[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/qtg/ - Quest Thread General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 438
Thread images: 51

File: qtg.jpg (70KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
qtg.jpg
70KB, 800x800px
This is a thread created for the "discussion" of Quest threads.

Please do not shitpost, and please report any shit posters attempting to derail discussion or cause strife.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/u5xPbk6w (embed) (embed)
This link contains numerous writing guides, general advice, and various quest tools and communities. You will also never read it.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory/
https://twitter.com/tgquestlist/lists/quest-master-directory
These are two directories containing the tweets of many current QM's. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. To get added to the second list, tweet @tgQuestList. Spamming tweets unrelated to your quest may result in its removal.

IRC Channels:
[The Cabal] #QMC @ Rizon.net (slightly related to quests; enjoys worldbuilding, mechanics, and politics.)
[Hugbox] #ques/tg/enerals @ Rizon.net (barely related to quests; enjoys Larro quests and anime)

Discord server (Can provide feedback to new QM's, but shitposting is a bannable (but encouraged) offense) https://discord.gg/pXfcXZJ

http://qst.wikia.com
This abomination of a wiki gives brief summations of quests and QMs as well as quest culture in general. Additions are encouraged. Not that you will ever contribute, as you well shouldn't.

Archive of quest reviews (if you find a review that is not on the list, please link it in the thread. Not that you will, nor will any reviews ever be posted.):
http://pastebin.com/u/QuestReviewsArchive

>QM Question
Would you prefer to run a quest that your passionate about with little participation from anons, or run a quest with tons of anons but an idea you really dislike?

>Player Question
Why do you lurk in a quest instead of contributing to them?
>>
>>1635146
Why on earth would you do something as a hobby that you dislike?
>>
>>1635275
I wouldn't but I'm curious if other people would.
>>
>>1635275
Hate and bitterness is one of the most popular pastimes around.
>>
>>1635146
>Player Question
Usually is to see if the quest is something i like, gauging the QM and his plot.
Most of the times is because of timezone related issues and can only post one time a day.
>>
>>1635304
Oh forgot to add.
If i find a quest i like i try to participate as much as i can contributing with write in's and the like.
>>
>>1635275
well not liking the idea might still include having moderate fun with the art of QMing in general.
>>
>>1635146
>>QM Question
Running an idea you dislike just never ends well

>Player Question
I'm not replying either when otehr anons seem to unanimously support my preferred option, or when I have no strong preference.
Or when I don't know what to do and hope another anon will choose the course of action so if everything goes to shit I would not be responsible.
>>
>>1635146
>QM Question
Running something without liking it would be painful for everyone

>Player Question
If I'm busy doing other stuff
>>
>>1635351
>spoilers
What's the worst that's happened to you, anon?
>>
>>1635371
The players, in their paranoia, screamed at and brought to tears a little girl who just wanted to be friends.
Never before have I felt like such a scum.
>>
>>1635400
And before that, players following my idea accidentally destroyed a city.
And before even that, I made a potential friend hate us by saying a single wrong word.
That quest is merciless.
>>
>>1635400
> The players, in their paranoia, screamed at and brought to tears a little girl who just wanted to be friends.
What the fuck. How did that happen?
>>
>>1635404
A combination of long-standing paranoia and anons' inability to read social cues. The girl had a high position in the local religious organization, so the players tended to see her every action as a political ploy. Especially when the girl tried to do something nice for us.
>>
>>1635405
But did you vote for Clarity?
>>
>>1635408
No.
I haven't yet caught up on the archives at that point, fortunately.
>>
>>1635275
Because hate and bitterness is the only thing I feel and I use it as a fuel source to spite myself
>>
How many US anons are gonna be absent on the 4th? I want to run a quest but I'm worries it'll be a ghost town.
>>
File: IMG_9668.png (50KB, 202x164px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9668.png
50KB, 202x164px
>>1635146
>QM Question
One I enjoy. If I'm not enjoying running the quest it defeats the purpose of running in the first place.
>Player Question
Because I'm constantly working and/or running my own quest. I lost hours of quality thread time working on re-fencing a lot and loading/unloading hay.
>>1635494
I'll be doing on the fourth what I do every day. Working.
>>
>>1635400
Yeah. Players are inherently evil.

Wanted to run an innocent (as innocent as 40k allows) quest where you run from the Inquisition with help from your latent psychic powers.

Now it has turned in to a murderfest. It's literally Edgy McMurderknife now. It's all my fault, too
>>
>>1635535
>Yeah. Players are inherently evil.

No they are dumb and toothless, Crusader quest proved this
>>
>>1635507
>I'll be doing on the fourth what I do every day. Working.

Even on Christmas?
>>
>QM Question
I do this for fun, so the former obviously

>Player Question
Either because I'm afraid I'll make a bad decision or because I jump half way in and too busy catching up.
>>
>>1635548
I don't know any business open on Christmas. But even if I'm not at work, I'm still working. Living on a farm does that. We usually butcher a cow on Christmas Day, if it is cold enough for that week to let it hang.
>>
>>1635544
Too busy coming up with conveluted plans that will go nowhere when there is a much simpler action to take and utterly terrified of doing something someone who isnt considered 100% evil will dislike them ?
>>
>>1635559
>utterly terrified of doing something someone who isnt considered 100% evil will dislike them ?

yes, the convulted plans were just funny watching anon go full autist
>>
>>1635146
American Arcana will pull a double session, one starting approx. two hours from now at 2 PM US Central and the other at the regular time of 9PM-1AM, because my family has stuff scheduled for the fourth and I have the day off from work.
>QM question
Already doing the first (if less than 20 anons is 'little').
>Player Question
Mostly because when I go on /qst/ I'm running, so I don't want to accidentally forget to take off/put on my trip.
>>
>>1635611
>Already doing the first (if less than 20 anons is 'little').

Try more like less than 5. Most mediocre or simply unestablished quests are lucky get 3 consistent voters per session.
>>
>>1635611
>Already doing the first (if less than 20 anons is 'little').
>(if less than 20 anons is 'little').
>'little'
oi, look at mr. fancypants over here with all these questers!
>>
>>1635618
Can confirm - king of mediocrity here.
>>
>>1635618
>>1635620
I only say that because the best I got in one thread was 15 after there was a mistake and /qst/ counted me twice.
Usually I end up with ~4-5 in one night like you all indicate, but I run one thread for multiple sessions and the numbers tend to go up. Dunno if that's because people change browser or what.
>>
>>1635146

>QM Question
I prefer the former. The latter reminds me of a certain Marvel/DC incident of Qm quitting midway.

>Player Question
sometimes you need to binge the archive to get up to date while looking at the current situation. It's like History lesson. Other times, the route is going sidetracked or fall into a shitfest. You might enjoy the scene when the quest burns, especially with hardcore QMs
>>
Btw, does anyone have created a Cooking/chef quest?

Dragon crown really does make delicious looking food
>>
>>1635726
I haven't seen one before, no.
>>
File: Withered-Body-Header.jpg (213KB, 950x1380px) Image search: [Google]
Withered-Body-Header.jpg
213KB, 950x1380px
>>1635727
>>1635727

Withered Hero is running again! Let's see if we can rough up some more lizards this time!
>>
>>1635728
Anyone got a system or mechanic for that?

Eg: salt increase delicacy by 2
or Easter style can improve taste while maintaining the buff of strength
>>
American Arcana is back on for the first of the double continuation, going until about 6. The other half runs at 9PM Central today and goes until 1AM.
>>
>>1635801
Forgot link:
>>1634455
Will accompany with music to make up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csvMrjvl__8
>>
>>1635611
>Less than 20
>Little

Pray tell, what do you think is a BIG quest? A thousand?
>>
>>1635878
He's probably talking about those threads on /tg/ that reached 1500 replies.
>>
File: Space Marine 2.jpg (600KB, 721x1162px) Image search: [Google]
Space Marine 2.jpg
600KB, 721x1162px
Chapter Master Quest is running

>>1635945
>>1635945
>>1635945
>>
File: tcq_notbsuns.png (251KB, 800x492px) Image search: [Google]
tcq_notbsuns.png
251KB, 800x492px
>>1629994
>>1629994

Panzer Commander Quest is running now, and through the week, with variable starting times that are all supposed to be 3PM EST but never end up being that.

Did you think you could stay in a nice, simple war? What a pity, because through a series of complex schemes you've deserted (but not really), assumed the colors of an opposed mercenary group, and are following them back to their stronghold to assault it and free prisoners. How delightfully unorthodox. Also completely mad.
>>
>>1635878
>>1635911
This, mostly.
I've seen stuff like 50 or even 100-replyer quests, but that's usually rare.
>>
>>1636037
1500 reply quests on /tg/ were rare, but not unheard of.
>>
so what Quests is everybody following right now, and why should we follow them as well?
>>
>>1636087
I'm following that totally rad Psyker Quest, >>1633157 , which might or might not be because I am the one writing it.

I'll gladly accept any criticism. God knows my writing is up for improvement.
>>
>>1636114
There's only this one thread of Psyker Quest at the moment, correct?
>>
>>1636132
Yup.
>>
>>1636173
If you're serious about criticism, I'll look it over and get back to you when I get some time. There's not much content, so I can't promise it will be anything in depth, but I can at least give you some first impressions.

Alternatively, come back when you've run around 10 sessions and I can give you a more detailed response. I prefer this method since most people tend to pick up on their own weaknesses and strengths during the first 10 threads or so, and it helps to see how you write once you've settled into what you feel is a comfortable groove, as opposed to the early threads where you're still trying to find a stride that fits you.

But whichever suits you, really.
>>
>>1636209
Erhm, both? I really doubt that this quest will last that long, though.
>>
Leaving this for Mortician
>>1620251
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/1620251/
One thread of fun
>>
>Still no word on the two Mecha quests mentioned here.
Life as a /m/an is suffering.
>>
>>1636576
Yep, that one was fun.
>>
Happy Fourth of July, /qst/

New Lego Quest if anybody wants to come play!

>>1636755
>>
File: re-creators-kv.jpg (127KB, 465x650px) Image search: [Google]
re-creators-kv.jpg
127KB, 465x650px
RE:CREATORS CRISIS

A Re:Creators-derived quest and mega-crossover.

Fiction and reality intersect.

In the aftermath of the destruction of Tokyo at the hands of the fictional-turned life Altair, around the world, fictional characters are entering the real world at an alarming rate. Determined to preserve order at any cost possible, with the aid of UNESCO, the governments of the world have taken drastic measures to gain control over this flood of fictional characters. To an extent, they are successful. It is precisely of this however, that the world is suffering.

As a result of the Crisis and the ensuing government power grabs, the global balance has power has shifted to those states with extensive cultural and intellectual properties. Because of this, despite the destruction of Tokyo, Japan has not only rebounded, but as a result caught up to China in geopolitical clout due to its anime boom. Canada is on the verge of becoming a great power due to the many childrens TV shows that are co-produced there. The United States preserves its number one position as superpower for the time being with its vast media empire, but the rate at which other countries are advancing is about to plunge the world into yet another multipolar anarchy. With their thousands of legends, India and Africa are plunged into an abyss of unending unrest, and in a duel for hegemony over the Middle East, Iran and Saudi Arabia call upon Persian literature and the Hadith to wage their cold war against each other...
>>
One question before I write up key plot points and try my own quest out.

>How long should I hold out on introducing female characters?
>>
>>1637132
Shut the fuck up Kyon-kun.
>>
Everything is awful.
>>
Running a marathon session of Shipgirl Commander.
>>
>>1637315
When you think it is appropriate to doso
>>
>>1637132
>yet another anime rip off quest

I didn't realise /qst/ was so creatively bankrupt
>>
>>1637315
Don't
>>
>>1637540
>>1637554
Whatbworries me most is that I've got multiple plots avaliable for differing genders/upbringings, and that brings to question /qst/'s infamy with waifuing no matter what gender they choose.
>>
>>1637594
I would worry more about having players.
>>
>>1637315
It's not a question of when imo, it's how many. You should introduce them all roughly at the same time to reduce first girl syndrome probability. Or, at least, make them uninterested in romance til one point.

Hell if you're concerned about waifu wars make none of them interested. Make the MC not interested because they're married or just not in the game or whatever. You hardly have to avoid introducing characters of a certain sex when you have complete control of setting characters and narrative.
>>
Any advice for a new guy looking to get in on this? Not new to 4chan in general, just new here on quest.
>>
>>1637768
running or playing?
>>
>>1637851
running for me
>>
>>1637851

Looking to run one actually. Maybe play in a few if something catches my eye, but it seems hard to break into one that's been going for a while.
>>
>>1635742
Nada, sorry. There are a few archived quests on sup/tg/, but they haven't gone into any depth.
>>
>>1637855
>>1637864
well good luck, as you can see from your own example, the ratio of players to QMs is a bit wonky.

I'm sure somebody more competent will give you a rundown, but until then, here have a few cents:

1. Don't exposition dump for more than a post and a half. If the first decision is any further than in the second post, nobody's gonna bother reading it.

2. Character creation is super dicey. Unless you have a big hook that makes it fluid or particularly fun, keep it to two or three questions max, or just don't do it.

3. Fucking spacing. Don't write in a big block, make use of formatting, have important things like dialogue or new introductions pop, make it immediately clear what we're looking for.

4. All the GM stuff: Be prepared for your players to be stupid, be prepared for them to say fuck your set pieces and open a bakery in the starting village, be prepared to be accused of shit you haven't done.

5. Be transparent with your rules, or if you aren't, pretend like you are.

6. Don't be impatient, your quest might only be discovered by more people hours, maybe a day in its life span. But even if only one guy writes in, consistently update. If you're intriguing, it'll get better. Overeagerness or disappointment kill more threads than legit lack of players.

7. Connected to (6): Consider how many people are on this board and adjust your expectations. If you're expecting 25 people vying to vote on your choices (oh right, another thing: keep choices clear and not too numerous), you're bound to be disappointed.

There is a lot more stuff to say, but unless you've got specific questions, that's what you're getting from me.
>>
>>1637911
thank you my guy
>>
>>1637911

Thank you very much for the response. I appreciate it. Those are helpful. Honestly I don't know what else to ask since I don't really know to much about all of this. Already I can see a few things I probably did wrong when I put up my first thread. Still, little early to see if it might not catch on with at least a few people. Best to wait and see I suppose.
>>
>>1637855
>>1637864
Play some, read established quests archive etc. Look at how succesful QMs run their quests, what you like and don't like about their methods, and then once you have a good grasp of what you want out of the quests you run and how to achieve that, run something.

Or just run something with no experience or knowledge of the medium and hope it turns out alright.
>>
>>1637956

I take it you don't recommend the second option.
>>
File: favourite food.jpg (145KB, 850x829px) Image search: [Google]
favourite food.jpg
145KB, 850x829px
I've basically snapped out of my funk so Academy Tournament Organisation Quest will be running on the 8th of July at 10:30 pm UTC. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and told me not to quit.
>>
>>1637594
>I've got multiple plots avaliable for differing genders/upbringings

don't, have the mc be a pre existing character, not a vessel for the players to self insert
>>
>>1638010
But some MCs are supposed to be vessels for the readers. Isn't that kind of the point, for them to imagine "if it was me, then I would do this"?
>>
>>1638020
>''if it was me, then I would do this"?

I disagree, when this happpens players tend to fall into doing the same thing in every quest you participate in, its why you rarely see characters of ruthless ambition or anything out of being an extremly diplomatic character.

I personally see it more as an extension of roleplaying and more along the lines of ''what would this character do in this situation''
>>
>>1635559
>utterly terrified of doing something someone who isnt considered 100% evil will dislike them ?
I feel like that is every quest.

Anons are terrified of being seen as unpopular or amoral - unless they are being EDGY and going full retarted evil.

Why is that? In life 'good' people sometimes have to do morally ambiguous things either for the greater good or for themselves.
>>
>>1637768

https://pastebin.com/AnEdiZcp
>>
>>1638027
because ,they don't want to be the aformentioned EDGY or ''full retard'' evil, I honestly feel like the latter becomes a bit of strawman to any opposition to an act that a anon or anons disagree with, case in point in crusader quest, Wilhelm the primary MC had an opportunity to either get involved in or malevolently neglect a plot against their leige lord and his new wife and child, if their liege lord died the lordship would fall to one of three candidates

1. the MC either as the regent for the lords unborn child or as strong claiment and well liked lord of Jerusalem
2. the Sister and her lover who plotted to kill him, the MC had some evidence of this
3.The queen of Jerusalem who could potentially award it to her exlover the primary MC

Instead of doing either of the two they warned the lord for no other reason other than he was likeable while ignoring the potential windfall of profit from getting involved.
>>
>>1638041

Thank you.
>>
File: his girls Monday through Friday.jpg (150KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
his girls Monday through Friday.jpg
150KB, 800x600px
Lego Quest is back up if anybody wants to come play!

>>1636755
>>
So is it just impossible to register a twitter account without a phone number these days?

I created one and it was locked for "automated activity" a minute after being created. Hadn't followed or posted anything yet.

The complaint form just sent me an automated email demanding I "confirm my identity" with a phone number, which doesn't confirm anything, since I never entered one yet.
>>
How big a deal is it to just never create a twitter account? I see people advertising in this thread, is that enough?
>>
>>1638660
I've had a similar thing happen before. The phone number is so they can send you a text with a confirmation code.
>>
>>1638676
I know I get at least a few of my players through my Twitter.

I think most of my players are from the Lego General on /toy/, though.
>>
>>1638676
Those are two completely different things.

Twitter isn't for advertising. Advertising on twitter does literally nothing. Of course advertising in QTG does next to nothing, but /qst/-QMs are desperate enough to drag their name through the mud by doing it anyway.

Twitter is for making it easier for your followers to match your schedule by actually telling them ahead of time when to expect the next thread. You use it to maintain your followers, basically.

Don't confuse the two.
>>
>>1638676
Twitter isn't for advertising, it's for announcements so your players know when you're running way in advance
>>
>>1638690
>>1638691

Okay, well how big a deal is it to never make a Twitter account and just announce things in advance in here or something?
>>
>>1638694
Assuming a fairly regular schedule
>>
>>1638694
A horrible idea that is almost guaranteed to kill your playerbase unless it's big enough to rely entirely on "whoever happened to be looking at just the right time."
>>
>>1638694
>>1638695
You can do it just expect to have people not around for things. Twitter is well suited for this sort of thing what with notifications and history of specific profiles. Posting in the general is a poor substitute to say the least.
>>
>>1638694
Your posts could risk getting lost among the other bullshit here. With Twitter, you can be certain what you post is going to show up in your players' feeds, assuming you link your twitter for players to see.

One of the squares on "dead quest bingo" is "no QM twitter". Make of that what you will.
>>
File: 7fUDkEg.jpg (74KB, 570x789px) Image search: [Google]
7fUDkEg.jpg
74KB, 570x789px
Speaking of dragging names through the mud, Dark Empire Quest is live again.

>>1638954
>>1638954
>>1638954
>>
>>1638953
running another jojo's bizarre adventure quest's session is up and running if anyone wants to check it out
>>
Cinderella Sanction Quest will start on Thursday, July 6th, in the early afternoon. I hope to see y'all there
>>
>>1639064
More changeling fun/trauma? Sweet, looking forward to it. Afternoon who's time?
>>
>>1639352
EST, my friend.
>>
>>1638704
I need to see this more than I probably should.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d2)

Test
>>
>>1639552
Confirmed successful.
>>
File: QuestThreadBingo.png (165KB, 600x675px) Image search: [Google]
QuestThreadBingo.png
165KB, 600x675px
>>1639548

Might as well post it.
>>
File: IMG_0211.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0211.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>1639661
Gave me a giggle or two, thanks!
>>
>>1639694

No problem.
>>
>>1639661
>Half of these are me
Fuk.

I've asked this before, but I'll ask again, as long as it's not derailing/distracting from the game, why is meta talk bad?

Why CANT(Shouldn't) I say Madoka is the best?
>>
>>1639716
Save metaposting for the post-thread, waiting for the next installment time period. Plus you can use that time to keep your players hyped by giving small spoilers and keeping discussions going.
>>
>>1639661
Fuck
>>
So how well do surreal quests often do? I was sorta thinking of doing a oneshot roadtrip quest.

Sometime in the future, a giant meteor is hurtling towards the Earth, and all attempts to destroy or redirect it have failed. The planet has only a month to live until all life is wiped out.

You are just some guy waking up and hearing the news when the reality of all life being wiped out settles throughout civilization. Some people do whatever the hell they want without any regard to laws, some just party long and hard until the final moments, and others try to make amends with what little time they have.

You, however, grab a baseball bat and begin heading over across the country to the impact site where the meteor will wipe out all of humanity.
>>
>>1640059
>You are just some guy waking up and hearing the news when the reality of all life being wiped out settles throughout civilization. Some people do whatever the hell they want without any regard to laws, some just party long and hard until the final moments, and others try to make amends with what little time they have.
>You, however, grab a baseball bat and begin heading over across the country to the impact site where the meteor will wipe out all of humanity.

heh, I get that refrence
>>
I want to try and be a QM, but I have never had any experience of the sort. Should I just participate in threads as a player for a while, or just try and jump right into the fun?
>>
>>1640165
>Should I just participate in threads as a player for a while

Absolutely. Lurk then play a little til you have a decent foundation.
>>
>>1640205
Read good quests to see what to do.
Read bad quests to see what to not do.
>>
>>1640165
What would even make you want to ruin a quest if you've never played one? Can a person even be said to know what a quest is if they've never participated in a pre-/qst/ quest?
>>
>>1640252
Stem your elitism.
Some quests on /qst/ are exactly like pre-/qst/.
>>
>>1640267
There always easy to pick out too.
>>
I don't fucking get it.
Why do people play SOMIUS quests? Why? Where's the appeal? Why do these people forgive his oft repeated shitty mistakes and just plain mediocre skills as a QM? Someone who follows his shit, tell me why. Cuz I just can't solve this fucking puzzle. Why do you like this?
>>
What quest running now has the cringiest awful waifu shitflinging wars?

>>1640335
Fanfic.
Masochism.
>>
>>1640335
This guy
>>1640342
has it right
>>
Help, I want to run a quest but my timezone is shit and I've never run a quest before. What should I do?
>>
>>1640451
With /qst/'s speed you can run at one or two posts per day. This obviates the timezone issue. As for having never run a quest before, the only cure is to run one.
>>
>>1640451
what's your time zone and concept?
>>
>>1640455
How long do people usually prepare before starting a quest?
>>
>>1640460
Anywhere between weeks to not at all.

It entirely depends on how well you think you can improvise and how well thought out the quest plotline and setting themselves are.
>>
>>1640457
>timezone
GMT+8
>concept
I have several, but they might be bad.
What are some overdone or extremely hard to do concepts that people have seen so far? I don't want my quest to be shit and boring.
>>
>>1640483
>GMT+8

that IS shit. You could do trial and error throughout the day to find out when you get the most players, but I understand that that's a risky business. You could do what >>1640455 suggested and probably be fine, but I'd be very clear about it in the opening post.

>>1640460
I only do with artwork and opening paragraphs, and sometimes I even make artwork on the spot.
>>
>>1640483
If your quest is shit or boring, it won't be because of your premise. If you're this clueless and still don't want to look up the qtg pastebin HINT HINT:
>run something
>if it turns out to be shit, learn
>run something again
>if it turns out to be the exact same kind of shit, we have a problem
>otherwise, you're doing fine

I could tell you to lurk moar, I could tell you to read some good quests, but clearly you aren't going to do either of those, friendo.
>>
>>1640342
>>1640348
I gotta say, that's not good enough of an explanation. I was looking through archives, which are weird by the way I don't even know if he bothers archiving his own shit, and he's ended like three quests with 'whoops you're dead now'. And every time I've seen this happen most people in the thread are just like 'Oh no! Well, still love you Som!'. And I don't fucking get why. I'm not trying to publicly attack the guy or anything. I'm just trying to wrap my head around how he does these things he does and still gets so many players so consistently.
though I will admit some real frustration that he's run a couple of the only quests based off of some of my favorite series
>>
>>1640623
I'm getting more and more curious. what the hell is SOMIUS?
>>
>>1640623
To be perfectly honest?

I think it's consistency which is what a lot of QMs lack.

The guy is always going to write low brow anime fanfiction until the end of time but he runs consistently and frequently which is a huge draw. Combine that with the draw of being a established QM and the draw of anime fanfic it's not too hard to understand why he gets players even though he railroads, writes pretty soullessly, and kills the MC off when things don't go the way he wants.
>>
>>1640632
A QM who's notorious for

A: frequently abandoning quests at random, or/and
B: Killing off the MC with rocks fall everyone dies/bolt from heaven

whenever he doesn't feel like running the quest anymore.
>>
Who the fuck invented multi civ quests and why is this autistic cancer all over quest lately. You wanna larp Age of Empires go somewhere else
>>
>>1640803
>You wanna larp Age of Empires go somewhere else

what are you talking about. If anybody asked me where best to larp Age of Empires, I'd say qst
>>
>>1640803
>>1640807
yeah, this
if anyone asked me where to put their garbage roleplaying threads it's here or it's /trash/ and at that point it's just a difference of non taste
>>
>>1640845
you shouldn't brag about rummaging in trash.
>>
>>1640803
>HURR DURR WHY IS THERE THING I DONT LIKE

Jeez you must be fun at parties
>>
>>1640865
>1 post by this ID
>Defending multi civs
>>
>>1640865
>Literally the reason why /qst/ exists
>>
>>1640854
don't worry bruv I've made sure nobody knows I browse qst
>>
>>1640879
You just did.
>>
>>1640874
Thats two posts by this ID

Give me six reasons why multi civs are not good.
>>
>>1640887
oh fuq time to delete chrome and kms
>>
>>1640888
Six? Why, did somebody give you five earlier and you were certain that that was all they had in the tank?

Fuck you, flaws vary by degrees and six paper cuts are in no way worse to a single disembowelment.

I don't even give a shit about multi-civs because as a whole they're a failure of a concept and you'll be lucky to see one go beyond two threads. The longest lasting ones I've ever seen didn't even reach ten.
>>
When is the best time to start a brand new quest?
>>
>>1641017
>>
>>1641017
>>
>>1641017
>>
File: blowout soon fellow stalker.png (133KB, 402x421px) Image search: [Google]
blowout soon fellow stalker.png
133KB, 402x421px
>>1641017
>>
>>1641017
This time last year, when /qst/ was being advertised as a new trial board and people were flocking to it out of curiosity.
>>
>>1641017
I see you've had plenty of helpful responses already.

Probably late afternoon/early evening on a Saturday. Plenty of people around to get on the wagon, and you've got the whole evening to try and really get the ball rolling well enough that people might come back when you next run.
>>
>>1641017
For a real answer start Friday/Saturday nights or late noons american times. Catch people getting out of work and NEETs simultaneously.
>>
New Titans thread up

>>1641095
>>
>>1641026
>>1641027
>>1641031
So we're doing this again, huh?
>>
>>1641233
Unfortunately no. The past is dead and it's never coming back. All we do now is dance.
>>
>mediocre to poor kancolle quest starts on akun
>57 viewers
>25 likes already
Shit, why would you write anything other than fan fiction?
>>
>>1643042
Some don't get personal fulfillment out of fanfiction. That isn't to say that people who do have problems or anything, but for example I couldn't see myself running a fanfiction quest because it wouldn't give me anything I wanted from writing.

Perhaps it'd be more popular than any original setting I came up with if I ran a fanfiction quest, but I, and I think most QMs, want something more than just the (You)s.
>>
>>1643042
If you only want to pander you might as well start a quest over at spacebattles.
>>
>>1643087
>wanting to write something nobody will ever read
>>
Question for QMs and players:

Does anyone have strong feelings about a quest that runs off of "QM Fiat" (what QM says goes) over using hard mechanics like dice rolls?
>>
>>1643487
Let me tell you about a certain QM named aeroplane homosexual...
>>
>>1643487
Depends if the fiat develops things or if it takes away from potential senses of accomplishment, looking at you penumbra ace.
>>
My quest thread is beyond the bump-timelimit. Should I just create a new thread?
>>
>>1643487
I think there needs to be mutual understanding and trust between player and QM for a more narrative, less mechanical (QM Fiat) for it to work well.
>>
>>1643517
No. Not unless it's almost about to be kicked off the board and into archive. It takes about a week for a thread to reach that point from bumplimit.
>>
>>1643517
How many days has it been on the board?

Three to six days, just keep using the same thread.
Six to eight days, you may want to start a new one.
>>
>>1643526
>>1643525
Okay. I was just afraid it wouldn't be seen by anyone and be ignored due to its age.

Thanks.
>>
>>1643529
Most people with a brain that frequent /qst/ has switched their catalog sorting to [Last Reply] instead of [Bump Order]
>>
>>1643535
I'm afraid most people here do not possess brains. Eitherway, I heeded your advice.
>>
Seeing that Worm thread die is driving me to want to start my own WormQuest. But since I'm an idiot with little to no experience as a QM, I'm going to first refer to as many guides or pastebins full of tips and advice as much as I possible can.
>>
Rolled 3, 2 = 5 (2d6)

Is this board more American centric or can somebody from European timezones get love out of it? It seems like most action happens early morning to me
>>
>>1643783
Being a bookworm is a good start. Good luck
>>
>>1643791
Meh, depends. I've gotten much entertainment from this, but it's irritating that most of your potential players can't be playing due to timezones.
>>
>>1643783
>Seeing that Worm thread die is driving me to want to start my own WormQuest.

My condolences. Chemo is going to be expensive.
>>
>>1643817
kek
>>
>>1643801
>bookworm
I already read a lot. I have no idea if my writing will be good or not, but we'll see. Don't expect it to happen anytime soon, but maybe by this next week I'll have read enough to feel ready to start shit up.

>>1643817
>chemo is going to be expensive
>implying all of us don't live and breathe our own brand of cancer daily on this mongolian basket-weaving chessboard forum
I will be
>J U S T
fine
>>
>>1643791
There's a bit of a American bias, but there are European QMs out there that make it work.
>>
File: ajIJSft 1.jpg (2MB, 3591x5044px) Image search: [Google]
ajIJSft 1.jpg
2MB, 3591x5044px
Dark Empire is back. Come be evil. You know, the good kind of evil.

>>1643954
>>1643954
>>1643954
>>
Been writing a Franken Fran style quest on A-kun. Figured it was about time I post about and beg for more readers in here.

https://fiction.live/stories/The-Flesh-Peddler/sTZuJvw9Gb4Ypks8W/home
>>
>>1644086
>Franken Fran

You have my attention
>>
>>1643042
>Akun

there's you're answer, its nothing but trash
>>
>>1643487
I've always been puzzled by QM fiat being seen as railroady. Because with dice the QM's the one who sets the difficulty, the outcome. They even have the option of going into much finer detail to fish for more rolls to go horribly right/wrong.

I've seen some good use of that last one in some quests.

Dice can definitely add excitement though.
>>
Any chance I can get some reviews here? Mostly looking for general writing advice, though thoughts on dice systems would be appreciated as well.

https://fiction.live/user/mage
>>
Here's a QM question:

Anyone ever take a break in the middle of an ongoing, long-term quest to run a different quest? Is this a kiss of death?
>>
>>1645721
Hiatuses happen and loyal players stick them out. Waiting for a QM to come back knowing he's running another quest though tends to leave a rather bitter taste in my mouth.
>>
>>1645721
Yes, kinda. I ran both for a while, then shifted mostly to the newer one before taking a break.

Didn't really notice a drop in readers that couldn't be explained by the hiatus, and I didn't get any complaints about it.
>>
>>1645721
I've taken multiple breaks in the past for various reasons. Player counts fluctuate as a result.

I'd say that running another quest is a reason that will go down less well than holidays or losing the spark, but if people enjoy your quest they'll put up with a fair amount of shit.
>>
>>1646844
Gravedigger quest seems to be moving about again.
>>
>>1647300
>>1647300
>>1647300

Beleaguered Prince Quest is now up and running.
>>
Is it considered bad to advertise your quest in the /qtg/ seeing as it's dedicated to the discussion of quests and not the advertisement of them?

I just want to know in order to not bring shame upon my trip.
>>
>>1647345
Advertise as much as you want
>>
>>1647345
Nobody gives a shit. It's another place to announce it.
>>
File: tickmachines.gif (3MB, 540x336px) Image search: [Google]
tickmachines.gif
3MB, 540x336px
>>1647362
>>1647372
Great - Rogue Psyker has been running for 3 hours and likely for 1 or 2 more!

>>1646538 is the first post of the new session,

>>1633157 is the first post of the quest, for the uninitiated.
>>
File: IMG_9876.jpg (35KB, 537x539px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9876.jpg
35KB, 537x539px
>>1647403
I personally like what you're doing with your setting and story wise. The first few posts I've read view the setting as if the person has no meta knowledge of it and takes it through the PoV of the actual psyker and their knowledge -- which is a pitfall most 40k quests go through. Though the way it's written is fun and new I have to say that the writing itself is somewhat off. Grammar and spelling is pretty bad but at no point am I lost to what is going on in a scene. So far this quest seems promising, at least from what little I've read so far, and I hope to see you constantly advertising it here.
>>
>>1647516
Grammar and such gets better later on when I realize that using a separate text editor gives me much better overview of my text than the inbuilt 4chan offers. But yeah, my grammar is pretty bad - perks of being a non-native speaker; I have an excuse.
>>
>>1647516
Fucking ayy. Tired as shit. Anyways, I'll make a obituary real quick like.

>>1647526
Yeah, I'm a phoneposter so I usually just use the notepad on my phone.
>>
File: heresy.jpg (79KB, 625x941px) Image search: [Google]
heresy.jpg
79KB, 625x941px
>>1647534
>phoneposter
>>
File: Basic advice for new QMs.png (444KB, 2952x1066px) Image search: [Google]
Basic advice for new QMs.png
444KB, 2952x1066px
Welcome to this weeks obituary. Today's headlines are short. These posts are for those who wish to know why the board is filled with withering carcasses of failed ideas. I am the mortician and I will show you why.

>>1619292
Draw quest. "What Do" pitfall. Expected anons to think for themselves. Pronounced dead.

>>1624798
Ms paint quest. Dubs and numbers game deal. Not an actual quest he just stated rules and left when another confronted him about a previous quest he abandoned. Pronounced dead.

>>1624519
Skirmish quest(?) op took too long to reply then the players did the same. Both seemed to lose interest in the quest perhaps from lack of understanding a complicated system or overburdening the players with an odd amount of text instead of addressing them separately and clearly. Pronounced dead.

>>1627945
Quest. "What do" pitfall. Weird quest. Unattractive from the catalog. Pronounced dead.

>>1630622
Wrong board. Pronounced dead.

>>1629405
Quest. Holy shit. Took too long and lost the entirety of his players. First & second post had the most replies I've seen in a while. Op had constantly left and returned for various amounts of time randomly. If you start a quest MAKE TIME FOR IT ESPECIALLY YOUR FIRST THREAD. sad. Pronounced dead.

>>1629461
Quest. wut? Op disappeared. Pronounced dead.

>>1627743
Quest. Anon is savage>>1632360. Op suicides. Good shit anon. Pronounced dead.

>>1628846
Quest. Op is in the shoes of the protag, players answer questions. A reverse quest. Op took too long. Pronounced dead.

>>1634805
Quest. "What do" pitfall. Pronounced dead.

>>1635569
Risk(?) quest. "What do" pitfall. First post became filled with rules and an overly complicated looking system. Pronounced dead.

>>1632662
"Le random" quest. /b/ tier. Pronounced dead.

>>1637730
Quest. Op does a disappearing act. Pronounced dead.

>>1639625
2004 4chan meme quest. Op forgot how to properly prepare for a risk quest. Pronounced dead.

>>1639081
Civ game. "Character creation" pitfall. Pronounced dead.

>>1639428
Meme quest. Op abandoned. Pronounced dead.

>>1633586
Quest. Op took too long between updates then abandoned it. Also unattractive from catalog. Pronounced dead.

>>1637556
Quest. Op disappears. Pronounced dead.

>>1637556
Quest. "Character creation" pitfall. Pronounced dead.

>>1639338
Draw Quest. Took too long between posts. Op drops. Pronounced dead.

>>1639171
Quest. Took too long between posts. Pronounced limbo.

>>1646502
Quest(?). What? Pronounced dead?

>Other quests are too fresh or the op promised to return. If I missed any or you wish for me to do an autopsy, please tell me.
>>
File: 1498949995114.png (199KB, 376x302px) Image search: [Google]
1498949995114.png
199KB, 376x302px
>>1647905
Another smashing obit without my quest on it A rousing success!

These always make me smile, like seeing old classmates failing at life.
>>
>>1647905
These are good shit. I hope you continue to feel like doing this. I'm sure it'll help if people read and learn from their failings.
>>
File: IMG_9881.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9881.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>1648023
>>1648047
Thanks guys, idk if I can get one next Friday but if I do it might be real short.
>>
>>1647905
Autopsy the WormQuest please? OP just did one session then left in the middle of it for good. It was going good too. ;_;
>>
>>1648346
>Worm
>Good
>>
>>1648346
Link? Or did I link it in the obituaries? Is it in the archives?
>>
>>1648577
Worm is fine.
I always just felt it was needlessly dour. Like Watchmen. Like, ooh I get it the world sucks.
>>
>>1648609
It's >>1619288
>>
File: giphy.gif (3MB, 1059x596px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
3MB, 1059x596px
>my players took the meme option
I have only myself to blame for even offering it.
>>
>>1648831
Why? Were the meme options not memey enough to result in good shit happening?
>>
>>1648998
Nah. Just didn't railroad my players hard enough. Kidding of course. I like the direction we went in more than what I had originally planned anyway. :)
>>
>>1647905
Anon you're doing gods work please do this on a semi regular basis
>>
/qst/ newfag here. Is anyone here AEST? I know this board is slow at the best of times, but it's a damn morgue in the afternoon, which is basically the only time I have to come here. What do you guys do aside from take up neetdom? Are we really just shit out of luck like the pastebin says?
>>
>>1649404
I am, I get around it by running in the morning on weekends and having a job in hospitality where I mainly work nights. If you can't do that though yeah you're fucked.
>>
File: 293.png (186KB, 1000x1144px) Image search: [Google]
293.png
186KB, 1000x1144px
>>1649416
Thanks, m8.

I was kinda hoping it wasn't that bad and I was just getting unlucky. Guess I'll try to catch some stuff on the weekends.
>>
>>1647905
love it
>>
>>1649404
East Asian time?
>>
>>1649404
Some of the best quests in /tg/ history were run on East Asian / Australian times. It's fine if you have sufficient gud and you're not on a dead board that nobody wants.
>>
>>1649736
Australian Eastern Standard Time
>>
>>1649404
I'll be here, but only on weekend.
>>
>>1649388
Every Friday (mostly)
started last Friday
>>
File: 1453679404614.jpg (133KB, 904x640px) Image search: [Google]
1453679404614.jpg
133KB, 904x640px
LGA2 is alive and well.

>>1650550
>>
>>1647905
My quest didn't make it on there thank god.

You really are doing god's work anon danke
>>
File: girls und panzer.jpg (82KB, 676x484px) Image search: [Google]
girls und panzer.jpg
82KB, 676x484px
>>1650573
Go sit in a corner and contemplate your sins, anon.
>>
File: 19.3.jpg (432KB, 850x621px) Image search: [Google]
19.3.jpg
432KB, 850x621px
An update on the Paladin of Avalon is up!
https://fiction.live/stories/The-Paladin-of-Avalon/-JRvxJl3loGBg9Bo64XE/30-A-hero-should-only-be-one/XFMpzuaivwm87CH6K
Dis is the largest city
>>
File: 1463795247135.jpg (41KB, 534x532px) Image search: [Google]
1463795247135.jpg
41KB, 534x532px
>>1650709
>That fucking pic
Good lord that poor old man.
>>
for anyone wondering I am running yet another jojo's bizarre adventure quest session right now

>>1650943
>>
>>1651000

Running a One Piece Quest
>>
Academy Tournament Organisation Quest is running again!

>>1651075
>>
Made a ghost/horror quest from my old folders. Ill try to revived them just because questing is my hobby

>>1651732
>>1651732
>>
Alright folks, rather than an original setting quest, I think I'll try my hand at an InFamous-setting quest.

InFamous-setting will probably be a safer starting quest, and I was hoping to get some things sorted first. Namely, gathering hole loads of art for the posts, so it'll have enough visual references.
>>
>>1651909
Okay? Was that supposed to create any kind of discussion?

There's no question, only a statement, and not even a provocative one.

Are you looking for art? Was that what you mean?
>>
File: fog of prattle.jpg (120KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
fog of prattle.jpg
120KB, 800x600px
New episode of Lego Quest is live if anybody wants to come play:

>>1651932
>>
>>1651935
No, it was intended to just be a statement. I was pretty sure it was clear that it wasn't a question in any form.
>>
a little something i remembered
yo you three to five qms who said you lost your spark or whatever and deleted your twitters

i remember you
and at least three of you promised to quest again eventually

it's been several months
you know who you fuckers are
where me the quests you promise ya fuckss
>>
>>1652089
Spoilers the names?
>>
>>1652089
Deleting the twitter is the final nail in the coffin anon. They aren't coming back.

And if they do it'll be under a different name to get a fresh start.
>>
>>1652104
Likely Diarca, Crusty Jones, and REQM
>>
>>1652125
Rip Crusty
>>
>>1652104
fuckn what you mean i can't understand shit m7vn
hero guardian runner anime as fuckin beee but expected discussion i would discuss but couldn't always attend fucking life it's what it does
spirit quest darkness shit from a wordy fuq was shaky but getting good above avg writing with good characts HE PROMISED but fuck seeing a no nothign nothing i guess
a qm dm whose jumped so many quests it unfunny with a slaughterbot focused and gore was okay writtenly and had like blade runnerish or that shadow game potential fuck it tho
that last didn't delete twitter but i'm angry of its death

its important to me
that they know their crimes are not forgotten
that there exists one anon who participated and enjoyed
the quest{[(s)]} they killed

>>1652119
i will know them by their words and they will know me by my salts

>>1652125
no i mean newbies post-qst that did good
BEFRE THYE FUCKIANDG LEFT BECAUS
motivation or some excuse
maybe time and life obligations
i dunno FUCK THEM
>>
>>1652148
Your drunk, anon.

But also a little inspiring.
>>
>>1652148
Damn, i can feel your salts.

At least it's not me....
>>
>>1652148
Hero guardian was whiskey, I think. If that guy does come back, it'll likely be on akun tho.

Just a heads-up.
>>
>>1652134
May his ass rest in one piece.

Five minutes of phasing, gloves, druid, and fingerbanging in his name.
>>
File: myfacewhenIhaveNohFace.gif (875KB, 500x463px) Image search: [Google]
myfacewhenIhaveNohFace.gif
875KB, 500x463px
>>1652148
>>
>>1652156
akun
felling why
barf site
garbage day on widescreen
all that shit
ffuqit
>>
>>1652170
I mean, Crusty ran a quest on akun. So it's not all shit.
>>
>>1652148
>hero guardian
It's dead, Jim.
>>
I'm a massive faggot who is a drunk and who sucks colossal cocks.
>>
>>1652342
Same
>>
Any advice for a QM coming back from a long break?

I got a complete summary of the events till now and plan to give some people a grace period to read in the thread before I fo full throttle posting.
>>
>>1652499
Just... have a hook. A good one. Give a reason to actually dive into the archives.

And announce the session everywhere you fucking can because most people just aren't going to do that.
>>
>>1652156
It takes like a second for you to look up that Hero Guardian was ran by Shounen/Awoo.
>>
>>1652174
No it is, just because you're favourite dead Qm ran a quest there doesn't means it's any less than complete trash
>>
>>1652552
>Shounen/Awoo.

Who was Whiskey who changed his name cause he had a bad reputation.
>>
>>1652593
Oh shit, damn
>>
>>1652567
But that's where you're wrong. Crusty Jones best QM. Ever. His only mistake was dying.
>>
>>1652567
>implying his name alone isn't a huge boost to any score it has.
>calling a quest trash on anonkun, the birthplace of trashquests, as if it makes an impact

Don't blame him, blame nazi/tg/ needing to send us to the camp.
>>
Really though, there's decent stuff on akun, even now. Like Invincible Swordsman Quest, or Lost Earth. I'd also rec st.juste's Quest, but that's sadly ded.

I'm not denying that the vast majority of Quests on there are trash, however.
>>
>>1652148
MGHandler runs a spinoff/reboot of Hero Guardian from time to time. Mostly the same setting with some different characters, it looks like. Apparently got permission from Shounen/Awoo to do it.
>>
recommend me something running right now!
>>
>>1653511
what do you like

if you say"good quests" I'll fart in your fucking mouth.
>>
>>1635405
Sounds like it'd be fun to read
>>
>>1653580
I like most all settings, investigation or military prefered, but I'm not fussy.

I'm not way into the day to day minutia of the QC, I'm not one for romance or smut and I enjoy growth in my quests.

But mostly I was just asking for any quests you guys find recommendable, what you think deserves another player.
>>
>>1653621
>>1653511
XCOM Trooper runs every Friday night.
>>
>>1653199
What are those three?
>>
>>1653621
Depends on if you are willing to put up with reading a massive backlog to catch up first. That's probably the biggest question, do you want to find a good new quest, or are you willing to binge read a billion threads first? Because at this point all the fat has been boiled away from the tg days so more or less all of the old quests are worth recommending depending on your tastes.
>>
>>1652080
Did you go to the doctor with your mom and sister too? Heard they were doing something with water...
>>
>>1652089
>>1652148
Don't worry anon, the QMs who had left their quests will always remember what they did. Quite often they will try to return to their quests or to questing in general. Some succeed but the likelihood that they will run into the same problem they did beforehand will only be tenfold. But they will never forget their sins -- I, for one, won't.

Though I'm pretty sure those who have read my quest isn't around/ have forgotten it, I will always still want to write something and only quests really give that feeling of instant gratification for a written piece or that feeling of unique interaction. I remember a /qtg/ QM question a while back was "why do you perfer quests instead of other forms of literature." and it took me a while to figure it out but it's really the interaction -- something entirely unique to quests. I might write something in the future but I should stop rambling and thank you for reminding me that there is a chance that people might remember me.
>>
>not one decent quest running

wew
>>
>>1654500
Welcome to hell, son

Take your pick at the dead quests
>>
File: 2ij6auc.png (367KB, 480x639px) Image search: [Google]
2ij6auc.png
367KB, 480x639px
>>1654500
So i may be opening a fucking can of worms, but I'm gonna do it.

What makes a good quest "good"?

I think trash quests are pretty obvious to most everyone. But what are the "good" quests that everyone is missing so bad?

And dont give me generic shit like "well-written" or "Unique story". I'm genuinely curious what stars aspiring and current QMs should be shooting for.
>>
>>1654500
>Hive Queen
>Not decent
>>
How do you get people to play your quest initially? I've done a few and they always seem to get about 2 people and then it just falls off
>>
>>1655092
>2 people and then it just falls off

As a QM, i know this hell....
I have made quests with only 2 players min. they are good player...
>>
>>1655104
How do you keep those 2 going though? I can keep them for a bit and then eventually they vanish
>>
>>1655151
Hooks and promises.
or
Intense rolling and planning.

Make sure your idea is alluring enough to get them excited
>>
American Arcana is up.
>>1655161
We BOSS FIGHT now.
>>
>>1655151
If all else failed, fanservice
>>
>>1655168
>>1655178
Any examples?
>>
>>1655178
I feel like if I wrote fanservice, my players would find it more unsettling and stressful than appealing.
>>
>>1655249
Waifu interactions

>>1655257
What quest? Trawler?
>>
>>1653716
Lost Earth - Sci-Fi, heavily inspired by Galaxy Quest on tg, but still definitely distinct. You're a low ranking soldier, kidnapped from Earth and experimented on, unlocking Psychic powers in the process.

This leads to intrigue and ruin diving and all that fun stuff. QM is a bit flaky with several hiatuses, but it's still going. And when he runs, he updates pretty fast.

https://fiction.live/stories/Lost-Earth/F7ZGiJvrS2svXgarg/home

Invincible Swordsman Quest - Light wuxia, low-key postapocalyptic. Started as the quintessential 'Wandering Swordsman' Quest, on his road to becoming one of the fabled Invincible Swordsmen.

The Quest is a tale told by the MC himself, like in the Kingkiller Chronicles, which is a nod to plot-armor I appreciate. We've accomplished much, most notably killing a king, and are well on our way to truly being a living legend, thanks in no small part to some absolutely ridiculous rolls.

Due to real life matters, the pace of the sessions has slowed down lately, but the QM pretty much always runs when he says he will.

https://fiction.live/stories/Invincible-Swordsman-Quest/WL2ENCoy6uAmXvfjX/home
Imperial Magical Girl Quest - Where you ... don't play a magical girl. Instead, you're a high ranking officer in an empire created by them, serving to directly protect the new Empress later on.

Heavily intrigue-focused, does a beautiful job of portraying broken characters that nonetheless get shit done without gratuitous moping. Sadly dead.

https://fiction.live/stories/Legacy-of-Serenity-Imperial-Magical-Girl-Quest/eNiCmto6Jk5B298XS/home

There are other Quests I could recommend, but maybe check these out first to see whether you want any more recommendations from me.
>>
>>1655615
>Where you ... don't play a magical girl. Instead, you're a high ranking officer in an empire created by them, serving to directly protect the new Empress later on.

>Heavily intrigue-focused, does a beautiful job of portraying broken characters that nonetheless get shit done without gratuitous moping. Sadly dead.

NOOOO. I was aiming to make similar quest one day
>>
>>1655092
I've never had too much trouble but I do weird ideas and drawquests. Hell, I've gotten away with "Nanomachines, wat do?"
>>
File: 1483718069994.jpg (98KB, 650x758px) Image search: [Google]
1483718069994.jpg
98KB, 650x758px
>TFW I get the itch to come back and run a quest
>TFW I start to think up characters, settings, story arcs, abilities etc. etc.
>TFW I stop and remember how little free time I have anymore
>TFW I remember that I have no original ideas, have only done one genre of quest and have never run an original setting quest before
>TFW I realize I'm a fucking terrible QM and always will be

Why? Why do I still lurk this graveyard?
>>
>>1655794
what genre?
Talk with me dude
>>
>>1655802

Martial Arts, mainly Anime-Realm and Shounen-Shit. But it doesn't matter: The Shit-Post God-King TrickQM has decried that I am a QM that was better off never having tried at all..
>>
>>1655813
MArtial arts?
You like that genre?

Dude, what quest?
>>
>>1655813
He's moved to Akun so you don't really have to worry about him as much.
>>
>>1655821

The King of Fighters Quest that ran on /tg/ and the reboot that I tried to run here before I gave up.

Also might as well put my trip on for one last time because I sure haven't used it lately.
>>
>>1655813

Didn't I tell you to fuck off forever? What are you doing back here you faggot?
>>
>>1655644
Well this one's dead, so no one will mind. Check it out for ideas if you want.
>>
File: IMG_9877.jpg (38KB, 237x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9877.jpg
38KB, 237x600px
>>1655092
Post quest links.

>>1654724
I'll give you a rubric instead. The three P's
The pilot. The place. The picture.

The pilot (or presentation) being the first thread and where the promises are made for an interesting story. The most important and key to you netting players.

The place being the setting and where the story begins. The second most important. If the setting has nothing to offer then the players drop it.

The picture being a bigger and more interesting goal/further story which the player should strive for. The third most important. It provides the player a sense of growth and achievement and holds the player as it is a promise for more.
>>
>>1655840
Oh shit. That damn weasel.

Thought you went to the grave dude. It was a fine quest tho.

Try getting some ideas from Kenga asura. It got good fighting style
>>
>>1655845

The Pro-Wrestling Waifu Quest was trending on the front page one day, I liked it and came back for it. And Maverick Hunter Quest. I have been following that shit since the beginning.

>>1655852

Here you go:
>http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=KoF:R%20Quest

>>1655859

Yeah, that Manga is great. The author also working on an in-universe spin-off about cute girls doing cute weight-lifting is fun too.
>>
>>1655882
Wait.....THAT WAS THE SAME AUTHOR?

Ill be damned. The russian chick is stronk but not as stronk as the gyaruu
>>
>>1655882
>>1655092
That's you? Thought it was a different anon. You have the links to the failed quests?
>>
File: Uniform.png (230KB, 507x629px) Image search: [Google]
Uniform.png
230KB, 507x629px
>>1655889

Yeah. The Hime-cut gal goes the same school as pic related and the boxer chick's gym has photos of some Kengan Asura's characters.

>>1655900

>>1655092 is a different anon. And sure, here you go:

>http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=King_of_Fighters

Start with the "KOF_CYOA" threads and then hit the ones tagged like this: >http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=KoF%20Quest

The reboot I did for /qst/ has already been posted here: >>1655882
>>
>>1655920
Christ Almighty.

But the style is different...
>>
>>1655813
>But it doesn't matter: The Shit-Post God-King TrickQM has decried that I am a QM that was better off never having tried at all..
Why do you care what TrickQM thinks? What was his criticism?
>>
>>1653621
>military preferred

Are we talking like gritty We Were Soldiers, or more fantastical and whimsical?

>>1654724
>what makes a good quest?

Compelling plot, likeable characters, punchy writing and relatively speedy updates. Ability to affect the plot with clever write ins is honestly optional. Railroading never determined a quest's popularity.

Also, lots of players. It's no fun if you can't discuss anything with anybody else.
>>
>>1655926
Author, not artist.
>>
>>1655941
ah...my bad
>>
>>1655929

Basically that I never learned from all of the mistakes I made on /tg/ in the first iteration of KOF Quest (Poor pacing, Bland MC, Side characters being better and more interesting, Going SOMINUS with "Rocks Fall; Everybody Dies" shit, Too much dice-rolls, Author Self-Insert etc. etc.).

I'm also a bit more sarcastic about it now, mainly because I kind of agree with him looking back on it. That and part of me just won't let it go and try something else.
>>
>>1655968
Try making something else.

What other genre you like?
>>
>>1655986

Racing. Cars & Motorsports have been a great passion in my life and a dream of mine would be to try and translate that into a quest without going too Redline or Speed Racer. (Focus would be on the people that design the cars, build the engines, run the teams etc. etc. Because if the team isn't operating right it doesn't matter how much money you spend or how good your equipment is IMO.)

Alternatively, something in Pro Wrasslin' from the non-kayfabe side might work, just to go through all of the insane slice-of-life shit that can happen on the road and when traveling. (And again, it's the people outside of Kayfabe that can make or break the story.)

I do know that if I did a fighting game-inspired quest again it would be all OC and would probably end up being an allegory about the influence eSports has on the genre in a lot of places. (Basic idea is the MC's some random-ish mook that feels out of place wherever he competes finally getting a shot at a chance to be in a tournament after so many years like Bob's backstory in Tekken.)
>>
>>1655794
>>1655813
>>1655840
>>1655882
>>1655929
>>1655968
>>1656012
Stop using spoiler tags you fucking idiot.
>>
>>1656018

Bad habits are hard to break. Sorry.
>>
>>1656018
no
>>
>>1656022
Break your neck
>>
>>1656012
Make a fighting quest where every character is a schoolgirl.
Or a Wrestling quest where they actually fight.
>>
>>1656036

>Make a fighting quest where every character is a schoolgirl.
... Rival Schools meets Senran Kagura? Fuck it, I'm down.

>Or a Wrestling quest where they actually fight.
That could work too. Especially if you could do something like a "Heat Meter" to gauge just how pumped or

Regardless, I have no time or energy to QM at the moment and my life is constantly changing anyway, so the last thing I want to do is start something only to forget about it. All else fails, I'll do something for Halloween that I pitched a lifetime ago on ye olde /tg/ that could be fun.
>>
>>1656085

Thanks for eating my image Hiroshi.
>>
This place still exists? Wew
>>
>>1656146
Yes it still exists from the last time you posted yesterday.

At least reset your ID next time.
>>
For people who actually have played nation builder/multi-civ quests what do you think they need to stay alive? Most of them die within the first thread to player or GM inactivity.
>>
>>1656227
>multi civ game dies due to player inactivity
>how keep alive?

Gee Tim seems like you answered your own question.

Obviously, the players aren't captivated. The progress is too slow, the posts are infrequent, the world isn't interesting. So many civs I've seen rely on the players to create three quarters of the setting for them and that simply does not work. You can't require significant effort from the players. The leas they need to think, the better. It's why you lay out preset options in a standard quest.

Also, when a game requires exactly the same person to play each time, the chance of failure multiplies exponentially.

The answer is that multi civs suck your boogers out of your shitpipe, and that they're an example of something that works in a video game but requires too much to be calculated in a quest. I DARE you to make one that lasts longer than ten threads, ever. They rarely make it past two for fuck's sake. Collaborative quests in general are hard enough because life has a tendency to get in the way, multiply this problem by the amount of players, who often aren't qms themselves and have no idea what they're getting into, and badaba-bahp-bada-BAHP, so long gay quest.
>>
>>1655092
what's your quest?

You can whine all you want, but most of the dead-on-arrival QMs don't even try to figure out what they did wrong because they're afraid of saying who they are.
>>
>>1656712
I'm not whining I'm here to get ideas on how to better the quest. I'm QM of the One Piece quest. BTW I could use a vote currently to continue the quest. (Yes I realize that I'm running on a Monday morning.)
>>
>>1655852
>>1655900
>>1651000

One Piece Quest.
>>
>>1656881

>>1651000
>>
Reminder
>>
>>1656244
>so long gay quest
Actually a gay civ quest would be hilarious. Set in a Conan world, a tribe of muscular homosexuals fights to survive.

Do you do research to make them buffer? More fabulous? Intimidate or charm the straights? Do you go to war with the lesbian Amazon tribe? How do you replenish your numbers?

With a good artist, you could make something of this. Something retarded, but potentially fun.
>>
>>1656936
Reminder of what? That pic was taken before LL linked the archive tags.

Or was that the last known record?
>>
>>1656151
Gotta kick the corpse once in a while to see if it breathes. Stay salty
>>
>>1657089
Speaking of salt, is Whiskey still being autistic on akun?
>>
>>1657089
not once you assured yourself to your satisfaction that it's dead.

If you have, you don't need to come back. If you haven't, your posts are insincere, knock em off.
>>
File: IMG_9879.jpg (31KB, 253x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9879.jpg
31KB, 253x400px
>>1656881
>>1656885

Easy. "What do" pitfall as well as the way you present your story. The anon (>>1651374) was correct. It reads like a dated text-based game. The writing seems as if it was just simple.

---
You look up. There is a ceiling there. The ceiling is blue. You like blue. The room is white. You're in a bed. A door is to the right.

>what do?
---

It doesn't feel like it's a story or anything it just feels.. bland, for lack of a better word. It's unappealing to the players and you lost out on any prospective one piece fans because of it. Though since there are no quests running that fill the niche of one pice literature the setting you picked was good and drew in the entirety of your player base because of it.

Good setting bad execution.

Personally I'm adverse to anime quests but there is obviously a need for one as it shows with your quest which would of failed if it had been an original setting using the same style of writing. I'm not trying to be too harsh but it really is about your writing and presentation which killed your quest. (Only read the first few prompts.)
>>
>>1657219
You should probably read the whole thing first. The thread got hijacked by another qm
>>
>>1657232
Sounds great. Which one was the guy who wanted to know why his quest did so badly though?
>>
>>1656244
I've seen them last for 2100 posts before. It's rare but it happens. Ultimately it requires a certain brand of GM who can keep things running and players that are dedicated or a means to swap players in to replace missing ones.

What I want to know is how to accomplish at least the later. How do we make a builder that can do that? Do we need to make it easier to start out to encourage people to jump in our do we need to make it so nations can be crewed by multiple people? Is a more interesting setting really a solution to what sounds line mechanical problems? Really this is more game development than quests.
>>
>>1657219
>>1657232
>>1657260

Sorry I forgot to mention that. I'm the QM who did the hijacking. Please continue with the brutal honesty, I want to get better.

My portion of QM starts with this post:

>>1653778
>>
>>1657219
>(Only read the first few prompts.)
It's a single thread that's not even 100 posts long, you lazy fuck
>>
>>1657323
Don't have to look at garbage for very long to know it's garbage or any qm trying to salvage it is bad or hasn't read enough quests to pull it off right.
Especially when the thread itself is just a garbage can. Take a look, just open the bag. There it is. It's fucking garbage. Surprise!

Ten posts later. Look back in the bag. Is it still garbage? Yup.

Ffs why bother giving minimal writing advice to concerned flakes they don't last they don't do anything with that knowledge except learn that qming isn't what to do if you want to be a better writer it's for half baked writers to put out like sleazy gfs in a hopefully more than zed reaction environment and maybe not suck if they're more cooked than the majority. It's not like more than one or maybe two thread hijackers on qst have turned out better results than the corpse they sprung from.

>>1657313
And you. YOOOOOOOOU.

Let's start with your posts are pretty short and they have back and forth dialogue between characters without linebreaks which are a basic formatting tool to prevent sudden eye hemorrhages. No grasp of the basics are evident.

Also nonexistent scheduling. You say tomorrow morning for the next thread, and that's beyond vague. Time and format. Early morning threads being a pain in the ass aside, at least specify your run time relative to some geological scale from which people can interpret when you next plan to run. If they're interested, and available, that's the minimum to get them to be there. Rather than insisting your players refresh with a degree of regularity in the time range you might be doing your thing.

And that's it. There's not enough of anything else with substance from which to build constructive criticism. Character introductions were quick, intentions easy to grasp, dice are simple, and all with no compelling differences from any other one and done bargain bin idea doomed to not even a memory.

Back to fucking drinking until another chalky skeletor with ass cancer is a good enough QM to give a shit about and then vanishes like the rest.
>>
File: Space Marine 3.jpg (70KB, 354x495px) Image search: [Google]
Space Marine 3.jpg
70KB, 354x495px
Chapter Master Quest is currently running

>>1657409
>>1657409
>>1657409

Help command a Chapter of the Emperor's finest in the setting of Sector Deus, an original, extensively fluffed 40k sector, and protect the masses from mankind's enemies.
One of the oldest quests still running, complete with the largest quest wiki there is that ensures any new player can get up to speed without having to read the large archives, and an IRC where you can get quick answers to any question.
>>
>>1657323
>>1657398
Thanks anon. Top notch stuff you said there.

And to expand on the other anon's complaint. If the writing is similar with the first post and carries the same tone it is likely to retain the same quality. If a QM is too lazy to put in effort for their first post then I will put the same effort in reviewing their endeavors. Besides humans are creatures of patterns and tend to do the same thing they normally do. You can almost see the entirety of a QM's ability within the first three prompts. If not then they are either lack the ability or the time. Usually it falls under ability.

>>1657313
To answer your original question. Make your own quest if you want people to read your posts and not get lost at what the original op started with. Probably best if you started fresh instead of going off of what you've already written. The player base is there, just write.
>>
>>1657398
I feel like you have a bigger problem here and are using my request as a soapbox. That being said, thanks for the critique. Although harsh, I can at least try and fix my problem areas.
>>
>>1657426
Make my own quest. Sounds simple enough. Thanks for the suggestion
>>
>>1657398
>>1657426
Can you guys give me examples of good quests I can read and see what a quest done right looks like?
>>
>>1657547
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=Sleeping%20Gods%20Quest
>>
>>1657547
Look around for what you want. Each QM has their strengths and weaknesses.
>>
>>1657398
Each of the updates are a paragraph long. This is literally toddler level difficulty to get through and shouldn't have been a problem to begin with.
Why don't you make an example of yourself in put in some effort instead of being an apathetic, lazy piece of shit? How are you possible using predictability as an excuse when it takes almost no time to read the rest of the thread?
Let me give a critique, because apparently you can't give one without typing like an aggressive, long-winded, """zany""" asshole.

Starting with the old OP, the picture and title are both engaging, doing little to differentiate the quest from the countless other fanfics.

Sentence structures are too similar; variety makes for an interesting read. Use appositives, noun phrases, anything to break up the boring old “noun, verb, direct object.” There’s also minor grammar mistakes, such as comma splicing and run ons, but nothing’s too egregious.

Exclusive write-in prompts are also difficult to write. Not only do they require a ton of information to fill the scene, you also need a solid, invested player base that would put up with you. Speaking of information, the tiny updates give practically nothing. The quest starts off with nothing happening and little real interaction. There's nothing engaging or captivating about this, so put some god damn meat on these bones.

>["Nah, I'll stay here. Have fun. Don't be late for dinner again."]
I know people want to give choices, but this is a mistake. Do not put out options you are not willing to write, especially since it's obvious a One Piss quest wouldn't be about staying home. The solution to this is to take it out or just keep writing.

Update time is quick, but inconsistent. Even though OP posts fast, there's absolutely nothing every update, the character per minute count being abysmal.

What’s good about it: The ability to put down coherent sentences. Almost proper sentences too, but that’s a dream for another day.

Major problem: Not enough thought was put into it. OP wasn’t invested, so neither should you be.
>>
>>1657563
Alright, time for the new OP.

Why the fuck would you hijack this? You should've just made a new thread.

The grammar is messy, and the structure of your sentences are almost as basic as the previous OP's. As far as I know, there isn't a tax on commas, so feel free to use them. Speaking of grammar, a new paragraph must be made every time you switch speakers when writing dialogue. Not only would this break up your paragraphs and make it look all nice and pretty, it’ll puff it up to make it look like you typed more.

You also seem to like repeating words. A lot.
>You quickly grab for the mysterious girls bag but she moves the bag faster than you can grab. In a taunting fashion, she baits you more and more by offering the bag and then moving it before you can grab it.

Valentine's appearance needs to be described. An entire exchange and update was completed, and at the end of it, all we know was that she probably doesn't have a dick. Pictures can't replace words completely. Same problem with the MC, but it's even worse. You used a picture of a hunky, serious guy and went on to write him as if he was an easygoing 13-year-old.

Actually, nothing's really described, and scenes are barely set up. I didn't know there was a bait and tackle store until the MC was sent flying through it. When you change locations, take a moment of your time to describe the new scenery. Readers can't be placed into the scene if you give them nothing to work with.

This is a really recent post, but you have tonal problems.
>The paddle slaps her across the face and sends her spiraling into a large tree opposite the store. Springing back up to your feet, you twirl your trident overhead and slash down upon the pirates shoulder. The blade sinks in snapping a bone and begins to spray blood all over
Cartoonish slapstick followed by brutal gore, classic.

Updates are frequent, but incredibly short. It’s the same problem as the previous OP—it’s as if you spent half the time shitposting elsewhere instead of typing. Timing’s also inconsistent, and you barely try to make it easier for your players. Knowing that it’s ridiculously easy to drop a quest, you should be doing your damn hardest to make participation a simple, thoughtless thing to do.

What’s good about it: You started it off with something interesting, drawing readers into your world.

Major problem: Amateur in every sense of the word. You only care to put down what you enjoy, leading to an overwhelmingly bare-boned piece of writing.
>>
>>1657566
I’m glad we have these shitters in the /qtg/ who chooses to commit the same crimes as those they despise. Y’know, because LUL if they’re doing it, it’s okay for us to do it, right? Let’s be honest here, you probably don’t give a flying fuck about helping the QM improve. You just want to slam their piece. After all, you can’t even take the time to read 15 fucking posts, but you can take the time to shit out this disgusting, pathetic excuse of a critique where you pretend to be an almighty reader who’s virtuous enough to give up a precious fraction of their time to read their post.

Even after they asked for help, you don’t even try.

The fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>1657528
>>1657531
The bigger problem is advice is oft wasted because whether someone is able to QM consistently or QM an entertaining quest is decided before they receive constructive help and long before they've even begun their first thread, which all all happens before the idea gets to player's eyes ofc. Like, some experience with writing, or some experience with gming, or reading other quests in archives, and so forth. These aren't things that other people can do for new QMs. And it really depends on what you want to go for, or what you expect to make entertaining with your quest, with whatever themes, game mechanics, characters, or simple dice and consequences that you'll put together to give players meaning in having interacted with your idea. And the timescale of your pacing. And other little things like being reliable with your twitter announcements which helps build trust, etc.

>>1657547
Examples of mistakes are things I remember most. However, you may consider the following:

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Hive%20Queen%20Quest
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=banished
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Uraemrys
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Hyperdimension%20Dwarf%20Fortress%20Quest
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Ogre%20Civilization%20Quest
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Homeless%20Mutant%20Quest
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive.html?tags=Lamplighter%20Quest
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?searchall=Shadow+Quest+

As an anon said before each of their strengths and weaknesses.

You can search by gold but really just read whatever catches your attention and seems like something you can draw or learn from. Most things that get popular have some element to scrape for usefulness.
>>
>>1657563
Starting with the old OP, the picture and title are both unengaging*
Probably should've proofread this first
>>
>>1657569
It's not really worth putting effort into critiquing something that's totally horrible. Why would you spend more time on it and put in more work than the person who wrote it? Just grade it a D+ and move on.
>>
>>1657566
I run another quest and I want to say thanks for typing this up. It has helped me realize some flaws that I just glossed over before.
>>
>>1657587
You're right, this doesn't deserve a critique. The QM's should've read a quest before before actually running one. But now that they agreed to help, they should've at least seen all the way through it, instead of, you know, whining and moaning as they fail to get through what's basically fucking nothing.

But no, it turns out readers bitch as much as QMs.
>>
>>1657560
>>1657561
>>1657566
>>1657576

I appreciate your suggestions and critiques. I'm going to quit the current One Piece Quest and try my hand at an original quest with preparation and research. Thanks again
>>
>>1657569
Yes these responses are brutal but I am getting help.
>>
>>1657569
I did read through it before posting those bits. It's summation isn't that different in essence, and I honestly believe anyone who genuinely wants to QM is going to commit to these things beyond the kind of advice they may receive here.
Like reading the pastebins and finding the archives through those. Or learning about board specific autisms firsthand. My experience tells me it's those willing to make the cumulative small efforts will improve, since there are only a few particular things to concentrate on, but many of the QMs who pass by for advice won't adjust to that effort once it's protracted over a longer period of time.

It's low effort garbage, and that's exactly what it was supposed to be, because it's not a critique from someone pretending to be an almighty virtuous reader. Salty shitposting can get across the main points good enough. The rest is up to somebody else's level of effort and dedication, which minute pieces of suggestions over an extremely small body of example work can't and won't make up for.

>>1657624
One thing that applies no matter what, is that QMing is supposed to be fun.
I mention this because it hasn't been mentioned thus far and all of it may be giving a false impression of seriousness.

A QM should QM to entertain themselves too, because the best QMs have fun with what they're doing and it shows in how players have fun with their quest. Have an idea that will be fun for you, and interactive to you, even with few players. The memorable quests build from that kind of interaction, and it's very important that your idea entertains you.
>>
>>1657645
Noted
>>
>>1657645
>It's summation isn't that different in essence
lol

Definitely agree with how QMing is meant to be fun. In the end, it's the only thing that really matters.

>>1657624
If you really want to run a fanfic quest, run a fanfic quest. There's no shame.

>>1657591
No problem.
>>
>>1657662
I think its been made quite clear that fanfic quests are not very welcome here
>>
>>1657680
Hah.

Yeah let's just ignore those DBZ quests that get 500+ post threads.

Fanfic is fine. It's easier yes, but as long as you don't do [Self insert stuck into main canon with the main cast so you can fuck your favorite waifu from the anime/show] then you're fine at least in my eyes.
>>
>>1657569
why are you linking yourself when saying this?

>>1657680
The biggest quests are still fanfic quests, regardless of platform.

>>1657566
noted tonal problems, but it also shows you have a grasp of how to depict combat, you just need to commit to a style. Assuming One Piece, probably closer to cartoonish slapstick.
>>
>>1657680
Speaking as one who runs a fairly successful fanfic quest, they ARE welcome, but they are not prestigious. You will likely never get rave review and acclaim as "one of the good quests". Though, I may just be shit.

Stephen King may not go down in history was one of the greatest writers ever, but a lot of people read his shit and get spookt.
>>
Starting part two of Knights Order Quest, am active weeknights from 7pm-1am EST
>>1657751
>>
File: grave.jpg (2MB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
grave.jpg
2MB, 1600x1067px
Rogue Psyker is officially kill.

>>1657829
>I'm killing this quest. Sorry for y'all that actually enjoyed it - but I dug myself into a corner plotwise, characterwise etc.

>Anyways, I'll probably still do quests, if it strikes my fancy, and I'll use this failure as a lesson for future quests.

>Mortician, please be mild on me on Friday.
>>
>>1657115
Of course he is. Once a shitposter, always a shitposter. Apparently he's starting a new quest soon. Some "original dark fantasy". Probably gonna bail on that too after getting his fill of salt.
>>
>>1657838
>forced female character

It was shit
>>
>>1657911
That's not indicative of quality shitposter.

It does have it's own set of pitfalls though.
>>
>>1657917
>>1657911
I had avoided picking a gender due to just that - but I had to use a pronoun eventually and accidentally wrote she. So I rolled with it.

Eitherway, lesson's learned.
>>
File: apotheosis.jpg (138KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
apotheosis.jpg
138KB, 1024x768px
Apotheosis

A hopeless one shot.
>>
>>1657922
>I had to use a pronoun eventually
Irue would like a word with you.
>>
>>1657922

Further was your nonsense about all the laspistols being destroyed but there was still a knife laying around. I had assumed your quest would be heavily railroaded in any case and called it quits once I saw female char.
>>
File: American Flag.jpg (40KB, 590x300px) Image search: [Google]
American Flag.jpg
40KB, 590x300px
American Arcana is back up and running at the moment. Runs Sunday, Monday, Tuesday from 9 PM Central US.
>>1657915
>>
>>1657928
>one shot.

ya nah I'm not investing anything in a one shot, why would I?
>>
>>1657934
... I just assumed that anything with electronics of any kind would be pretty fried by bio lightning.

In retrospect, I should've stressed the bio lightning part a bit more to emphasize that point.
>>
>>1657940
Pretty sure Bolters have electronics in them too
>>
>>1657947
Good point. Essentially everything in 40k has electronics in it now when I think about it, due to the machine spirit and all that.
>>
>>1657954
even a lot of melee weapons have electronics. Chainswords and barrier hammers don't run on gore.
>>
>>1657966
Yeah, but both of them has mechanisms.

The combat knife doesn't.
>>
File: THe greatest 2.png (9KB, 674x97px) Image search: [Google]
THe greatest 2.png
9KB, 674x97px
The greatest hero
>>
>>1657932
I still don't understand why OP started pretending that Irue gender is some great unknown.
>>
>>1658795
It's a clue, anon. A clue to things.
I even think I have pieced together which things exactly, but I still fear my answer is too simple.
>>
File: empire-attack.jpg (74KB, 612x380px) Image search: [Google]
empire-attack.jpg
74KB, 612x380px
>>1659467
>>1659467
>>1659467

Dark Empire Quest continues!
>>
>>1650943
>>1650943
>>1650943
Yet another jojo's bizarre adventure quest session is happening right now, on thread number two so maybe the jojo /qst/ curse might be broken
>>
File: 1498668951727.jpg (57KB, 800x574px) Image search: [Google]
1498668951727.jpg
57KB, 800x574px
Can anybody explain in simple terms what is railroading since a lot of people use the term quite freely. Bonus points for an example
>>
>>1659507
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Railroading
>>
>>1659507
Restricting actions to very few options so players can only do what you want them to. Example are the old on rail shooters like typing of the dead.
>>
>>1659507
When your choices don't matter. There's one track and you're following it. Since quests are meant to be interactive fiction, it's unpopular to say the least.
>>
File: Old Fairy Tales.jpg (184KB, 500x676px) Image search: [Google]
Old Fairy Tales.jpg
184KB, 500x676px
>>1659621
Welp.
American Arcana has returned at
>>1655161
>>
Starcaller Quest will be running this coming Thursday. If being a space trucker and part-time hero interests you, check it out!
>>
So what're some of the more readable Quest on akun?
>>
>>1660037
https://fiction.live/stories/Mastering-Magic/i8sL9WD5pf6pWNPvW/Ch-1/EdT7XZwqvvG9AQDfA
>>
>>1660062
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Yuri
>>
>>1660037
Modern Satyr Quest
>>
OMG, Valen Quest has returned! Yayifications!
Now if only NBS and Lamplighter did the same...
>>
Gonna be starting a new quest this Friday, about 8PM GMT. Thought I'd post it here as well as twitter so maybe people will actually see.
>>
so basically you can't keep a quest alive without committing to a twitter. Not for me.
>>
>>1660742
Actually, you can. It's just very hard.
But, for example, the currently running Funtron Adventures makes do without Twitter.
>>
>>1660746
just through sheer quality alone or is there a trick to it?
>>
>>1660779
You have to give a very specific time at the end of every run and keep too it.
>>
>>1660779
Mostly through not running away in tears when they only have a single voter I think.
>>
Are players smart enough to decrypt codes?
>>
>>1660821
Are QMs smart enough to make decrypting codes enjoyable in quest form?
>>
>>1660739
While I'm ecstatic to finally see someone actually announce that they're going to start a quest ahead of time, you really need to come up with some kind of hook that makes me want to put that date in my calendar.

Got any?
>>
File: fleksnek.png (13KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
fleksnek.png
13KB, 400x400px
>>1660712
Getting your hopes up will only hurt you, anon.
>>
>>1660037
https://fiction.live/stories/Symbiote-Quest-2-0/nLFhaigrSfd8Kdqfr/home
>>
>>1660739
>>1660871
This, you gotta give us something more to go on than just "I'm running a new quest." especially seeing as you're not exactly a renowned QM. I bothered to look up your previous quest and well, it didn't exactly blow my socks off, especially considering it fell apart after just 4 threads, and even if it did you can't expect most anons to do so.

So sell your idea to us, convince us why we should care or be excited that you are making a new quest this weekend.
>>
>>1643492
Damn I miss Gap Elf.
>>
>>1661250
Thigh Gap Elf?

I'm not familiar with this quest . . .
>>
Can I also add:

If you're going to start a quest but not run more than 1 day . . . don't. Fucking finish what you start. Or at LEAST continue it. Abandoning a quest after 2 posts, why.
>>
>>1661710
yes pls
>>
File: FLORENCE_CHSHIRT_MCOACAP.jpg (208KB, 780x1300px) Image search: [Google]
FLORENCE_CHSHIRT_MCOACAP.jpg
208KB, 780x1300px
>>1660712
Okay then, Nerv Bridge Simulator will be live this Sunday at 14:30 (UTC-5:00)

Supposedly there's going to be fanservice of some sort, no one really knows.
>>
>>1662094
what the fuck
>>
>>1662094
Am I in coma and hallucinating?
>>
>>1662730
We do it all for your smile, anon. It must be protected.
>>
>>1662730
You have to wake up, anon. The doctors say it's your last chance..
>>
File: crashland.jpg (85KB, 680x289px) Image search: [Google]
crashland.jpg
85KB, 680x289px
Okay.

Would you rather play as a crashlanded AI setting up a base on a foreign, alien planet, or play as the sole surviving crew member of a damaged colony vessel crashlanded on a foreign, alien planet, tasked with setting up and protecting a functional colony?

>AI: everything is written in PowerShell, essentially
>Crewmember: a mix of normal narrative writing and PowerShell
>>
>>1663066
AI
>>
>>1663066
Crewmember.
>>
>>1663066
Crew member
>>
>>1663066
>written in PowerShell

Will this make your quest more fun?
>>
>>1663100
Perhaps, perhaps not. All about theme and style of writing.

Writing it in 'PowerShell', not literally, will make it a more cold style of writing, with any eventual combat being illustrated in cold brutal efficiency instead of more personal scuffles.

I've no idea if it's better in any way, nor do I know if it'll make it worse.

That's why I'm partial to the AI bit, so it can be tested.
>>
>>1663101
Are you aware of the 6 or so AI quests that utterly crashed and burned in the last few weeks alone?
>>
>>1663108
Nope - not at all.

That's certainly helpful.
>>
>>1663109
None reached the second thread.

One common mistake was that they start with being coy abot who exactly the MC is and what their goals are and have the players waste time pulling that info from the QM piecemeal.
Or put a huge, steaming and irrelevant to the current situation loredump into the opening posts.

And for the love of god don't do a boot up sequence at the start that has been like a kiss of death. At least it caused me to skip the thread. Only having look out of morbid curiosity mich later.
>>
>>1663114
None of them were archived, I suppose?
>>
>>1663117
I had a quick look on suptg aaand nope. Can't help you with other archiving site since I don't use any of those.
>>
>>1663125
Neither do I. Fuck.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up.

Loredumps are stupid for AI quests seeing as they're supposed to be effective and incredibly pragmatic.

Eitherway, I'll go for the crewmember route.
>>
>>1663125

Also, is having a system diagnostic run in the beginning a bad idea? The one I've got written up now gives brief information about the mission, the objective and MC indirectly, not in a huge infodump.

It didn't take much time to write up so I can just change it if its something terribly overdone and horribly easy to fuck up.

>>
>>1663143
I was referring to fake boot up and diagnostic sequences like in Nier Automata.
Like just listing routines, subsystems and stuff and if they're working/damaged/gone completely.
>>
>>1663108
There will never be an AI as adorable as Azure What Dahl.
>>
>>1663143
don't do it as your OP. Your text space on the catalog is valuable, and telling people that you know what code looks like is not enough of a hook.
>>
>>1662094
This looks fucking awesome, but I'm gonna need some kind of primer to catch up in time . . . Or do I just have to read the entire archive?
>>
File: 1492988521778.jpg (113KB, 480x432px) Image search: [Google]
1492988521778.jpg
113KB, 480x432px
Dark Empire Continues in 30 minutes.The Battle of Aradia is about to begin.
>>
File: tumblr_n3jm7rRz0G1skasmxo1_500.gif (159KB, 500x416px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3jm7rRz0G1skasmxo1_500.gif
159KB, 500x416px
>>1663722
>>1663722
>>1663722

Dark Empire Quest

All I see is darkness . . .
>>
File: 1486878932583.gif (260KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1486878932583.gif
260KB, 267x200px
Starcaller Quest is up. Voting window is open for the next hour or so while I get dinner.
>>1663743
>>1663743
>>1663743

>Tfw I thought I had mandatory overtime today but my boss messed up and I got to leave early
>>
The Great War Quest is back in business
>>1663275

>>1663275
>>1663275
>>
>>1665028
Fuck that's annoying tonread. I'm tired as shit though. if I can update tomorrow I will
>>
>>1660871
>>1661055
You raise very good points anons, but I'm already cancer and far busier than I'd like to be. That being said, if I don't start it now then I know I won't start it at all.

Anyway, Fleets of God Quest will be about a young AI trying to find their place in the universe and is heavily inspired by Stars Without Number.
Also I'll be starting it in just over an hour or so. 20:00 GMT.
>>
>>1666262
I probably should have just waited until I actually started, but quest is go!
>>1666347
>>
When running a quest based on an established IP (think shonen anime) how important is getting the world 1:1 with the show? How much creative leeway is fair?
>>
>>1666397
I think that's really a case by case thing. Like, I think you should ask your players just how fast and loose you can play around with the canon. Either that, or let them know from the start that things won't be 1:1. Seeing how the main reason to play a quest in an established setting is because you're fond of said setting, accuracy is important. So they'll let you know how much they're willing to let you bend the universe.
>>
>>1666397
If you're wanting to run a quest in a specific setting, then a certain level of accuracy is pretty important (at least for me), but on the other hand, it's possible to change or add stuff to an established setting to make it more fun to run/play in.
>>
>>1666397
I'm doing a star wars quest with fucky canon. Players dont seem to mind, I try to be forward about the fact that it may be fucky, and use that to toss in fresh twists and avoid meta plotting.

To that end, you should be knowledgable of the canon i think. Dont use ignorance as a reason to change things.
Thread posts: 438
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.