[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redwall One-off Quest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 219
Thread images: 16

Short quest to keep my writing juices flowing

We all know of Mossflower. Of Redwall Abbey and Salamandastron, of Martin the Warrior and the great badger lords. But this tale is not about any of that. For this tale takes place far to the north of Mossflower. There lies a stretch of land ruled by snow in the winter, and blessed with green during the short summer.

The land is called Whitenort by its inhabitants. Many years ago, gentlebeasts and vermin alike settled in this northern land, but they all found the weather unforgiving, and the lords of the land deadly. For Whitenort Forrest was home to the fierce Bonebeak kingdom, a clan of murderous and territorial crows. The gentlebeast and vermin of Whitenort lived in perpetual fear of the Bonebeak crows, until Vandal Bloodfur and his wildcat kin drove them back at the battle of Sullied Snow.

From that day forward Vandal and his line took on the task of protecting Whitenort from the sporadic raids of the Bonebeaks. With the help of the settlers of Whitenort, Vandal erected a castle known as Kirotr, and from there watched over the lands. Over time his sons adopted the role of rulers of Whitenort, and taxed the gentlebeasts food and craft in exchange for protection. The vermin were drafted into the Kirotr army.
>>
File: Mossflower Far North.jpg (961KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Mossflower Far North.jpg
961KB, 1024x768px
Now the grandson of Vandal Bloodfur, Undred Bloodfur, rules Kirotr. There has not been a Bonebeak raid since his youth, and the Lord of Kirotr has many winters under his belt. He grooms his son and daughter, Fick and Lisinna, to rule after his passing. The Kirotr army has never been bigger, and threatens to overtax the gentlebeast families of Whitenort. To the northwest are the Snowhare tribes, reclusive but dangerous when provoked, and to the south lies the Rakka Tan Kingdom, a large collection of warrior squirrel clans that have always eyed the Bloodfurs with mistrust.

You are Blackfur, a black furred wildcat found by Undred and raised as his own. You are the commander of the Kirotr army, and you are hated by the other wildcat kin for being an outsider. Today you stand on the battlements, watching the sun rise over the crisp autumn day. The trees have already turned; winter is coming. There is much happening in preparation for the cold seasons. Soldiers are on patrol across the river, while others are collecting the food and craft tax from the farmbeasts and the river-folk. Still others lounge inside Castle Kirotr. As commander, you have many options.

>Go out with the soldiers on patrol
>Go out with the soldiers collecting taxes
>Explore around Kirotr
>>
File: 1.jpg (1000KB, 3723x1420px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1000KB, 3723x1420px
>>1682662

Records Parchment

Kirotr Army

Wildcats
Undred Bloodfur- Lord of Kirotr
Ficklefang (Fick) Bloodfur- Son of Undred
Lisinna Bloodfur- Daughter of Undred
Blackfur- Commander
Moloc, Eriff and Ullaysee Feathertaker
Garrum and Sigor Manyeyes
Bilth Onepaw
Tobbi and Seredge Hackles
Petrik Redclaw
Kettum Snowfury

Rats (59)
Stoats (43)
Weasels (50)
Ferrets (41)
Foxes (7)

Gentlebeasts
Farmers-
Molos Family (17)
Redtail Family (15)
Appatt Family (10)
Cheeseks Family (19)
Billow Family (7)
Simmowin Family (12)
Riverfolk-
Thintail Family (11)
Boro Family (14)
Sooter Family (20)
Opine Family (5)
Blackpaw Family (2)
>>
>>1682662
>Go out with soldiers on patrol
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 256x192px
>>1682662
Let's go on patrol.

Are we going to get a weapon type before leaving? Commander has to be a good fighter to keep these hardbois in line.

Where do us cats figure in the height chart?
>>
>>1682696
>>1682700

You draw your cloak in against the wind, then descend from the battlements. In the yard are a score of vermin readying themselves for patrol.

Records Scroll
-Kirotr army equipment-
Helm
Tunic
Chainmail Vest
Boots
Spear
Short Sword
Bow
Quiver with around 20 arrows

The Kirotr Army kit evolved through combat against the Bonebeak kingdom. All vermin have been trained with spear and bow, though usually only the vermin who have proven themselves good shots use the latter.

You approach the captain standing in front of the vermin, a stoat named Sliteye.
"Captain Sliteye," You say. "I will accompanying you on your patrol east of the river. The stoat nods.
"You hear that boys?" Sliteye says, turning towards the soldiers. "Commander Blackfur is with us today, so I don't want no lollygagging or I'll whip you myself!"
"Aye!" The soldiers shout.
"Take the lead captain," You say, gripping your sword. Unlike the other wildcat warriors in Kirotr, you do not use a trident, instead opting for a simple sword. You have found yourself rather good with it.
The patrol sets out, passing under the gatehouse and out into the expansive surrounding country of Whitenort. You cross Whitenort river, its surging waters threatening to sweep away any soldier who is not careful. Once across, the captain pauses.
"Commander Blackfur sir," He says, leaning on his spear and tipping his helm back. "Usually we just follow the river south and then come back up the same way. But seeing as how you're here and all, I was wondering if you'd want to patrol closer to the Wood. On account of his lordship Bloodfur being wary of the crows and all,"

There has not been a sighting of Bonebeaks since before you were born. It never hurts to patrol near the woods, but it would take you out of your way. And besides, there's always the river to walk in search of trouble.

>Patrol out towards the wood edge
>Patrol along the river
>>
There's never been a size chart for the wildcats, but here's the wildcat ungett trunn fighting a badger, for a bit of reference
>>
>>1682714
If we're patrolling near the wood then we ought to be on the lookout for squirrels. They dislike us just as much and unlike the crows are a current enemy.

I say we do it if we have the supplies. Men might not be happy but it's a change of pace.
>>
>>1682714
>>
>>1682714
>>
>>1682739
Ah shit I wasn't too clear, on the map >>1682662
we've headed east from Kirotr across the river towards the unmarked woods, which is Bonebeak territory
>>
>>1682747
Then let's see if somebody's home, lads!
>>
>>1682743
>>1682745
>>1682739

You peer off towards the distant woods. Leaves blow past you as you narrow your eyes at the treeline.
"Head towards the woods, it's time we checked up,"
The other soldiers murmur. None are old enough to remember bonebeak attacks, or even what a crow looks like. But they have heard the stories. Whitenort history is steeped in tales of talons and beaks tearing at the fur of gentlebeast and vermin alike.
"You heard him!" Sliteye yells. "Get moving!"
The army column begins marching. The fox that is with you unwraps his bow as you move. The sun continues to climb in the sky, warming the crisp autumn air.
"Sir," Sliteye says, walking alongside you. "May I speak?"
"Speak," You say, gazing ahead at the approaching wood.
"You're close to the lord, what do you know of crows?" Sliteye says, sniffing and wiping at his snout.
"Are you good with your bow?" You say.
"Sir?"
"You bow," You say, glancing at Sliteye. "Are you good with it,"
"As good as the next stoat sir,"
"If you ever see a crow, shoot at it and pray you hit. For if not, you will be using your spear,"
Sliteye does not respond, instead digesting this information. After an hour of walking, the twenty vermin soldiers finally reach the treeline. You hold up your paw, signalling the column to halt.
"You hear that," You say.
"Sir?" Sliteye comes up beside you.
"It's silent," You say. "In the old stories, Whitenort wood is sometimes called the silent wood. As long as it stays that way, it is good for all of us," You look around. "Break for lunch, and be quick,"
Sliteye signals the soldiers to take a break, and the begin to move about. The soldiers take out cheese wrapped in cloth, and take sips from watergourds strapped to their thighs. Sliteye, eager to impress you, has a couple soldiers pair off and spar. You watch as you nibble on your cheese, then glance out at the silent wood.
The trees tower above you, as if beckoning you to find ruin within. A smell you cannot identify drifts on the wind, raising the hackles on your back. You hear a noise and turn. The vermin are cheering. A particularly muscular rat named Fatsnout has just thrown another rat to the ground. He lifts up his paws in victory.

>Finish your meal
>Challenge Fatsnout to a bout of sparring
>Take a short walk along the treeline to find the smell
>>
>>1682777
>Find the smell
Maybe bring a couple soldiers with you?
>>
quick break for lunch, resuming in an hour
>>
>>1682784
Supporting
>>
>>1682784

"You two," You say, pointing at a weasel and the fox with the bow. "Come with me,"
They say nothing, falling into step behind you as you trail along the treeline. The woods are silent, and the fox has an arrow in his paw, but you take a moment to take in the smells of the autumn wood. Taking another sip of your waterskin, you pause. Something has caught your eye. You bend down, scooping a black feather,"
"Commander Blackfur?" The weasel says. You show him the feather.
"This is an omen," You say, running the feather through your claws. You know the smell now. It was the smell of a fresh kill. Meat, laid bare.
"It's a crow's feather," The fox says. "Does that mean they're here?"
"They've always been here," You say, pocketing the feather. You take a long, hard look into the woods. "Let's go,"
It was as much as sign as you needed. The feather was a stark reminder of something you'd rather not acknowledge; there are enemies everywhere, even if they're not making their presence known.
Once back with the others you signal Captain Sliteye.
"Alright you vermin," He shouts, banging his spear on the ground. "Up and at em! Lunch is over, let's go!"
The army column collects itself and begins marching again. You head south and west, back towards the river. Cresting a hill, the sun shines down upon you, lighting up the orange and red leaves in the surrounding country. A ferret points down the hill, and you squint to see what he's spotted.
An armed band of vermin is mulling about. A campfire is smoldering out, and the vermin look ready to move on.
>Approach with soldiers
>Approach yourself, with the soldiers waiting on the hill
>Attack
>>
>>1682875
or
>Let them leave, do nothing but watch
>>
>>1682875
>Approach with soldiers
>>
>>1682875
>>Approach with soldiers
Let's make it plain the lands are taken.

Kudos on doing a Redwall quest, and the villainous perspective at that! Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
>>
>>1682921
>>1682928

You start down the hill, and the the soldiers follow, spreading out along the leafy ground. The vermin notice you, and quickly draw up. It only takes them a moment to see you are better armed than them.
"Who leads you," You say, coming to a stop before them. They're all standing haphazardly throughout their camp, hands on weapons and eyes on you and your soldiers.
"I do," A rat says, moving out from the group. He's unusually small for a rat, but you see he has knives draped about him like medallions. "I'm Fourfangs," He says. "And I'm leading a scouting party for Drakkold the Sly, King of the Eastern Hills and Slayer of Gentlebeasts,"
"Well he will not be doing any slaying west of this river," You say, baring a tooth. "These are the lands of Whitenort, and they fall under the protection of Undred Bloodfur. Furthermore," You lean in close to the rat's face. "Your "King" wouldn't last four days in these lands, so I suggest you head back to him and report this is as far west as he gets,"
"Well," Fourfangs says, scratching the back of his head. "The way I see it is, me and my gang are about even in numbers with your gang, maybe more. And sure you have weapons and all that shiny metal, but me and the boys here have been through more scraps then a lowtail-otter."

>Kill them where they stand
>Try and get them to leave, diplomatically
>>
>>1682945
>Kill them where they stand
>>
>>1682945
>"The way I see it is, me and my gang are about even in numbers with your gang, maybe more."
"Once you're dead, how many more will come?"
>>
>>1682949
>>1682966

"As many as it takes," Fourfangs says, smiling.
"Kill them!" You yell, drawing your sword. No sooner have the words left your mouth then the fox soldier lets loose an arrow. It whistles past your head and rocks a weasel back off his feet. The Kirotr soldiers and the vermin clash, spears, swords and clubs flailing about. The vermin band is indeed experienced, but the Kirotr soldiers are trained, and drive their spears in repeatedly. You face off against Fourfangs. He has drawn three of his knives. A long one he holds in his left paw, and two smaller ones he juggles in his right.
"I see you fancy yourself good with knives," you say, leveling your sword at him.
"Not good," The rat says, smiling. "Brilliant,"
He shoots in, almost faster then you can react. One of the knives swings out at your right, the other comes in for your face. You bring your sword up to your face and sidestep left. The knife bounces off your blade and the two of you stumble. You turn around lashing out with your sword. Fourfangs has already rolled away and rears back to throw one of the knives. You charge forward, sword raised. Fourfangs throws his knife. You feel it embed in your shoulder as your bring your sword down. Fourfangs deflects your sword with his knife, but your momentum is too powerful. You break past the knife and leave a large gash across Fourfang's chest and stomach. He screeches, falling back. You pause, straightening up and tearing the knife from your shoulder. You look around. Fourfangs is on the ground, gripping his stomach. Your soldiers have gotten the best of the vermin. You quickly count three wounded of yours, and five dead. Only eight of the enemy vermin remain, and they have thrown down their weapons.

>Execute the lot of them, post their heads on stakes as a warning to any other scouting parties
>Let the remaining vermin and Fourfangs flee to spread the message, put the already-dead on stakes.
>>
>>1682979
Take Fourfangs and two others as captives. Kill three, and let the two most wounded go.

Objectives are
>Show them we mean business
>Secure a hostage
>Gain information about our enemy
>>
>>1682979
>Execute the lot
From the sound of it the eastern kingdom could be heading this way anyway, might as well send them a message
>>
>>1682987
>>1683017

You walk over to Fourfangs and grab one of his knifebelts, dragging him up from the ground. "Congratulations," You say through gritted teeth. "You've won an audience with the Undred Bloodfur in the dungeons." You start dragging the rat with you as you walk past your soldiers. "Kill the survivors," You say, your voice low.
Your soldiers get busy. Two kirotr rats quickly impale a pair of weasels, and four more soldiers approach the others. You toss Fourfangs at a stoat and the bowfox. "Tie him up," You say. You turn to the soldiers. "Get our wounded on stretchers, we're heading back to Kirotr,"
The deed is done. The dead vermin's heads are put on quickly-fashioned stakes, facing the east. You and your soldiers spend the next hour marching up along the eastern side of the river back north. The mountain rises up in the distance, and the towers of Kirotr appear as well. The gatehouse opens as you reach the walls.
"Hail, commander Blackfur!" The gatehouse guard calls down. You raise a paw briefly in acknowledgement. Inside the castle grounds are a group of soldiers practicing with spears. Petrik Redclaw is standing in front of the soldiers, surveying their drills. The Kirotr wildcat's fur, much like the others, is a smooth, silky white, and pokes out from under his chainmail. He turns as you enter past the gatehouse.
"Well well, if it isn't the Blackfur," He says, smiling in a way most unkind. "Decided to patrol out with the rabble eh?" Petrik spots the wounded and Fourfangs, and his face changes. "And I see you found trouble. What is that you drag back with you,"
You turn to the soldiers carrying Fourfangs. "Get him in a cell," You say, then turn back to Petrik. "Vermin band, east of the river. A hoard of some sort is moving around to the the far east."
"Hmm, one wonders if the commander of our army will be up to task," Petrik says.

>Engage in hostile banter with Petrik
>Engage diplomatically with Petrik
>Excuse yourself to the dungeon
>Excuse yourself to report to Lord Undred
>>
>>1683048
>Engage diplomatically with Petrik
Then
>Excuse yourself to report to Lord Undred
>>
quick break to run errands, addressing answers in an hour
>>
>>1683053
Seconding
>>
I didn't expect to see a Redwall quest today.

>>1683053
Thirding.
>>
>>1683053
>>1683064
>>1683196

"I will be more then capable," You say, drawing in your cloak. "The true question is, should this warlord ever make it this far west, is he prepared for what he will find?"
Petrik flashes you a knowing smile, still slightly unkind. "Of course," He says. "There is more then just the Bloodfurs to fear in Whitenort,"
You excuse yourself and head to the keep. Two soldiers heave inward on the doors, pushing them open. You wait, then stroll inside.
The interior smells of burners and scrubbed stone. Various she-vermin move about tending to the keep. The mates and children of the soldiers. You move past them as you cross the great hall, breezing past one more set of sentries and doors.
The next room is smaller, with a large hearth dominating one wall. The other walls are lined with scrolls and parchment. A large table occupies the center, with a map tacked onto the surface. Undred Bloodfur, Fick Bloodfur, and Benjamin Thintail the scholar mouse are all gathered.
"-and furthermore," Fick is saying, practically yelling at Benjamin. "I don't think the stores of reed-ale are the most pressing matter!"
"O-of course sir," Benjamin says, hiding behind a quill and a piece of parchment. "But if we run out, the garrison will be very...unreasonable,"
"Enough," Undred says, cutting off his son and the mouse. He motions at you. "Commander, good for you to join us. We were just going over the fall taxes,"
"Apparently they are lacking," Fick says, crossing his arms and glaring at Benjamin. "The gentlebeasts did not work hard enough this summer,"
"It was t-the drought m'lord," Benjamin says. "If the farmers cannot grow, it effects everyone from the river-families to Kirotr,"
"Aye, but if we went about the farms and riverhomes, smashing up pantries and breaking chairs, I'm sure we'd find some extra food soon enough!"
Undred bangs his fist on the table. "We are not some common vermin hoard! We are the Bloodfurs of Kirotr, and in exchange for food and craft we protect the gentlebeasts of this land," He narrows his eyes at his son. "As a future ruler of this land, you'd do well to remember. The winters are too harsh and the beasts too numerous to trounce about like a western searat." Undred turns to you. "Commander, I hear you went out with the patrol. What did you find,"
You tell him of the Bonebeak forrest, and then of the vermin band and the distant warlord,
"Hurmph," Undred says. "It's always something. You'd think the cold weather would put a damper on bloodshed and conflict," Undred stares at the map on the table, then taps east of the river. "I want more patrols east of the river, possibly our own scouting party to head east and find how close this warlord is,"
"And I will take a score of soldiers and inquire about the lack of taxes," Fick announces proudly.
Undred turns on him, about to say something, then decides against it. He nods at his son instead. "Go about it, but no brutish behavior. Simple questions will be enough,"
>>
You do your best not to snort. Left alone to his own devices, Fick will indeed be brutish, possibly even cruel.

>Accompany Fick on his inquest
>Go to Fourfangs in the dungeon
>>
>>1683383
>>Go to Fourfangs in the dungeon
Let Fick continue to disappoint his father. I hope the sister is higher calibre, or at least impressively psychotic.
>>
>>1683383
>Go to Fourfangs in the dungeon
>>
Ficks a cruel little boy. Can't change him yet if his father hasn't. For now we need info on this horde. Let's go see Fourfangs.
>>
>>1683383
>>1683383
Just letting you know, Lop.

Your writing is spot on. Love it so far. Feels almost like reading ol' Jaques books all over again. Hope we can keep this up or just finish the one-shot.
>>
>>1683417
>>1683435
>>1683596

You leave the Bloodfur's and the innerkeep, crossing the great hall and exiting through the large double doors. Once outside you take a moment to pause. Petrik is gone, as are the soldiers. There are still sentries on the walls, their spearpoints glinting in the sunlight. You leave the front of the keep and cross the yard. A single iron door occupies the wall. A rat and a fox stand guard, nodding as you approach and opening the door for you. You pass them, descending down a spiral staircase. Once at the bottom, you're greeted by a large rat leaning on a mace.
"Hail Commander," He says slowly, scratching at his stomach.
"Which one is the rat in,"
"New one?" The rat says.
"Yes," You say.
"Second one on the right," The rat says, motioning back with his thumb. You move on, entering into a dingy stone hall damp with the wetness of fall. Iron doors line the causeway. You move to the second one and unlatch a small door. It opens, and you peer into the cell.
"Fourfangs," You say into the darkness. "Make yourself known before I summon a guard,"
"I'm here you mangy cat," says a voice. "Opening me from shoulder to stomach wasn't enough? You've come to mock me,"
"You know why I've come." You say. You rake a claw along the window bars, watching yourself idly. "Tell me, and you won't have to scream it later when they bring in the hot irons,"
You hear the sound of fourfangs spitting. "What do you want to know whiskers,"
"How many in Drakkold's hoard," You say.
"Never learned to count," replies Fourfangs from the darkness.
"Does he have actual soldiers or do they resemble you and your "experienced" gang," You say.
"He's got some pine martins. Bet they'd rip your face off in a heartbeat,"
You sigh, stepping away from the bars. "Fourfangs. Your fate is up to you. I have no problem releasing you. I am not your jailer. The lands of Whitenort are, and neither you nor your sly king will last here,"
"So you say," Fourfangs says. You can practically hear the smile. "But ol' Drakkold has a way of always provin' em wrong," He starts laughing, and you shut the view door. You leave the hall, passing the massive rat on your way out. "Make sure the irons are extra hot," You say as you pass.
Once outside you take a deep breath. It is nearly dinner now, and the soldiers will be dining in the barracks. You could also join lord Ungred for dinner and the otherwildcats. Or you could explore Kirotr, or any of the riverhomes or farms before it gets dark
>>
>>1683739
thank you anon, good to have you aboard this adventure
>>
>>1683806
Let's eat with the men.
Seat yourself at the humblest position. The one who places himself high and is put back low is a fool.

We're good at we do and don't need high company. The lord has affirmed us enough with our rank. We just need to understand our men.
>>
>>1683846
Also what relevance does a Pine Marten have for us? It's a kind of weasel to my knowledge. They particularly fierce?
>>
>>1683846
I can agree with this.
>>
>>1683846
Supporting
>>
Quick break for irl responsibilities, resuming in a hour
>>
>>1683846
>>1683854
>>1683951

You think back to today's patrol, and how you fought alongside the soldiers you've trained. You turn to the barracks. Tonight you wish to dine with the vermin you shed blood with, not the noblecats who despise you. You cross the yard and enter the barracks. It is a large stone building, squat and wide. The sound of merriment and laughing greets you. The voices quiet as you stand in the doorway. A hundred and fifty vermin stare at you. You stare back.
"S'matter," You say, your voice low. "Cat got your tongue?" The vermin look uncertain. "Well if he ever let's go," You say, moving to the foodline. "Tell him to serve me a pint,"
The vermin smile, the tension broken. Your back is now to them as you peruse the pots full of meat stew and bread. The soldiers begin talking again, and the volume grows back to boasting and banter. You're just another hungry protector of Kirotr.
You fill two bowls and turn to scan the many heads. You spot a flash of orange. The bowfox, the one from the patrol, is sitting next to two rats and a stoat at a long wooden table. You move past the other tables full of vermin and squeeze in between the stoat, across from the fox.
"Commander," All the vermin nod at you.
"At ease," You say, tearing into a loaf of bread. You eat silently for a moment, staring at your soup. After a swig of ale, you meet the fox's gaze.
"What's your name, soldier," You say, taking another bite of bread.
"Pan," The fox replies. You stop chewing.
"Pan?"
"Yessir,"
You begin chewing again, thoughtfully. "You're good with a bow, Pan,"
"I do alright,"
"All of you," You say, looking at the two rats and the stoat. "Were you all on patrol today," They nod. "I imagine that was one of the first proper fights you've been in," Again the soldiers nod.
"What about you?" One of the rats says. He takes a long gulp from a tankard, burps, then sets it down with a loud thud. "You been in many battles commander sir?"
"A few," You say, chewing your bread and breaking off another piece. "I once fought the snowhares of the north,"
"Buncha crazies them," The stoat says. "Hear they disembowel they prisoners, then make em walk across the snow till they collapse. Call it the Red March,"
"Lies," You say. You lean back and spit on the floor in-between the benches. "Snowhares don't take prisoners. They kill you quick, then move along like they were never there,"
The vermin visibly shudder. "Glad they stay north of here," One of the rats says.
"For now," You say. You finish off your bowl of stew, then your ale. You set down the bowl and look at Pan. "Keep practicing with that bow, I might take you on into my personal circle,"
The doors to the barracks swing open, and a Ferret rushes in. He spots you and weaves through the tables until he reaches you. The ferret puts his hands on his knees, heaving. When he straightens up, you recognize him. Linto, Fick's personal lackey.
>>
"Commander Blackfur sir," The ferret says. "It's Fick sir, it's bad. He's having a hell of a time over at the Sooter place, accusing them of all sorts of misdeeds and betrayals. I think he's hard on the dandywine sir, if you don't get over there, there's going to be trouble,"

>Let Fick do his worst
>Go to the Sooter place immediately
>Go, bring a few soldiers with you
>>
>>1685478
Need soldiers to carry the drunk man back
>>
>>1685478
>>
>>1685494
>>1685570

You stand.
The Sooter family is Whitenort's sole connection to southern Mossflower. The large shrew clan makes frequent trips down the river, trading news and goods with otter tribes, shrew clans, and any other gentlebeasts along the river.
"Pan, with me," You say. You size up the two rats and the stoat. "You three as well," They comply, downing their drinks and standing. The five of you follow Linto out the barracks and into the evening air. It's night now, the sun fully set and the stars twinkling above. You grab torches at the gate, passing them out and then lighting them. The group then walks through the gatehouse and into Whitenort beyond. You trek along a well-worn road leading south along the river. After a time spent hurrying your torches through the darkness, you come to the beginning of a clutch of threes. The Thintail home comes into a view, a spacious property with garden plots. You pass it quickly, rounding a bend in the forested path and encountering the Booro family land. There are several mound homes dotted about the trees, with bits of pottery and woodwork resting half-finished on the grounds. Again you pass it, and continue on down the road. You see lights ahead, and hurry your group along.
You encounter the Sooter property, a collection of huts and larger dwellings along the river edge. There are several rafts moored to the riverbank. Directly in front of you is a gathering of soldiers, torches held high. The fire illuminates the huts in fleeting shadows, and a group of seven Sooters huddled together in fear. In front of them paces Fick. He has his trident held out, and is gesturing wildly with it. In his other hand is a waterskin.
"Where is it? Where are you hiding the goods?!" Fick yells. He leans back and shouts into the night air. "Traitorssss!"
You push past the soldiers. They hardly move, entranced by the sight of Fick storming back and forth.
"Where is the fine ale!" Fick pauses to yell at the huddled shrews. "I know you have it! You bring it from the south and hide it away in your cellars!"
You approach Fick, calling out to him. "Fick," You say, putting a hand to his shoulder. He spins on you, his eyes wild.
"Blackfur!" He yells. "You're just in time brother! I'm about to reveal these shrews for what they are, thieves and subverters!"
"Fick," You say. You put your arm around Fickle and guide him away from the shrews. "It's too dark out to do a proper search, let's return in the daylight,"
"But the shrews!" He says, pointing back at the huddled family. "We have to jail them! Throw them in chains!"
"I'll take care of it," You say, gently prodding him towards the soldiers. "You lot!" You call to them. "Get him back to Kirotr, if a hair falls I'll skin the lot of you!"
"S'right he will!" Fick says, jabbing his trident in the air. "My brother Blackfur, and he stands with me!" The wildcat pauses to jab the air several more times in triumph. "Long live the Bloodfurs!"
>>
>>1685610
>>1685610
Huh. Fick is a friendly AND angry drunk. Who would have guessed?
>>
>>1685610
Eagerly awaiting the choices.
>>
"Yes yes," You say, patting his back. "Long live the Bloodfurs," You push him forward again to get him moving. The soldiers collect him, supporting the Kirotr lordling between two large soldiers. You watch them go, as does Pan and the others you pulled from the barracks. You catch sight of Linto. The two of you share a look, and you know the ferret will get Fick home safely.
One they round the bend you turn to the shrew family. "Who's eldest," You call.
A she-shrew steps forward, holding a baby to her hip. "I am sir,"
"Your name," You say, peering down at the shrew.
"Penelope,"
"Where's your father Penelope,"
"Pa's down the river trading with the otter tribes,"
You nod, then reach into your tunic. You pull out a drawstring bag, opening it and rummaging around inside. You produce a red ruby that glints in the torchlight. You inspect it, then take Penelope's hand and place the ruby in her paw.
"Let's not have your father hearing about this little incident, understood?"
Penelope nods, clutching the ruby to her chest. You turn, signaling your soldiers. They fall into step behind you. You and your group head back north, towards Kirotr, and the end of an eventful day.
>>
I wasn't able to post as much as I wanted tonight, but I'll be resuming the quest tomorrow 10 central time. Thank you questers, love that there's some redwallers on this board
>>
File: Cluny the Scourge.jpg (143KB, 1280x925px) Image search: [Google]
Cluny the Scourge.jpg
143KB, 1280x925px
>>1685641
Thanks for running tonight!
>>
>>1685641
Thanks for running OP
I don't even know what Redwall is lol
>>
>>1685629
>redwall vermin quest

neato, haven't read any Redwall in over a decade. Will be getting in on it tomorrow.
>>
>>1683853
Probably, although Wildcats were dangerous as hell in the books.
>>
It is the first snow. It falls in clumps, releasing from the overcast sky and trailing down to the soft earth. You watch from the battlements. It has been one week since you encountered the vermin scouting party. Lord Undred has your soldiers patrolling farther east, but there has been no sign of Drakkold the Sly yet.
You pull in your cloak against the snow, and throw your hood up over your helm. There are several things that could be done this morning. You have Benjamin Thintail visiting the Blackpaw family to purchase weapons from the blacksmith badgers. You could accompany him. There is also the east river patrol, striking farther east then they have ever struck in search of any sign of Drakkold's alleged hoard. You could accompany them. There's also an incident with the Billow Family, the southern most hedgehog farmers, that you could go out and investigate.
>>
>>1686269
>Investigate the Billow Family.

Be sure to include greentext choices, or at least a >write-in so that people know when you've stopped writing.
>>
>>1686269
>>Investigate the Billow Family.
>>
>>1686269
>the east river patrol
>>
>>1686282
>>1686284

You leave the battlements, trotting down the stairs and walking across the yard. Waiting for you are Pan the bowfox, the Rat brothers and Snaggletooth the Stoat. You've summoned them often of late, finding the soldiers to be marginally competent. Pan and the other soldiers in turn, have quickly adapted to their new roles.
"Where we going today commander?" Snaggletooth says, leaning on his spear. You breeze past him, the wind catching your cloak. Pan signals the others and they fall into step behind you.
"We're headed to the Billow farm," You say, passing under the gatehouse. Whitenort country stretches out before you. It is all white. The rive roars to your left, and you take a moment to breath in the crisp winter air.
"Well well, if it isn't the blackfur," a voice says.
Your tranquility is shattered. You open your eyes and glance to the side. Leaning against the wall are Petrik Redclaw and Eriff Feathertaker. The two wildcats are bare-chested, their white fur blending in with the snow around them. Both are holding onto their tridents.
"Goodness," You murmur, so only Pan can hear. "What have we stumbled upon," Pan does his best not to grin.
"Where you going blackfur," Eriff Feathertaker says, propelling himself from the wall and strolling towards you. "You and your rabble going to find some more trouble?"
Smiling that unkind smile, Petrik Redclaw joins Errif. They both lean on their tridents. "C'mon blackfur, give it up already, you're just playing at being whitenort-kin. And a commander of vermin at that,"
Both wildcats snicker.

>Answer diplomatically
>Answer insultingly
>>
>>1686296
>>Answer diplomatically
>>
>>1686296
>>Answer diplomatically
>>
>>1686296
>Answer diplomatically
>>
File: On the way to the Billows.jpg (286KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
On the way to the Billows.jpg
286KB, 1024x768px
>>1686300
>>1686316
>>1686322

"It's true," You say, wearing a small, fake smile. "I'm no northern born. But as long as the good Lord Bloodfur will have me as his army commander, I think I shall stay,"
You begin to move again, and your soldiers follow.
"Aye," Eriff calls after you. "And playing wet-nurse to his drunkard son!"
You ignore him, continuing southeast with your soldiers.

Records Scroll
The map shows the patrol you took east last week, including black stars for the camp site and the battle. The red line shows your current path on the way to the billow farm.

It is an endless sea of white. Distant trees serve as landmarks, for without them you could easily get lost. It takes the better part of the day to reach the Billow property. You finally spot their distant fields at noon. They are empty fields of course, and covered in snow. You pass them. All your soldiers are now miserable and tired, including yourself. You make a beeline for the large house, coming to a stop at the front door and knocking loudly.
"Commander Blackfur, Kirotr army!" You say. You here rustling around inside. A large, homely looking hedgehog opens the door.
"S-sir?" he says, looking up at you. It takes you a moment to realize you've probably terrified the family. You put a paw to your face and take a moment. Finally you look back down at the hedgehog.
"I apologize for disturbing you," You say, doing your best to smile. "But I understand there was an incident here? Something rather troublesome? I'm here to investigate,"
The hedgehog stares at you in uncertain terror.
"He's here to help," Pan says, peering around you at the hedgehog. The hedgehog looks from you, to Pan, then slowly nods.
"Sure sure," He says. "I'm Tom Billow, please, come in,"
You and your soldiers shuffle into the home, knocking your boots on the doormat.
"Is there anything I can get you?" Tom Billow says, leading the five of you into the house.
"Ale would be good," You say, removing your gloves and looking around the house. "And some cheese,"
"Of course, of course," Tom Billow says, ducking his head and moving towards the kitchen. You sit down in a living room of sorts, but your soldiers remain standing.
"Sit," You say. Your soldiers sit down on the floor, letting out sounds of relief and exhaustion. Tom returns with tankards and a wooden plate of cheese. He passes them out, and you chug greedily at the tankard. Your soldiers to the same. You are all beat from the trek. You finish your mug, set it down and wipe your whiskers.
"Now then," You say, leaning forward in your chair. "What seems to be the problem,"
"Well," Tom says, wringing his hands. "Last night, whilest we were getting ready for bed, I hears a noise in the yard," The hedgehog looks nervous, his quills lying flat against his back. "So's I grab my rake and take a look-see outside." The gentlebeast suddenly breaks into tears. "And my youngest dibbon Marion done poked her head out too,"
>>
"And something snatched her from the darkness and dragged her into the night!" Tom is sobbing uncontrollably. You motion with your head at Snaggletooth, who stands awkwardly and moves over to Tom.
"There there," Snaggletooth says, patting the hedgehog's back. "Let it alllll out,"
The hedgehog tries his best to hold back his tears, sniffing loudly. "There's something in the southwest hills. I've been hearing strange singing, and lights as well! I just know a monster took her!"
"Now hold on," You say, rising. "If I might have a word with my men outside."
Your men do not look eager to leave the warm farmhouse, but they rise none the less. Outside the five of you grasp tightly to your cloaks and stand in a tight circle.
"Well?" You say. "What do you think?"
"C'mon," One of the rat brothers says. "We're all thinking it. It's the damned Rakka squirrel clans. They're a fierce-some lot."
"Nahh," Snaggletooth says. "But what if there's a monster in the southwest hills? Always beena barren place,"
"We could always search the farm property first," Pan says, blowing warm air into his paws.

>Explore towards the Rakka Tan Squirrel Kingdom
>Explore towards the southwest hills
>Search the property
>>
>>1686334
>Search the property
A full sweep of the area, with his permission, can go a long way.
>>
>>1686334
>Search the property with his permission
>>
>>1686334
>>Explore towards the southwest hills
>>
>>1686336
>>1686342
>>1686350

"Split up," You say. "Search the property,"
While your soldiers fan out, you take a moment to view the surrounding country. It is white fields and distant green for as far as the eye can see. You finally spot another of the Billow family, two small hedgehogs chasing each other in the distance. You watch them at play, wondering how they can run so freely while their sibling is missing.
"Sir," You turn your head and spot Pan beside you. "Tracks lead southwest, towards the hills,"
"How many," You say, staring back out at the distant hedgehog children.
"Not vermin sir," Pan says. "Nor gentlebeast. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it was a snake,"
"Impossible," You say. "We're too far north. Where there any other tracks?"
"None sir, and we didn't find her hiding in any of the storehouses we checked,"
You look briefly at your soldiers milling about the farm. "Get over here," You yell at them. They trot over to you. "We're following southwest towards the hills. Keep your eyes peeled,"
You move as a group and leave the farm. As you head farther south, the snow becomes less soft and more dirty. You're in the tip of hillcountry now, the edge of Whitenort. After some more marching the tracks lead down into a valley. You and your soldiers abruptly stop.
In the valley are several large tents with colorful streamers adorning their sides. There are all manner of beasts walking around among the tents, and strange colors that confuse you.

>Approach the tent and the beasts with authority
>Stealthy Approach
>>
>>1686366

>Stealthy Approach
>>
>>1686366
>>Stealthy Approach
>>
>>1686367
>>1686368

You signal Pan to take the rat brothers around the left side, and you and Snaggletooth begin edging around the right. In the center the beasts continue to move and work. There is shouting and laughter, and some yelling. You can make out squirrels and mice, moles and hedgehogs. Your eyes narrow as you spy several hares. They are not the fierce snowhares of the north, but have a wider variety of colors in their fur.
"They're all gentlebeasts sir," Snaggletooth says. "Wearing strange garments,"
"Doesn't mean they're not dangerous," You say, peering over a rock. "The Rakka Tan squirrels fit that description, and they could massacre us if they wanted too,"
Your instincts however tell you this camp is not a warriors band. Far from it in fact, it is some sort of, festival? You cannot make heads or tails of them.

>Leave, head back to Kirotr
>Approach the camp leader
>Do a stealthy search for the missing dibbon
>>
>>1686374
>>Approach the camp leader
>>
>>1686374

>Do a stealthy search for the missing dibbon
>>
>>1686377
Seconding
>>
>>1686377
>>1686382

You edge back around, meeting up with Pan and the rat brothers. "You three search the camp," You say, pointing at Pan and the rats. "Be hidden and silent,"
You signal Snaggletooth, and the pair of you walk down into the valley. The beasts notice you as you near the camp. They also notice your heavy cloaks, helm, and snaggletooth's spear.
"Who's the leader here," You call out. An old hare with a bushy mustache comes forward, wearing a large red coat.
"Greetings, greetings," The hare says, bowing deeply. "I am Reginald Tibbercus, leader of this fine trope of gentlebeasts,"
"I'm commander Blackfur," You say. "Leader of the Kirotr army of Whitenort,"
"Whitenort?" Reginald says, he ear twitching. "Haven't heard of it,"
"It's the northern lands over this hill," You say, motioning back the way you came. "But I'm not here for mapmaking. There's a missing farmer's dibbun somewhere around here, a hedgehog girl. Have you seen here?"
"Have I seen her?" Reginald says, raising an eyebrow. Be begins drumming the ground with his foot. "Have I SEEN HER?" He says, continuing to drum the ground. You and Snaggletooth share a look of confusion. Reginald suddenly stops drumming and crosses his hands behind his back. "I have indeed,"
Suddenly two gentlebeasts appear, the farmer dibbun held up in the air between them. Reginald leaps over to them, landing and throwing out his hands.
"TA-DAAAA!" The gentlebeasts in the camp look at you expectantly. You blink. Snaggletooth coughs.
"So this mean there's no monster?" Snaggletooth says.
"No," You say, gritting your teeth. "Just a bunch of loons,"
"This pour hedgehog found our camp while riding her sled in the night," Reginald said. The dibbun is set down, and the hedgehog begins laughing and clapping. "We took her in for the night, and intended to look for her parents in the morning,"
"Well we'll take care of that now," You say, bending down. "C'mon child, come with me now, we're going back to your parents,"
The dibbun stares at you wide-eyed. You again remember that you're a fierce-looking wildcat in a helm and heavy cloak. Reginald clears his throat.
"Say, you look like you're rather fancy chaps,"
"Hm?" You say, turning on the hare.
"The cloaks, the helms, the spear. Most vermin are dirtying then a bog, but you fellows look rather well taken care of. Might I presume you come from a castle of some sorts?"
"Kirotr," You reply.
"Ahhh," The hare says, nodding. "And who is the lord of this castle?"
"Undred Bloodfur," You say. "Grandson of Vandal Bloodfur." You turn back to the dibbun and try and coax her over.
"Well then, if I may be so bold," Reginald continues. "Invite us back to your lord, and we will entertain you as you have never been entertained!"
You give up trying to get the dibbun to come to you and straighten up. You stare at Reginald, then at the surrounding gentlebeasts in strange and colorful garb.

>Invite them back to Kirotr
>Decline, simply take the hedgehog child back
>>
>>1686395

> Decline, simply take the hedgehog child back
>>
>>1686395
>Decline, stay a little while though
>>
taking a break to go to work, I'll address everyone's answers at 8 pm central tonight
>>
>>1686395
>>Invite them back to Kirotr
>>
>>1686395
>Decline, stay a little while though
>>
>>1686395
>>
>>1686395

I kind of want to see what happens.
>>
>>1686399
>>1686407
>>1686415
>>1686460
>>1686682
>>1686814

"What do you mean," You say. "Entertain?"
"We are musicians," Reginald says, motioning at the gentlebeasts behind him. "Actors and acrobats. We will jump and dance and sing until you are clapping along in delight,"
Again you and Snaggletooth share a look. You're not quite certain what Reginald and his tribe actually do, but you sense something in the air. An electric current that raises your whiskers.
"If you will do these things," You say. "Jump and dance and sing, and it does entertain Lord Bloodfur, you will be well-received," Your words come cautiously, as you have just spotted a mole painted completely white with red circles. "But if you are anything but what you say, or less then what you say," You tap the hilt of your sword.
"But of course," Reginald says, dipping low. "The Millhouse Music Trope has never disappointed,"
You whistle, and Pan and the rat brothers come out of hiding. "How long will it take you to pack up camp," You say to the hare in the red coat. Reginald claps loudly.
"Everyoneeeee," the hare says. "Be ready to move in ten minutes!"
You and your soldiers watch in amazement as the twenty or so gentlebeasts scatter about the camp. The tents collapse, the flags lower, carts are arranged in a line.
"Damn," Pan says, leaning on his bow.
"Hmm," You say. "If I could get the garrison to move like that we would be unstoppable,"
By the time the trope finishes they've neatly packed up the entire camp in four carts. The entertainers line up, picking up ropes attached to the carts, and begin pulling them.
"Let's go," You say. You and your soldiers move along with the head of the trope, Reginald.
"So," The hare says, marching in an exaggerated manner at the head of his caravan. "May I ask what this castle Kirotr is like?"
"It's big enough to shelter all the inhabitants of Whitenort from talon and beak," You say. "Four towers, a wall, and a good keep,"
"Hm very good, very good," Reginald says, twitching his nose. "And the inhabitants?"
You can't help but smile a bit. "Wildcats," You say. "And a good number of vermin,"
"Ah," Reginald says, slowing, then speeding back up. "Well then, what do you want with this hedgehog child?"
You glance at the hare sideways. The question sounded innocent enough. The hare seems to be simply curious. "Things are a bit different in Whitenort," You say. "We are the protectors of the land, and this child was lost. We're returning her,"
"Hurmph," The hare says, nodding. "How noble of you,"
Again you glance at him from the corner of your eye, but Reginald looks genuine. "Now let me ask you a question," You say. "You've been all over Mossflower?"
"Most certainly," Reginald says. "From the western isles to Salamandastron, from Redwall Abbey to the southlands. And now I suppose," He says, looking at you. "To Castle Kirotr in Whitenort!"
"Have you heard of a Drakkold the sly?" You say.
"Hm," Reginald strokes an ear of his. "No,"
>>
You turn back forward and simply resign yourself to marching. You pass the Billow far, reuniting Tom Billow with his daughter. The whole Billow family gathers in the front yard to watch the entertainer trope pass behind you.
"What's going on Commander Blackfur sir?" Tom Billow asks, holding his daughter up on his shoulders.
"It's a...," You gesture vaguely in the direction of the carts. "You know, they dance and sing,"
"Oh," Tom Billow says.
"And you are invited for the night of your livessss!" Reginald calls over from his cart. Tom Billow looks at you, and you shrug.
"Perhaps," You say.
You and trope continue on. The sun is now setting in the sky, casting the snow in streaks of orange and shadow. You finally reach castle Kirotr as it begins to dip below the horizon.
"Hail!" The gatehouse guard calls. "Hail! Commander Blackfur and company!"
The gates open, and you pause. "Wait out here," You say to Reginald.
Once inside you see Ungred Bloodfur and Fick in the yard with Moloc Feathertaker.
"Commander," Ungred says. "You've brought quite the company with you,"
You suddenly feel a little foolish. You're at a loss for words, until three red balls land in the snow in front of you. You cock your head in confusion, and suddenly Reginald has landed beside you.
"Whoopseedopsee!" Reginald exclaims. "Dropped my balls," He scoops them from the snow and begins juggling them. You turn on the hare, livid. You specifically told him to wait outside. You're in the process of releasing your claws when you hear a deep, hearty laugh. You turn. You, Fick and Moloc are all watching as Ungred Bloodfur cracks up.
"Yes!" The wildcat lord says, wiping away tears. "Yes, wonderful commander! I have not seen such a traveling trope since I was a wee one. Marvelous! We'll host them tonight in the innerkeep,"
"And perhaps," Reginald says, juggling the balls. "You could invite the gentlebeasts as well? I've heard you protect many of them in these lands, and we at the Millhouse Music Trope desire to uplift and bring joy to everyone!"
"No!" Fick says. "Absolutely not! Keep the weakbeasts out in the fields and the river banks. We're not inviting them in here!"

>Support Fick, no gentlebeasts at the performance tonight
>Support Reginald, invite the gentlebeasts to the performance tonight
>>
>>1687715
>>Support Reginald, invite the gentlebeasts to the performance tonight

hearts and minds
>>
>>1687723
Seconding
>>
>>1687715
>Support Reginald, invite the gentlebeasts to the performance tonight
>>
>>1687715
>Support Reginald, invite the gentlebeasts to the performance tonight.

Like we're picking anything else.
>>
>>1687723
>>1687727
>>1687749
>>1687770

You think back to Tom Billow, and his daughter. To Penolope Sooter and the shrews. "Commander," Ungred says. "Were you planning on inviting the gentlebeasts?"
"I was actually," You say. "I think it'd be good for everyone, and if we can get ahold of Benjamin Thintail we can probably drum up some extra drink and food."
"Hmrm," Ungred says. "Yes, very good. Send out messengers, invite the gentlebeasts. There will be a show tonight in the great hall,"
"Ridiculous!" Fick says, stomping at the ground. "I won't be there, I won't share the keep with weak beasts!"
"Fine fine," Ungred says, walking away back towards the keep. Moloc follows. Fick storms off in the opposite direction. You find some soldiers.
"Go out and invite all the gentlebeasts to a feast tonight in the keep," You say. "Everybeast is invited," You stare the soldiers in the eye. "everybeast,"
Hours later the innerkeep is packed. Two hundred vermin soldiers and their mates. Every family in Whitenort. Stoats, mice, shrews and rats. Hedgehogs and ferrets, all packed together at tables. Even Barn Blackpaw, the badger blacksmith, and his daughter Brinn Blackpaw are here.
Benjamin Thintail did indeed find extra food and drink. Lemon brandy and dandy-wine, nut-ale and slog. Soups, fish and vegetables line the table.
The center of the innerhall has been cleared. Reginald and his trope set up there. You scan the crowd. You spy Ungred sitting at his head table, with his daughter Lisinna sitting next to him. Against the wall leans Fick Bloodfur, present and already drunk. Next to him stands Bilth Onepaw and Garrum Manyeyes. At one of the tables, Pan, Snaggletooth and the rat brothers sit. Unsurprisingly, none of them have mates.

>Approach Ungred and Lisinna
>Approach Fick, Garrum and Bilth
>Sit with Pan and the others
>Sit with one of the gentlebeast families, other vermin or wildcats
>>
>>1687833
>>Approach Fick, Garrum and Bilth

Lets try and liven Fick up some
>>
>>1687833
>>Approach Fick, Garrum and Bilth
Gotta look after our brother. Hopefully he won't make a scene.
>>
>>1687833

Surely we can get him to chill the fuck out.
>>
>>1687833
Yeah, fick doesnt nees to be such a, well, dick.
>>
>>1687855
>>1687869
>>1687879
>>1687916

You weave through the crowded tables, the babble of voices echoing around the arched ceiling. Reginald and his trope are now testing drums and stringed instruments, as well as stretching. You reach the far wall and side up to Fick.
"Brother!" Fick yells. His voice, although loud, is drowned out by the vermin and gentlebeast gathered at the tables. "This is your fault! You invited these, these, weak!" Fick spits. "Weak beasts into these great walls!"
"Garrum," You say, nodding at Garrum Manyeyes. "Bilth,"
Garrum and Bilth return the nod. "Blackfur," They say. You turn to Fick.
"My good brother," you say, easing his wineskin from his hand. "It's time you stopped hogging all the wine, and left some for the rest of us,"
"Plenty of wine!" Fick says, pointing at you. "Benjamin Thintail hid it all! Him and the Sooters!"
"It's a conspiracy," You say, throwing an arm around Fick's shoulder. You finish off the wineskin and toss it to Bilth, who hides it away from Fick.
"What do you think," Fick says. "What do you think these stupid painted beasts are going to do huh? Brother? What do you think they're going to do?" Fick spits again. "Not make us laugh, no,"
"Attentionnnnn," Reginald says, standing up on a red painted platform. "Attentionnnnnnn," Drums beat and strings are plucked. The babble in the great hall dies down. "Good beasts of Whitenort," Reginald says, bowing low on the platform. "Thank you, one and all, for having us here this evening. Especially, to your great lord and protector, Ungred Bloodfur!"
Everyone in the room claps, and Ungred nods. "Tonight," Reginald continues. "We of the Millhouse Music trope will regale you with song and dance the likes of which you have never seen!"
The room is silent, unsure and confused by the hare. Reginald seems to pick up on this, and smiles. "Gentlebeasts and vermin, may I present, The Nimple Nibba Sisters!"
Three squirrels flip into the air, landing in the center of the performance space. The audience leans in. One of the sisters produces a torch. The other two begin sprinting around her. The sister with the torch lights it and picks up a large, metal hoop. She touches the torch to the hoop, and the metal ring goes up in flames. The crowd gasps. The sister with the flaming metal hoop holds it above her, and her sisters begin sailing through it. The crowd is captivated, then bursts into large bouts of cheering and whistles.
"See?" You say, nudging Fick. "It's fun,"
"Yeah yeah," Fick says. His face is scrunched up. He's staring at his father, Ungred, and his sister Lisinna. The bloodfur lord is laughing, and Lisinna wears a polite smile. "Look at em," Fick says. "All prim and proper. Comes so easy to them,"
"Come easy to you if you didn't drink so much," You say. A passing mousegirl holds a tray of dandy-wine. Fick tries to grab two goblets, knocking over one. "Okay okay," You say, picking up the mouse girl and setting her away from Fick.
>>
"Look," You say, taking one goblet from the tray. You pour a little out and pass it to Fick. He snatches it from your hand. "I know it's hard and all," You say.
"Ah go sit on a spear," Fick says, downing the goblet. "You know Da, you know what he's like. Small wonder I drink like this!"
"Small wonder my ass!" You say, punching him lightly. "Take some responsibility!"
"Okay Da!" Fick says defiantly. "Winters above you can be a drag sometimes,"
"Alright," You say, throwing up two paws. "Alright, I know that was a bit, far,"
"S'right it was," Fick says, holding his winegoblet upside down and peering inside for extra droplets.
"Attentionnnnnnn," Reginald says, standing in the center. The Nibba sisters are leaving to thunderous applause. A lone ottermaiden stands in the ring. "For this next trick," Reginald says, motioning at the ottermaid. "I will need a volunteer!"

>Volunteer yourself
>Volunteer Fick
>Let someone else go
>>
>>1687968
>>Volunteer yourself
>>
>>1687968
>Volunteer yourself
Oh hell, may as well.
>>
>>1687968
>Volunteer yourself.

Oh boy.
>>
>>1687990
>>1687993
>>1688013

The mouse-maid tries to edge her way past Fick again. He lunges at her tray of wine, and you stand up to hold him back. Suddenly Reginald spots you.
"Ah yes, you there!" Reginald says. "The chap standing up!"
All eyes turn on you. You narrow yours, fighting the impulse to bark at everyone. Pan and Snaggletooth hold their fists in the air. "Commander Blackfur!" They yell. The rat brothers hold up their tankards. "Whoooooo Commanderrrrrr!"
The rest of the Kirotr soldiers are quick to join in. "Blackfur! Blackfur! Blackfur!"
You throw up your paws and begin walking towards the center. The soldiers cheer, and Reginald bows.
"Wonderful wonderful," The hare says. "You'll be perfect."
You catch a glimpse of the wildcats sitting around Undred and Lisinna. Eriff, Petrik and Seredge are all watching you with thinly veiled disgust. The others are sitting in shadow. You reach the center.
"Ahhhh yesss," Reginald says, his voice swelling above the cheering in a way only a trained professional could muster. "The leader of the Kirotr army, Commander Blackfur!"
Again the soldiers cheer, the gentlebeast families clapping as well. "May I introduce you to my young ottermaid friend?" Reginald says, beckoning you towards the otter. "Her name is Cass, and she is the greatest shot with any weapon Mossflower has ever seen!"
The crowd ooohhhhs and ahhhsssss. You cock your head, sizing the ottermaiden up. She stares back at you, seemingly innocent enough.
"But, since she is good with everything," Reginald continues, "we'll let commander Blackfur here decide her weaponnnnnn,"
The crowd cheers. Reginald brings out a bow and arrows, a sling and stones, a javelin and a hammer.

>Pick the bow
>Pick the sling
>Pick the Javelin
>Pick the hammer
>Pick something else
>Decline
>>
>>1688072
>Pick the Javelin
>>
>>1688072
>Pick the Sling
>>
>>1688072
>Pick the sling
>>
>>1688072
>>Pick the hammer
>>
>>1688085
>>1688087
>>1688133
>>1688136

Your hand hovers over the javelin, then the hammer, then the sling. You settle on the sling. The crowd oohs. You walk the sling over to Cass, setting it and the stones in her outstretched paw.
"Mighty brave little she-otter," You say. She does not reply, simply watching you with deep, brown eyes. You turn and walk to the center. Reginald hands you an apple. "If you would be so kind, commander, to toss this apple in the air?"
You hear a whirring sound, and turn to see Cass has started spinning the sling. It twirls effortlessly, as if she is merely stretching. You look at the crowd, who are practically on the edge of their seats. The apple flies into the air, and Cass lets the stone fly. You hear a strong popping noise, then the apple explodes. A bit of it gets on your whiskers, which you promptly brush off. The crowd erupts into cheering and whistles.
>>
You make your way back to the wall, amidst applause and cheering. "Ahh wait Commander, you lingered over the hammer and the javelin." Reginald says. "Wouldn't you like to see a real trick?"
You pause, and turn back towards the hare in the big red coat. "What kind of trick," You say. The gentlebeasts and vermin cheer.
"Please," Reginald says, motioning you back to the center. You walk back over, eyeing Cass out of the corner of your eye. She watches you, as quiet and plain as ever. Reginald hands you two apples, and motions for you to hold them up. The hare then brings the hammer and javelin over to Cass. The ottermaid grabs the hammer, then the javelin. The audience is silent, and curious. She takes a step towards you, delicate, purposeful, then another. She takes a third step, then leaps into the air and twirls. The javelin launches from her twirling form. You feel it breeze past your head, impaling the apple and taking it from your hand. A moment later the hammer follows, twirling as a dark blur and knocking the apple from your hand. Both apples and weapons hit the far wall, clattering harmlessly to the floor. The audience is silent for a beat, then beats the tables hooting and hollering.
>>
Reginald grabs your hand and Cass's, and helps you both bow. The gentlebeasts and soldiers continue to clap. "Blackfur! Blackfur! Blackfur!"
"I want to see the blackfur try!" A voice rings out. The gentlebeasts and vermin recognize it as the voice of a wildcat, and quiet down. All eyes turn to the lords table, where Petrik Redclaw is standing. He looks down at you with a wide smile.
"The othermaid is good!" Petrik says. "But our commander is better, no?" The soldiers nod, some beating on the table with their tankards. "So let's see Blackfur hit an apple from her head! And she get's to pick the weapon!"
The vermin soldiers mull this over, then find it is indeed worthy of cheers and applause. The gentlebeast families shrug, joining in with clapping.

>Decline, go back to the wall and Fick
>Accept the challange
>>
>>1688245
This is dangerous
>Accept the challenge
>>
>>1688245
>Accept the challange
Lets hope our training pays off.
>>
>>1688245
>>Decline, go back to the wall and Fick
>>
>>1688245
>Accept the challange

We better not miss.
>>
>>1688251
>>1688256
>>1688259
>>1688279

"Well miss Cass," You say, your voice low, heard only between you and her. "It seems I'll have to ask you to trust me,"
She looks you in the eye, nods, and points to the bow and arrow. A slow smile creeps at the corner of your mouth. The soldiers and gentlebeast chant and beat on the table as you take your place on the opposite end of the center space. Cass stands on the other side, balancing an apple perfectly atop her head. You place an arrow to the string, then slowly draw it back.

>On the Other Side of the Room
"Oh winters above," Fick says to Bilth Onepaw. "You don't think he's going to do the sneeze trick do you,"
"It looks like it Fick," Bilth replies.
"Oh hells Blackfur not the sneeze trick," Fick says. "You dumb cat, tell him Bilth tell him he's dumb YOU'RE DUMB BLACKFUR"

You scrunch up your nose, as if a bit of dust has just disturbed it. You lean your head back. "Ah!" You draw the bowstring out. "Ahhhh!" You rear back further, about to sneeze. "Ahhhhhhh!" You lean as far back as you can, the drawstring pulled taunt. The audience's eyes are nailed to you, unblinking. You crack open an eye, and wink at Cass. "Choo!" You snap forward, releasing the bowstring. The arrow flies through the air. The apple explodes.
>>
File: 1465790655396.jpg (91KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1465790655396.jpg
91KB, 612x612px
>>1688325
>"Oh hells Blackfur not the sneeze trick," Fick says. "You dumb cat, tell him Bilth tell him he's dumb YOU'RE DUMB BLACKFUR"
>>
Cass wipes bits of core from her ear. The crowd cheers, some of the soldiers leaping on the tables and throwing their tankards about. Ungred Bloodfur is nearly having a laughing fit at the lord's table. Fick is beating on the wall, cheering and tossing anything he can get his hands on. You wave, go over and take Cass's hand, and bow with her, before weaving back to the wall. You clasp hands with Fick and accept a tankard of ale.
The rest of the night is spent with song and dance. Moles somersault about as mice and voles strum instruments. The soldiers sing along with the gentlebeasts to well-known Mossflower harvest songs. You drink yourself into a stupor, the evening blurring into warmth and comfort.
>>
That's all for tonight lads, thank you for questing with me, it's been a great adventure. Tune in tomorrow for Chapter 3: Drakkold the Sly
>>
>>1688349
This has been pretty cool so far, thanks for running tonight!
>>
File: FUCKING STOATS.jpg (99KB, 898x889px) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING STOATS.jpg
99KB, 898x889px
>>1688349
Thanks for running tonight, Lop!

Can't wait for the next one.
>>
>>1688349
Thanks for running op!
Sexy stoats when?
>>
>>1688375
>Sexy stoats when?
don't make it weird anon
>>
File: Kavatch.jpg (60KB, 800x473px) Image search: [Google]
Kavatch.jpg
60KB, 800x473px
>>1688607
It wasn't supposed to be weird, you just made it weird anon.
>>
You stand in your chambers. A ratmaid lights candles, bringing small glows of light to the room. It is early in the morning, and you have just received word from the night-patrol;
A vermin hoard has arrived.
You don your under-tunic, and the ratmaid helps you smooth it out before going over and retrieving your chain-mail. You stare at the stone wall and she navigates the chainmail snugly onto your body. You are as hungover as you thought you should be, but you are tired. The ratmaid finishes your chainmail and approaches you with your helm. You take it.
"That will be all, shelia," You mutter. You put on your helm, then buckle your sword belt. Finally you throw your heavy cloak around your shoulders.
Once outside the room you find Pan, Snaggletooth and the rat brothers waiting. They are all armed in armored in the colors and steel of Kirotr. "Where is the messenger," You say, walking past them. They fall in behind you.
"Innerchamber," Pan says. "All the wildcats have gathered,"
"Hmrph," You say. You descend a spiral staircase and walking into the great hall. Groups of vermin and gentlebeast are sprawled out on the tables, sleeping off the nights festivities. You pass them, entering into the smaller innerchamber beyond.
Undred Bloodfur, Ficklefang Bloodfur, Lisinna Bloodfur, Moloc, Eriff and Ullaysee Feathertaker, Bilth Onepaw, Tobbi and Seredge Hackles, Petrik Redclad and Kettum Snowfury are all gathered. They all wear the polished armor of the Kirotr wildcats, and brandish tridents.
"Good," Undred says as you enter. "We're all here." He rubs the bridge of his nose. "I know you've all heard, but a vermin hoard has appeared east of the river. They are currently camped, but we can assume they'll be on the move again by the afternoon, possibly sooner. The soldier here," Undred motions at a rat standing to the side. "Was unable to see numbers in the dark, but Captain Tearlip predicts at least three hundred, maybe more."
You nod, listening. "I'm taking suggestions now on how to approach this," Undred says. "I'll be sending on envoy at daylight, to try and convince this army not to come further. I think we can all safely assume it will fail,"

You approach the table and look at the map of Kirotr. Your eyes move east of the river as you think of what to advise Undred.

Current Forces:
Rats (57)
Stoats (41)
Weasels (49)
Ferrets (41)
Foxes (7)

You do not command the wildcats, only the Kirotr Army. The gentlebeasts will fight if necessary, but it is paramount you protect them or you will not last come next winter.

>Stay inside Kirotr, let the vermin hoard do what they will in the countryside, but make them come to us eventually
>Send out the Army, meet them on the field of battle
>Other
>>
I won't be able to respond till after my shift tonight around 9, maybe earlier, but I'll address answer then
>>
>>1689224
>Send out the army, meet them on the field of battle
>>
>>1689224

Tough call, on the one hand we're pretty outnumbered, and even if they're shit at battle they could take us down by sheer numbers.

On the other hand leaving them to ravage the countryside is both an insult to our arrangement of protection to the gentlebeasts, and an insult to the sovereignty of Kirotr.

We're going to have to play this smart, but the question is, how?

Personally I'd go for assasination, poisioning if possible. We don't need a fair fight, we just need them dead and/or running for the hills with their tails between their legs. Hell even getting them infighting to try and determine who's next in line would be worth it.
>>
>>1689224
>>Other
Set out immediately and attempt to steal a march on them, if we can keep the river between us it'll give our smaller numbers an advantage.
>>
I think we should strike their camp as soon as possible. Don't fight them if necessary but destroy their provisions and tents so they can't campaign properly.
>>
>>1689224
Raiding parties, we dont have the numbers, so we need to use every gorce multiplier we can get. Snipers all throughout the woods, parties sent just to destroy and burn their supplies, split them up with tempting prizes just to launch ambushes and fade into the night.

Strike and fade, go for leaders/officers. Disrupt the chain of command. morale damage may be key here.
>>
>>1689224
We can't let them out on the countryside, or they'll decimate the farms and gentlebeasts. A direct battle isn't advisable either because they've got the numbers advantage over us.

I think we should try to hit them fast and hard. Guerrilla warfare, and all. Our superior training and knowledge of the land should make that a favorable course action. After weakening them enough times, we can strike at their heart and drive them out.
>>
>>1689572
Seconding
>>
>>1689572
I don't think we really have the terrain for a proper guerilla fight, and even so it will allow them some measure of freedom to pillage.

Holding the river would allow a decisive action that is in our favor. Keep in consideration that well trained and well equipped vermin, never mind the core force of cats, would be able to hold against larger numbers of poorly equipped and ill trained vermin.
>>
>>1689705
any terrain is good for guerilla warfare, its all in the manner of use. any forested areas are better, fire attacks especially. open terrain can be used for hidden ditches, pits, traps, and sniper hides. All we have to do is draw them into prepared ground and whittle down numbers and morale. It would be best, but not essential, tnat we outnumber them at some point, but a big morale advantage will do a good bit of that work for us.

Our goal isnt even to kill them, necessarily, but destroy supplies, cripple soldiers, cause misdirection, amd spread them too far to be a huge threat. We know the land, our land, we will use every meter we can to deny our enemy.
>>
File: Battle Plans.jpg (282KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Battle Plans.jpg
282KB, 1024x768px
>>1689236
>>1689281
>>1689432
>>1689461
>>1689572
>>1689660
>>1689661
>>1689705
>>1689733

After much deliberation, raised voices and strong points, you and the other wildcats of Kirotr have drafted a strategy. You are sending the entire army out immediately, no envoy or attempts at diplomacy, and camping on the western side of the river. There you will send out your best skirmishers and archers to harass the enemy. You hope to draw them to the river, where you'll engage them as they try and cross the rapids. To better aid you in this, you've borrowed ten of Jaster Sooter's rafts and lassoed them together. They'll form makeshift bridges for your ambush forces to retreat across back to your main force. Hopefully the enemy will use them as well, crossing the river where your army is camped.
The gentlebeasts, led by Lisinna Bloodfur, will defend Kirotr. Even Reginald has offered his trope of performers to aid in the defense.

With these battleplans drawn, nearly two hundred Kirotr soldiers march out into the brisk, darkened morning. Their spearpoints pass under the gatehouse, their bootfalls muffled in the packed snow. You are at the head of the column, as well as twelve of the wildcats including Ungred and Fick. The wildcats are all adorned in fine plate armor, helms, heavy cloaks and tridents.
Any gentlebeasts who wasn't already in Kirotr are hurrying to there now. They pass you in twos and threes on their way to the castle. You have no torches to light your way, but the path is well known and the going easy.
You reach the spot you intend to set up your battle lines. The river roars in front of you. You select forty-five vermin skilled with bows, split them into three groups, and send them across the river. Then the rest of your soldiers begin tying together the Sooter rafts to construct the make-shift bridge.
The sun is now rising as you finish. You can see the breaths of nearly a hundred and fifty vermin as they stand around, sharpening spears and preparing for the battle. You're standing next to Snaggletoothe and the rat brothers. Pan has gone on ahead to ambush the enemy. Suddenly you hear distant horns.
"Our forces must have begun their harassment," You say. You look and find Pan is not beside you, but instead Snaggletooth. The stoat shrugs. "They'll be coming soon commander," He says.
"Aye," You say, "That they will," You turn to the Kirotr army. "CAPTAINS, BATTLE LINES NOW!"
The lashed boat-bridge is big enough for three vermin shoulder to shoulder to cross. It will only take a score of vermin with spears to defend it, while the rest can stand on the shore and release arrows onto the far side.
The soldiers are drawn up, their bows waiting. You and the others strain your eyes for the ambush parties. You finally see them.
About twenty of your soldiers runs towards the bridge. They're out of breath, and the horns sound louder behind them.
>>
The first couple of your retreating soldiers cross the bridge, sending the rafts dipping below the water and shaking the whole ensemble. Finally they all cross.
"I'm only counting twenty of you!" You shout to them as they make it to your side. "Where are the others?"
Captain Sliteye, in charge of one of the groups, shrugs. "Not sure captain, but we gave them hell! Like kicking a bees nest, they were so angry they had no idea what was going on!"
"How many where you able to kill!" You say, grabbing him by the shoulder. Sliteye shrugs.
"Fifty? Maybe more?"
You push him away and stare out at the far bank. You can see them now; the hoard. They're charging towards the river, almost within bow range.

>Command your forces from the back where the other wildcats are
>Command your forces on the bank of the river, where the archers are lined up
>Command your forces at the spearline at the end of the raft-bridge, in the thickest of the fighting
>>
>>1690345

though, if things look rough at the bridges, we can always join in the melee.
>>
>>1690345
>>
>>1690345
>Command your forces on the bank of the river, where the archers are lined up.

>>1690365
Agreed that we should join the bridge defense if it appears to be weakening.
>>
>>1690345
>>Command your forces on the bank of the river, where the archers are lined up
>>
>>1690365
>>1690370
>>1690408
>>1690547

"ARCHERS," You bellow, running to the banks and drawing your sword. "NOTCH ARROWS," They do, placing arrows to their strings. "DRAW," You yell.
"DRAW!" The Kirotr captains echo up and down the line. You hold up your sword. It glints in the sunlight. You watch the charging hoard as it closes in. Angered vermin, some with painted faces, others in a hodgepodge of armor, make up the frontlines.
You drop your sword.
"RELEASE," The captains yell. The arrows fly into the air, whistling and filling the sky. They rain down on the otherside of the river. You hear screams. The Kirotr captains take over the bow-commands, and you scan the approaching army.
They finally reach the shoreline, charging across the rafts. The boat bridge dips violently, but remains stable. Your soldiers at the other end level their spears. The two sides clash.
Screaming and the sound of metal fill the air. The invading vermin soldiers fall into the river and are washed away, while more jump onto the the bridge to take their comrades' place.
After twenty minutes of fighting the vermin realize they're not going to make it on the bridge and start crossing the river. Some are carried away, but most are crossing it one step at a time.

>Meet them on the banks with spear and sword
>Pull your army back
>Other
>>
>>1690587

Make the river run red with their blood, drive them back from where they came. That, and climbimg up potentially muddy banks doesnt make fighting easy for them.
>>
>>1690587
>>
>>1690587
>>
>>1690587
>>Meet them on the banks with spear and sword

RIP AND TEAR LIKE OUR FELINE ANCESTORS OF OLD
>>
>>1690607
>>1690610
>>1690631
>>1690745

"None make it to the bank!" You yell. "Spears out! Drive them back!"
The Kirotr captains echo your command. The soldiers closest to the water stash their bows and move their quivers out of the way. They lower their spears. The vermin hoard is now surging into the river. You count they still outnumber you, but not as badly as you feared. They may have a hundred on you, but that is all.
The first of the crossing vermin reach your soldiers, and your vermin drive their spears in. Screams fill the air. You jump into the shallows with your sword, meeting a rat with an ax. You block the ax, and kick the rat into the water. You stomp on his head, then drive your sword in.
Two ferrets and a weasel come at you from the river with swords. You're joined by a large Kirotr rat, and together the two of you lash out at them. You catch one of the ferrets in the shoulder, then finish him off with a nick to the neck.
Four more vermin leave the river, charging up the bank, and you move to meet them. All around you Kirotr soldiers drive their spears in and scream. The invading hoard continues to cross the river.
You finish off a fox and a weasel, both armed with swords. You wipe the blood from your brow and look around the battlefield.
The wildcats, including Undred Bloodfur and his son, have joined in at the raft bridge. The vermin have started appearing at the far shores, tugging felled trees between them. They're shoving them into the water. You hear a roar and stare back at the far side of the raftbridge. Several large creatures, sharp claws and viscous fangs, are about to cross the bridge. They're armed with all manner of weapons. You narrow your eyes. Pine Martins

>Stay where you are, fight with the soldiers
>Move to the bridge with the other wildcats to intercept the pine martins
>>
>>1690771

if we can drive them off for the night, we will hav e the advamtage for sure.
>>
>>1690771
>Move to intercept
>>
>>1690771

We're the heavy's of the army, it's our job to take out these fuckers.
>>
>>1690771

Our soldiers can handle the little guys, but if those Pine Martins get through, they'll fuck up the ranks.
>>
>>1690846
>>1690849
>>1690867
>>1690886

You push past the bodies of your soldiers massing towards the river. You reach the other wildcats just as the Pine Martins charge onto the bridge. The rafts dip into the water, and two of the Pine Martins jump off immediately and start wading through instead. You reach Bilth Onepaw and Kettum Snowfury. Both have their tridents at the ready.
"Blackfur," Undred says from his spot at the head of the others. "Good to have you with us,"
The Pine Martins reach the other side, and the wildcats move to meet them.
The Pine Martins batter at the tridents with their weapons, but the wildcat warriors are well trained. As many a kirotr weapon the large vermin knock away, another finds its place in the Pine Martin's flesh. You lash out with your sword, knicking one in the hand. You block its battle axe, and Bilth finishes it off with a trident to the throat. You hear a scream, and turn to see Tobbi Hackles impaled on the end of a Pine Martin's halberd. You turn back in time to deflect a club aimed at your head. Bilth takes a sword point in his hand, and you thought you heard Fick cry out in pain as well.
After a time, the Pine Martins bodies float in the river, leaving downstream. The vermin, seeing this, begin retreating. They slosh wildly back into the river, and those on the banks take off.

>Pursue them! Cut them down to the last vermin!
>Pursue and take prisoners!
>Leave them be, collect your wounded and dead and go back to Kirotr
>Other
>>
>>1690957
>>Leave them be, collect your wounded and dead and go back to Kirotr

Some of ours have taken serious damage. We need to save who we can.

These fuckers will be back for another go, they have to. Their boss won't allow anything less lest he's seen as weak and dethroned by a rival.

We can finish them off then.
>>
Rolled 6 (1d100)

>>1690957
>Other
Put arrows into their backs, gather our wounded amd dead. Burn the bodies of the enemy, give our dead a proper burial. Ask for volunteers for a raiding party to keep the enemy off balance and unable to rest fully.

Do as the old germans did, cover yourselves in soot and ash, carry weapons that dont glint in the light, strike hard and fast in the night amd fade back into tje depths of the darkness. Be as the evil spirits we are told to fear as babes, make them fear us.
>>
>>1690957

I'll support >>1690988
>>
>>1690988
Seconding
>>
>>1690988
Sure.
>>
>>1690988
Changing my vote to this.

This is gold.
>>
>>1690988
Fifthing
Do we roll?
>>
>>1691065
not sure, i just accidentally filled the dice box for some damn reason.
>>
>>1691065
no
>>
>>1690982
>>1690988
>>1691014
>>1691022
>>1691055
>>1691064
>>1691065

"Collect the wounded!" You yell out to your soldiers. "Gather the dead!" You point out several captains and tell them to get some soldiers to dig graves outside Kirotr. You yell out for the other captains to gather.
"I need volunteers," You say through gritted teeth. "Night will soon be upon us, and this night we go hunting,"
The captains nod. "What would you have us do, Commander," Captain Sliteye says.
"Take your soldiers," You say. "The one who volunteer. Cover yourselves in ash and soot. Take your weapons and rake them through the campfires, so they are covered too. Move through the night, strike hard and fast. Do not give them rest. And Captain Sliteye," You say, turning to the vermin captain. "I would very much like if you brought me the head of one named "Drakkold the Sly", if he is among them."
"Yessir," Captain Sliteye says.

>Go out with the raiding parties
>Return to Kirotr with the wildcats and the wounded and the rest of the army
>>
>>1691271

It's not exactly fair to ask this of them and not go along with them.
>>
>>1691271
>>Go out with the raiding parties

Tonight we hunt!
>>
>>1691271

We will show them what it means to try to take our lands. Tonight, we hunt!
>>
>>1691271

Time to show everyone that black fur can be an asset.
>>
>>1691298
>>1691304
>>1691322
>>1691348

You move over to where the volunteers are gathering. They stand by campfires, rubbing soot on their spearpoints. You feel a paw on your shoulder. You turn and see Undred Bloodfur.
"Going out with the raiding parties I see," He says. You nod.
"Yes Lord Bloodfur," You say. "We won't give them a moment's pause,"
"Very good," Undred says. "You did well today. I saw you fighting in the thick of it."
"I heard Fick cry out," You say. "Is he alright?"
"Bah," Undred says, waving a paw. "He got a claw across the face. He'll have a hell of a scar, but nothing more."
You nod. "Excuse me my Lord Undred," You say. "But I must join the others."
Undred Bloodfur claps you on the shoulder again. "Good hunting lad, do the Bloodfurs proud,"
You leave him and join the others. There are about sixty, including Snaggletooth. You inquire about the rat brothers, and the stoat informs you that both have perished in the battle. You nod. Such is the life of soldiers. You inquire about Pan, but Snaggletooth has yet to see him. Which means the one of the ambush parties is still unaccounted for.
"Alright men," You say, strolling through their circle. The soldiers nod upon seeing you. They saw you on the shores, slaying vermin as they came from the water. "We're sticking to the tree lines," You say, raising your voice so all can hear. "Those with bows I want constantly loosing arrows. Do not give them rest. The rest of us will find and corner groups of stragglers. No prisoners."
The soldiers heft their spears. "Kirotr!" They chant. "Kirotr! Kirotr!" You raise your sword, smeared with ash.
"We are that which they fear in the night!"
The soldiers cheer, then charge across the raft-bridge towards the other side. You spend the next few hours moving about the dark. You and your soldiers move like mist across the moor. You listen for voices, and find groups of vermin who have gotten lost or paused for rest. You make short work of them.
Finally you encounter the camp. A large gathering of vermin are there, milling about and generally acting frantic.

>Approach the camp stealthy-like
>Arrow Barrage
>Charge in and attack
>Simply Observe
>Other
>>
>>1691675
>Arrow Barrage

one or two quick shots and break off for a few moments to reposition somewhere away from their attention
>>
>>1691675
>Arrow barrage followed by a charge
>>
>>1691675
>>Approach the camp stealthy-like
>>
>>1691675
>>Other

Bowmen stay in the trees, send in a scout to see what the hell is going on, wait for them to report, and if there are no prisoners from our lands rain down a tide of arrows into their ranks and then the rest of us stealth in during the panic to pick off any survivors.
>>
>>1691675
>>Charge in and attack

Violence of action, keep the momentum up and deny them the chance to regroup
>>
>>1691738
Seconding
>>
>>1691675

>>1691738
Thirding this.

Whatever we do we should first see if they have any prisoners of ours.
>>
>>1691711
>>1691719
>>1691737
>>1691738
>>1691761
>>1691767
>>1691776

You motion for two soldiers to sneak on ahead. They do, edging up to the camp. The vermin are still running about, shouting. The scouts return, scooting on their stomachs.
"Well?" You say, whispering.
"Prisoners sir," One of the soldiers says. "But not ours. Buncha youngins sir, gentlebeast children."
You furrow your brow. None of Whitenort are missing any children. "Where are the prisoners," You say.
"Edge of the camp sir."
"Guards?" You say.
"Not really, mostly just vermin running about."

>Charge in, begin the slaughter backed by arrows
>Edge around and try and free the youngins
>Charge in, do your best to stay away from the youngins and make sure the archers don't aim near them
>Other
>>
>>1691820

Save the children
>>
>>1691820
>>Edge around and try and free the youngins
>>
>>1691820
>>
>>1691826
>>1691831
>>1691849

You motion for half your forces to go left, and the other half move right. You circle around the camp, getting closer and closer to the cages. The vermin in the camp continue to run about. It seems they've resorted to looting anything they can carry from the tents and pits the hoard dug.
You reach the cages, motioning for your soldiers to free the younguns. They do, going from cage to cage and breaking the locks. You see a young mouse-maid.
"Hello," You say, your voice barely above a whisper. "Did these bad vermin kidnap you?"
The mouse-maid nods. "Where are you mother and father?" You ask. Back east?"
"Maybe," The mouse maid says. "They travel a lot, so they could be anywhere,"
"Well let's get you out of here," You say. Eight soldiers are selected and begin taking the youngings back towards the river and the raft-bridges. The rest of you move back. You whistle; the signal. The other half of your army lets loose arrows into the camps. The vermin scream, or shout, or start running. You and the soldiers with you charge into the camp. You crash through tents and knock over cooking staves. Your black-smeared soldiers plunge their spears into the vermin, who try and fight back. The fighting is close and fierce, but eventually you overcome them. The fighting dies down, and you have taken fourteen prisoners.
"Where is Drakkold!" You say, moving among those captured. "Where is Drakkold!"
The vermin all look at you. None speak.
"Answer or I'll gut you," You say, leveling your sword at the neck of a captured ferret.
"H-he's gone," The ferret says. "Him and his guards done up and left us soon as they heard the battle went bad,"

>Question them about ____
>Execute them
>Take them back to Kirotr
>Let them go
>>
>>1691820
>>Edge around and try and free the youngins

Kids first, then the murder can begin in earnest.

Also we need to pull out after this, get the kids to safety.
>>
>>1691967
>Execute them
A bunch of desperate outlaws is not good for anyone
>>
>>1691967
>>Execute them
>>
>>1691967
>Question them about Drakkold's likely retreat location.
>Let whoever answers go, execute the rest.

At the least learning where he *might* be is better than nothing.
>>
>>1691967
>Execute them
>>
>>1691967
>>Execute them

Damn coward, I wanted to take his head.

Oh well, at least we're sure he's not going to be a problem.
>>
>>1692019

Second this, only with the caveat that we pull a mulan and let one of our bowmen put an arrow in his back when he runs.

After all we promised to let them go, not our fault that it only lasted about 30 seconds before that unfortunate accident.
>>
>>1692023
hm, could just be a feint. we should keep our guard up.
>>
>>1692019
Thirding this
>>
>>1691983
>>1691984
>>1692019
>>1692021
>>1692023
>>1692058
>>1692039

"Can any of you," You say, pointing your sword at them. "Tell me where Drakkold might have gone?" The vermin shake their head. Your tail sweeps back and forth across the tail. You are irritated. "So you're saying none of you, none captured here, can tell me where Drakkold may have gone?" The vermin shake their heads a second time. "Well," You say, gathering your cloak about you. "That's very unfortunate," You look at Captain Sliteye and draw your finger across your throat. He nods, and his soldiers spear the prisoners.

The day's battle is done. It is midnight now, you have been running on four hours sleep since the performance. You and your soldiers cross the bridge, heading back to Kirotr. It is a clear night, the moon hangs clear in the sky above. You sigh when you are finally in sight of the towers. You pass freshly dug graves in the fields. Kirotr's gate opens before; home.
>>
That's it for tonight, thanks again for questing with me, I'll post here tomorrow when I'll be starting up Chapter 4
>>
>>1692096
thanks for running, this was fun tonight!
>>
>>1692096
Thanks for running op!
>>
>>1692096
Thanks for running man.

Are you sure you want to keep this as a oneshot cause this is really fun.

It's nice to see a Redwall world where its not just "Vermin Bad Gentlebeasts Good"
>>
File: Redwall Pine Marten.jpg (109KB, 948x842px) Image search: [Google]
Redwall Pine Marten.jpg
109KB, 948x842px
>>1692096
Thanks for running tonight!
>>
>>1692096
Thanks for running!

I must admit, my knowledge of Redwall is limited to the cartoon, but this setting reminds me of Scandinavia.
>>
So is the scale of mouse to house as it is in reality or are the mice human-sized?
>>
If we barbecued the enemy dead, we could have a feast or at least some food to last us the winter.
>>
>>1692609

Best not to for a number of reasons.

First and foremost that would be cannibalism for most of our forces.
>>
>>1692658
Mice eat their babies and the babies feed on other babies.
>>
>>1692605
I guess the simplest way to say it is that the mice are human sized.
>>
>>1692666
Are the cats human sized? Why is Asmodeus the snake a giant in comparison to other creatures?
>>
>>1692669
I think so?

The scale of animal sizes in the books have always been vague, except for some early book weirdness.
>>
That was suspiciously easy. Think that wasn't his main force?
>>
What kind of sword/weapon are we using?

>>1693049
I wouldn't be surprised if he came with more.
>>
>>1693049
i think it was a feint. Boss probably fucked off to lead his elites on a flanking maneuver.
>>
Redwall Quest resumes this Sunday US central time, possibly all day
>>
>>1693439
Hot damn, something to look forward to tomorrow.
>>
>>1693439
Shit yeah, something to look forward to on a sunday
>>
>>1693439
This quest is great!
The gritty redwall we all wanted as kids
>>
>>1693700
Hell, Mossflower was pretty gritty, think of the duel between the huge water-rat and the pike. A lot of the books about Salamaderstron and the warlords are come to think of it.
>>
Would a regular wolf be colossal here, like a more active Tarrasque?
>>
>"There there," Snaggletooth says, patting the hedgehog's back.
Snaggletooth's a few cards short of the full deck, ain't he?
>>
>>1693738
Yes that did cross my mind, but not often that prisoners are killed in the redwall books if I remember
>>
>>1692669
I think Asmodeus was a very special case compared to others, a legendarily huge snake. But snakes are generally seen as larger. There's also an incident with a Swan where it seems to be to scale with an otter (As in, the otter is the size it would be compared to the swan in the real world)
>>
>>1696683
Oh yeah, don't forget the horse that pulled the haycart that Cluny and his Horde rode in on.
>>
>>1697339
That was non canon after the first book, i think. Things seem to have been relatively downsized since then. May just be me remembering wrong though. I could have sworn cats were two or three different sizes throughout the series for that matter.

Actually reread a couple of them last year for whatever the hell reason. The feasts are still pretty cool. Love his food descriptions.
>>
>>1697347
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, everything the first book does is canon.
>>
>>1697353
wasnt sure since there wasnt another mention of horses or human sized ruins/carts/objects after the frst book, at least it didnt seem like it. I may have to read the dozen or so of them i have again...
>>
I remember that Cluny and his horde have to climb a tree to get over the abbey wall. How big is that tree, like, rainforest/redwood big, or regular?
>>
>>1697373
thats one thing that always threw off scale for me. I figure they're just tall trees, like oaks and maples and the like, old ones at that. One in the backyard of a place i lived was nearly 50' at just over that many years old, big old shade tree.

Not sure if height was ever mentioned for the abbey wall or anyting like that. I would have some searching to do.
>>
new thread, but a continuing adventure >>1697439
Thread posts: 219
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.