[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Space Marine Applicant Quest #2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 6

File: shadowedlair.jpg (35KB, 736x391px) Image search: [Google]
shadowedlair.jpg
35KB, 736x391px
>first thread at >>265146
>trying a new thread since the first one is in permasage

The weeks after Sen's death passed by quickly, like dust flowing through your fingers. Sen had stayed on your mind, and you can tell the same is true for Fraq and Rab – their brows always creased in concern when you pass them in the empty halls of the Shadowed Lair. In the rare quiet moments that you are afforded, you marvel at the architecture with the Lair – leaping columns, and archways that seem to grow and twist from the very rock. You're positive that the Lair itself is underground, after those long years in the Underhive, you've developed a kind of second sense. Questions about everything seem to burn in your mind constantly, but as the novelty of your position as an Initiate has faded, so too has the friendliness of the brothers of the Horned Lions. You proudly wear the gray robes of an Initiate, but you feel that you might be the only one to notice. A peculiar kind of tension seemed to be present within the Chapter, and so you had kept your questions to yourself. You realized quickly that many of the robed figures were not actually brothers of the Chapter – servants of some kind, they wore featureless gray robes like your own and remained silent at all times. Once, you had attempted to speak with one, as you walked from the Medicae wing – his eyes were large and somehow blank, and he did not respond. You're not sure if he could understand you at all.

You may not have been able to interrogate the servants or the brothers, but you were certainly watching and listening. For one, the three of you from the Underhive were not the only Initiates present – you had personally seen at least three others, all as large as the true brothers of the Chapter. Secondly, these other Initiates had gray robes like your own – but two of them had red bands over their right biceps, and the third had the red band as well as a red hood. Rab and Fraq had unmarked gray robes like yourself. Fatho, the apothecary, wore robes of unmarked white. The brother who directed the Chapel service in morning and evening prayer wore robes of black – a Chaplain Kegrail, you think he's called. The other brothers wore mostly robes of a dark red color, as far as you could tell. They all seemed to ignore you.
>>
>>279473

The Lions had greeted the four of you with waves and content grins when you had first arrived in the Fortress-Monastery, but Sen's death seems to have soured your welcome. The rare brothers you pass by seem to filter you out of their vision now – just another Initiate flitting from one place to the next, not even worth a second glance. Spoken word in the Shadowed Lair seemed to be discouraged for all brothers – you'd gotten used to hushed conversations that pause as you come within earshot, and resume as you turn the corner. For Initiates, it seemed that you were permitted to speak only when asked a question directly – and you were never asked. You once coughed as you left morning services at the Chapel, and almost all 50-odd brothers present in the Shadowed Lair had turned to glare at you momentarily. You found yourself mirroring your betters by wearing a mask of disdain to blend in, as you strode quietly from between the Medicae, the Chapel or the tiny bedroom that had become yours.

The Chapel itself was a place of wonder – beautiful wall carvings and tapestries of battles and worlds that you did not recognize were splashed along the perimeter of the Chamber. The Chapel itself could easily house hundreds of brothers, but you had learned through eavesdropping now that most of the active part of the Chapter was away on some campaign, on a world called Litore. At any rate, you enjoyed the services – you couldn't understand the language of the dark-robed Chaplain, but the passion of his words seemed to wash over you and refresh you.

Unfortunately, you couldn't say the same of the life outside the Chapel – you had had two more operations, along with Rab and Fraq, although these implants were somewhat more mysterious. When asked by Rab to explain them, Fatho had pursed his lips somewhat, and said,

"The first is called the Haemastamen – it better regulates your growth so I do not have to. The second is called Larraman's organ – in battle, it will staunch your wounds and keep you alive. No more questions, Initiate." True to Fatho's word, however, Fraq's haltering growth seemed to become much improved. A fear that you did not consciously recognize – that Fraq would suffer the same fate as Sen – evaporated as you watch his height leap to match Rab's. Fraq would be shorter than Rab, it seemed, but only by a matter of two or three inches. In only six months, you grown at least one and a half feet taller, and over a hundred pounds heavier. It seemed clear that you would be the tallest of the three. Beyond your height though, you had a deeper sense of well-being – a feeling of health and vitality that must be welling up from the gene-seed itself.

>roll for your gain in wounds, /qst/
>1d8+3, best of three, please
>>
Rolled 1 + 3 (1d8 + 3)

>>279479

here ya go
>>
>>279473

bump for interest?
>>
Rolled 7 + 3 (1d8 + 3)

>>279540
Just came to the thread now.

>>279479
>>
Rolled 7 + 3 (1d8 + 3)

>>279572

Nice! I'll roll the last time
>>
>>279572
>>279583

>+10 to wounds, pretty good

That said, as the new implants took hold and Fraq's growth improved, you had seen Fatho less and less – it seemed he had other tasks to busy himself with now that the three of you were growing and healthy. You seemed to have been handed off to a new master, Sergeant Karlat. His robes were dark red like most of the other brothers, but his hood was a kind of yellow-gold. Quickly, you had learned to fear the glimpse of that gold hood, because Karlat would cheerily shepard you into the caves beyond the training rooms, and then bring you to what felt like an inch of your life. Unlike the other Lions, Karlat seemed to be almost cheerful in his duties, with a wide grin and a wild mop of black hair to match it. His training sessions seemed designed to bring out your physical weaknesses and crush them mercilessly, and no amount of struggling seemed to convince him that you were at the limits of your capability. At the same time, Karlat quizzed you endlessly on letters, words, numbers – a whole world of symbols that had slipped past your understanding in the Underhive. Climbing hanging ropes with hundreds of pounds attached to your waist, or dodging servitors flailing with steel clubs as best you could, while reciting the spellings of words. Frustratingly, you were never allowed to strike back – only to absorb the intense punishment for a whole day at a time, and return the next morning after morning prayers for the next dose.

To make matters worse, the caves were practically boiling with heat, although Karlat never seemed to notice himself. Furthermore, he only trained one of you at a time, and sometimes through the night as well – passing a beaten and broken Fraq or Rab was the only warning you might have regarding the day's "fun". Any conversation beyond answering his questions during your torment caused Karlat to double your punishment, crying out that "If you can speak, I'm not pushing you hard enough!". You had fallen into a dreary routine, expecting punishment from a smiling slavedriver, and so today, you blinked in shock at his words.

"No training today, Initiate. It is time for the Hunt," Karlat said, smiling, and marching out of your tiny bedroom. You realize quickly that you're heading to a part of the monastery that you've never been, and a thousand questions race through your mind.

>what do you ask Karlat, /qst/?

>What's the Hunt?
>What do we do?
>Is anyone else coming?
>write-in
>>
>>279588
"How was your own experience with "The Hunt" sir?"
>>
>>279588
>>What's the Hunt?
>>
>>279614

"How was your own experience with the hunt, Sergeant Karlat?" Karlat glances at you at surprise, your question catching him off-guard. Recovering quickly as you make your way through the Shadowed Lair, he eyes you again through his unruly hair before responding. The ever-present grin has faded to a smirk, and Karlat replies,

"It was the most difficult thing I'd ever done at the time. I had no preparation, no tools. My training wasn't as thorough as yours has been."

"But what is it, Sergeant Karlat?" you press further. Karlat chuckles and shakes his head at your further question. "Normally, I would be offended, Initiate, but I'm in a good mood. The Hunt is a way for the Horned Lions to see whether you are truly worthy of the Chapter. The Emperor has blessed you enough so that you have survived the most difficult part of the gene-seed transformation - now you must show us if you deserve to call yourself a battle-brother."

Without breaking stride, Karlat marches you directly through a large set of double-doors, through a large open space, and directly into some kind of flying machine. As Karlat straps you into a seat, he explains "This is a Thunderhawk - it will convey us to drop-point. You will return on foot, or not at all. Am I understood?"

You nod in reply, mind whirling. You glance at your empty hands, and the thin gray robes you wear. "Are there supplies, Sergeant Karlat?" you ask nervously. Sergeant Karlat chuckles again, infuriatingly.

"You have the holy gene-seed of the Horned Lions and faith in the Emperor, Initiate. That is all you need."

>cont
>>
>>279670
You may inspire me to look into this whole universe OP. Maybe.
>>
File: carcerum.jpg (361KB, 1920x892px)
carcerum.jpg
361KB, 1920x892px
>>279670

Impossibly, Karlat seems to fall asleep as the Thunderhawk takes off in flight. There's no one else in the machine, as far as you can tell. You raise your voice several times to catch Karlat's attention and wake him up, but he simply doesn't respond - you get the impression that he's faking. Nonetheless, as the Thunderhawk lands, Karlat scrubs his eyes and stands. The rear of the Thunderhawk is sliding open, and the baking heat of Carcerum streams in.

"Here we are! Come stand over here, Initiate!" As you walk over, Karlat puts an arm around your shoulder in a friendly fashion. You look out over a hellish landscape together - full of bluffs, cliffs, and ravines. Karlat solemnly intones,

"If you are worthy, survive. If you are faithful, prosper. If you are a Horned Lion in your soul, Initiate - return, and become a Neophyte. The Emperor protects." You open your mouth to respond just as Karlat tosses you out of the Thunderhawk.

Landing in the heap, you spring to your feet just in time to watch the Thunderhawk taking off, Karlat wearing a malicious grin. You can't help but hate him at the moment.

>cont
>>
Rolled 4 (1d20)

>>279723
Throw a rock at the Thunderhawks engine and bring it down!
>>
>>279738
I'm sure that will end well.
>>
>>279723
>>279738

>kek, rock throw is a failure

In a rage, you grab a rock and hurl at it the Thunderhawk as hard as you can - but you miss by an incredibly wide margin. Your only consolation is that Karlat has no way to know how poor your aim is. Taking your bearings, you're standing on a rocky outcropping, the end of a wide bluff. To your right, you see the remnants of rocksides tumbling down a narrow canyon. To your left, the plateau continues indeterminately for some distance. The heat is oppressive - you're lucky that the sun is setting, or you're sure it would be even hotter. Before you though, you see something unusual. Stepping through the rocky ground, you approach a large metal pole, or a plinth of some kind.

The plinth stands before you; a worn and rounded piece of steel that juts from the rocky plateau, about four feet in diameter. A warm breeze carries a fine grit that burns in your eyes and mouth, and shielding your eyes, you approach the object to examine it.

You can make out an inscribed warrior holding a sword to the heavens in victory, or triumph. Above the warrior, some lettering reads:

THE EMPEROR GUIDES YOU TO VICTORY
RISE TO MEET HIS CHALLENGE

Distantly, you hear the roar of the Thunderhawk fade out. You are acutely aware that you are alone on the surface of Carcerum. You have no idea what to do next.

>what do, /qst/?

>examine surroundings
>examine plinth
>write-in
>>
>>279760
>examine plinth
Say a prayer, one that we've learned specific to our chapter.

And then

>examine surroundings

See if we can find anything that would work as a weapon.
>>
>>279760
>>examine plinth
>>
>>279775
Seconding, our first priority is to find a rare buried sword left here by a cheeky predecessor.
>>
>>279775
>>279780

You take a deep breath and attempt to settle your anger at Karlat somewhat. You recite a simple prayer that you've memorized from your time in the Shadowed Lair - "May the Emperor bless this day. Give me the power to slay the enemies of Man, and I will never falter. Give the faith to see your will done, and I will never stray from the path. Give me the wisdom to know when lies are spoken, and I will never cease in my efforts to root out heresy where it appears. The Emperor Protects." Surprisingly, the ritual does appear to soothe your mind - you feel focused.

Moving forward, you take a closer look at the steel plinth.You touch the steel briefly – and retract your hand with a hiss. The plinth has been baking in the hot sun, and it's quite hot to the touch. Undeterred, you walk briefly around the plinth, and notice quickly that two handholds have been pressed into the sides of the column – if you crouched, you could grab both handholds at same time. Standing, you glance at the horizon again, a hellscape if you've ever seen one. You look at the lettering again, in contemplation...

Turning you move about the plinth, looking for any sign or tool, but you find nothing in particular, only loose rocks of various sizes. If you wanted, you could grab a couple for future use as a weapon.

>grab rocks?
>write-in
>>
>>279830
>write in

I'm not convinced, there's a weapon hidden near or within this Plinth. Placed here for only the most astute and intituitve Warriors to find. There is a weapon here. Find it.
>>
>>279830
Grab the handholds and lift it up from the earth. Do our best to ignore the pain of searing heat.

If that fails grab a nice looking rock a smash over the heads of any enemies we encounter
>>
>>279830
>Coat our hands in dirt or use some rocks to shield our hands from the heat, grasp the plinth handholds and move it.
>>
>>279842
>>279844
>use dirt, pretty smart

Thinking a moment, you decide to coat your hands in dirt and attempt to lift the pillar with the handholds.

>Give me a 1d100, best of three /qst/
>lower is better
>>
Rolled 4 (1d100)

>>279862
>>
Rolled 64 (1d100)

>>279862
>>
Rolled 14 (1d100)

>>279862
>>
Rolled 100 (1d100)

>>279862
>>
>>279879
Thank goodness you are late.
>>
>>279870
>>279874
>>279878
>4, pretty amazing.

>>279879
>kek, lucky that this is roll number 4, or you would have thrown out your back.

Writing
>>
>>279879
3 seconds, I saved us by THREE seconds.
>>
>>279879
I am so so happy you crit failed OUTSIDE the requisite 3 rolls
>>
>>279886
Good job anon
>>
File: clue1.png (139KB, 325x350px)
clue1.png
139KB, 325x350px
>>279885
>3 degrees of success with a 4, plus one from Unnatural Strength
>effectively a crit success, S bonus unlocked

The dirt does a manageable job protecting your hands from the head, and so without another thought, you strain upwards with all your power. Finding deep reserves of strength you didn't know you had, you let loose a deep roar, sounding completely unlike yourself. The plinth seems to grind upwards, catching on some mechanism hidden beneath the rock – sliding upwards in loud clicks. The steel rises upwards by perhaps another four or five feet before coming to a stop. There's some kind of map pressed into the steel – it might take some interpretation before you can make it out. And just below the map is a tiny chronometer, half-covered by dirt. It seems like no one has removed the chronometer in many years, but with a moment of effort, you've gained it.

Examining the chronometer closely, you realize that it must have been set to Carcerum's day/night cycle, as it helpfully predicts the sun-set to be in... 8 hours, and there's another timer that seems to be counting down from 100 hours. On the back of the chronometer, there is a small engraving – GL. Beyond that, there's no other markings that you can see. You stash the chronometer in one of your large robe pockets, and for good measure, grab a serviceable rock for the other pocket. Better to have a real weapon, but the rock is better than nothing.

Standing from your crouch, you feel different - your muscles active and ready for use. Raising the plinth has changed you, somehow.

>roll a 1d10 for your permanent Strength bonus, /qst/
>>
I feel like I should show myself out, I won't fail again... Then again I forgot this was inverted and so prayed for a Nat 100...the Emperor provides rolls, but not game understanding it seems
>>
Rolled 1 (1d10)

>>279917
>>
>>279922

The Emperor forgives the penitent, anon.
>>
Rolled 7 (1d10)

>>279917

>>279922
Just make up for it with excellent rolls henceforth anon
>>
Rolled 4 (1d10)

>>279926
>>279931

Rolling once more for the Strength bonus, I was looking for 3 rolls total
>>
Rolled 5 (1d10)

>>279917
>>
>>279931

>29+7 = 36 is new strength.

As for the map, you take a closer look at it.

>Finial is trained in Basic Navigation as part of his Initiate training, please roll another 1d100, best of three to see if he can figure it out.
>>
Rolled 77 (1d100)

>>279960
>>
Rolled 67 (1d100)

>>279960
>>
Rolled 50 (1d100)

>>279960
Heres hoping
>>
>>279960
Not sure if write in's help but I am guessing that the indicated points on the map might be plinths, used to create a path home. Given that one of them is on the side of a hill and the other is at the top of a hill with something of a plateau I think we need to travel west to the one on the side of the hill. Take a look at our surroundings and see if the landscape matches up with that theory, can we see a valley with water at the bottom near us etc?
>>
>>279966
>>279968
>>279977

>Finial sucks at maps, guys. Wew lad.
>he scrapes by with one degree of success though, he's good like that.

>>279990
>exactly right, anon

You stare the map for a minute before you begin to realize how it works - the lines must mean a change in elevation. One of those black markings is clearly the plinth you're standing at, but the other one is some kind of hillside, perhaps. Looking beyond the plinth, you realize that the hillside to your west must be where the next plinth is.

Beyond that, you realize that the climb is going to be fairly tough - you'll have to descend your plateau's cliff, cross the narrow ravine of about a kilometer, and then ascend the hillside to reach the next plinth. Alternately, you could stay on stable ground and follow the edge of the plateau for about 5 kilometers until it meets the hillside. It would save you the climbs, but marching for miles out of the way seems like it's a big trade-off. The heat is starting to get to you, as well.

>Finial's current Fatigue: 0

>What do?
>cliff-climbing?
>stay safe and take the longer route to avoid the climbs.
>>
>>280025

It'll take longer but we don't risk falling to our death immediately, we can rest and grab water when we make it to the ravine. Better to save our strength, this is only the beginning of what looks like a tough journey.
>>
>>280025
>>
>>280033

To be clear, there's no water at the bottom of the ravine - or at least no water right now. Maybe at some other time of year there would be, but not right now.

I'm not recommending either action, since you could very well fall to your death climbing, but I would also like to remind everyone that Finial does have Fate Points - he can reroll any failed action with the two Fate Points he currently has.
>>
>>280043
Oh ok, good to know. For now I'll still stick with the slow and safe option.
>>
>>280025
The Chapter rewards courage and strength! This isn't called "The Hunt" for no reason! The longer we spend idly walking by doing he safe thing, the better the chances are that we will be attacked and killed! We are full of renewed strength and vigour, we must attack this first obstacle with unbridled passion and might!
>>
>>280025
>>280025
>>stay safe and take the longer route to avoid the climbs.
Try to walk in the shade or as we are walking look to the other side to see if there are any caves or signs of movement.
>>
>>280052
I agree with you about rewarding strength and courage but I think thats going to come into it later. No way we make it through this without a fight. That's why I think we should take it easy initially, gives us the best chances later on.
>>
>>280049
>>280052
>>280054

>seems like 2 to 1 for safe march
>Finial will technically hurry since presumably you guys don't want to stroll in the baking sun

Considering your options, you decide that risking not one, but two climbs with no equipment is probably not a wise choice. You briskly move through the rocky plateau, keeping close to the edge, but keeping your eyes up and alert for possible dangers. In the eastern skies, you think you catch a glimpse of some kind of flying creature, but it soars over the horizon. By the chronometer's keeping, you spend about an hour and half briskly moving through the rocky terrain. The temperature continues to drop imperceptibly, but by the time you reach the western hillside, you're still drenched in sweat, and breathing a little hard.

As you approach the western hills, you keep alert for signs of another plinth, but don't have much luck. You'll have to take a few minutes for a more dedicated search, unfortunately.

>give me a d100, best of three

>Finial's Fatigue: still 0, (2.5 hours of hurrying left before fatigue sets in)
>>
Rolled 21 (1d100)

>>280092
>>
Rolled 61 (1d100)

>>280092
>>
Rolled 25 (1d100)

>>280092
My the Emperor guide my steps
>>
>>280097
>>280099
>>280100
>2 degrees of success

You shuffle the hillside, until you see the dull gleam of another plinth. Without wasting any time, you move towards it and within a few minutes, you're examining the plinth.

Unlike the previous one, there are no handholds, and the inscription on the plinth appears to be different as well. This image is not of the Emperor, or at least not the same armored warrior as before. This image is of an armored warrior with long and flowing hair, standing solemnly with an arm outstretched in greeting, or maybe reaching out to you? Either way, his right hand has been replaced with a featureless hole into the plinth. The inscription reads:

THE FAITHFUL SHOULD NEVER FEAR JUDGMENT

>what do /qst/?

>examine inscription again
>examine hole
>try to find clues
>write-in
>>
>>280133
>stick our arm in the hole
>>
>>280133
>stick our arm in the hole

No hesitation, no fear. Only faith.
>>
>>280143
FAITH
>>
File: smug.png (111KB, 797x800px) Image search: [Google]
smug.png
111KB, 797x800px
>>280139
>>280143

>they want to stick their arm in immediately

Writing.
>>
>>280133
>>try to find clues
Is there any blood around here....any bones. Because why do I get the idea that if you don't meet specific goals it'll take your arm?

I'd say cup your hands and look into it, our space marine eyes adapting to the dark but I aint sticking my eye near that shit.

That or it may be here because we took the easy path...we'd have found another if we took the harder route. Observe are map...is this the one marked because if it's not I smell a trap.
>>
>>280147
This is why you must be smart folks...hope you didn't need that arm, or have poison going through our veins
>>
>>280139
>>280143
>>280144

You consider the inscription's meaning for another moment, before deciding to place your arm within the hole. Immediately, a grinding sound emanates from the interior of the plinth, and SOMETHING clamps down on your arm, dragging you closer to the plinth. Within a moment, your entire arm is trapped inside. You fight the urge to withdraw your arm, instead calmly resting against the steel. A few moments pass, and you begin to catch your breath a little from the surprise.

That is, until you hear the motor.

A very loud whirring noise begins to churn, exhaust pouring out of intake vents that you didn't notice earlier. Something is whirring up to speed on the inside of the plinth, and it sounds unmistakably SHARP - like knives being sharpened.

>what do?

>try to rip your arm out of this fucking hole
>stay calm and cool.
>try to kick dirt at the exhaust ports or something
>something else?
>>
>>280188
>>stay calm and cool.
>>
>>280188
>>stay calm and cool.
oh fug stay calm folks, just offer a prayer
>>
>>280188
>stay calm and cool.
>>
>stay calm and cool.
>>
Idea...this is a test...I've got it...the bands those other brothers wore on their arms.... that meant they either passed or failed their test.
>>
>>280191
>>280195
>>280200

>we stay frosty

Alright, I'm going to need a WP check from you guys.

1d100, best of three. I'll throw you guys a +10 bonus for saying a little prayer as the Arm-Crunching Machine gets ready.
>>
>>280207
Oooh interesting theory, I like it
>>
Rolled 40 (1d100)

>>280212
>>
Rolled 81 (1d100)

>>280212
>>
Rolled 77 (1d100)

>>280212
>>
The Emperor protects brother! Stay and prevail, our faith will ruin those knives that will descend upon our blessed flesh.
>>
>>280219
>>280219

>1 DoF, sorry gents
>To beat the DC, you needed a 37

You remain calm, reciting your prayer to the Emperor, and waiting for this test of your faith to be over. Nonetheless, your anxiety begins to grow as there is no indication that you won't have your arm lopped off in the few seconds. In your panic, you shift your weight imperceptibly, and your arm moves by a fraction of an inch. Instantly, the grip on your arm tightens, and worse, the mysterious blades have moved closer to arm - you can feel the passing air from the blades wash over your skin, flesh that is about to be removed!

Your prayer to the Emperor has begun to falter in truth, as you sweat in the sweat.

>what do?

>keep cool! regain your faith!
>fuck it, pull your arm out
>write-in

>reminder: you can brute-force a failed roll with a FP if you so choose. Fate Points are very rare commodities and I will award them only rarely, just FYI
>>
>>280269
>>keep cool! regain your faith!

WE MUST PERSEVERE!
>>
>keep cool! regain your faith!
Burn fate if there is a consensus.
>>
Rolled 39 (1d100)

>>280269
Sod it, Fate point this bad boy. If we do is it best of 3 again or a single roll?
>>
Rolled 11 (1d100)

>>280269
we have three fate points right? lets DO IT,
We are the his angels! We are the deliverers of his will, a puny little hole will not stop us.
>>
>>280269

>lots of typos, please forgive me Emprah

>>280281
>>280284
>>280288

Roll me a 1d100 then, you'll have to beat a 27 to win. If you fail, you can burn a FP. I'll give you guys a chance at it before hand
>>
Rolled 88 (1d100)

>>280298
>>
Rolled 92 (1d100)

>>280298
>>
>>280298
>>280297
The Emperor blesses the righteous, and abscorns puny little holes.
>>
>>280297
EMPRAH PRESERVES!
>>
>>280288
>>280297

Only two FPs right now, but our maximum pool is 3.

Also I appreciate the rolls but for clarity's sake I'll only count the first three that happen AFTER my request.
>>
Rolled 74 (1d100)

>>280298
>>
>>280312
oki op, may the emperor forgive my insolence.
>>
>>280303
>>280304
>>280317

>74, wew lad.
>5 degrees of failure

Burn Fate Point, yes/no? This would bring you down to one, and one is plenty to save your life.
>>
>>280336
Yeah burn it.
>>
>>280336
Yes please. Praise KEK for future rolls.
>>
>>280336
yes
>>
Rolled 61 (1d100)

>>280336
>not rolling low

WHY BROTHERS
>>
File: giphy.gif (611KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
611KB, 500x300px
Rolled 2 (1d100)

>>280336
Praise Kek, make anime real plox
>>
Rolled 55 (1d100)

>>280336
>>
File: clue2.png (124KB, 225x418px) Image search: [Google]
clue2.png
124KB, 225x418px
>>280345
>>280346

>FP burned. Current FP pool: 1
>Praising KEK will only lead you down a dark path, anon

You grit your teeth, panic rising like acid in your gut. You mentally decide to try and remove your arm from the damned plinth while a stream of guttercurses flow like sewage from your mouth - Rab and Fraq would no doubt be rolling on the ground at your idiotic predicament, and your mouth screws up in a combination of terror and anger at your inability to keep calm.

Just before you yank titanically, the figure etched on the steel seems to catch your eye - the long haired warrior who now holds your arm so tightly. Looking at him, it seems that he has a small smile that you did not notice before - or maybe it was just wasn't there? The figure's eyes seem warm in the reflected heat of the sunset, and the smile seems to suggest that there is no reason to be alarmed.

You read the inscription above him again: THE FAITHFUL SHOULD NEVER FEAR JUDGMENT. Your panic leaps within you - but the figure on the steel is a calming presence in a way that you did not notice before. The calm washes over your mind like a pleasant breeze, and before you notice, your arm has been released from the clamps.

You take a moment to thank the armored figure for his help, when something seems to be placed in your hand - withdrawing your arm, you see that you're holding a small, white candle. The candle itself is unremarkable, but you can tell that it has been scented with oils and spices - they remind you of the Chapel in the Shadowed Lair. Carefully, you place the candle in your pocket, next to the chronometer. Surprisingly, the plinth silently begins to rise out of the rock - the mechanism must be in better shape than the first one.

Peering forwards, you see another map laid out carefully. You examine the base of the plinth carefully for hidden compartments, but you find only unmarked steel.

>what do?

>navigate using new map?
>write-in?
>>
>>280418
>navigate using new map?
>>
>>280418
>navigate using new map?
>>
>>280418
>navigate using new map?
>>
>>280435
>>280439
>>280440

>no need to roll, we're smart enough to figure it out

You glance at the map, quickly establishing that the new plinth is a considerably distance to the south - probably at least 8 kilometers away over gently sweeping hills. You check your chronometer to find that you've spent nearly thirty minutes at this plinth - shocking. The long-haired warrior's eyes are again hard and unflinching, but you're sure what you saw. The figure was fatherly and loving before, and it was only through his benediction that you kept your right arm at all. Instead of leaving you shaken, you feel... different. Calmer. Clearer. Something unusual happened here, you're sure of it. In a dawning realization, you consider the possibility that for a moment, you had a fraction of the Emperor's attention.

You will have to do him proud.

>please roll for 1d10 for permanent WP bonus
>also we're marching to next plinth unless anyone has objections?
>>
Rolled 6 (1d10)

>>280494
no objections boss
>>
Rolled 2 (1d10)

>>280494
>>
Rolled 1 (1d10)

>>280494
>>
Rolled 10 (1d10)

>>280494
>>
>>280505
late
>>
>>280507
By mere seconds even :(
>>
>>280500
It seems the dark god's are guiding my dice...I shall go atone. No more rolling for me
>>
>>280494
>>280496
we have like a hundred hours right? and we have 2.5 hours left before fatigue sets in, so why don't we look for a good place to rest and hide from the heat and continue our considerable march when the sun is setting. we might also need to look for atleast some materials to make a makeshift torch
>>
>>280518
Navigating by map is considerably harder in the dark, especially if there isn't a reflection from a moon or some other form of natural illumination.
>>
>>280535
I dunno, but marching that distance in the blazing sun isn't the best idea either.... can we spend this time to look for something to provide illumination then? or should we just march on?
>>
>>280496
>27+6 = 33 total

>>280505
>sorry champ, just a tad late

Marching South, you make the trip as brief as possible, hurrying around rocky fields and generally keeping your momentum as you round south over the hills. Despite the heat and thirst, it's almost a pleasant trip - you had only seen the surface of Carcerum once before, and you're half-sure it was a dream. You have this memory from very early childhood of peering through some kind of exhaust port in the side of the Underhide, and seeing the baking day beyond. You're glad that the sun is setting once again - that kind of heat would kill you in a matter of hours.

You reach the general area of the third plinth with a little over half the sun resting on the horizon - the chronometer says that only four hours of daylight remain. Like the first plinth, the third stands openly and alone amongst the bottom of the ravine. This one might be the most unusual one so far - a winged skull seems to be carved on the plinth.

>Finial can hurry for at least thirty more minutes before fatigue sets in

>cont, sorry for delay.
>>
>>280561

Before you can approach - you hear a small hum. Unbelievably, you see a skull float out of the top of the plinth. You stand motionless for a moment as you attempt to understand what you're seeing. To your right, you happen to notice a dark opening in the side of the canyon, possibly a cave.

The skull, bobbing gently on the wind, revolves slowly until it locks eyes - lenses? - with you. A loud noise erupts from the skull:

"INITIATE. ONLY THE MOST BLESSED CAN ESCAPE MY WRATH UNSCATHED!" As the skull speaks, a pistol erupts from the underside of the skull, and trains its aim on you!

>oh fuck

>what do you do /qst/

>find cover?
>toss the rock at it
>try to hide?
>write-in
>>
>>280607
>>toss the rock at it
while we
>find cover?
>>
>>280607
Seems like the next trial is in the cave. It's trying to herd us in there so lets just go and get it done.

>>Run to the cave opening
>>
>>280607
>write-in
Head to the cave so that it' cant fly around so easily. From there once inside latch tot he wall and wait for it to enter before jumping on it and pulling the wee fucker apart.

>inb4 cave has a monster in it
>>
>>280607
>>try to hide?
Get to the cave, break LOS, lose the thing.
>>
>>280620
Supporting this.
>>
>>280620
>>280622
>>280624
>>280626
>>280628

>combining

>give me a 1d100 for tossing the rock, -20 penalty for improvised weapon
>give me a 2d100 for dodging as you sprint to the cave
>give me a 1d100 for hiding in the cave, +20 because the cave is already dark.

SO that's 4d100 total
>>
Rolled 56, 53, 39, 48 = 196 (4d100)

>>280638
?
>>
Rolled 12, 85, 10, 72 = 179 (4d100)

>>280638
>>
Rolled 85, 2, 83, 66 = 236 (4d100)

>>280638
>>
>>280649
>>280651
>>280652
12, 2, 10, 48 nice
>>
>>280661
It's 32, 2, 10, 28
>>
>>280688
I don't see the 32.
>>
Sorry fellas, I'm going to need about 15 minutes
>>
>>280709
It's cool, take your time.
>>
>>280709
No prob battle brotha.
>>
>>280709

Take your time, just got caught up.
>>
>>280649
>>280651
>>280652

>so that's a 2 DoF for the rock throw, cheeky lil bastard
>crit success for the dodge, 4 DoS
>crit success for the second dodge
>scraping by a 1 DoS for the hiding

You yell out to the floating skull in a hoarse shout and launch your rock at the skull as hard as you can. Unfortunately, you're just as accurate as before - the skull doesn't even have to move as the stone goes sailing past. Apparently incensed, the skull screams out "TRAITORS AND HERETICS WILL BE SHOT ON SIGHT!" but by the time the skull fires the first shot, you've already danced out of the way, and the bolter round explodes somewhere behind you, fragments of half-molted shell whickering past you in the dusk.

The minor explosion only serves to give you a burst of speed you never knew you had in you - and the second shot from the skull, aimed for your head, misses entirely. Before the skull can follow into the cave, you've already hidden yourself behind an rocky outcropping, pulling your robe behind the obstruction just as the skull floats effortlessly into the cave.

>you have the upper hand, /qst/, how do you approach?

>leap out and grapple to subdue
>smash out of the air and crush with your feet
>hide and wait until the skull leaves
>write in
>>
>>280791
>>
>>280791
>>leap out and grapple to subdue
That bolt pistol will be useful in killing whatever's in the cave.
>>
>>280791
>>smash out of the air and crush with your feet
>>
>>280791
>>>leap out and grapple to subdue
Only because im worried if we stand on it we'll hurt our foot.

We need that Bolt Pistol
>>
>>280791
>leap out and grapple to subdue.
That's imperial technology, better to not totally destroy it.
>>
>>280801
>>280817
>>280819

>grapple is winning by a hair, any more votes?
>>
>>280791

Second >>280817, we can really use that bolt pistol
>>
>>280791
>>
>>280830

Alright, gimme an attack roll /qst/. +30 bonus because of the ambush.
>>
>>280830
Emprah preserve were gonna luchador that scurry murder skull haha
>>
Rolled 91 (1d100)

>>280844
>>
Rolled 49 (1d100)

>>280844
>>
Rolled 33 (1d100)

>>280844
>>
Rolled 10 + 30 (1d100 + 30)

>>280844
gonna be hard to beat that.
>>
>>280856

Thank the Emperor
>>
>>280856

>1 DoS, but you guys scored a nat 10 for damage on the grapple. I'm interpreting this as a total success on the grapple

The skull floats directly past your location, and waiting for the right moment, you leap out behind your rock with arms outstretched. The skull doesn't respond until you have it firmly in your grasp, and then it began to jerk in your grasp wildly attempting to break free.

You scream at it, "I have you! Surrender now! Surrender now!" and the skull blasts a litany of curses back at you, all proclaiming how unfit you are to have accosting it, and so forth. Nonetheless, you have the skull at a standoff and it cannot break free, but you also can't turn it around either, or it might shoot you. It's decidedly hostile to you, at this point, but maybe you can try negotiating?

>try to negotiate with charm, bonuses for good diplo options.
>smash this little fuck
>write-in
>>
>>280902
>"I aspire to be one of the Angels of Death, the warriors of the emperor"
>>
>>280902
CRUSH THE SKULL BENEATH YOUR BOOT
>>
>>280902
>>smash this little fuck
Yeah screw it. There will be failed initiate brain the Chapter can use to make a replacement. GET DAT FUCKING GUN.
>>
>>280902

By the Emperor's Grace I have hit out maneuvered and outflanked you. I would not damage a holy and loyal machine spirit any more than I already have. Yield, I will destroy you if I must, though I will find no joy in it.
>>
>>280902
Do servo skulls have rank at all? If not something along the lines of:

"I AM AN INITIATE OF THE HORNED LIONS! SENT TO PASS THESE TESTS AND PROVE MY WORTH ON THE PATH TO BECOMING A BATTLE BROTHER FOR THE EMPEROR! IF YOU ARE TRULY A SERVANT OF THE MIGHTY EMPEROR YOU WILL AID ME! STAND AGAINST ME AND YOU ARE A TRAITOR THAT WILL BE DESTROYED!"
>>
'I have stood multiple trials now and wish only to complete my trials would you aid me as a a fellow supplicant of the God emperor?'
>>
>>280910
>>280914
>>280918
>>280920

>deadlocked

Seems like a good place to leave this thread for the night. Thanks everyone for playing! Next thread will be on Thursday, probably 12 or 1pm EST.

Twitter is @hornedlionsque1. I'll stick around for questions for a few minutes if anyone has any.
>>
>>280927
>>280931

Ah, shit. Next thread will start with the charm attempt then.
>>
>>280936
2 more votes for negotiate hombre. See you on Thurs, thanks for running.
>>
>>280936
What's the last enemy the Lions had to fight?
>>
>>280936
Thanks for running breh see ya Thursday.
>>
>>280947

As a Chapter? Right now the subsector is a bit of mess in general, but the vast majority of active Brothers, about 200 brothers are on Litore, which is one of the interior planets in the Carcerum system. They're working with Sector Command to purge Litore of Orks, but the pacification of Litore will probably take decades.
>>
>>280967
OK thanks, that'll be all.
Thread posts: 158
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.