[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quest Beyond the Gate: Chapter 70

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 1

>/qst/ Thread Archive: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=Beyond%20the%20Gate
>QM Twitter: twitter.com/SmileytheQM
>General Info (Updated as I go): http://pastebin.com/ffH25ciB

"Oh!" Stella says. "Speaking of running hot, I should make you guys some tea"

"That would be nice" You say.
"Do you have any bird cups?" Ava asks.
"Not here, but I should be able to borrow one from my neighbour" Stella says. "Give me just one second"

Stella hops off the couch, and strides out the door.

Once she's gone, Ava turns to you. "Your friend is weird" She says.
"Says the girl who checks if windows are open with her face" You say. "How's the nose feeling?"
"Not bleeding anymore" Ava says.

"You have Stella to thank for that" You say. "And you should"
"She broke my nose" Ava says.
"She was trying to be helpful" You say. "When Emi gets here, she'll be able to fix you up"

"We should have waited for her in the first place..." Ava says.
"You could have let Stella do it, you know" You say. "She's not an expert like Emi, but she seemed to know what she was doing"

Ava covers her nose. "But it hurt..." She says.
"It was never going to be a painless process" You say. "And your squirming didn't help"
"I know..." Ava says.

>Then you should apologize

>So what does a bird cup look like?

>You seemed to be enjoying yourself up there earlier

>Other
>>
>>1636016
>So what does a bird cup look like?
Hey Smiley, glad you're back
>>
>writing
>>
"But enough about that. We'll worry about your nose and your manners when Emi and Stella are here" You say. "What does a bird cup actually look like?"

"It's just a regular cup, but it's thicker and it has a little ring for my toe" She says.
"Do you need one? You were using the normal cup just fine yesterday" You say.

Ava shrugs. "It's easier" She says. "I almost burned my foot on last night's cocoa"
"You should have said something" You say.

She shrugs again "It wasn't that bad" She says.

"So uhh... I wasn't interrupting something when I crashed into the window, was I?" She asks.

>Not really

>We were having a moment...

>Why do you ask?

>Other
>>
>>1636116
>Not really
>>
>writing
>>
>>1636150
Did you have a pleasant Canada Day Smiley?
>>
>>1636153
I did indeed. Nothing too exciting, but I had a good time.
>>
"Not really. We were just kinda... sittin'" You say.
"Just sittin'?" Ava asks. "Not talking at all?"
"No" You say.

"Huh..." Ava says.
"Is that weird?" You ask.
"Could be" She says.
"What's that supposed to mean?" You ask.

Ava shrugs.

"You're not being helpful" You say.
"You never asked for help" She says.

You let out a sigh, and slump back into the couch.

Before you can respond, you hear the door open.

"Oh, hey Stel-..." You say, trailing off when you see who came in. "Oh, it's Emi"
"Were you expecting someone else?" Emi asks.
"Stella left to borrow a bird cup from her neighbour" You say.
"Oh... I thought it was weird that she was over there chatting" Emi says, as her eyes fall on Ava. "Oh, goodness. I can see why you called me"

"It wasn't this bad before" You say. "But she wouldn't sit still while Stella was trying to set it"
"Ahh..." Emi says. "I hope she's learned her lesson from that. I won't be able to fix this if she can't hold still"

Ava's feathers turn yellow and green. "I-I can sit still! Honest!"

Emi looks to you.

>She learned her lesson

>Feel free to hold her down

>Other
>>
>>1636199

All done with your move, or did you just find some free time to run?
>>
>>1636199
>>
>>1636205
Move's basically done, but it's just the first. In a few weeks I'll be moving again, but this time it'll be to the other side of the country.

>writing
>>
>>1636233
"Feel free to hold her down" You say,

Ava lets out a squawk.

"Don't worry, Ava. I promise I'll be gentle" Emi says, as she slides up to the bird. "Now... hold still please"

Emi gently holds Ava's head while she examines the wound.

You notice a distinct difference in how Emi does tis, and the way Stella handled it: confidence. Stella may have said she knew what she was doing, but Emi doesn't even have to say it. You can tell that she can fix this just by looking at her.

"Aaaand... there" Emi says. You hear a slight popping sound as she puts Ava's nose back into place. "Now we close it up, and you're good"
"That's it?" Ava asks.

"That's it" Emi says. "Not so bad, right?"
"I guess not..." Ava says.

Emi creates her usual healing ball of water, and starts closing up the wound. Meanwhile you-

>Ask how she learned to be so confident

>See what's taking Stella so long

>Ask where Emi was when you sent for her

>Other

(Taking a short dinner break here. Will get to writing when I return)
>>
>>1636233
>other side of the country
Oh snap
Moving out to the west coast (best coast)?
>>
>>1636244
>>
>>1636244
>>
>>1636244
>See what's taking Stella so long
>>
>>1636248
Yep.

>writing
>>
"Where'd you learn to do that?" You ask.
"To... heal? I already told you-"
"No, not the healing... well, yes the healing. But not the healing" You say.

Emi lets out a nervous laugh. "You... could be making more sense right now..." She says.
"I mean the way you do it with so much confidence" You say. "Like you don't have to tell anyone that you've got this, because you've just... got this"

"That takes practice" Emi says. "It's easy to look like you know what you're doing when you actually know what you're doing"

"I kinda wish I could do that..." You say.
"You can. I've seen you" She says. "Remember when you stepped into the ritual chamber?"

"Back in Bell's Run?" You ask.
"None of us stopped you, because you really did look like you had things handled" Emi says.

"Okay... what happened in the ritual chamber?" Ava asks, looking confused.

"They were about to sacrifice a bunch of people to open up a portal to an evil god, so I stopped them" You say.
"How?" Ava asks.
"Well I fought them" You say. "And I won"
"So there was like... 3 or 4?" Ava asks.
"Maybe 15-25" You say. "I dunno, I wasn't counting"

Ava looks skeptical. "Really?" She asks.
"Really" You say.

"... Really?" Ava asks again.
"Really" You say again.

"... Really really?" She asks... again...

>Are we gonna do this all day?

>Emi was there

>Really really

>Other
>>
>>1636336
Emi was there

Really really
>>
>>1636336
>Emi was there
>Really really
>>
>writing
>>
"Emi was there" You say. "It really happened"

"Huh" Ava says.

"And I'm baaaaaack~" Stella exclaims as she bursts through the door.
"Heyo" You say. "Did you get the mug?"

Stella holds up the bird cup triumphantly. "I did" She says. "Sorry I took so long. My neighbours hadn't seen me in a while, so they wanted to chat"
"That's fine. It's not like we're gonna die without tea" You say.

Stella smiles. "Well, it's a bit late now. I was planning on making it while we waited for Emi" She says. "It's good to see you again"
"You as well" Emi says. "I wouldn't mind some tea as well, if you're still making it"

"Alrighty, 4 steamin' mugs of tea comin' right up!" Stella says. "Err... I think it's 4. Is anyone else coming?"
"Just me. Derrick and Madelaine have busied themselves preparing for our departure" Emi says.

"Shouldn't you be helping them with that?" Stella asks, as she pulls out the necessary tools.
Emi lets out a nervous laugh. "I was uhh... needed here" She says.

Stella turns with a sly smile. "Slackin' off?" She asks.
"I wouldn't quite put it that way..." Emi says. "My skills were just... not very well suited to the task at hand"
"Lots of hauling to be done?" Stella asks.

"Yes" Emi says.
"I gotcha" Stella replies. "It was the same when the hunters pulled out of here. I left all that stuff to other people too"

Emi and Stella continue their conversation, and it almost surprises you how well they get along... you figure you'll leave them to it.

>Ask Ava how her nose feels now

>Ask where Coral is

>Other
>>
>>1636440
>Ask Ava how her nose feels now
>>
>>1636440
Ask where Coral is
>>
>writing
>>
"How's the nose?" You ask Ava, as Emi gets up to help Stella make tea.

Ava takes a deep breath in through her newly fixed nose. "Smelly" She says.
"That's one way to put it" You say. "Learned your lesson about checking windows with your face?"
"Yes" She says.

"Good" You say. "Now where'd my sprite get off to?"

Ava gives you a weird look.

"What?" You ask.

Ava's eyes go up to the top of your head.

"She's on my head, isn't she?" You ask.
"Has been for a while now" Ava says. "I thought you knew"

"I did not" You say, holding a hand up so Coral will get off your head. "How's the weather up there, Coral?"

Coral sets down on your hand and smiles.

"That good, huh?" You ask.

Coral nods, so you smile and stroke her head. She must have flown in and settled down on your head while you weren't looking.

While you're busy with Coral, another sprite zips into the room and flies over to Stella with a note.

"What's that?" You ask.
"Ah... probably from the hunters" Stella says, as she opens it up. "Dang, looks like we don't have time for tea after all"
"Aww..." You say.
"Perhaps next time" Emi says.
"Yeah" Stella says. "But, right now I've gotta head back to the guild"
"And I suppose I should go back to the barracks..." Emis says.

>Give Stella a lift

>Head with Emi

>Can I still make tea for myself?

>Other
>>
>>1636501
>>Give Stella a lift
>>
>>1636501
>Head with Emi
>>
>>1636501
>>Give Stella a lift
>>
>>1636501
>Head with Emi
>>
>>1636501
>>Give Stella a lift
>>
>writing
>>
"Why don't I give you a lift back to the guild, then I can meet Emi and the others at the barracks" You say. "Sound good?"

"Works for me" Emi says.
"What about me?" Ava asks.
"You go with Emi" You say. "I'll meet you in a bit"
"Kay" Ava says.

Emi and Ava head out, and you help Stella gather up all the stuff she wants to take with her.

"That's all" You ask, looking down at the bag, and the giant pillow next to it.
"Is it too much?" She asks.
"No, it should be fine. We can hang the bag off the side, and if you sit like you did last time, you can hold the pillow with your free hand" You say.

"Alright" Stella says. "You ready to go?"
"Yeah, let's head out" You reply.

The two of you lock Stella's house up, get yourselves set up on the Rook, and start making your way to the guild hall. Along the way, you-

>Ask Stella what she plans on doing when she gets back

>Ask if she's mad at all about what happened with Ava

>Other
>>
>>1636604
>>Ask Stella what she plans on doing when she gets back
>>
>>1636604

All those 1 vote ids in the last vote
>>
>>1636604
>Too bad Ava slammed into window before we could talk.
>>
>>1636610
Lurkers
>>
>writing
>>
"So, any plans for when you get back?" You ask.
"Well I was going to make attempt number 17 to get Vivian to like me, but since you've gotten the OK on my garden, I guess I'll start on that" She says.

"Attempt number 17?" You ask. "How did attempts 1 through 16 go?"
"Mixed reactions" Stella says. "And by mixed, I mean she either bit, scratched, or hissed... I don't think she likes me very much..."

"How are you going about this?" You ask.
"Well at first I tried picking her up and hugging her... but she didn't like that..." She says.
"Well there's your problem" You say. "She's a kitten, not a bunny. You can't just pick her up and smoosh her like you do with Munchkin"

"Any suggestions then?" She asks.
"Try just letting her be" You say. "Give her a scratch behind the ear if she gets near enough, but otherwise let her go about her business"

"And then she'll like me?" Stella asks. "That seems like an odd way of going about it"
"She's a cat. Cats are weird" You say. "But don't tell Ilica I said that"

Stella gives your chest a squeeze. "Your secret is safe with me" She says. "How do you know so much about cats, anyway?"

>They seem pretty simple

>I'm weird too

>Other
>>
>>1636649
>They seem pretty simple
They like to be in control. Make them think they are, and they like you.
>>
>>1636649
>They seem pretty simple
>Other
"It also kind of feels like I have prior experience."
>>
>>1636649
>I'm weird too
>>
>writing
>>
"They seem pretty simple to me" You say. "Unless they're ignoring you, you're either scratching, or getting scratched. There really isn't much of an in-between"

"That... makes sense" She says. "I'll give it a try"
"Do it. Vivi is adorable when she's not mad... I mean she's still pretty cute when she is mad, but she's much less bitey when she isn't" You say.
"That she is" Stella says. "So I'm going back to Locke, sounds like you'll be going on to Contique"

"Yeah, we'll be setting up around the city and laying siege to it" You say. "Not entirely sure what that entails, but from the way everyone talks, it sounds like it'll be hard"

"They say the set up is the hardest part. Once that's done and all your defenses are up, it just takes a while" Stella says. "Unless the people you're sieging get reinforcements... but that's another issue altogether"

"You seem to know a lot more about this than I do" You say. "Maybe I should go back to Locke, and you can go to the siege in my place"
"I'd love to, but where would I plant my garden out there?" She asks.

"Yeah, best to do that in Locke" You say, as you pull up in front of the guild. "Wouldn't want anyone stepping all over your plants"
"Exactly" Stella says, as she hops off.

>Say goodbye and get moving

>Stop in to see Lance

>Other
>>
>>1636716
>Stop in to see Lance
>>
>>1636716
>Stop in to see Lance
Heads up buddy, Fran may be a bit of a mood when you next see her
>>
>>1636716
>>Stop in to see Lance
>>
>writing
>>
"You gonna say goodbye" Stella asks.
"Not just yet. You said Lance was here, right?" You ask.
"Yeah, you wanna see him?" Stella asks.

You nod, draining the soul from the Rook's engine as you step off. "Shouldn't take too long" You say.
"Okay, they said they'd be waiting for me in the front" Stella says. "Come on!"

You help Stella carry her things as you head up to the doors, and when you get inside you see Lance, Archer and Layla standing over by Stella's old desk.

"Well look at what the cat dragged in" Lance says when he spots you.

You tilt your head, and look over at Stella. "But Stella's-"
"Don't worry about it, kid. Lance is just being a dick" Layla says. "It's good to see you're still in one piece"
"It's good to be in one piece" You reply.

"Ain't it always" Lance says. "Ready to go, young miss?"
"I told you to stop calling me that" Stella says with a pouty face.
"Ah fine" Lance says. "What brings you around, kiddo?"

>Tell Lance about Cheska

>Ask Layla if she knows about Namaki

>Ask how the devils are doing

>Other
>>
>>1636780
>>Ask how the devils are doing
Then we lead into
>Tell Lance about Cheska
>>
>>1636780

>Ask how the devils are doing
>So about Fran's sister Cheska.....
>>
>>1636780
>Ask Layla if she knows about Namaki
>>
>writing
>>
"How have the little ones been getting along without me?" You ask.
"Oh, they do what they usually do when they have nobody to bug" Lance says.
"And what's that?" You ask.

"Cause trouble" Lance says.
"They haven't been that bad" Archer says.
"Alright, they've been sort of behaving, I'll give 'em that" Lance says. "But I just know that they're planning something"

"You make them sound like evil masterminds" You say.
"And you underestimate them" Lance replies, as he looks around.

"Something wrong?" Layla asks.
"I thought you and Cheska were chained at the wrist, is she waiting outside?" He asks.
"Ah... no..." You say.

You take a minute to explain what happened with Cheska. Lance looks pensive after you're through.

"Does uhh... does Fran know yet?" He asks.
"I sent a letter off" You say. "It might not have arrived yet"

He nods. "Well, if it was her decision, I can't say much against it" Lance says. "Even if it was a stupid decision..."
"Well, she did base it off a pretty grave fortune" You say.
"Yeah, yeah. Some fortune teller told her she'd die in Leon..." Lance asks. "Those guys are all hacks, you know that, right?"

"Namaki wasn't a hack" You say. "She knew a lot that she couldn't have known... and she wasn't exactly average"

"Not average?" Lance asks. "How so?"
"Well, she was a 350 year old, nine-tailed Kitsune" You say.
"The fuck?" Layla asks. "The nine-tails is just a myth"
"I disagree" You reply. "She definitely had nine tails. She even let me brush them"

The hunters all look to one another. "Just what were you doing brushing the tails of a 350 year old Kitsune?" Lance asks.
"Well she said I could" You say. "They were very soft"

Lance sighs. "That just raises further questions" He says. "Start from the beginning... where did you meet this lady?"
"It was when we arrived in Otuna..."
>>
Calling it a little early tonight.

Next thread will be tomorrow evening.

As always I'll be sticking around for question/suggestion time.
>>
>>1636904
Thanks for Running Smiley
Hope your secondary move to my end of country fairs well
At the rate Yuu is getting sidetracked he may never get aa chance to take that bath before heading out of town
>>
Namaki best fluffy tail. Need to hit her up again.
>>
By the time you finish your tale, everyone is sitting down.

"That's... interesting" Archer says.
"It is. But it doesn't explain why you wound up brushing her tails" Lance says.
"They were soft, and she asked if I wanted to" You say.

Lance levers himself off of his chair and pats you on the shoulder. "You're an interesting guy, Yuu" Lance says.

"You don't believe me" You say.
"It's a little far fetched..." Layla says. "I mean... the nine-tails is just a myth"
"No she isn't, and I think she'd be insulted to hear you say that" You say. "Or maybe not... she didn't seem like the easily offend-able type... either way, Derrick, Emi, Madelaine and Cheska were all with me. Cheska even saw the sort of illusions she could make"

"Cheska saw them, but you didn't?" Lance asks.
"I can't" You say. "Something about my eyes. Which sucked, because she was gonna show me what snow looks like..."

"Don't you worry about that. Winter'll be here soon and you'll get more snow than you'll ever want to see in your entire life" Archer says. "Problem is that once you've seen enough snow, it sticks around for a few months, and then comes back the next year"
"It can't be that bad" You say.
"Just wait" Archer replies.

"I feel like we've gotten side-tracked..." Layla says.
"Right, let's go back to-

>Namaki

>Cheska

>Fran

>Other
>>
>>1638937

>Cheska
Afternoon Smiley
>>
>>1638937
>Cheska
>>
>>1638937
>Cheska
>>
>>1638937

>Namaki
>Fran
>>
>writing
>>
-Cheska" You say. "Namaki was pretty clear that things wouldn't end well if she went to Leon, so I let her go"
"Any idea where she went?" Lance asks.

"North... probably" You say. "She'll be back"
"You sure about that?" Lance asks.
"No. But I've got a hunch" You say. "Either she'll come back here, or we'll end up up there"

Lance crosses his arms and sits back. "Well thanks for the heads up, anyway" He says. "I'll have to grab some chocolates on the way back to Locke..."

"Really? Chocolates?" Layla asks.
"What's wrong with chocolates?" Lance asks. "It's not like I'm gonna toss 'em into the room and hope they make everything better. Fran likes chocolate, and it does a wonderful job of smoothing things over"

>Do all girls like chocolate?

>How does chocolate help?

>Change the subject (specify)

>Other
>>
>>1639006
>>Do all girls like chocolate?

>>How does chocolate help?
>>
>>1639006

>>
>>1639006
>>
>>1639006
>>
>writing
>>
"How does chocolate help?" You ask.
"You see, Fran likes chocolate. So when she eats chocolate, she is happy-... or in this case less sad" Lance says. "It makes it easier to bridge the gap between being sad or mad, and happy"

You nod. "That makes sense" You say. "So do all girls like chocolate? I think Ilica is the only one I've met that doesn't"

"Ilica doesn't like chocolate?" Stella asks.
"Yeah, she says it's too sweet for her" You say.
"Huh... that explains a lot..." Stella says.

"Explains what?" You ask.
"Nothing, don't worry about it" She says.

You tilt your head in confusion, and then shrug it off. "I'll keep that in mind" You say.

Lance checks the timekeeper on his wrist. "The other hunters should be done loading everything up by now, so we'd best get going" Lance says. "They increased patrols on the road, but I'd still rather be in Bell's Run before sunset"

>Anything else?
>>
>>1639077
>Give a big hug to the bunny
>>
>>1639077
>Hug the bun
>>
>>1639077
Time to go wash up and march off to a siege
>>
>writing
>>
"Alright, I'll see you guys when this is all over then" You say.
"Yep" Lance says, as he takes your hand and gives it a firm shake. "Go kick some ass for us, alright kiddo?"

"I guess I could... but wouldn't it be easier to use my sword?" You ask.

Lance squeezes his eyes shut. "That's not..."
"Just kidding" You say.

Lance sighs. "This guy..." He says, shaking his head as he turns and starts walking away.

Archer shakes your hand as well, and Layla gives you a quick hug before following after Lance, leaving you with Stella.

"So... I guess this is bye for now" Stella says.
"For now, yeah" You say. "I'm looking forward to seeing your garden when I get back"

Stella smiles. "Well now, I'll have to make sure there's something for you to look at then" She says, as she opens up her arms.

You step in and hug her, squeezing her for a long moment, before letting go.

She puts a hand on your cheek and smiles. "Go beat up some bad guys" She says.
"Can do" You reply.

>1/2
>>
You spend a little more time hugging Stella after that, until you think the others might be getting impatient and you have to leave.

"Now, remember what I said about Vivi" You say. "No smooshing"
"But she's just so little and smooshable" Stella says. "I just can't help myself"
You chuckle. "I promise that if you show restraint now, it'll pay off later" You say.
"Fiiiine... I'll try" Stella says.

"All set, miss?" Lance asks.
"I am" Stella replies.

Lance helps Stella up into the cart, and then nods to you.

"Tell the girls I said hi" You say.
"I will, but only if you tell the King the same from me" Lance says.
"I could probably manage that" You say.

"I was kidding" Lance says. "Last thing I need back home is trouble"

"So... I'm not telling the king you said hi?" You ask.
"No" Lance says.
"Okay" You reply. "Safe travels!"

You all wave to each other as the cart starts moving away, and you watch it go until it turns a corner and goes out of sight.

"So Coral, where to next?" You ask the sprite floating next to your head.

Coral shrugs.

"I guess the whole 'decision' thing is my job, isn't it..." You say. "Why don't we-

>Go wash up

>Find the others

>Other
>>
>>1639184
>Go wash up
>>
>>1639184
>>Go wash up

Bout time
>>
>>1639184
>Go wash up
>>
>>1639184
>Go wash up
>>
>writing
>>
"-go wash up?" You ask.

Coral gives you a thumbs up.

"Alright, let's go" You say.

You head over to the Rook and mount up, slotting your mageblade into it so you can power it. Then you're off.

Sherton is more familiar to you now than it was the first few times you were here... well, famiiliar enough that you don't get lost on the way to the inn. The two remaining towers near the centre of town make good points of reference, as you remember that the taller one was on the left side...

Or was it the right?

No, definitely left. You recognize the buildings around you as the ones on the way to the inn, so you must be close.

When you reach the inn, you ask the lady a the counter if you've still got the room, and when she says you do, you head up to finally clean off this mud...

>1/2
>>
Once you and Coral are both squeaky clean, you step out of the bathroom.

Well... you're clean. You're not actually sure if Coral gets dirty or needs to bathe... either way, she has fun playing around in the water, so you don't thinkshe cares about whether or not she needs to get clean.

Your bag is on the bed, left there by the others when they packed everything else into the cart. So you throw on a fresh set of clothes, grab your bag, and head out.

On the way back to the Rook, you let the innkeep know that you're done with the room. She thanks you with a polite bow.

Thinking back to the bar yesterday, you wonder how many people actually recognize you. Other than your eyes, you don't stand out all that much... but the eyes do stand out...

"Alright, let's see who we can find" You say. "Everyone's probably started to mobilize by now... so I'll probably need your help for this"

Coral salutes.

"That's the sprit" You say. "Can you lead me to-"

>Derrick

>Mom

>Ava

>Other
>>
>>1639308
>Derrick
>>
>>1639308
>derrick
>>
>writing
>>
>>1639308
Wait, hang on. Sprites are weirdly good at tracking people down.
Ask coral to point in the direction of Terry, just as an experiment.
>>
>>1639348
A sprite can't track someone until they've been introduced to them and had a chance to "get their scent" so to speak.

Coral can't track Terry or Cheska for this reason.
>>
>Yuu kissed cheska multiple times
>0 kisses for bunny
What did he mean by this?
>>
"-Derrick?" You ask.

Coral floats up a bit and looks around, before pointing off toward the east end of town with a big smile.

"Back at the camp, huh?" You say. "Alright. I'll take us there, and then you can lead the rest of the way"

Coral nods and flies into your shirt, situating herself so her head and hands are poking out over your collar... weird, she usually goes on your head, or down on the Rook. Maybe she figures this is a better spot?

You lean forward and grab the Rook's handles, turning the throttle and starting on your way down the street...

The inn is pretty close to the east side of the city, so it doesn't take long to reach the camp. Once you're there, you let Coral point the way to Derrick.

The camp itself is almost completely gone at this point, with only a handful of carts remaining. Carts that are probably loaded with the stuff the camp used to contain...

A little further east, you can see the troops assembling for the march to Contique. The Comomder is standing on top of a cart, addressing them as a whole.

Coral points you towards a cart that you recognize, and you can see Derrick sitting on top of it with Madelaine, while Meyu's crew stands below.

Madelaine spots you first as you approach...

>What's going on?

>Am I late?

>Emi's not here?

>Other
>>
>>1639366
Wait, all that time spent with Cheska and Coral, but they never "met"?
>>
>>1639397
>Emi's not here?
>>1639383
Bunbun can gtfo
>>1639398
Sprites don't like Normal demons
>>
>>1639397
>Emi's not here?
>>
>>1639397
>Emi's not here?
>>
>>1639398
Sprites don't like demons, Cheska mentioned that the first time she saw Coral. So even though they've been around each other for a long time, Coral has been pretty much ignoring or avoiding Cheska.

>>1639383
Cheska was the one who initiated most of those. I'd say you're at about the same "level" with both of them, the two of them just have different ways of showing it.
>>
>writing
>>
"Hey guys" You say, as you pull up and stop next to the cart.
"Hey Yuu" Derrick says. "All washed up?"
"Yeah. I told the innkeep we were done with the room, if that's okay" You reply.
"That's fine" Derrick says.

"Emi's not here?" You ask.
"She went back into town with Ava" Derrick says. "Your apprentice is apparently lacking several important things, so they went to pick them up"

"Things like...?" You ask.
"Girl stuff" Madelaine says. "You're better off just not knowing"
"O...kay..." You say.

A sudden roar from the crowd draws your attention back to where the Comomder is standing.

"Lady still knows how to give a speech" Meyu says. "Have you ever seen a group so excited about spending 3 days on the march?"
"I don't believe I have" Zaine says.

"Is that what she was doing?" You ask.
"Yep" Meyu says. "This march is lookin' to be a bit of a slog. Gotta keep morale up, lest we get to Contique with an army of men who just want to go home"
"So none of these guys want to go home?" You ask.

"Of course they do" Meyu says. "The problems happen when they want to go home more than they want to win the war or follow orders"
"I think I get it" You say. "So when are we leaving?"

"As soon as Emi gets back" Derrick says. "Should be any minute now. Then we can join the other carts, and be on our way"

>Anything to do while you wait?
>>
>>1639476
Let's get this show on the road
>>
>>1639476
>>1639489
I'll go with this.
>>
>>1639476
Do donuts on the Rook while you wait
>>
>>1639489
This
>>
>writing
>>
You settle back onto the Rook, and watch the soldiers start to move out with the others.

For such a large group of people, they're very wel organized. They march to the road in a 10 by 10 group, then the group splits in half and continues up the road as a 5 by 20. Then several carts move in behind them, and another hundred soldiers behind that...

It's actually kind of neat just watching it, and wondering how much practice and discipline went into things like this.

By the time Emi arrives, about two thirds of the army has moved out.

"There she is" Madelaine says. "Got everything you need?"
"Yes, thank you for waiting" Emi says.

"Ava, don't you have something to say?" Emi asks.
"Th-thanks" Ava says.

Emi smiles. "Are we all set?" She asks.
"Just waiting on you" Derrick says. "Hop in and we'll get going"

Now that everyone is present, they all pile into the carts. Once you're moving, you let Meyu take the lead since he is the one who's most likely to know what he's doing.

You wait for a moment while another infantry column gets on the road, and then go on after them. After a minute or so of following the carts, you pull up next to Derrick.

"How long was this trip again?" You ask.
"3 days" Derrick says.

Your expression drops, and you look around. Moving this slowly is making you impatient...

"Just take it easy" Derrick says. "This'll all be over in no time, and we can start knocking on Contique's doors with heavy siege"

You frown and try to look over the heads of the infantry in front of you.

This is going to be a long trip...
>>
That's all for tonight!

Next thread will likely be tomorrow night, as I'm trying to get as many in as I can before I have to move again.

As always I'll be sticking around for question/suggestion time!
>>
>>1639557
Thanks for the thread and good luck with your moving!
>>
>>1639557
A bit late in saying this, but thanks for running!
>>
The trip to Contique was long, and... long. After the conversation dried up with Derrick, you went up a bit further to Meyu. After you ran out there, it was time to camp for the night.

You spent the next day at the head of the column with the Comomder and Marybell, where things were a little more interesting.

Reports were coming in of the army's outriders getting intominor skirmishes (that the Comomder wouldn't let you ride ahead to take part in), and things were generally sort of tense, and only got more tense as you got closer to Contique.

On the third day, you felt kinda bad for riding around on the Rook while everyone else was walking, so with Rhea's help you stowed it in one of the supply carts and marched the rest of the way with Paula, Georg, and Flit.

The marching wasn't so bad, but that might just be the whole 'demon stamina' thing. Georg and Paula were both happy for the added company, though Flit still won't let you touch her hair...

The arrival in Contique also went smoothly, thanks in part to your idea with the fog. By the time the defenders could see where your force was, they were already in place and ready to lay siege.

And that was a week ago...

You've been sitting here plinking away at Contique's walls and gates ever since. But every bit of damage you do, they repair.

The Comomder doesn't want to use any of the big, one-use weapons, since it'll mean they won't be available for the battle at Leon... but at this rate, you're starting to think that you might never get to see Leon.

As for right now, you've pretty much just woken up and eaten breakfast... a little later than most, but nobody really holds it against you. Last night you were a part of a push to take down the main gate that succeeded only in making you stay up way too late.

"Good morning" Derrick says.
"G'morn'n..." You mumble back. "Anything new?"
"No... unfortunately" He says. "Sleep well?"

"I slept" You reply.
Derrick chuckles. "Well, best wake up. Sounds like we're planning an early strike on the north gate" He says.

"Using the big guns this time?" You ask.
"I don't think so" He says.
"Then I'll pass... chances are it'll end the same way our last 5 attempts did" You say.

"You sound like you're starting to lose hope" Derrick says.
"I'm not... I'm just frustrated" You say.

"Why don't you try talking to the Commander about it then?" Derrick asks. "She might be set in her ways, but if she'd listen to anyone it'd be you"

You nod, and silently add that to your list of things to do.

"Oh, and Meyu says the mail spider's got a few letters for you" Derrick says.
"Probably from Locke... I'll pick those up later" You say.

"Nope. He said that neither of them were from Locke" Derrick says.
"So where are they from?" You ask.
"Dunno, you'll have to check them out" He says.

>Go talk to the Commander

>Go see what these letters are about

>Go find someone else (specify)

>Other
>>
>>1641433
>Go see what these letters are about
>>
>>1641433
>>Go see what these letters are about
>>
>>1641433
>>
>>1641433
>>
>>1641433
>>
>>1641433
Smiley is kill?
>>
>>1641986
Check twitter famalam
>>
You grunt and stretch yourself out. "Might as well see if anything interesting is in them" You say, as you start walking off. Derrick gets up and walks along with you. "Where are you headed?" You ask him.

"Off to help one of our mechanics with one of the LRBs" Derricks says. "They've had all 8 of them lobbing chunks of rock at the city all week, so they're starting to wear"

"Okay. If I don't find anything interesting, I'll come see if I can lend a hand there" You say.
"Here's hoping you do find something" Derrick says. "We could use something more interesting. Things keep being boring like this, we won't be getting anywhere"

You smile. "Interesting doesn't always mean good" You say.
Derrick shrugs as he heads away from you, leaving you to make the rest of the way to the mail-spider on your own.

You're pretty sure you know her name, but for the life of you you can't remember it...

Ah well. She hasn't complained about you calling her the mail-spider yet. If she does say something, then you'll have to ask what her name actually is.

Mail-spider cheerfully hands you your letters when you arrive. It actually seems like she's been waiting for you...

You take a quick look at the envelopes in your hand.

One is made from cheap, thin paper, and the only marking you can see on it is a Y with a squiggly stem... which is strange, because the letter Y doesn't exist in the Lubrian alphabet.

The other is much thicker, though it feels like it contains less. It's also sealed in wax with a symbol featuring 3 vertical lines crossed by 1 diagonal.

"You recognize this?" You ask, holding the sealed letter out to the mail-spider. "I don't pay all that much attention to seals and the like" Mail-spider says. "But it does look familiar... try taking it to someone in charge. The Commander or her knights should know what it is"

"They won't be busy?" You ask.

Mail-spider shrugs. "You could always crack it open and see what's inside"

You turn your attention back to the letters, and-

>Go find someone who recognizes the seal

>Crack it open

>Start with the cheaper one

>Other
>>
>>1642910

>>
>>1642910
>>Start with the cheaper one
>>
>>1642910
>>
>>1642910
>Go find someone who recognizes the seal
>>
>>1642910
>>
>>1642910
>>Crack it open
>>
>>1642910
>>
You look over the cheaper looking letter again. Other than your name and the squiggly Y, there are no markings on it to denote who it's from.

Judging by the weight, it's definitely just a letter. So you sit down, peel it open, and pull the letter out. It's small enough that it doesn't need a fold to fit in the evelope, but there's still a good amount written on it...

>Hey there Mr Cutie, miss me yet?

Ohhhhhhh! It's from Cheska! The squiggly Y was supposed to look like her tail.

With that mystery solved, you keep reading...

>Don't anser that. I no you do.

>Figured you mite be a little bit worreed so I sent this of. I didnt no were youd be so I hope this reeches you at some point.

>I made it to the north. Got a gig with some mercs to pay the bills. They dont mind me beeng a demon as long as I dont try anything against them. So well see how that gos.

>Never got the chance to finish that letter to Fran. Coud you tell her Im sory for leeving and that Im OK?

>Ill come bak some day. Until then dont do anything I wood do.

Underneath that, there's a big, red kiss mark with an arrow pointing to it linking it to some more text.

>Lots of work went into this so youd beter apreshiate it. Make up is hard to find up here and harder to aply without a miror.

You can't help but smile as you set the letter down. Her writing could use work... like a lot of work. But it's the thought that counts.

When you turn the letter over, you see that the back is absolutely covered in kiss marks like the one on the front, with another note written in the center of the page...

>Was hoping you woodnt look back here.
>Ignor these.
>All tests.

You chuckle and take a closer look. Each little red smooch has a different shape to it, like she was putting on lipstick, kissing the page, and then washing it off and re-applying it if it didn't look right.

"Someone's got a fan?" Mail-spider asks.

You flinch at the sound, having completely forgotten that you weren't alone.

"Uhh... something like that" You say, as you slide the letter back into its envelope. It's good to hear that Cheska is doing well... but if you're going to be corresponding with her, she needs to learn how to spell.

But then she didn't leave you anything you can use to contact her, just vague events. So you get the feeling she isn't expecting a reply.

>Read the other letter

>Go find your mom

>Other
>>
>>1643928
>>Go find your mom
See if she knows the seal.
>>
>>1643928
>Read the other letter
I miss Cheska
Afternoon Smiley
>>
>>1643928
>>Read the other letter
time to solve this mystery. Think we could use steam to open it while keeping the seal intact?
>>
>>1643928
>Go find your mom
>>
>>1643928
>Go find your mom
>>
>writing
>>
I can never stick around since it's always past midnight whenever you host, but I'd like you to know I've been enjoying your quests for the last 2 years. You're the only QM out of the 4 I used to follow who is still active. Keep up the good work.
>>
>>1644006
Seconding this. Keep up the fantastic work Smiley.
>>
Figuring that it's best to get some context before opening this thing, you decide to thank the mail-spider and head out.

It's good to hear that Cheska is doing well... and that she's still alive. The smooch mark on the page was overdoing it a little bit, though. Part of you wonders just how long it took for her to get it right... or how many pages...

When you reach Altea's tent, it's fairly busy. A lot of people going in and out, as a few of the other commanding officers are stationed in here as well. Luckily when you step inside nobody has the Comomder's attention, so you step up...

"Good morning" You say.

Altea looks upfrom what she's reading, giving a tired smile when she sees you. "Good morning" She replies. "What brings you here?"

"I get a letter" You say, holding out the envelope to her. "It's sealed, but I don't recognize the emblem"

Altea takes the envelope and looks it over. "Hmm... not broken, so I guess it's pointless to ask you what's inside" She says.
"Do you know it?" You ask.
"Can't say I do, but... ah, just in time" Altea says, looking past you to the door.

You turn around to see Pip approaching.

"Need me for something, Commander?" Pip asks.

Altea hands her the letter. "Recognize that seal?" She asks.
Pip takes a quick look at it. "I have seen it..." She says. "By the 3 lines I know it's from the order, but I can never remember the branches..."

"Why would the order want to contact me?" You ask.
"It's not addressed to you, technically" Altea says. "It just says: To the Pure Demon"

"Ah!" Pip says. "No... that one is top left to bottom right... which means... this is from the Servants of Eternal"

>Just open the letter

>The who?

>How many branches does the order have?

>Other
>>
>>1644030
>The who?
>Do the members of this order wear collectable hats too?
>>
>>1644030
>>The who?
>>
>>1644030
>>Just open the letter

>>The who?
>>
>writing
>>
"Do they wear funny hats too?" You ask.
"Not really. If they did, then they're still not the kinds of guys you wanna go around punching" Pip says. "They're like the order's covert branch, in charge of dealing with actual heresy, iconoclasty, corruption within the ranks, and so on"

"Icono-what now?" You ask.
"Iconoclasty. Destruction of religious symbols" Altea says. "They handle those who vandalise and destroy churches"

"Are they mad that I killed the Grand Inquisitor?" You ask.
"They wouldn't send a letter if they were mad" Pip says, as she hands the envelope back to you. "Open it up, let's see what they've got to say"

You nod and crack the wax seal, dumping the contents out onto Altea's desk. Inside is a small note, written in a strange looking ink...

"It's... blank?" Pip asks.
"No" You say. "There's writing, right there"

"Really?" Altea asks. "For a moment I was worried... sending someone a blank letter is the message equivalent of telling someone you're going to kill them..."
"It is?" You ask.
"Has been for a long time" Pip says. "As the saying goes 'Words are wasted on the ears of dead men'"
"Never heard that saying before" You say.

"It's not one people say very often" Pip says. "So if it's not blank, what does it actually say?"

"To the pure demon, to whom the path to truth is plain as day. A debt to you will be repayed this day. We will open for you the skies of Leon, when the sun reaches its apex" You say. "And that's it... what does it mean?"

"Sun's Apex is midday" Altea says. "Do they plan on bringing down Leon's sky barrier?"
"Sounds like it..." Pip says.

>That's good... right?

>Are they telling the truth?

>What do we do?

>Other
>>
>>1644105
>>That's good... right?

>>What do we do?
>>
>>1644105
>What do we do?
>>
>writing
>>
>>1644105
>>That's good... right?
>>
"That's good... right?" You ask.

Altea sits in silence for a moment. "It could be... if we can take advantage of it" She says. "And if they're being truthful"

"If they wanted to tell blatant lies, they would have a letter with plain ink" Pip says. "Unless they knew that Yuu could see this"

"What do we do?" You ask.
"Get an airship in the air" Altea says. "If it gives Contique a wide berth, you should be able to make Leon by midday..."

"What if it's a trap?" Pip asks.
"They needn't set traps like this. We're stuck here for now, and that's not likely to change" Altea says. "Our borrowed time is running short... and this could be just what we need"

"I get it" You say. "We can ignore Contique if we can take the capital"
"Precisely" Altea says. "But, the letter was for you. And the barrier is going down for you. So you would be leading this operation... if you so choose"

>Maybe we shouldn't...

>Let's do it

>Other
>>
>>1644156
>>Let's do it
>>
>>1644156
>Other
>Can we really take the capital with just airships? What would be the objective of the operation and the resources we can put together in time?
>>
>>1644156
>Let's do it
>>
>writing
>>
>>1644156
>>Let's do it
>>
"Can we really retake the capital with just airships?" You ask.

"The Loyalist army is here. The only forces in Leon will be the Automata, and a skeleton regiment- which is not an army of skeletons" Altea says.

"Thank you fr clearing that up. I was worried there for a second..." You say.
"I saw the look on your face" She says. "The small human force there won't put up much of a fight... they're more of an honour guard, where nobles send their sons and daughters to serve thinking they won't see actual combat"

"And the automata?" You ask.
"All powered by the central generator" Altea says.
"Which is guarded by the 2 big guys" Pip says.
"So you bring Lances" Altea says. "A good shot through the devices that power them, and they go down just like any other Automaton"

"It almost sounds like we have a plan" You say.
"That's good. Do we have a leader willing to execute that plan?" Altea asks.
"I'm in" You say.

"Excellent" Altea says. "Pip. Go check in at the back of the camp where our airships are docked. I need to know how many we have, and how many can leave within the next hour"
"Aye aye" Pip says, saluting as she turns and runs off.

"While she's doing that, you gather your people" Altea says. "I'll wait for all of you outside this tent. Don't tarry"

"... tarry?" You ask.
"Don't take too long" She says.
"Ah, got it" You reply.

You turn and head out as well. Your friends aren't likely to be in the same place, so first you'll go get-

>Madelaine

>Emi

>Derrick

>Other
>>
>>1644217
>>Derrick
>>
>>1644217
>>Derrick
hey smiley are you going on another hiatus soon? I remember you talking about something like a trip somewhere.
>>
>>1644217
>Derrick then Emi
>>
>>1644244
Basically I'm going out west for a wedding, going further west to visit family, and then staying there.

I leave on the 19th, and there'll be about 2 weeks where I won't be able to run a thread, and after that I'll probably be pretty busy. I'll still be running after those 2 weeks are up, though.

>writing
>>
"Alright Coral, point me to Derrick" You say.

"Coral?" You ask again.

You reach up and poke the top of your head, because you can feel the sprite there. Suddenly she jumps up and starts flying zig-zags around your head.

After a few seconds she stops in front of your face, still looking surprised.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I wake you?"

Coral looks around with wide eyes, still not quite awake.

"Well you can go back to sleep, I just need to know where Derrick is" You say.

Coral shakes her head, does a quick couple of twirls, and then smiles. She then turns and points off towards the camp.

"Thank you" You say, as you pull out a dried berry for her to eat for breakfast. "Did you sleep well?"

Coral takes a big bite of her berry and smiles.

"I'll take that as a yes" You say.

>1/2
>>
Coral leads you over to one of the long range battering-rams, where you see Derrick working with a small person you recognize...

"Derrick! Gretchen!" You call out.

"Hey... you" Gretchen says. "What's your name again?"
"Yuu" You say.
"Oh yeah" She says. "What's shakin'?"

"We've got some news in" You say. "Rather not talk about it here, but Altea wants to meet everyone in front of her tent"
"So there was something interesting in those letters" Derrick says.

"There was" You say.
"Cool. I'm done here, so I'll get the story from the Commander" He says. "Unless there's something you want me to do"

>Ask if he can find Madelaine

>Not that I can think of

>Other
>>
>>1644333
>Not that I can think of
>>
>>1644333
>Ask if he can find Madelaine
>>
>>1644333
>>Ask if he can find Madelaine
>>
>>1644333
>>Other, "Can you stand on one leg, rub your belly and pat your head all at the same time while singing 'I'm a little tea cup'?"
>>Ask if he can find Madelaine
>>
>writing
>>
>>1644252
you have any idea when you will be able to run more regularly after that?
>>
"Do you know where Madelaine might be?" You ask.
"I have a vague idea, yeah. Want me to go let her know about this?" Derrick asks.
"Yes, please" You say. "If you do that, I can go get Emi, and it'll all be done"
"Cool. Catch you later, Gretchen" Derrick says.

"Seeee ya" Gretchen says.

Derrick heads off, leaving you with the little green siege master...

"Do you two know each other?" You ask.
"Just met him today. Nice guy" She says. "You guys friends?"
"Yeah" You reply. "Oh, out of curiousity... where is the cart with all the lances parked?"
"Towards the center of the camp... why, you think you'll need em?"

"Possibly" You say. "If you're not busy, could you bring that cart to where the airships are?"

Gretchen looks confused. "I guess so" She says. "You guys goin' somewhere?"
"Yes" You reply. "I've gotta finish getting my team together, so I'll see you around"
"Later" She says.

>1/2
>>
You get Coral to lead you to to Emi, finding both her and Ava at the infirmary.

Emi has been helping out around here since you arrived. The attempts to break the gates and walls usually came away with minimal casualties, but minimal casualties are still casualties...

"You busy?" You ask, as you step into the medical tent.

"Not at the moment" Emi says. "Do you need something?"

"We're heading out" You say. "Come on, we're all gonna meet up by the Comomder's tent. We'll tell you the details there"
"Do I need my bag?" Emi asks.
"You shouldn't" You say. "There isn't much time, though. So let's get moving"
"Oh... okay" Emi says, as she slithers out of her chair. "Why the urgency?"

"Limited time frame" You say, looking around before leaning in and whispering. "I got a letter from some people in the capital... they've got a way in for us, but we have to be there by noon"

"Is it this letter in your pocket?" Ava asks.

>Roll 1d100
>>
Rolled 58 (1d100)

>>1644429
>>
Rolled 12 (1d100)

>>1644429
>>
Rolled 94 (1d100)

>>1644429
>>
Rolled 41 (1d100)

>>1644429
beat this
>>
>>1644483
Nice save
>>
>writing
>>
Rolled 51 (1d100)

>>1644429
>>
Ava snags the edge of the letter that's sticking a little ways out of your pocket, snatching it up and attempting to take off.

Fortunately, you're quick enough to snatch it back before she can get away.

"This one is personal" You say, suddenly very glad that you put it back in its envelope. You'd have some trouble explaining why Cheska is sending you letters covered in kisses...

"Aww man" Ava says. "Can I see it anyways?"
"No" You reply. "Now let's go"
"Fiiiiiiine" Ava says.

You start heading off to Altea's tent, with Emi and Ava in tow.

"If it's not asking too much... who is that letter from?" Emi asks.

>Cheska

>Not important

>Other
>>
>>1644553

>Cheska
>>
>>1644553
>Cheska
>>
>>1644553
>Cheska
>>
I caught myself wondering about how fate works in this quest. Is it like berserk, where causality has both incredibly strong nigh-unstoppable events and weak points where destiny can be altered?
>>
>>1644581
Nothing like that. Even Namaki, who can get glimpses of the possible future mentions that nothing is set in stone, especially when someone like Yuu, who can shrug off supposedly preordained events, exists.

Besides, I already did a whole quest revolving around challenging fate in ODW

>writing
>>
"It's from Cheska" You say. "She wrote to say that she's found work as a mercenary up north, and that she's doing okay"

"That's nice to hear" Emi says. "I'll be honest, I didn't think she could write..."
"You were half right" You say. "Her writing looks like it was penned by a 5 year old, and her spelling could use a lot of work. But it's the thought that counts, not the quality"

"I'm confused" Ava says. "Which one is your girlfriend, this girl from the letter, or the bunny from town?"
"Neither" You say. "Why?"

"No reason" Ava says.

When you reach Altea's tent, Derrick is already there with Madelaine and Meyu's crew, along with your skirmish team, Pip, Marybell, that Crow lady with the airship, and Altea herself.

"There he is" Madelaine says. "We were startin' to think we'd have to leave without you"
"I didn't take that long" You reply.

"Ah, everyone is here" Altea says. "Good, that means we can begin... A few minutes ago, Yuu here received word from someone in Leon that they would be bringing down the aerial defense barrier at midday today. To capitalize on this, we will be sending a small force using the airships available to us to land in the city, bring down the Automata, and breach the palace"

"That sounds crazy" Meyu says.

"Will that be a problem?" Altea asks.
"Not for me. A little crazy is good for you from time to time" Meyu says.

"Now, I have good news and I have bad news" Altea says. "Which do you want first?

>Good

>Bad

>Other
>>
>>1644623
>Bad
>>
>>1644623
>Bad
>>
>>1644623
>Bad
>>
>>1644623
>>Bad
>>
>writing
>>
"Bad first" You say.

"Alright... so with all of our airships running road patrols, there is only one left here for this operation" Altea says.
"Gettin' crazier..." Meyu says.
Madelaine nudges him with her elbow "Shush"

"That means minimal forces and equipment, which is why we'll be sending our best. The good news is that the only remaining airship belongs to the only captain in the fleet crazy enough to take on a mission like this" Altea says. "I assume you've all met Theresa?"

"We have" You say.

Theresa steps up. "I'll be the one taking you all in" She says. "In the event that my ship goes down, just know that none of this was my idea"
"That will be enough" Altea says. "Now, the ground forces will be redeploying the fog we used to get set up to cover our exit. Once we're out of range of Contique, we'll push the engines until we're in sight of Leon, and Yuu can confirm whether or not the shield is down"

"Hold on, Commander... we?" Marybell asks.
"Yes, we" Altea says.
Marybell looks confused. "Are you comng as well?"
"Of course" Altea says. "This is the end of the war that I started, and I'll be damned if I'm not there for it. Any objections?"

"... and crazier..." Meyu says.

"I shall take that as a no" Altea says. "Let us make haste to the airship. The sooner we're up, the sooner this war ends!"

"You all sound so enthusiastic" Altea says.

You give a half hearted, semi-awkward cheer.

"That'll do. Let's go" She says.
>>
That's all for tonight!

Next run will be tomorrow night.

As always, I'll be sticking around for question/suggestion time
>>
>>1644686
thanks for running
>>
>>1644686
Thanks for Running Smiley
>>
You manage to load quite a bit onto Crow's airship in the limited time you had. By the time you're ready for takeoff, it has your people, all of your equipment, the Rook, Betsy, Derrick's cart, and around 10 lances on board.

The Comomder timed your takeoff with the moment that the manufactured fog would be at its thickest, as well as a few pushes on the gate to keep the defenders blinded and distracted. A fast sprite could possibly outrun the ship and reach Leon before you, which would ruin the whole plan.

Your offer to have Coral go beat up any other sprites you see was rejected... not like it mattered, you doubt Coral would be in for the idea of fighting anything, never mind another sprite...

But if she did, she would probably kick its butt.

And speaking of Coral. She doesn't handle herself all that well on an airship. 3 times now she's tried to fly, only to get blown back by the strong winds. You've managed to catch her each time, thankfully... but she seems quite frustrated.

Coral's not the only one who looks bothered. Altea has been standing at the front of the ship since you departed, and you see her wings twitch every now and then.

The only other person up here is the captain, as the others all went below deck...

>Ask what's bugging Altea

>Talk to the captain

>Head down below

>Other
>>
>>1647282
>>Ask what's bugging Altea
>>
>>1647282
>>Ask what's bugging Altea
>>
>writing
>>
You stand up and make sure Coral is snug before heading over to Altea. The sprite's taken to chilling in your collar now. Maybe she's gotten annoyed that you no longer wear her old house...

You're pretty sure that's still in the cart...

"Nervous?" You ask once you're in earshot of the Comomder.

Altea turns, and gets a slight smile on her face. "Hardly" She says. "Just impatient"
"Want me to ask the Captain to go faster?" You ask.
"We're going as fast as this ship can safely go" Altea says. "Any more and we risk losing the power source and crashing long before we even see Leon"

You look out ahead of the ship. "But I can see it..." You say.
"Not from the ground" Altea says. "So yes, I am impatient. But I will not let the mission suffer for my own faults"

"Are we on track to be there by midday?" You ask.
"We are, but only just" She says. "How are you feeling?"

You shrug. "Same as usual" You say.

>And maybe a bit nervous...

>Should I be feeling different?

>Ask what Leon is like

>Other
>>
>>1647502
>>Should I be feeling different?

>>Ask what Leon is like
>>
>>1647502
>>Should I be feeling different?

>>Ask what Leon is like
>>
>writing
>>
You tilt your head. "Should I be feeling nervous?" You ask.
"A person usually would in in these circumstances" Altea says. "That you're not means that either you're confident, or it hasn't set in yet"

"I think it's the second one. I'm definitely not feeling very confident" You say.

Altea laughs. "At least you're honest" She says.

You settle in beside her, leaning forward on the front railing. In the distance you can make out the tallest of Leon's buildings, noticing that they have several buildings around the same height as Sherton's towers. "What is Leon like?" You ask.

"Asking about anything in particular?" She asks.
"Not really" You reply.

"Well... I suppose it's very pretty on the surface" She says. "With its grand structures and monuments, but underneath all that it's very similar to any other city. It has the same problems, the same sorts of people..."

"Do the other cities have automaton guards?" You ask.
"No, I suppose not" She says. "But they're just as fallible as a regular guard or soldier. They're well built, for certain. But everything has a weakness"

"I can see what you mean by pretty" You say. "It looks very nice from up here"
"Perhaps once the fighting is done, you can talk Derrick into giving you a tour" She says. "It's been a very long time since I've been here..."

>How long?

>Ask what she's going to do with the king

>Ask if she really thinks we can do this

>Other
>>
>>1647672
>>How long?

>>Ask what she's going to do with the king
>>
>>1647672
>>How long?

>>Ask what she's going to do with the king
>>
>writing
>>
"How long?" You ask.
"Long" She says. "I moved away when I was young, and I only ever came back when work demanded it... to be honest I can't remember the last time I was here"

"Take a guess" You say.
"Oh... probably before the Legion" She says. "Ever since we got word of them from the Antolians, I didn't really feel comfortable leaving my command..."

"This probably wasn't how you thought you'd be coming back" You say.
"Most certainly not" She says. "Even in my most dire of imaginings, I at least had an army at my back"

"You've got me" You say. "That's like having an army"

Altea sighs, lets her head droop, and begins to chuckle.

"What?" You ask
"If nothing else, you're good for keeping the mood light" She says. "And besides, if all goes well I won't be needing the army"

"And if it doesn't?" You ask.
"I'd rather not think about that" She says.

>1/2
>>
"So what do we do when it's all over?" You ask. "What happens to the kind and the other nobles?"

"Haven't thought that far ahead yet" She says. "The King must be punished, that much is certain... but I would rather not have Derrick's one remaining parent killed if I can help it, even if he's been a right bastard..."

"So if we're not killing him, do we throw him in a cell?" You ask.
"I never said that" She says. "I said that I don't want to. That doesn't mean it won't happen. There are plenty of people out there who will want vengeance for all the blood spilled on his watch..."

"Would they be happy if he apologized?" You ask.
"I doubt it" She says.
"Dang..." You say. "What if he did it really nicely?"
"Still no" She says. "And keep in mind that Derrick will get a say in this"

"You think Derrick will want him dead?" You ask.
"I know him well enough to say no, but people can surprise you sometimes..." Altea says. "Looks like we're getting close. You'd best make your way below"

>What if I want to stay up here?

>Okay

>Other
>>
>>1647884
>>Okay
Time to be the big damn hero.
>>
>>1647884
>>Okay
>>
>writing

>kind and the other nobles

That's supposed to say King, not kind.
>>
Rolled 33 (1d100)

"Alright" You say. "Are you coming too?"

"I'll be with you shortly" She says. "I'd like to speak with the captain"

"See you in a bit... then..." You say. "What time is it?"
"You're the one with the watch" She says.

That is correct. You look down at your watch, and see that it's 12 on the dot...

"Something wrong?" Altea asks. "Don't tell me..."
"It doesn't look like the barrier is down" You say. "Could they be late?"

"From what Pip was saying, the Servants of Eternal aren't the late types..." She says. "Are you sure?"

You step back up to the railing and strain your eyes. "I see a hole" You say.
"A hole" Altea repeats. "Big enough for an airship?"

"Uhh... maybe?" You say.
"Where?" Altea asks.

"At the top" You say.
"The top of the barrier?" Altea asks.
"Yes" You reply.

Altea looks out at the city. "Looks like you're staying up here after all" She says.
"I am?" You ask.

"If I can't see whatever hole you're talking about, then neither can Theresa" Altea says. "Which means you've gotta guide us in"
"I have to what?" You ask.

"Navigate" Altea says. "Guide the captain through getting this ship into that hole"
"I-I can maybe-"

"You can do it" She says, as she walks off toward the captain.

You blink a few times, and follow after her. It can't be that hard... right?

>Roll 1d100 with focus
>>
Rolled 2 (1d100)

>>1648033
>>
Rolled 37 (1d100)

>>1648033
>>
Guess I'm not getting a 3rd roll tonight. But you guys hit focus, so-

>writing
>>
"There a problem, Commander?" Theresa asks as the two of you approach the helm of the ship.

"Bit of a snag. Seems our friends on the inside aren't bringing the whole barrier down" Altea says.
"We turnin' back?" Theresa asks.

"No. Yuu can see the hole. He can guide you in" She says.
"Can he now?" Theresa asks. "Well we're in your care then, my boy. Where am I going?"

"Get higher" You say. "The hole is at the top, by that tall spire there"

"That makes sense" Altea says.
"How so?" Theresa asks.
"That is the spire topping the Order's largest church" Altea says. "It's likely that they couldn't bring the whole barrier down, so they mounted a disruptor"

"So bring us in around it" Theresa says. "Easy enou-"

You hear a strange sound, like distant 'bangs'.

"Well we've been spotted" Theresa says. "Hang onto something!"

"What? Why-"

Something hits the ship, causing it to lurch to one side, nearly knocking you off balance.

"That's a hit" Theresa says.

The ship takes another hit, and you feel it start to slow down.

"Can't we do something?" Altea asks
"I can either gun it, or evade" Theresa says. "I evade, I lose track of that spire. I gun it, and we might not make it"

Another hit rocks the ship, and it starts to lose height...

"Oh no you don't!" Theresa says, as she pulls up on the steering wheel.
"Wait!" You say, as you shove the Captain aside and put your hands on the wheel. You've never piloted an airship before, so you have no idea what you're doing... but somehow, you do know...

Gripping the wheel firmly, you spin it hard to the right and tilt it downward. The ship's momentum carries it over the hole in the barrier, with the engines stopping it just in time for its descent.

You feel your blood rushing through your veins as the ship plummets toward the city. If you had a heart, you'd guess that it would be pounding right now. It takes a second for it to register that you didn't end up slamming into the barrier, and it takes another second to realize that 'straight towards the ground' is not the direction you want to be going.

"We're in!" You shout, as the ship finally levels out. You choose to ignore the obvious scraping you hear from the bottom of the hull as you pull up a little ways...

"You never mentioned that you could pilot an airship" Theresa says.
"I can't" You say. "In fact... you might wanna-"

You step away from the controls, letting the actual pilot back into her position.

"We're under their defenses now, but that doesn't mean we're home free" Theresa says. "You two should get ready to depart. I'm gonna find a spot that's open enough for a drop, get low enough for the carts to ride off, and then take to the air and stay mobile"

"We'll signal you once the generator is down" Altea says.
"We might not be in the air by then" Theresa says. "Those shots didn't hit nothing. I'm losing power in the left engine... but that's my problem. Get going"

"See you on the other end" Altea says.
>>
Calling it a little early tonight, as I'm slightly sleep deprived.

Next thread will be on Monday, as my next few weekends are going to be busy.

As always I'll be sticking around for question/suggestion time
>>
>>1648365
Thanks for the thread Smiley, hope you have a comfy sleep!
Thread posts: 210
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.