[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DorfManDwarfFortressQuest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 19

File: World Gen.jpg (49KB, 904x498px) Image search: [Google]
World Gen.jpg
49KB, 904x498px
In the fires of creation, your world was forged. Wild beasts roam, and civilizations rise and fall in the wake of crumbling mountains and melting glaciers. In such chaos, the results were only clear, once the dust had settled. What world were you born into, young dwarf?

Gimme some world settings and we'll get started.
Expect this to be sorta laid back, I am far from a DF master in any shape. But thats why you are here, forge ahead yourselves.
>>
>>227742
whoops, messed up the name
>>
>>227742
A world of taiga forest, of mountains, of winter snowfall and summer tundra meadows, where the deer and the wildcats roam, of ice-cold lakes and a mighty river that rushes across the land.
>>
>>227742
We will have it as such as well.
But is there a way you can word that to fit the settings
That is
World Size:
History:
Number of Civ:
Maximum Number of Sites:
Number of Beasts:
Natural Savagery:
Mineral Occurrence:

This way, we may have a better idea of how to construct the world in detail.
>>
>>227832
I haven't played much Dwarf Fortress, but I'll give it a go. Thanks for humouring me, QM :3

World Size: Medium
History: Short
Number of Civ: Low
Maximum Number of Sites: Low
Number of Beasts: Medium
Natural Savagery: Medium
Mineral Occurrence: Sparse
>>
>>227866
No prob, I just wanted to play around with this idea anyway. I like flavor answers anyway
Happy to have ya I'll try and explain what's happening best I can.

Gonna wait for a little bit to see if anyone else jumps in.
>>
>>227742
World size: Smaller (It's not like you can go exploring in fortress mode.)
Medium.
High.
Medium.
High.
High.
Everywhere.

My reasoning is that quests don't last that long so let's have some fun right at the start.
>>
File: Chaos.gif (949KB, 301x300px) Image search: [Google]
Chaos.gif
949KB, 301x300px
>>227914
>Chaos
Alright that's one way. Shall I wait for a tie breaker, or just flip a coin?
>>
>>227914
Second
>>
>>227914
Seconding
>>
I don't mind a chaotic game, I suppose, what the hell.
>>
File: Small World.jpg (113KB, 1275x780px) Image search: [Google]
Small World.jpg
113KB, 1275x780px
>>227933
>>227936
>>227914
alright then.

You are from a harsh world, where many die young and few who don't live to see themselves a grandparent. Despite this, civilization has thrived and managed to secure the only few safe positions on the island from the hordes of savage beasts. You wonder where is safe, for you too, are on a journey to make your stake in this world.
>>
File: Site searching.jpg (206KB, 1674x852px) Image search: [Google]
Site searching.jpg
206KB, 1674x852px
>>227974
Now...

You've managed to gather the support of your grand leader and the help of several adventurous fellows as well.

But the question is: What sort of site have you set your eyes on? Or even the leader has tasked you with colonizing?

Gimme some site searching conditions you'd like.
>>
>>227985
Tundra
Tower nearby
Shallow Metal
Deep Metal
>>
>>227985
We can see the whole world in this view, right? May I just circle a general area?
>>
>>227996
Yeah you can the world is set to smaller like this so you can circle general areas if you don't have specific search stuff in mind
>>
>>227985
No aquifer please
>>
It seems no aquifer, with shallow and metal metal with flux stone, and if possible, in the tundra and near a tower is suggested.

Is this right

>Y
>N
>>
>>228056
Y
>>
>>228056
Sounds good
>>
>>228056
>Metal metal
deep metal
>>
>>228056
That seems fine.
>>
File: Suitable Location.jpg (191KB, 1669x565px) Image search: [Google]
Suitable Location.jpg
191KB, 1669x565px
>>228056
Your King was a madman! Or at least, that is what you thought to yourself at the time. the fertile lands of the island are well colonized, and you must compete with your enemies. And so, you aim to mine the riches deep within the tundra to the south. You are to set up a sustainable fort in the area and bring in the fine riches that lurk beneath the earth. You were uncertain at first, but you have confidence in yourself, and perhaps even your mad king too. Whatever the case...

It is time to prepare.
>>
File: Sturdy Peasents they are.jpg (108KB, 1659x849px) Image search: [Google]
Sturdy Peasents they are.jpg
108KB, 1659x849px
>>228122
You know the sturdy group of dwarves that are accompanying you quite well. You hired them all accordingly based on the skills you need to survive this wasteland you'll be taking on. Some, you may even know personally. But it matters not. Today, you are all colonists.

What exactly were the skills you wrote down as must have, for your men again?

Simply state the most required talents, and I'll distribute them. This can be a little complex. Just remember, one dwarf can't do everything all the time.
>>
>>228161

Miner
Farmer
Swordsdorf
Carpenter
Artisan
>>
>>228161
Try to have a doctor if you have the points. Also someone with some appraisal and trade skills as think we'll need them.

Are you going to be using Dwarf Therapist by the way?
>>
>>228211
The latest update fucked mine up so I have to wait for it to catch up. Gotta do it raw today.
>>
>>228161
If you only ask me for five talents:

Miner
Mason
Swordsman
Grower
Weaponsmith
>>
>>228200
>>228222
To sum it up you have

>Leader Dwarf with all your trade skills

>Your smith dwarf, who also can handle a sword

>A Miner Mason who is quite skilled at both

>A decent carpenter who can also Farm for you

>Another Miner who knows his building design

>The best swordsdorf money could buy

>And a fine doctor Dwarf to heal what ales your men.

Is this acceptable?
>Y
>N
>>
>>228279
Y, as long as we have enough points left to get a couple cats.
>>
File: Supplies.jpg (140KB, 1659x943px) Image search: [Google]
Supplies.jpg
140KB, 1659x943px
Regardless there is another matter that requires your attention: Your ration and equipment!
Of course you're no fool you prepared yourself for the harsh land that awaits you. The basics are laid out before you, and you have enough money to afford just a bit more. But what extras should you bring:and in addition, what, if any, livestock too?
>>
>>228297
Get an anvil
Get some turkeys (3 female, 1 male)
Some wood too, since you're in the tundra
>>
>>228297
Stock up on some extra plump helmet spawn.
>>
File: Well Prepared.jpg (146KB, 1370x941px) Image search: [Google]
Well Prepared.jpg
146KB, 1370x941px
>>228296
>>228301
>>228316
You're fairly confident in your choice of gear, and decide to only spend a bit extra on a few turkeys to keep yourself supplied with meat and eggs, plump helmet spawn (for delicious brewing later), and a fair bit of extra wood. The lack of trees means that building in this new place will be difficult But not impossible.
Your coworkers insist on bringing their pet cats s oyou decide not to object. In a pinch they could provide a tasty meal, or at the least, keep the vermin out of your stockpiles.

>Is this acceptable, as well as the skill distribution above?

>Y
>N
>>
>>228394
Y
>>
>>228394
Y
>>
File: Your story.jpg (70KB, 1675x776px) Image search: [Google]
Your story.jpg
70KB, 1675x776px
For the glory of Ber Artob, your grand king, and yourselves, you will forge this land of Semorrovod, "Unitedarch" into a place all dwarves can be proud of.

Strike the earth.
>>
File: Arrival.jpg (714KB, 1662x880px) Image search: [Google]
Arrival.jpg
714KB, 1662x880px
The harsh trek through the snowy wastelands has left you and your men tired, and hungry. For a time you can support yourselves on nothing but rations and barreled wine, but soon, you will need to make those things yourself.

The land around you is cold-the air bites at you and your trembling livestock. You need to get somewhere warm-and fast.

All around you, the land is wide open, except for a tall hill you find at your backside. There are a few trees, it would seem, covered in snow, but the water here is frozen in little pockets

>What is your order, Overseer? How will you ensure your dwarves survive this harsh landscape?

Ask any and all questions you need to. I can look around for details if anyone wants them.
>>
>>228484
Dig out a narrow entrance and hallway, but leave enough space for it to be expanded at least four squares on either side. At the end of the hallway begin digging what will be the grand staircase. Excavate out an alcove from the hallway in which a carpenter's workshop can be situated with a small stockpile. Then, dig down until you reach a layer of solid rock and create a dormitory for your dwarves. Might as well cut down some trees while you're doing all this too.
>>
File: Plans.jpg (623KB, 1656x962px) Image search: [Google]
Plans.jpg
623KB, 1656x962px
>>228547
Does this look right, anon?
>>
>>228571
That looks fine to me.
>>
>>228547
I don't think that we have trees around here.
Also,
>Pasture the animals
>Build a Butcher's workshop outside (to avoid miasma shenanigans)
>Build a drawbridge between the fort's entrance and the outside, to serve as a rudimentary gate
>>
File: A fine set up.jpg (577KB, 1637x958px) Image search: [Google]
A fine set up.jpg
577KB, 1637x958px
You order your men to begin carving out the nearby hill, intent on huddling yourself deep within, out of this harsh wind.

Your men find that the cavern is easily cut, the floor a fine clay loom, until you reach near the back where it becomes white sand.

You quickly order a carpentry shop up and running, and tell them to begin building down. If you're going to survive this landscape you need to get out of it as fast as possible.

You also order the thin bare trees that are outside to be cut down. They don't hold much life but their wood will be put to good use.

You also set up a pasture outside for your animals to be able to graze (albeit in the snow) and a nearby butcher shop. You pity the man who would work in the cold, but it is for the best. Those foul vapors can do harm to your health you figure.

You also make plans for a drawbridge, once you have the stone to manage it.

Otherwise you continue to store things on the caravan for now.
>>
>>228761
Start making some beds as soon as possible. Then, after you've reached a rock layer and made a dormitory, carve out some rooms in the clay or sand to start planting crops in.
>>
File: Untouched earth.jpg (83KB, 1564x862px) Image search: [Google]
Untouched earth.jpg
83KB, 1564x862px
>>228761
As you dig down to prepare your dormitories, you find yourself facing fire clay, and more clay loom. Easy to dig through, thankfully, but no stone as of yet.

That leaves the question: How would you like to lay out your dormitories? Your men would no doubt be happiest with their own, perosnal, quarters, but that can be time consuming to do. You could simply have them carve out a hole and tell them all that is their sleeping spots for the moment. They may be unhappy after a while, but they would be far far more unhappy to sleep out in the snow and ice, and freeze to death.

>Suggest any layouts, or preferences you have for the dormitory/bedrooms.
>>
>>228785
>>228784
Or as this suggests, we may continue until we hit rock and make this a farming level.

Either works.
>>
>>228785
>>228785
Actually, just dig a hole into the wall and put some beds in it. The dormitory is just temporary after all; a measure to keep dwarves from sleeping on the ground outside like they are wont to do.

Then prioritize making some farms, perhaps down a hallway from the grand staircase.
>>
File: coming along.jpg (112KB, 1643x871px) Image search: [Google]
coming along.jpg
112KB, 1643x871px
Your work is coming along nicely-you decided to make the first level you unearthed dedicated to farming, with a small dormitory to keep your dwarves from sleeping outside-once the beds are finished of course.

As of now you've set up two farm plots to seed all of your delicious plump helmet seeds, but that will come in time. For now, there is something worrying at hand. The winds have begun to wipe and hiss outside, a snow storm has arrived.
>>
File: Cozy.jpg (108KB, 1644x947px) Image search: [Google]
Cozy.jpg
108KB, 1644x947px
>>228888
Despite the harsh weather outside, your men have managed to finish building the beds out of the wood you acquired-as well as plant several nice healthy Plump Helmet farms. After ensuring your men didn't waste the seeds by accident in a stew, you ordered them to try and use the dormitory to avoid the weather outside. Some listened-though your doctor seemed to enjoy standing out in the blizzard.

For now, though your short term goals have succeeded and you're well on your way to making this place a little closer to home.

So now...

>What's the next step?
>>
>>228930
Dig down until you hit a layer of solid rock and then build a long hallway on one side and the beginnings of a dining hall on the other. Once that's done, carve out a place for a mason's workshop and a stockpile and get to making tables and chairs.
>>
File: Struck minerals.jpg (13KB, 293x123px) Image search: [Google]
Struck minerals.jpg
13KB, 293x123px
>>228942
Merely one layer down, you have struck minerals. You will continue, of course, but it is a report all the same.
>>
File: More minerals.jpg (31KB, 296x214px) Image search: [Google]
More minerals.jpg
31KB, 296x214px
>>228956
Digging out this area reveals many different sorts of minerals.
>>
>>229004
We're going to need all the trade goods we can get, so it's lucky we've found some rough gems right away.
>>
File: Completed floor.jpg (116KB, 1670x969px) Image search: [Google]
Completed floor.jpg
116KB, 1670x969px
After much hard labor cutting into the hard stone beneath the loomy clay, your men find many rough gems and different stone types. You feel these will make excellent trade resources, or perhaps crafts even. Your mason is complete, and the hall and beginning of your dining hall is prepared as well.

You're men are pleased by your work so far-and thankful the intense snowstorms outside aren't blowing them away.

>Unfortunately, that's all I have time for today. This was fun though. It doesn't seem to be popular, but maybe I'll try for a thread #2, if just cuz having other people's perspective is kinda neat. I'll probably ask around the General if I do so, so thanks for joining me.
>>
File: Yet more, minerals.jpg (37KB, 386x353px) Image search: [Google]
Yet more, minerals.jpg
37KB, 386x353px
>>229064
Also, mining report of what all you dug up.
>>
>>229064
Thanks for running OP. I'd definitely like to see a thread 2, although I'd recommend starting earlier in the day.
>>
>>229153
I'll definitely see if I can manage that if I get a chance. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>228888
If this farm is directly below the top level with the trees we will have to look out for the tree soil bug.

For anyone that doesn't know, When you have a tree trunk directly above a dug out space, the ground will be removed and your farm will be exposed to the outside if you cut the tree.
>>
>>229070
I eagerly await your next thread
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.