[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Civilization Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

File: Ab879um.jpg (7MB, 2880x8640px) Image search: [Google]
Ab879um.jpg
7MB, 2880x8640px
Well, here we go. I've got an audiobook and a free 8-10 hours, so let's fuckin go, boys and girls. First three votes for our race and for our place, and we'll be off!
>>
>>1680075
Dwarf
>>
>>1680078
Well, Dwarves are always a solid mainstay for this kind of thing. Good for outsiders emerging into an unexplored world. I like the idea of Dwarves arriving either in a new world or having emerged in a far distant, uncivilised part of their own worlds. Settling and dominating the countryside, underground outposts dominating mountain ranges and growing to command the loyalties of squabbling tribes and city states, iron-fisted against the claws and beast-folk below.
>>
>>1680078
Supporting i guess.
>>
volcano dwarves
>>
>>1680091
I would had gone for some more exotic race, but when you put it like that, I quess dwarfs is all good.

>mountain
>>
Voting for: >>1680115

Strike the Earth!
>>
>>1680115
Alright I'll third this
>>
The Khitesh mountains, the Devil's thorns, have always held life since the first dragons crawled up from the dark below, and even now they teem, despite the dangers such verdancy lends to them. Pools of bubbling magma sit deep in the earth, sustaining wyrms and kobold hordes, never to see the light, only ever to battle endlessly with themselves, or to someday break into the Underdark and be devoured by creatures beyond their ken. The caverns stretch for thousands of miles, twisting up and down the spires, emerging in yawning, snow-gurgling maws. Within them, all manner of life dwells, and a million wars spiral each day. Only a few pockets of civilisation dwell within. Syrinx dwell in their eyries, high above it all, Flumphs whisper through dark air, fighting for barely remembered causes. Some elves, perhaps, still wander, and perhaps a dozen other little-civilized caverns, but between and beyond them are seas of barbarism. Another breach is to be made in the ocean, a breach that may swell out to become a permanent fixture, or may be crushed by the pressure of the thing.

The breach, for now, consists of a party of seven companions, with a few scant supplies, some livestock, and a wagon. Wanderers all, drawn together by a common cause. A few adventurers, a few artisans, but one leader. One wise dwarf, able to command and to lead, bearing in their hand the binding document for their new venture. A writ from the grand council of Old Lagash, signed by the Forgemaster himself., granting permission for the founding of a new delving, and the chance at a charter. If, that is, the settlement should grow so large. Who bears this writ, and who will command the venture?

>An old herbalist, a woods-mage or witch, with a strange knowledge of the cave flora and fauna, capable of weaving subtle healing magics. Shunned by many, he or she was driven out from the forgeholds, and must now build a home in the caverns.
>A young master smith, bearing with him an anvil, and the tools to forge sacred iron, though not yet revered steel.
>A trained pikeman, a lieutenant in one of the many wars fought between the various forgeholds, bringing with him a tacticians mind.
>A simple miner.
>An adventurer of some sort (Write in!)
>>
>>1680158
>An old herbalist, a woods-mage or witch, with a strange knowledge of the cave flora and fauna, capable of weaving subtle healing magics. Shunned by many, he or she was driven out from the forgeholds, and must now build a home in the caverns.
>>
>>1680165
>ds-mage or witch, with a strange knowledge of the cave flora and fauna, capable of weaving subtle healing magics. Shunned by many, he or she was driven out from the forgeholds, and must now build a home in the caverns.

This sounds interesting...

I'll support it...
>>
>>1680169
second
>>
So, Woods-witch or Woods-warlock, as it were?
>>
>>1680190
Woods-witch, thats why it was extra heretical
>>
Rolled 1 (1d2)

>>1680190

1 = Warlock

2 = Witch
>>
lurking until next update
>>
>>1680209
If you could tie break, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>>
>>1680213
witch
>>
>>1680213
Warlock
>>
warlock
>>1680221
>>1680193
witch
>>1680192
>>1680214

I'll say warlock.
>>
Changing my vote to witch so as to break the stalemate...
>>
>>1680223

Nevermind. Sticking with Warlock I guess...
>>
>>1680223
are you OP?
>>
>>1680225

I am ~a~ OP...

However, I am not the OP of this thread...
>>
File: 1479438562636.jpg (315KB, 946x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1479438562636.jpg
315KB, 946x1000px
The old witch had helped the folk of the hold, and she was ancient. Past her second century, no-one remained to keep count, and she hardly cared for her own self. She had learned medicine in her youth, and she had only learned more in her old age. By the time she was grey and wizened, the swift simpering magic of the woods and the indescribably ancient power in the mushrooms, the lichen and the buried grass. She knew the earth, well enough, and knew the trees and the dirt better than any of her companions. Kelda was her name, a name of authority, and certainly not her own. No-one could quite remember her true name, and Kelda fit her just fine. The matron's power, as the dwarves knew it, was in her. The skill at birthing, at medicine, and at the daily work of any craftsman. A repository of knowledge, not conceited like an educated wizard, but truly wise.

She had led them along the paths of the stone, and she had led them well. It was early spring, and none had died in the journey through the deep pathways, not even in the trek through the mountainsides. She had not had the chance to bring many supplies with her in her flight, but she had kept cheerful about it. A pair of shaggy furred yaks, a pair of dogs, and a single, silver furred cat, Kelda's own. A few stray birds have followed the party too, but the true wealth of the expedition comes in the five sacks of barley, the barrel of honeyed ale, and the sealed, tightly locked box of gold russet mushrooms, held on an equal pedestal with Kelda's medicines and concoctions.

When the party had arrived, they had set down their tools, half-way up the great crag-tooth mountain of Kraznor-Yukat, or in the common tongue Dwarves were accustomed to use in polite company, to prove their education, and to keep Khazalid, their own language, secret, to be known as Lartug, (Bronzehelm). Many cave entrances dotted the mountain as it merged into the other mountains, and a pass, where the mountain met with Tinbrace, Garthal, with a simple stream of pure water flowing down into some miniature delta at the mountain's root, with rock turning to soft, fertile mud, patches of silver-white birch trees intermingling with the almost pearl-grey stream

>What kind of site should be looked for?
>A cave higher in the mountains, away from the richness of the earth but safer from subterranean creatures?
>A cave in the middle reaches of the mountains, by the pass and the root of the stream?
>Upon a jutting cliff face, almost inaccessible, but utterly safe from the outside, at least to any beast or beast-folk?
>At the mountain's root, in the hills, nearer to the mud for sun-lit crops, necessitating an outside settlement.
>Somewhere else? (Write in)
>>
Dangit lads. This got more popular than I'd thought. Are we up for accepting a witch nonetheless?
>>
>>1680239
>At the mountain's root, in the hills, nearer to the mud for sun-lit crops, necessitating an outside settlement.
>>1680240
Aye
>>
>>1680240
i think a witch would be more interesting like the other anon said, it's all-out heretical.

>>1680239
>>
>>1680240

I'm fine with either...

I just swapped back because someone broke the tie before me...

> A long narrow pass between two ridges. A volcanic vent passes close to the surface beneath this formation imbuing the mud and soil that has collected there with and unusual warmth and wholesomeness allowing for many kinds of rare fungi and herb to flourish. The claustrophobic, muddy setting is rather dependable, but is desperately lacking room for development and expansion...

How's this?
>>
>>1680253
Dependable => Defendable
>>
>>1680253
this sounds interesting but i'd rather be close to the root so we can make the most out of our witch.

could you please change name, really confusing me
>>
>>1680240
Both are equally delightful for me, Witch is fine as you already posted it.

>>1680253
That sounds all good, but are building an grand town, that needs space.
>>
Almost every dwarf would baulk at the choice to build a settlement outside voluntarily as if there were anything to be gained from the sky but fools with which to trade. But a few, especially those acquainted with Wood's witches, knew the joys of the open sky, the warm rippling of the sun cresting the horizon, and the rustle of the birch leaves. Kelda, silencing opposition from the portly brewer before marching down to the bases of the hill, into the damp mud, hauling the wagon to the dry patch between the birch trees, and unloading the supplies within on wooden decks. The water flowed from rock to gully to open mud at the base of the mountains, within sight of the copse, splitting into a marsh-like delta, perfect farmland, if cut and irrigated properly. Mushrooms grew everywhere in the shade, under the tree canopies, around the rotten remains of the winter's birch nuts.

Three solid dwarven lads and another three lasses besides Kelda herself stood ready to work, but unsure of how to do it. Even the portly Brewer had grasped a tool. What were they to do? How did their hamlet begin, if not by striking the earth?

>Hacking down the birch trees to build up some shelters?
>Hacking into the small hills to delve out something of a Warren, to be furnished later, expanded outward into outside accommodation.
>Something Else? (Write in)
>>
>>1680314

>Hacking into the small hills to delve out something of a Warren, to be furnished later, expanded outward into outside accommodation.

Frankly anything less would be undwarven...
>>
>>1680314
>>Hacking into the small hills to delve out something of a Warren, to be furnished later, expanded outward into outside accommodation.
>>
>>1680319
>>1680321
this. need some kind of resemblance of undergroundness so they dont go crazy
>>
Wait in the picture it says dwarves can never learn magic, how does our witch use magic?
>>
>>1680329
maybe... she's a ugly halfling?
>>
>>1680335
GASP
>>
>>1680335
or crossbreed
>>
>>1680329
The picture is more an aid and a title card. People see the thing and know what to expect, and get to choose races easily. I have never, to this day, used any of the stats on the charts.
>>
>>1680345
this

also how big are the hills where we are?
how far to the "real" mountain?

i hope we're not too far away so we can get a bit of both nature and classic dorfness
>>
>>1680239
>>
>>1680314
>>Hacking into the small hills to delve out something of a Warren, to be furnished later, expanded outward into outside accommodation.
>>
>>1680353
you might want to read the thread before you post next time
>>
File: Triggered.gif (241KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Triggered.gif
241KB, 300x300px
>>1680358
>>
>>1680314
>>
>>1680348
A short walk of a few minutes to the "real mountain. There's the pass between the two mountains, and the stream runs down, before meeting the hump of a hill. The stream then rolls down the side of the hill, flowing into the delta-marsh.
>>1680358
Do be nice, dear friends.

If there's nothing else, Hacking into the hills seems to be the thing?
>>
>>1680406

Mhm-hm...
>>
>>1680406
yes
>>
Kelda hands out the shovels and mattocks, and the glinting bronze and iron is put to work on a small hillside. Dry ground is found, and the dirt is hacked into. Torn away and piled up into earthworks, until a small chamber has been dug out, and secured with pillars of fresh chopped young birches. Birch nut mash and roasted moles make up the evenings fare, and the dwarves sleep in the grain scented earthen chamber. The next day, another chamber was hacked clear, and the collected earth was piled up, along with the rest, into a form resembling a livestock pasture. The Yaks, secure with a place to sleep, low in contentment, and the hounds wander freely. Kelda gathers the earthen moulds and lichens extracted from the earth, stockpiling them in her little fungus box.

The second, deeper chamber, is used for a storage chamber. Wet mud is torn away from the floor, and the wooden racks of the wagon are set up in the earthen walls, sacks of grain sealed and stored, along with spare clothing and spare storage garments. The brewer, Gundo Hildegrim, a Dwarf of the wanderers, with halfling blood, if the younger dwarves are to be believed, intently catalogues the supplies available, and estimates to Kelda that, if the beer is watered down, the supplies will last perhaps two or three months, perhaps more with foraged supplements.

Life is not comfortable, not by any stretch, but you are out of the rain, and you'll at least not have your food go to rot.

>What next?
>Write in actions, roll a d20 for any actions.

>Suggestions;
>Establish farming, lumber work, crafts, mining, forging. Any skilled industries, or simply work.
>>
>>1680462
Let's do some mining
>>
Rolled 15 (1d20)

>>1680472
>>
Rolled 18 (1d20)

>>1680462
>mining
>>
Rolled 5 (1d20)

>>1680462
>mining

I'd say after starting an small mine, we need to put up farm and cut some lumber to improv our sleeping and storage chambers.
>>
should secure food source before mining imo
>>
Rolled 13 (1d20)

>>1680462

Mining...
>>
>>1680239
I am too misogynistic to participate in a thread with a female leader gg
>>
>>1680933
same senpai. chargen is a red flag desu
>>
OP coming back?
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.