[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quest Thread General: How About a Nice Cup of Feces

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 360
Thread images: 59

File: qtg.png (36KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
qtg.png
36KB, 800x800px
Impact is Gay edition

This is a thread created for the "discussion" of Quest threads.

Please do not shitpost, and please report any shit posters attempting to derail discussion or cause strife.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/u5xPbk6w (embed) (embed)
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities. You will also never read it, so who fucking cares, just ask whatever stupid question you have in the thread.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory/
https://twitter.com/tgquestlist/lists/quest-master-directory
These are two directories containing the tweets of many current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory (if you regularly gag on your own cock), it is a useful tool for both you and your players. To get added to the second list, tweet @tgQuestList. Spamming tweets unrelated to your quest may result in its removal.

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics, and politics.)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anime)

Discord server (Can provide feedback to new QM's, usually in advising that they stop being huge faggots, but shitposting is a bannable (but encouraged) offense) https://discord.gg/pXfcXZJ

http://qst.wikia.com
This abomination of a wiki gives brief summations of quests and QMs as well as quest culture in general. Additions are encouraged. Not that you will ever contribute, as you well shouldn't.

Archive of quest reviews (if you find a review that is not on the list, please link it in the thread. Not that you will, nor will any reviews ever be posted.):
http://pastebin.com/u/QuestReviewsArchive

>QM Question
What do you like to see in write in options? What don't you like to see?

>Player Question
Do you prefer action, or depth, if you were forced to choose one over the other?

>Shitposting Competition Starter
What is the most overrated quest?

>Shitposting Competition Dead Horse Boxing Entry Form
What are some of the shittist quest waifus that are popular for seemingly little justification over other, much better characters?
>>
>>1666927
>Do you prefer action, or depth, if you were forced to choose one over the other?
Depth I suppose. Action is pointless on its own if everything else is as shallow as a puddle.

>What is the most overrated quest?
Crusader Quest easily.
>>
>>1666927
>Do you prefer action, or depth, if you were forced to choose one over the other?
Depends on the type of quest, for some formats are better suited to others. Ideally they would be close to each other, but I would pick depth (not bloat) if for whatever reason the QM had to focus on one.
>>
>>1666376
Damn, I was doing prep work for a warship AI quest, but it looks like you beat me to it.
>>
So, can I throw out an unpopular opinion here? I've only shown up post /qst/. I've been reading a TG quest archive recently and WOW there is a lot more participation.

But more noticeable is WOW there is a lot more shitposting and trolling. If that's the trade off, I'll take the slower, more placid board.

Fight me.
>>
>>1667100
I ran on both /tg/ and /qst/. Shitposting is a fun way to show your are invested in the quest and, as a QM, I dearly miss it. Happenings seems bigger and more impactul with reaction images and shitpost, at least on the QM end.

So I disagree with you. /qst/ has its advantages over /tg/, but its placidity isn't one of them.
>>
>>1667267
>>1667267
>>1667267

Beleaguered Prince Quest is now up and running.
>>
>>1667199
>Schooled by Cegremo
>It was your quest I was reading
>Opinion retracted.
>I am vanquished
>>
>>1667199
When is the next NERV thread? What timeframe are we looking at?

On another note, how are audience reactionposts and happenings on anonkun by comparison?
>>
>>1667398

>>1662094

Sunday at 14:30 (UTC-5:00)
>>
>>1667398
I've ran there. Depends on if you get a decent crowd or not. On average, it's a lot less rage/happening shitposts- but the players tend to communicate a bit more in general than here, it's just slightly calmer discussion. That said, the key phrase is 'on average'.

On Anonkun, when the salt flows, it flows hard and strong.
>>
So can anyone here help me?
I remember there being a site for quests that started with Anon or something with A.
Does anyone here know what it is?
>>
>>1667683
You mean Anonkun? Currently known as fiction.live?
>>
Anyone have the winnie quest archive?
>>
>>1667928
>winnie quest archive
This?
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Winniequest
>>
>>1667942
the google doc too, also if anyone has anything on reluctant werewolf quest that'd be great, the archives fucking hate me for some reason.
>>
>>1667942
what the fuck is that shite
>>
>>1667968
waifuing the girls from ghoulschool from scooby doo
>>
>>1667967
>reluctant werewolf quest
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=reluctant+Werewolf+archive
This?
>>
>>1667994
Rather:

https://www.google.com/search?q=reluctant+Werewolf+archive#q=reluctant+Werewolf+quest+archive
>>
>>1667994
>>1668005
I just wanted the /qst/ archive, or wanted to know if there was a google doc or something...
>>
You are Anon. You live your life in the wooded outskirts of Coolsville downloading anime from the web and collecting imported figurines from Japan and living off your inheritance from Grandfather Simmons and manga review blog (mostly the inheritance). You're well aware that your chosen lifestyle isn't what most would consider ideal...but you do your best to take care of yourself. You work out. You hunt. You trap. You fish. You decided that if you had to be a lonely weeaboo Neet you would try to be the best lonely weeaboo Neet possible.

But now you have another reason to GIT GUD. You have a girlfriend. Against all odds, you have a girlfriend.

She's a werewolf. Her name is Winnie. She's the Alpha of the local pack. And when she saw you fearlessly (and rather carelessly) risk your life to help people during a vampire attack a few Christmases back she took a shine to you.

It sounds just like one of your animes...except its not. In those kinds of animes the guy doesn't really have to do anything. A great girl shows up, she loves him, he loves her, and maybe there's some conflict that gets solved through the power of love...but what you got isn't like that.

Happy feelings aren't going to help the pickle you and your wolf have found yourself in. Her pack has always seen normal human you as weak. The shifter half-breeds you could produce would be far, far, far away from the ideal pack leaders of the next generation. And after a disastrous bout with a Wendigo named White Fell in which Winnie lost her tail (It grew back. Werewolves heal like that. They're sort of like big fuzzy cartoons) her pack is starting to see her as weak. It doesn't take much for her pack siblings, angered and confused by her humiliating loss, to come to the conclusion that association with you has turned their Alpha into a weakling.

There have been hushed whispers of rivals preparing to challenge Winnie for her rank. When Winnie talks about it she tries to put on her usual cool confidence. But when you force her to stop avoiding meeting your gaze you can tell that there is fear locked deep inside her eyes.
>>
>>1668917
Kill yourself, Trick. <3
>>
>>1669115
In the anime you've watched 9/10 times its the girl that rescues the guy. He's suffocating under the boredom and loneliness of his life and then suddenly a goddess/robot/alien flies in and makes things exciting.

But this is your story. In your story your girl needs you. Shes in trouble because of you. She's in trouble because you're weak, and because they think you're making her weak.

This is your story. You will show them that you are not weak. You will show them that you are worthy of Winnie. You will show them that you are worth a damn.

You will be worth a damn. You'll make yourself be worth a damn. Sure, you'll never be able to rip cars in half like a werewolf but you'll show them that you got what really counts. You'll show them you got the will and the spirit and the fight.

It's not the size of the dog that counts. Its the fight. Winnie told you that. And showed you that more than a few times...

You walk down the back alley of the Setting Moon cafe. The smell from the kitchen makes you hungry-you skipped breakfast (White Fell "cooked" a deer for you. You discreetly buried the bleeding carcas). But you aren't sure if you should risk going in for a bite...Winnie hasn't revealed that your her boyfriend to anyone but her family, but beastpeople read body language and subconscious ques like writing in a book. Many suspect there's something between the two of you, and fear that its actual romance.

If you step into the Cafe mostly patroned by werewolves you might find that them snarling at you...

Winnie (with her new phone) called you and asked you to meet her behind the cafe. She said she wanted your advice with something to do with a werewolf in trouble-alpha stuff. She wants you to get more involved with her alpha duties. As her husband-to-be you're going to have to show you're a good beta. Showing that you can be of help to her and her alpha duties is probably the best way to show the pack that you're valuable.

>Go into the cafe' and get a bite

>Wait for Winnie
>>
>>1669162
kill yourself
>>
>>1669213
Winnie calls it the "wolf wagon". It's her pride and joy, a restored cherry red challenger with custom pack pattern paint job and restored with authentic parts...with a few modern touch-ups here and there from Elsa's toolbox to bring the performance up.

Winnie told you one time that there's an atomic engine under the hood like that Gotham guy used to have in his car. You think she was joking. Maybe.

When people think about beastpeople and technology they usually picture them prowling through urban ruins or using Questmaps to chart out their wilderness territory, so they tend to give you funny looks when you explain that a lot of wolves are huge gearheads-Winnie included. You explain to them that although wolves are often very clannish and isolated in some way their personal worlds are "bigger" than humans. Their vision (and taste) are poor compared with humans, but they smell and hear far, far better. And they cover distance effortlessly through their alchemical enhanced strength. The average person lives and works in a sphere far smaller than a wolf, especially when wolves are given to instinctively roam and explore their "territory". Wolves see cars as ways to expand their territory and make it easier to roam. Cars are useful tools that take them from the city to the outskirts and forests quickly and conserves their natural strength.

Wolves are crazy about cars, and as an alpha wolf Winnie is especially crazy about cars. The wolf wagon is her baby. She cares for it like you care for your gunpla and imported BioArmor Manu Beetalion figurines. When you first started seeing her you asked if you could have a turn behind the wheel and she just chuckled, picked you up, and put you in the shotgun seat.

But tonight she's given you the keys. Tonight she wants you to drive. Tonight she's sat herself down in the shotgun seat and stares up at you with wide golden puppy dog eyes.

>Say/Do?

>Steal a kiss at a red light (Wolf)

>"So...ready to unwind tonight?" (Human)
>>
>>1669218
>Steal a kiss at a red light
>>
>>1669228
At a red light you stop and turn toward her. You lock eyes with your little alpha. An electric chill runs down your body and you can tell by the way her tail wags and her eyes sparkle that it runs through her as well.

You kiss her without any further hesitation. You smell the warm scent of her fur and it makes you kiss deeper. You feel her breath blow across your face.

"N-not while ya drivin' ya idiot!" Winnie gently (and with no small degree of hesitation) pulls away. "I'll skin ya alive if ya ding my baby!"

"I'm watching, I'm watching." You smile and nod. "Light's not changing though...looks like we're be here awhile..."

"Oh gawd..." Winnie rolls her head against your shoulder. "You're merciless ya know that? Absolutely cruel ta little old me..."

"Hey, remember when you started teasing me the night White Fell happened? I'm just getting a little revenge now." You give her a quick, firm hug and then pull away as you see the light turn green. Winnie jerks toward you but flinches away as you start driving again.

"Awww...no fair..." She whines adorably.

"Heh. Blame the municipal traffic system. I'm innocent."

"Ya a dirty snake Anon. Dirty and mean and rotten. Ya know we wolves really feel something when we feel something...and I'm crazy about ya Anon..." Winnie whispers softly in your ear, hand resting on your leg.

"You know we humans can get really worked up about things ourselves...You're looking extra cute tonight, should I be worried?"

Winnie sighs, long and contently. She leans back in her seat. The neon lights of the city shine with the shadows of her fur and make stars in her luminous eyes. "Hell yeah ya should be worried. Tonight, me and you, we're going to have fun. Serious fun."

"Serious fun?"

"The kind of fun mates have....things haven't been fun in so long. With Jones and White Fell and Batty comin' back to town soon it's just ugh, so much so fast."

"I know what you mean."

"And you...you've been by me through it all. Ya helped me in ways no one else could...Ya my mate Anon and I love you...and I want to show you how much I love you..." She says breathlessly.

>Say/Do?

>Winnie, won't your parents....(Human)

>Are you saying you want to be my little pet tonight? (Wolf)
>>
>>1669232
Stick my fingers up my butt.
>>
What's an acceptable limit to dice combat modifiers? -/+ 5? -/+10? -/+ 20? Im trying to balance a quest with upgrades and cover bonuses and what not. I'm just wondering if there's a limit before it puts off people
>>
>>1669293
D20 or d100?
>>
>>1669293
You may want to check out Black Company Quest as a quest with lotsa combat modifiers.
>>
>>1669301
Either? But pref d20
>>
>>1669310
I asked because part of the modifier looking absurd is the size of the die it gets added to.

But then again I mostly follow quests that go with just 3d10 and the QM sets the target number according to difficulty.
>>
>>1669309
Oh snap. The black company is literally the next thing on my book backlog. i'd hate to ask but could you break it down what it's like?
>>
>>1669318
But wouldn't a -/+ 5 be too much for a d20?
>>
>>1669324
I'd call that the reasonable limit.
More typically +2 should be handed out. Anything more should be earned.
>>
>>1669322
It's got nothing to do with books but it's like this:
For normal rolls and mass combat
3 rolls of d100, DC starts at 50, lot's of modifiers for player and enemy making DC go from almost impossible to succeed to almost impossible to fail.
0 dc beaten = crit fail
1 = fail
2 = success
3 = crit
Personal Combat from thread #3
Basic DC in combat = 50 DC

Prince 15/15HP: Experienced I (+5), Kriegstrom (+5), Courageous (+5), Clever (+5) = +20 to DC

Cultist Demagogue 8/8HP : Untrained (+20), Poorly Equipped (+10), x2 Cultists assist (-12) = +18 to DC

> Personal Combat
> Corporal 'Prince' vs Cultist Demagogue & 2 Cultists (hp 6/6)
>DC = 50 + 20 + 18
>DC 88 (best two out of 3)

I need 3 1d100 rolls.

For every 5 points you beat the DC by (rounded) you inflict 1HP of injury, which you may distribute as you wish.
>>
>>1669326
Thanks for the feedback I was just wondering becuase of weapon modifcations and what not. BTW can you roll twice like 2d20-1 but only have the -1 affect the one d20 roll or do you have to roll in a separate post for that to be possible?
>>
>>1669339
Thanks for the explanation anon and if what you say is true I'll dig up the archive for it. Thanks again!
>>
Rolled 4, 15 + 1 = 20 (2d20 + 1)

>>1669340
2d20-1 is exactly the same as 1d20-1+1d20. What are you trying to ask?
>>
Are there any good guides/pointers out there for a total chump to make DCs? My experience with dice IRL is not suited toward D20/D100 sort of DCs.
>>
>>1669382
Basically that sorry for my retardation anon andthank you for accommodating for it
>>
>>1669414
fudge em. fudge 80% of it. Worry about your writing before you go around laying dice mechanics.

By then, maybe your players will consider the possibility that failure is not game-ending
>>
>>1669414
You don't have to make it d20/d100
>>
>>1669454
That's sort of what I suspected. Thanks!

>>1669457
I'm aware, I've tried some other systems, but I've never been 100% happy with them and I strangely catch a lot of flack from randos for not using D100/D20. Go figure.

I'm honestly kind of digging >>1669339

Seems pretty clean to be honest, hits a lot of points I like.
>>
>>1669683
>>1669683
>>1669683

Beleaguered Prince Quest resumes.
>>
Lets narrow it down, what is the most overrated quest currently running?
>>
>>1669756
Do I have to have actually read it or can I blindly hate that which I don't understand?

is that Star Vs thing still going?
>>
Academy Tournament Organisation Quest is up!

>>1670617
>>
File: jojos-bizarre-adventure.jpg (343KB, 1100x618px) Image search: [Google]
jojos-bizarre-adventure.jpg
343KB, 1100x618px
For anyone interested, yet another jojo's bizarre adventure quest is running

>>1670606
>>1670606
>>1670606
>>
File: XX-9_Turbolasers_SWArmada.png (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
XX-9_Turbolasers_SWArmada.png
2MB, 1920x1200px
Dark Empire Quest

>>1670718
>>1670718
>>1670718

Putting the "war" in Star Wars
>>
File: 20.4.jpg (108KB, 786x1017px) Image search: [Google]
20.4.jpg
108KB, 786x1017px
An update on the Paladin of Avalon is up!
https://fiction.live/stories/The-Paladin-of-Avalon/-JRvxJl3loGBg9Bo64XE/30-A-hero-should-only-be-one/XFMpzuaivwm87CH6K
You need to be ruthless to survive
>>
Lego Quest is up if anybody wants to come play!

>>1671283
>>
>>1667100
I've been thinking about it, and I kind of like the slower pace because it's not too slow

I genuinely predicted that we would hit /po/ levels by last Christmas.

Thankfully we didn't, but we're not exactly growing, either.
/qst/ in general needs a makeover to attract new players. Most people aren't even aware what a quest is.
>A lot more participation
It was not uncommon for the 'big' quests back then to have 300-500 players. Maybe not all at the same time, but that was the tally someone did from the older threads.
Quests are primarily made to be chaotic, but that doesn't make for a good story. I don't think we'll ever have a shitstorm ever again that rivals Bloodline Protector Quest or Princess Guard Quest.
>>
>>1671566

Another Dragon Ball Quest is up.
>>
>>1671036
Good to know your monstergirl waifu bullshit is still going strong.
>>
Apocalypse civ
>>1665938
>>1665938
>>1665938
>>
Tonight. You. 9 PM Central US. American Arcana. https://pastebin.com/WEy8FsGs
>>
Superpower-Less Quest continuing in approx 3hrs from this post.

The story so far:
https://pastebin.com/dy60d118
>>
>>1673334
And not link to the existing, still very fresh thread because?
>>
>>1672836
Thank you.
Monstergirl waifus are really not the focus of the story though.
>>
>>1673335
Because the existing, still very fresh thread is easy to find on the catalog.
>>
>>1673338
Why not?
>>
File: Terran Capital ship.jpg (327KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Terran Capital ship.jpg
327KB, 1920x1080px
So, after playing way too much FTL, endless space, Space engenirs, and Starbound, and maybe spending the last fourty hours doing so with several windows to the Space Battles forums open I wanted to know:
Anyone interested in a quest where you direct the actions of the AI controlling a derelict Capital-class ship?
Image related.
>>
>>1673358
Go for it.

I miss void quest.
>>
>>1673356
Because there are more important issues to tackle.
Like repelling the invasion of the Chaos gods into the world, stopping a crusade from ravaging your land, negotiating an attack on the heavens with a lord of Hell, protecting the human realm against the greatest orc raid of the last several centuries, uncovering the treason of one of your closest advisors. Stuff like that.
For the longest time, there had only been one real waifu with a proper connection to the MC. Now there are two and several girls who clearly crave his D, but again, these are really not the most pressing matters.
>>
File: bile foust ships.jpg (285KB, 1279x794px) Image search: [Google]
bile foust ships.jpg
285KB, 1279x794px
>>1673359
Any suggestions on what system to run it in? or should I home-brew it?
The only systems I have run before were D&D 1.5 Advanced, Exalted, and Only war.
>>
>>1673365
Wing it.
>>
were there any obituaries this friday?
>>
>>1673365
I'd say make it up, and don't get too in depth. There's very little good stuff out there that does both role playing and space ships, and getting bogged down in a rules system is an easy mistake for a QM to make anyway. Priorities should be story first, then maybe system.
>>
>>1673504
If so, I didnt see them.

Mortician, what's up?
>>
>>1673616
It was bound to happen eventually. Guess someone's gotta bury the mortician.
C'est la vie.
>>
>>1673632
>>1673632
>>1673632

Beleaguered Prince Quest Special Sunday Epilogue Edition is now live.
>>
File: soldiering on.jpg (111KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
soldiering on.jpg
111KB, 800x600px
Lego Quest is back up if anybody wants to come over and play!

>>1671283
>>
So, did I miss Nerv Bridge Simulator? That's now right?
>>
>>1673365
With quests you want to play fast and loose with rules. Don't get bogged down in minutiae
>>
File: mew14.jpg (41KB, 479x270px) Image search: [Google]
mew14.jpg
41KB, 479x270px
For the lovely friends of Star vs Quest

Next session
Tuesday July 18th at 3:00pm US Central time

We begin the end
bless
>>
So, there was the first part of a Power Armour Choose Your Own Adventure mission a couple weeks ago. There any word on when/if that will be continuing?
>>
File: Olympia Thunderbolts.png (134KB, 771x236px) Image search: [Google]
Olympia Thunderbolts.png
134KB, 771x236px
Play ball!
American Arcana Quest is back up:
>>1675497
>>
Would there be any interest in a quest about MTG battles in a Yugioh-like setting? e.g. Duel Academy with more two turn infect wins and blue control shenanigans
>>
File: DE4yn5BXsAELC2k[1].jpg (65KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
DE4yn5BXsAELC2k[1].jpg
65KB, 1200x800px
Mecha quest, yea or nay
>>
>>1675932
I'd say yea but I'm sure anyone would ask for some DETAILS.
>>
>>1675932
Of course yea, but say more.
>>
>>1675938
it'd involve fighting giant monsters and such, kinda like that eva sim quest but less waifu faggotry
>>
>>1675949
What system would you use? How customizable is our mech?
>>
>>1675953
I haven't gotten that far quite yet, gonna work on a system but I could use some input
what system would you like to be used?
>>
>>1675949
>like that eva sim
>less waifu faggotry
Yikes.

I mean, you could just play Eva sim quest and not argue like an autist about which girl to fuck? Just spitballing ideas.

Otherwise, sure, the idea is sound, but more info is needed.
>>
>>1675953
>>1675963
oh, and forgot to mention that the mechs would be pretty customizable, like light weight to heavy weight models and different weapons to add
>>
>>1675963
Personally I like Mekton since it gives a ton of customization and plays pretty well. Are you going for more real robot or super robot?
>>
>>1675999
I'd like to go for a realistic robot kinda vibe
>>
>>1675932
yea
>>
File: 1490847559134.gif (404KB, 320x186px) Image search: [Google]
1490847559134.gif
404KB, 320x186px
I'm at a point where the only thing I need to really do to finish setup for a quest idea (which would be my first) is a combat system. I know the advice is to read/play quests to learn to QM, but I'm specifically asking about ones to read/play for inspiration for my combat.

I'm trying to come up with something that allows the player creativity without going off the rails, as well as potentially being able to control multiple characters' actions in combat. I've got a couple ideas but I'd like to see some quests in practice before I have something concrete.
>>
File: 14.jpg (271KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
271KB, 1024x768px
Apotheosis
>>1657878
>>
>>1676439
Deniable Assets quest
Some of those tank or ship quests
Broken Sky Online quest
Maverick Hunter quest
Holy Sword quest
>>
>>1676469
>Some of those tank or ship quests

Names are incredibly helpful when recommending things, you know.

>>1676439
Here's the thing about quest combat.

You can only roll one sort of dice per roll. So design around that. Don't do any fancy shit, just have one type of dice.

Also, the less rolling, the better. A good way to do it is to have precisely one roll per action. When I say one roll, I mean whatever can be fit into a single post's roll, whether it be 2d10 or 1d6 or whatever.

Have a simple set of skills that cover most things, or difficulty checks based off of assumed skill or familiarity. Have as few modifiers as you can because once those stack up shit gets confusing. Instead of 1d100+this+that+other shit+this-something else, just have a flat modifier. The less the players have to think about numbers the better. Hell they shouldn't even think about numbers when it pertains to dice beyond "is this likely to work." Getting into minutiae bogs shit down.
>>
how should I go about multiple PCs if I want the PC count to be manageable(as in 3-5) while still allowing other anons to have fun?
Should I have the players be split evenly between the characters or something else?
>>
>>1676481
What do you mean by multiple pcs? The players have collective control of several characters? If so, at all times or rotating based on scene? Individual players have individual characters?
>>
>>1676480
Also when I say one roll, I mean one by however many people roll, basically meaning that you can take multiple rolls from multiple people, but you should never have one dude posting four fucking times to roll all his damn dice.
>>
>>1676496
I'm trying to choose how to go about it, either the first or the last thing you mentioned.
>>
>>1676513
Well, personally, I'd avoid having individual players run their own characters. Or, if you really want to go that route, why not go to a play by post forum?
You risk new players not wanting to join, and losing old players will hurt more.

The first is easy. Just run the quest like normal, and make it clear who's in the driver's seat for whatever scene you're writing, or expand the options for multiple characters

e.g.
>shit happens, what do?

>Character A

>Option A
>Option B

>Character B

>Option A
>Option B

and so on
>>
>>1676556
I usually present it as so:
>(Character A): Option 1
>(Character B): Option 2
If I really want to separate the two, I write:
>>Character A:
>Option 1
>Option 2
>>Character B:
>Option 1
>Option 2
>>
>>1676481
It's not a quest if everyone brings their own character, then it's just a regular RPG that you, for some reason, decided to play on 4chan instead of a medium actually suited for it.

If you want multiple PCs, do perspective switches.
>>
File: 1473469303062.jpg (366KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1473469303062.jpg
366KB, 1024x768px
Thank you all for the advice, I think I know how I'm gonna go about it
>>
If fanfiction quests are so easy why are there no madoka quests? It's popular enough, isn't it? Does magical girl noir cast too great a shadow?
>>
>>1676615
The spinoffs already cover quite a bit of what a fanfic quest might want as a main draw.

>what if different timeline
>you are the zombiez
>edgy magical girl killer
>>
>>1676615
Cause there is better magical girl material to use for fanfics
>>
Quick question here: who would be hyped for a Darkest Dungeon Quest? It would be my first quest in a while but I have plenty of ideas that I want to develop.
>>
>>1676900
Love Darkest Dungeon, would be interested to see how you run it. I believe that there was another one run somewhat recently, but I never played.
>>
>>1676900
>>1676907
The other one was a multi-PC mess and died the typical way these things go. At least according to my very casual glances at it.
>>
>>1676913
I don't feel like I have half the skills to make something like that... not that it would be a good idea anyway.
Instead I'll focus on worldbuilding and character interactions.
>>
>>1676913
That was my recollection, I thought it was a shame because Darkest Dungeon itself doesn't even play that way . . .

>>1676915
Yeah, part of me admires the dedication that goes into it. The other part wonders why people are so masochistic.
>>
File: 1499257270747.jpg (31KB, 480x390px) Image search: [Google]
1499257270747.jpg
31KB, 480x390px
>Melee Weapon choice
>Players pick Halberd/any type of spear
>Again

A lot of you guys consistently fondle penises with your mouths
>>
>>1676921
>offers a superior choice
>complains when players pick the best option
What did you think would happen, players purposefully handicapping themselves by choosing sub-optimally?
>>
>>1676921
and what would you prefer? "Swords"? Can you even tell the difference in how you swing a longsword and a katana?
>>
>>1677019
I can, only because I'm a martial autist. And no that isn't misspelled.
>>
>>1676921
Spears are cool though
>>
>>1677023
So autism CAN be weaponized? And they told me I was mad!
>>
>>1677050
You have to be, to weaponize it. Only a madman would turn autistic screeching into the REEEEEEEEEs of war
>>
File: change-123-1940661[1].jpg (145KB, 800x1163px) Image search: [Google]
change-123-1940661[1].jpg
145KB, 800x1163px
You know what I've not seen questing done? Split-Personality Waifu.
>>
>>1677141
No, no I haven't. Job changing mechanics in general are few and far between here.
>>
>>1677148
It's like a whole harem in one girl!
>>
>>1677141
>>1677152
Is . . . That a thing? Asking for a friend
>>
>>1677203
The manga linked is a pretty old martial arts romcom

P3/4/5 literally involves changing your personality to get along with people better, and sometimes being piggybacked by spirits.
>>
>>1677203
Yeah, caused by severe trauma. Causes the brain to split into three(At minimum) distinct personalities. Each controls the body at different times, and the switches between are normally caused by a trigger.
>>
>>1676615
There used to be loads but it's not trendy any more.
>>
>>1677152
Non-canon-chan a best.
She and Shinji were too good for this sinful earth.
Might do a cameo for them.
>>
File: Raven Guard marine.jpg (33KB, 247x400px) Image search: [Google]
Raven Guard marine.jpg
33KB, 247x400px
Chapter Master Quest is running.

>>1657409
>>1657409
>>1657409

Take command of a Chapter of the Emperor's finest in one of the oldest quests around, complete with the most extensive quest wiki there is.
>>
>>1676921
>hey, do you guys want to have the range advantage?
>Oh, also here, have one where the downsides have been minimized by centuries of refinement

>Wait what the fuck, why do you choose to have the range advantage with very few downsides?
>>
>>1677304
Polearms aren't very heroic.

You have to balance them by making the swords magic or some shit.

>why not just enchant the polearms

Something something only weapons of noble character can hold a spell/demon/fragrant scent of moist pussy, just bullshit it.

Either that or just say fuck it and have mutiple variants of polearms as the choice, and have a sidearm for when you can't use both hands to wield a long arm in the best way.

Something like:

>Main Weapon:
Spear, Halberd, Lucerne Hammer, Poleaxe, whatever your preference (No a halberd and a poleaxe are not the same thing)

>Sidearm:
Various flavors of sword and knife and similar short weapon for when you get right in the other fellow's face, or when you need to work with one hand
>>
>>1677334
>Polearms aren't very heroic
Maybe to you. What better weapon for a zero to hero story than a weapon a simple farmer could learn to use fast?
>>
>>1677334
that makes sense to me, even though I don't have that view on weapons.

BUT: Then there is no reason to offer polearms to somebody you intend to run a hero's adventure for. Literally no reason.
>>
>>1677348
>Maybe to you.

*Maybe to everybody.

Nigga.

There's a reason swords, axes, one handed weapons in general are so prevalent as the hero weapon and it ain't because of expense or practicality.

It's because they look cooler. This is not a subjective opinion, this is an objective fact. Swords are more aesthetically pleasing than long sticks with blades on the end, regardless of which is better in a fight. Shorter weapons just look better. If something looks like it's got more wood than steel then the average boner begins to go flaccid.
>>
>>1677334
>Polearms aren't very heroic.
Pfft

Nearly any weapon can be made to seem heroic as fuck if you just dress it up properly.

Take whips for example? What do you think of when you think of things associated with whips? BDSM? Slaves drivers? The guy in the circus with the creepy little mustache and the chair that fucks with a lion?

Now think of Indiana Jones. That whip is now a tool of Nazi defying, artifact finding justice.

Now try Castlevania. Oh shit, now the whip is a holy weapon. Gonna show those creatures of the night what for. Back foul beast!

Use your imagination anon.
>>
>>1677362
>Whip

It's a flail. It turns into a flail. If you find yourself constantly using a whip in castlevania you suck and can't stop dying.
>>
File: [Bait].png (85KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
[Bait].png
85KB, 200x200px
>>1677361
>>
>>1677362
The Alucard Spear is better than the whip tho.
>>
>>1669772
No its dead and anons killed it
>>
>>1677334
Have you tried writing a fight scene for a halberd? It's not as easy as it sounds.
>>
File: vladdy boy.jpg (46KB, 525x557px) Image search: [Google]
vladdy boy.jpg
46KB, 525x557px
>>1677334
>polearms aren't very heroic
Say that to may face, fucker
>>
File: 732844048_preview_1469336019039.png (238KB, 520x479px) Image search: [Google]
732844048_preview_1469336019039.png
238KB, 520x479px
Newfag with no experience who was asking about a possible WormQuest here. What do you guys think about an EYE Divine Cybermancy quest? Plot doesn't need to make much sense until a certain point, characters/NPCs can be anything, and the battle system already uses tabletop mechanics ("Good! Critical attack!", "Bullshit! Ultra-failed attack!", "Great backstab!", etc.") plus the setting is already very heavy surrealist cyberpunk so this could all work nicely. Thoughts? I'm not planning to run for a while anyways.
>>
>>1677723
Sure, go for it.
At worst it'll sink into darkness... just like everything else on this board, really.
>>
anyone wondering. Yet another jojo's bizarre adventure quest session is going on

>>1677739
>>1677739
>>1677739
>>
File: 1486150629557.png (96KB, 624x590px) Image search: [Google]
1486150629557.png
96KB, 624x590px
>>1677734
I'd rather get some experience first before I even think of attempting WormQuest. EYE Divine Cybermancy can be easier to work with because surrealism allows for a lot of leniency. Thanks.
>>
>>1677723
>>1677790
You are already making mistakes.

First off, the setting is not surrealist, the story is. The game utilizes a non-linear and surreal story telling mechanic in order to allow what would normally be a very limited and short shooter to become a cyclical and infinitely replayable game without breaking the bank. It's a low budget source game so they just made it so that the game runs in circles and you need to beat it three times to get the real ending in order to squeeze the absolute most amount of gameplay out of a relatively small amount of content.

The setting itself is, in essence, a homebrew setting based on Warhammer 40k created by the devs initially as a customized Deathwatch campaign that eventually resulted in them creating their own homebrew system. If you want to make an E.Y.E. Quest, first thing you need to do is get any notion that just rehashing the game is in any way a good idea out of your head, because that is the worst idea. The next thing you need to do is load up the game and read through every single archive and lore dump in the game and take extensive notes, then find the wiki and do the same thing. The third thing you need to do is ignore any notion that you will be actually using a real tabletop system in a quest format unless you're the kind of guy who likes jamming razor blades under your fingernails for fun. Quests are too clunky to function with an actual tabletop system, instead you need to streamline any system you use to allow any combat event to take an absolute minimum number of rolls, otherwise you will be spending entire sessions on a single fight and never get anything done.
>>
>>1677873
>You are already making mistakes.
next qtg header quote please
>>
>>1677873
Thank you for the info. I'll definitely keep all this in mind for if/when I even do this.
>>
File: Like this but FUTURE.jpg (526KB, 780x1204px) Image search: [Google]
Like this but FUTURE.jpg
526KB, 780x1204px
Running a short session of Starcaller tonight. We got Imperials inside the wire.
>>1678360
>>1678360
>>1678360
>>
File: Price of a Myth.jpg (52KB, 540x297px) Image search: [Google]
Price of a Myth.jpg
52KB, 540x297px
Forgot to mention American Arcana is back online!
>>1675497
>>
File: 1500201702783[1].png (893KB, 4000x2304px) Image search: [Google]
1500201702783[1].png
893KB, 4000x2304px
I also got a thread up at the moment based on a /tg/ thread
pic was /tg/'s map after 2 threads
>>
>>1678708
shit
>>1667326
>>
Young Monster Quest has risen from the dead.
>>1678760
>>
A quest where your goal is to take over a kingdom from the inside by managing small groups to destabilize the current ruler and gather support for yourself.

MC would be mostly in the background managing the rebellion in a Civ style. How does it sound?
>>
>>1678823
Nope. But i find civ games to be super boring so I'm probably not your target audience.
>>
>>1678823
The premise sounds interesting. I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of civ-style quests though. How deep into civ territory are we talking?
>>
>>1678823
Don't do it pure civ style and I'm on board.
>>
>>1678907
Well it is still in the planning stages, but the players are controlling the rightful heir to the throne so there is some actions they can do. There wouldn't be too much of building or changing cultures, but more of gathering support in secret and organizing revolts.

If players wanted I'd let them take a more hands on approach for diplomatic actions and possibly learn others skills.
>>
>>1678823
Read Beleaguered Prince to get an idea of how to run a similar type of story.
>>
>>1676921
Literally every time. I feel your pain.
>>
>>1679320
how the fuck are you guys still offering weapons you don't want picked
>>
>>1676921
You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never offer an option that you don't actually want to see happen in the quest!"
>>
File: Nagato, Mutsu.jpg (213KB, 850x927px) Image search: [Google]
Nagato, Mutsu.jpg
213KB, 850x927px
>>1680077
Shipgirl Commander thread up. Session running.
>>
Is it better to run a civ thread through a detailed MC or not? Like I see some where you control the whole tribe like its Civ5. Then theres some where you play a main character and its basically party management. I would rather have the former, but want to get other opinions
>>
>>1680233
define "better"

I mean really, you're comparing apples and oranges.
>>
>>1680242
I'm asking what is more popular, or what most people would prefer.
>>
>>1680258
You are gonna get different crowds for each one.
>>
>>1679340
Not even talking about as a QM holmes

Hell even if it's a

>Here's weapons. Wat do

Anon almost instinctively vote spear
>>
>>1680311
there's your problem: you did a wat do

write-in only is for people who know what they're doing.
>>
>>1680233
>>1680258
I think the general one gets you more voters, the MC one gets you dedicated followers.
>>
Character creation is SUCH a huge pitfall for new quests. No one cares what a character's name is! Just pick something! Or at least offer like 2-3 choices.

Why are so many QMs drawn to character creation and name picking specifically?
>>
>>1680377
Names are hard.
>>
>>1680377
Because it helps the quest feel more like YOUR DUDE
>>
>>1680311
It's funny to me that people think quest combat has the level of complexity required for weapon reach to actually make an impact.
>>
>>1680403
Even if it did as soon as someone got within your guard your pretty fucked with just a spear.
>>
>>1680377
It's commonly accepted that QMing by its nature is a combination between writing a story and playing a game. Quests will almost invariably have aspects from both mixed in to some degree, and what aspects you see crop up change around depending on the quest, but understanding that this is the basis for questing as an activity is necessary to look critically at its execution and trends.

For example if we look at where the pool of people who QM come from, we see that the primary staff origin can be traced back to three major pools: People who enjoy writing, but lack the motivation to do so themselves (IE: Writers), people who have a history of tabletop or classical game formats (IE: DMs), and people who show a preference towards playing the more recent visual RPGs (IE: Gamers). Obviously there are going to be more places, and some outliers, but we can use these 3 labels to identify a consensus for the mediums most QMs will typically be experienced in when they create their quest.

As one's preferences towards creation and execution are sculpted and influenced in large part by their experiences, we can look at those three things and notice immediately that there is a a focus on certain qualities, which shift across the mediums.

Writers tend to favor creating their own character name, as well as waiving mechanics when possible, because their point of origin emphasizes an established character and logical progression of events. DMs tend to favor name selection and the inclusion of randomized outcomes, because their point of origin is as the storyteller, who simply receives the characters from the players. They are responsible for running the world, while the players handle their own affairs. Gamers often cut a middle ground due to the division of RPG titles which iconically allow for great personalization and investment (TES, ME, DA, Roguelikes, Seiken Densetsu, the list goes on) and the set stories where you are there to experience a character's plot, rather than make your own (Metal Gear, KH, any FF, Musashi, etc...), but conversely also lean more towards consistent and reliable mechanical inclusions, because their point of origin is a medium which puts as much control over the success or failure of the player into the hands of said player, be it memory, execution, reaction speed, or resource management.

Although only tangentially related, it's fascinating to look at it from the point of view of where each origin is comfortable placing the impetus for success and failure in progression: In the Writer, In the Dice, or In the Player.

On the topic of names, two out of three origins emphasize the player creation of names, and the sense of investment it gives. Of the Gamer origin, it's logical to assume that on average, someone who prefers to build their own plot will also be more likely to be creating a quest, and vice-versa for players (Creation vs Consumption).

So there is a bias in origin towards leaving the name to the players.
>>
>>1680448
Note that this observation assumes an inexperienced QM who is transitioning to the field, rather than one who has meddled in it before. It's a failure (or a result, I suppose?) of attempting to convert known experiences to a new medium.

Not all name/character creations fall flat, so it isn't an objectively bad practice, but it is one which requires a more concrete idea of how to handle it than simply hoping it will turn out well. Coupled with the relative inexperience that also accompanies this attempt at adaption, the struggles that result from it are a struggle for inexperienced QMs to overcome - Primarily because they don't yet fully understand the nature of the problems and benefits it can create. This leads to frustrations, and that also helps increase the likelihood of them dropping the quest as a stillborn. There are other factors, of course, but it's a chain of events which feed into each other to create the end result.

And of course there are the lazy people who think running a quest is easy because the players decide everything. I don't have any intention of factoring them into a macro consideration, simply because they are more like chaff that filter themselves out after discovering the amount of effort required. Most people will not suddenly develop the motivation to put forth an extended amount of effort into something they only started "for shits and giggles".
>>
>>1680408
hence halberd
>>
>>1680403
A couple have it, in BQ at least I know Soma made it matter in tactics, flavortext, and corresponding dice bonuses. I remember about two instances though one was training with a companion where the MC's opponent just went past their guard and made it not matter. AEQ had it matter for the soldiers, I recall it fucking people over when heavily armored troops died in droves against polearm/spear lines in constricted city alleys, they had to be saved by mage knight iirc.
There's ways to represent most things like it, just takes QMs willing to do above the minimum of bonuses.
>>
does anyone know if that space miner quest ever continued? i was absent for several months, so i don't even.
>>
>>1680597
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=Cassidy%20Von%20Maur

Doesn't appear so, friendo.
>>
File: tumblr_o8l72yFYH51s15ztyo1_1280.jpg (286KB, 1280x758px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o8l72yFYH51s15ztyo1_1280.jpg
286KB, 1280x758px
>>1680835
>>1680835
>>1680835

Dark Empire Quest continues with a genocidal war of extermination.
>>
>>1680448
I want to point out a 4th group: people who normally get their "interactive fiction" done on forums. Those are very much on the side of char gen or "YOU is your name for this quest".
>>
File: Mr. Bennett's Drinking Problem.jpg (419KB, 635x894px) Image search: [Google]
Mr. Bennett's Drinking Problem.jpg
419KB, 635x894px
>>1680400
This.
It also serves as an icebreaker of sorts.
American Arcana is back.
>>1681835
Probably going to change the roll system soon.
>>
>>1681865
The roll system is what scares me away from your quest, so I would support it.
>>
>>1681875
I gave it too much of a grace period. It just takes too long, among other things. I like tactical depth, but it doesn't seem to work in this format.
>>
File: map1.png (1MB, 1204x1200px) Image search: [Google]
map1.png
1MB, 1204x1200px
as soon as I clean up the rules a little bit and find time to host, I'm ready for you qst. Most likely Thursday
>>
STOP ABANDONING YOUR QUESTS YOU WORTHLESS PIECES OF SHIT
>>
>>1681897
fuk u
>>
>>1681903
Go rot in an unmarked shallow grave you nigger
>>
>>1681906
I'll do that

Right beside all your favorite quests
>>
>>1681910
Just as well waiting on this shitty board to die
>>
>>1681897
I'd ask what quests hurt you, but the answer to that is probably "all of them".
>>
>>1681875
>>1681889
Following up on this, currently using temporary new system. Come in to check it out, if you want.
>>1682105
>>
File: 1345279267112.jpg (102KB, 500x560px) Image search: [Google]
1345279267112.jpg
102KB, 500x560px
>>1681927
>>1681906
>>1681897
>>
>>1681865
>It also serves as an icebreaker of sorts.
Nothing interesting happening within the first several posts of a quest is what you would call an ice breaker?
>>
>>1682162
I meant name picking.
I like to let characterization flow from decisions and player attitude.
Also, I have a tendency to put my foot in my mouth both in /qtg/ and in general, so I'll bow out of this discussion.
>>
>>1682164
>name picking
>icebreaker
>not player repellant
>>
>>1682164
Could've always chosen not to drink the qst-aid of strapping on your trip before running naked and screaming through the streets and QTG, but I guess it's too late for that now, eh?
>>
Does questing need more Gnosticism?
>>
>>1682315
A xenosaga quest would be neat, yes.

>Command a team of Realians being sent to Gnosis hotspots. Stealth it up until you can deploy the Hilbert Effect, then hunt with extreme prejudice.
>Treat the Realians as people and get them promoted and cleared for either cyborg augs or AWGS operation.
>Find out about the killswitch when someone presses it

....really, this just sounds like I want more MHQ.
>>
>>1682315
Find a SMT quest
>>
random question, but why are DBZ quests so abundant? I don't care about it particularly, since I'm not interested and don't read it, but it made me curious.

>>1666927
Depends on the quest. for skirmish games definitely Action. if Mecha Mercs skirmish taught me anything simple stuff blowing others up in a blink of an eye(unless you are prepared for taking hits) makes it easier and exciting for both QM and players. For regular storytelling-like format quests I lean towards depth. Since by nature they are less intense unless the QM forces it for the sake of story/drama, there's a lot of room for discussion even if the votes are done in 15~30 minutes. then again I don't mind Action, as long as there's a meaning to it.

tldr: depends on the type of quest.
>>
>>1681897
Tell you what, I'll keep QMing when you stop lurking and shitposting/throwing a fit everytime something doesn't go your way.
>>
File: super shitposting robot.jpg (235KB, 878x592px) Image search: [Google]
super shitposting robot.jpg
235KB, 878x592px
>>1682602
This desu.
It's like people whining about D&D but not letting the DM run anything else.
>Ugh I hate these rules let's play something else
>Wtf this is hard let's go back to playing D&D
>Why aren't there any good DMs that run something other than D&D?
If you want to see more game variety play more games.
>>
File: asymmetry.png (688KB, 1000x769px) Image search: [Google]
asymmetry.png
688KB, 1000x769px
>>1675932
yea
super robot, real robot, or spreadsheet robot?

a /tg/ and /vg/-sourced playerbase will piss and moan incessantly until you let them play with their legos in the mechlab. and if you indulge them /m/ will die of boredom.
>>
>>1682675
What is this referring to? I don't remember this being brought up in the thread.
>>
>>1682675
>There is no conspiracy to make traditional games politically correct.
Boy does starting off a diatribe with a sentence like that out of the blue really makes you think.
>>
>>1682678
It's a /tg/ copypasta. Just report and ignore.
>>
>>1682690
Oh. What a shame.
>>
wow. ningyo really followed us all the way here. Maybe there's hope for qst after all.
>>
Anybody have that one pic listing things NOT to do when running a quest, one of them being NOT saving your text/post separately to avoid it being deleted before you finish it?
>>
Thoughts on starting a quest at the end? Too likely to end up a railroad?

It'd set the tone pretty well.
>>
File: Bingo.png (165KB, 600x675px) Image search: [Google]
Bingo.png
165KB, 600x675px
>>1682903
The QM Bingo?
>>
It turns out I'm not dead after all. If you have nothing better to do...

>>1682937
>>
>>1682936
>no bingo
At least I only suck a moderate amount of dick.
>>
File: everybody-diesIMG_0045.jpg (704KB, 1595x1595px) Image search: [Google]
everybody-diesIMG_0045.jpg
704KB, 1595x1595px
>>1682931
bruh.
even if you called yourself RailroadOP, and your quest was Everybody Fucking Dies Quest, the Quest Where Everyone Fucking Dies at the End, players would still try to save everyone and be immensely butthurt when they couldn't.
>>
>>1682936
Not that one. The one Mortician (RIP) kept posting with his posts.
>>
>>1683369
>>1683369
>>1683369
For anyone interested yet another jojo's bizarre adventure quest is entering another session
>>
>>1682315
I have a couple quests in mind, with their endgame scenarios already mapped out and some major plot hooks.

You won't like the subject matter though.
>>
>>1683394
>yet another X quest
I'll never understand title's like this. It's like you want me to avoid it since you as the creator think it's a dime a dozen and not worth anyone's time.

Which is correct, but it still seems counter-intuitive to hook players in.
>>
>>1683736
I've always assumed It's because they want to head off those sorts of accusations. "Yes, I know its yet anothrr X quest."

Self-depreciating to dodge a bullet
>>
I highjacked a half assed no effort quest so if you are down with some slimeblasting then feel free to drop off.

>>1674694
>>1674694
>>1674694
>>
I'm thinking of writing a Worm x RWBY crossover quest. What do you guys think?
>>
>>1683744
but you won't GET accusations.

You just won't get players.

The only time people would say that "this type of quest has happened before" is when your quest title is literally the same, and that's more because you're going to get fucked when it's time to archive.
>>
File: 1497748792970.png (607KB, 695x871px) Image search: [Google]
1497748792970.png
607KB, 695x871px
>>1684212
>RWBY
Disgusting.
>Worm
Yes please. Better not abandon it like the last guy.
>>
>>1684997
Don't kid yourself, Worm and RWBY are equally disgusting.
>>
So Planetary Governor Quest is back it seems. I swear, that quest is the herpes of the /qst/ world. One minute you think it's gone, three months later there it is again. The QM is the most unreliable motherfucker I've ever seen. Despite that, here I go participating again...
>>
>>1682936
But aren't fanfic quests some of the most popular?
>>
>>1685296
Pretty much. A fanfic quest will get followers even if it's terrible
>>
>>1685296
Eh, most of the really popular quests right now are original universe.
>>
>>1685296
>>1685303
Continuing from that, I remember back in /tg/ a Zoids quest where we were doing some exploration in the early game, had 1 decent roll and then got a whole bunch of ridiculous fanservice bullshit dumped on us. An ancient base filled with zoids and weapons, and iirc even a organoid. It was such escapism power-fantasy bullshit
>>
>>1685296
Fanfic gives you an easy hook to initially draw players, yeah.
>>
>>1685296
Yes and no. They start off with the base setting's fanbase, which ranges from tiny to massive, and live or die on how good they actually turn out.
>>
>>1685296
The image was made in a very different age of quest history. The pros and cons of fan fiction quests were largely the same, but at the time the cons were consisted to outweigh the pros.

Since the playerbase was so much larger and people weren't living in the equivalent of the dark ages where only a tiny minority hadn't learned from past mistakes, you wouldn't be quite so desperate for players.

On the other hand, more players meant player management was more important, and fan fiction was known to attract the absolute worst of them. Whether it's the guy who immediately dumps a five-page analysis of the setting and how to solve every major problem in the universe, or the guy who flips every one of his shits at the first sign of you taking any freedoms with the setting and swears a bloody shitposting vendetta on you, or just good old waifu wars, fan fiction quests were a minefield that could only be navigated either through divine protection or by fully embracing the autism and burning it as fuel for the journey.

Different times.
>>
>>1683569
Don't tell me what I like or don't like! You're not my dad!
>>
>>1685876
Like you'd know who your dad is anon
>>
File: AEL Title.jpg (42KB, 706x693px) Image search: [Google]
AEL Title.jpg
42KB, 706x693px
This Saturday, 1900 EST (11 UTC) I'll be starting Alien: Eternal Lie. A survival horror quest that puts you in the role of Captain Bannon where you will need to guide the crew of the USCSS Melita through an unfolding nightmare in space.

In space, you'll hope it doesn't hear you scream.

https://twitter.com/MU_TH_UR_6000
>>
File: qst header.png (54KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
qst header.png
54KB, 800x800px
Do you ever feel like /qst/ shies away from interactivity?
There's a certain distaste towards character generation (which is understandable, seeing how severely it hinders the plot development), battle systems and dice rolls (these are replaced with a QM fiat). Write-ins are usually substituted for a list of options to "give the quest direction". Instead of allowing players to choose their path, QMs are encouraged to pick the option that makes sense for the character or helps advance the plot.
Not a bait post, please give (You)s :V
>>1677895
I tried.
>>
>>1686379
Most of the quest I see that shine are ones that use dice and relish in write-ins. Also while character generation isn't popular here it is actually used often and doesn't cripple a quest as much as people in these threads say.

Like what popular quest don't use dice?
>>
File: 1474258300749.gif (139KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1474258300749.gif
139KB, 250x250px
>>1686379
I don't feel like it's some sort of collective tendency to not want to interact because while rare, the busier threads are bursting with interaction and discussion. Chargen typically gets skipped or streamlined not really because no one wants to talk but because it saves the QM from having to deal with a lack of people wanting to take the time to vote on traits and the usual bullshit like

>Male or Female?
>Futa loli catgirl pls

It saves time and hell, it might even give the quest stronger direction in the beginning if the QM knows who the PC is gonna be from the beginning.

As for battle systems and dice rolls. I'd say that's moreso from laziness and a general desire for simplicity. To my knowledge there were some notable quests with their own systems but it seems most QMs (myself included) just want to roll something and determine the outcome from one or two numbers and move on.

>Write-ins are usually substituted for a list of options to "give the quest direction". Instead of allowing players to choose their path, QMs are encouraged to pick the option that makes sense for the character or helps advance the plot.
Not entirely certain what you mean by this. Do you mean write-ins go by the wayside in favor of prompts? If so, the reason for that is seen constantly. Leaving the direction completely in the hands of players leads to getting very few responses or no responses at all. Prompts, and a write-in option when appropriate work better because the QM can offer direction and make sure they won't be faced with something they don't want to write while leaving the "suggestions box" open for players with more initiative to put their two cents in. The "what do?" pitfall is very real.
>>
>>1686396
This. All of this.

On that note, I think someone should compile/create a list of successful/usable dice systems for quests. Codify the dice a bit.

"This quest uses Black Company Dice Scheme"

It would be a nice resource for new QMs I think. A write up of what systems exist, roughly how they work, and what they do best.
>>
>>1682405
Mecha Mercs! Were the tanks aren't and missile spam wins.
Great stuff, simple action.
There's a lot of skirnishes but none quite like mecha mercs. Any of them come close?
>>
File: 1490575593270.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1490575593270.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
>>1685876
>>1685882
>dads

About that matter...
>>
Since translations of Macross: The Ride are impossible to come by, I was thinking of a short-lived quest on that premise with my own take on air racing.

However, air racing in real life is like time trial/rally-style instead of head to head racing, so I'll have to figure out some actual intricacies of aerial racing to make it work out.

Anyone like this idea?
>>
>>1686440
Unironically an excellent idea.
I'd help, but I suck at making coherent systems. I could try, but quality would be down.
>>
>>1685311
Probably because they have the hardest working QMs. Once you get past basic skill and having a cool premise, effort is what counts.
>>
File: Thrawn_Fleet.jpg (46KB, 350x447px) Image search: [Google]
Thrawn_Fleet.jpg
46KB, 350x447px
>>1687292
>>1687292
>>1687292

Dark Empire continues. Come subjugate a planet or two!
>>
>>1686594
I say do it anyway.
>>
>>1686440
>>1686594
I can do Combat Chain and possibly Beleaguered Prince's if it comes down to it, but any other system I know is either more focused on what things you frame as a choice and balance, or simply untested shit I've spitballed.
>>
>>1686379
You are idealizing Write-ins far too much. They aren't that great in practice, and more easily just kill the quest's interactivity rather than encourage it.

On a more personal opinion, I am actively encouraging simpler dice because these QMs need more experience. They really just need more experience with both writing and dealing with a playerbase before juggling complex systems on top of that. Same for the players themselves, really. Need to cut your teeth on simpler voting styles or they'll just lurk whenever the complex mechanics get pulled out.

>But nooooo, I'm a big boy!
>I can't even expect you to browse the quests where the systems I might suggest originate from. Very few new QMs breach a certain level of overall competency where I can respect their choices for these situations as adults.
>>
>>1687745
Nerve Bridge simulator counts the first d10. anything higher than 5 is a success and the next 5 rolls can modify the score.

10 = +1
1 = -1
>>
>>1687796
There is not much point in telling me that.

Either that description alone is enough and YOU should do it, or you need a more thorough understanding to list of the pros and cons of the system. So, what are you trying to achieve by telling me this?
>>
>>1687820
Trying to add another dice system to your repertoire?

Maybe trying to spur others to detail systems they're aware of?

The world may never know.
>>
>>1687962
I MUST KNOW

TELL ME

GIVE ME YOUR SECRETS, O MYSTERIOUS ONE
>>
>>1687413
Okay.

For games with Scooby Gangs or four-man parties (Persona, some anime quests, the like), how about this?
>Every character has a set of four skills, the A, B, C, and D skills, and a charge meter, with six or so points of charge.
>A skills spend most if not all of the charge, and are quite powerful. Reviving ally, dealing severe damage to all enemies, etc.
>B skills spend half or less of the charge, and are powerful but not as powerful as the A skills. Healing all allies, heavily debuffing one enemy, etc.
>C skills spend one unit of charge, effectively preventing the character from regenerating charge, and are not too strong, a little stronger than basic attacks.
>D skills spend no charge and are very weak, almost like passive skills or basic attacks.
>Every character regains one charge per turn unless otherwise specified.

So it's a matter of now-or-later strategy. Not sure if this should be deterministic or allow for more randomness. Maybe roll 1d6 for every character in the party plus a 'wild die' and have the players choose who gets the wild die or if they want to discard it?
Needs more work, I think.
>>
>>1688277
Is this an existing system? Where was it used?
>>
>>1688361
I just grabbed the charge idea from Advance Wars and mixed it up with Bravely Default's SP system.
>>
>>1688369
I think we should keep untested systems in a separate list from "already used by quests". Go ahead though.

>>1688277
You're juggling 4 charge meters, and expecting players to both care and agree on how each one should be expended every round. I don't know about this.
>>
>>1688379
Eh, fair enough. I sort of saw it as a 'basic' regenerating HP/SP system.
It's hard to juggle four characters at once for a single-MC quest and expect every character to have their own set of moves with any sort of mechanical complexity.
The other way I was thinking of doing it was that the rest of the party gives the MC passive bonuses and the MC can spend from the single charge bar to get another party member to take an action, in addition to the MC's.
Also, I was thinking of BP, not SP.
>>
>>1688414
I recommend only having the MC have a charge meter/BP, and even that I'm on the fence on.

For the others, only list their abilities. Never give them the exact same set. Instead of telling them exactly what to do, frame it from a more tactical perspective, with abilities only there to give you an idea of what they can do.
>Flank them here, C
>B, stay here with me and unload all you've got
>D, sit this one out. You're injured and need to charge up.
>>
>>1688452
ehhhhh. i'm really not a fan of the concept of "charging up" too gamey.
>>
>>1688452
Sure. My mechanical autism demands that I stat stuff up, but I suppose just listing the general
>This person is strong doing X, Y and Z and weak with A and B
could be enough.
I'm just so used to playing more rigidly-defined RPGs that I've taken it as an assumption that combat is more mechanically complex than the rest of the game by default.
>>
>>1688464
You need to play it both from a player and QM perspective in a quest to understand that many mechanics don't port over very well.

The main reason is because of voting. When you need to wait for a consensus every "round", you can't afford to waste time with mini-actions. Even assuming you're able to update fast enough, players have to keep tabs for more than half an hour just to do a full defend round or full attack round.

Then you have to consider which mechanics make for good spectacle in writing. That's why being fast and loose with the rules is the preferred, since it's easier to fudge things with more writing.
>>
>>1688475
All right. I'll take your word for it.
As stupid as it seems to say that it sounds 'too' freeform to play like that, that's my main real issue with it. Guess I'll have to take a better hold of the fluff to make up for lack of crunch.
I'll probably just assign everyone in the party flat stats and have said stats added to the player's roll depending on what they want to do and what they want their teammate to do. Like having both character's Strength bonuses added together for a roll to shove something.
>>
Are there any good horror/survival horror based quests?

I just finished Ruby Quest and I need a fix.
>>
>>1688746
Princess Guard Quest
>>
>>1688746
there's always lovecraftian horror around, but survival horror's a bit rare
>>
>>1688746
Though it lived for only a short time, I have fond memories of Varuna Base Quest.
>>
>>1688746
>>1686198

This tomorrow

>>1688756

Survival horror. Good? You tell me.
>>
Civving is suffering.
>>
>>1688934
come, my child, and tell me of your pain
>>
>>1677873

Yes. I ran a party-on-party fight using tabletop rules. It took me SIX MONTHS to cover the battle. Think about it: SIX MONTHS.
>>
>>1686379
For my next quest, I'll try to give a bigger to "gameplay" (read dice rolls and such) instead of going the full narrative route but that's more as a challenge to myself and to better fit the base material.
But honestly, both approaches have advantages: narrative gives more freedom to the writer while gameplay involves the player more.

As for chargen, I'd tend to agree with >>1686396 though I'll add that in some cases it's because the scenario just doesn't allow a random MC in the beginning; you can always leave a few things up to chance such as the dreaded "gender vote" but it's more details than anything.
>>
File: IMG_9398.gif (1MB, 480x351px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9398.gif
1MB, 480x351px
>mfw my setting timeline is taking too long
>mfw I haven't even started on the company list I made for the setting.
>mfw I haven't started on spaceships.
>mfw I haven't started on star systems.
>mfw I haven't started on characters.
>mfw Im only about 25% through my timeline.
>mfw all I have is a shit ton of made up medicine and drugs.

Who else is autisticly and endlessly world building?
>>
>>1689193
that's retarded. Do that for traditional RPGs, not for a medium where ease of entry and succinctness are prime virtues.
>>
>>1689193
Even if you somehow satisfied yourself and finished your setting it would be too damn dense for a Quest. Calm down and think about what you need to make your setting whole for what you intend to do in a quest.
>>
>>1689193
How much of this is relevant to the plot

The difference between the percentage of that and 100 percent, multiplied by two, is how much you have fucked up.
>>
File: 1447479508627.jpg (2MB, 2279x1019px) Image search: [Google]
1447479508627.jpg
2MB, 2279x1019px
>>1689241
Fleets of God quest is a go
>>
>>1689193
And you'll still only get 1 or 2 players.
>>
>>1689306
>>1689306
Panzer Commander Quest is up for the week, starting every day at around 3-4PM EST. Watch in horror as further bullshit happens that makes this mess more and more difficult to summarize in any way other than "I don't even know what the fuck is happening anymore and the QM's either retarded or insane."

>>1689193
>who else is autistically and endlessly worldbuilding

Autistically for damn certain at least. Unsure how anybody tolerates it.
>>
>>1689239
Settings are reuseable.

>>1689200
You're speaking of writing and the presentation of a setting, that being the handling of a setting, and not the actual setting itself as I'm looking for polish not over complexity just for the sake of complexity. If you know what and where something is then you'll have a more harmonious story instead of some off the top of your head dissident material where you're constantly making things up.
>>
Things I miss

>Nerv Bridge Simulator
>Mortician
>Frilled to Run
>my dignity

Qst is pain.
>>
File: Quest Header.jpg (32KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
Quest Header.jpg
32KB, 564x564px
Hey, QM for Metahuman Quest here. Been on hiatus for about a month due to real life difficulties and I think I can get back to running real soon. Not sure how many of you out there that give a shit but I figure letting people know another DC quest will be available soon couldn't hurt.
>>
>>1688825
Thanks Anon, this was exactly what I was looking for too bad it died so soon.
>>
>>1689561
Mortician is alive mate it's just been 1 week. I had a 1-10 on Friday and I'll be off this Friday so I'll be able to make one. But like I said earlier I'm autisticly spending all my extra time doing a setting.
>>
>>1690288
Phone posting is pain.
>>
>>1690288
Oh shit. I meant next week I'll be off of work. Today I'm closing, working till 10pm, and I'll probably not have a lot of time to complete the obituary. I'll try to do one but if I do it'll be terse.
>>
File: 1478528854426.png (424KB, 612x537px) Image search: [Google]
1478528854426.png
424KB, 612x537px
>>1690288
>Mortician is alive
THE LEGEND
NEVER DIES
ONLY QUESTS
>>
>>1689684
Which is especially strange considering it was a Schteel quest, and his best quality is how often and regularly he runs his quests.
>>
so how the fuck is a CYOA thread different than a Quest, and why are the autists at /tg/ allowed to run those there?
>>
>>1690708
Did you look inside before you came here to post about it?
>>
>>1690739
No. I saw an acronym and flipped out.

It's a /qst/ in a pdf? I honestly, genuinely don't understand and I want to be spoon fed an answer.
>>
Is SB or SV better?
>>
>>1690758
Because it's only one thread.

>>1690825
Suicide.
>>
>>1690758
The main CYOA thread is an entire thread of people who post pictures with choices and other people who reply with what they've chosen.

Through reading the text provided, you learn about the setting, your place in it, and where your adventure might be headed. Alternatively, it's a bunch of waifus and wish-fulfillment set to a backdrop of utter nonsense.

The other CYOA shit, I looked at twice and promptly forgot about. If you want to learn about them, go check it out yourself instead of being a lazy bum.
>>
>>1690905
Fair. Thanks for the overview though.

I really tried. I read two of them but didnt "get" it.

Not to mention the second part of my question which is "why are they not exiled here?"
>>
>>1690967
Because they wouldn't fit here, honestly. Nobody's been able to raise enough of a shitfit over the CYOA generals, and you can't spin a move to qst as "beneficial" in any way.
>>
>>1690967
>>1691192
oh, and making them move it to qst as an official rule would create a glaring inconsistency with the official description of /qst/.

Which would mean making an ACTUAL description of a quest and a possible renaming to /fg/. For some reason, the mods aren't keen on doing that.
>>
File: Survey Ship.jpg (166KB, 1024x437px) Image search: [Google]
Survey Ship.jpg
166KB, 1024x437px
Trawler Quest returns this Sunday. hopefully with the QM's enthusiasm renewed and sustained.
>>
>>1691415
Did you play Daymare Town for ideas?
>>
>>1691415
FUCK YEAR
>>
>>1690394
>>1690403
Sorry none tonight got out later than I was supposed to (hour later). I'll be able to do one next week since I'll be off.

Screencapped

I'm really sorry.
>>
Oh boy
>>1691444
>>1691444
>>
>>1692003
ABOUT
FUCKING
TIME
>>
>>1692031
No anon. That isn't a quest, multiple people are working on it. Quest are defined as "single authors". This now means mods can just put any threads they don't like here
>>
>>1692051
So collaborative quests aren't quests?

Man what a relief just find a co-author and suddenly you're in the clear.
>>
>>1692068
Don't be dense, the whole thing is structured so everyone in there is a player and writer. It would be like if the Penal Legion threads got banished here.
>>
>>1692083
They will be, eventually. /tg/ is for rules autism, that guy threads and shitty memes only.
>>
>>1692083
>don't be dense

You might want to start that first. If you're going to pull semantics, you'd best be aware of precedents, especially if you're trying to say something isn't something despite there being a past example that proves otherwise.

Do you really think nonsense like "oh quests are only a single author" was going to get you a fraction of an inch with anybody that mattered? When the definition of a quest is so goddamn loose anyways? There's an ongoing plot over many threads with interactive writefaggotry, it may as well be a quest.

If you seriously didn't see this coming and weren't just counting the days til some fag raised a stink, you're blind. I'll bet my left nut that Penal Legion and whatever else will be getting kicked here within the week. Sorry that you stopped avoiding notice, but the wrong people bitched so you get to share our hole.
>>
>>1692157
I've been posting here awhile before the thread got moved, so sorry to burst your bubble. Also by your definition world building threads belong here too.
>>
>>1692177
Guess what's being moved here next fagaloon :^)

For somebody who's been posting here a while you have a shockingly optimistic view of when and where your ass is going to be invaded.
>>
>>1692191
At least I'm not a retard that thinks Polearms aren't heroic :^]

But on a serious note I don't know why I'm optimistic. I some corner and unknown part of my heart still holds hope even after watching quest I liked die when /qst/ was first made.
>>
File: 1499373880270.png (439KB, 900x890px) Image search: [Google]
1499373880270.png
439KB, 900x890px
>>1682345
>>1683569
>>1686471

Nobody is up for gnosticism?

>>1682345
>>1682623

I have no like of lego spreadsheeting, nor of tactical operators operating tactically, we have a bazillion of that in every flavor imaginable.
>>
I need voters for my quest. If you are interested in sci-fi, war and cute elves, this is for you.
>>1692446
>>
>>1692344
I'm not sure what you're asking me
>>
>tfw wanna run a quest but not sure which concept to go with.

Kill me.
>>
>>1693021
Just roll for it then choose the one you liked slightly more anyways
>>
File: 1285486486121.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1285486486121.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>1693021
>tfw you have concepts and settings that've worked with friends and others you've DM'd for
>tfw you have fun playing quests and know you'd have fun running quests for as long as you're able
>tfw you've tooled dozens of ideas into quests from threadbare to autistically detailed over hundreds of breaks and commuting
>tfw they're varying in every degree for each individual concepts' theme and storygaming approach and at least one tenth feel runnable
>tfw you can set a schedule and keep it for months in advance except you don't have free time to actually run even with sacrificing sleep
>tfw you know you'll never abandon players because you know how shitty it feels
>tfw you must quest but have no time
>tfw kids also need adulting
>tfw you want to return to a time in life when these things were possible and you only hope quests will exist as a medium for enough years for your beautiful parasites to become happy and independent.
>tfw this has been your face since at least 06

Free me.
>>
>>1693474
I can't imagine *not* having time to run a quest, especially if youve done that much prep work. I mean, a very "low impact" quest would do, as long as you make it clear delays will be long. You really only need one weekend to get it going, and then you've got players hooked.
>>
>>1693502
Even as I type this on my laptop I'm at a tower training an intern while making up for a mistake made 4-5 years ago by the same guy who made the same mistakes on 20+ towers, it's 11hrs into shift and there'll be 13~ tomorrow after a 2hr drive. Repeat from mon-thurs, weekends (like this one) occupied with making up for other work problems or getting ahead of work. The rest of the week and weeks following will follow suit. I shouldn't complain because I've got retirement for me and college for my kids guaranteed so long as people need their cell phones. I'm aware I could work less, but I want to continue doing what I do for as long as I can going into my 30s before I reach the point of "oh shit my body won't let me pull this crap anymore."

At home, for about 2, 3, or rarely 4 days a week, it's family time or stuff that isn't work related because the focus has been spent on just about everything else. Worldbuilding/shitposting/playing quests on my phone while driving and being a moronic danger to society are just the closest remnants of questing I can get to.

For perspective, I began typing this during a lull waiting for a helper to arrive, and finished it on my lunch break, until tomorrow morning the most I can manage will be reading or giving one-liner suggestions. The most precious god damned thing in the world is time, and there is never enough of it.
>>
It's not a feasible use of time if I can squeeze 3-4 more hours of sleep in. To run a quest, like a DMing session, I want at least 8 hours of free time not including session specific prep (which I've often recurrently learned is a less detailed but best made outline either after or shortly before a session, based on how a session went and how players reacted, and that's all information that can't be known more than at most three sessions ahead of time), and it's not time I can reliably spare. That is to say even if I have those hours free, they're not gonna be consistently the same hours on a weekly basis, and I'm not a That DM who would wants to subject any kind of player to that kind of inconsistency.

At the same time, the inconsistency would drain me just like trade work did for me and DMing during college. Both will suffer, and it's better to do two or three things good than four or five things poorly.

And I do realize I'm fundamentally prioritizing one thing over the other and my minimum 8hr need is a limiting factor, but so far the enjoyment of participating in things like HQQ, Trawler, and various others along with the odd doomed-to-failure qstborne mistake has been 'just entertaining enough' for the time being.

Still, I come to these generals and lurk often because it all lacks something.
The group dynamics from DMing in college that I miss the most. Just seeing players work together, or against each other, to eke out progress in something I've built or trying to break a setting in all the best or worst ways possible while haphazardly taping together a story or what looks like one around their antics is just this superbly rewarding feeling for any amount of effort put into the ideas and time spent on making it possible. This kind of feeling is unique DMing or things that are like it.

The level of work is not really work in the bogged down sense, it's large collections and collations of ideas that I've enjoyed conjuring, one-handedly typing, and musing about during the small between hours to distract from work, family, planning, etc.
I'll run a quest eventually, but I feel like it's worth putting more time into living the kind of life that would allow me best to do things like that.
>>
>>1693502
>>1693693
IE, retire early, do general family things, run DM sessions online, reunite with old friends who maybe have less or more free time, perhaps run quests in whatever interactive form they take in the next decade.
Or die trying, because all my "real adult goals" feel like shit compared to all the small enjoyments and the DMing mistakes I made as a college junior. I'll remain realistic but there's no point in being dishonest about the emotional drain, it's not gonna vanish like a newbie QM on the wind after all. It's also not worth ruminating negatively too much on factually achievable and realistic goals, I want to DM so much, I know worldbuilding won't be enough because it's not interactive, it's not people, and I'm afraid these kinds of things will just become "my past" and I'll move on from all things like 4chan, quests, tabletop, because my time just can't be spent on them. It's just a matter of patience until, but I don't know if that 'until' will happen. Life is ambigious like that, no matter how hard and set someone's goals are, you just don't fucking know.
Hopefully, it'll be worth it. I feel like that's the most one can genuinely hope for.
>>
>>1693695
Well for your own sake, I sincerely hope you find time at some point to fire off a quest. Sounds like you got your IRL shit in order though, I'm sure there are others here who have that backwards, and, to tell you the truth, I am not sure which is better.
>>
File: tumblr_oswnh6RnBM1woof3io1_540.gif (2MB, 540x377px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oswnh6RnBM1woof3io1_540.gif
2MB, 540x377px
Alien: Eternal Lie

>>1694082
>>1694082
>>1694082

Even in the still blackness of space, death comes for us all . . .
>>
>>1693752
>I am not sure which is better.
Probably the one that's doing something with his life.
>>
>>1694132
I'm inclined to agree, but I know not everyone will.
>>
Death Among the Stars 79 is up

>>1694216
>>1694216
>>
File: 2.1.jpg (614KB, 890x890px) Image search: [Google]
2.1.jpg
614KB, 890x890px
An update on the Paladin of Avalon is up!
https://fiction.live/stories/The-Paladin-of-Avalon/-JRvxJl3loGBg9Bo64XE/30-A-hero-should-only-be-one/XFMpzuaivwm87CH6K
The Wolven Principality
>>
File: It's You.png (172KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
It's You.png
172KB, 800x800px
This is Coffee Quest. It's a thing. Maybe take a look if you find the time.
>>1693646
>>
Please follow this quest good
t. Anon
>>1695678
>>
Anyone running something in the same vein as Crusty's HMQ? Withdrawal hitting hard
>>
>>1696582
Have you tried Princess Guard Quest?
>>
>>1696783
Not yet. Have been warned away from it on occasion though
>>
>>1696795
That's bullshit. It's a fantastic quest and very similar to HMQ.
>>
>>1696796
Ill give it a look then. Can't hurt
>>
I have finished my uni stuff, I have a full week of nothing ahead of me! BEHOLD!
SKAVEN QUEST IS BACK ON!!!!
>>1697122
>>
>>1696798
>Can't hurt
Hah
>>
>>1694132
>Having a normal life.

DEleTe! Normies no!
>>
File: Trawler Quest Title 11.jpg (158KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
Trawler Quest Title 11.jpg
158KB, 1024x600px
Trawler Quest #11 is starting!

>>1698144
>>1698144
>>
File: opopopopopopopopopop.png (309KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
opopopopopopopopopop.png
309KB, 1024x1024px
>>1698533
Psion Academy Quest is back, and it only took almost 6 months to hit thread 10, wow!
>>
File: Order In The Court.jpg (232KB, 1200x720px) Image search: [Google]
Order In The Court.jpg
232KB, 1200x720px
>>1699285
American Arcana is having a special session to recap, answer fluff questions, and help me learn how to suck less dick.
>>
Serious question.

Why all the disdain for fanfic quests? Like, sure there are shit awful pandering cancerous fanfic quests, but there are also engaging and well executed ones.

The same could be said of original quests. From what I have seen, Fanfic quests are by far and away the most popular quests. That Star Vs quest got like 10000 people playing.

Is it like a cinemaphile's disdain for "popular movies"? Citizen Kane compared to Transormers 5: 2fast2transform?

I'm curious what the general population here thinks.
>>
>>1699545
Examine the typical amount of effort it takes to build a player base for original content.

Now examine the typical amount of effort it takes to get a playerbase for a popular thing.

Therein lies the reason for spite.
>>
File: Snakins3.png (53KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Snakins3.png
53KB, 1024x768px
I miss this quest, I wonder if this guy still does quests.
>>
>>1699559
So is it just a spite thing?

Cause I know I feel that way about certain fan fiction quests. Star Vs But I feel like it's mostly unfounded. I mean, even using a popular setting is no guarantee you'll have players flocking to you. It usually still has to be good, effort put in etc.

Just saying
>Be naruto
>Good at kung fu
>Wat do

isn't enough to get a successful quest going. usually . . .

Of course, as the author of a fanfic quest I may biased, but I fully recognize and admire the huge amount of work that goes into a successful original idea quest.
>>
Aside from the pastebin, any other tips for the first post of a new quest?
>>
>>1699675
Make a Twitter if you plan to run more than one session. There's more general advice floating around here somewhere . . .
>>
>>1699595
Here's the thing.

When you make an OC setting, you have to seduce players to read your material. You have to blindly hope that it's something they like, that it looks good, and that your hook is good enough. People don't have all the time in the world to read all the shit that comes through the catalog and chances are that unless you're stellar you won't get the time of day from most.

Now fanfiction, on the other hand, you have people looking specifically for. From the first minute, they see the title, and they know it's something they'll be interested in. If you think the quality of fanfiction needs to set a high bar, ha ha ha ha ha ha. Not like it has much competition as far as writing quality goes anyhow.

The other thing is that when you get into an OC setting, you don't know jack. You haven't watched all 200 episodes of Super Seppuku Gaiden, you know dick shit. You don't have numerous wikis to check for every detail, you have suptg archives, at best.

A big draw for fanfiction is that players get to come in and, right off the bat, know everything. They don't need to feel confused or stupid that they don't know something, because whenever they see something they don't recognize that the author didn't introduce (because they aren't writing for people who don't know the setting) chances are they can just look up the funny word on a dedicated wiki. Ease of access is a serious boon, and there's nothing that draws in players like familiarity.

Doing a fanfiction quest, in the minds of those who are spiteful of the ease of their success, is basically like questing on a tandem bike with training wheels.

>>1699675
Don't fuck up your first post. It's the most important one of the entire quest.
>>
>>1699675
If you use a combat or conflict resolution system, keep it simple. Learned that one the hard way, had to completely overhaul mine.
>>
>>1699980
As an addendum to this, this is not necessarily as much the case in fanfiction that deviates heavily from the source. However, knowledge of general concepts and the way the world works still makes it incredibly easy to walk into compared to any OC quest at all.
>>
>>1699545
>>1699595

I posted about this earlier, so I'll gladly do it again. >>1685508

Historically, fanfiction quests were the autism centrals of a pastime activity that wasn't exactly known for its socially well adjusted members to begin with. Now you have people citing spite, jealousy, and so on, but originally this was what it came down to. Fanfiction was reviled for the nature of its audience, not simply for having an audience. That is how the precedence for hating fanfiction was set. The arguments may have changed, but that is the history.
>>
>>1699980
Thanks, a lot of good points here. I also want to clarify, not saying fan fic quests have to be good or well written, but they generally have to be semi-compotent.

>>1700363
Good read, a lot of good information here, and I can definitely see that.
>>
>>1700847
but there's also a bit of notoriety for....well, ACTUALLY being bad.

One reason is that the QM has a half-baked idea of what they wanted to do in the first place. They just wanted to do something related to that show they liked, and kinda wing it from there. You'll certainly get a crowd that likes that sort of thing, but as a story it lacks....meaning. A point. Usually it'll be escapism or power fantasy for its own sake, although you get examples of that in OC settings as well.

The other is that a fanfic setting can be restrictive as well. If you attract a certain type of fan, you're going to get a lot of shit for deviating from canon when you didn't mean to or explicitly mention. If you don't portray a character properly, you'll get complaints, and you'll probably get some conflict between following the original show's logic and injecting some realism.

A lot of shows kind of fall apart when faced with the power of Rudimentary Communication.

Some authors feel that fanfic quests are HARDER because they don't want to get shit "wrong", and that pressure is stressful.
>>
File: 1497241205870.png (732KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
1497241205870.png
732KB, 1200x675px
Is it recommended that a first-time QM DOESN'T do a fanfic quest, based on what I'm reading?

I've had an idea that I've thought about on and off for over a year at this point, and I feel like I'm close to actually working the details out and starting it up. It takes place in an existing universe, but in a different setting with an original cast; I plan on only one character from the original series appearing, and that's for an explicitly plot-driven purpose.

I was worried all the thought put into it would be brushed aside because there seem to have been so many quests in this universe (I don't use /qst/ much in all honesty but I've seen at least one every time I've checked in), but evidently it's easy to bring people in with a fanfic quest and the problem lies in the pitfalls of using it as cruise control.

As I stated almost a week ago in this thread (before getting sidetracked from focusing on it), I'm still working out how to make the combat system (the replies I got definitely are helping me think), so I'm not ready yet anyway, but I guess I'm just hesitant to go ahead with it regardless.
>>
>>1701140
Run whatever you want.
>>
>>1701140
Depends on what universe that is.
>>
>>1701140
Nah I'd recommend doing a fanfic quest first. The player draw mentioned from doing a fanfic is the important bit and if you can do the quest competently you'll have a core playerbase.

From there you can do an OC quest with that core playerbase following you instead of hoping you get lucky enough to get players.
>>
>>1701167
Unless you shill in your fanfic thread the odds are super low though. Look at Ravenking. Overwatch quest gets good chunk of people then his other quest that are OC get maybe 5 max.
>>
Starcaller Quest is running right now:
>>1701237
>>1701237
>>1701237
>>
>>1701177
The trick is actually finishing your fanfic quest before you do the OC.

Doing that gives you a rep of someone who actually gets things done instead of what Ravenking did, spreading himself over two quests, and finishing neither. Which also gives the rep of someone who can't commit to one thing.
Thread posts: 360
Thread images: 59

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.