[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Of Claw and Steel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 1

File: Village.jpg (402KB, 800x565px) Image search: [Google]
Village.jpg
402KB, 800x565px
Once, long ago, the world was ours, and we shared it equally. The forest was our domain, and it stretched between all four corners of the world. We lived in peace and upheld the balance. There was death, but no suffering. All was part of the circle of life as ruled by the Great Spirits. However, all that changed when strange creatures arrived. The old Guardians called them ‘Humans’.

They came in the night and burned down our forests, killed our guardians, raped and pillaged our lands. There was no end to their crusade against us, and no reason behind their cruelty. They brought strange magics and weapons, and their presence proved ill to the land itself, the black morass they wield striking blind even the spirits themselves. We, the creatures of the forest, were brought close to extinction before our salvation came: The World Tree, Great Ari, the center and the roots of our Forest that once spanned the world, now blinded to many areas of the land thanks to the human incursion. Great Ari called us all back to its borders, and within, the last Spirit Guardian, the Great Horned Owl Nura placed three barrier spells that proved too powerful for even the Humans to break. Before he fell into a deep slumber from which there would be no awakening, he placed the new role of Guardianship upon the red-eyed Awoo Race. They would guard this new forest realm behind walls of magic until the end of time.

A century of peace has passed by since then. And yet the Awoo still train, in case the day comes…

----------

“HAA!” The cries of training echo throughout the field as you and your class swing wooden blades in forms long practiced, but still unperfected. Strike...strike...stab. “HAA!” Your white hair is frazzled, you’re panting a bit. Your arms are shaking. But you still press on.

“Again.” Your old instructor, an aged Awoo by the name of Sen marches between the lot of you. His voice is stern, but he has a lopsided smile on his face as watches your struggles with something approaching amusement as you all go through the form yet again. “Come now, those pathetic strikes wouldn’t harm a pup. Again!”

“I’ll show you ‘wouldn’t harm a pup’, old timer…” you hear the young Awoo to your left mutter quietly. He was never was good with taking slights to himself, but he’d have to learn to deal with it eventually, or else-

“Oh? Is that so?” That would happen. Sen has a toothy grin as he turns back around towards the sound of the voice, and the unfortunate youngling stiffens as Sen saunters up to him. “Want to prove that?”

cont.
>>
>>1618891
“I, uh...well…” He’s lost his nerve, no doubt, but at the same time, he refuses to lose face by answering no, it seems.

“Oh, come, come!” Sen seems to be actually quite jovial. “I’m sure a young, strapping lad like yourself can at least land a hit on an ‘old-timer’ like me, eh?” He even pats the kid on the back- you can hear the ‘thump’ and see him flinch. “Tell ya what, I’ll even let you bring someone else into it- just in case any of you might have been feeling the same. How about it?”

Bao quickly swivels his head around to the rest of the dozen trainees- almost as one they step back. This-

>includes you. Bao kinda deserves it for always being a jerk.
>doesn’t include you. Lu’s a hothead, but he’s a nice enough kid. You’ll back him up.
>>
>doesn't include you
Bros before olds yo. You gotta support your pal even if you don't quite agree with him.
>>
Tuesdays are kinda slow...
>>
>>1618892
>doesn’t include you. Lu’s a hothead, but he’s a nice enough kid. You’ll back him up.
>>
>>1618892
Sure?
>>
>>1618892
>>doesn’t include you. Lu’s a hothead, but he’s a nice enough kid. You’ll back him up.
>>
>>1618892
>>doesn’t include you. Lu’s a hothead, but he’s a nice enough kid. You’ll back him up.

If this is going to be a character defining moment, might as well take the challenge.
>>
>>1618892
>>includes you. Bao kinda deserves it for always being a jerk.
>>
>>1618892
>>1618939
>>1619183
>>1619452
>>1620599
>>1620640
As a result, it’s just you two standing where you originally were. Lu’s look is one of supreme gratitude, and you just give him a half-hearted smirk even though you know you’re going to be paying for it in a few seconds.

Sen looks, raising his eyebrow as he laughs at the two of you- it’s less mean than you expected, honestly. “Well, well! Someone at least likes you enough to bother! Now then, if you want to prove you’re so tough, then by all means.” And here he brandishes his sword as he looks over the two of you. “Come, then. Let’s see if anything’s managed to stick in those hard heads of yours.”

Lu nearly steps back- but to his credit you can see his eyes harden a bit, and he squares his shoulders before facing off against his Sensei.

You in particular are more inclined to:

>Focus on your speed- you’ve always been the winner in races; first to get to the training grounds, first to get to the mess hall, first to get your practice weapons- really, you’re just kind of an impatient ball of fluff in general. If you can surprise him with your speed, you might actually be able to touch him!
>Focus on your master’s technique- you’ve always been keenly observant of your surroundings, and it’s always been difficult for anyone to slip anything past you- with words or deeds. You’ve never fallen for a practical joke that wasn’t thoroughly planned. Maybe you can see a swing coming and counter it.
>Focus on your power- with yourself being as physically toned as you are, and Lu’s own skill, you might be able to actually overwhelm the old guy- if only for a second. Hopefully, that second will be enough to get wood on body.

(Right, then. Much better start today. Will allow 30 minutes for responses.)
>>
>>1620820
>Focus on your master’s technique- you’ve always been keenly observant of your surroundings, and it’s always been difficult for anyone to slip anything past you- with words or deeds. You’ve never fallen for a practical joke that wasn’t thoroughly planned. Maybe you can see a swing coming and counter it.
>>
>>1620820
>Focus on your power- with yourself being as physically toned as you are, and Lu’s own skill, you might be able to actually overwhelm the old guy- if only for a second. Hopefully, that second will be enough to get wood on body.
We gon' get swole, yo!
>>
>>1620820
>>Focus on your speed- you’ve always been the winner in races; first to get to the training grounds, first to get to the mess hall, first to get your practice weapons- really, you’re just kind of an impatient ball of fluff in general. If you can surprise him with your speed, you might actually be able to touch him!
>>
>>1620820
Will this determine our starting stats or something more?
>>
>>1620832
Starting combat trait.
>>
>>1620820
>>Focus on your power- with yourself being as physically toned as you are, and Lu’s own skill, you might be able to actually overwhelm the old guy- if only for a second. Hopefully, that second will be enough to get wood on body.
>>
5 minutes to go before writing! Seems like it'll be power focus otherwise.
>>
Writing, incidentally.
>>
>>1620820
>>1620822
>>1620837
>Perk obtained: [Young Wolf’s Strength]- Through rigorous dedication to training on your off-time, you’re a bit stronger than the average guardian trainee. +1 on the dice for Strength Checks

You quickly see Lu begin swinging; he was quicker off the line than you were, and you can already see Sen’s eyes gleaming in mirth as he begins to parry your friend’s eager strikes. You take a deep breath before charging in with him- hopefully you both can surprise him with your combined power as you deliver a mighty diagonal strike when his eyes flicker towards your ally. At first, you think it’ll connect easily- but then something happens, he moves too quick for you to see- and his blade intercepts yours, with Sen’s face wearing an expression that resembles nothing else so much as boredom. “I do hope you’ve got more in mind than just that, young one.”

Before you can answer, he rears back slightly, allowing your friend’s vertical strike to sail through the air between you two harmlessly. The two of you look at each other, then nod as one- with little other thought, you both charge your mentor in the hopes of a quick resolution to this little challenge.

You’ll show him!

>Roll 3d10
>Best of three (Strength)
>DC: 8
>>
Rolled 2, 3, 3 = 8 (3d10)

>>1620904
>>
Rolled 9, 1, 2 = 12 (3d10)

>>1620904
>>
Rolled 4, 7, 8 = 19 (3d10)

>>1620904
>>
>>1620923
I think this one means we passed?
>>
Rolled 10, 6, 8 = 24 (3d10)

>>1620904
Aight, let's do this.
>>
>>1620926
Yeah, it's best of three.
>>
>>1620944
I think we need at least 2 successes to pass.
>>
>>1620948
In any case, you got it: >>1620918 and >>1620923 both are over 8 regarding both total score and individual roll (that's without considering mine).

Usually though, best of three implies that only the three first posts be taken into account, mine happened because I hadn't updated the page then.
>>
>>1620953
I think it's number of dc beaten in 1 roll
0 - crit fail
1 - fail
2 - succ
3 - crit succ
at least that's how it was.
>>
>>1620961
More or less has it.

2/3 numbers in a roll need to beat the DC for the roll to 'pass'.

Number of passes determines the 'scale' of said pass, and generally operates like
said. Usually it'll be best 2/3, but I said best of three this time, so only one was needed.
>>
>>1620904
>>1620910
>>1620918
>>1620923
>DC Reached

The both of you clash your blades against his, both of you pressing full force against his strength- he keeps to one arm, his grin still fixed on his face as you both swing at him- Sen’s deftness with the blade is apparent and he looks all too comfortable as he parries both your blows. The shocked and surprised gasps of your classmates are actually kind of invigorating as Sen manages to dance and dance well around your blows- you can see why he’s a master.

Lu seems to recognize it as well, and suddenly with a shout he brings his all to bear in one singular strike- you can hear Sen grunt in surprise, and you quickly deign to do the same, and soon you’re both pushing on his blade with fevor. To your mild surprise, the grin’s never once left his face. And then, suddenly, he twists- and the both of you go sailing past him…

But then you see him flinch- only briefly, and it’s then you realize that you actually managed to make good on your boast as you see the flat of your wooden blade rub coarsely against his skin.

Even your faceplant on the ground does little to dissuade the grin on your lips as you hold a hand up in victory from your prone position. The rest of the class erupts in oohs and yells as Lu looks up in confusion- and more than a little hope.

Sen’s still standing, but shakes his head ruefully. “Well, now. Not too bad, after all. Your technique’s still sloppy, but I guess I can’t fault you on the force behind it. Took me by surprise. Guess I’ll have to start taking you pups more seriously...” And then the grin returns full force. “And THAT means harder training! BACK IN LINE, PUPS! I want you two to really sweat!”

The groans that leave you two do little to mask the chuckles from the rest. Still...you can’t deny part of you is pretty gleeful. As you trudge back to the rest of the group, you’re stopped by a pat on the shoulder, and you look up to your Sensei with an honest look of approval on his face. “Keep it up, Wu. You’ve got a ways to go, but you’ll get there.”

You beam, and your tail wags for the rest of the class. Sen was rarely truly impressed, but the fact that a little lass like you managed to pull it off? Even if only for a moment?

That speaks miles of your future, you’d hope.

cont.
>>
>>1621103
Your arms ache. You're panting up a storm, and quite frankly you're already ruing wanting to impress Sen. As you and the others trudge back along the trail towards home, one of the other girls in the class speaks up.

"Think we'll be getting our blades this year?" She's met with a round of hopeful assurances. "I can't wait! I want to be able to actually go out, and see things!" Kin was never the most patient...

A smaller boy, Jun, shivers. "And risk dealing with humans? I keep hearing horror stories...I'd rather just keep the peace around here. I'm good at that."

"Well, I'M not scared!" Of course not, Bao. "I'm ready to trash some humans!"

As he says that, a thunderous boom echos throughout the landscape, and everyone present stops in confusion. "The heck was that...?" Kin wonders.

A strange wailing follows- something that sends shivers down the toes of everyone present. Even Bao seems to have lost much of his bravado in favor of bafflement and fear. Another large BOOM, and suddenly everyone is a bustle of panic.

"We have to see what's going on!" Kin shouts- before anyone can say anything else, she's off like a shot, and already headed towards the source of the sounds. Bao yells at her, but follows, as do two more- Rai and Ren, a brother and sister duo, each with shouts to wait up.

Lu just grits his teeth. "This CAN'T be good...we need to help! Come on!" The rest of you bound after him, although whether to stop Kin or to join her, you can't say. The trees pass in a blur, and you’re pushing yourself just to keep her in sight. Kin was always the quickest one…but soon you find yourself taking the lead from everyone else, such is your adrenaline.

Soon, you’re within the village’s limits...and what you see makes your heart drop.

Huts torn asunder, civilians panicking in the streets and running for safety; already you see several guardians fallen, blood spilled on the ground… and in the center of it?

A strange creature, encased in iron, and dribbling out of it a black smoke- straight out of the legends. It’s tall, eclipsing the tallest Awoo, but its form is hunched and seemingly unnoticing of your presence. The armored body wields a massive blade, almost more a club, and with every step it seems to leave a tiny puddle of ichor in its wake. Where is it heading? And why is it alone?! More importantly...how did it get past the barrier!?

You can see Kin in the distance, a look of shock and fear on her face, even as she jitters in place- she’s stuck, unsure of what to do but needing to do something.. You can’t say you don’t understand. Against a creature like this, a direct attack would be suicide. But...how do you stop it?

Before that can be answered, the figure suddenly turns towards her.

>Distract it! You can’t let Kin get assaulted by that thing, no matter how fast she is!
>Take the opportunity and RUN. You need to find the elders- or someone that can take this thing down!
>Wait. Maybe...maybe you can sneak attack it!
>Other
>>
>>1621188
>>>Distract it! You can’t let Kin get assaulted by that thing, no matter how fast she is!
>>
>>1621188
>Wait. Maybe...maybe you can sneak attack it!
THE BRAVEST LITTLE WARRIOR
>>
>>1621188
>>Wait. Maybe...maybe you can sneak attack it!
>>
5 until lock.
>>
>>1621188
>>1621193
>>1621195
>>1621198
No, no...you can’t just let this happen- not to Kin, and not to anyone else! It’s not looking your way, and, well...you need something beyond just this dinky little- there! It’s...it’s not your blade, but maybe, just maybe it can do for now. You have to admit, you kind of feel guilty taking a fallen guardian’s blade, but it’s only temporary, and you need to stop this! Alright. Deep breaths. Careful. Focus…now!

Charge!

>Roll 3d10
>Two of Three to Pass
>DC: 6

(Will be a couple of hours until next post.)
>>
Rolled 6, 1, 3 = 10 (3d10)

>>1621319
What could ever go wrong...
>>
Rolled 1, 2, 6 = 9 (3d10)

>>1621319
>>
Rolled 2, 4, 4 = 10 (3d10)

>>1621319
>>
Well.

This is a great start. I don't think we're dead already but yeah.

Read the one shot. Curious to see how this is going to differ from the source inspiration.
>>
Rolled 2, 1, 1 = 4 (3d10)

>>1621319
>>
I'm back.

Also huh. Shame, that.

Writing!
>>
>>1621319
>>1621324
>>1621326
>>1621352
>DC Failed

For a brief period of time, you think you just might be able to take this thing off guard. It doesn’t seem to notice you at all as you put all your speed and strength into the run, and as you swing-

-you hear the clang of metal meeting metal as there’s a flash, and before you know it your borrowed sword is met with this creature’s massive blade. The thing barely looks at you before a shift of its shoulders sends you sprawling back and you hit the ground with a heavy slam, rendering your vision blurry and disoriented. Before you can react, a stinging pain erupts from your left hand that soon spreads throughout your entire body- it’s too much to bear to not cry out- but then a loud shout, and something crashing…

“Wu! Are you alright?!” You can hear the sounds of clashing and yells, but damnit, you just...can’t...focus…
“Of course she isn’t! Get her to the spring, hurry!” You hear several more shouts and you can feel yourself being carted off by rapid feet as the sounds of battle continue in the distance.

This...was not how this was supposed to go, was it? As you drift away into blissful unconsciousness, you can’t help but be mad at yourself…

>Roll 1d5, please. Best of 3.
>>
Still feeling out how harsh I want failure to be, so hopefully you'll put up with me for a bit. I keep saying 'I'll do it like this', but then something happens and you have these ideas and blahg.
>>
Rolled 3 (1d5)

>>1622204
>>
10 minutes to go.
>>
Rolled 5 (1d5)

>>1622204
>>
Fair enough, then. Writing!
>>
Who the fuck attack a battle machine that got pass your defenses when you can barely touch a kid's trainer? Anons are a little bit slow in the head sometimes.
>>
>>1622204
>>1622246
>>1622279
The next time you open your eyes, you’re in a hut. You’re not sure what happened, but as you look around you can see several adults standing to the side with you, as well as a couple of others- Lu is here, as well as Rai and Ren. You blink briefly, and you’re not sure what just happened. As you stir, the others turn to you- and you’re quickly besieged with hugs and overlapping concern.

It takes some time to get them all off of you, but before you can ask about what happened, Lu speaks up. “I can’t believe you- what possessed you to try and actually ATTACK that thing?!”

You find it hard to have your eyes meet his. “I...well, I wanted to keep it from Kin and everyone else. She’d been spotted, and-”

“I wasn’t actually asking!” Lu half-yells. “Kin told me everything- she was the one who saved your life right back, by the way. So you’d better thank her.” Agh. Yeah, you really should, if that was the case. Although that does remind you- you quickly look at your left arm; it’s wrapped in bandages. You can vaguely remember the pain that went through your body...not that you really WANT to. Lu quickly guesses what you’re wondering. “That thing’s smoke was starting to practically eat at you. Kin grabbed you and hauled you off to the Sacred Spring.”

You can barely remember that- the Sacred Spring was said to be a holy area, where one of the first Spirit Guardians rose into the world. The waters there are said to be capable of healing grievous wounds- but the amount of it was limited. To have used some on you…

“Seems like it worked, so I’d call it worth it.” Lu’s not meeting your eyes, but he’s smiling nonetheless, if only lightly. “You kind of helped anyway, actually. The intruder’s gone...but the barrier’s fallen. We...we had to retreat behind the second one.

Your shock must be clear on your face. Lu can only shrug in dismal acceptance. “You’ve been out for a while, y’know? At least a day. I’m guessing you got a lot of questions, though. I wasn’t there for all of it- none of us were after the Elders arrived, but...”

>Yes...but you’ll find out first hand. You need to get out of here.
>Might as well ask anything that comes to mind.
>Other
>>
>>1622607
>>Might as well ask anything that comes to mind.
>>
That was supposed to be an 'input questions' prompt, sorry. Will resume after sleep and whatnot.
>>
>>1622607
>Yes...but you’ll find out first hand. You need to get out of here.
>>
>>1622544
DESU, I chose this mostly because it seemed in character and not because I expected us to be able to take him on.

I've read the original, you know?
>>
>>1622607
supporting >>1622763
>>
>>
Alright, resuming in 10 minutes.
>>
>>1623927
So?
>>
>>1623998
Roommate needed last minute help with a technical thing, sorry. I'm going with >leaving for now for logistical purposes. Still writing.
>>
>>1622607
>>1622763
>>1623998
>>1623069
You let out a groan of frustration- and mild pain- as you pull yourself over the edge of the bed, much to everyone’s consternation. But you're just not really wanting to sit around when something like this just happened. You have to go and see for yourself, and if they don't like that, well...

“Are you sure you want to go out there right now?” The way it's phrased by the older lady makes it sound like more of a desire to keep someone safe, rather than a genuine question- someone not you. “I’m sure at least one of the Elders will be coming to see you shortly; if you were to be patient until then-”

“Nah,” you quickly interrupt. “I'll go take a look for myself, and I'll be back soon enough.” You begin to march out, but before you can actually leave the gut however, you're stopped by a hand on your shoulder. You turn back to see Lu looking at you with something of a grave expression on his face. His eyes are still unwilling to meet yours it seems and you find yourself wondering exactly what's the cause of it. Before you can ask, however, he finally speaks up.

“I'll come with you. You'll probably want someone along to help explain things.” He doesn't elaborate, but you can see him glance towards your bandaged arm, and you find yourself wondering about the worst of the damage. You can still feel all of your arm, and aside from some itching, it doesn’t hurt…

Still, the two of you head out, and you find yourself having to adjust to the sun’s glare, even this far in the forest. It’s...surprisingly tranquil, considering what happened earlier. “So, where do you wanna go first? I know the Realm Guardians are still working overtime- if you’re really worried about the situation, they’d be the first to go to for now. Sen would be glad to see you’re still alive, too. He’s off talking with the Elders. And Kin and the others are wondering about you. We could find them. Then again-” he’s cut off as a growl erupts from your stomach. “Or...or that.”

>Find Sen first. He IS your teacher- and kind of the closest thing you have to a parent.
>Shouldn’t keep Kin and the others waiting. They saved your life.
>No, you want to know what all happened. Find one of the Guardians.
>Other
>>
>>1624074
>>Find Sen first. He IS your teacher- and kind of the closest thing you have to a parent.
>>
>>1624074
>>Shouldn’t keep Kin and the others waiting. They saved your life.
>>
>>1624074
>>Find Sen first. He IS your teacher- and kind of the closest thing you have to a parent.
>>
We're finding teach first. Writing!
>>
>>1624074
>Find Sen first. He IS your teacher- and kind of the closest thing you have to a parent.
>>
>>1624074
>>1624079
>>1624099
>>1624158
Although you ARE hungry, letting the others know you’re awake takes priority. And of those... “No, no... let’s find Sen first.” You owed a lot to him...and probably an apology for doing so poorly. He’s the first one you want to talk to after the issue that happened. Seeing him would probably sooth you a bit, if nothing else.

Fortunately, Lu agrees. “Alright, then, follow me. Hopefully his meeting with the Elders has finished. It’s not too far away, at least.”

As you both walk, you do notice that the air seems a bit more tense as you pass others. It only makes sense, but it still makes you nervous. You can see several others give you strange looks, or look at your bandaged arm. Seems like people didn't expect you to survive, or might be wondering what is underneath. Lu’s doing his level best to avoid making eye contact with anyone, but he seems nervous none-the-less. Whenever you turn to meet their faces, they suddenly jerk away sometimes; well, it might be rude to stare, but you can understand it. They don't need to be so shy about it.

It's a few more minutes before you reach the area where the Elders are meeting- You can see Sen already walking away, a troubled look on his face as the group disperses. Almost instinctively he turns to you and you can see a surprised look on his face before it evens back out. He’s not smiling...but as he gives you a small node, it doesn’t seem like he doesn’t want you around, and it transitions into a soft smile as you get closer. “Wu. I’m glad you’re up. How much have you heard?”

“Not a lot,” you respond. “Just that that... thing is gone, at least, and that the barrier was destroyed. That’s...really not good.”

Sen barks out a single laugh. “That’s putting it mildly. But come, let’s walk and talk. Lu, you’re free to come with us as well.” He nods, and the three of you begin walking back towards the inner area of the second village.

“So, we don't know quite what that was, but it matches the description that is in the stories. That's disturbing. According to witnesses at the scene, there was basic black sludge that covered a portion of the barrier and seemed to melt right through. I can't tell you too much because you're not a Guardian-yet- but fortunately your little attempt as foolhardy as it might have been help to distract it for the rest of our guardians. It cost a lot of damage, many lives, and we're not sure if the area that was within the first barrier will be livable for some time...but it's better than the possible alternative.” He stops here. “However… the fact that happened is troubling. It means that the humans are moving back in on our territory and very clearly they aim to finish what they started long ago. It's time for us to start fighting harder.” Here he takes a deep breath. “I've been recommended to rejoin the Blood Guardians as a full captain… and the Elders have recommended the class for full Guardianship. Yourselves included.”

cont.
>>
>>1624329
Both Lu’s and your jaw drop as Sen continues. “It’s not my first choice of action, and I said I’d leave it up to you, which the Elders acquiesced to.” Here, he frowns deeply. “Personally, I’d rather have you all train for at least six more months more before getting thrown into the deep end like this, but the Elders are concerned that we’ll be involved in all out war before long, and they need young Awoo that are capable. I don’t doubt anyone’s potential, but…” he sighs. “I feel as though it’s just too soon. I’m going to be asking everyone in the class individually, and I’ll certainly do my best to train you in any spare time I have, in addition to your replacement teacher, whether you agree or not, but since you’re both here...”

“I’ll do it!” Lu quickly yells. “I know I can make it!”

Sen snorts. “Of course.” And here he turns to you. “What about you, Wu?”

>Agree to join the Guardians early. (Possibility for unique traits/perks)
>Decide to delay Guardianship and train regularly. (Extra Stat Gain)
>>
>>1624340
>>Decide to delay Guardianship and train regularly. (Extra Stat Gain)
>>
>>1624340

better safe than sorry
>>
>>1624340
>>
>>1624340
>>Agree to join the Guardians early. (Possibility for unique traits/perks)
>>
Slow yet steady road. Alright, then.

Writing!
>>
>>1624340
>>1624350
>>1624353
>>1624366
All things considered… you’re not the biggest fan of the idea of getting even further in over your head. As much as you dislike the idea of getting left behind in a way, it’s your all too recent memories that cause you to think twice about the situations. “I...don’t think I’m ready for that,” you get out. “I’d like to train more before I go out into the field.” Lu looks at you in mild surprise, while Sen appears to breath a sigh of relief.

“Glad you agree with me,” Sen says as he turns to the other Awoo. “I wish you’d do the same, Lu, but I won’t argue the matter. Who knows, you might even surprise me.”

“I’m just surprised Wu isn’t up for it,” he mentions, turning to you. “I’d have thought you’d be right there besides me, especially after- well.” He looks back down at your arm again, and quiets up; the implication is clear.

“Injuries are a part of life, Lu, especially in the Guardians.” Sen admonishes. “The fact that she can understand that and not be driven by payback for it is admirable. Speaking of,” His face changes to concern. “How’s it feeling, kid? I didn’t see it all myself, but from what I was told you had it pretty bad. Took a lot to fix you up, right?”

“It’s tingly a bit, but...I think I’m alright for the most part,” you admit.

“Hm. Let’s unwrap those and take a looksee, then…” He reaches out for your arm-

“Wait, Master, don’t you think this should come later?” Hm? You turn to Lu, who’s fixing him with a strange look. “You said you were going to go see to everyone else if they wanted to join the Guardians or not, right? This’ll probably take some time to rewrap carefully, from what I saw the medics do. You should go and get your answers from the other students- they should be around the village square. I’ll take care of Wu, and I’ll let you know how things are when you get back.”

His voice is even, but Sen squints at it nonetheless. Heck, even you can tell something’s off about his suggestion. It can’t be that bad...can it? To your surprise, Sen straightens back up. You're not sure why, but he's actually about to let this go for now, it seems...

>Let Sen take a look. Even if it is bad, he’d know best about what to actually do about it.
>Lu’s not stupid. If he’s trying to get Sen to not look, there has to be a reason. Back him up.
>Other
>>
>>1624583
>Let Sen take a look. Even if it is bad, he’d know best about what to actually do about it.
>>
And going to have to stop here for a bit. Will finish up later.
>>
>>1624583
>>Lu’s not stupid. If he’s trying to get Sen to not look, there has to be a reason. Back him up.
>>
>>1624583
>>Lu’s not stupid. If he’s trying to get Sen to not look, there has to be a reason. Back him up.
>>
...At first I thought it was just like a gnarly burn or maybe we were missing something on our arm but now ...
>>
>>1624583
>>1624940

Forgot to actually paste vote.
>>
Wonder if we'll get infected by the shitty weird human parasite, pass through a barrier and gain regen powers this time round
>>
>>1625371
Do you really think that'll happen?
>>
>>1624583
>>Let Sen take a look. Even if it is bad, he’d know best about what to actually do about it.
>>
>>1624583
>>
Wow. Tied, huh? I need to stop ending runs on options. Either way, today might be a shorter one.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d2)

>>1626787
Yesterday wasn't great for me. Anyway,

1: Look
2: Don't.
>>
>>1624583
>>1624678
>>1624964
>>1626175

You’re nervous, but if it’s bad, you want to know sooner than later- and besides, Sen is probably the best Awoo to know about it if something’s wrong, really. “It’s fine, Lu.” You’re already taking the bandages off. “He can take a look.” That doesn’t stop your heart beating faster, however...and as Sen steps up, he’s already scrutinizing the little he sees. “It’s been tingling a little, but it’s mostly been fine, so-” And it’s then you finally get a good look at your hand, sentence dying on the wind then and there.

At first glance, it seems like it’s a burn- a blackened portion of fur that seems to travel down to your wrist in a scarring pattern. You quick it a quick flex here and a twist there- it all seems alright, to you, but there’s that strange tingling again, and rapid-fire thoughts run through your head about this. Lu just looks ashamed. Sen seems alarmed as well, his eyes going wide, clearly not sure what to make of this. “What in the spirits’ name…?”

“I don’t know,” Lu replies. “If...if you have to know the whole story, that THING stabbed her before Kin could hit it. It started spreading throughout her body...that’s why we said to get her to the spring as fast as possible,” he explains. “I don’t know how she managed to hold on, but she did, and the spring healed...well, most of it. For some reason, it couldn’t get rid of that part, though- the spring just started foaming and sizzling...at first we thought it was hopeless, but after a couple of minutes where it didn’t start spreading again, we decided, well...worth a chance and see. Bandaged up her arm, and here we are.” Lu gives a deep sigh after the explanation, clearly mentally exhausted by the recollection. “Me, Kin, and a couple of the others are the only ones who know about it right now.”

“And you thought this was WISE?!” Sen shouts. “If this condition is serious enough to- oh, Spirits forbid it’s CONTAGIOUS somehow…” He growls, and he seems to pace around for a few moments- before finally sighing. “I’m going to HAVE to talk to the Elders about this, you realize. You’re going to have to come with me, too.” Lu flinches at that. “You might’ve just ruined your candidacy before you GOT it, pup.”

cont.
>>
>>1629936
Lu wilts at that, and part of you stings for having been the cause. “I just...wanted to help her out. And I don’t think it is! It looks exactly the same as it did a day earlier! I think that if nothing else, the Spring’s waters would keep it at bay- if it’s not already healed and that’s just a bad scar, even!”

“The Elders will be the ones to determine that,” Sen immediately barks. And here he turns to you- his face softening a bit. “You should wrap that back up, and get back to the cabin. I don’t want to risk you infecting someone else with that. At least, not anyone who hasn’t been near you already. I’ll...hm….ah, I’ll get someone to bring you some food, alright?” You’re too numb to do anything but nod. “Then I’ll see you later. Make SURE not to touch anyone, alright?!” Another nod. “Lu, come on.” With a singular look back at you, Lu sighs and trudges behind his master, and you’re forced to wonder what all is about to happen to you.

It’s about an hour later; you’re back in your temporary hut, sitting on the bed and still digesting the turn of events. Fortunately Sen was good on his word, sending back Kin with a stacked plate of food for you before long. She lights up upon seeing you on the bed, although you find it hard to smile back at you. “Hey, crazy girl! Glad to see you’re up and at ‘em! Heard you weren’t cleared to go anywhere else right now, though, and they said I was good for getting near you. Probably because of earlier.” She shivers as she sets the plate down. “Eugh. Man, that was scary.” She plops down on the foot of the bed and kicks her feet. “Can’t believe something like that made it past a barrier...Master Sen said that we’re gonna be recruiting for Guardians sooner than normal because of it. He mention it to you?”

“Yeah.” It’s all you can really get out. “I turned it down. Don’t think I’m ready yet.” You mentally shiver as you remember it. “...I still need to thank you for saving me. So thanks.”

“Bah, not a problem. You saved me first! And really? Not going for it? Huh. Wouldn’t have struck me as the type,” she muses. She doesn’t elaborate, however, just tapping her feet on the ground as she watches you idly.

>So...what do you think that thing even was?
>How bad was I? Lu said you’re the one who helped bring me to the spring.
>How are the other students?
>Other
>>
>>1629938
>>How bad was I? Lu said you’re the one who helped bring me to the spring.
>>
>>1629938
>>How are the other students?
>>
5 minutes to go.
>>
>>1629938
>How bad was I? Lu said you’re the one who helped bring me to the spring.
>>
Locked, writing! All the gritty details.
>>
>>1629938
>>1629959
>>1630062
There’s a bit of silence before you decide to break it. “So...How bad was I? Lu said you’re the one who helped bring me to the spring.”

Kin nods rapidly. “Yup! Kicked the dude in the head, got him to stumble away, and then everyone was all around you- we were all about to face off against the thing- but then the combined forces of the Realm and Blood Guardians showed up, and they were able to fight it off, apparently.” She sighs. “A lot of Awoo were lost, though. That thing was just...scary. Like even it just EXISTING was wrong…and that black sludge just scares me. Speaking of, you...weren’t looking too great, honestly. By the time I’d gotten you to the spring, the stuff was all up your left side and it was spreading to your face…” she shivers. “I...ran REALLY fast. Didn’t want any of that stuff to touch me, no offense.”

“None taken,” you assure. “I wouldn’t have wanted you to, either. But you made it, huh?”

“Yeah...” it seems like she’s in a bit of a state- you can’t really blame her for that, either. “I’m just glad you’re all healed up. Well- mostly,” she amends, looking at your re-bandaged arm. "You were hurting a lot on the way there. Couldn't stop groaning. A couple of times it sounded like you were sleeptalking, but I could never quite make out all of what you were saying."

"Really?" That's strange.

She nods. "Yup. You sounded mad- don't blame you, but there was something you kept repeating- 'go h-'

Before she can continue, however, you both hear a knock at the door. “Master Sen says you can leave now, Kin,” the voice of one of your caretakers floats through. “He needs to talk to Wu alone.”

“Aww, okay!” With that, she hops up, and she gives you a quick wave. "Maybe we'll talk later?" You nod, and she leaves, Sen and Lu quick to come in. Sen’s face is grave.

“Well. I spoke with the Elders briefly, and they...aren’t happy. BUT.” He cuts you off before you can say anything about it. “They’re willing to not execute you just yet, on my suggestion, Lu’s pleading and his own witnessing statements. But you’re going to be...heavily restricted, in terms of being able to move around, and other such things. They’re also willing to allow you Guardianship, again, with restrictions. You’ll have someone nearby at all times keeping a close eye on you. Who exactly, is yet to be determined. Your training will be carried out one-on-one by a special instructor. These terms are non-negotiable.” He frowns, his expression clearly thinking about something- it only lasts for a moment before he just shakes his head. “Sorry, kid. If nothing else, it’s good you told us about it now- otherwise they’d have been real pissed off.” He says this looking towards Lu, who just has a grouchy and yet sad look on his face. “Lu here’s lucky he still gets Guardianship. But, that’s all I’ve got for now. Any questions?”

>None. You’re...going to have to get used to it then, you suppose.
>Yes, actually. (Insert question here.)
>Other
>>
>>1630283
>>None. You’re...going to have to get used to it then, you suppose.
>>
>>1630283
>>None. You’re...going to have to get used to it then, you suppose.
>>
That'll work, then! Writing!
>>
>>1630283
>>1630396
>>1630444
“No...nothing, sir.” You’re going to have a while trying to internalize all of this- none of it sounds exactly pleasant to you, but...well, it’s the best you’ve got going for you, you suppose. Your arm buzzes and tingles as usual, and you realize that it’s something you’re going to have to get used to or ignore.

Sen nods. “Good. For now, you’ll be kept away from the general people until your escort arrives. You’ll also be moved to a temporary location further out.”

Lu just sighs. “I wish this hadn’t happened…”

“Me either, kid.” Sen agrees. “But it’s the will of the Elders, and I can’t say it doesn’t make some sense. Heck, the only reason we’re around her is because we’ve ALREADY been around her. But, come on. You’ve got to get initiated, and we’ll discuss your team placement as well.” They both turn back to you before leaving. Sen tries to keep a solid facade, but the way he can’t meet your eyes speaks volumes. “Good luck, kid.”

As they both leave, you find yourself short of breath as you collapse back on the bed, staring at your traitorous hand. Just what IS the cause of that?

cont.
>>
>>1630659

It’s a couple of days later- you’re bored, you’re frustrated, and you’ve been relying mostly on self-training as usual to keep yourself active, when someone crowds through your door. He’s a older Awoo, who vaguely reminds you of Sen, only he seems like he’s far too old to be fighting, judging by his lengthened fur and hunched back. He looks at you with a scowl, and you can already tell this is going to be painful.

“Others told me that I was s’posed to be trainin’ you. Privately. Told me the whole story. You start acting up, we’ll put ya down, hear!?” He turns away before you can respond. “Now pick up that piece a’ wood and follow me. You’re not gonna go infectin’ anyone any time soon.”

And so your training begins. The old master (who’s name he refused to give you for one reason or another) is no Master Sen. He’s vicious.

“Keep swinging! You better not stop until you can’t even grip that sword or I’ll hit you for every second of my time you waste!”

He’s mocking.

“Thirsty? Well, we need to save it for Awoo that are ACTUALLY fighting! Twenty more laps!”

And on the whole, he’s just not pleasant to be around. Especially when he started reminiscing about his younger years.

However, you persevere. Through the six months of solitude, of disdain, and of hellish training, you put your head down, endure the constant jeers, yelling, and backbreaking. Your hand sometimes feels like it’s on fire, such is its itching feeling, but you’re not even sure what that is- it always goes away, and the blight on your hand doesn’t seem to spread, either; you hope that it’s partially due to your training.

>Gained [+] to Combat!

The old master was nothing if not thorough, but out of everything, what stuck with you the most mentally was:

>His constant lessons on battle tactics and strategy, and some of his history tales actually were kind of interesting... (+ to Knowledge)
>His grueling physical regime. He ran you like no one’s business, and you’re constantly hurting at the end of the day, even for you. But it helped, you can’t deny that, and you found yourself thankful. (Extra + to Combat)
>How he constantly hurled physical abuse at you. You HATED it, and through it all you feel like you’ll do your best to never be so crude to anyone else. (+ to Social)
>>
>>1630674
>>His constant lessons on battle tactics and strategy, and some of his history tales actually were kind of interesting... (+ to Knowledge)
>>
5 minutes before writing.
>>
>>1630674
>>1630690
He rarely actually shut up about the old days when he wasn’t breaking your body- only when he did, it was usually to start up talking about combat tactics he used to use and in old skirmishes he took part in. If nothing else, those were somewhat interesting, but he’d always lace them with ‘how he would’ve done it’. It’s a surprising amount of tactical acumen from a man with his attitude, and you actually found yourself vaguely interested in his tales when it came to that. Not to mention his constant talks about the countryside, of legends about the humans and what they could do, and about the history of the conflict. On the whole it was probably the least frustrating part of the whole experience.

>+ to Knowledge!

It’s one day when you’re again being ran around that, to your surprise, you see a number of Awoo approaching the small area that’s been home for you. You haven’t heard much of the state of the conflict these days, and the old master’s been keeping a VERY close eye on you. Part of you wants to yell at them for your isolation, and your hand begins tingling again...but you do nothing but bow as they approach.

They ARE the Elders, after all.

“Xai, we’re here for the girl.” Is their way of announcement. The Awoo at the front, dressed in wargear and the lady you know to be Elder Yurei speaks. “We believe this has been sufficient time to determine her relative ability and safety.” At least you know his name, now.

“Eh?” Xai seems a bit confused- but only for a second. “Fine. Take ‘er. She’s been fine, I s’pose. Nothing out the ordinary.” Huh. The way he’s been treating you would make you think he’d be cursing your existence.

“Is that so?” Yurei nods. “Good.” They spare few words on you, but at a nod, they begin to walk away, with you following. You soon find yourself brought to a secluded area, a circular copse with only a small clearing for everyone. It is here that the Elders stand opposite you, and you feel that tingling in your hand again- as well as a healthy dose of fear.

“We will be brief. You will join the Blood Guardians. You will be assigned a watcher, and you and they will be applied to a team to fill out their recent fallen comrades. You will fulfill the duties of a Blood Guardian as expected, and you will report to your watcher should anything turn amiss. Understood?” That was...sudden. And blunt. But it IS what you wanted, and you find yourself nodding in understanding. “Then, Wu, Blood Guardian of Team Eight, meet your watcher.”

From out the forest, comes a young Awoo, your elder by a couple of years, it seems. The first thing you notice about him is that he seems to have a nasty scar on his shoulder, stretching to under his clothing.

The second is the stare of complete mistrust that he’s giving you.

“Name’s Zhao.” He gives you a once-over. “Let’s hope this works out. Don't wanna have to kill you any time soon.”

You’re already having worries.
>>
Done for now. Thanks for playing- hopefuly we can get into the real meat and potatoes of things soon.
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.