[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Legacy Of Earth - Chapter 1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 169
Thread images: 1

File: Legacy of Earth.jpg (57KB, 900x563px) Image search: [Google]
Legacy of Earth.jpg
57KB, 900x563px
“It’s confirmed.”
The voice barks through your room.
“Impact of Celeste will occur in 7 weeks. Should touch down in central asia. The results are in from the Council. You have been elected by popular vote Commander of the Legacy project. Congratulations. We’ve forwarded dossiers and new clearances to your terminal. Your XO is en route to Legacy Actual. Planetary riot level is anticipated to be in the 90th percentile once the news goes public. We’ve already had several desertions from all levels of command.
It’s grim out there and it’s going to get worse. Council forces will be prioritising security of the Legacy sites and salvage. Obviously we will defer prioritisation as we move forward. First briefing is in two hours. I suggest you begin command selection. Best of luck Commander. For all our sakes. CoE out.”

Select your background:
>MILITARY
>SCIENTIFIC
>ENGINEERING
>POLITICAL
>>
>>303767
>Military
>>
>>303767
>>SCIENTIFIC
>>
>>303767
>Political
>>
>>303779
A smooth female voice issues from your holo terminal. A prompt appears on the screen.
>>>>>>>>>>>>WELCOME COMMANDER<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I AM LEGACY YOUR ADJUNCT INTELLIGENCE. UNFORTUNATELY MY RECORDS HAVE RECENTLY BEEN CORRUPTED DUE TO TERRORIST ATTACKS IN PRIMARY DATA CENTERS AROUND THE GLOBE BY THE EXTINCTIONIST MOVEMENT. PLEASE CLARIFY THE FOLLOWING TO AMEND RECORDS TO THEIR CORRECT STATE.

NAME: %DDSD5415133[ERROR][CORRUPTEDFILE]

BRANCH OF MILITARY:
>Aerospace
>Naval
>Ground Forces
>Special Operations
>Urban Pacification
>CO/INTEL

PRIMARY VERIFICATION WILL REQUIRE THREE CONFIRMATIONS BEFORE CONTINUING TO SECONDARY AND TERTIARY INFORMATION.
>>
>>303812
>Ground Forces
>>
>>303819

PLEASE UPDATE ALL FIELDS.
>>
>>303823
Whoops, hold on...
>Travis Peters
>Ground Forces
>>
>>303812
Alex Ward
>CO/INTEL
>>
>>303812
>Alex Ward
>>CO/INTEL
>>
>>303847
>>303865

THIRD CONFIRMATION REQUIRED TO PROCEED
>>
>>303865
Seconding.
>>
>>303865
I'll support this
>>
[green}>>>>>>>>>>>>>RECORDS UPDATED<<<<<<<<<<<<<[/green]

Name: Alex Ward, Commander. CO/INTEL

ALERT! MULTIPLE USER SERVICE RECORDS! PLEASE SELECT CORRECT SERVICE RECORD TO PROCEED!

>Alex Ward, Colonel.
Installation command of PRIM data collection branch.
Commendation for prevention of planned Extinctionist May Day attack.
Commendation for successful prosecution of mass data collection leading to recollection of TYP-A viral weapons with minimal losses
PROMOTED TO COMMANDER OF LEGACY PROJECT 2205

[PERK: DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS]

>Alex Ward, Agent
Successfully infiltrated Extinctionist cell in OPERATION RECIDIVIST and summarily executed command branch in Western European Confederate.
Reassigned to Legacy project to monitor loyalty of command branch. Successfully isolated Extinctionist mole and executed with minimal collateral damage.
PROMOTED WITH HONORS TO COMMANDER OF LEGACY PROJECT 2205

[PERK: INTELLIGENCE AGENT]

>AWAITING INPUT<
>>
>>303932
>Alex Ward, Colonel.
>Installation command of PRIM data collection branch.
>Commendation for prevention of planned Extinctionist May Day attack.
>Commendation for successful prosecution of mass data collection leading to recollection of TYP-A viral weapons with minimal losses
>PROMOTED TO COMMANDER OF LEGACY PROJECT 2205
>[PERK: DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS]
>>
>>303946

>>>IS THIS CORRECT?<<<
Y/N?
>>
>>303949
Y
>>
>>303949
Y
>>
>>303949
Y
>>
>>303955

>>>>>>>>>>>>>RECORDS UPDATED<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Service Record:
Alex Ward, Colonel.
Commendation for successful prosecution of mass data collection leading to recollection of TYP-A viral weapons with minimal losses

ALERT! PERSONAL RECORDS MISSING! MULTIPLE EDUCATIONAL RECORDS PRESENT IN SYSTEM! PLEASE CONFIRM

Education: Secondary with honors. Enrolled University degree where aptitude for PRIM program ascertained. Recruited by ASEC for formal training. First command 2195
[PERK: ACADEMIC]

ERROR!

Education: No Record. Apprehended under ASEC PROJECT RECLAMATION FOR HACKTIVIST ACTIVITY. Reconditioning successful. Offered XO training 2159. Exceeded results.
[PERK: HACKER]
>>
>>303990

!!!ERROR!!!

Education: No Record. Apprehended under ASEC PROJECT RECLAMATION FOR HACKTIVIST ACTIVITY. Reconditioning successful. Offered XO training XXXX. Exceeded results.
>>
>>303990
I say 26 is a good age for him.
>>
>>303990
26 sounds like a good age, prime of life sort of area.

Education: Secondary with honors. Enrolled University degree where aptitude for PRIM program ascertained. Recruited by ASEC for formal training. First command 2195
>>
>>303998
Forgot the other part.
>Education: Secondary with honors. Enrolled University degree where aptitude for PRIM program ascertained. Recruited by ASEC for formal training. First command 2195
>>
>>304011
>>304025

>>>>>>>>>>>>>RECORDS UPDATED<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Service Record:
Alex Ward, Colonel.

[Perk: DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS]

>>
With Legacy's quest to update your records satiated, you rub your eyes. It's far too early for this. You pour yourself a tepid cup of simcaf, apply a liberal amount of deodorant and begin to interrogate the AI.

Time: 0400

Commander, you have 2 hours until you are required in the briefing room. Dossiers and clearances have been updated. What would you like to do?

> Review Personnel Records
> Review Project Archives
> Review Daily intelligence reports
> Other

XO will arrive in one hour. Shall I arrange quarters or briefing materials for the Major?
>>
>>304067
>> Review Personnel Records
Let's see who are we working with. And yes.
>>
>>304067
> Review Project Archives

I'd arrange quarters and the needed briefing materials for him to actually provide input.
>>
[Just an OOC note, I'm happy for you to write your own options into this quest, and I will select the most popular result from choices within a five minute time limit, and the first die roll post.]
>>
>>304074
>>304075

So do you want to do both of these? This will split your time and hour for each and take you through until the briefing. You may not have time for every entry either, but you can always check it later.
>>
>>304114
Say yes.
>>
>>>>>PERSONNEL RECORDS<<<<<

WARNING! ACCESS TO PRIVILEGED INFORMATION WITHOUT CLEARANCE IS AN EXECUTABLE OFFENSE UNDER ARTICLE 378.1 OF THE COUNCIL OF EARTH TREATY 2116!

>>>>>LOADING>>>>>>
>HANDSHAKE AUTHENTICATING
>
>
>
>Success!

Welcome ALEX WARD, COMMANDER.

NOTE APPENDED TO DOSSIERS:

[Here it is commander. Our best and brightest. You'll want to read into each file with detail to get a better understanding of your team. Obviously it's going to be difficult to decide what the future of humanity looks like. Broadly speaking we're looking at five distinct caste-like social structures for the launch that we're designating "Executives" (you can read more about the exact specifications in the project files) and we've designated three candidate selections for each specialty. I've made some annotations to the dossiers based on my own personal observations of the subjects through the vetting process. Best of luck. - Vittoria Lane, MD. psych.]

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
SCIENCE EXECUTIVE

> Fenson, R. Specialty: Geneticist, Botany
> Everette, W. Specialty: Astrophysicist, Applied String Theory.
>Wanda, I. Specialty: Anomalous Materials, Xenominerology

ENGINEERING EXECUTIVE

>Dao, X. Specialty: Cybernetic Reconstitution
>Hwung, L. Specialty: Zero G Fabrication
>Walker, M. Specialty: Design Innovation

SECURITY EXECUTIVE

>Kass, R. Specialty: Operational Logistics
>Lao, N. Specialty: Special operations
>Venner, K. Specialty: [CLASSIFIED], Orbital Operations.

AGRICULTURAL EXECUTIVE

>Mann, S. Specialty: Zero G Agriculture
>Skinner, C. Specialty: Hydroponic Subsystems
> Lion, V. Specialty: H2O, O2 Fabrication.

ADMINISTRATION EXECUTIVE

> Williams, T. Specialty: Bureaucrat
> Pearson, Q. Specialty: Information Systems
> Persons. A. Specialty: Political Liaison

>>>>Query?
>>
>>304186
>Fenson, R. Specialty: Geneticist, Botany
>Kass, R. Specialty: Operational Logistics
> Lion, V. Specialty: H2O, O2 Fabrication.
> Williams, T. Specialty: Bureaucrat
>>
>>304219
I'll support most of this assuming we change

for

>Hwung, L. Specialty: Zero G Fabrication

As I feel space might be rather important.
>>
>>304219

> Fenson, Raymond.
Widely regarded during the 2180’s as the top of the geneticist field with an interest in hybridised botany. Valedictorian of the University of Cambridge 2182. Arrested 2193 in relation to illegal genome experimentation and remanded to Irafura Orbital prison. Released 2198 full pardon by Councilman Dietrich Haussmann.
[Psychiatric notes: Raymond is an eccentric personality and holds little with conventional morality. He is a borderline psychopath according to all personality indexes performed. Be aware of attempts to manipulate you to further his own goals. However, his critical thinking and understanding of genetic science might be invaluable should… modifications… be required to adapt humanity to any potential new homes.]
>>
>>304264
Very well. I'll switch.
>>
>>304219
> Walker, Michael.

Winner of the ASEC design competition, Michael has been an invaluable member of PROJECT ORION- The engine design wing of the Legacy Project. When his mentor was killed in a calibration accident, Michael was accelerated to the top of the list due to his intimate understanding of the Orion subsystems.
[I found Michael to be a gentle, pleasant young man. I think he may suffer from a spectrum disorder, borderline autistic. However, calm under pressure, and slow to anger. Possibly unfit for leadership role? If left in charge of a tight knit crew that supports him, I think that this will supplement his deficits in leadership ability.]
>>
>>304279
Too late I guess but he sounds useful.
>>
>>304288

At this point you're just looking at the dossiers.
>>
>>304219

> Kass, Raelene.

Raelene was one of the first generation AI-sublimated officers in ASEC. Exceptional ability in organisational matters. Consideration accelerated due to military record and experimental subsystems in the Legacy project that would allow for direct interface with data systems.
[Raelene is no nonsense. Clinically sound, if a bit cantankerous. I put this down to age.]
>>
>>304219
>Lion, Victor
Victor is lead designer on PROJECT OXIDE; Legacy subsystem that allows for oxygen scrubbing and recycling. Since being employed as lead after his predecessor was revealed to have Extinctionist sympathies and summarily executed, he has improved systems by 250% within 6 months.
[Victor is still crippled with doubt and guilt over the killing of his colleague. He discovered the sabotage that ultimately resulted in the apprehension of Carrie Shastri. Possible romantic relationship? Stable, but suggest monitoring.]
>>
>>304219
>Williams, Thomas.

Chancellor Thomas Williams has been one of the major allies to Project Legacy in the CoE government. His ability to work through the bureaucratic red tape to supply much needed materials has been invaluable. Was one of the signatories of the May Day Pact that aligned several shuttle projects under the Legacy Project umbrella. Key supporter of the current commander’s appointment. Has Most Secret Clearances.
[I know you can read this Thomas.]
>>
[Alright, after reviewing the dossiers for an hour you can either move on to review the Project Archive or continue to read more dossiers.]
>>
>>304334
Review those Archives. We read the rest before we go asleep.
>>
>>304334
Move onto the project archive i'd say, we can review the rest of our staff later.
>>
>>304349

>>>>>PROJECT LEGACY RECORDS<<<<<

WARNING! ACCESS TO PRIVILEGED INFORMATION WITHOUT CLEARANCE IS AN EXECUTABLE OFFENSE UNDER ARTICLE 378.1 OF THE COUNCIL OF EARTH TREATY 2116!

>>>>>LOADING>>>>>>
>HANDSHAKE AUTHENTICATING
>
>
>
>Success!

Welcome ALEX WARD, COMMANDER.

>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>>

Project LEGACY - Overview

Sub-articles:
Project ORION
Project OXIDE
Project OUROBOROS
Project ICEMAN

Organisations
CoE
ASEC
EXTINCTIONISTS

Events
MAY DAY
Western American Genocide
Luna Colony Disaster
Celeste

(Select 3 entries)
>>
>>304376
>Project OXIDE
>ASEC
>Western American Genocide
>>
>>304376
Luna Colony Disaster
Project OUROBOROS
Project ICEMAN

>>304391
I'd point out we know what project OXIDE is, the oxygen generation system for our project.
>>
>>304391
>>304439

Let me know which of these you'd like to view valued questers.
>>
>>304439
Then ICEMAN
>>
>>304442
Lets start with project ICEMAN
>>
>>304442
Ice
>>
>>304465
>>304454
>>304443

>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>>

Project ICEMAN

Project Iceman is a three pronged attempt to create viable travel systems for large quantities of personnel. This includes:
- Cryostasis
- Gene Printing
- Nano-Longevity Project

Cryostasis:
Due to the hazard of long term space travel to the psychological and physical wellbeing of untrained personnel, it was proposed that utilising minor genetic alterations and mechanical methods that humans be interred in large scale “freezers” that allow for monitoring of vital signs whilst in suspended animation. The results have been mixed with a two year long trial resulting in 89% fatality rates. However, this is considered well within operational failure margins and is the most promising of the three proposed travel systems.

Gene Printing:
The complete opposite of the cryostasis method’s thinking. Gene Printing is an effort to create a viable genetic “print” and digital copy of subjects minds. The concept breaks down into three stages:

Ingestion: Subjects are gene printed and have copies of their personalities uploaded to a large server matrix where they enjoy a virtual existence.

Divestment: Unnecessary organic materials are broken down into component parts and kept in “gene vats” for later reconstitution.
Reintergration: Organic material is ‘printed’ as per the original subject’s design and the digital copy of the personality is reintroduced to the reconstituted body.

Initial testing on convicts has shown a somewhat promising result, however the personality scans are imperfect and the reconstituted bodies take months to grow.

Nano-Longevity

Simply put, Nano robotic systems monitor the travellers wellbeing and upkeep cellular integrity creating a “first generation immortality”. Initial testing is promising, but without 80+ years for viability tests this is considered the “long shot” as we simply do not have enough data to know whether it will work. The nano-longevity project has been designated for essential personnel only.
>>
Next entry?
>>
>>304483
Luna Colony Disaster
>>
>>304487
Luna Colony Disaster

June 26th 2112

The Luna Colony Disaster was the precursor warning strike to ELE “CELESTE”. Lunar Colony 1 was within seventy miles of impact zone of the advance wave of city killer asteroids and completely halted efforts to colonise the Moon. Over 1.7 million people were killed both in the initial impact and secondary earthstrikes which devastated the Continental US, Western Canada, Alaska, Korea and Mexico.
Initially considered to be a ‘one off’ earth strike, the events of MAY DAY twenty years later would prove the beginning of the underlying theory of the existence of Celeste.
>>
Last entry we want to view before the briefing?
>>
>>304554
OUROBOROS
>>
>>304560

Project OUROBOROS

Ouroboros is the codename given to the sociology department to Project Legacy. Tasked with identifying the best governance system and selection of candidates for leadership positions, it comprises the largest logistic effort to census and peer review worth for the success of Project Legacy. It is comprised of two departments:
Personnel: Wherein selected members of the human race are vetted for genetic, social, psychological and meritorious fitness for the project.
Governance: This department consists primarily of psychiatrist and statesmen that run simulations to determine the best methods of control to provide the optimal chance of success for the project. As of the moment a directorate system of caste-like importance has been determined as the most successful method to deal with the rigors of space travel and the onerous job of building a new colony. Each directorate has a specific role to fulfil, thus creating closed societal roles that do not outweigh the other, with the administrative directorate being the leadership caste under leadership of an elected Commander (the name Executive was also bandied about, but determined to have negative connotations).
>>
WILL THAT BE ALL COMMANDER?

"Yes, thank you Legacy. Go into standby"

COMPLYING.

There is a whir and the blue glow of Legacy's display shuts down. You collect your terminal, a briefcase sized holo-emitter and yawn. The sleep cycle lights have been replaced with much brighter work cycle lighting. It almost feels like being outside, however the concrete bulkheads of your room remind you that you are 300ft below ground level.

You step outside of your quarters into the hallways and are immediately greeted by a young woman wearing XO epaulets.

"Good morning sir, I'm XO Smith, I've been assigned to the Legacy Project. It's an honor."

>?
>>
>>304603
"Hello, I'm Alex Ward, Commander of the LEGACY Project. It's an honor as well."
>>
>>304666

"Hello, I'm Alex Ward, Commander of the LEGACY project. It's an honor as well."

Smith nods, it suddenly dawns on you she has a slight British accent.

"Yes sir, I'm aware. I've been dispatched by CoE to assist you in the final preparations for the launch."

You both start to walk towards the briefing room, her, crisp and professional, you a little unkempt, but no worse for wear.

"As of zero hundred hours last night, we have seven confirmed Legacy sites ready for embarkation, including Legacy Actual with a further thirteen tasked to come online within five weeks. There are another four that are within the margin of completion, but personally sir I think we should just mark them for salvage and scuttle them. For the agenda today we will be discussing the relevant command teams and directorate heads as well as making final decisions on the various component technologies. We need to begin installation and embarkation preparations for civilian travellers."

You round a corner as a hurried ensign almost collides into you. "Sorry sir!"

"Finally, once we have the selection process down, we will be handing over operational control to you to determine our efforts moving ahead. Orbital imagery shows that Celeste is on schedule, but we will be delaying the announcement as long as possible to keep panic at a minimum, but there have been some arguments made that if the timetable is made public knowledge it might rally the populace behind our efforts. It's going to be a long one today sir."

>?
>>
15 minute break. will be back soon.
>>
>>304719
"Do you have any recommendations?
>>
>>304742
Seconded.
>>
>>304742

"Do you have any recommendations?"

Smith bites her lip for a moment.

"I'm not convinced telling anyone about the impending end of the world is going to do anything but scare people. You'll have riots and looting, perfect breeding ground for Extinctionist terror attacks, and as I said, we should scuttle the last four sites and re-appropriate the supplies, man-power and components."

Two armed guards salute you as you reach the security station that secures the command bunker.

"The only other thing I can suggest is to not let the Americans get what they want. They've already appropriated far too many resources for their Legacy ships, they might be a major signatory, but they can't hold you to ransom unless they want their final Orion components."
>>
>>304784

After a quick verification of your identity, the bulkhead is unsealed to allow you and Smith entry into the command bunker. A large room that steeps inwards to a display showing a holograph of the earth, a constantly updating stream of information displaying. Ominously telemetry of Celeste's path is marked in an angry red, constantly updating time and impact zone as more accurate predictions are available.

It is unmistakable though, there will be impact and it will destroy everything, leaving the planet a cracked husk.

Above the command deck a large windowed briefing room sits opposite the way you entered.

"Commander on deck!"

The entire room stops their operations and salutes you.

>?
>>
>>304855

Forgot my trip.
>>
>>304855
>Introduce yourself and give a short speech about our goal.
>>
>>304907

Feel free to write a speech or outline the specific points and tone you want to cover.
>>
>>304950
>Talk about why we're here
>the great impact it will have on the human race
>Future is bright
In a motivational tone
Sorry if it's a bit bare. Sort of late where I live.
>>
>>304966

"Gentlemen, ladies. This world is coming to an end."

You gesture to the holo display.

"Many of our scientists hoped that this would be a near miss, a fluke shot, but we have just received confirmation of an impact that will crack this planet like an egg. Billions will die. The human race is on the precipice of extinction. There are even some out there that welcome and seek to hasten that destruction, whether it is through some kind of mental disease, religious fervor or pure nihilism. We have seen the darkest of times, and we will see more in the precious few days ahead."

You pause to let the information sink in. A grim mood hangs in the air.

"But this is not the end of humanity. In many ways this is only the beginning. In two centuries of strife we see a world united like never before. Scientific leaps that would have taken centuries were we not pressed with our backs to the wall. The best of the best working to solve this problem, from every conceivable angle. You, the strong, the proud, the capable, the elite, you will shepherd in a new age of humanity. The age of man amongst the stars! In only seven weeks we as a species, as one people will be put to the test like never before. It is on OUR shoulders that this burden falls. We cannot be found wanting."

You cast your gaze across a sea of faces. Some look tired, aged beyond their years. Others are thoughtful, a few smile when you lock eyes.

"This is a task that we cannot fail at. Remember that we work towards a future for our children and our children's children. Now. Hop to it!"

The room immediately returns to work. Smith leans in.

"Hop to it?"

"Stow it XO. I'm not made of speeches."

"Duly noted."

You cross to the briefing room. Three uniformed officers and a selection of holo terminals wait. An interference laden voice greets you.

"Thank you for joining us commander. As you can imagine, we have a lot to discuss."

>?
>>
>>304979
This will be my last one since I need to go to sleep. I had fun with this quest. Goodnight
>>
>>304979
- Refuse to scuttle the ships, they will reach completion at all cost.
- Favor and demand the best scenarios for coercing the population to serve the program, and perhaps even hamper the competition and exploit their distress to better serve our program as news inevitably reaches them as well:
A) Bribe totalitarian leaders with safe passage in exchange for resources
B) Target anarchy consumed states for joint programs in exchange for the bulk share of room in them
- Promote divestment and reintegration path for project iceman.
- Query the status of the psychological and genetic survey for the legacy population
>>
>>305003
Agreed. I like where this is going OP, but I am too tired to participate.
>>
>>305003

Cheers senpai.
>>
>>305004

You look around the room. You immediately recognize the three uniformed officers as ASEC Generals, each of them technically outranked by your elevated position. They were all your rivals for the position of commander, though now showing solidarity, you are certain that at least two of them, Generals Shiro and Lancaster are silently fuming about having to take orders from a man almost half their age. The third, General Penn, seems to be nursing a half hidden smile, as though he's privy to a joke no one else in the room is aware of, including yourself.

You glance at the holo screens, seven in total. Five men, two women. Chancellors of the Council of Earth. You notice Chancellor Williams, representative of the North Americas is present, you give him a slight nod, which he returns. You recognise Lady Wilhelmina Landwell West European Union representative, and Llme Umbwele Allied African representative. Bruce Rodham, Oceania, Mohammed Al Alhazred, Middle Eastern Coalition, Emmerson Henrique, Greater Brazilian Protectorate and Emil Sredorovich of the Slavic League. The great and powerful all at ten inches tall.

You sit, as does the rest of the staff.

Chancellor Williams starts the discussion, his raspy voice played through interference laid speakers.

"As I understand we currently have seven Legacy sites ready for launch, with another thirteen sites within five weeks. There are also four others that are nearing completion but aren't projected to meet the deadline. I think that it's simply within our interest to decommission and repurpose them-"

Emmerson explodes. "And leave my people with only ONE Legacy vessel?! You are well aware, Williams, that you condemn my people to dying just to save your own people's skin!"

Williams immediately shoots back "It is not the fault of the North Americas that the Brazilian protectorate was such a late signatory to the May Day Pact! You know as well as I do Emmerson that if you had simply conceded to the resource demands we had ALL agreed to funnel into Legacy that you might have had two months more development time! Do not punish innocent people simply because you were too short sighted to realise that this was a common threat to be fought together!"

"The resource demand was incredibly unreasonable! Brasilia cannot simply turn over that much raw material with our infrastructure and you knew it! You were using it as an excuse to force us into food concessions with the ACTA accords!"

>The two chancellors are infighting, what do you do?
>>
>>305046
Intervene on behalf of Emmerson. The ships will reach their deadline.
>>
>>305061

You raise a hand.

"Respectfully chancellors, we can't afford to argue about this. The ships must meet their deadline- all of them. We have less than two months to impact. I am certain that if we adjust our schedules slightly we can find a way to make this work. Now is not the time to be self-interested."

Emmerson looks a little surprised. "The people of Brasilia thank you commander."

Williams is less impressed. "Commander, this isn't about self interest, this is about common sense. If we were to support these projects without the added problem of civil unrest affecting supply I wouldn't be making this argument. When news breaks- and it will break- we will have absolute pandemonium on our hands. Do you think it will be so easy then to send resources through war-torn areas? With mass desertions? This is the reality of how this will play out. If we are lucky, we will retain 25% operational output. I urge you to reconsider. Especially given that the African Alliance's legacy vessels and the Slavic League are critically under supplied with continuous Extinctionist attacks hitting their supply routes."
>>
>>305070
Perhaps it's better to postpone this subject for now and continue towards the goal of all ships reaching the deadline. Shift it to the policy of public relations and population management. If news breaks, and it will, then it should be on our terms, and the population should be seen as an asset, rather than a ticking time bomb.

Saying only 0.0001% will survive and addressing them as the people's figurative children isn't going to invoke many beneficial responses. People are more personal than that. Human network expands only to 100 individuals as well. With a face. This needs to considered.

What about half truths? Reveal to the public, first in hints via commercials and "leaks" that the end is coming, but that we're working on a project that will stop the threat with great confidence. It's not entirely a lie, but it can work. People will give up on entertainment and luxuries, and work harder for national and global interest. By the time the ruse is revealed the schedule would be already near completion quite a bit in advance.
>>
>>305081

"Gentlemen, and ladies, my decision for the moment stands, but let us postpone this discussion until the situation changes. We cannot simply forecast doom and gloom when we don't know for certain how the public will react."

Neither Williams or Emmerson look particularly happy about this, but they don't object.

"Since this was brought up though, lets discuss public relations and population management when the news break. It seems to me that it would be more advantageous to situate ourselves where the population becomes an asset rather than a time bomb. What are our options?"

Llme speaks up. "We already have the extinctionist movement riling up our local populations, they have slowly convinced many of our lower classes that Armageddon is upon us and that it is their christian duty to hasten it and act as angels of death. We have had to mobilise several divisions of soldier to enact urban pacification in most of former Zimbabwe. I do not think that giving creedence to their claims is a wise move."

Lady Wilhelmina speaks. "I must disagree with Chancellor Umbwele, most of our scientific community is already aware of the Legacy project and rumors have already been circulated by Extinctionist circles claiming that the rich and powerful are building arks to save themselves while leaving the poor to die. I say that if we have a controlled media release that outlays the entire project- including the selection processes that are to be tabled today- we will avoid the majority of unrest. There will be civil disobedience, but I would suggest a lot of it will be turned inwards as opposed to outwards."

Bruce interrupts. "I would argue that it would simply be better for a complete media blackout. Disable all international communications systems, send all satellite communications into decayed orbit and remain on military communications. It will create civil unrest, but people will be far less likely to riot and we net the added bonus of being able to control rumor."

Wilhelmina looks aghast at the prospect. William, thoughtful.
>>
>>305098

General Shiro speaks.

"With respect to the commander, I agree with Chancellor Rodham, but in addition perhaps it would be simpler if we also enacted martial law throughout the crisis' last possible moment. With the military in control across all seven CoE sectors and the media, we could maintain order for as long as possible by screening military communications and retaliate against all Extinctionist actions."

Sredorovich interrupts in heavily accented english. "What does the commander think is the best course of action?"

>?
>>
Alright questers, I'm off for now. Feel free to post and discuss below.
>>
>>305107
Spin and lie. Recruit the most charismatic and trustworthy leaders; politicians, public school teachers, religious leaders including imams, rabbis, priests and the pope. State representatives. Tell them a solution was already found and has a 100% success in simulations, via a series of accurate nuclear detonations some distance from Earth. The logistical effort however requires the population to pitch in like during war times. Melt pots, volunteer in state nationalized factories, and so on. So long as they receive hope, they will endevear to believe in it, move to secure it, and act in anger on anyone who would suggest the situation is otherwise. They will work to save their families and children, and will see extinctionists as a direct threat to their wellbeing.

This will involve a significant media spin. Any leak of the program can be ridiculed as false rumors by extinctionists to promote their evil religious goal. Any individual source will be villified, and silenced behind the scenes. This will involve increased supervision on our teams to prevent them from faltering and leaking concrete intelligence.

By the time the public realizes the lie, it would be too late for the chaos to cause significant harm. They would hasten the project by precious days, if not weeks, and the military would do what it must to protect key sites of the project in the final days.

It is important to use McCarthyism and the most dirty tricks humanity has in its arsenal, because they're effective. I'm willing to step on our ideals in order to save them. Thankfully extinctionists already volunteered themselves as the targeted minority.

This won't be pretty, this will be disgusting, but I care only for results. Let our children condemn us, so long as they'll be alive to do so.
>>
>>305146
Do this but repurpose 2 of the 4 to assist the other 2 it clearly is impossible to make the deadline at least 2 will make it also do something about the Americans and do something about the spys extremists that obviously have slipped in
>>
>>305146
>has a 100% success in simulations
100% is far too high and smacks of a lie.
Have a more believable number, such as 88.98%, or maybe 93.76665%.
The more granular the number, the more valid it seems since a lie would be an unrealistically high or absolute number.
>>
>>305396
We just said that all ships must be completed.
And do what with the Americans?

Give some concrete suggestions, not useless drivel.
>>
>>305401
I would suggest that he means, try to make the Americans less of a bunch of dicks and perhaps gather further support from them to route to the Brazilian legacy sites.
>>
>>306051
>try to make the Americans less of a bunch of dicks
Okay, but again, how? What argument can we use that we haven't already?
While it's talking a good game, most of the other Chancellors and even the other generals of our command staff believe that we'd be wasting time, resources, and personnel on what will ultimately fail. So we would need a good reason for them to route logistical support towards the Brazilians when their own sites aren't finished yet.
>>
>>306175
Ask if they want to have to give up seats on their own legacy crafts, to assist in preserving an entire culture.

Failing that just ignore dealing with the Americans, bunch of rich asses they seem to be.
>>
>>306206
>Ask if they want to have to give up seats on their own legacy crafts, to assist in preserving an entire culture.
They did just say that if the Brazilians hadn't procrastinated and instead buckled down and done their work like everyone else did, they wouldn't be behind.

I mean, those 4 Legacy sites are for the Brazilians, right?
Which means that the Mid-East, Eastern Europe, and Africa all got their shit together and have their sites on-schedule. The Slavic League and African Alliance have deal with constant terrorist attacks on their sites and logistical supply chains, and yet they're on time.

This IS Brazil's own fault.
>>
Alrighty questers. I'm back.

Lots to discuss I see. Some interesting strategies. What do we want to do?
>>
>>306959
Well, I guess first we should know how accurate this >>306452
supposition is about the 4 remaining Legacy sites:
1. Are they all meant for Brazil
2. Is it really Brazil's own fault
Because if the Slavic League, African Alliance, and the Middle Eastern Coalition can all keep their projects to the timetable, then it really does sound like it's Brazil's fault for lagging behind and we'd need a really good reason for the North Americans to jeopardize their own schedules and the lives that they're responsible for.

Secondly, how feasible is a big lie to be told to the world? We'd have to be seen moving nuclear weapons to the Legacy sites in order for an intercept mission to hold water.
Not to mention, when would Celeste be visible for our lie to be exposed as the sham that it is?
>>
>>307015
I'd guess that the lie is feasible, assuming we convince people that the legacy sites really are just an advanced transport for the nukes.

However moving nuclear warheads is not needed, if anyone asks just state that the warheads are being kept secure until we are certain that the extinctionists won't intercept any.
>>
>>307015

1. Three of the remaining shuttles are Brazillian. They haven't even completed their first shuttle, though they are on course to have at least one ready for launch in the second wave.

2. That's conjecture. The African Alliance has the entire mineral breadbasket of Africa to work with and the Slavic League have immense manpower. Brazil was the last Bloc signatories to the May Day Pact, as a result they weren't included in the program earlier. Each member nation has an international requirement to meet contribution quotas (The idea being to spread the technology and specialized components, resources etc and completion of the Legacies so no one bloc could dick over the rest) but as for their own legacy sites they have autonomy on how quickly they are built.

3. A big lie is feasible, however, you will need to deal with a lot of lash back from Extinctionists, media reportage and conspiracy nuts. It's manageable, but you are right in thinking it would take a LOT of effort to make the charade seem real.

As for when Celeste would be visible, non-military observation would probably pick it up within a month, civilian astronomers would most likely pick it up within the last two weeks. Everyone would know at least a week out as there will be massive Earth strike waves.
>>
>>307119

I should mention, though it's in the archive, Celeste is technically classified as a rogue planetoid.
>>
>>307119
Would it be possible to convince the Russian and African blocs to assist the Brazilians, by pointing out that they would;

1) Owe them a favour
2) Weaken the power base of the other blocs (even more so since the Brazilians will owe them a favour)
>>
>>307170

1. At this point a favour isn't likely to hold much truck as everyone is down to the brass tacks. It would need to be a pretty damn big favour

2. It wouldn't necessarily do much to weaken the power base of the other blocs as everyone is in it together. That said, it is entirely possible that several blocs could band together and exclude support for another bloc. Hence why the division of technological responsibilities was spread out amongst the blocs- to prevent this exact problem.
>>
>>307211
I mean when we come to settle down on other planets, or if we have to make a vote later in universe.

The idea being that if the Russians want to settle planet A but the Americans, Chinese and euros want planet B they can get assistance in the vote from the Brazilians to try to tip it their way.
>>
>>307342

Well, as OUROBOROS outlines, they've actually gone to great lengths to develop a monoculture once they escape earth loosely based on caste systems, so that sort of bargaining isn't really going to work.

I suggest that maybe you contact each Councillor and see what support you can drum up for your plan after the meeting.
>>
>>307366
Eh, I'll be honest I have no problem with most of the Brazilian craft not being finished, so long as two or three make it it'll be fine in my books.
>>
>>307386
>so long as two or three make it it'll be fine in my books.
None of them are going to make it, and the Brazilians are adamant that none of them will be scrapped.

Not to mention, we already staked our command on all of them being completed.

We have to come up with a way for all 4 delayed sites to make the deadline, or we admit in front of everyone that we were talking pure bullshit and that not all of the sites will be finished.
>>
So, what do?
>>
>>307445
Do people know of the existence of Celeste, and of its general size/mass?

If that's unknown, we might be able to lie to the public that we can divert the course of Celeste.

Otherwise, I think a modified version of Lady Wilhelmina's suggestion might work, with a bit of lying about Project Iceman's Cryostasis and Gene Printing success rates.

Say that we have achieved successful cryostasis for a majority of the population.
The selection process will be camouflaged as selection for crew while everyone else will be put into cryostasis in the holds.
Thereby, people will think that even if they don't make the cut for the "crew" they can still survive as part of the "passengers".
>>
>>307528

Basically the public is aware that there is a rogue planet that will pass near the earth. The theory with regards to Celeste was popularised as "a near miss, with probable earth strikes". So the population is aware that Celeste is approaching, but they otherwise believe that there isn't going to be an extinction level event.

The Extinctionists however think it will.

Among the halls of power they've known with 70-80% probability that it will hit for around 10 years. They've been working quietly to get Legacy into play for that long as a backup in case the 20-30% chance it misses falls through. The idea had been that if Celeste had missed they would have unveiled Legacy as a bright new era of space exploration.
>>
List of Launch Sites and their preparedness for you all:

North Americas
First Stage Launch Sites:
Cheyenne (Legacy Actual) >>>>>> 100%
Houston >>>>>> 100%

Secondary Stage Launch Sites:
Prince Edward >>>>>> 80%
Yucatan Peninsula >>>>>> 70%
Olympia >>>>>> 60%

Tertiary Stage Launch Sites:
N/A

Western European Union

Viborg >>>>>>100%
Zurich >>>>> 100%

Isle of Wight >>>>> 90%
Valencia >>>>> 55%
Cologne >>>>> 60%

N/A

Slavic League

Baikonur >>>>>>100%

Novosibirsk >>>>> 90%
Novohrad >>>>> 55%

N/A

Oceania

Boston Island >>>>>>100%

Taipei >>>>> 85%
Kunming >>>>> 55%
Jinzhou >>>>> 60%

N/A

Middle Eastern Coalition

Satish Dhawan >>>>>>100%

Sriharikota >>>>> 90%
Palmachim >>>>> 55%

N/A

Greater Brazilian Protectorate

N/A

Alcantara >>>>> 90%

Guiana >>>>> 35%
Parnamirim >>>>> 15%
La Serena >>>>> 40%
>>
>>307581
So what you are saying is we have promised to get the barzzilian hips ready, eve though they are behind schedule and all the groups whom might, or can help, won't because we lack any possible rewards. Christ I have seen bad decisions but I think this takes the cake guys.

Welp, time to deal with this in a highly immoral manor; we'll enslave all criminals and use them as labour to accelerate the construction and gathering of the Brazilian launches.

Maybe we could deploy armed assets from stable regions to assist in protecting the supply lines of those groups under attack, if they finish early they might be willing to route a small amount of resources to the Brazilians.

Failing all of this; we are going to instate martial law to accelerate construction times as it is, in my opinion, the only way to be certain that they will complete on time.
>>
>>307581
Impact is scheduled to be within 7 weeks, right?

Holy shit, that is close. I'm assuming it's already come in between Earth and Mars, unless that planet is moving exceptionally fast.

I still think that we use the half-lie media release from >>307528
We say that most people will be saved, and the more people work, the greater chance of success. Hold out the hope of cryostasis for everyone who doesn't make the cut for being part of the "crew", and instead are just "passengers".
We don't tell them that 89% of them will die.
Who know, maybe we'll make a last minute breakthrough that'll bring the fatality rate down to 50%.
>>307621
>So what you are saying is we have promised to get the barzzilian hips ready, eve though they are behind schedule and all the groups whom might, or can help, won't because we lack any possible rewards.
Yep.
Blame this guy >>305061
As for your other suggestions, I can agree with them, though I think we're already using criminals in Project Iceman.
Maybe we do what the South Koreans did in the run up to the 1988 Olympics and just start rounding up "vagrants" and "criminals" to work on the Legacy sites?
Though I don't think it'll work because we need skilled technicians and engineers, not unskilled labor that might sabotage the project.
>>
>>307616

Just a quick addenum. There is a tertiary launch site for Oceania on the Dampier Peninsula at 40% readyness
>>
Also, I'll let you guys have a half hour to discuss the exact course you want to take with everything before making a post. Then I have to duck away for a few hours.
>>
>>307674
Thing is we need people to transport, mine, weld and perform other such roles. In these political dissidents, criminals and the poor are perfect.

Also I agree, we must go ahead with the media half lie or perhaps the outright lie, either shall receive my support.

>>307715
Hell, between my suggestions (>>307621) and this other anon I think we'll be fine to get going now, unless he has any more suggestions?
>>
>>307749
>unless he has any more suggestions
That's all from me.
Maybe if we can put together some kind of mock up of the cryostasis project, something that we can use to demonstrate the freezing and thawing in front of the media to show that cryostasis works, even though it's actually very dangerous.
>>
So just to clarify:
> Brazillian Ships must be completed.
> Combination of Wilhelmina’s strategy and revealing Project Iceman, with inflated numbers to allay worry, including a "live" cryostasis demonstration.
> Round up criminals, vagrants, the unemployed and put them to work
>>
>>307850
To be fair we can always deal with the media in the most direct fashion; you lie for us, you get a place.

What we must worry about is an Edward snowden sort of situation where we might lose project secrecy.
>>
>>307876
I believe that's what we can all agree on.
As immoral as those decisions are, we're facing human extinction, and we're well past the Godzilla Threshold.

>>307885
>What we must worry about is an Edward snowden sort of situation where we might lose project secrecy.
Agreed. We will need very good security. The intel operatives we put on internal information security would have to be made to understand that for those people that are going to become "passengers", it's a choice between 11% chance of survival, or 0%.

Come to think of it, would we be able to take up a large number of people in cryostasis anyway? Or are all of the ship cargo holds already allocated for fuel, equipment, and consumables?
>>
You drum your fingers on the table.
“We have to make the odds the best they can be. I want those additional ships ready to go. You’re right however Chancellors, we cannot simply hope that we will have enough support to see the completion go through.”
You drum your fingers again.
“I believe we should take a pragmatic approach. We cannot simply ignore the panic that will come from obfuscating the facts or letting the information leak in a way we cannot control. We will reveal selected details of the project to the public, including the selection process. However, to control the populace we will also create false hope- the cyrostasis technologies will be presented as a method by which we will carry the vast bulk of humanity from Earth to our new home. This will mask our recruitment of the crew as we begin to process people. I want doctored demonstrations made public that show a high success rate to allay fears and complete media control to prevent any leaks.”
“Lastly. I want all homeless, all prisoners and all unemployed persons of all the signatory states to be rounded up and divided into relevant resource and fabrication projects to help supplement the legacy efforts.”
You eye each member of the council and then your generals.
“Now is not a time to worry about the morality of the decisions we make here today, let history judge us harshly. Now, what's next on the agenda?”

>What technological components to use for Legacies
>Command role decisions
>Intelligence briefing
>Other.
>>
>>307910

>Come to think of it, would we be able to take up a large number of people in cryostasis anyway? Or are all of the ship cargo holds already allocated for fuel, equipment, and consumables?

These are decisions you can make during the briefing, or delegate to closer to the launch.
>>
>>307947
we should discuss the different projects, we don't know what project ouroboros is really yet.
>>
>>307947
>Intelligence briefing
I'd like to know what's going on, so that our decisions on technologies and command roles can be better informed.
>>
>>307947

>>307985
Ouroboros sounds like a slightly more moral version of what the fallout vaults were; social experiments to determine the best form of government for a post-nuke nation (or if you believe some lore, for a colony ship to another planet.).
>>
>>308005
if a planet hit our planet no amount of vault tech will save you.
It sounds more like a project to have living non cryostasised craw menber to man the ship or at least check if the AI are doing their jobs.
Also might be related to actually having people reproduce on the ship by alternative means.
>>
>>308023
I mean that they are performing experiments analysing the faults of different social systems in different conditions to determine the best possible government for our mission.
>>
I have to duck off now, I'll be back in a few hours.
>>
>>308029
The best one for a small community is obviously a military governement with an onboard AI and a small group of leader who can decide to overide the AI's command if they have a majority.
Also are we on earth?
because if we are we can just go orbit another planet with the ship then start colonizing mars.
>>
>>308023
It was already explained up here >>304597
and clarified here >>307366

Project OUROBOROS is how to structure society and culture in the Project LEGACY ships so that the colonists can survive the extended period of time to get to the colonization site and set up the colonies.

They are planning to do this by developing a monoculture with social castes.
>>
>>308045
Have you read any of the story posts so far?
Most of your questions are answered by the story posts already made.

The big one not yet answered is whether we're colonizing Mars or an extra-solar system.
And either case, the Legacy ships would still not be enough for most of the human population since we only have 7 weeks left.
>>
>>307985
>we should discuss the different projects, we don't know what project ouroboros is really yet.
We don't know the details, such as progress or which technologies are being developed versus ones in place, but we do know what each of the projects is about.

ORION - Engines
OUROBOROS - Social structure and command structure
OXIDE - oxygen scrubbing and waste recycling/reclamation
ICEMAN - long-term preservation

Also, how can we talk about which technological components to use for Legacies if we haven't gone over the archive articles on each Project and technology yet?
>>
>>308063
>the Legacy ships would still not be enough for most of the human population since we only have 7 weeks left.
that's obvious and we don't need them to be.
All that we might want is their DNA at best and a small crew.
If we can get 200 people into space it would be a miracle already.
But what we mostly need is cryostasis if we're going to another planet than mars or need to prevent too much food comsumption, sufficient engines and power, i'm guessing ORION is an electric high power engine project maybe like VASIMR engines using plasma and magnetism, which would likely mean we're taking a nuclear reactor into space if we don't already have one up there.
OUROBOROS might be the least needed of projects if we can just manage to keep the crew's mental state well simply by taking large amounts of data in a digital form on board or simply into space where communication with it is possible, basically using a satelitte as a giganteous data cloud and putting a load of data on it, useful or simply for enteretainement.
We could even have an AI command most of the ship and only allow people to perform certain action in certian conditions, like having the nuclear reactor locked until as certain time of the month for a check up.
OXIDE will be one of the most important because lasting is space is way harder than getting there.
ICEMAN might not be needed if we go to mars and bring few people, If shit hit the fan real hard ICEMAN might be unnecessary to ensure at least the survival of mankind.
Regarding Plan A our best bet is to go to a planet with fuel for our ship and potentially some ressources before going to mars or another planet, i doubt we'll have our fuel tanks full once we get the ship in orbit so might as well prepare some way to extract ressources up there if we can.
>>
>>308182
We do have that DNA and mind scan system but the problem is that it is inaccurate to some degree. Either we lie to the people and get crucified on the other end of the trip, ending up with a bunch of sociopaths either way, or tell them and probably lose some support.
>>
>>308359
it's ok i hope you don't intend on having a permanent crew.
Here's how i see the mission breakdown.
>send everything into space
>have cryostasised people in a close sheel onlt to be opened once they reach the new planet.
>Main crew 1 man the ship to a planet while earth get's Kaboomed
>Main crew 1 get ressources from a moon of jupiter to make sure we don't die.
>During a drug injection pre-cryostasis of crew 1 insert poison in all of the mentally unstable crew.
>Outtheairlockthebodiesgoes.jpeg
>Main crew 2 man the ship to the planet, if it's mars they build a station once they're there and bury the nuclear generator.
>if they travelled too far and start to get unstable to social effect such as the behavioral sink they'll dig graves for themselves too.
>Wake up cryostasis crew.
>"What do you mean there was people manning the ship? No No it's all AI controlled :^)"
Then OUROBOROS can handle how the colony manage itself.
Anyhow crew selection will likely reduce risks like mental instability, also a fuckton of drugs might solve the issue as well.
>>
>>308396
Cryostasis has an 89% fatality rate.
Why would we put the crew into cryostasis?
>>
>>308437
because it's literally one our projects and it would reduce food comsuption which i assume is important if we're not on a planet like mars where we can grow potatoes.
>>
>>308396
Thing is though;

1) We are the crew and the system for extending our life for the duration of the journey? Prototype nano-bots (we know they work,just not how long) that maintain our bodies thus they won't agree to going into stasis.

2) We'd lack a way to objectively tell who was insane now, seeing as all of us might be.

3) Cryo kill 89% of all who use it, for every 100 people we will get roughly 11 at best, going by law of averages. We could get luck and they all live, we could get unlucky and lose and additional 1% or 2.

Problem is that we have a time constraint on this, If we had enough time we could lower the danger of all these systems, prepare more ships and even look for a good colony site but we can't.
>>
>>308465
>1) We are the crew and the system for extending our life for the duration of the journey? Prototype nano-bots (we know they work,just not how long) that maintain our bodies thus they won't agree to going into stasis.
Do they know that the stasis as a 89% kill rate?
No, therefore they'll go in if we ask them to.
Also if it has a 89% kill rate we either takes lots of people and hope they survive or replace the stasis with food and face social issues.
>2) We'd lack a way to objectively tell who was insane now, seeing as all of us might be.
Monitore hormonal activity often, look out for abnormal reactions.
I'm sure a computer can tell you're going insane if you laugh 200% time more then before and develop a german accent.
>Problem is that we have a time constraint on this, If we had enough time we could lower the danger of all these systems, prepare more ships and even look for a good colony site but we can't.
here's why i think we should reduce over problems.
Let's say that we strip down some radiation shielding of the ship and component that aren't needed for a travel to a planet with ressources.
We would gain a fuck load of time.
Instead of building a rocket with a fuckton of supplies we'd have the ship manufacturate supplies and some infrastructures in space.
Leaving us much more ressources to allocate to research on important topics.
Planning to kill people will be needed though and isolation of the crew either through permanent sleep or coma might be a solution if we refuse cryostasis.
>>
>>308465
>Cryo kill 89% of all who use it
A detail from the article was that the 89% was from a 2-year trial.
We've got no way to know if the fatality rate goes up with time in stasis, at least not without talking with the researchers in charge of that sub-project.
If it does, and we have to go to an exoplanet, then cryostasis is just as bad, if not worse than the Nano-Longevity Project.
>>
>>308514
Coma sleep is a mcuh better alternative i suppose.
It doesn't stop aging but if the Nano-longevity project work we won't need it.
Also even the Nano-longevity won't get us to an exoplanet we'd have to use gene-printing as well.
Unless it's a 1 year mission with a simple earth>jupiter and moons>mars trip, we aren't going to use cryostasis.
>>
>>308505
See as to your points;

1) Quite a few of them would be aware of the risks of the cryosystem, at least in the ruling council of which we are part. Who i'd point out would probably have at least one or two objections to this from some of them.

Also of course we are taking many people, we will need genetic diversity. I am merely stating the problems with all the usable systems.

2) I'd point out that when I get angry I develop a thick Scottish accent, by your computers logic I'd be going insane.

Also how is the ship going to draw a "healthy" baseline for behaviour, the only time it'll be exposed to us is when we will be on board, after seeing most of humanity die, our home get destroyed, etc. We won't be laughing then so the base line will be unnaturally low meaning if we do recover then we will get killed by a flawed computer system.

You are right though, we do need to reduce over all problems.
>>
>>308549
>we will need genetic diversity
Gene-printing reduce this need greatly and make sure the payload cost will stay low.
>Also how is the ship going to draw a "healthy" baseline for behaviour, the only time it'll be exposed to us is when we will be on board
we will bring data from before we were onboard i assume nobody in the crew will be against frequent health check up and telemetrci implants.
Also don't worry we can have a whole fucking team of psychiatrists and programmers work together.
I'm sure they'd manage to define with at least a 95% accuracy rate wether we are going mad or not simply by studying our psycology pre-lauch and then having the computer do it after launch.
>>
>>308575
All of this is a matter for greater discussion but what we can agree on is this; gene printing is better than cryo if we want to take everyone or if everyone we want to take must survive.

We can deal with the fallout of it later, if we get that far.
>>
>>308610
There's no fallout to gene printing.
just print multiple and test which one give the closest answer to personality and knowledge tests.
kill thoses who don't perform well enough and reprint more if needed.
The only problem is it would be hard to do so on the ship unlike in the colony so we would still be facing dangerous odds on the ships at some degree.
>>
>>308621
So it is settled, we will gene print our way to victory though i'd say that depending on how many people each ship can fit with cryo we might not need the better survival odds.
>>
>>308806
there is no problem to gene-printing once we get to the new planet.
Cryostasis is only needed if Prototype nanobots fail and we need to live longer.
I'd say we should focus mainly on gene printing by finding a way to print somebody from non biological material or artificially synthetised biological material.
Then test what formula/people work best by making mass trials with personality and aptitude tests.
Thousands will die during these tests but their lives are worthless compared to the survival of mankind.
Meanwhile radiation interaction with anobots should be tested, we will suffer from a lot of radiation once in space and it's likely to temper with the nanobots.
Regarding ORION, if it is nuclear-powered we should find a way to scavenge the nuclear reactor for the station once we are done with it.
Maybe strap parachutes to it or haul it in a space plane into the colony then bury in and use it for energy?
OXIDE project would then be able to use more energy than if we only used solar panels.
Also hydroponics my need us to haul some plants either live or gene-printed.
We might want to keep some animals DNA around too.
Who knows maybe we'll figure out a way to geneprint meat or terraform.
>>
>>308859
There is also the problem that any stored bio-goop for the gene-printing might get damaged.

Also in regards to the ORION, going by the name it is a nuclear-pellet blastwave-based propulsion system using a drive plate.
>>
>>308880
I doubt it's the actual ORION project from the 60s.
fucking using nuke propulsion is mad and so many things could go wrong like a rogue state lauching a nuclear warhead into our ships warhead, with that kind of payload there's no way we'd be able to maneouvre out of it's reach.
It's much more likely that we'll be using something like Nuclear Electric propulsion, i would also allow much more manoeuvrability and almost infinite deltaV provided we fill up on argon or some other gas at some planet, i'm sure there's a good source of it somewhere in our solar system.
>>
>>309059
That is true but the simple fact is, when you give no fucks about the planet you are leaving the 60's ORION engine makes a good first stage. Good delta V and extremely high power.

Though you are right, it makes no sense for it to be our long term propulsion, seeing as they don't know what planet, or system, we will stop at.
>>
>>309096
The main problem with having this as first stage is that it might "blow our cover" *wink*.
also it's highly likely that it would fuck up our on board electronics because of the EMP.
>>
>>309104
The entire vehicle is made of metal, it'd act like a EMP shield like a Faraday cage.
>>
>>309110
welp if you say so, i'm no engineer really.
Though i'm pretty sure it could fuck up our cover if we had a fuck ton of nukes.
A good cover up for it would be straigh up saying we intend on changing the course of the planet before impact to give us more time by making it enter an instable orbit.
People would still understand why their taxed to shit but wouldn't riot then.
>>
Welcome back questers.

What would you like to do next?
>>
>>309162
Resume the quest.
I think
won 2 to 1
>>
>>309162
I wanted the Intel briefing, but the other two wanted to go with technological components.
I still disagree with that choice.
It's going to look bad for us if we make any choices and find out that there's problems with them when we go to the Intel briefing.

I'm sure that Generals Shiro and Lancaster, as well as our XO, will immediately point out any mistakes or foolish decisions we make.
I very much hope they do, since this project is too important to risk.
>>
>>309189
I understand your concern, but taking into knowledge our ressources won't help us to set technological goals, at this point the ressources we have at our disposal are likely very high.
Plus if we "accept " rich space "tourists" we might get more.
So it's obvious that the population is still pretty unaware and we have almost no limit on ressources.
We don't need to access the situation yet but to set goals first, we're not facing an imminent crisis but we're facing a too high goal count, we need to set the focus on some project instead of keeping up the research on others we won't use.
>>
>>309204
It's not knowledge of our resources, it's knowledge of the terrorist attacks and what disruptions to our logistics and research facilities may occur or have already occurred.

The population is pretty aware that there's going to be major impacts like the Luna Colony Disaster and May Day, just not that the planet is going to be hit by another planet.
And we won't be able to hide it after 5 weeks.
>>
>>309212
we have too leave 1 week before for sure if we don't want to get nuked mid-air, knowing we have 2 months that leave us 2 weeks of chaos to manage.
Here's the idea:
>Pretend we'll leave earth with cryostasis, make it seem real to the population make health checks and give them injections (if you can make thoses useful too would be nice.)
>If nuclear material is found say you're planning on buying time by making the collision happen later by moving the planet's course.
Should get rid of 85% of the Panic, people will want to believe they can be saved.
>>
It seems like everyone wants to discuss technology? Can I get a hard yes or no on the decision?
>>
>>309275
>It seems like everyone wants to discuss technology?
No, not everyone.
The vote hasn't changed since the last time you asked.
2 Yes
1 No
>>
>>309277
it is best to go with the majority anyway we'll get to talk about the current situation afterward i believe.
>>
XO Smith steps forward and tables several documents.

"Sirs, If you will please access the technical updates from projects OXIDE, ORION and ICEMAN, I believe it would be best to decide now on what technologies we will be reliant upon for the legacy."

"ORION reports that the drive plate technologies for stage one launch have been honed to maximum effect in the testing bays. Apart from an unfortunate pre-launch accident that took the life of some of our key personnel, we have been able to create composite drive plates that allow us to utilise propulsion systems initially proposed in the 19th century, but never tested for proper application. Obviously with the imminent destruction of the earth, radiant pollution isn't really a concern. The Xenon project also reports limited success with the adjusted space propulsion systems, and we have shipped several prototype thrusters to completed legacy sites. We believe that these will be complimentary to our initial journey for course correction."

"Lastly, the prototype Einstein drive has reported successful tests in-simulation. However, the science is still considered far too unreliable by most of our scholars."

Smith looks to General Penn.

"I believe you had an update on the cryo-stasis project General?"

General Penn clears his throat.

"As you know our cryo-stasis program has had a high level of fatalities throughout its testing program, however it was recently proposed that we introduce elements of the Nano-longevity project to the cryo-stasis testing to regulate cellular decay. I'm pleased to announce that we've improved the survivability of the technology by 20% when nanocytes are introduced to the subject systems. However, mass production of these nano machines is impractical in the extreme. We would need at minimum 6 months to reach required targets."

Penn clears his throat again.

"Apart from this, nothing else to report from the other projects, we've been focusing on production of the component technologies. The Gene Printing technologies, including the bio vats has reached 70% of optimal housing, with a projected 15% additional completion by week 6. Our cryo facilities are ready to go."
>>
>>309310

Smith resumes.

"Thankyou General. Chancellors, I am pleased to report however that project OXIDE has exceeded expectations with a fully self sustaining biosystem for en-crew of 25 tested over a six month period. The only negative outcomes from the testing was a reduced psychological resilience from test subjects due to various factors but effectively summed up as 'a lack of choices'. The systems are stable, but do not allow for any form of luxury."

Chancellor Mohammed speaks up. "Have we implemented systems to allow tracking of Mecca so they may pray?"

Smith pauses. "...This hasn't been a project concern sir, but we can certainly consider it."

>?
>>
>>309310
Can we gene-print cryogenized people?
that's also an important question.
What the compatibility status between thoses technologies.
Also can coma sleep be archieved with people having nanobots?
Also will we get a nuclear reactor into space for the Xenon engine or will we need solar panels?
>>309321
>Chancellor Mohammed
Please tell me he won't be onboard humanities last hope with a nuclear reactor.
>The only negative outcomes from the testing was a reduced psychological resilience from test subjects due to various factors but effectively summed up as 'a lack of choices'.
Could be worse, lack of choice is better than murderous choices.

here's what i propose.
We ask them about compatibility between nanos and geneprinting.
Ask them if we can copy gene paste.
Ask what will be the onboard power source and if we can get enough medicine to put people into coma so that we won't have to push the OXIDE system too much during trip.
Also mention that a trip to another planet to gather needed ressources for the colony might be useful.
And ask where the ship is going too.
>>
>>309321
Is the Einstein drive ready to be tested in space?
Just because the science is unreliable doesn't mean it can't be tested.

Has Project ICEMAN attempted introducing the nanites into the subject brain for a higher-fidelity scan for the Gene Printing process, in order to get a more accurate personality copy?
At minimum, it would be a way to save the crew if we need to have consumables last longer than projected.

Can the Gene Printing equipment be completed enroute to our destination, or will we have to accept that we will not reach completion by the deadline?

Has the science division been able to provide a list of candidate colony sites?
>>
Sorry everyone. I have to cover an emergency shift. I'm off for the rest of today. I'll check in periodically over the next few days.
>>
>>309333
Fucking trips man.
>>
>>309335
Come back "soon"
So we have religious terrorists, a rioting public, deserters, and maybe rogue states on the outside.
Inside; one project member way behind schedule, and everyone else with 40 to 45% left to go till completion, (with NA and Europe in the green) a few fuzzy propulsion systems, and lastly our life extention solutions that boil down to a near death sentence, cloning crazies, and a leap of faith.
All to be delt within in 7 weeks

Am I missing any thing?
>>
>>309394
Yeah, that about sums it up. I would argue though we don't have a problem in regards to propulsion, assuming we want to go to mars or somewhere else in system.

However I would also state that the gene-cloning is, not only our best bet, quite possibly the most reliable. Considering the fact that, besides an imperfect personality (which could be anything from suddenly not liking cheese to being a sociopath) they all survive without any problems. It does however take a long time to remake the people bodies so the crew will either want to start manufacturing key-personnel before planet fall or will be alone for a few months more.
>>
So, has been explicitly stated as to where we're going yet?

If it's Mars, I don't see many problems - if it's inter solar, then we may have some...

What is the current extent of humanity's orbital infrastructure? I assume that there are some stations and ships up there already if we had a major lunar colony.

If there are, we should start a side project devoted to setting up minor colonies in the Sol system for those who would otherwise be left behind.
>>
>>312891
To my understanding we have orbital construction sites but our problem is that we need to use more expensive, traditional methods of getting off the ground like chemical or nuclear rocketry. This limits the number of people we can get off this cursed rock quite heavily unless we cheat.

What if we create a station orbiting mars that would act as a brain-data storage facility. Considering we have the tech, we could use this to convince the people they won't be left behind. As we can remake them on a later date.

Also as to establishing exo-Terran colonies preemptively? We have about five weeks, so anything we send up just slows down the legacy sites and panics the people.
>>
>>313203
>Also as to establishing exo-Terran colonies preemptively?
I do agree in regards to it slowing down the Legacy project.

It was more of a statement that if there are ships already available, let's use them now - rather than let them go to waste.

Provide the bare minimum of resources and let groups strike it out on their own. It might even be a good way of ridding the earth of troublesome 'independance' fanatics. '
>>
>>314248
There are no independent factions like that, the only others being fatalistic, masochistic, nihilistic cunts who don't want us getting off this rock.

Everyone else besides them is either with the project, knowingly or otherwise, or neutral thanks to a lack of resources to contribute but no ill will towards us.
Thread posts: 169
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.