[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dark Age Civilization Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

Something has happened to lie the world low. The empires of old are shattered, and the world has been reduced to wandering tribes, interspersed with what few pockets of society remain.

So, who in this now more barbarous world are we? First three votes for our race, and three votes for our place.
>>
>>1682374
Quiet time of the day.
>harpies
>canyon
>>
File: Craglands.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
Craglands.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1682374

> Insects

> Craglands
>>
>>1682374
>Humans
>Tundra
>>
All three are certainly viable, depending upon what you want. Harpies or Humans would be a more hardcore game, since Insects lack the need for comfort or for agriculture, really.
>>
Humans master race
>>
>>1682445

There is already a Civ thread up for human-tundra...
>>
>>1682374
>Trolls
>Swamp
>>
>>1682374
>Gnolls
>Valley/canyon.
>>
2 for Humans,
1 Harpies
1 Insects
1 Trolls
1 Gnolls.
>>
C'mon, lets give trolls some love
>>
>>1682459

I'll swap from Insects in Craglands to Trolls in Swamplands...
>>
It's an even fight between Trolls and Humans now. We'll need a tie break, or I'll roll it myself.
>>
>>1682473

Go ahead and roll for it OP...

At this rate we'll all die of old age before we can begin...
>>
Rolled 1 (1d2)

1- Humans
2- Trolls
>>
>>1682473
Well trolls won the roll, but I'll support them over the humans anyway
>>
>>1682491

> Well trolls won the roll

No they didn't...
>>
>>1682486
yeah mankind for the win
>>
>>1682493
Oh yeah misread that. Well another tundra human going up then
>>
>>1682500
Make that trolls
>>
File: tumblr_nw8dbschV61utsphuo1_1280.jpg (290KB, 1060x1580px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nw8dbschV61utsphuo1_1280.jpg
290KB, 1060x1580px
The clan-ship rushed harshly up onto the stone of the beach. The blaring sunlight, reflected in peaks of ice shimmers across the half-frozen water of early spring, only split by veins of dark trees, spreading out into a great forest back from the ice cold stony shore. Bare earth, dark verdant grass fed by buried streams. The pines stretch off beyond the horizon, even from the crows-nest up the mast. Not a clearing, no break in the vast expanse but for the sea itself, the wind blasted coast. The clan, swaddled in elk and deer furs, clambers down from the damp, barnacle flecked hull of the ship, and all the perhaps fourty souls set to work. Almost all men, to a man, but for ancient crones, and a precious few sisters. The Cairdain, the Boat-folk, as the clan had come to be known, were accustomed to the water, but their travels into the expanse of the hollow sea had been hard. All had lost to the ocean's depredations, or to the whaler-folk. The gods strike down the strong, it is said, but the world strikes down the weakest. Grizzled and harsh, fed on salt pork, biscuit and cheese, the clan is eager to settle upon the land.

The land upon which their vessel comes to rest has yet no name. It is the northernmost sector of the widest maps, distant and as yet almost entirely deserted. The perfect place for a clan once pushed to raiding or piracy to escape the enforcers of southern lands, and to settle in a verdant hunting ground. Some other settlers dwell here, they must, but nothing more than hamlets, and the port of the north, Caradock, far to the west. The continent is not yet settled, but it sits on the verges. The south booms, and so the north must swell too, and so the Cairdain have come to rest, upon this freezing beach, and so the men, directed by the ageing Gregor Cairhaun, haul the ship up the beach, while the elders fiddle with fine tools, divining implements and bone dice. Blind old men grin and stumble on bony legs, tasting the cool salt of the water and snapping a pine needle or two beneath their sallow old boots.

Not many supplies remain, but the tools for hard work, the clothes to survive the cold for at least a season, and a few sacks of food, barley, biscuits and salt-pork, perhaps enough for two or three months. Deep in the hold, one other thing, a remnant of the stolen goods from the first and the last raid, before the expanse. But what is it?

>What is contained in the hold?
>A Boar and Sow.
>A single dairy cow
>A rack of boar-spears, helmets and long leather shields
>A great saw, and the rollers, pulleys and machinery needed to construct a sawmill?
>A uniquely valuable bag of seed. Kanter plant is of immense value, once grown, and can be crushed, either into an intoxicating poison or into a very valuable purple dye. The seed is hard to grow without the expertise of a trained grower, and require conditions only to be found in dry, but very cold places.
>>
Sorry folks, the roll is final. I hope I can still satisfy you troll folks with humans.
>>
>>1682510

> A Boar and Sow
>>
>>1682510
>A great saw, and the rollers, pulleys and machinery needed to construct a sawmill?

As valuable as the animals would be long term, they'd take years to reach a population we can take meat and hide from. The dairy cow faces the problem of being too linear a reward. Merely a supply of milk and fertiliser and meat as a once off.

As to grabbing the various weapons? Our tribe ain't strong in numbers enough so to risk war with others for whatever gains we might make and won't be useful longer term as our numbers grow and weapons break.

The seeds seem a great choice were it not for the fact they are so difficult to grow. Such a hard-to-bear luxury won't aid us well in the near future.

A saw mill however? Planks of the finest northern wood. Good for houses, boats, tools and firewood. It'll enable faster growth and reduce the labour needed to build stuff out of wood.
>>
>>1682512
Fuck off M8
I wanted some trolls
>>
>>1682523

OP's rule is final. If you want trolls make a new Civ thread about trolls...
>>
>A great saw, and the rollers, pulleys and machinery needed to construct a sawmill
>>1682523
No need to be rude, I wanted trolls too but the OP has the final word. Besides, I like the OP's writing style so I don't mind another game of tundra humans.
>>
>>1682523
I'm sorry my friend, I rolled, and it went to humans. I'd already written the post by the time trolls got their votes. I waited a quarter of an hour after the tie was set, and that's just how it ended up. There may yet be trolls, I'm not the kind of guy to force you to execute anything you capture.
>>
>>1682518
>>1682531

Okay, let's move this along. Swapping my support from:

> A Boar and Sow

To:

> A great saw, and the rollers, pulleys and machinery needed to construct a sawmill
>>
The ship that had been hijacked, in the early days of the voyage, had been on the way to the north too, to set up a sawmilling settlement. The pine wood in the north was not the most valuable, certainly nothing overly special, but good quality planks and wood crafts are always valuable. The great pine forests before you are not just, as they have been to other settlements, an inconvenience, but they are the very heart of your enterprise. With solid wood comes shelter, comes fire and comes shipping. With ships up and going, power would be in the hands of the Cairdain once more, and wealth would come with it. The men aboard the ship knew the work they were to begin as soon as possible, and so the axes and the saws had been made ready. The ship, hauled out onto dry land, was now safe from the battering waves, and so the work could truly begin.

The clan worked fast and worked hard. The smaller trees at the edges of the wood were hacked down first, leaving only pine trunks. The stink of sap rises to the air, and the needles infest every garment. The wind whips across the backs of each man and the workers drive onward. Days pass, and the sawmill can be set up. A block of trunks, fixed into the earth, with the apparatus of the saw set up, runners are driven by cranks driving the great logs through the grinding saw. Gregor watches over the piling up of dark planks, steeped in pine scent, and smiles, as the number mounts up. After a further few days, he calls a halt to proceedings, with a grand stock of planks ready for use.

>What is to be done? The sawmill sits on the verges of the wood, while the boat rests downhill, just out of the stone beach.
>Build a set of shelters with the newly cut planks? Cabins for the workers, on the forest verges?
>Dismantle the ship for use as a great hall for the new settlement?
>Something else?

>Stats
>Population: 40 (34 Able Bodied, One Chieftain, Five elders)
>Supplies: Simple Furs, Four sacks of food, Simple town-forged tools. Barley seed-stock. Plentiful wooden planks.
>Structures: A Clan-ship, A Sawmill
>>
>>1682549

> Build a set of shelters with the newly cut planks? Cabins for the workers, on the forest verges?
>>
>>1682549
>Build a set of shelters with the newly cut planks? Cabins for the workers, on the forest verges?

Leave our ship be. We'll need that for trading and as an escape in case things go south.
>>
>>1682549
>>Dismantle the ship for use as a great hall for the new settlement?
>>
The nights in the woods are dark, and the warm hearths of distant homes are keenly, painfully remembered. The clan remembers the old hall in the distant south. They remember the golden leaves of maple and mallorn alike, and the pine trees grate on them. They are tired of sleeping in hammocks, tired of eating naught but scraps. They must have something more for themselves, something better. They long for home, though they may never have it, and so they must find for themselves home anew. They set to work, almost without being ordered to, and begin to construct cabins for themselves. Planks are slotted into logs, set upon a step of raised wood, to keep the snow off. Plank after plank is set into bracket after bracket until each group of men has for themselves a small cabin. The spaces are cramped and poorly lit, with primitive hearths of gathered earth, adjoining the wood.

They still must sleep in hammocks, five to a cabin, but the feeling of a roaring fire, and of a solid, hand-built home heartens them immensely. Nine cabins in all, two at the block of the sawmill, and the rest in a semi-circle, a short way away from the rest, allowing for a short path to loop through the settlement, leading nowhere in one direction, and down to the beach and the ship on the other.

>What now? Mid-quality housing has been provided.
>>
>>1682587

> Scout the surrounding wilderness

We should try to get a clearing picture of what we are working with here...
>>
>>1682587
Seven pairs of men shall head out into the woods and attempt to find any evidence of animals which we might hunt: deer, rabbit, boar and so on. Along with any evidence of other settlements. They may use any sorts of traps or weapons we have that they can.

Everyone (20 able bodied) else should dedicate themselves to creating a small dock and continuing to clear the forest back. They might even want to consider creating a few wheelbarrows / sleds to assist in transporting logs and other such materials.
>>
>>1682493
Could you stop ending everything you say in "..."
I'm barely even into the thread and I already want to kill myself, Christ
>>
>>1682595
>>1682591
Mix of these would be good
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.