[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rogue Trader Quest #2 (reboot)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

It's been a while, but welcome (back) to the adventures of teenage rogue trader Emily Torvald (our dashing, mechanically-minded protagonist) and her barebones crew: slum fighter Kay Smith and posh boy Fitz, getting shit done in their old IG scouting vessel Scoutie.

When we last visited their lives, they were surveying the mysterious jungle world of Ator for the mining corp Celeres, and had landed at an unofficial colony. However, our heroine has been feeling uneasy and has called for backup from the ship.

First thread: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/qstarchive/1293367/

---

[Welcome to Ator], eh? Well, so far Ator is proven itself to frankly be a bit of a shithole. It's a classic jungle world: warm, wet, green, probably full of bizarre and dangerous creatures... like a hive world jacuzzi. The oh-so-lovely little "Lirtan" colony you're visiting right now -- read dodgy-looking ramshackle of a village -- hasn't let down your expectations. Because you never had any of it anyway.

You and Kay are standing -- this place seems too shit for benches, what can you expect for a whole planet whose only architecture style looks like a ogryn's handmade dollhouse? -- on a dirt path. Said wooden ramshackle squats humbly in front of you, being to "quaint" what a overweight grox is to a... a... you give up on trying to find something quaint in the galaxy to complete that comparison. A little bit of aluminium would go a long way here.

The two of you have been accompanied by "Karpov", a local and ever-so-fucking-friendly engineer who somehow raises the hairs on the back of your neck anyway. He's been avoiding your questions about the colony and generally appearing suspicious. In the rogue trader industry, suspicion keeps you alive, and you suspect this colony is made up of isolationist crackpots who wouldn't want your scouted info to get back to Celeres. In these situations, the las-pistol in your pocket eases your mind.

"Ahahaha," he says, wiping sweat from his brow with a rag. "Shall we go into the town? I'll give you a tour! I know it looks a little prosaic from here, but it really has a sort of homely charm... with... the wood and everything, you know? If you'll just follow me, we'll see the Colony Overseer, oh he's a great guy, you can figure out something together about this whole mining business..."

>Stall for time and wait for backup
>Turn back and return to the ship
>Pull a weapon
>Follow him into the town
>>
File: emily.jpg (380KB, 500x650px) Image search: [Google]
emily.jpg
380KB, 500x650px
>Emily Torvald

By the way, feel free to suggest write-ins.
>>
File: kay.png (2MB, 1061x1500px) Image search: [Google]
kay.png
2MB, 1061x1500px
>Kay Smith

Born just "Kay", adopted "Smith" as a surname for work in more affluent areas. She grew up in a hive world slum, working and fighting, until Emily took her on board. She's the muscle.
>>
File: fitz.jpg (69KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
fitz.jpg
69KB, 400x300px
>Fitz

A posh and sheltered young man from the upper classes, now in a life of "romantically daring adventure". Or possibly on the run. It's not your business.
>>
>>1624082
>Turn back and return to the ship
and keep a hand in the pocket with the laspistol. This is looking like all kinds of nope right now.
>>
>>1624755
yeah
>>
>>1624755
>>1626190
Got it, I'll be writing up soon.

This is /qst/ I can't afford to stand on voting time limits.
>>
>>1626242
Is this the same quest as the one before where we spent a session generating our ship and then proceed to ram it dick first into an Eldar trap because people didn't understand how weak we really were?
>>
>>1624106
Also, Patrician Taste m'Lord.
>>
>>1626280
Nah, different quest.

I'm starting my actual writeup right now btw, I had to wake up and eat breakfast.
>>
yeah
>>
>>1624082
You pause for a moment, then say regretfully: "Ahhh, no, I don't think we'll really have time, sorry. We've got this thing on, with, these people-"

"Can't miss it, I'm afraid," Kay chips in, "not after we bought tickets and everything."

"-right, right, so we'll need to be going now reaaaaally, though this place was lovely, so tranquil-"

"I liked the green bits," says Kay, "nice simple colour scheme."

Karpov looks anxious. "Leave? So soon? Don't be like that, there's no reason to go rushing off... you could stay just a little while, have a drink... we have alcohol..."

"We'll be leaving now," you say firmly. You ready your hand on the gun.

"But -"

"Goodbye."

He suddenly reaches into the pocket of his rough cloth trousers, going for a weapon.

>Pull the laspistol
>Lunge at him
>Dive out of the way and let Kay handle it
>>
>Lunge at him
>>
>>1626335
Lunging at Karpov, you smash into his chest just as he retracts his hand. You knock him to the dirt floor, focusing all your might on pinning his arm. Kay disarms him, relieving him of a large jungle knife and tossing it away.

She takes out her own gun, pointing it into his chest.

"There's been a misunderstanding," he protests, "you can't just attack me like this!"

"You think I'm an idiot, pal?" Kay asks. "Think I came down 'ere unarmed eh? We're gonna have a little chat now."

"Fuck you," he cries, "you can't hold me for ever!"

"What's it all about, huh?" She continues. "Why're you all on Ator? On this world? If this is a colony, where's the tech, where's all the metal? The gizmos, the gadgets, the paved roads, all that shit. When we talked to Celeres, they didn't know shit about you lot. Something ain't adding up here."

"I don't know anything! You're both crazy! Get the fuck off me!" he struggles.

Finally, you hear the roar of the ship's engines above you: Fitz has responded to the backup signal and is coming in to land. Now that the ship has arrived, you should probably hop off this planet pronto before anyone from the village comes to investigate the noise.

But you still have the impression there's a lot you don't understand about this place. But you've still uncovered good info for Celeres about the mere presence of a colony here, enough to justify your paycheck. But if there was, maybe, heretical cultism going on here, or even the obvious failure to provide tithes for the Guard, they could be reported for a bounty... and would probably all be killed...

But to get that info, you'd have to kidnap Karpov for questioning on board ship.

>Leave, you have enough info
>Kidnap and question Karpov
>>
>Kidnap and question Karpov
>>
>>1626369
The ship - a rather small IG microscout vessel - slams into the earth with a... uh... slam. The ramp opens and the two of you haul the struggling colonist aboard. As soon as the three of you are inside, the craft lurches into acceleration, taking back off into the sky.

A while later, the ship is "parked" a few hundred miles away, and Karpov is tied to an old chair with a variety of cables and ropes. Though Fitz is usually the team's social front, you suspect that interrogation is perhaps not his forte and so you've left him to monitor for signals.

You sit down on a barely less old and ratty chair, thinking about the right way to proceed.

"Why don't you just tell us what you know?" you ask in your most reasonable voice. "I mean, otherwise, we're going to have to kill you, right? Do you know how long it'd take to get the blood out of the walls? Have some concern for other people, seriously. We're all rational people, right? We can get along."

You pause. He says nothing.

"I mean, Lirta, right? You told us this was a Lirtan colony, eg. a colony from the planet Lirta. Kay, pull out the star chart."

She unravels a chart of this area of space, laying it onto an upturned crate. You take a pencil and draw a ring around a planet.

"This here is Ator. The jungle world. Lots of trees, probably lots of hideous and ravening beasts... and your colony."

"This right here - you point to a nearby planet - "is Cheladon. This world is right on your doorstep, but they didn't even know your colony existed. Looks like me to like there's something being hidden."

"You're constructing a fantasy," he replies, "this is ridiculous."

"Fine," says Kay, "whatever. I guess first we'll throw you out of the airlock, then we'll inform the guard outpost at Cheladon that Ator is full of tyranids, swarming everywhere like maggots on a dead mobster. Exterminatus, whole place gets virus-bombed, everybody dies. That's the bad end."

He turns pale. "N-nice try, no-one would actually do that. Like they're going to destroy a whole liveable planet, just on your word."

"No, but there'll be an investigation. And I don't think they'll be friendly when they find out guard tithes aren't being paid. (ps. we will still kill you)."

He sighs.

"You want the truth? Fine. FINE. The colony was founded by deserters from the Guard. They were to fight the Eldar, some war had sprung up and they were going to carted off to be lascannon fodder. But the warp jump went wrong, it put the ship out in the wrong place. They took their chance in the confusion and killed the officers, stormed them by numbers. Somehow they got the ship down to the planet, and it was covered by the jungle. That was 200 years ago, we're their descendants. Lirta? Doesn't even exist, it's a traditional cover story. Well? You going to kill me now?"

>Kill him, he's longer of use
>Keep him on board, go to Cheladon
>Return to the colony
>>
>>1626421
>Kill him, he's longer of use
>>
>>1626421
>Keep him on board, go to Cheladon
>>
>>1626421
>>Kill him, he's longer of use
>>
>>1626421
Huh. You certainly found something out there. Defection from the IG... that's deep shit. You figure you might as well report them at Cheladon, the mineral surveyors would likely find the ship anyway. Guess you're still pretty lucky there was no cultism going on (you hope); you don't want to touch that with a ten foot pole.

Seems like the colonist is going to be a hassle now -- "harbouring defectors" sounds like a capital crime in most places. And, though it might seem a bit callous, now that you've got the information you were looking for he's become of no real use to you. Fare thee well, Karpov.

"Uh," you say. "Actually, yeah. Sorry."

After the job is done, the mess cleaned up, and the body chucked unceremoniously out of the airlock, you sit down in the cabin with your two crew members. You sit in your customary threadbare swivel chair, Kay lounges on a crate and Fitz stands awkwardly. You _like_ this chair, and take a moment to shut your eyes and think.

"It would appear this section of our investigation has draw to its conclusion, no?"

Your moment of peace is shattered in Fitz's typically verbose manner.

"That's right, Fitz. We've got some info."

"Then, perhaps it would be expedient to our enterprise to "sally forth" back to Cheladon and the mineral extraction corporation?"

Hmmm... doesn't seem like there's much else to do around here.
>>
>>1626513
The business and administrative world of Cheladon could not be more different to Ator.

Where Ator had sprawling, uncontrolled jungle plants and fields of giant crops, Cheladon has tasteful potted ferns and rows of small, well-kept blossoming trees. In place of Ator's crude dirt and stone-paved paths, Cheladon has ruler-straight streets of square, tessellating tiles. On Ator it was warm and stifling humid, here it is actually cold, with a much drier air. In contrast to the jungle world's shamble of timber dwellings, Cheladon is covered with high towers of concrete and steel; and instead of farmers, robed men and women with folders of documents walk past you to and fro between the buildings.

You are here to meet with Celeres Mining Corp, though your scheduled appointment isn't until tomorrow. Perhaps you should go out and have a drink somewhere? This place looks to have a good living standard.

>Stay in the ship until tomorrow
>Go out and take a walk around
>>
>>1626532
>>Stay in the ship until tomorrow
>>
>>1626532
>>Stay in the ship until tomorrow
>>
>>1626536
It seems prudent to stay in the ship. No point going out and getting wasted before an important appointment. Thus, the three of you agree to stay inside and sleep, eating some fried algea bars with a bit of salted meat and one of the many varieties of teas / infusions which can be picked up on any planet or station.

In the morning, you head out to the meeting; scheduled for "0450" on Cheladon's customarily decimal time. You enter an eyecatching tower of a pale stone, wrapped by huge flowing girders of steel and bronze, and then check in at the front desk. After ascending through an elevator, you come to an intersection of two perpendicular, blue-tiled corridors (tiles inside? perhaps you shouldn't have come here after all).

Entering the appointment room, the first thing you notice is the huge glass window at its back wall, offering a pretty good view over... mainly other towers. There are some chairs and lounge-couches, and a large wooden table; by another wall is a fishtank. On the floor is a blue rug. Sitting at the table are an old man and a young woman, dressed in patterned blue robes; you met with them to be given the scouting job on Ator.

"Good morning," you say, "I'm happy to say that the scouting of Ator was a success."

>Mention the colony (Y / N)
>Mention the confession of desertion (Y / N)
>>
>>1626623
>>Mention the colony (N)
>>Mention the confession of desertion (N)
>>
I'm feeling a little tired so I'm going to cut this session short; thanks for playing so far, everyone.
>>
>>1626623
>Mention the colony (Y)
>Mention the confession of desertion (Y)

Thanks for running boss.
>>
>>1626623
>Mention the colony Y
>Mention the confession of desertion Y
>>
Also can we pick up or find in the ship a puppy like servitor skull to be adorable?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.