[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Space Marine Applicant Quest #3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 200
Thread images: 11

File: Astartesorgans.jpg (473KB, 986x869px) Image search: [Google]
Astartesorgans.jpg
473KB, 986x869px
In the past few months, everything you know has changed. You were once just another child trudging through the rubble of the Carcerum Underhive, but now you've become a part of something greater than yourself. You and your friends had slain a huge creature, an Allisan Lion, and in the process, proved your worth to become one of the Horned Lions, a Chapter of Space Marines. You and your friends had become initiates – except for Sen, who reacted poorly to the gene-seed implantation process, and become... sick. At Apothecary Fatho's prompting, you euthanized Sen, and learned the first lession that the Horned Lions have to give: a clean death in the Emperor's service is the finest reward. You, however, have reacted magnificently to the gene-seed process, putting on a foot and half of height and over 50 kilograms in raw muscle in only a few months.

Recently your trainer, Sergeant Karlat, whose grinning face you had learned to dread, had trained you to what felt like the brink of death, even as he taught you the basics of literacy, navigation, the Imperium and the Astartes as a whole. You've learned that the Horned Lions are descended from another great warrior, Lion'El Jonson, who led an ancient and venerable force known as the Dark Angels. Finally, eight hours ago, you were dropped off alone in the blasted wastes of Carcerum to complete the Hunt – a mysterious kind of pilgrimage that it seems like all Initiates must survive. You had found three plinths, steel pillars, all of which had pointed the way to the next, and survived these initial challenges, although not without some struggle.

Now though, you stand in the mouth of a black cave, tightly gripping a floating skull armed with some kind of pistol. Luckily for you, the skull was facing the wrong direction when you grabbed it, and so the skull can't actually shoot at you. You've decided that you'll talk the skull down instead of smashing it outright, although that might be difficult considering the unending stream of curses the skull is currently emitting.

>What do you tell the skull, /qst/? Good write-ins will be rewarded. Some options from last thread below.

>By the Emperor's Grace I have hit out maneuvered and outflanked you. I would not damage a holy and loyal machine spirit any more than I already have. Yield, I will destroy you if I must, though I will find no joy in it.
>"I am an Initiate of the Horned Lions! Sent to pass these tests and prove my worth to become a Battle Brother in service of the Emperor! Iif you serve the Emperor, you will aid me in this test – and if you will not, then you are a traitor to His will and will be destroyed!
>write-in
>>
>>295685
PRAISE BE TO THE EMPEROR!!!!!
>>
>>295685
HAIL MALGAR!
>>
>>295685

>"I am an Initiate of the Horned Lions!
>>
>>295685
>>"I am an Initiate of the Horned Lions! Sent to pass these tests and prove my worth to become a Battle Brother in service of the Emperor! Iif you serve the Emperor, you will aid me in this test – and if you will not, then you are a traitor to His will and will be destroyed!
>>
>>295710
>>295712

Alright, gimme a 1d100, best of three for your Charm attempt
>>
Rolled 77 (1d100)

>>295720
Lets JAM!
>>
Rolled 77 (1d100)

>>295720
>>
Rolled 87 (1d100)

>>295726
>>295727

Rolling for the third and hopefully I do better, heh
>>
Rolled 89 (1d100)

>>295720
if 77, we become a primarch.
>>
>>295726
>>295727
>>295731

Welp, looks like Finial is a shit negotiator.

>writing
>>
>>295740

>6 degrees of failure
>congratulations, you have momentarily enraged the skull! Wew

You think briefly for a moment before announcing fearlessly in a loud and clear tone, "I am an Initiate of the Horned Lions! I have been sent to pass these tests and prove my worth to become a Battle Brother in service to the Emperor! If you serve the Emperor, you will aid me in this test – and if you will not, then you are a traitor to the Emperor!"

The skull seems to ponder this momentarily, invisible machinery whirring and clicking within the floating device. The skull replies loudly, "NO RESPECT FOR THE TRIALS, I SEE. I DEEM YOU UNWORTHY!" And the skull begins to wrench itself in your grip with incredible force – you're not sure if you hold on forever. A snarl ripples over your face as the skull vibrates and cackles wildly in an attempt to bring its bolt pistol to bear on you.

>tsk tsk, /qst/, what now?

>hold on and try another charm attempt at the risk of losing your grip
>smash this mouthy weasel once and for all
>write-in
>>
>>295775
>>smash this mouthy weasel once and for all
>>
>>295775
>>smash this mouthy weasel once and for all
>>
>>295775
Smash him, but make sure to keep the pistol safe.
>>
>>295775
>smash this mouthy weasel once and for all
>>
>>295778
>>295784
>>295787
>>295791

>no roll necessary for this, you're 225 pounds of ceramite-infused supersoldier.

You screw up your face in rage at the skull's refusal of your leadership. With the skull wrenching wildly in your grasp, you decide it's better to destroy the thing once and for all, rather than risk it getting loose.

"Listen well, skull - I offered you a chance to serve, and you denied me. You chose your fate!" Lunging against the rockface, you swing the skull repeatedly against the stone as the construct buzzes and sparks in malfunction. Collecting the shards, you find that the bolt pistol is still in surprisingly good shape. Briefly drawing it into your hands, you notice that there's even a small beam of light that seems to show you where to shoot. A handy weapon indeed. As you stare out of the cave in aim, you notice the plinth outside the cave begin to rise.

Hurrying, you step over the fragments of the skull and rush out to the risen plinth - but instead of a map, you instead find an ominous message inscribed on the steel, below a portrait of a robed Initiate entering the cave. The message reads:

DO NOT TARRY LONG IN THE DARKNESS

>cont
>>
File: caves2.jpg (88KB, 1024x521px) Image search: [Google]
caves2.jpg
88KB, 1024x521px
>>295817

>inventory updated: you have the chronometer and the bolt pistol with laser sight.

Entering the caves, you're immediately struck by both the cooler air, and the multiple shadowed paths trailing off into the dark. You briefly check the chronometer, and find that it reads that nine hours have passed - 91 hours remain, on the second counter. Flipping the chronometer briefly, you again read the raised lettering - GL. Who was he? Perhaps he was one of the warriors you saw inscribed on the steel plinths early. Sadly, there seems to be no obvious route forward - you rest a few minutes, in the cool air. Testing your weight against the rocky ground, you do feel faster than you ever have before - your weight shifting quickly from foot to foot. Even your hands seem faster in a way you can't easily describe. The dodging you used earlier to evade the skull would have been totally impossible only a few weeks earlier you decide. The gene-seed never rests in its betterment of you, it seems.

But now - another mystery. Which way to proceed?

>higher path
>lower path
>take another minute or two to investigate
>write-in option, as always

>also, please roll 1d10, best of three for your gene-seed boost to Agility
>>
Rolled 8 (1d10)

>>295846
>take another minute or two to investigate
>>
>>295855
+1
>>
>>295860
Roll some dice and link it to the OP post homie.
>>
Rolled 2 (1d10)

>>295846
Shit sorry senpai.
>>
Rolled 9 (1d10)

>>295855
>>295869

Rolling another 1d10 for Agi boost.
>>
>>295882
PRAISE FOR THE EMPRAH!
>>
>>295855
>>295860

Choosing poorly here could spell the death of you - you kneel briefly, and try to get a better sense of your surroundings, before moving on. Even in the coolness of the caverns, you realize that you've been marching through a hot desert for the prior eight hours - your throat is noticeably parched. You'll have to find water soon, if you expect to continue on the other side.

These thoughts moving through your mind are a distraction. You exhale slowly, and inhale, testing the air.

>give me a d100, best of three for an awareness check. A good roll will help for later.
>>
Rolled 7 (1d100)

>>295900
>>
Rolled 75 (1d100)

>>295900
>>
>>295905

>3 degrees of success

You breath deeply once more, taking in the scents of the rocky earth, and the stale air from the caves. Letting the air sit on your tongue, and with your eyes closed, you seem to pick out something behind the scent of earthen stone. An acrid scent, like discharge from old sparking glowbulbs in the Underhive - but mixed with the scent of bile, or maybe scent. Something living made this smell, you're confident of it.

Opening your eyes again, you take in the cave with a fresh mind - suddenly, the rough edges of the cave tunnels seem less random - fresher in some places than the others. You take a few steps forward to examine the upper cave, and the edges of the cave are fresher - scraped out with great spades of some kind. And the acrid scent is stronger here, as well. Whatever is in these caves with you, you'll find it in the upper tunnels.

>Well, what do you do with this info?

>go upper tunnels anyways, a true warrior conquers his enemies
>go lower tunnels instead, the Emperor is served best by soldiers, not martyrs
>leave the tunnel
>write-in
>>
>>295905
You da best hommie.
>>
>>295954
>>go upper tunnels anyways, a true warrior conquers his enemies
>>
>>295954
>>go upper tunnels anyways, a true warrior conquers his enemies

Time to prove our worth I suppose. At least we have forewarning of whats to come. If we go to the lower cave we might be considered a coward.
>>
>>295963
>>295971

Pretty bold with only one fate point.

Writing.
>>
>>295978

Bolt pistol at ready, you move forwards into the dark.

You stay alert and although you listen intently, you don't hear anything unusual, only the steady dripping of water from the cave ceiling. The acrid scent grows sharper over time, but you march fearlessly forwards. Your faith in the Emperor is stronger than any armor than you can wear.

The tunnel stays close to the surface - you never feel the change in pressure that you instinctively recognize as being deeper underground. All the while, you eye the markings on the wall with a moderate level of anxiety. You feel like you're making slow progress overall, as the tunnel seems to be fairly straight, but the footing can be unsteady - the rocky floor underfoot is wet.

>roll me a d100 /qst/
>>
Rolled 99 (1d100)

>>296000
May the Emperor protect us!
>>
Rolled 39 (1d100)

>>296000
No whammys
>>
Rolled 22 (1d100)

>>296000
praise allah
>>
>>296005
Fuck.
>>
File: sweating.jpg (99KB, 425x359px) Image search: [Google]
sweating.jpg
99KB, 425x359px
>>296005

>99
>99
>99
>99
>>
>>296011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5qbcRAXVk
>>
>>296011

oops, I need a few minutes here guys.

the suspend will build for about 20 minutes
>>
>>296025
yesir!
>>
>>296025
Suspense building music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnKeN9zIkoE
>>
File: youshouldberunningalready.png (494KB, 377x555px) Image search: [Google]
youshouldberunningalready.png
494KB, 377x555px
>>296025

Trudging through the tunnel becomes routine as your anxiety seems to mellow out somewhat - the dripping in the cave becomes a reassuring ambiance to your slow progress through the dark.

The inscription on the third plinth stays on your mind: DO NOT TARRY LONG IN THE DARK. But you see no other option, and you suspect that your path is the most direct. Trudging through the tunnel, you are reminded of the rusted vents and darker maintenance gangways that you used to run, climb and crawl through only a few years ago. The dark may frighten others, but it's always been a friend to you.

You reach out with one hand to stabilize against the cave wall, as you step over a jagged rock, and you let your hand trail against the cold stone for several meters. Cold and wet, it's somehow ple-

The cave wall shifts and moves around you, silently and rapidly, unfurling.

"Fuck," you whimper in the dark.
>>
>>296158

Eye to eye with this monstrosity, you appear to have surprised it as much as it has surprised you.

There is a brief moment of stillness to consider your actions.

>shoot wildly with the bolt pistol at close range
>RUN
>RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
>write-in
>>
>>296166
>>shoot wildly with the bolt pistol at close range
>>
>>296166
>>RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
>shoot wildly with the bolt pistol at close range
" Tactical fire retreat." - Not a coward.
>>
>>296171
>>296176

give me an attack roll, gents, d100, best of three
>>
Rolled 35 (1d100)

>>296191
>>
Rolled 12 (1d100)

>>296191
'You are one ugly motherfucker.'
>>
Rolled 88 (1d100)

>>296201
Nice

>>296191
Last roll here.
>>
>>296193
>>296201
>>296203

>1 degree of success, 8 and 6 for dam/tearing
>you have bloodied the beast

You scramble backwards over broken stone even as your pistol seems to rise up of its own accord - you fire off a pair of shots. The first bursts directly over the creature's shoulder - carapace? and transforms the hard shell into a ruined crater. The second shot richochets harmlessly over the creature's shell and thuds into the damp stone behind you.

The explosions of the shots seem to echo endlessly further into the tunnel, but the creature's scream - half surprise and half fury, seems to last a lifetime. Worse, you can hear other screeches and calls from deeper within the caves - this thing has friends, and they know you are here. All these thoughts seem to flash through your mind - and then the creature charges. Rushing towards you, the crab-like monster flails out with its arms - but its size is more of a hindrance than a help in this tunnel, and when it lashes out with its claws, you realize that your first shot has ruined the mobility in the right claw. You easily dodge the awkward slash at you. Another roar erupts in the darkness - but this one comes from behind you. The other creatures are closing in.

>what do?

>keep firing! keep firing, dammit!
>RUN!
>write-in
>>
>>296282
>>RUN!
>>
>>296282
>>keep firing! keep firing, dammit!
>>
>Horned lions

WHY NOT A FUCKING ANGRY MARINE YOU COCKSUCKING QUEER?!
>>
File: cupofRAEG.png (13KB, 217x232px) Image search: [Google]
cupofRAEG.png
13KB, 217x232px
>>296295

>mfw he thinks the angriest warriors of the Imperium won't show up eventually
>>
>>296282
>RUN!
There is no honor in a meaningless defeat!
>>
>>296282

>keep firing! keep firing, dammit!
>RUN!
>>
>>296302
WE MUST LIVE TO WITNESS THE ANGER!!!
>>
File: caves.jpg (483KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
caves.jpg
483KB, 1600x900px
>>296283
>>296290
>>296305

>Run it is!

Whatever your odds against this single abomination, you don't think you'd last long against more of these monsters. You stash your pistol into your hands, and make a break for it.

At once, you flash ahead through the tunnels, your old experience in the Underhive coming in handy, as you leap across broken rock and dodge forwards through narrow junctions. The beast behind you is following desperately, but luck is on your side - it's too large to truly dance around the outcroppings in the way that you can, and so within a matter of moments, you're ten yards ahead - by half a minute, you're entirely ahead of the beast, although its bellows and roars push you forward all the same.

Scrambling under a low ceiling, you suddenly first yourself in a large cavern, lit gloomily by iridescent growths along the walls, and in the center of the cavern, a single shaft of light, from a tiny hole to the outside world. A pale collection of yellow stones dots the area, and as you jog forwards, you examine one more closely. A shadowy shape is within - a tiny form, with claws. With dread, you understand. This is not a cavern. This is the egg chamber.

Raising your eyes and dashing forwards, you see it! The plinth rests upon a kind of central hill in the distance, directly within the shaft of light. It glitters alluringly...even as you see shapes in the very far distance approaching - at least three. Unnervingly, the path behind you has gone quiet.

>you are being approached by multiple hostiles, and the fatigue of your Hunt is starting to set in, what's next?

>dash for plinth at high speed
>find a hiding spot and wait for a good opportunity
>find another exit to lose your pursuers
>write-in
>>
>>296353
>dash for plinth at high speed
>>
>>296353
>>dash for plinth at high speed
>>
>>296353
>>dash for plinth at high speed
>>
Rolled 93, 95, 65, 48, 78, 75, 48 = 502 (7d100)

>>296358
>>296368
>>296375

Alright, give me a 1d100, best of three, lads.

I'm rolling for other things, don't mind me.
>>
Rolled 84 (1d100)

>>296379
>>
Rolled 44 (1d100)

>>296379
FOR GLORY!
>>
Rolled 81 (1d100)

>>296385
>>296386

rolling for one more.
>>
Rolled 74 (1d100)

>>296379
>>
>>296386

>this is going to be tough.

You burst into a sprint with everything you have. Leaping from rock to rock, you skip over the ground with increasing momentum. The bellows of the crab things increase in volume, and to your horror, you watch one of the beast's burst out of the very ground about 15 yards ahead, smashing through eggs and spilling a vile fluid onto the cave floor.

Quickly changing direction, you loop to the left to avoid the charging beast, and by a narrow margin, escape melee range, but even as you do so, you spot three smaller creatures closing in rapidly on your location. You're fortunate though - these creatures are ambushers and you're simply faster than they are in a flat sprint. At any rate, you reach the base of the hill, and find that instead of smooth stone, you're going to have to ascend a jagged and wet rock face, with snarling animals behind you. You don't dare a glance behind you.

You have maybe 10 seconds to start climbing - slipping here would likely mean your evisceration.

>roll a d100 for your ascent, battle brothers
>>
Rolled 80 (1d100)

>>296424
>>
Rolled 45 (1d100)

>>296424
NINJA WARRIOR!
>>
Rolled 31, 79, 17 = 127 (3d100)

>>296424

Rolling for my purposes as well.
>>
>>296427
Jesus christ I'm rolling poorly. The Emperor has abandoned me!
>>
Rolled 45 (1d100)

>>296424
>>
>>296434
Eeek.
>>
Rolled 33 (1d100)

>>296424
>>
>>296429
>>296440
>>296434

>1 degree of failure
>uh oh

You scramble forwards onto the rock face, but to your growing horror, the rock is simply too wet to get a firm grasp with only one hand, the other holding your bolt pistol. You manage to scramble upwards only about a meter before you dare a glance behind you, and see that two of the crab beasts are already charging at your location. You have only a second to decide your course of action.

>climb, for the Emperor's sake!
>full auto burst from the pistol at one or both crabs
>sprint along the side of the rock face and try to dodge their blows
>write-in
>>
>>296484
>full auto burst from the pistol at one or both crabs

WE are a son of the Emperor running and gunning is something even the lowest wretch can do.
>>
>>296484
>>sprint along the side of the rock face and try to dodge their blows
>>
>>296484
>>climb, for the Emperor's sake!
>>
>>296484
>>
>>296507
>>296510

>climb wins narrowly

Roll me another 1d100, best of three.
>>
>>296484
>>
Rolled 82 (1d100)

>>296519
Come on now Holy Emperor, praise these fucking dice.
>>
Rolled 90 (1d100)

>>296519
Emperor Guide our Assent
>>
Rolled 40 (1d100)

>>296519
GET IT MARINE!!!!
>>
>>296525
Ok I'm done rolling.

Fuck the Emperor, praise be to Chaos
>>
Rolled 48 (1d100)

>>296519
>>
I swear we are cursed, never do I roll numbers this high in quests where you need them. It's either punishment for Kek granting us this roll a while back or a test, either way faith will carry us forward.
>>
>>296525
>>296527
>>296530

>40 is one degree of failure since our Str is 36

I'd like to remind you all that burning a fate point will lead to an automatic success of any roll, or alternately can be spent to heal 1d10 wounds.
>>
>>296552
B-burn the fate senpai. Just do it quick we need to gtfo this cliff.
>>
>>296552
guess we gotta take the hit...save the last FP for a harder DC, hurts but I dont think we got a choice here.
>>
>>296552
burn it
>>
>>296567
>>296574
>>296575

Wait, I should be more clear - this is your last remaining Fate Point, so you may want to use this for healing damage or another roll instead. You won't get another one for the duration of the Hunt unless you do something REALLY awesome.

do you still want to burn? y/n
>>
>>296592
No

Lets just tank this shit and move on.
>>
>>296592
Nah lets not then. TANK TANK
>>
Also KEK have mercy on this aspiring marine!
>>
>>296592
Spend do not want to die.
>>
>>296612
That heretical worship is what got us here in the first place.
>>
>>296597
>>296602

>sorry for the confusion

You leap up the rock face in terror, but you simply can't find a good handhold to pull yourself up - your hands scratch at the stone with an awful tearing sensation, just as you catch whirling claw over your right shoulder. Flinching instinctively, the claw slams into the rock beside you, causing jagged cracks to appear through the rock face.

Glancing the other direction, you see the other crab rearing back for a direct hit, the claw already darting towards your legs.

>Finial has a chance to dodge
>Roll d100 and pray this crab fucker doesn't take his legs off.
>>
Rolled 20 (1d100)

>>296635
>>
Rolled 48 (1d100)

>>296635
>>Roll d100 and pray this crab fucker doesn't take his legs off.
Balls to the wall
>>
Rolled 27 (1d100)

>>296635
>>
>>296639
You feeling.. Chaos-ish?
>>
>>296665
Well the Emperor was no help, we have to turn somewhere.
>>
>>296639
We're watching you brother...you say such blasphemies things and now these rolls. The Chaplin wants a word.
>>
>>296675
Oh uhh... praise be to the uh.. Emperors guiding light.. yeah
>>
Rolled 38 (1d100)

>>296685
Missed my roll there.
>>
>>296685
THE CORPSE GOD MERELY PLAYS WITH YOU MORTAL. COME HITHER TO... THE JUST AS PLANNED SIDE.
>>
>>296639
>>296642
>>296653

>Finial reacts like lightning, 3 DoS here
>so quick to turn to KeK, battle brothers. shameful, indeed

You don't hesitate to leap into air, higher than you thought possible. The crab's arm slams into the rock below you, so deeply that that it can't easily pull it out. Your booted feet land on the claw and without pausing to consider your luck, you leap off the claw, finally grabbing a hold of a narrow handhold and pulling yourself forward, just out of range of the two monsters, and about 4 meters off the ground. You don't slow down, and fortunately the remainder of your escape is significantly easier - the angle of the hill begins to flatten out as you ascend. Your feet seem to find the nooks and crannies - apparently they were all bunched up at the top.

In a matter of seconds, you reach the plinth - the shining beacon. The shaft of light is glowing around it, and with the light, you can clearly make out the engraving, even as you sprint forwards. A warrior with wings of fire is roaring into the sky, wielding an axe of lightning, and the inscription reads simply: ASCEND WITH WINGS OF FIRE.

Jutting from the side of the plinth is a large bar or lever. Even as you approach, you see another crab beast crawling over the side of the hill. It will reach the plinth before you - choose your course of action!

>run and shoot at the crab
>sprint and dodge the crab's attacks
>write-in

If you're going to reach
>>
>>296702
>>run and shoot at the crab
>>
>>296702

>oops, ignore that last part under the options.
>>
>>296702
>Yell an imperial standard slur while running for dear emperor towards the lever.
>>
>>296713
*Faint QM laughter fading into the distance*
>>
>>296702
As good a time as any.
>>
>>296702
>>296721
this
>>
>>296702
>>
Gimme an attack roll, battle bros, 1d100 best of three
>>
Rolled 91 (1d100)

>>296738
'IM A LEAD FARMER MOTHER FUCKER!!!'
>>
>>296743
The harvest is wanting :(
>>
Rolled 92 (1d100)

>>296738
Guide my hand
>>
Rolled 84 (1d100)

>>296738
>>
Rolled 99 (1d100)

>>296738
>>
>>296748
>>296743
>>296749
>>296750

How does this quest roll such high numbers...i just dont understand, something is fucked up here.
>>
>>296711
>>296726
>>296736
You assholes want us to die don't you?
>>
>>296743
>>296748
>>296749
>>296750
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH we are so good at rolling high numbers.
>>
>>296756
Apparently its the Emperors will for us to perish.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP54ke-uM0A
>>
>>296754

>It's clear that Kek himself has made Finial's death a priority.
>please consider the implications of this.
>Kek HIMSELF has called for Finials' death

You raise your pistol, laser sight jittering wildly across the creature carapace, and screaming "THE EMPEROR DAMN YOU!" - and you stumble at the exact moment you pull the trigger, the pair of shots flying widely overhead. The pair of explosions echo loudly within the cavern - and a deeper rumble seems to vibrate through the stone of the egg chamber. You don't have time to consider the implications, as the crab beast has made every effort to cut you off before you reach the plinth itself - the metal lever seems to glow enticingly. The crab beast is still lumbering forward, but a dash to the metal level will be chancy at best.

>stand and shoot a full auto burst
>try to dodge around the crab and leap for the metal level
>retreat from your location and find another exit from the cave
>write-in
>>
>>296788
>>try to dodge around the crab and leap for the metal level
>>
>>296788
>>stand and shoot a full auto burst
NO RETREAT NO SURRENDER
>>
>>296788
>>try to dodge around the crab and leap for the metal level
We are leaving...I think the caves falling in. Or we woke up the big one
>>
>>296788
>try to dodge around the crab and leap for the metal level

Our agility is our best hope now, until we get proper training with the bolter
>>
Rolled 16 (1d100)

>>296791
>>296811
>>296814

Give me your dodge rolls, 1d100, best of three totoal anons

Rolling for the crab - this will be a directly opposed roll here.
>>
Rolled 57 (1d100)

>>296825
UNDER 16!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
Rolled 77 (1d100)

>>296825
rolling against FUCKING SIXTEEN, EMPEROR PRESERVE US
>>
Rolled 71 (1d100)

>>296825
The Emperor hasn't abandoned us, he is straight up trying to get us killed.

Praise Chaos!
>>
File: thisfuckeristoblame.png (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
thisfuckeristoblame.png
11KB, 225x225px
>>296825

I'm so sorry, anons.
>>
>>296825
ITS TIME TO FATE IT UP BOYS! WE IZ ORKZ NOW!
>>
>>296834

This anon is correct, you could burn a fate point here, but you could also attempt to tank the blow.

You do have 22 wounds after all.

burn fate to achieve flawless dodge? y/n
>>
Rolled 95, 16, 38 = 149 (3d100)

This thread is cuuuuuursed
TANK THAT SHIT!
>>
>>296838
Ah fuck, sure blow the damned fate point, fuck, fuck, fuck
>>
File: 745.jpg (79KB, 655x599px) Image search: [Google]
745.jpg
79KB, 655x599px
>>296841
>>296838
Dem crabz iz peding for a gud krumping.
>>
>>296844
Dont do it anon that lever unleashes 10 battle brothers with pillow cases full of D batteries. We need fate then!
>>
>>296841
>>296844

>tied, 1-1

Any other votes? This is a pretty fucking important vote.
>>
>>296860
Burn it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OHG7tHrNM
>>
>>296860
tank it
>>
>>296841
>>296844
>>296862
>>296871

>tied, 2-2

STOP PLAYING WITH MY HEART
>>
>>296878
FUCK IT FLIP FOR THE FUTURE QM!!!!
>>
>>296878
tank it, we are a (almost) space marine
>>
>>296878
Burn the fucking fate point, assholes.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d2)

>>296886
>>296900
>>296901

You fuckers have forced my hand.

1 - Burn Fate
2 - Tank the Hit
>>
>>296905
Sweet Christ wait till im right about
>>296851
>>
>>296905
Did everyone die? We angered the dice god too much this day...
>>
File: rocket launch.jpg (36KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
rocket launch.jpg
36KB, 900x600px
>>296905

You take three long strides just as time seems to dilate - as you leap forwards, you have time to appreciate the dust, floating in beam of light. They look like tiny stars, ebbing to and fro. And turning your head to the monster, currently batting its claw at you, you see how finely jointed its elbows are - how jagged and brutal its claws. Still rising from the power of your leap, you sail forwards, your boots gliding lightly over the heavy ceramic-like edge of the monster's claws. You seem to fall perfectly, just in range of the metal lever, so that as you descend, you latch onto the lever, pulling it forwards with a heavy clunk. Time seems to restore its frantic pace as several things happen immediately.

First, the monster sprawls outwards, tripping over a misplaced stone, clearly expecting to crush you under it's bladed arm.

Second, wide vents open across the steel pillar with loud clangs.

Third, a roaring noise feels the cavern, and you latch on tightly to the lever out of fear of what is to come - and with a massive yank, the pillar shoots upward, out of the ground. Below you streams a massive jet of fire and you rocket out of the darkness of the caves, just as the ceiling begins to collapse outright, massive openings falling away from the ceiling, and opening to a dark sky above. The speed of your escape dulls your senses and dizzies you, even as you pass over the open desert, dunes of sand in all directions in the night.

After another second of bone-rattling, skin-flaying flight, flaps emerge from the pillar, and the rocket aligns with the ridge of a massive sand dune, just skipping over the edge. You don't consciously let go, but it happens nonetheless and suddenly you're skipping over the ridge yourself, tumbling wildly through the soft sand.

>roll a 1d10+4 for tumbling damage
>>
>>296905
We dodge so hard that we tear a fabric in the reality and pull a moving Dodge Camry from Earth-1 circa 2005. The car is moving at max speed and crushes all crabs.
>>
Rolled 5 + 4 (1d10 + 4)

>>
Rolled 10 + 4 (1d10 + 4)

>>296963
Lower is better, I hope. Tuck that shoulder, marine.
>>
Rolled 6 + 4 (1d10 + 4)

>>296963
>>
Rolled 3 + 4 (1d10 + 4)

>>296963
For chaos.
>>
Rolled 10 + 4 (1d10 + 4)

>>296963
>>
>>296968
fuck.
>>
>>296972
>>296968
Hey look the curse remains
>>
>>296967

Using this roll, best in the first three.

>>296971

>roll for Chaos is lowest

Damn you Kek
>>
>>296983
The curse wont so bad!
>>
>>296967

>Finial takes 9 damage - 4 damage (his toughness bonus)
> 5 damage total, Finial is now Wounded.

Tumbling end over end as your body skips down the hill, you hear the distinct sounds of your ceramite-infused bones clacking against each other - but holding steady. By the time you roll to a stop at the base of the dune, you're intensely dizzy - you immediately vomit with your first breath, coughing out huge globs of sand and bile, and then vomit with your second breath, for good measure.

You lay there, for a few moments, to consider the blessed fortune of your success: the skin on your exposed limbs flayed raw from the sand, covered with your own vomit, and your eyes and mouth full to the brim with sand.

You're exhausted, and it is night on Carcerum.

After another few minutes, you feel ready to stand - battered and bleeding, but as far as you can tell, no serious broken bones or other wounds. Amazingly, you still carry the chronometer in your pocket, although you have no idea where the bolt pistol may have landed. A quick glance of your surroundings reveals no obvious locations for the pistol, but you can clearly see a plume of dust ahead of you, where the plinth must have embedded itself.

>you survived, and have made an enemy of Kek himself, what do?

>search surroundings for bolt pistol
>go check out the plinth
>tend to your wounds
>write-in
>>
>>297011
>>search surroundings for bolt pistol
>>
>>297011
>>go check out the plinth
>>
>>297011
>>search surroundings for bolt pistol
Gun, the space marines best friend.
>>
>>297017
>>297030

>roll a 1d100 for awareness please
>>
Rolled 43 (1d100)

>>297045
>>
Rolled 75 (1d100)

>>297045
>>297045
>>
Rolled 22 (1d100)

>>297045
>>
>>297051
yeeeeeeees
>>
>>297045
>>
>>297070
>>
Rolled 41 (1d100)

>>297073
"dice+1d100" in the email field
>>
Rolled 24 (1d100)

>>297073
>>
>>297078

MOTHERFUCKING ROLL SYSTEM! WHAT KIND OF FUCKING FAGGOT COMES UP WITH THIS SHIT WHAT THE FUCK!
>>
>>297051

>1 degree of success, nice catch

You spend a few minutes half-heartedly poking around the bottom of the hill, but you're delighted to catch a flash of metal about 40 yards to your east - your bolt pistol has survived the trip as well, although you check the ammunition to find that there are only 4 bolts remaining. Still, better than nothing. You check GL's chronometer as well, to find that you spent about 2 hours in the caverns - at this point, you have 88 hours remaining on the second timer.

>bolt pistol back in inventory with chronometer

Turning, you march slowly, still very much in pain, up to the plinth's crash site - which to the plinth's credit, was more of a controlled descent than your own. You find the metallic rod jutting from the softer sand of the sand dune, and you examine the rod closely for clues.

>cont
>>
File: clue3.png (404KB, 370x471px) Image search: [Google]
clue3.png
404KB, 370x471px
>>297088

You're disappointed to find another map - although rather than an engraved one, this one appears on a kind of data slate embedded into the side of the pillar - presumably so that the position of the plinth can update to your actual location.

Unlike the other maps, there's no direct marking for the next plinth - only a line drawn out to the east. Casting your eyes in that direction, you see nothing but unbroken desert and scrubland. If there is a plinth, then it must be far away. You'll have to march in a straight line with no true landmarks to guide you.

"The Emperor protects," you mutter. Spitting spit from your mouth, you wearily trudge off to the east.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"Sergeant Karlat - an update on your Initiate is ready." The Tech-Marine held a data slate and expectantly waited for a response. Karlat slowly turned to face him, waiting a full beat. As much as he put on a brave face for the other Lions, Karlat had a soft spot for his trainees - he loved them, and each death was a cut against his heart. It wasn't right for him to care so deeply, but then again - his trainees did better than the others. It always took him a moment to prepare himself for the news. "Speak, Tech-Marine."

"Good news, Sergeant. Rocketry flash at Point 4 confirmed by thermometrics - seismographs also indicated a localized collapse of the cave system."

Karlat didn't smile, but his heart leapt in joy. "Excellent, Tech-Marine - the time?"

"12 hours, Sergeant. Could beat the record."
>>
>>297160
Exciting
>>
>>297160

And that seems like a good place to cut out for the night.

I'm thinking about running on Sunday, but check the twitter to watch for updates.

@hornedlionsque1

I'll stick around for another few minutes for questions
>>
>>297160
Aw PaPa Marine is rooting for us.
AND WERE BREAKING FUCKING RECORDS N SHIT YEEEAH
>>
>>297169
Thanks for running boss.

What did you think of our decision to take the upper path? Personally I was hoping to kill a ferocious beast and earn some sick rep and a fate point... unfortunately the odds were against us on that one
>>
>>297169
Thanks for running brohiem!
>>
>>297176
The odds are often against us, judging by the rolls done so far. At least since we're out of fate points we won't be doing any more glory crap.
>>
>>297176

The upper path was always going to be the shorter route, but I had it in for you guys - each one of those crab beasts could have killed you easily in melee combat.

Just for a reminder, when it counted, Finial dodged EVERY SINGLE melee attack, and most of them would have done over 10 wounds.

You guys may not feel this way, but it's borderline miraculous that you escaped with a mere 5 damage from sandsurfing.
>>
>>297209
Ha, good to know. Yeah no I agree that we were extremely lucky in how little damage we received throughout all that. I wonder what condition we'll be in by the end. Honestly, this is a universe of cybernetics and crazy shit; if we lose a limb towards the end I won't be all too upset.
>>
I dont want exact detals but how much time left of this trial?

We do still have candle right? crab no take candle?
>>
>>297293

Haha, wow. Yes, you do still have the candle. I had completely forgotten about it until now.
>>
>>297944
Good, you no take candle.
Loving the quest man. Stay awesome
>>
>>297944

Damn, I forgot about this. Next one is Sunday right?
>>
>>299199

I'll be running for a short time tonight starting at 7:30pm EST
>>
>>306003

thread postponed until tomorrow night, sorry fellas
>>
>>306898
ooy. Ok, we'll see you monday.
>>
>>306898
make a new thread? This one's looking a bit old.
>>
>>311311

Yeah, I'm typing up OP now - I'll link it when it's up
>>
>>311320
Good show.
>>
>>311323

New thread at >>311379
Thread posts: 200
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.