[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BaktriaQuest #1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 12

File: walls of bactria.jpg (62KB, 691x518px) Image search: [Google]
walls of bactria.jpg
62KB, 691x518px
The year is somewhere around 230BC, and the glorious empire of Megas Alexandros is long dead, rotten and decomposed like the body of the great conqueror himself. Men who had once sworn undying loyalty have taken the opportunity to make sweeping claims to authority in his stead, of course meeting opposition from those who would also be king. Petty rulers have sprouted up in all corners, and war ravages half the known world.

The place is the thriving Greek kingdom of Baktria, located in modern-day Afghanistan, on the banks of the river Oxus. It is an ancient place, with ancient peoples, ruled by Greeks who were sent there by force or by the promise of riches beyond their wildest dreams. For some, those promises came true. The native Bactrians have been Hellenized over the many years, but native Greeks, as always, look upon others with suspicion.

Baktria is sandwiched between the massive and powerful Mauryan Empire to the East, in darkest India, the hordes of the great steppes of the Saka and Yuezhi to the North, and the Seleucid Empire to the West, the most powerful of Alexander's successors. They are ruled by a haughty and cruel house that has created a cult around their founder, Seleucus Nikator, who is worshipped as a god.

The land is culturally and religiously mixed, with Greek, Persian, and Indian languages, gods, and ways of warfare all blending to form something not found anywhere else in the world.

Wake up, son of Baktria. Your adventure begins.

You find yourself in a small hut made of clay and wood, with the sun streaming through a window set a little too close to the ceiling.

There seems to be a ruckus outside, as some men are shouting and the sound of horses grows in the street. Before you leave to find out what's going on, you should make sure you are ready to begin.

What is your name?
>>
>>1626776
Jacob Endros
>>
>>1626776
Soterios
>>
>>1626776
Agathon

Also holy shit an actual historical quest? Looking forward to it QM
>>
>>1626828
>>1626831
>>1626837
Excellent options, we need a tiebreaker!

Also, yes, this is an historical quest that will get some divine/esoteric shenanigans thrown in for good measure. I want to give the players room to really push the boundaries of the setting as the quest develops.
>>
>>1626776
Agathon
>>
>>1626776
>Agathon
>>
Ah yes, you remember now. It is Agathon! You seem to have had a bit too much to drink last night, if the
wine-stained mess in your room has anything to do with it. You pull on your white cloth tunic and your brown
sandals, stretching tiredly. Taking your trusty leather sling and a few stones from the rack by the door, you
seem to be ready to go. That damned racket isn't getting any softer.

A big crowd of people is streaming down the road to the central square, where a man has climbed atop the
fountain in the midst of the shouting throng. You can barely hear what he is shouting to them above the roar of
the crowd. Suddenly, hoofbeats approach, and a well-built man with a reddish-brown curly beard pulls his
mount to a halt in front of you. It's your old friend Antimakos, captain of the local militia and a close friend of
your late father. “Advancus! Where have you been, boy? Haven't you heard the news? Baktria is free! Our king
Diodotus just declared war on King Antiochus for the freedom of all of Greek Baktria!”

[ ] What do you mean “free”? This is terrible!
[ ]How strong are the armies of our enemy, friend?
[ ] What will freedom cost us? Tell me, so that I will know whether to
work to protect my family by moving them to a safer city.
[ ] Genuflect
>>
>>1627096
Forgot my trip reee. Sorry for the delay, I had to get something from the store but I can't post from the mobile network.
>>
>>1627096
>[ ]How strong are the armies of our enemy, friend?
>>
>>1627096
>>
>>1627096
>[x]How strong are the armies of our enemy, friend?
We gotta ask the real important questions here.
>>
>>1627096
>>
>>1627096
>Genuflect

Praise almighty Zeus!
>>
File: Greco-BactrianKingdomMap.jpg (464KB, 1920x1311px) Image search: [Google]
Greco-BactrianKingdomMap.jpg
464KB, 1920x1311px
>>1627179
>>1627175
>>1627133
>>1627114

You look up at Antimakos with a look of shock. “We have gone to war with the Seleucids then?!” you shout above the din. “You should know as well as I that this is utter madness! Can our king possibly hope to defeat Antiochus in battle? How strong are the armies of our enemy, friend?” Your thoughts turn to your family, your wife and child visiting your mother in Arachosia, across the southern mountains.

Antimakos spits on the ground. “Pah! Antiochus the Beautiful they call him. A weak Syriac with hardly a Greek bone in his body, what possible harm could he do us here, in our far-off lands? Many months of hard marching lie between Babylon and Baktra.”

You recall your father, having met his end on the battlefield among the Selecuid ranks. The tales he told of the ferocity of the Seleucid phalangites did not inspire the same sort of confidence that Antimakos had. “Antimakos, old friend, do the people of Baktria fall in with the king?” He nodded. “Aye, that they do! The rumors are that all the cities as far as the Caspian support our freedom!”

> [ ] How do Sogdia and Parthia stand at our strike for independence? Will they join us in union, to form a new land?
> [ ] This is senseless and pointless. I fear the king knows not what he is taking on. How can we dissuade him?
> [ ] The strong do what they can while the weak do what they must. Are we strong enough to secure our independence from the Seleucids?
>>
File: Seleucid-Empire_200bc.jpg (748KB, 1244x716px) Image search: [Google]
Seleucid-Empire_200bc.jpg
748KB, 1244x716px
>>1627206
For comparison, the Seleucids' current holdings. Their frontline with the Greek Egyptians--the Ptolemaios--is fluid and danger-ridden, and their easternmost holdings are quite weak and far-flung as of late.
>>
>>1627206
> [ ] How do Sogdia and Parthia stand at our strike for independence? Will they join us in union, to form a new land?
>>
>>1627206
>> [ ] How do Sogdia and Parthia stand at our strike for independence? Will they join us in union, to form a new land?
>>
>>1627206
>The strong do what they can
>>
File: 1498349985393.jpg (194KB, 1387x1043px) Image search: [Google]
1498349985393.jpg
194KB, 1387x1043px
>>1627232
>>1627217

“And what of the Sogdian nomads, the Saka, Yuezhi and Scythians? Will they kindly wait for us honest Greeks to wage our little war before sweeping into our lands while our backs are turned? The Parthians will be wondering which way to turn for allegiance. Will our coffers keep them assuaged while still funding the coming conflict?”

Antimakos looked a little taken aback. It is clear that the excitement got the better of him. Even one as experienced as he was prone to bouts of hot-blooded emotion. “Aye, boy, you have a good head on your shoulders. Your father would be proud.

Right now, it appears that the nomads are taking action beyond what our military minds can detect. There have been no raids for the past few months, and all logic says that something big is coming. Will we have time to prepare? I cannot say. If only we could see beyond the sea of grass!

We must pray to the gods that their intentions match ours, but whatever the horse lords mean to do, the die is cast, and Diodotus means to fortify the frontiers against the Seleucids, not the nomads."

This is in danger of turning into something ugly. There are many who would swear allegiance to Antiochus yet in the city. The crowd is being whipped up into a fervor by the man on the fountain. Antimakos sighs. "Loyalists are not being treated with respect, so the news goes.”
>>
>>1627315
You are in your early thirties, and work as a member of the town militia alongside Antimakos. After your child was born, you were given more time to be with your family, as the city was thought to be well defended. You turned your attention to learning and staying abreast of politics among the Diadochi (or successor states).

You are strong and athletic, and could hold your own in a fight, though you have only heard of true pitched warfare from stories told to you by your father and the older members of the militia.
>>
>>1627326
>>1627315
> [ ] Confront the man on the fountain
> [ ] Stand down and leave the scene
> [ ] Something else
>>
>>1627326
>> [ ] Stand down and leave the scene
>>
>>1627348
>[ ] Stand down and leave the scene
>>
File: bactrian warriors.jpg (103KB, 710x971px) Image search: [Google]
bactrian warriors.jpg
103KB, 710x971px
>>1627371
>>1627519
“That fool, he'll start a riot this day. Many Bactrians will die!” you say, a dark expression on your face. Antimakos cautions you. “Careful what you say, boy. This crowd is hungry for blood.” You realize his words are true enough, and decide that discretion is the better part of valor in this case. You cannot risk your own life without reason.

Which reminds you: you have some equipment in your possession as a member of the local militia. You have a sling tied to your belt at the moment. You have a kopis (short sword), thureos (long shield), helm, linothorax (body armor), and javelins back at the militia armory, given to you on loan when you are called out for duty.

You move past the fountain with Antimakos, looking sidelong at the crowd. Oh, wonderful. It's Patrocleon, the local rabblerouser. He's in charge of the city coffers, but amuses himself by participating in rhetoric when he's not engrossed in bureaucracy. You hear a snippet of his speech: “--and they who would whisper in dark corners of loyalty to a man who believes he is descended from a god...are they to be considered true, upstanding men of Baktria, like you and I? Are they to be treated as true Greeks, who kowtow to a Syrian, a distant ruler, primped and posh in decadence? Shall we yet suffer their existence in our free state?”

You decide to do nothing, and soon leave the square, entering the heart of the city, where the council sits. Baktra is the capital city of the kingdom, and as such is quite large compared with many of the surrounding cities. Other large urban centers exist, but Baktra is by far the largest. You have heard some compare it to Athens, though you have never been there yourself. From what you imagine, it may not be quite as impressive, but as the government buildings come into view, you feel a bit of pride in your city. Marble columns stretch upwards to form an imposing edifice, with the words ΒΑΚΤΡΙΑ engraved on the arched entryway. Some aged men, bearded and in togas, are speaking to armed militiamen, who leave in the direction of the square.

SAVE POINT

It seems like there will be some kind of trouble afoot back in that direction, but it need not be your concern. Will you:
> [ ] Go back to the square to help the guards
> [ ] Go back to the square to help Patrocleon
> [ ] Go to the armory to ask for your equipment
> [ ] Go speak to the city council
> [ ] Leave to see your wife and son in Arachosia
> [ ] Go consult the god of the local temple...the patron deity of which escapes you...
> [ ] Something else
>>
>>1627681
>> [ ] Go back to the square to help the guards
>>
>>1627681
>>
>>1627681
>> [ ] Go consult the god of the local temple...the patron deity of which escapes you.

Let's get some divine guidance.
>>
>>1627681
>>
>>1627885
After this definitely, then say by to the family and off to war we go!
>>
>>1627891

Assuming we don't get stomped by what's about to happen, yes.
>>
>>1627681
I mean it would be great to have our equipment with us if there's trouble.

If that's feasable, get it and then return swiftly, if not, I will just support the majority and say go back to the square.

Also, I vote for patron deity Demeter
>>
File: riot.jpg (1MB, 2061x1419px) Image search: [Google]
riot.jpg
1MB, 2061x1419px
>>1629134
>>1627891
>>1627885
>>1627872
>>1627848
>>1627681
You look at Antimakos, then back at the militiamen moving out, shields and spears at the ready. You bend down, picking up a few stones from the street and putting them in a pouch on your belt. Your friend grins. “Looking for trouble, are we?” he asks, jokingly. He seems nervous. “We both know that I’m not the one seeking trouble here.” You start to walk back to the square outside your house, quickening your pace to catch up to the guards. Antimakos follows you. “If you’re intending to go against Patrocleon and a bloodthirsty crowd, you’ll need some help. Most likely to pull your lifeless body away from the mob.” Despite his cynicism, you see his own sling is unstrung from his belt.

When you arrive at the fountain, you see the militia pulled up against one wall in formation, shield-to-shield, waiting for the pot to boil over--a moment which could happen at any minute. Windows and doors throughout the square are shut tightly out of fear of the raging crowd, which had seized makeshift weapons out of tools and farming implements and blocks of wood. They were roaring out incendiary slogans, mostly “Death to traitors!” Above it all stood Patrocleon, red-faced and full of pride.

Handling this one could be tricky--a bloodbath seems imminent. Do you:
> [ ] Personally call out Patrocleon
> [ ] Sling a stone at him
> [ ] Provoke the guards
> [ ] Change your mind
> [ ] Something else
>>
>>1629357
>Personally call out Patrocleon
Defeat him in oratory!
If it doesn't work, accuse him of embezzlement and turn the crowd on him.
>>
>>1629357
>[X] Personally call out Patrocleon

"Are you an animal or are you Greek? Do you stand atop a blind rabble as Xerxes did atop the Persians, or are you a free man to yourself?
If you are a Greek and man of the free arts, speak your part, don't run against fellow Greeks as a hungry wolf against its peers!"
>>
File: Spiegel_Rhetoric_1555.gif (185KB, 470x579px) Image search: [Google]
Spiegel_Rhetoric_1555.gif
185KB, 470x579px
>>1629364
>>1629361
>[X] Personally call out Patrocleon

“And I suppose you'll be the one to wield the executioner's blade then?” you shout up at him. The crowd falls silent and all eyes turn to you. Antimakos looks pale. "Are you an animal or are you Greek? Do you stand atop a blind rabble as Xerxes did atop the Persians, or are you a free man to yourself? If you are a Greek and man of the free arts, speak your part, don't run against fellow Greeks as a hungry wolf against its peers!"

He sneers at you, full of contempt, an older man, skinny and bearded, but with a cunning fire in his eyes. “Ah, Agathon, so good of you to join us! Would you care to explain to these good citizens why they should not rid their homes of sympathizers to the emperor, so many months of marching away, who seeks to dominate us for his own personal profit?”

How do you respond?
> [ ] "Because we've laws, you fool, laws governing blood-debt! Have none of you seen the Oresteia? Do you want the harpies to tear you to shreds, for the Gods to take vengeance on you?..."
> [ ] "Supporters can be won to our banner more easily, if we are shown to be worthy! Supporters can be swayed, but an enemy fearing for safety with no way to turn will only fight like a cornered dog..."
> [ ] "I cannot believe you are the man we allow to manage our taxes, if you have such half-formed thoughts in your head as to incite a purge..."
>>
>>1629386
>> [ ] "Supporters can be won to our banner more easily, if we are shown to be worthy! Supporters can be swayed, but an enemy fearing for safety with no way to turn will only fight like a cornered dog..."
>>
>>1629386
[[Hey guys, I'll be back in about an hour, I need to go to my girlfriend's bakery which involves some driving, but this is a good opportunity to collect votes, as this is a sensitive decision!]]
>>
>>1629386
>> [ ] "I cannot believe you are the man we allow to manage our taxes, if you have such half-formed thoughts in your head as to incite a purge..."
>>
>>1629386
>> [ ] "Because we've laws, you fool, laws governing blood-debt! Have none of you seen the Oresteia? Do you want the harpies to tear you to shreds, for the Gods to take vengeance on you?..."

This sounds Greek to me.
>>
>>1629386
> [ ] "Supporters can be won to our banner more easily, if we are shown to be worthy! Supporters can be swayed, but an enemy fearing for safety with no way to turn will only fight like a cornered dog..."
> [ ] "I cannot believe you are the man we allow to manage our taxes, if you have such half-formed thoughts in your head as to incite a purge...
>>
>>1629386
> [X] "Because we've laws, you fool, laws governing blood-debt! Have none of you seen the Oresteia? Do you want the harpies to tear you to shreds, for the Gods to take vengeance on you?..."
>>
>>1629386
> [X] "Because we've laws, you fool, laws governing blood-debt! Have none of you seen the Oresteia? Do you want the harpies to tear you to shreds, for the Gods to take vengeance on you?"

Patrocleon hesitates, and, steeled, you step forward, filling the void of his silence with an aggressive speech.

"You speak without the authority of the King, so you would make these innocent, good people your murderers! Remember the tale of Homer, you narrow-mind, lacking in Blessed Arete - remember that you are now the man who suggests we destroy a generation that could fight in our armies, as the youth of Ithaka was destroyed when the King returned home. Would you so turn us against our own government, for fear of a neighbor? You are everything bad about the traditions of our people, Patrocleon. You ought to be torn down, lest you steal our taxes and spend them on fool's errands - or else buy the deaths of good Bactrians yourself on a whim!"

You captivate the crowd with your stirring words, and the former cries of rage turn to murmurs of approval and looks of admiration. Patrocleon growls in his throat. His grip on the fountainhead tightens in frustration. “You would dare speak ill of me, boy? You are but a pup! You are the son of Advankrator, a well-known captain in the Seleucid army! You are the son of a traitor to Baktria, a common jackal!”

Several men, those not swayed by your words, break off from the crowd. It seems that there are three of them, each armed with makeshift bludgeons. They look angry, the kind of anger rooted in a generation of inherited hatreds. Antimakos trots his mount forward, and you face off the group while the square grows silent. Your friend leans down to you, saying softly: "This need not devolve to bloodshed, the floor is technically yours!"

What do you do?
> [ ] Continue to push your rhetorical advantage
> [ ] Fight these rabblerousers
> [ ] Flee the scene
> [ ] Something else
>>
>>1630732
[[Normally an hour doesn't turn into 10 hours, but she wanted to do things today that didn't involve me writing a quest, alas. Hope you can forgive me.]]
>>
>>1630732
"To destroy what you yourself have helped to biuld yet for what aim? How do you possibly expect to better the lives of even the most devoutly hateful and inheretors if the most deep seated grudges if you tear down bridges with even less direction and support to rebiuld them? Have you even tried to parlay? Your case and demands codified and ratafied, peer reviewed in the greek fashion? You have no thorough basis for this outburst and if you succeed the majority in this crowd will be worse off for it and their children destitute after them!"
>>
>>1630732
>> [ ] Continue to push your rhetorical advantage
>>
>>1630732
>>1630801will do
>>
>>1630732
>> [ ] Continue to push your rhetorical advantage
>>
>>1630732
> [X] Continue to push your rhetorical advantage

Ignoring the approaching thugs, or rather, walking slowly towards the guards while speaking, you continue to demolish Patrocleon verbally. "You wish to destroy what you yourself have helped to build, yet for what aim? How do you possibly expect to better the lives of even the most devoutly hateful and inheritors of the most deep seated grudges if you tear down bridges with even less direction and support to rebuild them? Have you even tried to parlay? Your case and demands codified and ratified, peer reviewed in the Greek fashion? You have no thorough basis for this outburst and if you succeed the majority in this crowd will be worse off for it and their children destitute after them!"

Patrocleon laughs and waves his hand. "We true Baktrians will ignore this subversive behavior and march to bring justice to the faithless in any case! Starting with y--ARGH!!!" His words are cut off by a sickening crack, as a stone bullet finds its mark, carrying him bodily from the upper level of the fountain to splash, bleeding, into the water of the basin.

But you did not make the strike.

Turning, you see Antimakos spinning an empty leather strap. He grins at you. “Enough was enough, don't you agree?”

You approach the stunned crowd, Patrocleon's supporters cowed into lowering their arms without their ringleader to give them an air of authority. You reach into the pocket of Patrocleon as he lays dazed in the fountain, finding a coin, newly minted, of Diodotus of Bactria, the king. On the reverse is pictured Thundering Zeus himself. Climbing to the top of the fountain, you hold the coin aloft. “Baktria! In the days ahead, follow your king! Keep your families and homes safe, and above all remember, if Baktria will be free, she must not be governed by blind emotion. The middle path, as always, remains the path to perfection!”

The crowd roars in applause and chants your name excitedly. Eventually though, it begins to disperse, led away by members of the militia. Antimakos dismounts and walks towards you, clasping your hand. “My boy, finer words were never spoken." Lifting Patrocleon's body out of the fountain, you and Antimakos toss him onto the back of his horse. “We're taking this jackal to the city council. They'll know what to do with him.” Since there is no room on the back of Antimakos's horse, you decide to walk alongside him.
>>
File: Thureophoroi.gif (12KB, 160x210px) Image search: [Google]
Thureophoroi.gif
12KB, 160x210px
>>1630998
Arriving at the council building, an important looking toga-clad man comes out addresses you. “Antimakos, Agathon. What's the meaning of this? What have you done to Patrocleon?”

You point to the man as you fling him into the dust. “This man meant to incite a riot! He was in the square whipping a mob into a murderous frenzy, in which many Baktrians would have died thanks to his paranoia!”

The men of the council look grave and worried. They whisper amongst themselves while Patrocleon squirms painfully in the dirt. Finally, the head among them steps forward. He is Xanthos, the head of the council, an old, white-haired man, but a kind soul. “My sons, you have done the city a great service. I am proud of you especially, Agathon, for not losing your head to his taunts. Go with Antimakos to the armory. You may take what you need from there. We will not hold you responsible for our city, though we could use a man like you. You are free to do what you will from here, but accept such a token of our gratitude.

You nod and smile at Xanthos as you take your leave, walking with Antimakos to the armory. A two-story building made of precious stone and surrounded by high walls comes into view. A gate guard greets you, making way as he recognizes both you and your companion. Once inside, you are greeted with a rush of heat and sweat, as the weapons store shares a space with the smith. A ruddy-faced, muscular man caked in grime and wearing a leather apron roars his greeting to the both of you, tossing down his hammer. “Ah! There you are, lads!” he says, giving you a sweaty embrace. “I heard it all from one of the boys who works at the stables. Your father would be proud, he would!”

“So I've heard” you say with a smile. Midos here is in charge of the armory, working under Antimakos. He calls everyone “Lad” regardless of age. It's part of his charm. He bids you follow him to the stores, where rows of arms and armor bristle in silent strength.

“Have your pick of the lot, boys!”

The items you see include:

Arms:
Javelins, bows, kopis (short sword), spear, xystos (double-ended spear)

Armor:
Leather, Linothorax, Bronze, Scale armor for the body
Leather, Bronze helms
Hoplon, Thureos, Persian arm-greaves

[[Suggesta's Player Tips: The choices you make here are not final, but will have a dramatic effect on how you'll be able to fight and what enemies give you more or less trouble. Choose carefully!]]
>>
>>1631015
>Javelins
>kopis
>spear

>Linothorax
>bronze helm
>Thureos

Versatile, a role I should think fitting for a soldier of Baktria.
>>
>>1631015
I actually agree thoroughly. we will essentially be a heavy peltast. Hoplites are far too specialized and heavy for the environment of baktria but we still want to be protected well enough. A perfect mainstay battle trooper for the climate and geography.

Hopefully we can keep our sling. So skirmishing long distances isnt out of the question.
>>
>>1631015
You outfit yourself with the accouterments of a heavy peltast, much as the image of the previous post.

Thanking Midos, who sends a boy to help you lug all of that equipment back to your house, you leave with Antimakos. Once back at your place, Antimakos presses a bag of coins into your hands. “This is a gift from the city council, they found it in Patrocleon's chambers. It turns out that he had been embezzling money and is now in a cell for his misdeeds.

Donning your armor and taking up your shield, your kopis, and your spear and javelins (which you tuck into a saddlebag), you mount your trusty steed, whose name you cannot seem to recall!

Damn that Babylonian wine! What is your horse's name?
>>
>>1631148
Horses name?
Ill refer to my origional name suggestion >>1626831
>>
>>1631278
sounds good
>>
>>1631148
Ah yes, Soterios! Your trusty mount whickers at you as you climb aboard, a chestnut brown but for a streak of
white across his left eye. Your father used to joke that it was an old war wound, and the horse a grizzled
veteran. He was a playful thing, but strong and loyal.
You start towards the city limits, Antimakos accompanying you to the gates. “There is still much time before word even reaches Antiochus of this rebellion.
What will you do? Where will you go?"
>[ ] To the local shrine, all journeys must be blessed...if the gods hold us in favor, that is.
>[ ] To Arachosia, I must attend to my family before war reaches us.
>[ ] To the shrine and THEN to Arachosia!
>>
>>1632488
>>[ ] To Arachosia, I must attend to my family before war reaches us.
>>
>>1632488
>>
>>1632488

In times of uncertainty the gods and family are the only ture bulwarks a man has.
>>
>>1632488
Just a quick stop over and a prayer before riding off.
>>
>>1632488
>>[ ] To the shrine and THEN to Arachosia!
>>
>>1632488
>>[ ] To the shrine and THEN to Arachosia!
>>
>>1632488
>>
>>1632488

To local shrine, all journeys must be blessed..if the gods hold us in favor.

Prefer we make proper praise to gods and not something quick enter and leaving kind of thing.

Gods can be cruel assholes and I rather not to antagonize them with half assed efforts.
>>
when is OP ever not a faggot
>>
>>1632488
[[So sorry about the delay everyone. July 4th related travel, which I should have mentioned earlier.]]

You decide that paying respect to the divine before taking the path to your family, a journey of several days that runs through a mountain pass--sometimes home to bandits. Danger abounds, and you will take any help you can get. You will hurry, especially since men like Patrocleon seem to be springing up, taking advantage of the disorder for personal gain and a love of chaos. Bidding farewell to Antimakos, you set off along the road snaking into sparsely wooded hills towards the shrine.

But what deity does this shrine serve?

After some time, you round a dusty bend, the view opening up from brown grass and brown bushes to one of a domed structure supported by simple columns and ringed by leafless, gnarled trees. Men and women in dark brown robes walk together around the grounds, some carrying water from a nearby well, others holding scrolls, still others tending to the cleanliness of the temple. This place is definitely one of worship. You see a grizzled old man sitting against a rock, shading himself from the heat of the late afternoon.

“Excuse me sir…”

Before you can continue, the man jerks his finger to his lips and shushes you, a panicked expression on his face. “Hush, boy! This is no place to recklessly draw attention to yourself.” He beckons you and you approach, startled by his outburst. “This is a temple dedicated to Harpocrates, the child-god of silence and secrets. You must be careful where and when you choose to break his sacred quietude. The gods’ displeasure is very real, and their blessings equally so. Whenever you approach a temple of any deity, you must take great care. The gods will always be attentive to their visitors.”
>>
File: athena.jpg (73KB, 697x900px) Image search: [Google]
athena.jpg
73KB, 697x900px
>>1638465
The man stands, revealving a body sculpted by phyisical effort and wracked by the scars of battles long past. He looks you over, assessing you. “My name is Tutorius. I wonder if you have ever been truly instructed in the divine ways, the kind left behind when Megas Alexandros left the peoples of this region to melt together like bronze in the furnace. The divine forces in this world, as our Zoroastrian friends tell us, are locked in a struggle of good against evil. Whatever these forces deem good and evil, well, that is a much more complex question. The gods send out spirits called “urvans” by the Persians, joining to those they deem worthy as extensions of themselves. Only by unlocking the mysteries of each deity and offering them something they want will they choose you as a champion of their cause.”

You listen, not sure if you can believe something so steeped in the supernatural. “Do you mean to say that the great warriors of old and those of today act with the divine as part of them.” Tutorius smirks, discarding the cloak he wore on his broad shoulders. He blinks...and his eyes reopen with an ethereal light that dispels the shade you share. “Yes, we do.” A sound like a triangle being tapped in a canyon echoes through the air around you, as a wind blows quietly from the space around Tutorius. The night sky’s stars and nebulae flow as if from a forest stream following that wind, everywhere and nowhere at once, shining with a golden hue. A crested helm rises, long hair flowing, a cape billowing, a shield glinting, a spear bristling, feminine features coated in brilliant bronze and marble, reflecting starlight and the mists of Olympus, as Athena herself stands tall behind Tutorius, mimicing his pose.

Just as quickly, she was gone, and you are left to gape in wonder and awe at this man before you. Speechless as you are, he continues. “So you see, the gods will help you, but only if you please them. If you fail, you risk everything. Continue to the temple if you will, but ask Harpocrates what he wants carefully, and be very considerate of what you decide to give him. You can ask as many gods for their help as you want, but be aware that jealousy is divine in nature.” With that, Tutorius sits down in the shade again.

What do you do?
> [ ] Explore the temple
> [ ] Leave this place
>>
>>1638465
>>1638469
>> [ ] Explore the temple

>the child-god of silence and secrets.

Doesn't really sound like someone I'd want to be champion of, but I don't see anything wrong with looking and seeing.
>>
>>1638469
>> [ ] Leave this place
>>
>>1638469
> [ ] Explore the temple
Even if we do have other responsibilities, with something so grand as this we might as well try and uncover more secrets.
Also mumble
>so much for keeping secrets
Because come the fuck on the man just gave us one of his biggest secrets the fool.
>>
So is this going to end up you're the chosen one or wrath of the titans: baktria edition or something?
>>
File: temple_bo_by_dethling-d7qhhe4.jpg (809KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
temple_bo_by_dethling-d7qhhe4.jpg
809KB, 1920x1080px
>>1638469
You turn to thank Tutorius, but he has vanished. Something tells you that this is not the last time you will encounter that mysterious man.

Leaving your horse tied to a hardy-looking shrub near the temple, you approach the place, curious as to what lies within. The devotees continue about their duties, eerily silent. Even those who seem to interact with each other do so with their backs to a wall or a tree, one hand covering their mouth from view, their words barely a whisper. You cannot hear them, or--come to think of it--anything you would normally hear outside. The sound of the breeze is stifled as you walk between the columns and stand beneath the dome. No birdsong or buzzing of insects, no footfalls. You notice a spiral set of stairs descending into a level beneath the dome. As there is nowhere else to enter, you decide to investigate.

A torch-lit stairwell gives way to a smooth passage ending in what seems to be a large hall, with several rooms branching off near the stairs. All the doors are closed, with no discernible handles or keyholes on them. Secretive indeed. You move down the passage to the hall. Lit with soft yellow light, the hall seems to glow like candlelight behind old paper. In the center of the room, a rectangular pool of water lay, pristine, with no coins or offerings marring the flat, glass-like surface. A statue stood on the surface of the water, seemingly without any support. It showed a young boy balanced on one foot on the back of a crocodile, a finger held up to his lips, which curled upwards in a smirk. A vase-shaped crown stood on a head of curly, cherubic hair. In front of the pool, small rocks worn into smooth ovals lay scattered on a thoroughly scratched floor. Men with arms and armor stood on every corner of the pool, facing away from the statue, though you could not be sure they weren’t statues themselves.

What will you do? As this decision may require some nuance, feel free to discuss choices or describe actions.
> [ ] Attempt to communicate with Harpocrates
> [ ] Leave
> [ ] Something else?
>>
>>1638943
>> [ ] Leave
>>
>>1638943
>> [ ] Attempt to communicate with Harpocrates
>>
>>1638943
>[ ] Attempt to communicate with Harpocrates
Let's at least learn what he likes.
>>
>>1638943
> [ ] Leave
>>
>>1638943
>> [ ] Leave
>>
[[OP here, I'm returning from holiday stuff soon. I'm going to start having dedicated quest days, most likely on Saturday or Sunday. I've never run a quest before but I'll get the hang of the logistics soon. We'll pick up here when the next thread is made. I hope everyone is intrigued so far. Let me know what I can do better.]]
>>
>>1648424
Did you run this quest many years ago? I could have sworn I remember this, up to and exactly the same first two posts.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.