top approaches you. "We thank you for this, it was freezing outside." you order your servant girl to give them food and drink. The man speaking to you thanks the serving girl as he tells you of strange tidings in the west. A man named Charles has inherited his brothers lands and Saxon scouts have reported seeing armies marching and fortifying along Saxon borders. "These are dark times, this is why we have come to you, we have dire need of weapons and tools and in exchange we would give you a bountiful harvest. We grew much and more over the last season and have no use for food if it will just spoil." he takes a bit from his food before telling you "we have 3 carts of food just waiting outside for you and your people with which you can distribute as you will in exchange for 4 carts of metal and weapons." as you are thinking he also tells you "this would also mean a pact of non-aggression between us, we would all be friends now in this time of tumult and uncertainty, what say you?"

"Aye, says me!" you call out as you stand "Let it be known that we would never turn down sons and daughters of Odin!" as you clasp hands. "You may stay the night, your horses will be fed and you shall be taken well care of. You should leave tomorrow before light, you may outrun the storm if you hurry.

The next day you order some commoners to load up the carriages with metals and weapons and to haul in the food.

>>372851
3d10 for first part of journey

>>372853
3d10 for second

>>372856
3d10 for the third.

(smoke break)
>>
Rolled 4, 4, 1 = 9 (3d10)

>>372884
>>
Rolled 6, 6, 2 = 14 (3d10)

>>372884
Rolling
>>
Alright first come first serve on last roll is the one I will use.
>>
Rolled 1, 9, 1 = 11 (3d10)

>>372904
You might wanna re-think this system OP, why not just use the first three rolls every time?
>>
>>372927
True enough, I just think it would be easier instead of being flooded by rolls. Think I will wrap it up after this dialogue.

The first part of the journey is a cold one, with bitter winds blowing but you make it relatively far, covering about 60 miles of the journey.

A horrible storm blows through however and with no shelter between the ferry to Sjaelland has caused a few deaths making the journey that much more difficult.

After about 9 days, you finally manage to make it to Anhalt, the throne of Saxony with the goods. Two bulls have perished along with 9 men but the goods remain untouched and with the journey complete, they begin their restocking for the journey home however with low morale.

Wrapping it up now, I will be here same time tomorrow!
>>
I love you man, I thought that you dissappeared when Medieval Count died. I've been following Slav "The Slav" Slavovich since the beginning.
It's great to have you back Opie.
>>
Rolled 10, 9, 7 = 26 (3d10)

>>372935
>>
>>372966
I just thought people lost interest completely on that one because every time I kept coming back, I got no replies for a good 2 days. Plus, it was also partially my fault for assuming that people lost interest.

By the way, don't let this 5:00 AM message fool you, if people want to join now. I will be fine with that just expect longer replies considering the time. I will wait for others to show up today as well.
>>
>>375968
I just thought you wasn't at the computer, so I didn't reply.
>>
>>375968
Im here mane
Was drinking last night so couldn't join

(euro time fag here)
>>
>>375979
It's cool! Just gonna wait for a couple more people and then I will begin!
>>
>>375982
Just doing a little research for this on Old Saxony, Noregr, Sjaelland and Charlemagne's Europe. I know a little about each but not a lot! If anyone has knowledge of anything during this time, please feel free to correct and/or add in.
>>
Also gonna throw this up for a vote right now while I am thinking about it.

Which direction are you all thinking about choosing?

West: France, Western Germany and the Netherlands and England

East: "Unknown", Slavic lands, Baltic peoples of Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania etc
>>
Ah, screw it. I'll ask again later.

Over the horizon, you can see see the caravan returning but with less men and bulls. "Where are the others?" you ask "Perished, sir. A fierce storm that lasted for four days blew through and we couldn't find shelter in time. We returned with food however so not all is lost." Now knowing you have more food and that your people won't starve, you can focus on other matters of state.

Your steward approaches you with a dark look about him. "Sir, there is something you should know." he takes a seat, filling his cup "There were men spotted on your borders riding horses." he takes a long drink before practically slamming the cup down. "They killed a few of the timber-men but ran as soon as the guards showed up. I fear we may have an issue with our northern flank." you look out the window. "Do you know whose men these are?"

"I am totally unsure. They could be from Jarnberaland or Helsingland. Either way, we need to do something about this!"

>Call a meeting with the two Lords
>Counter-Raid (Jarnberaland or Helsingland)
>Counter-Raid Both
>Do nothing and wait (will lead to A-G choices)
>>
>>376012
>West: France, Western Germany and the Netherlands and England

>>376024
>>Call a meeting with the two Lords
>>
>>376027
Gonna wait for more now.
>>
>>376024
>Call a meeting with the two Lords
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY1iZLLsIxw

I'll keep it going, just playing Stellaris.

Mulling over some hard decisions, you decide that you will take a more diplomatic approach to these men. You sent out two riders, one headed northwest and one directly north to both rulers.

Three days pass by before you first rider returns with the return message that Jarnberaland will show and then another day before the same message is returned from Helsingland.

Ordering your servants to prepare a small feast, you begin thinking how you will handle these men.

>Peaceful approach
>Suspicious approach
>Aggressive approach
>>
>>376124
>Peaceful approach
Make sure to hint that we have ties with Saxony. Then see how they react.
>>
>>376124
>>Peaceful approach
>>
It was four days total before both men showed up giving you time to learn a little about each.

The first man, Jarl Hakon Gunnesson is an incredibly fearsome looking man. Standing at 6,9 (2.10 m) with long, greying hair and a stone face, you know this man has never lost a single battle save one in his younger years to which he still broods on making him an unforgiving man. You are unsure if this man would spill info even if he knew anything, you consider him a harder nut to crack than the other, Kare Iversson. A jovial looking man with white hair and a long flowing beard (think Santa Claus), accompanied by an entourage of beautiful women and a flagon of mead.

"So, you've finally decided to meet with us." says Hakon with a disdainful manner. "Well, go on, speak! I haven't all day!"

"Calm now, my stoic friend." exclaims Kare. "It seems our new neighbor wishes to speak. So, let him and for once, put a smile on your face!"

"My Jarls" you begin. "It seems to me that some unmarked men have been on my borders and not just on my borders, but killing my timber-men." they say nothing "Now, I assure you. I wish for there to be no bad blood between us, we are all the same in the Eye of Odin and it would be a travesty for us to come to harsh terms on such short notice." You ask your servant girl to fetch them mead "Har!" Kare exclaims "I have just the thing for you to try!" he hands you a cup "Here, try this. It was mulled in oaken barrels for TEN years! Something I have been working on." Hakon looks you dead in the eye. "Are you accusing us of something, boy?!" as he stands up immediately "I've no TIME for this nonsense. I have people to lead, mouths to feed and a land to rule!" as he begins to leave you call out "I'll have you know I am not alone!" he turns around as Kare sits, confused looking. "I just want you to know that I've met with Saxon lords and men just two weeks past. We have a sort of...agreement." you drink deeply. "I have his back, he has my back." he turns around and proceeds to sit back down.

I want any one here to sort of, free choice. How would you approach next?
>>
>>376160
Some sort of treaty to help improve relations.
Maybe marriage of kin
And Annual raids when we all go together to raid a big target like paris.
Also maybe trade to improve all our holds

Lets see if we can't pick up some roman tech from raiding western europe. Maybe even getting dow to italy when we can
>>
>>376160
Supporting >>376169
>>
"So now listen." you say "Instead of being at each other's throats constantly and causing dissent for all our peoples, which WILL end in nothing but violence. Why not make a pact? My wife is pregnant with our first child and I am sure you have younger sons or daughters among the both of you who would be of age to betroth." the Jarls exchange looks "Also, I hold sway over the coastline but you two also have long-ships on the coast as well. Our combined strength together could reap MASSIVE benefits for all of us." you stand up and lean forward on the table, planting both hands firmly on the wood. "This is my one and ONLY offer. We can join together as one, or we can kill each other until there is no more men left to defend any invaders on any of our lands. What say you?"

Kare immediately stands and proclaims "It would be glorious to plunder the rich cities of the West with you! As it just so happens, I have a 1 year old granddaughter, if you should bare an heir. I also have a 6 year old son if you should have a daughter! Let us bind them together as soon as he or she is born!" he lifts a mug "To your health!"

Hakon, however, is less than amused. "Hmph, I see through your lies. You are a deceitful, back-stabbing stain on my boot and I will not bow to you, boy!" and just as he says that, his men come bursting through. What you think is an attempt at assassination on your life, turns out to be quite false. His men rush him and begin to stab him through and through as he tries to reach for his sword in vain. When the bloody ordeal is over the biggest of the group looks to you and says "This man was nothing but a cruel, vain and ill-tempered son of a pig and I do not wish to fight in an already lost battle. Our shields and spears are yours!" as they salute you with spears.

>Population: 670 in total, 60 in your hold
>Influence: Small
>Total goods and resources: 9/50

Allies: Jarnbernaland, Helsingland. NAP: Saxony.

Food: 6
Metal: 3

Next focus

>>
>>376202
>B: Research
>>
>>376202
>B: Research
>>
A
>>
Oh, and let's go wesssssssst.
>>
>>376202
>D: Diplomacy/WarP
Plan a raid with Kare.

>biggest of the group
What's his name? Keep an eye on him, he just killed his leader, who says it's not you next time... Assure the new people, that you're a fair ruler.
>>
>>376228
Research what though?
>>
>>376396
I suppose that QM will give us options.
We don't know what tech we have already mastered, and some stuff it's too advanced for us to investigate.
>>
>>376202
Hot Damn
GG Hakon

Let's go with
>B. Research
>>
>>376202
>B research
>>
About an hour late, but I am here now.
>>
>>380563
This is Odin Borrson
>>
>>380565
So, Research or Diplomacy/War?
>>
>>380624
Not sure yet. Want to see if more people show up. If not, well, it looks like it'll be over.
>>
I'm here
>>
It seems people show up around 1 PM my time so like 2 hours. I want to keep this going but will wait till then. If not, I will still write something in hope.
>>
>>380804
I'm here
>>
It looks overwhelmingly for B so we'll go with it.

A few days pass, when you notice your dwindling supplies all across the board. Realizing the severity of the issue, you must take action against those who have resources. What bothers you though, is that your ships are too large and can be seen from far away and without enough speed, you simply can't outrun them. You ask your shipwrights to bring forth ideas.

"Well, I may have an idea." one says. "What if instead of building wide, we build longer."
"What do you mean? Please share." you ask
"Well, look how big and bulky our ships are, we can only make it as far as the coast." he brings forward a small figurine of a strange looking ship. It's smaller, much smaller than raidships with a slender deck and only room for six, maybe ten men and some cargo.
"What is this?" you ask "It looks like it could burn up in a second!"
"You're right." he replies "Here's the hook though. This ship can move much faster and is think enough to go down-river. Instead of bringing five larger ships, why not ten smaller ones, be able to carry more and be out of there before they knew what hit them?!"

His logic is sound and could possibly work. "I'll return with an answer by tomorrow."

"Very good sir." as they all walk out when your steward approaches.
"Sir, a moment?"
"What is it?"
"I've an altogether different idea. What if we take our existing ships and build upon them. We could add another deck for rowers and have much more room for cargo as well as men. They would also have arrow slits and docking boards. They would be slow, but much more durable."

Having to make a tough choice, being forced to only choose one. You mull it over....

>Larger ships "War-ships'
>Faster ships "Long-boats"
>>
Longship
>>
>>380949
>Long ship
We'll going to need to be able to go through rivers
>>
Alright, all here roll a d100 for longship design and amount.
>>
Rolled 100 (1d100)

>>381018
>>
>>381076
Damn.
>>
>>381018
Op I'm here, gonna put this quest straight up the pages. Let's revive the quest now.
>>
Rolled 81 (1d100)

>>381018
OP
>>
>>381018
Hey OP, i just got caught up. lets see where this 100 takes us
>>
>>382497
OP always start 9 est so come back that time
>>
>>381076
DAYUM son!
>>
File: losangelesclasslongship.jpg (43KB, 383x438px) Image search: [Google]
losangelesclasslongship.jpg
43KB, 383x438px
>>381076
holy shit.

fleet of stealth submarines when?
>>
Where dat OP
>>
Come the fuck on, this is a good quest, why'd it have to die?
>>
>>394757
it happened before with medieval count
rip (again) op
Thread posts: 187
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.