[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Is A Hero, Really, Quest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 3

File: 1465545268355-1.jpg (52KB, 540x660px) Image search: [Google]
1465545268355-1.jpg
52KB, 540x660px
It's raining.

It patters onto a body in an alley, steadily bleeding onto the pavement. Cars pass in the street, not seeing the blood in the dark as it diffuses onto wet black stone, fading from red to black. Divested of valuables by the people of the street, the body's hollow eyes look up at the sky.

This body is that of a 'hero'.

They had placed themselves in danger, one lonely wednesday night, to save someone from a mugging. The original target had gotten away, promising to call for help as the 'hero' struggled with the armed mugger. A knife between the ribs. A lack of preparation. A lung full of blood, shirt stained with once-warm life. The pain's fading, now.

"You do not have to die."

The voice cuts through the dark, the rain falling on a cloaked figure. "I can save you, though there is a cost. It's that or pass into the darkness."

Blinking, bleary eyes look up at the dark thing looming over them. "Nothing is free." it continues, "But it will be worthwhile. I promise. After all... What is left to you now?"

A shitty job.

A crappy apartment.

A love life so dry that it's become a joke.

A family that left them to their fate long ago.

The figure leans close, features becoming clearer. A hooded mask with bright, shimmering eyes. "The world needs people like you. I can make you into something much more than you are right now. If you die here, it will not be into easy darkness. Something awaits you either way. I offer you a path of light, but the bitterness in your heart could lead to something darker, if you let it."

It leans back, rain splashing from the mask of a skull, and holds out a hand.

>Take his hand.
>Refuse him.
>>
>>305578
>>Take his hand.
>>
>>305578
Take his hand
>>
>>305578
>>Take his hand.
>>
>>305999
>>305755
>>305610

What was a dying body takes the hand of the armored being, who lifts them to their feet. The pain slips away, falters, then is gone. The wounds close. The eyes in the mask shine blue, like twin stars in the sky, as it nods in approval.

"This body of yours is too fragile for this task." the figure states, "So true heroes like you get something else." he leans close. "It's not my making, your heroic self, after all."

The formerly dying one turns to the departing figure, as if to question, but it merely nods - and vanishes. Something is gathering around it...

**This decision will determine your main set of powers, as well as part of your heroic design.**

>A pulsing, stoic blue power.
>A throbbing, angry, destructive red energy.
>A soft, breezy green aura.
>A golden, glorious spotlight.
>>
>>306068
>>
>>306068
>>A throbbing, angry, destructive red energy.
>>
>>306068

Stoicism is pretty cool.
>>
>>306068
Golden, glorious spotlight. We'll be the hero to end all heroes.
>>
File: 1465546129161-1.gif (190KB, 500x740px) Image search: [Google]
1465546129161-1.gif
190KB, 500x740px
>>306122
>>306072
The power is gentle at first, but then stronger, flowing into the body and filling it up with greatness. Edged with gold and red, glory and fury spin into the mix as something begins to construct itself around you, piece by piece. It's distinctly mechanical, powerful and solid armor. You feel it move with you, and a sense of awareness slaps into place as it covers your head, slicing off hair save for a few inches around the scalp.

>[Hero Form Obtained: Defender]

Energy races along the back of your forearms, pulsing blue and golden, and red at your fingertips. Gold laces the edges of your armor as you step forward, the rain slowing around you as it nears. Your body is strong, stronger than before, more agile, more capable. Though there's no real way of knowing what you can do yet, really.

And something buzzes, in the back of your mind. A feeling like a tug, at the edge of sense, urgent and pressing.

>Follow it.
>Ignore it, need to figure out what can be done with this.
>Ignore it, need to get home.
>Ignore it, where'd that figure go?
>(other)
>>
>>306324
Follow it. Nothing so pressing could be meaningless after whatever just happened.
>>
>>306324
>>Follow it.
>>
>>306324
>Follow it.
>>
>>306409
>>306381
>>306362

Obviously something like this is important. Taking off at a loping run in side streets and alleys, it's a steady dead run that takes you where the pulling guides you. A parking lot, with few cars, and a young man with a gun.

"I TOLD YOU TO GET OUT OF THE FUCKING CAR!" he roars at an older man, pointing his gun into the car. "DO IT OR I'LL FUCKING SHOOT, YOU SON OF A BITCH!" a bag of... something hangs from his other hand. He looks nervous, angry, and the old man is paralyzed with fear. That's where the tugging is coming from - you can feel it now, almost like a sound in your head.

Regardless, something has to be done. Priorities...

>Get between the man and the car.
>Disarm the criminal.
>Disable the criminal.
>Take his bag.
>Annunce your presence.
>>
>>306597
Announce your presence and proceed to disarm the criminal
>>
>>306597
>Get between the man and the car.
We've got robo-armor, time to see what it can do. Also, say to the criminal "Your move, creep."
>>
>>306597
Punch the criminal in the head and shout "You threat lacks punch, criminal scum!"
>>
>>306623
>>306627
>>306826
Various ideas snap into your head, but it's most important to defuse the situation and remove the threat. Ergo, you begin by closing the distance and getting between the man and the car - He backs away, nervous, as you stand there, implacable.

"What the... what the fuck?" he manages.

"...Your move, creep." you growl. It comes out slightly robotic, like someone was far too aggressive with auto-tune and threw in some Microsoft Sam.

"Fucking fuck this shit!" he shouts, shooting - instinctively, you hold up a hand, and as soon as it touches your palm, there is a flash of blue, and...

It stops. Your aura is appreciably brighter, like a haze around your arms and hands. Tinged with gold specks, you blink at it, the bullet dropping to the ground as the old man stares. WHen he looks upon you, the gold brightens, and you feel confidence surging into you as you step forward. He lets out a cry, swinging a punch.

So slow. So incredibly slow. You stop it with one hand, the aura slightly growing brighter. It's as if there was no force behind the punch at all, shimmering gold brightening as you stare down the whimpering criminal, who has dropped his gun in panic.

You can feel the haze as a part of you, almost like another voice. You're not sure, but if you just... push... with that new muscle, you feel something will happen.

>Scare him off.
>Knock him out.
>Use the new power on the criminal.
>Use the new power on his bag.
>>
>>307148
let the old man decide his fate
>>
>>307148
>Use the new power on the criminal.
He deserves it.
>>
>>307148
Use the new power on the criminal. We're going to dispense justice, whatever form it takes.
>>
>>307310
>>307331
The aura condenses into your fist, leaving it shimmering and shining, the criminal fleeing - but you're faster - and your empowered fist slams into his gut as you get ahead of him. Of course, the blow is strong, but a second, stronger sound pushes him into the air, flipping him over as blue energy blasts from your fist, bits of gold energy pocking the ground with solid material that slowly fades away.

He lands heavily, groaning, before passing out. The old man has gotten out of the vehicle, and his young passenger is watching with wide eyes, golden energies blossoming along your arms as his jaw drops. You pick up the bag, looking inside. A bunch of stolen money inside, in twenty dollar bills. You estimate at least five hundred dollars or more. Maybe thousands?

"Probably best to get that to the poh-lice, sir." he says, flabbergasted. "Just, uh... set it on the guy, I'll, uh... make the call."

"What'll you say, grampa?"

The old man frowns, looking up at you.

"Someone came along to help. Thassall." he said. "Maybe you shuld get along, son." he says, walking back to his car as you set the money down. "Somethin' tells me you don't want that much attention."

>Leave
>Stay for the cops.
>Go home.
>Say something (?)
>Other
>>
>>307559
>Say something (?)
Thanks.
>Leave
>>
>>307559
>Other
Leave, but watch from a distance. The old man might be telling the truth, but he might be wanting to make off with all that money (it's not all his right?) and avoid the cops. Something feels wrong here to me.
>>
>>307559
Thank him for his understanding. Tell the boy to listen to his grandfather, and that he's a wise man. Wish them a good evening and go home to figure out what this kafka-tier bullshit is.
>>
>>307590
>>307594
>>307603
"Thank you." even your normal voice is Sam...ish? "Listen to your grandpa." you add to the child, who nods. "I shall depart now." you say, leaping out the side of the building. Finding some hidden place, you watch the scene unfold, the police talking to the old man, who hands the bag over. The kid yammers on, probably about you, but is ignored and shushed while the grandpa simply explains what happened calmly. The young thief is arrested, and you feel a sense of accomplishment. As you rise, you turn and head home. Relaxing, the weird suit unfolds from your new, healthy body, shrinking into itself until it's just a watch.

"...Huh." you say, looking it over, turning it over on your wrist as you walk into the bathroom.

That's right, you are a...

>A dude hero
>A lady hero
>That doesn't really matter.
>>
>>307737
>>A dude hero
>>
>>307737
A dude hero
>>
>>307737
lady hero
>>
>>307737
>A dude hero
>>
Yeah, let's go Dick 'n balls.
>>
>>307737
A big dude.
>>
>>307737
>A dude hero
>A large male
>>
If we can vote on body type, I say we only make him slightly bigger than average. A hero should be at least slightly relatable.
>>
>>307908
I think we should be 7ft tall but with only slightly-better-than-average muscles
>>
>>307767
>>307791
>>307805
>>307829
>>307888
>>307908

You were always a bit on the tall side, but it's odd to see yourself now - impressively strong and lean, short hair, and bright, bright blue eyes, not the brown of before. You might even say, handsome. A flush passes your cheeks as you look yourself over, as whatever healed you certainly made you impressive in nearly every respect. A shower later, you sit on your bed in thought - the watch didn't come off, but then it didn't need to, unaffected by the water. The light buzzing n your head isn't as pressing as before, but it's still there.

"What even..." you mutter to yourself, the strange power not there as before. Standing up, you look at the watch in thought, the design blocky and fragmented, with blue numbers and white metal. There's a button on the bottom, probably to put the suit back on.

>Go to bed.
>Put on the suit, to figure more things out.
>Try to look for the entity that made it.
>Check the internet?
>>
>>307961
we've just earned our powers, let's figure out what's the autodestruct button before pressing it randomly in a fight.
>>
>>307961
If that fails, check the net to see if anyone else had a heart to heart with Skeletor lately, or seen any vigilante shit.
>>
>>307961
>>Put on the suit, to figure more things out.
Info is valuable
>>
>>307961
Suit up!
>>
>>307994
>>307981
>>307980
>>307974
You press the button, and the suit extends from the watch, unfolding over your arm, then chest, and then the rest of your body, finally fastening over your face - but without any compromise of vision. Neat. There's a few things you notice almost instantly.

It's easier to move in, for one thing. Effortless, almost. You don't want to go jumping and running around - it's only a small apartment. But you can move easily.

Recalling the bullet from before, you take a can from the ground, and touch it with your palm in midair - slapping it. As soon as it leaves your palm, it simply... freezes in midair, and you feel the power weakly blossom into place. Only blue, though. No red or gold. A few repititions, and then you're able to release the power - and the can crumples, sailing across the room several times faster than before.

But no matter how you try, the other powers don't return - no gold or red, not even accenting the suit.
"Weird..." you mutter, and the voice filter makes you into Sam again.

Sitting down at the computer, searching the internet, results in almost nothing, until you reach to turn it off.

"Hold up there, new guy."

>Panic, turn it off
>Respond politely
>Run away
>Other
>>
>>308060
>Run Away

I didn't read the post., that's just my go-to response.
>>
>>308060
>>Respond politely
>>
>>308060
>Run away
fuck talking computers we're out.
>>
>>308060
>Respond politely
>>
>>308060
respond politely
>>
>>308222
>>308070

You nearly get up to run, when the voice speaks again:

"Hey. Aren't you curious what happened to your memories? Don't be a stranger now."

You freeze, almost out the door, turning to the computer. A window opens, one you didn't see before, on the desktop. A feed is open, though it says AUDIO ONLY, with an avatar in place of a feed. "Look, my name's Firebrand. I dunno what you can do, but this, this thing here with your computer... what shit-ass brand is this anyway... this is almost nothing. Your search tripped my botnet, so I thought I'd give you a little call."

"...And if I'm not interested?"

"Look. This isn't a threat, but not everyone out there is a Hero, and not everyone is nearly as polite as me." he explains. "You talked with a skelly guy, right? Silver mask, blue eyes, stuff like that? You remember where you lived, and that you had family, but what about beyond that? Aren't you at all curious what's going on? The extent of all this?"

>I can manage alone.
>Did you really need to scare me like that?
>Fuck this, man, I'm just confused. Call me in the morning.
>Get to the damn point.
>(Turn off the computer.)
>(Leave anyway)
>>
>>308354
>I can manage alone.
we'll find our destiny when we see it in front of our own eyes, we don't need an unreliable side kick.
>>
>>308354
>>Fuck this, man, I'm just confused. Call me in the morning.
>>
>>308365
I like this idea. Let's go full blown Lone Wolf.
>>
>>308354
I can manage alone
>>
>>308354
>Get to the damn point.
He might not want to be a sidekick, just someone to get useful info from. No reason to shut him out entirely right now.
>>
>>308365
>>308378
>>308384

"I can manage alone."

"...Well, alright. But I'll send you some contact info anyway, just in case. A bit of advice, though - not everyone likes us."

"...Us?"

"Heroes. Magi. Supernats, I mean. Just dont get caught and don't do anything too public."

"Wait, magi? What do you mean?"

"Bye~" the window closes as he laughs.

"Son of a... Oh, whatever." you shut off the computer, hide the suit, and lay in bed, staring at the ceiling. Sleep takes its sweet time, but eventually it comes. Dreamless, empty sleep, and when you wake up - "Augh, fuck!"

The buzzing is harsh, loud, hellish - multiple things tug at you, like strings from a puppet. A few stop, but two remain painfully present, one north of your apartment, one to the west.

>Suit up and take care of it.
>Endure, head to... to work, right?
>Try to sift through memory.
>Look up Firebrand.
>(other)
>>
>>308454
>>
>>308454
>>
>>308454
>>
Yeah, let's just suit up.
>>
>>308454
Suit up and deal with it.
Chances are we cant remember what our job is anyways
>>
>>308454
Suiting up is the only real option here. Skeletor made us a 'hero'. We can't disobey the one directive the guy that revived us and empowered us gave.
>>
>>308626
>Skeletor made us a 'hero'
Words I never thought I'd read.
>>
>>308650
By the power of Greyskull!
>>
>>308626
>>308556
>>308508
>>308506
>>308466
Right.

A quick change in the bushes, and off you go. Sticking to the side streets and the alleys, it doesn't take long to find the ones in danger. Deep in a drainage ditch, a few kids back away from a creature.

That's the only word for it - four legged, covered in silvery fur, shinign red eyes glare out of a face that looks almost human, if it weren't for the massive teeth and long tongue. Each paw ends in a single, scythe-like talon, and its tail looks like the end can split apart. Slowly, it begins to approach the children, where the pull comes from.

>Announce your prescence
>Flying kick? Maybe?
>Get between the kids and the monster.
>Get those kids!
>Throw something at the beast!
>>
>>308774
>Announce your prescence
>Flying kick? Maybe?
>Dynamic Entry!
>>
>>308774
>Get between the kids and the monster.
we know nothing about the situation let's see who's attacking who and if they're hostile.
>>
>>308774
>>Flying kick? Maybe?
>>Get between the kids and the monster.
>>
>>308789
Perfect! Need to get the red and the gold going, and anger and general 'righteousness' seem to be the things that activate them, respectively.
>>
>>308873
Except we chose blue.
We should try to stay stoïc we already know what going righteous and angry does.
>>
>>308879
We chose blue, but we've also got red and gold, both of which were a part of the one other scenario we were in, and which we couldn't summon with practice. Righteous and angry is part of the armor, in the trim and the fingertips, apparently. We need to embrace it all, dude.
>>
>>308798
>>308796
>>308789
A running jump, twisting in midair, allows you to drop straight down between beast and child, heel slamming down like a guillotine right into its face. Flipping back from the impact, you land in front of the kids.

You're not sure what impresses you more - no broken bones or doing that from thirty feet up, Red energy pulses softly at your fingertips, and as the kids watch you golden ribbons seem to stream from your forearms as you prepare to fight.

The beast roars at you, stalking closer.

>Take the kids and flee.
>Try to goad it into the first strike.
>Uppercut it to shut it up.
>Reach for the golden power...
>Let loose the red.
>>
>>308884
Either that or it's a hidden function we're not able to master and might blow ourself up with.
We don't need thoses to fuck the monster, heck we're not even sure that he's agressive he's got no blood on his hands yet.

>>308890
>Take the kids and flee.
we've done our jobs no need to overdo it we're out.
>>
>>308890
I'm gonna have to disagree with fqSu here, reach for the golden power. Whatever the monster was doing to these children, it almost certainly could have hurt them worse than they it. Plus, the pull was coming from them, not the monster. Reach for the gold, use it. Fight for justice, don't just prevent immediate harm.
>>
>>308938
hey and who care about the harm that's done to the monster huh?
We don't know where he fucking came from ro what the fuck he's doing.
Maybe the kid just felt scared because he's big and scary.
Let's play it safe, flee then investigate wtf was the monster by calling the other hero.
>>
>>308890
>Reach for the golden power...
maybe it'll be like magic chains or something. that's what i'm expecting
>>
>>308948
You honestly want to side with the thing with big murderous fuckoff teeth that looks like something out of a resident evil game? The last time we got this feeling, it was because a man was being held at gunpoint. This thing is clearly some kind of danger, and justice is justice. Whatever power the gold has, it's going to do what's right. It incapacitate the mugger. If it kills the monster, it's going to be because it should be done.
>>
>>309222
I'm not taking is side i'm just saying he's done nothing yet and we don't know what he would have done.
For all we know he's innocent as fuck.
>Whatever power the gold has, it's going to do what's right.
let us hope so because of you Misuse it who knows what could happen.
>>
>>308890
Reach for the gold and the red!
>>
You reach out to one side, calling on the power of Gold. The ribbons launch from your hands, twisting and twining in the air before you, forming into a sword that you grasp easily. It's not long - maybe only as long as your arm - but it looks sharp, made of dark, shimmering gold.

Much like the material the same power made earlier. The creature roars in response, and aims to swipe you away - but your free hand rises, red power crackling as they meet. The arm rebounds, with just as much force.

But you get the feeling it's in a much smaller area. The metallic flesh snaps and cracks, breaking open and falling to bits from the wrist down. It rears up, its roar crashing down like so much mass. Ngh!

No red power, but you're already gaining new golden ribbons, even if they're much smaller.

>Charge the foe with the golden sword!
>Goad another direct assault.
>Rescue children and leave!
>Throw the sword.
>>
>>309326
>Throw the sword.
>>
>>309326
>Rescue children and leave
Fuck that thing, we can murder it later, saving the kids is what matters now. Fend it off with the sword as necessary, and come back for it once the children are safe.
>>
>>309326
>>Charge the foe with the golden sword!
>>
>>309326
>>Charge the foe with the golden sword!
>>
>>309432
>>
>>309326
throw sword and rescue the kids
>>
>>309707
>>309432
>>309379
>>309496
Rearing back, you let the sword fly from your hand, and it rockets forth after spinning once, slamming hard into the creature's shoulder, opposite the injured limb.

Quickly taking the time before it recovers, you scoop up the kids and leap up onto the stairwell out as they squirm against you. Setting them down, watching them flee up the stairs, you hear a tossed "thanks, mister!" before you turn back to the injured beast.

Just before it leaps at you. In a panic, you hold up your hand, and as its lower teeth touch your palm...

It stops. All of its momentum simply dissapears, blue flames flaring from the sides of your arms as it falls, slamming into the ground. You can't store more than this, some instinct tells you.

It must be spent.

>Some kinda flying kick?
>Fuck this shit, I'm out.
>A meteor punch of some sort?
>Throw something heavy at it?
>(Something else)
>>
>>310265
>>
>>310265
>>Some kinda flying kick?
fiery kick of mgea-doom
>>
>>310265
We're not going to ignore an option called fucking meteor punch.
>>
>>310265
>Meteor
>PUNCH
>>
>>310265
meteor punch him out of this world no evidence no problem
>>
>>310272
>>310289
>>310312

You leap, feeling the blue fire leap to your right arm, covering it with shining blue power as you dive down at the enemy. It rears up, as if to meet you, and you feel the power unleash itself, the energy from the charging creature filling your arm and shoulder - and as you rear it back and punch forth, you rocket along with it, feeling it pull at your arm socket dangerously.

The impact is incredible. A loud boom accompanies your impact, sending cracks along the creature's side and sending it back onto its side as you land. Your fist and arm smoke for a moment as you rise again, the creature stumbling onto its feet, flakes of metal falling from the new wound as it roars.

Red power grows along your fingers, but not much, and there is some gold left. But blue was entirely reduced by that massive blow, and you're already feeling a little tired.

>Run away!
>Goad the enemy into attacking!
>Try to... make... something? With Gold?
>Wait for an opportunity, then counter with Red!
>Something Else?
>>
>Run away!
>>
>>310892
>Run away!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPELc1wEvk
>>
>>310892
Run the fuck away. The kids are safe and whatever the fuck that thing is, it just ate a Meteor Punch. Run and have red ready to counter it if it pursues.
>>
>>310892
>Run away!
>>
Maybe with the green power we could have calmed the beast.
sad_frog.jpg
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.