[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/qtg/ - Quest Thread General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 296
Thread images: 42

File: qtg.png (66KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
qtg.png
66KB, 500x500px
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QM's. Posters looking for advice on tabletop games should look elsewhere.

Please do not shitpost, and please report any shit posters attempting to derail discussion or cause strife. This means avoiding tripfag drama or discussion about subjects such as getting rid of /qst/.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/p43nAY7b
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory/
https://twitter.com/tgquestlist/lists/quest-master-directory (UPDATED LIST)
These are two directories containing the tweets of many current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. To get added to the second list, tweet @tgQuestList. Spamming tweets unrelated to your quest may result in its removal.

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics and politics)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anime)

Discord server (Can provide feedback to new QM's, but shitposting is a bannable offense):
https://discord.gg/0zE5SDpEB4RQRNyY

>QM Question
What inspired you to start the game you're running now (or plan to run)? Music? Games? Another Quest/Civ before now?

>Player Question
We asked about what would catch your attention while looking through the catalog...but what KEEPS your attention for the long haul?

>Bonus Question
Favorite thing to snack on while running or participating in a Quest/Civ/etc. Drinks are also acceptable. What fuels you?
>>
"The most important possession humanity has is history.

Without history, humanity is but another species of livestock, which it happens to be. Humanity has been the host of a parasite for over five millennia.

However, the gift of human history, is the one sword humanity may use to finally rid itself of this parasite.

History is a oscillation of tragedy and comedy.

In order to create, we must destroy. In order to love, we must hate. For there to be peace, there must be war. Rebirth, reconciliation and pacification, all are the products of these opposites.

History is but a series of opposites merging with each other, forming something greater. At times however, something prevents the unison of these opposites.

We are the guardians of human history. We sacked Rome, scourged Eurasia in the Middle Ages. Plunging Europe more than thrice into war, we filled the soil of Europe with the corpses of millions of innocents, filling death camps and gulags. We burnt Tokyo, nuked Hiroshima, bombed Vietnam, starved Ethiopia.

We did all of this to restore the balance to human history and to prepare humanity for the end of it's childhood.

In three days, we will force humanity to evolve, to finally confront its ancestral enemy on an equal footing.

We are the Illuminati. As the heirs of Stalin's legacy, we will show no mercy to humanity as we force it to be reborn into something greater.

"
>>
>>307556

>QM Question
A bit of everything, but mostly I want to put up a fair challenge.

>Player Question
Peter Titmouse threads, and silly things without much context.

>Bonus Question
Carrots, or soap.

To the rest of you; what kind of quest would you like to see? I want something to make me feel in danger. =w=
>>
File: National Dungeon Crawl League.png (53KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
National Dungeon Crawl League.png
53KB, 1000x1000px
>>307556
>QM Question

Moneyball, Super Dungeon Explore, old NACL threads on /tg/ and Football Manager 2014
>>
File: 2.jpg (646KB, 892x890px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
646KB, 892x890px
>>307556

>QM Question
I had an idea of a story and decided to leave it completely open-ended and make it a quest instead. Probably my biggest influence is Paladin of Avalon. It is the best quest that I have ever read and been a part of.

>Player Question
Long-term attention for me requires a good base premise that has substance. ie Paladin. Although crazy ridiculousness such as Greentext Quest that also manages to have a plot keeps me coming back.

>Bonus Question
When running I tend to have a drink of some kind with me, just for something to calm down nerves or do while waiting for players.
>>
A question for players, if a normal quest gets lewd, do you leave it or stick with it?
>>
>>307962
If it's a random tonal shift that isn't good, but if it's a natural outcome of the story (hooking up with the waifu) then it's fine. Don't want it going overboard though.
>>
>>307694
I want something with robots, sexy robots please
>>
>>307962
Really, if it gets lewd then I'm probably one of the cunts pushing for it. So no, I usually leave for other only vaguely related reasons at that point.
>>
>>307962
Most quests that end up turning lewd start with pretty obvious signs, like 3-4 updates into the thing and you surely already have a thic woman appearing or someone transforming into a sucubbus, so its pretty much at the beginning of the quest.
>>
>>307962

>>307976
This. But I will generally stay whether lewd or not. So long as the qm can write lewd if not effectively at least consistently.
>>
>>307556
>QM Question
A comment from an anon on /tg/ and Stan Rogers' songs. Though at the speed it's going, 'running' is an overstatement. That's largely due to my subpar writing and lack of drawfagging, though.

>Player Question
A conscientious protagonist, and no lengthy character drama or large crunch lists of attributes.

>Bonus Question
I often don't eat while running. When I do eat, it's mostly small oranges, biscuits, kitkats and cheap whisky.
>>
>>>303059

This is a Quest where you wake up in a new body (a girl's) and uncover the mystery of how this happened to you, why, and what lies in store.
>>
File: Turnip Tale Title.png (83KB, 467x333px) Image search: [Google]
Turnip Tale Title.png
83KB, 467x333px
Just popping in and asking people what they think of this title card. Trying to plan out a Quest I wanna run.

You play as a squire named "Turnip". It's just a nickname, but most of the "monsters" in the world, at least at the beginning, are some kind of vegetable, fruit, plant, etc.

Trying to go for something lighthearted and fun, though not necessarily grossly cute or anything.
Just wanna do something that doesn't take itself TOO serious, y'know?
>>
>>308405
I feel like light-hearted quests do really well on /qst/. Doubly so if art is involved, I don't know if you are drawquesting, but I think you will get more than a few nibbles from interested anons if you nail it.
>>
>>308405
Sounds like Cucumber Quest (webcomic written/drawn by Hiimdaisy).
>>
>>308413
Well I hope mine is recieved well enough.
I'm trying to keep it shorter in scope, that way it doesn't, like, wear out its welcome, y'know?

>>308423
A little? I read that way back in the day, but honestly, the biggest connection might just be a protag with a vegetable for a name. I mean, yeah, it'll be more the PG-side of things, but, yeah...hopefully it won't come across as a rip-off or something.
>>
File: The base is closed.png (347KB, 1000x1600px) Image search: [Google]
The base is closed.png
347KB, 1000x1600px
>>307556
> QM Question
Girls und Panzer of course, but also stuff like Moneyball, Starship Troopers, general cute girls doing cute things, etc. Also Jurassic Park.

Music helps too, along with WWII themed vidya.

>>307795
> Moneyball
yeeeeee
>>
>>307556
>QM
I don't know, I started replaying Morrowind and realized that at the time there wasn't really an open-format adventure-focused quest with a well developed setting on the board. I started making my setting, then after a couple months of work started my current quest.

>Player
Well developed characters and their interactions, or a really interesting setting with lore to explore. Ideally, both.

>Bonus
Beer, or a little G&T. Scotch is also good.
>>
Testing the waters a little bit. The below is a mini-quest:

"Within three days, humanity will enter a new era. It will grow infinitely stronger, infinitely wiser. It will finally triumph over its most ancient enemy, an enemy which has poisoned and afflicted for far too long, a parasite seemingly impossible to throw off.

But first, pick a difficulty level.
"

[] Evil Mother (Hardest)
[] Ambitious Long-Haired Pretty Boy (Normal)
[] Meme-lord (Easy)
>>
>>309575
no.

>>307962
>normal
>not already having a baseline lewd level
if it didn't have lewd, it was already unusual.
>>
when is the next greentext quest?
>>
>>>303059

Mystery. Some lewdness. Potential for Horror. This is New Life Quest #1 continued.
>>
>QM
I watched Konosuba (even though I usually dislike anime) and felt that the attitude it had about itself and the way it delivered its comedy would fit well in a quest.

>Bonus
Food usually distracts me when writing.

I have a couple questions for players:
To what degree should a QM form to the players' schedule, and vice versa,
and how much interaction between players QM is acceptable?
>>
Here's a question for QMs:

How do you create meaningful and interesting choices? I find it very hard to create choices that don't feel inconsequential.
>>
File: HGQOP.jpg (1002KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HGQOP.jpg
1002KB, 1920x1080px
>>309954
>>309954
>>309954
The Climax and Ending of The Grim Knight Arc in HGQ has been posted! Enjoy!
>>
File: op17.jpg (493KB, 3000x2400px) Image search: [Google]
op17.jpg
493KB, 3000x2400px
New thread for Melancholic Quest, things might be a-okay.

>>309952
>>
>>309959
Be ready to throw away all your plans for the quest. That's how you do it!

QM is a LOT about making things up on the spot, and trying for them to come out nice. If they don't, they don't, but they have to make sense to the plot.
>>
>>309959
Don't pose them any answers.
Make sure you plan 2 or 3 threads ahead for major player decisions, and then when the time comes, simply let them write it in.
If you've set it up properly, there will only be two or three decisions that the player feels they can make anyway, so you don't have to blatantly state them. That takes away nearly all the impact.
Players have to think from their own subjective moral perspective, not from yours, and come to the difficult decision on their own. This will give choices far greater meaning.
>>
>>310149
I beg to differ. Prompts are just as meaningful and can have just as much impact as write-ins. Offering both is good.
Offering only the option of write-ins can lead to a lot of silence, but that's a minimal risk.
>>
>>310149
>>310153
Is there any way to combine prompts and write-ins? Something like prompts for micro managing actions and write ins for more general strategy/direction.
>>
>>310153
That's fair, but it requires a more active part in character development from the QM.
Free form allows players to explore the inner workings of characters at their leisure and to any extent they feel is necessary, which makes for a more natural exaltation, especially in the case of life or death scenarios.
>>
>>310159
Well it's important to remember that even if players write-in after every post, you still have total control over the direction of the story.

When it comes down to it, the players' choice is an illusion regardless of what choices they make.
>>
>>310160
>inner workings of characters at their leisure and to any extent they feel is necessary
That runs the risk of breaking the character's actual personality and characteristics. Several players might feel as though the QMC is one way and another bunch of players feel the QMC is someone else entirely.

In the end, you're left with a schizophrenic character with multiple personality disorder at best.
>>
>>310165
Of course, but I'm thinking more in terms of concrete mechanics. I'm a very new QM and I'm not sure how to handle it. Just write something like: (What is your strategy?) or ask for a more detailed plan? It probably comes down to personal opinion, but I'd like to know what you guys think.
>>
>>310167
You still have power of suggestion over the players.
Just by writing a few lines of dialogue for the QMC, you can still offer the players free form choice, while simultaneously shaping every player's view of the character.

>>310178
In this case, I would say you should offer concrete options like Awoo says. Or, at the very least use dialogue to mentally suggest concrete options to the players while offering them a free form response.
Either way, you solidify a set of acceptable answers from the players.
>>
>>309959
Well, I keep writing until I hit a point where I think "Man, I've kinda run out of shit to write for this segment, better toss in some options and post it."
Usually this means the options correspond, at the very least, to mildly important changes in course for the quest. A shift from interacting with NPCs to reading up on lore or shopping or preparing for something, for instance.
>>
Would people be interested in a sort of bastard offspring of a quest and nation builder, where the PCs are cultist leaders on an imperial world? You'd go about building up your heresy and trying to gain power, while trying not to be killed off by the church/arbites/inquisition.

PCs would almost certainly be killed off along the way due to bad decisions and/or bad rolls, but I was thinking a sort of rolling membership where people can reroll or new people join as others are killed off.

Does the idea have promise? Is it shit? Should I feel bad? Anyone have any ideas about how I should or should not run it, if I do?
>>
>>310227
sounds neat. i would participate if i saw anything like this, seems like it's right up my alley. although i would prefer more quest elements and character reaction than civ stuff
>>
>>309028
Thread today boss? Also, samefags, what do?
>>
Another question for players, have you ever left a quest, and if so, why?
>>
Hey lads, where is the aerohomo?
>>
>>310422
One of them really suffered from pacing issues, felt a bit railroady, and had a playerbase I was kind of fed up with. All of that kept compounding til I left.

Another one just kinda got boring, the writing speed got really slow and the playerbase could be extremely autistic some times.

And another I just got fed up with the haremshit going into overdrive which peaked when the MC fucked a kid and a bunch of other girls outside the harem due to a drunk roll and no choice from the players. QM just up and decided that shit.
>>
>>310422
pandering to namefags, QM ruining the IC quest by spoiling/attentionwhoring, railroads for several threads, tones changes (turning a serious business quest into a memefest; removing any action for a couple threads of tldr heavyhanded redundant boring exposition), mechanics that kills an already slow-ish pacing, undefined basic traits/background of MC or general lore after several threads.
>>
>>310630
Is this all one quest or just things over the course of a bunch of quests that caused you to drop?
>>
>>310334
Check Twitter, famalam. I should start paying attention to due dates.
>>
>>310636 I'm thinking of 3 distinct quests.
>>
File: tegaki.png (6KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
6KB, 400x400px
>>310676
Name all of them
>>
>>310565
>>310630
I hope any of them were not mine. Could you say what the name of the quests were?
>>
>>310708
Blood Moon Quest
DBZ Tuffle Quest
Shadows of Zeon Quest
>>
FallQuest returns. Thread is online for another day, my peeps.
All and any criticism, interest and participation is encouraged and highly appreciated.

>>302052
>>310774
>>
>>307556
>QM Question
>Whirlpool Quest
Waterworks, obviously (it's at the OP pic). I am as obsessed with it as the average homestuck nutter is with homestuck, obviously my quest is a fanfic quest. In fact, I ran here supposedly as a "test run" before doing it "for real" in Eagle-Time/Omega Update. Then I got too invested.

>The Wild Bunch (postponed)
Thelegendaryp's Dark Souls videos. The titular group of PVP builds has just enough characterization for me to work a quest from. The quest's setting though (Mega-Lordran) was from my own design to facilitate multiple main characters. Maybe I should include the rest of the Sark Douls characters like Wanda and Stonewall.

--

>Player Question
>We asked about what would catch your attention while looking through the catalog...but what KEEPS your attention for the long haul?
Active QMs (Peter Titmouse), the quest related to something I like (the Red Alert quest), I've interacted with the QM on Discord (Genre Shift)
>>
File: 1465435652905.png (415KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1465435652905.png
415KB, 1000x1000px
>>307556
>QM Question
A certain picture got my creative juices flowing and within 20 minutes of seeing it, I started a quest.

>Bonus Question
Coke, Juice, my player's tears, and Hot coco.
>>
>>310646
How's essay writing on easy mode (ie, access to peer reviewed databases)? Thirty seconds boss, thirty seconds.
>>
>>307556
>QM Question
Been a foreverDM for forever now, so I got interested in making a game I could run with less conflicting agendas. Not any good of a writer, so I struggle. Great inspirations have been Soma's Banished quest and Languid's Hellborn quest (I still owe the man some fanart, should get to that).

>Player Question
Good writing, interesting characterization, innovative and creative world building. Basically everything I want to bring to a Quest myself, although I humbly struggle to do so.

>Bonus Question
Redbull and whisky, pina coladas and homecooked meals, mostly pasta and different meats. Also, a good advice to any bachelors out there is to reheat your pizza on a frying pan by flipping it. Gets crispy.
>>
Anyone knows what happened to Medieval Count's QM? I really liked his quest, but he just vanished.
>>
File: OPB.png (144KB, 641x641px) Image search: [Google]
OPB.png
144KB, 641x641px
Just dropped ACT 4
>>311211

>>QM Question
>What inspired you to start the game you're running now (or plan to run)? Music? Games? Another Quest/Civ before now?

Man, I just love boxing. I like thinking about what's going on in the heads of boxers. Rocky, Hajime no Ippo, and Punch-Out. Cinderella Man. Playing a fuck ton of boxing games. Also love shounen shit sometimes so this is a way of living that in a way. hahah

>>Bonus Question
>Favorite thing to snack on while running or participating in a Quest/Civ/etc. Drinks are also acceptable. What fuels you?

Ideally a Crown/Jack and Coke. Fried chicken sometimes. Bout to get a pizza. Whatever's on hand really, but most often some chips and a Dr. Pepper Cherry
>>
How would I go about making a Stargate Quest?

Im thinking maybe alternate timeline/reality Atlantis expedition, but I have no idea what kind of missions there'd be.
>>
Hi all, join us at >>311379 for Space Marine Applicant Quest!

Our initiate is making an arduous and daring Hunt across a desert world to prove his capabilities to the Horned Lions, a successor chapter to the Dark Angels.

We're out of fate points, and we tend to roll shitty, so you may see untimely PC death as well!
>>
What's the etiquette on creating new threads?
I didn't notice the 3 day autosage limit and updated my thread really slowly so now it's on its way off the board with a new post and no replies...
>>
>>311550
Would like to know this too
>>
>>311550
>>311751
I'd say just make a new thread. No use trying to wait around in a sinking ship, so to speak.
No one's gonna blame you for starting again, I'd think.
>>
I can't draw for shit so it'd be a written quest. Would it be better just to make it all text though, or to try and include some relevant picture when one can be found and is appropriate? I'd basically be scouring google where it mattered for some relevant pic.
>>
>>311836
Build up a folder of images related to the subject matter before running the quest, and insert them as needed. You don't need to have an image for each post, but set pieces and character art are starting points.
>>
Here's a QM question: What makes a good player?
>>
>>311873
I'd say it's respect.
Not trying to sound like some tryhard Godfather-type person, but I think it's as simple as that.
Respect for the tone the QM's going for. Not trying to derail into bullshit at every turn. Not trying to force an option time and time again.
Basically just respect for the QM and other players' choices.
>>
>>307556
>QM Question
Case Files has been a fun read and I wanted to get back into the questing business, so things ended up matching pretty well.

Also traditional shill. If you like Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime, Kara no Kyoukai, or other Nasuverse stuff, come stop by.
>>308846
>>
>>311850
Cool thanks for the advice.
>>
File: 1465429126596.png (300KB, 880x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1465429126596.png
300KB, 880x1200px
>>311873
Someone that never lurks, always participates, and strives towards creating discussions around quest-related topics during/after each session. Basically players who are invested. That's partly the responsibility of the QM, but there's gotta be motivation there to begin with too.

But hey, you can't have everything in life and quests.
>>
>>311959
A player has absolutely no obligation to remain invested in a quest.

The only responsibilities that a player holds in the duality are to respect the QM, and to respect the other players.

If a quest is bad or the player doesn't like it, they are well within their right to leave, and that doesn't make them a bad player.
>>
File: Awoo sleeping.jpg (75KB, 700x560px) Image search: [Google]
Awoo sleeping.jpg
75KB, 700x560px
>>312000
>A player has absolutely no obligation to remain invested in a quest.
Please point out where I said they have an obligation to be/remain invested in a quest.

I was answering that question on what I think makes a good player. If you don't like my subjective view on the matter, then frankly, that's your problem.
>>
>>312017
Well you certainly implied in the language you used that if a player sometimes lurked, didn't always participate, or didn't strive toward creating discussions around the subjects of the quest, or to use your words, basically players who aren't entirely invested, that they were a bad player.

I'll agree that players who contribute to discussion about moving forward are certainly preferable, as they generate interest and give the quest a more solid foundation.

However, players who do not choose to do these things are not bad players, and a player should in no way feel that they have to actively offer a part of their life to a quest to earn the appreciation of the QM.

That's my subjective view on the matter.
>>
>>312041
See, you're the one using the word "bad player" here, not me. I never said, nor implied that if you didn't meet any of my subjective "standards" for a good player, you're automatically a "bad player". That's just something you've assumed without actually asking outright if that's what I meant. Don't assume too much.

Thank you for your "input" nonetheless. I won't be continuing this discussion.
>>
>>312062
Woah, the proper term is false dichotomy.
>>
File: 1383232555513.png (20KB, 334x370px) Image search: [Google]
1383232555513.png
20KB, 334x370px
>>312065
You're absolutely correct.
>>
>>312062
Fair.

>>312065
I think I'm guilty of a false equivalency, not a false dichotomy.
>>
>>312078
Assuming players must either meet Awoo's standards to be good and if they are not good they are bad would be a false dichotomy. False equivalency would be something else or maybe it's both?
>>
>QM Question

It was the week or two before finals and while browsing around 4chan at like, 10 at night I saw that a new board had been made. I clicked it and dicked around, read up about what quest were and stuff and decided it would be fun to try.

As for like the story, I remember having a dream about a little blonde girl alone on a bus at night, looking out the window.

I used the SH2 soundtrack when I started writing to help me get in the mood though.

>Bonus Question

I try to drink water, but sometimes I get the craving for something sweet and I'll allow myself a can of soda or two while writing. I have to cook for the house though so not really snacking.
>>
>>312083
Falsely equating his views to a false dichotomy that he didn't propose I guess.

Regardless of my logical fallacy, I still stand by the thesis, even if it is no longer applicable to Awoo.
>>
What quest has been going on the longest now?
>>
>>312156
The longest? Totemist quest. It has been running for the longest amount of time. I don't actually know about quantity, though, because different people have different length posts, different length threads, etc.
>>
>>312156
Melancholic, and that one's still active
>>
>>312128
what, >>312000 ?

....yeah. I guess. I am less worried by the statement than the fact that someone felt that it should be explicitly declared.
>>
>>311873
got nothing against >>311881

But at the same time, there needs to be.....direction. While respecting the current tone, suggest MULTIPLE avenues for it to progress. Worrying too much over offending someone will slowly grind the pace to a halt, taking more from the QM just to keep going.

So, players that also peek ahead, both IC and narratively.
>>
>>311873
Creativity. =w=

It doesn't matter if the choice goes against the QM's wishes, as long as the idea is fun. After all, forfeiting all of your plans is part of a QM's daily life.
>>
>>307556
Stop using the shitty Spooky pastebin
>>
File: 1380298623076.jpg (110KB, 590x735px) Image search: [Google]
1380298623076.jpg
110KB, 590x735px
>>312584
Nyaa?
>>
yo, umm, the OP from the NMH 2 thread came back, but the thread is in full sage mode, and we're the only niggas in that thread right now, if anyone could help us archive it, that'd be great, cause neither me or the OP no how to archive threads.
>>
>>312700
javascript:quote('312709');
testing
>>
>>312711
>>312709
fuck it, just here's the thread
>>
File: Juggernut n Tomatoad.png (61KB, 433x233px) Image search: [Google]
Juggernut n Tomatoad.png
61KB, 433x233px
Man. >>308405 here. I'm drawing out some of the enemies/characters and I'm pretty stoked. I'm trying to keep things simple that way I can just crank out a lot of designs and drawings.
I kinda want the drawings to be secondary, that way I don't get bogged down with getting those out more than actually writing the damn thing. Here's just a few, for shits n' gigs:

Just kinda posting 'cause I'm kinda legit pumped for this thing.
>>
>>307556
This board is the best thing to happen to this site, I think. Lots of potential. Lots of talented writers, DMs, QMs, and CMs. Never get rid of it. Ever.
>>
>Finally finished the first draft of a short story I intend to submit to a few literary journals.
>Potential to actually get paid somewhere between $30 and $450 depending on the journal, but probably $30
>Can't post it anywhere for feedback because then it would technically be a published work.
Suffering.
>>
>>312776
I like the artsytle, the drawings look pretty cute and perfect for a more light-hearted adventure. Even though you plan for the quest to be more silly in nature, are you considering to write a semi-serious plot to it? Maybe something like different factions like "Fruits", "Veggies", "Nut family", "Bean family", "Weeds". Weeds are not real veggies, purge the heathens!

>Juggernut n Tomatoad
I'm guessing there will be lots of word play and puns That's pretty cherryfic!

All in all, looks pretty fun. Any estimate when you will be starting the quest?
>>
gundam quest (y/n)
>>
>>312776
Looking great! =w=
I hope you don't rely on dices too much. It kinda takes influence from the players.
>>
>>310227

Fuck yes, to me that's the best way to run those kin of games.
>>
>>310422

Joker. Not because of any quality reasons, but because at some point things were just outright spiteful for everyone involved. Nearly all of it was the players' fault, but there was an entire arc about kicking the QMC when he was down.

Literally the only reason why the story got to this point is because the villains are actively sabotaging each other.
>>
>>307802
>Probably my biggest influence is Paladin of Avalon
Wait what. Somebody here has read that?
Please describe your experience in more detail.
>>
>>307556
>but what KEEPS your attention for the long haul

A few things.

Structure. Nothing is worse than a quest ran by someone who clearly hasn't given it thought beyond "Oh X is cool, lets play a game of that." Some people can write on the fly really well and build up a good quest... Most can't

QMs who ignore the retards and filter through the nonsense are great as well. You'll always have shit posters and people who've dropped into /qst/ just to fuck with the players. You also get /d/eviants who think it's cool to make every game their own personal fetish playground. QMs who don't take that shit on and integrate it with the quest are great.

Consistency and predictability. Don't just stop updating and drop of the fucking map and then come back two days later and bitch because no one gives a fuck about your quest anymore. It's your own fault. If you have to stop, say so. If you plan to come back, say so. If you can't run at least once a week, you better be fucking amazing otherwise no one will give a fuck.

Finally, a twitter handle. I don't want to have to filter through all the shit on this board to find your quest. If you have a twitter account and keep us updated on when you plan to run, you are a fucking champion.
>>
Star Wars Scoundrel Quest Pt. II is here. Let me know what you think if you're interested!
>>313265
>>
>>312860
Hey, thanks! Sorry for the less-than-timely response. I was thinking it'll be more or less lighthearted overall, but with real trials/foes to come up against.
Turnip won't be outside of town pickin' daisies and doin' side quests the WHOLE time.
Also yes. Definitely as much wordplay and punning as my feeble brain can come up with.

>Any estimate when you will be starting the quest?
Realistically around Sunday or the start of next week. I DM a D&D game on the weekends and work all week, so it slows down my production a bit, but hopefully I'll have the first "Chapter"-worth of stuff written or drawn by then.

>>312910
Thanks, friend! It's simple, but I'm kinda happy/proud for it, anyhow.

>I hope you don't rely on dices too much
I won't, I think? Combat will still use a dice system, but non-combat stuff won't be TOO randomized, as far as success/failure goes. Randomizing results can be fun, but ultimately I think it's made previous quests I've run more fickle and players tend to lose focus trying to make the impossible happen.
>>
>try to make my first quest thread
>it dies miserably
I just want to write shit dammit
>>
For those interested, KOF Quest: Reborn #8 is NOT going to run today. I plan to run it tomorrow @ 10 AM PST/1 PM EST

Also, The Fast Life: A Racing Quest will continue as soon as I get a new computer and actually making OC for it.

>QM Question

For KOF Quest:R, it's mostly my love of fighting games and how... "Livable" SNK's universes are compared to other series.

For The Fast Life, it's my appreciation for the human aspect of professional motor racing's history and some of the larger-than-life characters in the sport, not to mention the technical side of creating a better mousetrap than the other team (Something that's honestly lost in racing a lot of the time nowadays IMO).

>Player Question

I like good dialogue, characters I can really invest in and/or connect with and a decent world to dive into. Random bouts of insanity are also fun from time to time, but can tire me quickly.

>Bonus Question

It depends on whether i'm at home or out and about my hometown. If I'm at home, I usually cook up some home-made burritos and pound ice water.

If I'm out and about in town, I usually go to where I can find free Wi-Fi, so Donut Shop in the morning and a burger place in the afternoon. Sometimes a Pizza joint if there's some /sp/ stuff going on.
>>
>>313471
Try it somewhere else? /tg/, Akun?
>>
>>313471
What quest was it?
>>
>>307556
>QM Question
Lots of quests, lots of games, and a lot of time spent enjoying them and just thinking of what I might run someday. And some encouraging words on top of those.

>Player Question
Little things, mostly. Characters that build themselves up, choices that carry through with consistency, and a reactive world are some of the standouts.

>Bonus Question
Awful coffee and Steinburg.

>>311873
I've always liked players invested enough to go out of their way to establish their own goals. When participating in quests I find they're the type that come up with the more interesting write-ins, and it's always neat to see QM's react to their desires.

Incidentally, the second thread/fourth session of Dark Spirit Quest is up;
>>313875
>>
File: solemn.gif (371KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
solemn.gif
371KB, 500x375px
Aspiring QM here.
What do you do if you have a dozen of vague quest ideas, but no strong opinion on which you should run?
>>
>>314004
Combine them all into one idea for a single quest!
>>
>>314004
Find something you feel passion for. It can be vague, clear, complex, simple, you name it as long as it starts a fire in your fingers and an urge to write. See which one of your dozen vague quest ideas that can support said thing the best, incorporate it, and there you go.
>>
[i]testing [b]testing[/b] testing[/i]
>>
>>314004

Go with the one that interests you the most.
>>
>>314004
The Adventures of Super-Soldier Golem-Viking Elder-Mage monster Commissar Guardian, in the land of fantasy-19th-century underwater jungle discworld Quest?

I think the resulting protagonist alone would kill the quest

>>314032
>>314048
Well that's the thing. My passion and interest fluctuates fast. Like near a Swedish buffet. First I am in love with the shrimp, then five minutes later I'm burying myself in the chocolate fountain, and I didn't even get close to the nacho.

Should I just slap it in a randomizer and use whatever comes first?
>>
>>313678

Search the catalog for Merkantus. What oh what did I do wrong?
>>
>>314092
I think the character creation did it.
The way I've seen things it is more beneficial to drop the players in a story, and then let them pick it up.

Or even if you let them make the character, don't give too many choices to them. Like in your last post; you gave 17 different options. Even if you have 10 players at once (which is a lot) they are definitely going to choose 10 different, and you'll get nowhere.
>>
Is it cool to advertise a quest here?
>>
>>314087
Alternatively you could post short descriptions for all your vague quest ideas in here and gauge the interest? Pick the one that garners most interest.

Or don't run at all if your interest fluctuates so fast. You might lose interest and stop just 3-4 threads in.

>>314127
Go for it.
>>
>>314134
>>314098

Cool :D
>>
>>314127
I think it has to happen if you want to quest to stay up. Since because of the autosage, the catalog can't tell anyone which quests are currently running, unless it is followed on twitter.

>>314134
If I'll start running I'll stick with it. There are a few quests I follow on the weekends, so I'll probably keep myself interested in the weekdays with my own. I started a quest one, but it was about survival, and half way in I realized I don't know jack about surviving in the wilderness.

I think you'll right, I'll throw one idea every few days, and see if it gets any replies
>>
FallQuest is online once more!
All participation and criticism is highly appreciated!
>>313844
>>
File: 1352363064078.jpg (246KB, 890x497px) Image search: [Google]
1352363064078.jpg
246KB, 890x497px
I'm conflicted. Kind of want to start a quest, but there's a few things I'm not sure I can handle.
First, there's the worldbuilding. The text segments should be kept quite short to make 'em quick to write, so there's little room for it. I bet most anons have a very short attention span anyways, so I'm not sure they even care. Nobody will want to choose the "listen to the region's history" option anyways.
Second, there's the choices. I can control where the story goes even without the readers realizing it since they don't know anything about the options they don't choose. Thing is, it's more fun to write a flexible storyline than a rigid one, but also a hell of a lot more difficult and/or slow.
Wat do?
>>
>>314405
Worldbuild anyways, no matter if the players care or not. But even if you have a huge-ass notebook full of setting information, that doesn't mean you need to use exposition. You can show off your world through the narration. For example, instead of rambling about "You recall that the priestesses of this certain god worship fire for it's purifying properties" you can instead run across the priestess NPC carefully lighting a fire to throw some of her own belongings in there (because she had bad thoughts or whatever)
>>
Meh..Something : Electric Boogaloo 2

>>314487
>>314487
>>314487

meh
>>
>>314405
Quests are usually played for the interactivity. Don't underestimate players, if they like the setting, if they become interested then they'll stay, wait, and read. Provided they have the time irl.

They won't "choose the listen to the region's history", they'll have their own questions about the things they are curious, and they'll ask them once the opportunity arises.

As for choices, they'll expect certain consequences, railroading is hard to make absolute. If you want to make a flexible story, just make it. Encourage write-ins and roll with them.
>>
>>314492
>>314506
Hm, well. I'll see if I can get something done tomorrow as it's past 1am now.
I'm also a bit worried that my TZ will make me be awake in dead hours.
>>
>>313177
I'm not a fast reader, but I personally couldn't put it down. The author is a fabulous writer and MMD does a fine job translating. My only gripe is that the author doesn't post more than once or twice a week, but his posts are quite large.
>>
>>314594
What is it even about?
>>
>>314662
A paladin is sent by the holy order to an unholy monster-infested island to take down an escaped traitor who now is the leader of a city there. What ends up unfolding is a grand epic about one man challenging the world, the heavens, and hells.
>>
>>314742
That sounds suspiciously like Monster Girl Quest.
Please tell me I am absolutely wrong.
>>
>>314833
The two are similar in base nature but they diverge off into different directions pretty heavily, though. Especially in later events.
whats wrong with MGQ?
>>
>>314981
Alright, that's what's important.
Nothing, but I like my smut and my world saving sagas separate
>>
>>315022
So far there have only been two sex scenes both of them with succubi and they are each fairly short since the author is not a good smut writer (The first scene was actually re-written by a player because it was apparently just so poorly written).
>>
I didn't know there were several Fate War threads. It's pretty cool to see those in action. I got a question. When is a good time to make a new thread once your old one goes to autosage? I may not be able to run everyday.
>>
>>315109
Wait until it hits page 10. You can ride the autosaging one for 3-4 days before it falls off of the board.
>>
What kinda stuff are y'all checking out right now? I'm a big fan of the Hill Giant civ, probably the best one running right now.
>>
>>315237
Ghoul civ came back recently so I've been getting into that myself. It's got more well written characters than what I've seen in most other civs.
>>
Dungeon Life Quest will resume on Thursday, July 7th, at approximately 1 PM EST. It'll follow it's usual run schedule thereafter.

My many thanks for everyone's patience with my hiatus. It was nice to spend time with my son.

Did I miss Review Anon's feedback? I haven't been able to follow these generals lately.
>>
>>312848
I think you missed actually writing the part where he enters the portal boss. It kinda just transitions to him seeingseeing the strange passageway and then being in it.
>>
>>312848
There's also an opportunity here for the audience and character to become more persuaded to follow, or at least pliable to the Stooges. They could heal his body wound.
>>
Hey folks. Contractor quest 10 is going if anyone is interested

>>315597
>>
>>315542
He died
>>
Have never tried but figured why not, since I started checking out these general threads.

>>315705

A continuation of Prehistory, a tribal-based quest in an ancient world.
>>
I'm thinking of trying my hand at running a quest soon.
It would be a fantasy setting where music = magic and have a few influxes of magic powered modern tech to give access to modern genres of music. IE you can find DJs and Electric Guitars and so on.
It will probably end up being a very JRPG-esque plot with an evil empire that believes only their music should be allowed and something more sinister lurking for later in the story.
The PC would have been living with the mentor character outside of a Hometown Village, when evil empire comes and enslaves everyone or some such, sending the PC on their adventure.
The players would get to choose the PC's main instrument or if they'd rather just be vocal but there would still be opportunity to try different types later on.
I'd probably have have at least one youtube link to per update

Also I should note that I've never run a quest before, nor have I run or played any tabletops, so this would all be pretty new to me.
>>
>>315748
Make sure to plan your plot ahead of time with branching paths here and there.
>>
>>315748
Question: Does the evil empire have rebels that skate around to evade the Empire, rocking out when they're not being chased? Are you going to take inspiration from Jet Set Radio?
>>
>>315789
There will deferentially be a rebel group of some kind but I don't know if they will be based on Jet Set Radio. I actually hadn't thought of that game but I do like the idea so I might base a character around it.

>>315779
I'll remember that.
It might take some time before I actually get around to starting this, as I'd be working on it in my very limited free time.
>>
>>314092
>doing chargen
>worse, starting off with Are you a boy/girl
>putting so many options that it's either bandwagon from choice paralysis or no choice at all because few would even bother reading all of them
>putting up options that you were not prepared to write
>Then, THEN you put up a WEAPON VOTE
well no shit it died.

>>313471
if you wanted to just write shit without research, then don't waste time generating. If you wanted anon input but you didn't do the research, put zero effort into your choices, it will turn out better than a massive green wall.
>>
>>314092
hell, I see you even got 2 votes soon after you went to sleep! It didn't die, you killed it by not picking one and writing.
>>
>>314098

If anyone is interested in a sandbox type roleplay with "hidden" plotlines, check it out. Couple of the original cast lurking and it will start soon.
>>
File: 1458351272120.jpg (40KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
1458351272120.jpg
40KB, 550x512px
>tfw have successful, popular quest going
>kinda don't like it because I don't have that much freedom in what I can write
>know if I make my own universe and shit no one will care about it
>can't draw, only able to write

Pure suffering.
>>
>>316063
Brah, just make a brand for yourself. If you get a loyal plasterbase, they'll follow you to the new quest, and that will in turn attract new players.

At least that's what I hope will happen.
>>
>>316063
bro, create your universe. someone is bound to like it
>>
>>316063
which quest?
>>
>>315811
You don't need to plan it out so much as know where it's going. Too many quests drag on and on to get bogged down in meaningless shit and abandoned because the qm wrote themselves into a corner with no idea what the endgame would be.
and too many go on and on and never fucking end
>>
Just wrapped up a short Episode 2 where our protagonists unlocked their abilities.

>>316313

Amateur QM looking for advice on what could be a promising quest. Don't mind criticism. I'm a decent writer, I get better when I have players that have decent roleplay.
>>
>>316334

Link to the OP:>>314098|

The previous link is my problem child. I like to think I can work with most anything, though.
>>
Really, FIVE Fate/Stay Night quests of nearly similar format and similar Fuyuki-whatever?

On both boards?

Calm the fuck down guys!
>>
>>316679
nasuverse is cancer, you should know that

of course it spreads
>>
>>316334
That looks completely shit, the worst quest on /qst/.
>>
>>316712
>worst quest on /qst/
Sounds like an achievement to me.
>>
>>316679
Don't forget all of the boatslut and dragonball quests as well.
>>
>>316755
>Boatslut
3 I think. Planefag, Merc, and /qst/ guy.
>DB
>>
>>316763
Currently running on 4chan, yes. Chuckles moved to Akun, and every once in a while we get a bunch of quests based on whatever anime is running hot at the moment.
>>
>>316882
>whatever fad anime is running hot at the moment.
Hate forgetting to put in a word.
>>
File: 2143675698549453452.jpg (43KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
2143675698549453452.jpg
43KB, 640x360px
>>316882
>every once in a while we get a bunch of quests based on whatever anime is running hot at the moment.
Arslan Senki and Berserk Quest next month, right?
>>
Hey, /qtg/!
What's your opinion on, say, stats in a Quest?
I was thinking they'd be fun in the Quest I'm developing, but I can already see how much it can become to manage.
Figuring out a use for them is already a challenge. I'm gonna have the typical:
>ATK
>DEF
>HP
...but I was thinking of adding a few more for kicks. There's one to manage their special/magical attacks, ala "MP", and I think I was gonna have a stat for the bulk of out of combat encounters, a la "Charisma", stuff like social interactions, lowering shop prices, etc.
Is that already too complicated?
Would anons have any suggestions for how stats are used? Or new ones?
Should I forgo stats altogether?
I'm basically just trying to make a simple RPG-type system.
>>
>>316994
RPG-type systems are by definition more complicated than what is necessary for quests, because of the core principle of calculating total values and mix-matching equipment and abilities to achieve a certain build.

In quests, you are vastly limited in the time and format allowed to shop for equipment. Let's say you walk into an item store. How important is it to the quest as a whole when different anons argue whether to buy 2 potions, or 1 potion, 1 antidote, and 1 eye drops? If they argue about +1 ATK necklace vs +3 MP necklace? What happens when nobody even bothers voting for that section alone?

Emulating an RPG may not be.....ideal.
>>
>>317029
Super true. Is there any sort of compromise for that? I wanna feel like there's a sense of progression as the Quest goes on, and it feels like stat blocks are great for that.
Though like you said, it might not be ideal to do that in a Quest flat-out, so yeah.
I think I'll keep the ATK, DEF, HP, since they're a bit vital in how combat functions, but...maybe I can use other things instead?
Just give progression through acquired items?
No "leveling up" as it were, just getting more DEF by getting better armor, more ATK with better weapons, stuff like that?
>>
>>317029
Maybe keep the non-combat bookkeeping to post-session meta? That, and a pastebin with character sheets.
>>
>>317075
the idea is to minimize bookkeeping. Nobody wants QMing to be a chore.

>>317059
Putting a flat number when it doesn't have to be run through a computer is the sticking point. It can be used as a reference for degrees of strength, but unless you plan ahead, it will mostly serve to bite you in the ass when you didn't value a particular item/stat properly and it was used in a way that you neither expected nor makes sense within the plot.

Yes, many quests still have stats, and they do take inspiration from TTRPGs like using skill ranks and such. But using "gamey" stuff like regular item progression is inherently tied to a lot of bookkeeping and inventory tracking.

You have to MAKE these items, after all.

Go read other quests if you're looking for a compromise. Finding the middle ground to anything is always the hard part.
>>
>>317081
>>317059
and if you're going to ask me which quests to read:

1) you're outta luck, I'm going to bed

2) you technically don't need good quests, just good examples.
Find situations where the mechanics really showed flaws/benefits. Look at it from a player's perspective, then look at it again from a QM's perspective.

you could probably ask other anons which quests use X mechanic specifically, but otherwise you're on your own.
>>
>>316994
Plenty of quest have quasi stat systems that add to your rolls as you go on to show off improvement.
Banished quest and snakecatcher quest come to mind right away.
>>
After some delay, The King of Fighter's Quest: Reborn #8 is now running!

>>317290
>>317290
>>317290
>>
>>315032
Oh there is a huge difference in having some smut in the quest, and making the quest around the smut
>>
>>307556

>What inspired you to start the game you're running now (or plan to run)? Music? Games? Another Quest/Civ before now?

Whelp, I honestly was browsing the archives and found a bunch of quests called Dragon Quest, most of which were abandoned. I guess I kind of wanted to finish up in a sense, since I am a person who get's really angry whenever a QM leaves their quest to die.

Honestly, though the quests I work on is hard enough, though I keep myself going by remembering "I'm not that guy who leaves quests behind". Hell, I'm a DM in real life, it's hard enough to juggle two quests. I will say I have lots of fun with Dragon Quest, simply due to the shit that happens, like the Debate With Sparkman, as the incident will be forever called.

I also tend to have nightmares of people saying my quests or my D&D group is getting dull or boring, so yeah. That too.

>Favorite thing to snack on while running or participating in a Quest/Civ/etc. Drinks are also acceptable. What fuels you?

Bacon, not even shitting you, I fucking love bacon. I also run purely on alcohol during my quests, just to make it more interesting.
>>
>>317463
Bacon is cool.
I saw some QMs who preformed very admirably under alcohol. I wish I could do the same, but finding the words to make my writing colorful, is hard enough already
>>
>>317486
Welcome to true Scotland, we eat bacon and get drunk and start writing stories, while hearing the liberals cry outside.
Honestly I have plenty of grammar mistakes in my writing thanks to my inebriation, so it's a mixed bag.
>>
So as I said, every now and then I'll throw in one of my sublime quest ideas/synopses, and see if there is the slightest demand for it.

You are [Name in progress], an officer of the Cortian Dominion, which is currently in the middle of an expansion war. You belong to one of the cults, which usually make up the political majority of Cortian society. However due to a series of disagreements with your parent cult, you've fled, and got captured on enemy territory. Now feared as a ravenous beast on one side, and shunned as a traitor on the other, you are awaiting your not-too-bright fate inside your cell.

However, is it really best for everyone if they execute you? or are they desperate enough to allow, and maybe even support you in your vengeance?

Includes but not limited to; fantasy WW1/Napoleonic wars, fantasy commissar, fantasy penal legions,
disclaimer: I might not have the cojones to satisfy weapon enthusiasts
>>
>>317511
Interesting, might check it out later.
>>
>>317463
I tried drunk hosting before but it's a fucking nightmare because I get so unobservant that my autism kicks in once I sober up, and I end up leaving a ton of plotholes. How do you do it?
>>
>>317647
He's Scottish.
>>
Dark Spirit Quest resumes for any interested;
http://boards.4chan.org/qst/thread/313875/
>>
>>317647
The power of Scotland, and lots of practice.
Also, you got to learn how to ramp up, don't start off with the whiskey and vodka, start off with something light, get your brain used to it, then start slowly ramping up. Usually in the beginning I have a shot of watered-down beer, then at the end I'm usually on tequila, whiskey, or vodka depending on what I have in the fridge.
>>
>>317463
>>317486
Bacon is the fucking shit. I love bacon. It's God's way of saying he loves us.
>>
>>318213
or is he the jewiest of niggers?
>>
It seems to me that today's been a slow day on /qst/.
>>
HGQ tomorrow on the 30th! See you there!
>>
This is a shill post. Please check out the shilled thread at:
>>318374
It is a new quest by yours truly. I have no idea if I'm any good so please check it out.
>>
File: Title Card Slate Grey.png (19KB, 852x608px) Image search: [Google]
Title Card Slate Grey.png
19KB, 852x608px
>>307556

>QM question
I'm not even 100% sure if I will run a game, although I'd certainly like to. There's not really enough of an actual game yet to run. But I was going to make a videogame in Unity that never panned out, and I though "hey, maybe I can run this as a quest". I ended up recycling most of the ideas and what assets I could from that game into a ruleslite RPG system.

>Player Question
Good world/mythos and/or an exploration of an interesting and unique concept. I enjoy Hellborn Quest and Banished Quest for this reason, although I'm not caught up with them right now.

Could I take a quick poll, here, actually? Would anyone be interested in a quest that is best described as a mixture of Legends of the Hidden Temple and Mastaba Snoopy? Aside from that it'd be something of a Roguelike turned into a quest, a dive through a single dungeon (although a very, very large one with many floors) to get to the bottom and then back up. I can elaborate further, if needed. Pic related would be the title card.

It'd probably have something of a mutation system, with the ability to gain traits both physical and mental.

I even have something of a wordless tune written for it: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0L72Ea5r1X1
>>
>>311873
Consistency I'd say. Creativity ia great but its not that useful if it isnt line with the theme of the quest or the MC. And, as>>311881said, a polite and cooperative demeanour goes a long way.
>>
>>307556

>>QM Question
Currently running a quest based on the Overlord (game) universe, and I tried to make my choice structure similar to Euro Dragon Quest.
Current thread
>>315581

>>Player Question
>We asked about what would catch your attention while looking through the catalog...but what KEEPS your attention for the long haul?
I will always check a pick your own civ thread, no idea why but if i see one i'll check it and make at least one post

>>Bonus Question
Favorite snack: Raw almonds, wife has got me trying to eat healthier. That being said though...
Favorite drink: Kraken rum and coke, I feel like drunk QM has the potential to be fun and can increase player enjoyment and hopefully retention
>>
>>319318
> Kraken

My brother.
>>
>>310630
>removing any action for a couple threads of tldr heavyhanded redundant boring exposition
Melancholic Quest
>>
>>319653

>Being a little babby bitch

(You)
>>
>>312530
this guy is my nigga

>>311881
this guy is aight; but if you have too much "respect" for the tone/choices (i.e. you stop posting differently from others), you end up with people discouraged from posting different, potentially interesting options and you end up with an echo chamber. makes the quest feel stagnant

>>319660
>being a dickriding brown-nosing faggot
(You)
go back to your circlejerk discord channel hugbox
>>
File: nofightan.jpg (29KB, 565x195px) Image search: [Google]
nofightan.jpg
29KB, 565x195px
>>319653
>>319660
>>319694
>>
>>316178
This guy is also my nigga.
>>
Planning to run Edgy Harry Potter Fanfic Quest Friday at 5pm Central/6pm Eastern
>>
>>316889
>Berserk Quest
>Rape-horse best waifu
>>
>>319642
DLQ when?!
>>
>>320049
July 7th at approximately 1 PM EST, as mentioned upthread.
>>
Its so great that /tg/ removed quests from there board so they could go back to quality threads such as >>>/tg/48036744

This is definitely higher quality than anything qst brought to the table.
>>
>>320598
Not even that, the fucking nonstop ton of generals and CYOA threads.
>>
So anybody know what happened to MECHANIC?
>>
>>320623
Criticizing generals is straight up stupid as they are valid content. The CYOAs are a different story. (Especially all the fucking "Magical girl wat do" ones)
>>
>>320598
But they didn't remove quests. Hell, they ban people for telling QMs to move to /qst/ in the threads on /tg/.
>>
>>321045
>>321045
>>321045
HGQ #7 has begun!
>>
File: Katherine vs. Choi.jpg (62KB, 540x493px) Image search: [Google]
Katherine vs. Choi.jpg
62KB, 540x493px
The King of Fighters Quest: Reborn #8 is up and running once again!

>>317290
>>317290
>>317290
>>
File: sierra madre.png (451KB, 820x610px) Image search: [Google]
sierra madre.png
451KB, 820x610px
>>321224
New quest, shilling.
>>
test
>>
>TFW been busy with bullshit, so can't lay out idea for a new Quest
>>
>>316679
And I still can't get somebody to run a One Piece themed Quest :(
>>
>>323716
There's one on /tg/.
>>
>>323716
I kind of always wanted to do one, but there's one active (at least on /tg/) so I didn't want to step on any toes.
>>
>>323729
>>323735
Oh, I'll have to find the archives for it.
Thanks.
Btw, how come people still run their quests on /tg/ and not here? Is there something I'm missing?
>>
>>323754
Some people have been running their quest there since before the board split, so they want to keep their format and players. Also some people may have mixed feelings about the new trial board so stick with what they know.

Another reason and personal one I can understand, but /qst/ having threads active for such a long time, can be demanding of your schedule in a way different from a /tg/ thread.
>>
>>320633
I've been wondering that too. I know there was a good deal of player backlash during his last thread, but I certainly hope that wasn't enough to make him not want to run the Shipgirl Commander quest.
>>
there isn't much to say but. i will keep an eye on my quest. it is not abandoned.
>>314487
>>314487
>>314487
>>
Rolled 1 (1d2)

>>
>/qst/ has had 200 posts in 5 days
They won. But I'm sure the quislings will come and tell it's all our fault, despite the numbers of QM swelling madly.
>>
>>324833
What the fuck are you on about? It's at least 2,000. Or are you talking about new threads?
>>
>>324912
I think he means this thread in particular
>>
>>324920
>>324912
This thread doesn't even have as many IPs as the most popular threads.
>>
>>324920
That's because outside of a few random questions and thread shilling, we really don't have much to offer. Especially since we don't have anything to argue over at the moment.
>>
>>324955
Hey guys, just popping in to announce that chapter 2 of Zombie Hunter Quest is starting soon, continuing in the same thread as part 1! I'm a slow quest writer, so feel free to pop in and out at your leisure.

Sorry if this isn't the place for advertising
>>
>>325047
This is most definitely the place for advertising. Though people tend to include a link to the thread when they do so.
>>
>>325064
Whoops!

>>325047
>>323309
>>
File: rondeatheater_2878.jpg (16KB, 350x274px) Image search: [Google]
rondeatheater_2878.jpg
16KB, 350x274px
Going to run Edgy Harry Potter Fanfic Quest tonight

After facing down a vampire assassin last thread, you get to Rome
>>
File: 1452823646600.jpg (47KB, 540x474px) Image search: [Google]
1452823646600.jpg
47KB, 540x474px
Last session of The King of Fighter's Quest: Reborn #8 is up:

>>317290 (Cross-thread)
>>317290 (Cross-thread)
>>317290 (Cross-thread)
>>
File: qst-tan10.png (374KB, 1168x775px) Image search: [Google]
qst-tan10.png
374KB, 1168x775px
/qst/-tan Quest continues:

>>326384
>>326384
>>326384
>>
Anyone heard anything about the Badge and Bullet qm? He said he'll consider a sequel, but I haven't seen him since /qst/ was created
>>
File: edgy.jpg (46KB, 600x549px) Image search: [Google]
edgy.jpg
46KB, 600x549px
Running Edgy Harry Potter Fanfic Quest

>>>/tg/48065026
>>
Not like I'm trying to unveil it like some big deal,
but I was going to start up my quest >>308405 >>312776 on Monday, but I realized that it being a holiday (for Americans, at least) probably screws things up. Any lurking anons, could you give me a poll? Is anyone going to be lurking around on Sunday, instead? Do you speculate it'd have, well, ANY turnout or should I delay it another day or two?
>>
>>326614
>Advertising a quest on /qst/
>Then running it on /tg/

This kind of shit should be a bannable offense.
>>
>>327203
m-m-muh sides and lines drawn in the sand
>>
File: dumbles.jpg (28KB, 417x347px) Image search: [Google]
dumbles.jpg
28KB, 417x347px
>>327203
Yes, yes! Well done, /qa/! Well done, /qa/!

H O W E V E R

/qst/ is a trial board
>>
Rolled 25 (1d1000)

How would a rolling method of 1d1000 work where the first digit is protag, the middle is neutral factors, and the third is antag
>>
>>327395
To give more detail, the system would involve checking one number against the other. If protag is higher than antag, then he succeeds. If the difference is 5 points or greater, then it's a crit. Skill can add to the number, from +0 for completely unskilled, to +5 for almost superhuman.

The neutral number winning a roll means something else happens. Depending on the severity of circumstances the neutral digit can also get a "skill" bonus. Neutral circumstances must be higher than both the protag and the antag to manifest, to make it a rarer occurance.

So the 025 I just rolled in the previous post would be a critfail for the protag unless he has a skill advantage over the antag. If the protag was at max skill but the antag completely unskilled, only then would it be a draw. Neutral circumstances didn't do anything here.
>>
File: considering it.jpg (44KB, 282x341px) Image search: [Google]
considering it.jpg
44KB, 282x341px
>>327451
Gimmicky, but intriguing nonetheless.

Though you're gonna get salt from people all about 'muh best of three'
>>
>>327495
I'm still figuring out how it would pay out in various circumstances. Maybe the neutral number can also get a skill malus, not just a bonus like the other two. Would help.

So picking a lock, roll 922, it gets opened. Roll 229, it stays shut. Roll 292, that means the lock was trapped, or someone spots you doing it, or something else appropriate to the circumstances.
>>
So! Folks may or may not already know that I've been chewing over a second quest to do after Dungeon Life Quest ends (I've been chewing it over for ages, actually, considering that I expected DLQ to crash and burn). I'm intending on setting it in the world presented by Changeling: the Lost (not the Onyx Path/GMC one), and...well.

I'm kinda stuck on character selection/creation, is the thing.

DLQ started with a choice between several potential MCs, giving a hint as to their professions and themes. Changeling's got a /lot/ of potential combinations for that, and I want to give anon the chance to set their start the way they want it to. I do /not/ wanna do in-depth character creation as I've seen some quests do, though.

So my thoughtline is to do two stages, with anon knowing ahead of time that their character is someone of importance to their local community. First stage would be to pick a Court, as so:

> Spring (Desire)
> Summer (Wrath)
> Autumn (Fear)
> Winter (Sorrow)
> Courtless
> Foreign Court

And then following that would be a selection of characters that could belong to that Court/faction; the winner becomes the quest's main character.

Thoughts? Feelings? Am I worrying too much?
>>
>>327930
Autumn court! As for the second iunno, I'm dumb and don't understand.
>>
>>327935
TL;DR instead of going 'name, gender, Seeming, Court' in stages, open up by selecting a faction, /then/ decide who you are to that faction and thus to your society as a whole.
>>
>>327930
>>327939
I....suppose. It's really either that or 2 characters for every Court, and picking from 12 options is pretty dangerous.
>>
Shilling for the return of WrestleQuest, having made the move from /tg/.

>>328780
>>328780
>>328780
>>
dice+2d20

Pls help how to roll
>>
>>328847
Read the sticky on /qst/ and /tg/.
>>
Rolled 5, 6 = 11 (2d6)

>>328847
Testing
>>
Laughing Dog Chapter 10 starting:

>>328805
>>328805
>>328805
>>
Rolled 99 (1d100)

Testy mc test test
>>
File: test03b.jpg (359KB, 824x1459px) Image search: [Google]
test03b.jpg
359KB, 824x1459px

Woke up one morning thinking it would be cool, made assets in the morning and ran with it. At first it was to be a nuBSG quest with ships drawn over Space Engine screenshots but it crashed so much that I instead went for Google Maps and Evangelion. But since I've been following For House & Dominion for a long time I guess you could see some inspiration/resemblance there.

By the way, I did a quick and dirty 3d model to see if could speed up the way I produce images for Nerv Bridge Simulator. It ended up being really quicker, not to mention more sharp looking, but I feel like it's losing some of the goofy charm of the hand-drawn stuff I usually do.
>>
File: burial chambers.jpg (251KB, 1596x925px) Image search: [Google]
burial chambers.jpg
251KB, 1596x925px
>>307556
This game is actually based on a campaign I ran on roll20 for a year. When I saw the /qst/ board pop up on 4chan, I decided to give it a try. Figured it would be helpful for me to flesh out the world and lore to have another group of players interact with it.

As for what inspired it...ehh, I don't know exactly. I suppose I created it this way because I've never found a fantasy setting that has the same blend of myth/mystery/horror I was looking for. I wanted a setting that was a mixture of World of Darkness and the Old Testament.
>>
>>328870
Reminds me of outsider. I like it, personally.
>>
>>328870
The model is great.
The only concern is how the 3D and hand-drawn stuff will loook together.
>>
File: bun 31.png (42KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
bun 31.png
42KB, 1000x1500px
>>318898
Sorry to be a shameless self-promoter, but Bun-Quest is gonna be updating all night long, so feel free to drop in!
>>
>>327495
Fuck those losers.
>>
Do text effects like bold and italicize work within spoilers?
>>
>>332121
You can spoiler your spoilers anon, so maybe.
>>
File: tegaki.png (6KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tegaki.png
6KB, 400x400px
>That feel when i want to do a quest but i do not have the artistic talent to support it with drawing.
Feels bad man....
>>
>>332955
So?

Why is everyone suddenly so convinced that the only quests that exist are draw quests?
>>
>>332975
because everyone draws for their own quests or other people draw for them
>>
>>333009
>everyone

No they don't.
>>
>>333009
Since when?
>>
File: 10.1.jpg (94KB, 604x800px) Image search: [Google]
10.1.jpg
94KB, 604x800px
For those interested, an update on the Paladin of Avalon is up.
http://anonkun.com/stories/the-paladin-of-avalon/-JRvxJl3loGBg9Bo64XE/26-rise-of-chaos/EgKvFY9PoHMsTcw4J
>>
>>333303
>>333303
>>333303

Beleaguered Prince Quest is now up and running.
>>
File: Black Company Cover.jpg (111KB, 642x924px) Image search: [Google]
Black Company Cover.jpg
111KB, 642x924px
>>333329
>>333329
>>333329
>>333329

Black Company Quest primed and ready
>>
Is this a place where I could potentially find a drawfag willing to do some art for my quest? I could always whip out the pencil, paper and camera phone but I like the look of drawings made with those computer drawing tools. They don't have to be masterpieces or even high effort, my standards can be summed up in a word: willing.
>>
I want to run a quest which begins with the summoning of an eldritch god, progresses with a mass sacrifice of the human race, results in the domination of its survivors by demonic people with ulterior motives and features a gigantic Paradise Lost-style "War in Heaven".

Who's interested?
>>
>>333506
Is it SMT related?
>>
>>333638
No.
>>
>>333506
that would depend entirely on where you start the quest and how long it'll take for player agency to actually happen.
>>
>>310149
>>310165
>>310185
I like you a lot, but you're also an asshole. Keep it up, I guess?

Players need agency, and you're setting yourself up to be the next Shadowmaster, quietly railroading out of sight, until it awkwardly comes out that your players never actually had any choice whatsoever, and you were just writing a grandiose fanfic with false player agency all along.

In short, this a doe-see-doe, honey, you aren't dancing by yourself here. Let your players choose their shit unless they are going to objectively kill your quest.
>>
>>334196
>They are going to objectively kill your quest
I actually had to come up with friggin' workarounds for my first 3 chapters because apparently all of them wanted nothing more than to kill off the quest. You could open Thread 1 for evidence.
>>
>>334196
>They are going to objectively kill your quest
I actually had to come up with friggin' workarounds for my first 3 chapters because apparently all of them wanted nothing more than to kill off the quest. You could open Thread 1 for evidence.

>>310185
At least YOUR players don't accuse you of railroading because apparently a sex joke with veiled references was grounds for the accusation of one. I honestly hope they don't come back. I don't have time for that shit.
>>
>>333506
only if we are the ones that get to summon the demons
also the adventure of discovering how the ritual needs to take place and gathering the necessary ingredients and building up our followers
>>
>>334671
That's odd. Since you didn't have any options for player write-ins in the first thread, that means your players were selecting options laid out by YOU. If any of those options would kill the quest, then maybe they shouldn't be options in the first place.

And regarding that whole sex scene business, I think most players were jumping to conclusions about the seriousness of it. I wasn't present for that thread, but I probably would have started making assumptions as well. You should've explained from the beginning that it wasn't that big of a deal.

Quite frankly, if you dislike your players so much, I don't understand why you would even run a quest in the first place. I mean, it's like you immediately get confrontational at the slightest bit of player backlash.

But I mean it probably doesn't matter what I say since it doesn't fit your specific definition of criticism.
>>
>>334826
>Only player write-ins should lead to QMC death.
That's silly, Anon. QMs should totally present options which may lead to the QMC's death so long as it's obviously presented as a risky decision to make, or has been well-established through other means that performing the acting in question is potentially life threatening.
>>
>>334829
Fair enough. This was at the beginning of the first thread though. It would just be a waste of the QM's time to have an MC death option in the very beginning. Besides, pretty much every decision was presented as a risky one at the time.
>>
>>334826
I got accused of railroading the moment I went 50-50 with the sex scene. They weren't even nice when they were asking for it. The original plan was to leave the sex scenes vague and for people and players to draw their own conclusions on what happened or didn't after I got the warning from the first one.

When they started low-balling me over it, I got very annoyed. I was very accepting of the feedback on the quest from 1-9. I absolutely despised it when people wanted me to make a big deal out of it instead of just telling me they wanted to read it for the sake of reading it.

I planned out a map of what would happen and the factors taking into consideration that would trigger such scenes and events for the next few factors with a number matrix - if certain things didn't happen, it would go a certain way.

I despised the accusations by my Questers of me railroading and how they didn't have a choice in the matter. I practically explained how each factors have a damn value FIVE times. The only time I admitted that there was a railroad was during the time-constrained events in the first few threads, which was me experimenting with time-locking.

One damn piss joke's made me annoyed enough to push it back a bit.

>>334829
I don't know. For me, at reply 1 it was kind of obvious that the posters wanted the MC to crash and burn instead of powering on through, Even one of the Questers were surprised that they lived past day 1.

>>334833
I thought you said you didn't play my Quest?
>>
>>334889
I played your quest. I just missed that specific thread.
>>
>>334889
Also, I feel like the players in thread 1 didn't really *want* the MC to fail at all. Most of those comments regarding his luck seemed to be jokes. And I can understand your frustration at the railroading accusations. The way I see it, when you run a quest on 4chan, there's almost certainly going to be some sarcastic humor being interjected by your questers. And there are almost always going to be people who overreact to things.
>>
>>334903
Ah, all right.

>>334917
I just don't understand how one piss joke felt like something they wanted to or had to be able to control. If they'd just asked nicely for the scene, I wouldn't have minded at all, but all I got was a bunch of low-ballers.
>>
>>334934
I feel like a lot of that had to do with people overestimating the importance of the whole piss thing. It seems like everyone calmed down significantly after you clarified that it was something that wouldn't affect the MC significantly. I probably wouldn't have assumed it was a joke at first either.
>>
If a quest uses a popular anime for its setting but it doesn't have any players, that means it's a bad quest, right?
>>
>>335092
define
>doesn't have any players

As in no votes at all, or it just trickled out in less than 3 story posts?

Although either way, if it was on /tg/ I would ask you how you managed to fuck up that hard.
>>
>>335101
Hardly any votes very consistently. It was on /tg/.
>>
>>335092
>If a quest uses a popular anime for its setting, that means it's a bad quest, right?
Yes.
>>
>>334934
Agreeing with >>334951, seemed we made a big deal of it 'cus we thought it had to do with character development and had effects on interpersonal relationships from here-on out. Seemed everybody cooled heads after you clarified it was deliberately a noodle incident of hardly any consequence.
>>
So Leaf Ninja Quest on /tg/ ended.
>>
>>335818

Weird. My ID changed.
>>
File: 11.1.jpg (354KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
11.1.jpg
354KB, 1920x1080px
For those interested, an update on the Paladin of Avalon is up.
http://anonkun.com/stories/the-paladin-of-avalon/-JRvxJl3loGBg9Bo64XE/26-rise-of-chaos/EgKvFY9PoHMsTcw4J
>>
I'm running a new session of Travelling Merchant Quest at >>335495

You're welcome to join us.
>>
Who's eating popcorn and waiting for the BQ samefag shit storm to start? It'll suffice for fireworks until they start.
>>
>>336230
I'm projecting a magnitude 6 doodoo dustup.
>>
>>336230
What's that?
>>
>>336236
It seems splitting players into two camps of IRC and regular anons has dome consequences.
Thread posts: 296
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.